How to combine single Likert items into one scale?

Hello,

I have a very time-sensitive question:

I am replicating a theory that uses 12 Likert items to measure three latent variables (4 items per latent variable).
Also in my study I use these 12 likert items that measure three latent variables. Every latent variables is measured by 4 Likert items. For my research, I have to combine/sum these variables into one measurement. So hat I have three variables as a result.
My question/problem is: How can I combine these 4 Likert items into one scale, so that I have one number for each latent variable that I can use for my analysis?
Some extra information:
All the Likert item are measured on a 5-point-Likert scale.
I have already run Cronbach's Alpha in SPSS and the 4 items have a very high Alpha. Also, the "corrected item- total correlation" is high enough.

I want to use the three variables in a ordinal log regression analysis.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

0
missleepenny
7/20/2016 4:57:29 PM
comp.soft-sys.stat.spss 5679 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 12:57:31 PM UTC-4, missle...@gmail.com wrote=
:
> Hello,
>=20
> I have a very time-sensitive question:
>=20
> I am replicating a theory that uses 12 Likert items to measure three late=
nt variables (4 items per latent variable).
> Also in my study I use these 12 likert items that measure three latent va=
riables. Every latent variables is measured by 4 Likert items. For my resea=
rch, I have to combine/sum these variables into one measurement. So hat I h=
ave three variables as a result.
> My question/problem is: How can I combine these 4 Likert items into one s=
cale, so that I have one number for each latent variable that I can use for=
 my analysis?
> Some extra information:
> All the Likert item are measured on a 5-point-Likert scale.
> I have already run Cronbach's Alpha in SPSS and the 4 items have a very h=
igh Alpha. Also, the "corrected item- total correlation" is high enough.
>=20
> I want to use the three variables in a ordinal log regression analysis.
>=20
> Your help is greatly appreciated!

If you are asking how to compute sums and means, take a look at the followi=
ng links:

http://libguides.library.kent.edu/SPSS/ComputeVariables
http://www.spss-tutorials.com/spss-sum-cautionary-note/

HTH.
0
Bruce
7/20/2016 9:45:22 PM
hi anybody know this,

how to find mean

here my syntax
CTABLES
  /VLABELS VARIABLES=  q1_5_1 q1_5_2 q1_5_3 q1_5_4 q1_5_5 DISPLAY=LABEL
  /TABLE  center[c] >( q1_5_1[c] [ROWPCT.COUNT F40.0] +
          q1_5_2[c] [ROWPCT.COUNT F40.0 ] +
          q1_5_3[c] [ROWPCT.COUNT F40.0] +
          q1_5_4[c] [ROWPCT.COUNT F40.0] +
          q1_5_5[c] [ROWPCT.COUNT F40.0])
  /CLABELS ROWLABELS=OPPOSITE
 /CATEGORIES VARIABLES=  q1_5_1 q1_5_2 q1_5_3 q1_5_4 q1_5_5 ORDER=A
   KEY=VALUE EMPTY=EXCLUDE  LABEL ='BASE'.
0
Elavarasi