Write Access Violation in Task (Enhanced Editor)???

Hello everyone,

I came in the other day and opened my PC SAS 9.1, and got the message below
in the log.  The Enhanced Editor window was not available.  If I tried to
use the View menu and select Enhanced Editor, the same Write Access
Violation repeats in the log.

I was prompted to logon to our remote (UNIX) server, and that worked fine
(actually the error occurs before the logon prompt).

I am able to open the Program Window, just not the Enhanced Editor.  Any
ideas on what is wrong?

By the way, the problem just happened to show up right after a new set of
Microsoft patches had been applied.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

NOTE: Copyright (c) 2002-2003 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.

NOTE: SAS (r) 9.1 (TS1M3)

      Licensed to BALTIMORE COUNTY CAMPUS-T/R, Site XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

NOTE: This session is executing on the XP_PRO  platform.

NOTE: SAS initialization used:

      real time           4.06 seconds

      cpu time            0.89 seconds

ERROR:  Write Access Violation In Task [ Enhanced Editor )

Exception occurred at (67D1A2EE)

Task Traceback

Address   Frame     (DBGHELP API Version 4.0 rev 5)

67D1A2EE  0495F88C  sasvwu:mcn_main+0xB92EE

WARNING: Entry DMSDEF.WSAVE was restored. The entry's data may be truncated.

NOTE: The catalog repair process is complete for SASUSER.PROFILE.CATALOG.

ERROR: Generic critical error.

NOTE: AUTOEXEC processing beginning; file is C:\Program Files\SAS\SAS
9.1\autoexec.sas.

NOTE: Remote signon to GINGER commencing (SAS Release 9.01.01M3P072804).

NOTE: Script file 'tcpunix.scr' entered.

NOTE: Logged onto UNIX... Starting remote SAS now.

NOTE: SAS/CONNECT conversation established.

NOTE: Copyright (c) 1999-2001 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.

NOTE: SAS (r) Proprietary Software Release 8.2 (TS2M0)

      Licensed to BALTIMORE COUNTY CAMPUS-T/R, Site 0002318054.

NOTE: This session is executing on the SunOS 5.9 platform.

This message is contained in the SAS news file, and is presented upon

initialization.  Edit the files "news" in the "misc/base" directory to

display site-specific news and information in the program log.

The command line option "-nonews" will prevent this display.

NOTE: SAS initialization used:

      real time           0.55 seconds

      cpu time            0.03 seconds

NOTE: Remote signon to GINGER complete.

NOTE: AUTOEXEC processing completed.

Jack Clark

Research Analyst

JClark1 (431)

It seems that your profile file is corrupted. If you don't have any
preferred setting, you can simply delete the old profile files, and
restart your SAS session, then you'll get a brand new profile with
default setting.

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:32:36 -0400, Jack Clark <JClark@CHPDM.UMBC.EDU> wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>

>I came in the other day and opened my PC SAS 9.1, and got the message below
>in the log.  The Enhanced Editor window was not available.  If I tried to
>use the View menu and select Enhanced Editor, the same Write Access
>Violation repeats in the log.
>

>I was prompted to logon to our remote (UNIX) server, and that worked fine
>(actually the error occurs before the logon prompt).
>

>I am able to open the Program Window, just not the Enhanced Editor.  Any
>ideas on what is wrong?
>

>By the way, the problem just happened to show up right after a new set of
>Microsoft patches had been applied.
>

>Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.
>

>NOTE: Copyright (c) 2002-2003 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
>
>NOTE: SAS (r) 9.1 (TS1M3)
>
>      Licensed to BALTIMORE COUNTY CAMPUS-T/R, Site XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
>
>NOTE: This session is executing on the XP_PRO  platform.
>

>NOTE: SAS initialization used:
>
>      real time           4.06 seconds
>
>      cpu time            0.89 seconds
>

>ERROR:  Write Access Violation In Task [ Enhanced Editor )
>
>Exception occurred at (67D1A2EE)
>
>Task Traceback
>
>Address   Frame     (DBGHELP API Version 4.0 rev 5)
>
>67D1A2EE  0495F88C  sasvwu:mcn_main+0xB92EE
>

>WARNING: Entry DMSDEF.WSAVE was restored. The entry's data may be
truncated.

>NOTE: The catalog repair process is complete for SASUSER.PROFILE.CATALOG.
>
>ERROR: Generic critical error.
>

>NOTE: AUTOEXEC processing beginning; file is C:\Program Files\SAS\SAS
>9.1\autoexec.sas.
>

>NOTE: Remote signon to GINGER commencing (SAS Release 9.01.01M3P072804).
>
>NOTE: Script file 'tcpunix.scr' entered.
>
>NOTE: Logged onto UNIX... Starting remote SAS now.
>
>NOTE: SAS/CONNECT conversation established.
>
>NOTE: Copyright (c) 1999-2001 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
>
>NOTE: SAS (r) Proprietary Software Release 8.2 (TS2M0)
>
>      Licensed to BALTIMORE COUNTY CAMPUS-T/R, Site 0002318054.
>
>NOTE: This session is executing on the SunOS 5.9 platform.
>

>This message is contained in the SAS news file, and is presented upon
>
>initialization.  Edit the files "news" in the "misc/base" directory to
>
>display site-specific news and information in the program log.
>
>The command line option "-nonews" will prevent this display.
>

>NOTE: SAS initialization used:
>
>      real time           0.55 seconds
>
>      cpu time            0.03 seconds
>

>NOTE: Remote signon to GINGER complete.
>

>NOTE: AUTOEXEC processing completed.
>

>Jack Clark
>
>Research Analyst
>
>Center for Health Program Development and Management
>
>University of Maryland, Baltimore County
0
ya.huang (1962)
10/3/2006 5:37:40 PM
Ya,

I don't have any preferred settings that I am worried about keeping.

Do you mean delete the sasuser.profile catalog in the Explorer Window of the
SAS Session?  When I right-click on this, Delete is not an option.  I can
not delete it this way.  Can I get to it through Windows Explorer, or is it
created with each new SAS session?

Thanks again.

Jack Clark
Research Analyst

> [...]

>NOTE: Copyright (c) 1999-2001 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
>
>NOTE: SAS (r) Proprietary Software Release 8.2 (TS2M0)
>
>      Licensed to BALTIMORE COUNTY CAMPUS-T/R, Site 0002318054.
>
>NOTE: This session is executing on the SunOS 5.9 platform.
>

>This message is contained in the SAS news file, and is presented upon
>
>initialization.  Edit the files "news" in the "misc/base" directory to
>
>display site-specific news and information in the program log.
>
>The command line option "-nonews" will prevent this display.
>

>NOTE: SAS initialization used:
>
>      real time           0.55 seconds
>
>      cpu time            0.03 seconds
>

>NOTE: Remote signon to GINGER complete.
>

>NOTE: AUTOEXEC processing completed.
>

>Jack Clark
>
>Research Analyst
>
>Center for Health Program Development and Management
>
>University of Maryland, Baltimore County
10/3/2006 5:50:12 PM
Jack,

On my SAS v8.12/Windows, the profile files are these two:

c:\temp\profile.sas7bcat
c:\temp\profile2.sas7bcat

I usually use Windows explore to rename them instead of deleting them,
to make
sure I can still rename it back, if something goes wrong. Once I get the
new profile files, I delete the renamed old files.

I don't know where these files are store in v9. I guess you can
find them easily use Windows search.

wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>

>I came in the other day and opened my PC SAS 9.1, and got the message
>below in the log.  The Enhanced Editor window was not available.  If I
>tried to use the View menu and select Enhanced Editor, the same Write
>Access Violation repeats in the log.
>

>I was prompted to logon to our remote (UNIX) server, and that worked
>fine (actually the error occurs before the logon prompt).
>

>I am able to open the Program Window, just not the Enhanced Editor.
>Any ideas on what is wrong?
>

>By the way, the problem just happened to show up right after a new set
>of Microsoft patches had been applied.
>

>Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.
>

>NOTE: Copyright (c) 2002-2003 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
>
>NOTE: SAS (r) 9.1 (TS1M3)
>
>      Licensed to BALTIMORE COUNTY CAMPUS-T/R, Site XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
>
>NOTE: This session is executing on the XP_PRO  platform.
>

>NOTE: SAS initialization used:
>
>      real time           4.06 seconds
>
>      cpu time            0.89 seconds
>

>ERROR:  Write Access Violation In Task [ Enhanced Editor )
>
>Exception occurred at (67D1A2EE)
>
>Task Traceback
>
>Address   Frame     (DBGHELP API Version 4.0 rev 5)
>
>67D1A2EE  0495F88C  sasvwu:mcn_main+0xB92EE
>

>WARNING: Entry DMSDEF.WSAVE was restored. The entry's data may be
truncated.

>NOTE: The catalog repair process is complete for
SASUSER.PROFILE.CATALOG.

>ERROR: Generic critical error.
>

>NOTE: AUTOEXEC processing beginning; file is C:\Program Files\SAS\SAS
>9.1\autoexec.sas.
>

>NOTE: Remote signon to GINGER commencing (SAS Release
9.01.01M3P072804).

>NOTE: Script file 'tcpunix.scr' entered.
>
>NOTE: Logged onto UNIX... Starting remote SAS now.
>
>NOTE: SAS/CONNECT conversation established.
>
>NOTE: Copyright (c) 1999-2001 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
>
>NOTE: SAS (r) Proprietary Software Release 8.2 (TS2M0)
>
>      Licensed to BALTIMORE COUNTY CAMPUS-T/R, Site 0002318054.
>
>NOTE: This session is executing on the SunOS 5.9 platform.
>

>This message is contained in the SAS news file, and is presented upon
>
>initialization.  Edit the files "news" in the "misc/base" directory to
>
>display site-specific news and information in the program log.
>
>The command line option "-nonews" will prevent this display.
>

>NOTE: SAS initialization used:
>
>      real time           0.55 seconds
>
>      cpu time            0.03 seconds
>

>NOTE: Remote signon to GINGER complete.
>

>NOTE: AUTOEXEC processing completed.
>

>Jack Clark
>
>Research Analyst
>
>Center for Health Program Development and Management
>
>University of Maryland, Baltimore County
0
ya.huang (1962)
10/3/2006 5:56:00 PM
Ya,

Thank you.  I was able to search for profile.sas7bcat through Windows
Explorer and rename the file.  Then, I opened a new session of SAS and got
the Enhanced Editor and no Error messages.

I see that a new profile.sas7bcat was created, so I will delete the old one
now.

Thanks for the help and quick replies.

Jack Clark
Research Analyst