Finding a minimum in one var and making a new var out of it.

I've been trying to get a minimum out of one variable, but when I use the

compute MIN(?, ?) command, I get back the minimum for each seperate case on that variable in a new variable.

So basically it's just the same variable as before because each case is the same.

If I put in an additional variable to match the requested argument in the formula I get back the minimum for that variable on each individual case (as the added variable is lower on each case than the variable I am trying to get the minimum out of.)

Does anyone have some recommendations?

I am using SPSS 20
0
Bram
9/14/2016 2:32:36 PM
comp.soft-sys.stat.spss 5679 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

By the way: I am trying to get a minimum out of 1 variable because I have 208 dates per original case and I am trying to match the date closest to the case.
I have deducted the dates from eachother (and squared them to remove the negatives), so now I have 208 indexed cases per original case.

Put simply I have a dataset like this one, but with additional variables stating the deduction and would like to go towards a dataset with 1 date per case (the closest, thus the deduction and the minimum)

Case Date
1    1
1    2
1    3
2    1
2    2
2    3
0
Bram
9/14/2016 2:53:30 PM
On 14/09/2016 10:32 AM, Bram V wrote:
> I've been trying to get a minimum out of one variable, but when I use the
>
> compute MIN(?, ?) command, I get back the minimum for each seperate case on that variable in a new variable.
>
> So basically it's just the same variable as before because each case is the same.
>
> If I put in an additional variable to match the requested argument in the formula I get back the minimum for that variable on each individual case (as the added variable is lower on each case than the variable I am trying to get the minimum out of.)
>
> Does anyone have some recommendations?
>
> I am using SPSS 20

Have you tried the AGGREGATE command?

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLVMB_20.0.0/com.ibm.spss.statistics.help/syn_aggregate_functions.htm