Unusual SAS processing Problem

Dear All,

 I am using proc Glimmix for my models. Recently the problem I am
facing is like

1) even if I see that convergence criterion is satisfied machine takes
1 hr 52 mins to give the output.

2) I have tried various options but always the same result.

3) I have had run the same model before & it took few seconds to
process the results.

4) I have deleted all the files in SAS TEMP folder still the result is same.

 I have adequate space (20 GB free) & 1 GB memory to process data. I
will appreciate if someone can point where to look at in this
situation.

 Regards
 Sudip

On Apr 2, 2:50 pm, sudip.memp...@GMAIL.COM (sudip chatterjee) wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>  I am using proc Glimmix for my models. Recently the problem I am
> facing is like
>
> 1) even if I see that convergence criterion is satisfied machine takes
> 1 hr 52 mins to give the output.
>
> 2) I have tried various options but always the same result.
>
> 3) I have had run the same model before & it took few seconds to
> process the results.
>
> 4) I have deleted all the files in SAS TEMP folder still the result is same.
>
>  I have adequate space (20 GB free) & 1 GB memory to process data. I
> will appreciate if someone can point where to look at in this
> situation.
>
>  Regards
>  Sudip

If you have a very large data set, and/or if you have many many many
class variable levels, and/or you have specified an extremely complex
analysis, and/or you have asked for options that are time consuming to
compute, you can see this problem.

So, to help figure this out ... try this on a smaller data set ... try
fewer class variable levels ... try a simpler model ... try fewer
options ... cross your fingers.

--
Paige Miller
paige\dot\miller \at\ kodak\dot\com

Re: Unusual SAS processing Problem
What I am trying to understand is if the same model with same specification same class variables and same dataset ran well last week then sudenly what happened that is is taking 1 hr 51 mins to process ? Regards Sudip On Apr 2, 4:31 pm, sudip.memp...@GMAIL.COM (sudip chatterjee) wrote: > What I am trying to understand is if the same model with same > specification same class variables and same dataset ran well last week > then sudenly what happened that is is taking 1 hr 51 mins to process > ? > > Regards > Sudip Well, it sure would have been nice if you had provided that information in the first place. Exact same data? Exact same PROC GLIMMIX code (no options have changed)? If those things haven't changed, then you have to look at your computer. Are other tasks (like a virus checker or other programs) running and using a lot of CPU when you run SAS? Is the network unusually slow? Has any hardware or software been added? Those are the only things I can think of if everything else has stayed the same. -- Paige Miller paige\dot\miller \at\ kodak\dot\com ...

Re: Unusual SAS processing Problem #2
Sudip, If nothing changed regarding the data set or code, then I don't think anyone on the list is better qualified to answer the question than you. Are you running SAS from a stand alone machine or via a network? Have you updated SAS during the time period of concern? Are your data on your machine or on a network? When did you start your current SAS session? Obviously, something has changed between the two runs. What may have changed? Art --------- On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 15:31:39 -0500, sudip chatterjee <sudip.memphis@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >What I am trying to understand is if the same model with same >specification same class variables and same dataset ran well last week >then sudenly what happened that is is taking 1 hr 51 mins to process >? > > Regards > Sudip ...

SAS/Warehouse Administrator Problem?? or SAS/ACCESS problem??
hello, I've built a process in SAS/Warehouse Administrator, where i'm trying to extract distinct cities from the 3 tables(source schema) in Oracle into a new table (target schema) called CITY and again into UniqueCity (target schema) bcos of some redundancy. The process looks like this. Unique City | | mapping | | CITY ...

SAS/Warehouse Administrator Problem?? or SAS/ACCESS problem?? #2
hello, I've built a process in SAS/Warehouse Administrator, where i'm trying to extract distinct cities from the 3 tables(source schema) in Oracle into a new table (target schema) called CITY and again into UniqueCity (target schema) bcos of some redundancy. The process looks like this. Unique City | | mapping | | CITY ...

SAS CONNECT/SAS Display Manager or BASE SAS
Hi, We have SAS EBI Server license. Many or our SAS Programmer wants to use BASE SAS (or SAS Display Manager) instead of SAS Enterprise Guide. But As you know Windows Server comes with only two terminal licenses. I see that we have SAS/CONNECT license (which came with BI suite). Can I install BASE SAS on PC and use SAS/CONNECT to run code on the server? Or Do we have to buy PC license for BASE SAS? What's options we have. Please help. Thanks On Oct 21, 8:11=A0am, abcu...@YAHOO.COM (Abc Unha) wrote: > Hi, > We have SAS EBI Server license. Many or our SAS Programmer wants to =A0us...

SAS Installation problem
All, This is a problem I have not come across before. A friend of mine is installing SAS on his laptop. The installation proceeds smoothly without errors, but the moment he runs SAS and tries to work in it, the SAS window is closed and SAS.EXE is renamed to SAS.EXE.BAK in the "Program Files" directly. Is it a problem of the Anti-Virus (McAfee Small Business) or a virus? Thanks in advance. Anindya On Aug 19, 8:12=A0am, anindya.lugb...@GMAIL.COM (Anindya Mozumdar) wrote: > All, > =A0 =A0 =A0This is a problem I have not come across before. A friend of m= ine > is installing SAS on his laptop. The installation proceeds smoothly > without errors, but the moment he runs SAS and tries to work in it, > the SAS window is closed and SAS.EXE is renamed to SAS.EXE.BAK in the > "Program Files" directly. Is it a problem of the Anti-Virus (McAfee > Small Business) or a virus? > > Thanks in advance. > Anindya Did you ever figure this out. I am having the same problem and I don't know what to do! When I change the file name from sas.exe.bak it works for a minute or so, but then it automatically renames back to sas.exe.bak. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! I have never seen this or heard of this before! But during installation SAS recommends that you disable any anti-virus software in the machine. Could this be the confluence of failure to disable antivirus software and something else? ~Just my 50 cents. ...

problem when installing SAS. windows x64 does not support SAS?
Hi everyone I am trying to install SAS on a Vista machine. The setup wizard says that Windows x64 does not support the SAS version I am trying to install. What can I do? I greatly appreciate your help. ...

Re: problem when installing SAS. windows x64 does not support SAS?
2 things you can do: 1) switch to 32-bit vista (business / ultimate) 2) or wait for a new version of SAS supporting 64-bit windows On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:54 AM, <elodie.gillain@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi everyone > > I am trying to install SAS on a Vista machine. > > The setup wizard says that Windows x64 does not support the SAS > version I am trying to install. > > What can I do? > > I greatly appreciate your help. > -- =============================== WenSui Liu ChoicePoint Precision Marketing Phone: 678-893-9457 Email : wensui.liu@choicepoint.com Blog : statcompute.spaces.live.com =============================== On May 14, 11:00 am, liuwen...@GMAIL.COM (Wensui Liu) wrote: > 2 things you can do: > 1) switch to 32-bit vista (business / ultimate) > 2) or wait for a new version of SAS supporting 64-bit windows > > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:54 AM, <elodie.gill...@gmail.com> wrote: > > Hi everyone > > > I am trying to install SAS on a Vista machine. > > > The setup wizard says that Windows x64 does not support the SAS > > version I am trying to install. > > > What can I do? > > > I greatly appreciate your help. > > -- > =============================== > WenSui Liu > ChoicePoint Precision Marketing > Phone: 678-893-9457 > Email : wensui....@choicepoint.com > Blog : statcompute.spaces.live.com > =============================== Thanks a lot...

Transfering datasets to Unix /SAS from PC/SAS
Thanks for all your help. I tried using FTP to tranfer datasets from unix to PC. But when I am trying to open the datasets in PC after being transferred I am getting this following message "Invalid header on file. File can not be opened." I tried using "proc download data=unix.dataset out=pc.dataset; run;" I never used SAS/Connect before and I do not have any manual handy for it. So I do not know how it get connected. When I run the above code on unix the log gives me an warning : "PROC DOWNLOAD MUST BE INVOKED WITH THE RSUBMIT COM...

Re: problem when installing SAS. windows x64 does not support SAS? #2
Elodie, Take a look at: http://support.sas.com/kb/16/568.html HTH, Art --------- On Wed, 14 May 2008 07:54:57 -0700, elodie.gillain@GMAIL.COM wrote: >Hi everyone > >I am trying to install SAS on a Vista machine. > >The setup wizard says that Windows x64 does not support the SAS >version I am trying to install. > >What can I do? > >I greatly appreciate your help. ...

Re: Transfering datasets to Unix /SAS from PC/SAS
Md Alam: Most often failures of ftp to transfer a valid SAS dataset from Unix to a PC platform result from transferring the file using a MODE other than BINARY. Try a binary mode transfer. Sig -----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu] On Behalf Of Md Alam Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 11:34 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Transfering datasets to Unix /SAS from PC/SAS - Still problem Thanks for all your help. I tried using FTP to tranfer datasets from unix to PC. But when I am trying to open the datasets in PC after being tra...

Re: problem when installing SAS. windows x64 does not support SAS? #3
What about having a Virtual Machine with XP for example and SAS inside in your x64? Arthur Tabachneck <art297@NETSCAPE.NET> escribi�: Elodie, Take a look at: http://support.sas.com/kb/16/568.html HTH, Art --------- On Wed, 14 May 2008 07:54:57 -0700, elodie.gillain@GMAIL.COM wrote: >Hi everyone > >I am trying to install SAS on a Vista machine. > >The setup wizard says that Windows x64 does not support the SAS >version I am trying to install. > >What can I do? > >I greatly appreciate your help. --------------------------------- Yahoo! Encuentros Ahora encontrar pareja es mucho m�s f�cil, prob� el nuevo Yahoo! Encuentros. Visit� http://yahoo.cupidovirtual.com/servlet/NewRegistration ...

> From: Amar Mundankar > Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:10 AM > To: sas-l@uga.edu > Subject: What r the data types in SAS? in Base SAS , and SAS SQL > > Hi all, > What are the different data types in Base SAS and SAS SQL?? character, lengths from 1 to 32,000+ numeric: lengths from 2 to 8 dates are a subtype of numeric and are identified by their date, datetime, or time formats the new proc TSPL (Table Server Processing Language) supports ANSI data types: bigint, tinyint, etc. http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/tsag/30878/HTML/default/a003 065339.htm http://s...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year.
I took the advanced exam this April because I wanted a relatively systematic way of assessing my knowledge of SAS in a short time span. For that purpose, it was worth it. Since I learn SAS by doing new tasks, or re-doing old tasks in a new way, I assume my knowledge of SAS is uneven, even though I am regarded as productive, and frequently creative in using SAS to solve our group's problems. I passed the test, with lower subscores on the components that I expected to be weakest on. I thought many of the questions made me think about some fundamental, sometimes subtle, features of the lan...

SAS-L Panel / SAS-L vs. SAS Institute Tech Support
[This is part of a report on a panel discussion about SAS-L which took place during the 2003 NESUG conference. Partcipants: Paul Dorfman, Ron Fehd, Phil Mason, Barbara Okerson, Dianne Louise Rhodes, David Septoff; also Ray Pass] On the subject of SAS-L vs. SAS Institute Tech Support ... Dianne noted that a real strength of SAS-L is that it functions 24 hours a day, seven days a week. She recalled a situation in which she helped somebody who had a project deadline on Christmas Eve. Ron pointed out that SI technical support sometimes is slower because problems often must be handed off, somet...

SAS 9 and SAS 8
Could someone send me the papers or articles that gives the differences between sas 8 and sas 9 and new function and changes in sas 9. Thanks http://support.sas.com/documentation/whatsnew/index.html and many proceedings at http://www.lexjansen.com On Nov 20, 3:28=A0pm, pausha <paus...@gmail.com> wrote: > Could =A0someone send me the papers or articles that gives the > differences between sas 8 and sas 9 and new function and changes in > sas 9. > > Thanks ...

To SAS or not To SAS (or whatever else)!!,
Hi all, This message is directed primarily to individuals in these groups who have long experience using both SPSS and SAS (or any other statistically oriented/data intensive analytic tools) with a heavy data volume and frequent reporting requirements. I am pretty open to any and all suggestions. In any normal context I wouldn't be caught dead with a SAS manual, and my obit will probably read, "We had to pull the SPSS manual from his cold dead hands, and needed to break some fingers to boot." BUT, I recently accepted a position where part of my responsibilities will involve...

SAS and SAS/IML TO C
Dear Users, There's some way to convert SAS and/or SAS/IML codes to C code? Thanks, Ricardo=20 ***************************************************************************= ******* As informa=E7=F5es contidas nesta mensagem e no(s) arquivo(s) anexo(s) s=E3= o=20 endere=E7adas exclusivamente =E0(s) pessoa(s) e/ou institui=E7=E3o(=F5es) a= cima=20 indicada(s), podendo conter dados confidenciais, os quais n=E3o podem, sob = qualquer forma ou pretexto, ser utilizados, divulgados, alterados,=20 impressos ou copiados, total ou parcialmente, por pessoas n=E3o autorizadas= ..=20 Caso n=E3o sej...

SAS programming and SAS/BI

SAS time problem and formula problem
Hi All, I have two problems, and I really hope you can help me. The first problem is that I want to take the Log of a time variable (format is hhmm6.), but the answer returned is wrong. I have used the following code: /* p is a time variable with format hh:mm5.*/ data 'C:\Vijay Data\Research project\Project\Data\craw4'; set craw3_1; ln_aa=log(p); format ln_aa hhmm5.; run; For example if p=45:00 (hh:mm) then ln_aa equals 00:00 (hh:mm) but I want it to read 3.807. The answer I want is in units of hours, how can I get this answer? The second problem is that I want ma...

sas problem.
A1 Balance 300 . . A2 ACC_no . 1234 . A3 card_no . . 56789 A4 Balance 340 . . A5 card_no . . 43215 A6 ACC_no . 4321 . B1 Balance 560 . . B2 card_no . . 67456 B3 card_no . . 78986 B4 ACC_no . 3421 . B5 ACC_no . 2314 . C1 Balance 321 . . C2 Balance 345 . . C3 Balance 213 . . variables:v1 v2 v3 v4 v5. what to do? 1)create a dataset and Find the sum of all the values in all the corresponding variables of A, B & C respectively. help me out with this. thank you.. ...

SAS Problem
I have a SAS problem and hope someone can help. I want to create deciles (1-10) based on a known $dollar value for a city and then compare that decile $ value against other cities and see which cities are richer or poorer in comparison. I know the decile $dollar values for city X. (1-10) see proc listing below for example.I am trying to keep things simple so the numbers are made up. City X (is not shown below in the listing) and I am only using one decile in the exmaple below. Decile 1 has a $ dollar value of $12,281 and I know all the decile values for City X and I now want compare other areas. In the proc listing below in income 5 the count is the number of people which is 5,000 people earning an income between $10,001-$15,000. My TARGET NUMBER populaton is 12,500 people who live in area 1 earn $12,281 or less and should be assigned to Decile 1. In area 2 lets pretened there are sparse areas andis no incomes for 1-3 my lagfreg is incorrect for Decile 1 etc. I see problems with my lagfreq statement. How do I stop lagfreq from rolling over into area 2 and into other subsequent areas and also where there is no income in an area. I need lagfreg unless you can think of something else to use for my target populaton. Why do I need lagfreq? That comes to my second tricky problem I want to allocate the taget midpoint of a population to fall equally between decile 1 and decile 2. cumfreq = cumulative frequency and there are 15000 people in area 1 who earn an income 5 ($10,0...

Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) #5
I think that SAS and R are very similar, even though their designs are very different. What matters is that both can be used to accomplish the same things - just as English and Swahilli serve the same purpose (communication) equally well. As for the copyleft "mess", do you really believe the propaganda and outright lies perpetrated by some companies? Remember, they want you to pay $$$ for your software, and copyleft poses a huge threat to that goal. -----Original Message----- From: Peter Flom [mailto:flom@NDRI.ORG] Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 12:57 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA....

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #4
Ed , I still contend and stick with they should both be able to program and know how SAS works. I prefer the intervewing company give a test, were the person being interviewed is sat in front a laptop or desktop and told to write code to solve some problems. No online help no books just the persona nd the computer. This weeds out those who can code and those who cant, from those who can you then talk to them about the code they wrote and you can deduce those who understand how SAS works and thos who dont. The pool you are left with are the qualified candidates atleast from a SAS perspecti...

Web resources about - Unusual SAS processing Problem - comp.soft-sys.sas

Central processing unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
) is the hardware within a computer system which carries out the instructions of a computer program by performing the basic arithmetical, logical, ...

Conexant Announces New Audio Processing Solutions At CES
At CES, Conexant gave me a demo of some of the audio processing technology that they've been working on. Conexant is a company that probably ...

THE PAYMENTS ECOSYSTEM: Everything you need to know about the next era of payment processing
The way we pay has changed dramatically. People are using their smartphones for every kind of formal and informal transaction — to shop at stores, ...

Audi turns to Qualcomm power for entertainment, navigation processing
Qualcomm proves its chip-making innovation, announcing a deal at CES where Audi will use its first automotive quality infotainment chipset, the ...

USDA Investigating Possible Plastic Sabotage At Poultry Processing Plant
While it’s not uncommon to hear about chicken products that end up containing wayward bits of plastic (like this nugget issue , this sausage ...

Feds Stop Processing NICS Denial Appeals
Obama Administration Enacts More Gun Control By Misusing FBI Background Check System

This just in: Marco Rubio's substance is thinner than an Intel processing chip
In case you hadn't already guessed it, Marco Rubio's got a smile and a stump speech, but that's about it. Reporters who have followed him from ...

Food Processing: It's What Makes Us Human
Turning raw ingredients into something more has played an important role in our evolution.

Nvidia Ramps Up Processing Power for Self-Driving Cars
With its new Drive PX 2 platform, the GPU maker is offering a computer that can deliver up to 8 teraflops of computing power to autonomous vehicles. ...

Keeping Up With the Millennials in Spousal Immigration Processing
“Selfie stick. Snap. Upload to Facebook. 52 likes in a matter of minutes. These likes include people from all over the world who simply have ...