We have an AIX lpar and sas isn't using the cpu/memory/etc capacity available

Hi, we have an aix capped lpar running aix 53ml4. It has 8 processors
as shown by lsdev -Ccprocessor. We have smt enabled. But when running
nmon ( and hitting "c" to show cpu activity ) when the machine is busy
I can see that only the even numbered processors  are being used most
of the time. The odd numbered ones are being used occasionally. So it
looks like smt is being used but only rarely. It looks like the box is
over specced if anything but we need sas to run faster than it is so
we have given it more cpu than it seems to be using. The odd numbered
processors are being used but they are nowhere near capacity.

The question is, how can i make sas spread its load over all the
processors and use smt too?

I have read the "Tuning guide for sas on aix 5L" and the only thing
that seems that might make a difference is the AIXTHREAD_SCOPE
variable which we currently have set to the default of P. Would
setting it to S, make sas make more use of the processors available?

Memory is 24Gb and is not being used fully either.

Disk I/0 is not a problem either, the disks could be tweaked slightly
but they are not being hammered and have throughput to spare. IO wait
is 0% averaged over 12 hours according to nmon.

Network, same again, we have etherchannel and we are running well
under capacity and getting no errors on the network.

We have the oracle database on a different lpar and that is not being
hammered either.

How do I make these beasties roar?

Regards
Bozodebris
0
bozodebris (24)

On 7 Dec, 10:26, bozo <bozodeb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, we have an aix capped lpar running aix 53ml4. It has 8 processors
> as shown by lsdev -Ccprocessor. We have smt enabled. But when running
> nmon ( and hitting "c" to show cpu activity ) when the machine is busy
> I can see that only the even numbered processors  are being used most
> of the time. The odd numbered ones are being used occasionally. So it
> looks like smt is being used but only rarely. It looks like the box is
> over specced if anything but we need sas to run faster than it is so
> we have given it more cpu than it seems to be using. The odd numbered
> processors are being used but they are nowhere near capacity.
>
> The question is, how can i make sas spread its load over all the
> processors and use smt too?
>
> I have read the "Tuning guide for sas on aix 5L" and the only thing
> that seems that might make a difference is the AIXTHREAD_SCOPE
> variable which we currently have set to the default of P. Would
> setting it to S, make sas make more use of the processors available?
>
> Memory is 24Gb and is not being used fully either.
>
> Disk I/0 is not a problem either, the disks could be tweaked slightly
> but they are not being hammered and have throughput to spare. IO wait
> is 0% averaged over 12 hours according to nmon.
>
> Network, same again, we have etherchannel and we are running well
> under capacity and getting no errors on the network.
>
> We have the oracle database on a different lpar and that is not being
> hammered either.
>
> How do I make these beasties roar?
>
> Regards
> Bozodebris

Just in case you want to see some nmon output from the box, take a
look at the high water marks ( the ">" signs ) here

? CPU-Utilisation-Small-View ???????????EntitledCPU=  8.00 UsedCPU=
0.011???????????????????????????????????????????????????
?Logical  CPUs
0----------25-----------50----------75----------100                                             ?
?CPU User%  Sys% Wait% Idle%|           |            |
|            |                                             ?
?  0   0.0   0.0   0.0 100.0|
>      |                                             ?
?  1   0.0   0.0   0.0 100.0|

|                                             ?
?  2   0.0   0.0   0.0
100.0|
>                                             ?
?  3   0.0   0.0   0.0 100.0|

|                                             ?
?  4   0.0   0.0   0.0
100.0|
>                                             ?
?  5   0.0   0.0   0.0 100.0|

|                                             ?
?  6   0.0   0.0   0.0 100.0|

|                                             ?
?  7   0.0   0.0   0.0 100.0|

|                                             ?
?  8   0.0   0.0   0.0
100.0|                                               >
|                                             ?
?  9   0.0   0.0   0.0 100.0|

|                                             ?
? 10   0.0   0.0   0.0 100.0|
>                     |                                             ?
? 11   0.0   0.0   0.0 100.0|

|                                             ?
? 12   0.0   0.0   0.0 100.0|

|                                             ?
? 13   0.0   0.0   0.0 100.0|

|                                             ?
? 14   0.0   0.0   0.0 100.0|

|                                             ?
? 15   0.0   0.0   0.0 100.0|

|                                             ?
?EntitleCapacity/VirtualCPU
+-----------|------------|-----------|------------
+                                             ?
? EC   0.0   0.1   0.0
0.0|-------------------------------------------------|                                             ?
? VP   0.0   0.1   0.0
0.0|-------------------------------------------------|                                             ?
?EC=   0.1%  VP=   0.1%     +--Capped---|------------|-----------100%
VP=8 CPU+
0
bozodebris (24)

Re: We have an AIX lpar and sas isn't using the cpu/memory/etc
Is it a particular query or application that is running slow? More details might help to isolate where the potential bottleneck is. Rgds ...

Can I use LabVIEW to load data directly into system memory? The serial card I'm using isn't supported by NI nor does VISA recognize it. I'm using a Win32 function to read the data from the card
Can I use LabVIEW to load data directly into system memory from a VI? The serial card I'm using isn't supported by NI nor does VISA recognize it. I'm using a&nbsp;Call Library&nbsp;function to read the data from the card and now I want it to go directly to system memory. The data is being received at 1Mbps. &nbsp; Thanks 1.You will most likely crash your system trying to write meg's/sec of data to system memory. LabVIEW has it's own memory manager and manages data for you. If you getting data to LabVIEW, I hope for the processinfg purposes. You didn't menti...

USING 'DBLIBINIT' SAS Libname Option for SAS Access for Oracle
Hi all, We are trying to use this option to pass user context information to the database for Fine Grain Access Control. We were able to pass a simple insert statement through this method that inserts a number in table as: DBLIBINIT='Insert into Y values (3)' This works also: DBLIBINIT='BEGIN epi.ins_num(3); END;' We were not able to pass an insert that uses a character value like: DBLIBINIT='Insert into Y values ('A')' DBLIBINIT='BEGIN epi.ins_char('A'); END;' It doesn't seem to matter how we quote the value. Our actual requirement ...

'CPU used when call started' vs 'CPU used by this session'
Hello I have recently read somewhere that the statistics (from v$sesstat/mystat/sysstat) 'CPU used when call started' and 'CPU used by this session' are (nearly) equivalent but that 'CPU used when call started' should be used instead of 'CPU used by this session' because the latter is buggy. Now, is that true? And if so, why does Oracle have two statistics for the same thing. If not so, what is the difference. I have played a bit with it and indeed, the values seem to be identical for both statistics. Thanks, Rene -- Rene Nyffenegger http://www.a...

SAS Intrnet
Hi, all. Our installation of the SAS App Server doesn't start automatically when the systm reboots. It is set to start automatically, but doesn't. Any ideas? Anywhere to look? Michael Luevane Systems Analyst Quantec, LLC 6229 SE Milwaukie Ave Portland, OR 97202 http://www.quantecllc.com Michael Luevane wrote: > Hi, all. > > Our installation of the SAS App Server doesn't start automatically > when the systm reboots. It is set to start automatically, but doesn't. > > Any ideas? Anywhere to look? > Event Viewer is a good place to start. Also look for *.lo...

why I can't use the max memory available?
Hi, I'm trying to use pcomp to calculate pca for a large number of variables, say over 10,000, only 6 observations though. I'm not sure if I'd obtain useful results by pca, but just want to give a try. On Windows XP Professional system IDL 6.3, I got the following error message: Unable to allocate memory: to make array However, when I type: help,/memory heap memory used: 2082561, max: 825942109, gets: 811, frees: 468 My heap memory used is far smaller than the max available memory! I'm wondering why? Any ideas? Thanks, Jenny Jenny writes: > Hi, I'm t...

How is '@' symbol used in SAS?
Is there an example? thanks! ...

Why I can't do searching on SAS OnlineDoc using IE?
Dear SAS-L people, I am new to this board and I failed to find the answer after browsing the archives. My question is: When I try to search SAS OnlineDoc by keywords using Internet Explorer, I always get the error message "Java.lang.NullpointerException" and "no matches found" results (even I typed "proc reg"). Does anybody know what that error means and how to fix it? By the way, I have no problem doing searching with Netscape. Thanks a lot, Frank Are you fully updated? I just tried that and it works for me. The help included with your copy of SAS is also ...

Isn't it better using Qt than the 'standerd' C++?
C++ says it is a system language but it's not true. C++ can't replace C. I don't think C++ is willing to cover those things C solved, even not for shell script! Nowadays most parts has gone farther away for 'high-end' application programmer's favor (let alone what that favor might really be), but remains not practical if compared to Qt(before version 4). So what's the problem with C++? It seems C++ can only be used as a base language for other languages. -- [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] On Thursday, 25 February 2016 15:30:18 UTC+1, w...@totalbb.net.tw wrote: > C++ says it is a system language but it's not true. Why not? > C++ can't replace C. I can't think of technical reasons why C++ can't replace C (there are political reasons like "Linus can't stand C++, so won't allow it in the Linux kernel"). > I don't think C++ is willing to cover those > things C solved, even not for shell script! > > Nowadays most parts has gone farther away for 'high-end' application > programmer's favor (let alone what that favor might really be), but > remains not practical if compared to Qt(before version 4). Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say here. > So what's the problem with C++? > It seems C++ can only be...

Why isn't the 'use of indeterminate objects' undefined behavior?
Well, actually I am sure that it is, unless the object as accessed via an lvalue of unsigned char type, but... Draft N969 contained this wording: [begin quote] 3.18 [#1] undefined behavior behavior, upon use of a nonportable or erroneous program construct, of erroneous data, or of indeterminately valued objects, for which this International Standard imposes no requirements [end quote] This wording did not make it into the final standard in 1999. In fact, nowhere in the current standard does it specifically state anything eq...

Re: How is '@' symbol used in SAS?
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 14:34:42 -0700, Daria <dariahuangster@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >Is there an example? > >thanks! INPUT: http://support.sas.com/onlinedoc/913/getDoc/en/lrdict.hlp/a000146292.htm#a000146299 http://support.sas.com/onlinedoc/913/getDoc/en/lrdict.hlp/a000146292.htm#a000146304 (out)PUT: http://support.sas.com/onlinedoc/913/getDoc/en/lrdict.hlp/a000161869.htm#a000162626 ...

Asking/answering on both 'lists ' SAS-L
I don't think there was already a discussion about the opinions around this subject some of us are asking systematically on both 'lists' some of us are answering sometimes here sometimes on the Forum is this a good and efficent practise? if someone has only few time free to collaborate, which solution should have priority? does the actual situation indicate a underground glide from one to another? does anybody know the whishes -from the ordinary and regular sas-l readers and or contributors ? -from the point of view of SAS, their goal in matter of services for help through their Forums? Andre -- Andr� WIELKI INED (Institut National d'Etudes D�mographiques) Service Informatique 133 Boulevard Davout 75980 Paris Cedex 20 m�l : wielki@ined.fr t�l : 33 (0) 1 56 06 21 54 ...

Command or Action 'Setwarnings' isn't available right now?
Hi all... Been a while since had a question here, but I can not find a single thing about this in the group or even on the whole web! My Access XP application is running some stored queries and some SQL statements and I am using DoCmd.Setwarnings False to turn off the default "Are you sure" warnings in Access. When it hit's certain setwarning commands, it gives the error dialog in the subject of this post. An example of my code follows. Any help or tips would be appreciated! Sample that produces error: DoCmd.SetWarnings False DoCmd.RunSQL "Insert Into tblEm...

SAS TIP: Using Noprint and Ods output together? Doesn't work!
Have ever used the ODS OUTPUT statement to put output into a SAS dataset and then used the noprint option so that the output does not print in the output window? If so, then you know that this does not work. The SAS dataset is empty! The noprint option prevents output from going to any ODS destination, so you cannot use it. However, if you do not want your output to print in the output window, then there is an alternative. ODS Listing Close; This statement prevents any output from showing in the output window, but still allows the ODS OUTPUT statement to store the results in the SAS dataset. Note: The above statement prevents ALL output from going to the output window until you turn the listing back on. Here's how to turn it back on: ODS Listing; Enjoy! Wendi ************************************************************************** This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or confidential information. It is solely for use by the individual for whom it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute, or take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and delete it from your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited. Thank you for your compliance. ...

Re: Asking/answering on both 'lists ' SAS-L
Andre', At some places of work forums are banned/blocked. Since SAS/L is email based, it bypasses that restriction and will allow folk to seek solutions that they could not post on a forum. Some employers are so draconian that they will never bend their rules, even when the forum is beneficial to the company. Regards, John Burton Chattanooga TN On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 5:56 AM, Andre Wielki <wielki@ined.fr> wrote: > I don't think there was already a discussion about the opinions around > this subject > > some of us are asking systematically on both 'lists' > some of us are answering sometimes here sometimes on the Forum > > is this a good and efficent practise? > if someone has only few time free to collaborate, which solution should > have priority? > > does the actual situation indicate a underground glide from one to another? > > does anybody know the whishes > -from the ordinary and regular sas-l readers and or contributors ? > -from the point of view of SAS, their goal in matter of services > for help through their Forums? > > Andre > > > -- > Andr� WIELKI > INED (Institut National d'Etudes D�mographiques) > Service Informatique > 133 Boulevard Davout 75980 Paris Cedex 20 > m�l : wielki@ined.fr t�l : 33 (0) 1 56 06 21 54 > -- Regards, John Burton Soddy Daisy TN ...

Modifications to use PC SAS instead of Mainframe SAS (Former subject: "PC SAS")
Mia, Since you are new to SAS, I would recommend that you modify the mainframe SAS code slightly and use it on your PC. But, you will have to reformat the Excel files and save them as text (without any column headings) before running SAS. I will presume that the first columns of your spreadsheets are the same as the mainframe data file. Test1 has YR, ATYPE, OBJ, SOBJ and AMT and Test2 has OBJ, SOBJ and SNAME. You want to adjust the column widths in Excel to match the SAS code and save the Excel file as a text file. Column widths in Excel should be set with "Format" > "C...

perl 10^9 long strings of packed floats, getting 'panic: memory wrap' that didn't use to happen before
Dear all. I've had a simple way of creating array of floats: my $xfArray=((pack "f1", 0.0) x $nSize); I was able to create up to 10^9 long arrays of floats and pass them to perl inline c for further processing. One beautiful day, I started getting message: panic: memory wrap at prepare_chisqr_fastG3.pl line 917. I thought this is due to fragmented memory on servers as some of them aren't rising this error. Then I tried ordinary MALLOC in C which was able always allocate the desired amount of memory. My question is what could have happened? I've been trying to allocate less than 10% of overall RAM available on my machine (148GB RAM) ... It works with MALLOC, does not with the above code any more ... This is the version of perl used: This is perl, v5.10.1 (*) built for x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi Any sugestions? Bests, P. Quoth pkoniusz@gmail.com: > > I've had a simple way of creating array of floats: > my $xfArray=((pack "f1", 0.0) x $nSize); > > I was able to create up to 10^9 long arrays of floats and pass them to > perl inline c for further processing. > > One beautiful day, I started getting message: > panic: memory wrap at prepare_chisqr_fastG3.pl line 917. > > I thought this is due to fragmented memory on servers as some of them > aren't rising this error. Then I tried ordinary MALLOC in C which was > able always allocate the desired amoun...

Is it possible to read a sas dataset NOT using sas?
Is it possible to read a sas dataset NOT using sas and have observations and variables etc. rather than having meaningless chunks of text? On 18 mrt, 14:43, RolandRB <rolandbe...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to read a sas dataset NOT using sas and have > observations and variables etc. rather than having meaningless chunks > of text? YEZZZZ, and even for free !!! Download the sas system viewer: http://www.umass.edu/statdata/software/downloads/SASViewer/index.html Hermie Hi Roland, I guess you know of the World Programming System, WPS? It can read (and write, I think) SAS datasets - see http://www.teamwpc.co.uk/products/wps/features/data_access Way back in early 1990s, I reverse-engineered the PC SAS 6.03 dataset format in order to write an interactive variable-name-and-label editor. It worked fine, but then the SAS7BDAT format came along. It's more complex but could also be reverse-engineered. I would have thought that the legality of doing was questionable, but if WPS have done it then I guess not. What do you need such a facility for? Chris. -------------------------------------------------------- Elvis SAS Log Analyser - http://www.oview.co.uk/elvis Version 1.4 now available - try the new Date Calculator! -------------------------------------------------------- On 18 Mar, 13:43, RolandRB <rolandbe...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to read a sas dataset NOT using sas and have > observations and variables etc. rathe...

Use ResourceBundle's even if Locale isn't important?
I'm currently working on a project where the last programmer got some properties from a loaded Properties object from a known location, and some properties from ResourceBundle's from properties files located in the classpath. This is an application where Locale isn't important at all. Is it still appropriate to use ResourceBundle objects for convenience's sake? - Tim -- Spammay Blockay wrote: > I'm currently working on a project where the last programmer > got some properties from a loaded Properties object from a known > location, and some properties from ...

Why AT&T's new 'throttling' policy isn't as bad as last one [telecom]
CNET Why AT&T's new 'throttling' policy isn't as bad as last one by Marguerite Reardon |March 2, 2012 12:17 PM PST AT&T's throttling policy is definitely not consumer-friendly, but in this edition of Ask Maggie, I explain why it's better than the previous policy. AT&T has clarified its "throttling" policy for its unlimited data customers who the company says use too much bandwidth. But many users are still confused and angry. http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-57389672-266/why-at-ts-new-throttling-policy-isnt-as-bad-as-last-one/ -or- http://goo.gl/e5bXE -- Bill Horne (Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly) ...

Using a TFT as a monitor... (I'm sure this isn't the first time...)
Assuming I change the bulb on my dark HSD150PX14 TFT panel, how could I hook it up to an analog VGA input? Has anyone tried the CRTtoLCD boards from Kontron? http://emea.kontron.com/index.php?id=1041 No sign of my panel in those options unfortunately, but I'd nearly buy one of the boards just in case I got my hands on a compatible LCD. I've no idea how to order from them either as it looks like they only do bulk. Are there 999 like minded individuals out there? DanSolo wrote: > Assuming I change the bulb on my dark HSD150PX14 TFT panel, how could > I hook it up to an analog VGA input? Has anyone tried the CRTtoLCD > boards from Kontron? > http://emea.kontron.com/index.php?id=1041 > No sign of my panel in those options unfortunately, but I'd nearly buy > one of the boards just in case I got my hands on a compatible LCD. > I've no idea how to order from them either as it looks like they only > do bulk. Are there 999 like minded individuals out there? > give it up. No way you can do this cheaper than a new monitor. Documentation is unavailable. Give it up. There is no way to do this that is economically feasible and produces a good result. I'm not saying it's physically impossible, but in a day when you can buy brand new retail 15" LCD monitors for $85 ("http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=MON10169"), and brand new 19" monitors with dual inputs (VGA/DVI) for $100 to ...

SAS 9 IOM information
If you are one of the many who are struggling to get java to talk to SAS 9 & run stored processes then I suggest you ask your local SAS rep for some sample code. We got some sample code which now works fairly well (after a lot of further work). I asked if I could share this code with people in the SAS community but was told that SAS would rather do further work on it and then release it properly. So you can either wait, or ask them I suppose. It is not a trivial exercise though - even to get SAS 9.1.3 installed with various servers running. 9.1.3 is easier (if the scripts work) to install ...

Re: Is it possible to read a sas dataset NOT using sas?
You might try the Universal OLE DB driver. Docs at: http://tinyurl.com/2cmgcf Driver page at: http://tinyurl.com/2hbc23 I think this should allow you to read a sas data set but not write to it. Also, the driver does not support much beyond a Select * clause. Phil Rack www.minequest.com -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of RolandRB Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 9:44 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Is it possible to read a sas dataset NOT using sas? Is it possible to read a sas dataset NOT using sas and have observations and variables etc. rather than having meaningless chunks of text? ...

Re: Do you think sas programmers should only use sas? #16
Toby, You need a spell-checker badly. :-) Richard (one of those statistician-programmers) At 12:45 PM 8/9/2005, Toby wrote: >SIg, > >I think I am the cause of the confusion here as I know I am guilty of >saying that staticians shouldn't program. However, I think Jim has >taken it too a new level that even I haven't envisioned. The reason I >stated what I have in the past is that as a whole staticians have >crewed more programs up than they have helped. > >Let me further explain this, most staticians and analyist are way more >interested in the output,...

Web resources about - We have an AIX lpar and sas isn't using the cpu/memory/etc capacity available - comp.soft-sys.sas

Tengami on the App Store on iTunes
Get Tengami on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

App Center launches for English-speaking countries; translations now accepted
Facebook today announced that App Center has been rolled out to all users in the U.S., Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, New Zealand, South ...

Demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In economics, demand is an economic principle that describes a consumer's desire and willingness to pay a price for a specific good or service. ...

Dodge Ram big US ute set for Australia
The big Dodge Ram could finally come to Australia. Fiat Chrysler Group Australia CEO Clyde Campbell has told CarAdvice he expects the full-size ...

Lessons learned adding messaging to a notes app
[Today we have a guest post from Alex Schiff, who's a co-founder and CEO of Fetchnotes , which makes simple, smart tools that help people work ...

Adobe Photoshop Touch updated to version 1.2
iOS app Adobe Photoshop Touch has been given a slew of fixes and small new features this morning, after being updated to version 1.2 overnight. ...

All Pro Football Source - News and analysis for the only sport that matters to you
The 2014 NFL draft is over, and I’ve finished up grading your team’s draft haul. The grades are based on my cross pattern comparison metrics ...

SNesoid (SNES Emulator)
SNesoid is the very famous Super Nintendo emulator for Android. - Run games with sound at very fast

Splashtop Enables Windows 8 Metro Experience on iPad
Splashtop , one of the leaders in cross-device computing, today announced the release of Win8 Metro Testbed – powered by Splashtop , a remote ...

Apple, major labels discuss plans for free streaming music service
According to multiple music industry sources, Apple execs have met with the four major music labels about a possible free-of-charge music streaming ...