connect 2 variables >(sex, age)

Hi

I'd like to connect 2 variables the way, that the're like one variable with two informations (e.g. sex, age). Does anybody knows how to do that?

I tried it by coding the variable having less categories with big numbers, then adding the other (there a a lot of categories). Now I've got new values for every combination, but its hard to name more than 100'000 items...

Any idea?

Thank you!
0
Lei
8/13/2016 12:20:50 PM
comp.soft-sys.stat.spss 5679 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 8:20:53 AM UTC-4, Lei wrote:
> Hi
Why are you doing this?  Makes no sense to me.

> I'd like to connect 2 variables the way, that the're like one variable with two informations (e.g. sex, age). Does anybody knows how to do that?
>
> I tried it by coding the variable having less categories with big numbers, then adding the other (there a a lot of categories). Now I've got new values for every combination, but its hard to name more than 100'000 items...
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thank you!

0
David
8/13/2016 7:32:54 PM
On 13/08/2016 8:20 AM, Lei wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to connect 2 variables the way, that the're like one variable with two informations (e.g. sex, age). Does anybody knows how to do that?
>
> I tried it by coding the variable having less categories with big numbers, then adding the other (there a a lot of categories). Now I've got new values for every combination, but its hard to name more than 100'000 items...
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thank you!

Like David, I wonder why you want to do this.  What do you ultimately
want to do?

--
Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca
<bweaver@lakeheadu.ca> wrote:

>On 13/08/2016 8:20 AM, Lei wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'd like to connect 2 variables the way, that the're like one variable with two informations (e.g. sex, age). Does anybody knows how to do that?
>>
>> I tried it by coding the variable having less categories with big numbers, then adding the other (there a a lot of categories). Now I've got new values for every combination, but its hard to name more than 100'000 items...

That's a way to combine them....

>> Any idea?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>

>Like David, I wonder why you want to do this.  What do you ultimately
>want to do?

Ditto.
 - Why do we ask what you /ultimately/  want?
 - because what you immediately ask for seems to be an
unusable mess, and none of us wants to be responsible for
encouraging nonsense.

If you want to list values in a sorted order, you can sort
and list the original two variables.  If you have labels for
the categories that you want to have listed, you can use
Report Generator (I think it is called) and list labels in place
of values.

--
Rich Ulrich
0
Am Sonntag, 14. August 2016 18:10:42 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce Weaver:
> On 13/08/2016 8:20 AM, Lei wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'd like to connect 2 variables the way, that the're like one variable with two informations (e.g. sex, age). Does anybody knows how to do that?
> >
> > I tried it by coding the variable having less categories with big numbers, then adding the other (there a a lot of categories). Now I've got new values for every combination, but its hard to name more than 100'000 items...
> >
> > Any idea?
> >
> > Thank you!
> >

> Like David, I wonder why you want to do this.  What do you ultimately
> want to do?
>
> --
> Bruce Weaver
> bweaver@lakeheadu.ca
> http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/Home
> "When all else fails, RTFM."

I'm doing a MCA and for me it makes more sense to have these categories in the end together, because I want to know, where the combination belongs to... Does this make sense?
0
leonie
8/15/2016 12:35:19 PM
Look at the AUTORECODE command.