Combining Ethnicity Variables into one?

Observational survey: the ethnicity category is a "select all that apply" q=
uestion at the time of observation. This results in 7 ethnicity variables c=
oded "1" selected and "0" not selected. Basic descriptive stats are easy en=
ough, but how do I combine these variables into one without combining their=
 data? I don't want a total count of ALL ethnicities, I want to keep the gr=
oups separate. I want to be able to create ONE descriptive analysis and gra=
ph, as well as be able to crosstab the ethnicities with other variables wit=
hout having to do each ethnicity separately. Does this make sense? Thanks! =
Faren
0
Faren
10/25/2016 4:21:19 PM
comp.soft-sys.stat.spss 5679 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

You probably want to do a search on MULTiple RESPONSE...
---
On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 12:21:22 PM UTC-4, Faren Wolter wrote:
> Observational survey: the ethnicity category is a "select all that apply"=
 question at the time of observation. This results in 7 ethnicity variables=
 coded "1" selected and "0" not selected. Basic descriptive stats are easy =
enough, but how do I combine these variables into one without combining the=
ir data? I don't want a total count of ALL ethnicities, I want to keep the =
groups separate. I want to be able to create ONE descriptive analysis and g=
raph, as well as be able to crosstab the ethnicities with other variables w=
ithout having to do each ethnicity separately. Does this make sense? Thanks=
! Faren

0
David