poor spss v.12 performance -- workspace, cache, execute

Listmembers --

I have encountered slow (hours of CPU time) performance trying to run a
simple log10 transform compute statement (see below) on a moderate
sized file (4788 numeric vars X 40 cases; <5Mb; stored on the local
harddisk) on my desktop and laptop PCs (>1.75GHz; >425Mb RAM; Win XP
Home SP1) using spss v.12.0.2. By contrast, I observe quite reasonable
performance when I run a Student's t test (2394 condition A's vs. 2394
condition B's) on the same data.

In attempting to diagnose the problem, I've scoured Raynald Levesque's
site and book, as well as spss's corporate site. From these sources,
I've experimented with modifying (1) the workspace size -- increasing
it to 400Mb, (b) frequency of caches -- increasing it from the default
n=20 to n=5000, and number of EXECUTE statements -- from 1 per 4388
COMPUTE statements to 1 per 100 COMPUTEs (see below). I have also
confirmed that the syntax runs on a small subset of variables (1st 100)
to test whether
there was a simple syntax error.

The syntax for modifying the spss settings looks like:

CACHE.
SET WORKSPACE=399000.
SET CACHE 4788.
show all.

The syntax for the transformation looks like:

COMPUTE lgsf1=LG10(safe1) .
COMPUTE lgsf2=LG10(safe2) .
COMPUTE lgsf3=LG10(safe3) .
COMPUTE lgsf4=LG10(safe4) .
COMPUTE lgsf5=LG10(safe5) .
COMPUTE lgsf6=LG10(safe6) .
COMPUTE lgsf7=LG10(safe7) .
COMPUTE lgsf8=LG10(safe8) .
COMPUTE lgsafe9=LG10(safe9) .
..
..
..
COMPUTE lgth2391=LG10(thrt2391) .
COMPUTE lgth2392=LG10(thrt2392) .
COMPUTE lgth2393=LG10(thrt2393) .
COMPUTE lgth2394=LG10(thrt2394) .
EXECUTE .

As I said, I've experimented with the frequency of interspersing
EXECUTE statements.

If anyone has any suggestions for either improving performance or
diagnosing the problem, I would much appreciate it. Perhaps by
condensing
the code into a more elegant form, performance would be improved??

Thanks,
Alex Shackman
Alexander J. Shackman
Laboratory for Affective Neuroscience | W.M. Keck Laboratory for
Functional Brain Imaging & Behavior
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1202 West Johnson Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53706

PH: +1 (608) 358-5025 (cell)
FAX: +1 (608) 265-2875
EMAIL: ajshackman@gmail.com
WWW: http://psyphz.psych.wisc.edu/~shackman |
http://brainimaging.waisman.wisc.edu/~shackman/

0
shackman
1/16/2005 12:08:18 AM
comp.soft-sys.stat.spss 5679 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"shackman@wisc.edu" <ajshackman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Listmembers --
>
> I have encountered slow (hours of CPU time) performance trying to run a
> simple log10 transform compute statement (see below) on a moderate
> sized file (4788 numeric vars X 40 cases; <5Mb; stored on the local
> harddisk) on my desktop and laptop PCs (>1.75GHz; >425Mb RAM; Win XP
> Home SP1) using spss v.12.0.2. By contrast, I observe quite reasonable
> performance when I run a Student's t test (2394 condition A's vs. 2394
> condition B's) on the same data.
>
> In attempting to diagnose the problem, I've scoured Raynald Levesque's
> site and book, as well as spss's corporate site. From these sources,
> I've experimented with modifying (1) the workspace size -- increasing
> it to 400Mb, (b) frequency of caches -- increasing it from the default
> n=20 to n=5000, and number of EXECUTE statements -- from 1 per 4388
> COMPUTE statements to 1 per 100 COMPUTEs (see below). I have also
> confirmed that the syntax runs on a small subset of variables (1st 100)
> to test whether
> there was a simple syntax error.
>
> The syntax for modifying the spss settings looks like:
>
> CACHE.
> SET WORKSPACE=399000.
> SET CACHE 4788.
> show all.
>
> The syntax for the transformation looks like:
>
> COMPUTE lgsf1=LG10(safe1) .
> COMPUTE lgsf2=LG10(safe2) .
> COMPUTE lgsf3=LG10(safe3) .
> COMPUTE lgsf4=LG10(safe4) .
> COMPUTE lgsf5=LG10(safe5) .
> COMPUTE lgsf6=LG10(safe6) .
> COMPUTE lgsf7=LG10(safe7) .
> COMPUTE lgsf8=LG10(safe8) .
> COMPUTE lgsafe9=LG10(safe9) .
> .
> .
> .
> COMPUTE lgth2391=LG10(thrt2391) .
> COMPUTE lgth2392=LG10(thrt2392) .
> COMPUTE lgth2393=LG10(thrt2393) .
> COMPUTE lgth2394=LG10(thrt2394) .
> EXECUTE .
>
> As I said, I've experimented with the frequency of interspersing
> EXECUTE statements.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions for either improving performance or
> diagnosing the problem, I would much appreciate it. Perhaps by
> condensing
> the code into a more elegant form, performance would be improved??

WORKSPACE and CACHE have nothing to do with it.  I'm virtually certain the
problem  is simply the number of command lines being parsed and (more
importantly) echoed in the log.  If I'm right, you can make it much faster
just by not echoing the commands (SET PRINTBACK OFF.)

You should also be able to make it fast by replacing the long string of
computes with a much shorter sequence like

vector lgsf = lgsf(2394).         /* a vector of new variables
format lgsf1 to lgsf2394 (f8.5).
vector safe = safe1 to safe2394.   /* vector of existing variables
loop #i = 1 to 2394.
      compute lgsf(#i) = lg10(safe(#i)).
end loop.

Jonathan Fry
SPSS Inc.

0
Jonathan
1/17/2005 10:51:02 PM
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:51:02 -0600, "Jonathan Fry"
<jon@NOSPAM.spss.com> wrote:

> "shackman@wisc.edu" <ajshackman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Listmembers --
> >
> > I have encountered slow (hours of CPU time) performance trying to run a
> > simple log10 transform compute statement (see below) on a moderate
> > sized file (4788 numeric vars X 40 cases; <5Mb; stored on the local
> > harddisk) on my desktop and laptop PCs (>1.75GHz; >425Mb RAM; Win XP
> > Home SP1) using spss v.12.0.2. By contrast, I observe quite reasonable
> > performance when I run a Student's t test (2394 condition A's vs. 2394
> > condition B's) on the same data.

[snip, good documentation concerning attempts
to fix; example of code, etc.]

> WORKSPACE and CACHE have nothing to do with it.  I'm virtually certain the
> problem  is simply the number of command lines being parsed and (more
> importantly) echoed in the log.  If I'm right, you can make it much faster
> just by not echoing the commands (SET PRINTBACK OFF.)

A few thousand lines need to be echoed, once.
This is trivial, isn't it?

> You should also be able to make it fast by replacing the long string of
> computes with a much shorter sequence like
>
> vector lgsf = lgsf(2394).         /* a vector of new variables
> format lgsf1 to lgsf2394 (f8.5).
> vector safe = safe1 to safe2394.   /* vector of existing variables
> loop #i = 1 to 2394.
>       compute lgsf(#i) = lg10(safe(#i)).
> end loop.

I'm always interested in benchmarking and in what
affects performance.  The above looks like it could help.

But, Jon, and everyone, the original post says that
the task did not finish in  *hours*!

I think that I can understand how this *might* arise
under a control of an interpretative parser -- If this is,
indeed the cause, I think that SPSS may want to put
serious effort into improving the handling of long
syntax files, for instance, by some partial compilation
of commands

1) When SPSS reads 2394 commands with unique variable
names, does it have to search the original variable list,
in order, to find the variable to operate on?   I remember
horrible performance from BMDP  owing to this cause,
maybe 25 years ago, with a list of 200 variables.  I cured
it by using the variable 'number'  which BMDP could allow,
rather similar in essence to the cure described above.
However, BMDP fixed that problem, long before SPSS
bought them out in 1990 or so.

2) The early version of Paradox's  programmable interface
had a problem with any long syntax, since it (seemingly)
saved all commands as a block of text, and needed to
rescan all previous commands in order to count lines,
to find where each next command was.  That seemed slow
for hundreds of lines, on a  35 MH  computer.

While I've never had a few thousand commands for 40 cases,
I have done a few hundred commands for hundreds of cases,
with slower computers, and I expect less than a minute.
I know that taking a log is slow, compared to some things,
but it should not be that slow.

Another possibility?
The present problem has two 'WorkSpaces', of a sort,  that
are unusually long - over 32 thousand bytes for each
record, and perhaps twice that for the text of Computes.

I guess can imagine a subtle problem of 'thrashing'  if
those two spaces are not both completely in memory.
It does seem to me that SPSS should reserve those spaces
without difficulty, as Jon says.  However, if Windows  is
finding some reason to mis-handle the allocations, could
Windows invoke ridiculous amounts of paging?  -- This
should show up to the user as a disk-read light that stays
on during that long execution.

Still curious.

--
Rich Ulrich, wpilib@pitt.edu
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html
shackman@wisc.edu <ajshackman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Listmembers --

> I have encountered slow (hours of CPU time) performance trying to run a
> simple log10 transform compute statement (see below) on a moderate
> sized file (4788 numeric vars X 40 cases; <5Mb; stored on the local
> harddisk) on my desktop and laptop PCs (>1.75GHz; >425Mb RAM; Win XP
> Home SP1) using spss v.12.0.2. By contrast, I observe quite reasonable
> performance when I run a Student's t test (2394 condition A's vs. 2394
> condition B's) on the same data.

..............snip, snip

Jonathan and Rich's comments made me curious.  It clearly
does seem to be a problem of SPSS's interpreter. I duplicated
the OP's problem for 1000 and 5000 variables and found:

1) Running per the OP's approach, with 1000s of syntax statements,
took about 10 sec. for 1000 variables, and about 270 sec for 5000 .
2) Using DO REPEAT
   do repeat x = x1 to x5000/y = y1 to y5000 .
       compute y - lg10(x) .
   etc.

took about 2.5 sec for 1000 variables, and about 100 sec for 5000
variables.
3) Loop, per Jonathan's suggestion, was essentially instantaneous
for 1000 variables, and took about 1.5 sec. for 5000 variables.

Some comments:

SPSS *does* appear to be seriously interpretation bound.
I would never have guessed how much this was true.  What
is more surprising to me is the nonlinearity in degradation
of performance.  Why should it take 27 times as long
to run 5 times as many syntax statements, per 1), or  40
times as long to run a do repeat that is 5X as long?
I'm surprised, in fact, that the do repeat is any faster
than just straight syntax because I had generally presumed
that do repeat simply amplified the flow of syntax fed
to the SPSS "engine."

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=
Mike Lacy,  Ft Collins CO 80523
Michael.Lacy.junk@colostate.edu wrote:
> Jonathan and Rich's comments made me curious.  It clearly
> does seem to be a problem of SPSS's interpreter. I duplicated
> the OP's problem for 1000 and 5000 variables and found:

> 1) Running per the OP's approach, with 1000s of syntax statements,
> took about 10 sec. for 1000 variables, and about 270 sec for 5000 .

..... snip, snip of my own material

I did the preceding with PRINTBACK ON. (I had neglected Jonathan's
comment here about that, and Rich pointed this out offline.)

So, I reran the preceding with SET PRINTBACK OFF, and got
a time of 6.5 sec for 1000 variables, and 160 sec with 5000 variables.
(I'm running under Windows with Viewer output, which might matter
here.) Note that the scaling of the problem is still nonlinear.

I can't say as I can understand why this might be.  Perhaps
Jonathan can enlighten us here.
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=
Mike Lacy,  Ft Collins CO 80523
Clean out the 'junk' to email me.
0
Michael
1/18/2005 9:16:31 PM
On 18 Jan 2005 14:16:31 -0700, Michael.Lacy.junk@colostate.edu wrote:

> Michael.Lacy.junk@colostate.edu wrote:
> > Jonathan and Rich's comments made me curious.  It clearly
> > does seem to be a problem of SPSS's interpreter. I duplicated
> > the OP's problem for 1000 and 5000 variables and found:
>
> > 1) Running per the OP's approach, with 1000s of syntax statements,
> > took about 10 sec. for 1000 variables, and about 270 sec for 5000 .
>

> .... snip, snip of my own material
>
> I did the preceding with PRINTBACK ON. (I had neglected Jonathan's
> comment here about that, and Rich pointed this out offline.)
>
> So, I reran the preceding with SET PRINTBACK OFF, and got
> a time of 6.5 sec for 1000 variables, and 160 sec with 5000 variables.
> (I'm running under Windows with Viewer output, which might matter
> here.) Note that the scaling of the problem is still nonlinear.
>
> I can't say as I can understand why this might be.  Perhaps
> Jonathan can enlighten us here.

This is a little slow, sure, but it is not the grave
PROBLEM originally cited -- far slower, on a fast PC.

Just to be sure, I looked back at what I quoted
from the Original Post --

Original > >
> > I have encountered slow (hours of CPU time) performance trying to run a
> > simple log10 transform compute statement (see below) on a moderate
> > sized file (4788 numeric vars X 40 cases; <5Mb; stored on the local
> > harddisk) on my desktop and laptop PCs (>1.75GHz; >425Mb RAM; Win XP
> > Home SP1) using spss v.12.0.2.

It seems to me that Mike has confirmed that a total
performance time of *hours*  of CPU  time is outside
of the scope of Jon's explanation.  And, if I read it
right, SPSS performs it that slowly on two computers, so
the explanation is not just "one screwed up installation"
of SPSS and/or Windows.

Unless the OP  was combining the times of a hundred runs?
However, he was generally excellently specific in
his documentation.

--
Rich Ulrich, wpilib@pitt.edu
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html
0
Richard

Upgrade to SPSS 12 or SPSS 13
Hi, Are they people here that have upgraded from SPSS 10 or 11 to SPSS 12 or SPSS 13 ? I've read the differences between the versions on SPSS.com. However, I am a generic user and I would like to know if there are some real advantages to upgrade. Any experiences or advices would be greatly appreciated, Regards, Michael ...

how can i open a spo.file of for example spss 14 in spss 12
I have the version 12 of spss. a friend of mine sent to me a spo. file of a higher version (which one, i have no idea). now i wanted to have a look at it, but i can not open it. my question is, is there any posibility to open that file? On Jan 10, 2:06 pm, ulrikealb...@gmail.com wrote: > I have the version 12 of spss. a friend of mine sent to me a spo. file > of a higher version (which one, i have no idea). now i wanted to have a > look at it, but i can not open it. my question is, is there any > posibility to open that file? have your friend export it to excel ...

how can i open a spo.file of for example spss 14 in spss 12 #2
I have the version 12 of spss. a friend of mine sent to me a spo. file of a higher version (which one, i have no idea). now i wanted to have a look at it, but i can not open it. my question is, is there any posibility to open that file? As far as I know: none - I've asked the supportline: there's no conversion tool. Peter ulrikealbers@gmail.com schrieb: > I have the version 12 of spss. a friend of mine sent to me a spo. file > of a higher version (which one, i have no idea). now i wanted to have a > look at it, but i can not open it. my question is, is there any > posibility to open that file? > ...

SPSS 12 - Possible Data Loss
Dear all! I just want to inform you about possible data loss during data entry with SPSS 12. Friends and Collegues told me about problems they had with SPSS 12. Single Cases or cell values got lost. SPSS has published a warning message and a patch about that problem (see below). Patch for Windows XP: ------------------------ ftp://ftp.spss.com/pub/spss/windows/2K_XP.reg Other Patches: ---------------- http://support.spss.com/tech/default.asp =>PATCHES => SPSS CLIENT PATCHES => Choose newest Patch Login: "guest" Passwort: "guest" I highly rec...

SPSS v. 16 Rounding Stats in Frequencies Command
Hi All, Just upgraded to version 16, and would like to see if others are experiencing this. Try running frequencies and request the mean (no other stats). Does it round the mean? Mine does. Try requesting mean and SD. Mine still rounds. Now add something else -- try requesting mean, SD, and skewness. Mine now gives the decimals. I'm curious what others are experiencing. Thanks! Kindly, Mary On Jan 18, 1:52 pm, "marybetholi...@gmail.com" <marybetholi...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > Just upgraded to version 16, and would like to see if others are > experiencing this. > > Try running frequencies and request the mean (no other stats). Does it > round the mean? Mine does. > > Try requesting mean and SD. Mine still rounds. > > Now add something else -- try requesting mean, SD, and skewness. Mine > now gives the decimals. > > I'm curious what others are experiencing. > > Thanks! > > Kindly, > > Mary I am not seeing that. I used an Age variable (years in whole numbers), and get a mean to 2 decimals in all cases. Just curious...have you applied the 16.0.1 patch and the two hotfix patches? -- Bruce Weaver bweaver@lakeheadu.ca www.angelfire.com/wv/bwhomedir "When all else fails, RTFM." On Jan 18, 2:12 pm, Bruce Weaver <bwea...@lakeheadu.ca> wrote: > On Jan 18, 1:52 pm, "marybetholi...@gmail.com" > &g...

spss 12
Does anyone have any experience of using SPSS12 on XP? There seems some problems with installing the program on this windows platform. Thanks Pete ...

SPSS
--Apple-Mail-4-587532378 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed A piece of software that badly needs to be written is an easy-to-use statistics package. Apparently, in the social sciences the industry standard is this program called SPSS, which is a chore to use, quite expensive, and suffers from all sorts of vestiges that no modern program should. The essential functions are importing (and 'massaging') data, running regressions, and making pretty graphs. When I got thinking about this idea I realized it would be really coo...

SPSS
Is anybody able to run SPSS for Windows under WINE? If one of the developers could please have a look into this. Download a trial version from spss.de and try to install and run it. Thanks! On Mar 15, 10:40 am, Oliver Cromwell <cromwell.nos...@arcor.de> wrote: > Is anybody able to run SPSS for Windows under WINE? If one of the developers > could please have a look into this. > > Download a trial version from spss.de and try to install and run it. See http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=1028 There are lots of problems, looks like it might be a while bef...

SPSS
Heren, Ik heb op melpomene een een SPSS 15 evaluation versie plus een patch die hem "repareert" neergezet. Bij mij werkt het resultaat eindelijk zonder een hoop gezeik over licenties. Kijk op \\melpomene\c$\es-pee-es-es\ Tot morgen, Sil ...

SPSS
Can anyone help me to find some help in the web (explantions) about Constrained regression using the Regression Model module in SPSS? Thanks. NATALIA ...

Difference between SPSS 14 and SPSS 13
I created simple bars: summarise for separate variables panele by variable X. The variable X has 4 levels, and I defined values of these levels: 1- never married, 2 - widowed, 3 - married, 4 - divorced. In SPSS 13 I get chart with row levels as I defined (never married, widowed ...) but doing exactly the same in SPSS 14 I get numbers: 1,2,3,4. What should I do to get as in SPSS 13? I would appreciate any help Robert Sounds like you just need to change the options for your output. Go to Edit, Options, then the Output Labels tab. I select 'Names and Labels' for all of the options on this tab. It does not work. Even I have 'Lables' in all of the options. What is wrong with my SPSS 14 (I have patch 14.0.2). I have the same problem with SPSS 14.0: I can't edit a chart's title. When I add a new title, this new textbox seems not editable either... S ...

spss 12 #2
"peter" <p.e.beaman@lboro.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<bnqn0c$9cc$1@sun-cc204.lut.ac.uk>... > Does anyone have any experience of using SPSS12 on XP? > There seems some problems with installing the program on this windows > platform. > Thanks > Pete Pete, what kind of problems? Mine installed as expected. I did notice that if I left a prior version on the PC, in my case V11+, then after installing V12 there were, as expected, file reference changes in the registry. That is, the SPSS file types pointed to V12 and V11+'s were lost. My exp...

SPSS?
I have been using SPSS's database program, the data entry builder. The program is decent, better than access and has seamless integration with SPSS - a must for me. Does anyone know how well filemaker works with SPSS? I wanted to give it a try. I haven't used it but I would imagine it is a lot more powerful and flexible than the SPSS program. Marc In a far far away past I used a program called SPSS (Back in DOS 3.0). This was for number crunching, statistical reviews etc. Don't know what exactly it is you need, but if it is the same program (newer version) you are using I...

spss 12 crack
spss 12 crack http://cracks.00bp.com F R E E C R A C K S ...

SPSS 12 #3
Is SPSS version 12 already shipping in the US? -- Liebe Gr��e / Best regards, Andreas V�lp psy consult scientific services Frankfurt am Main - Germany Yes, we received 12.0 about 2 months ago. But after reading the "ReadMe" file which indicates that, "on rare occasion, data may be lost when saving a file..." I checked with SPSS and they said that this will be fixed in version 12.0.1, so I am waiting for that updated version to come out. They wrote on Oct. 12th that 12.0.1 would be released in a couple of weeks. Have not seen it yet. HTH Cheers, ...

SPSS 12 and MySQL
Hallo when i want to connect to mysql with spss 12 with the mysql odbc driver, spss is crashing. can i connect to mysql? how it is possible? thanks very much cu george Hi All: When I do Cochran's and Mantel-Haenszel test,when the layer is more than two,It dost not work.Why? I Need your help. zfwen <zfwen007@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi All: > When I do Cochran's and Mantel-Haenszel test,when the layer is more > than two,It dost not work.Why? > I Need your help. I thought of two things you might mean: 1) If the laye...

Poor I/O performance (was poor SCSI performance)
Hello, in case of the predecessor stream (poor SCSI performance), I did made a few tests with COPY and BACKUP. For the test I created a 128MB file with fixed record size. To measure the I/O performance I used the following two commands: 1. $PIPE SH TI ; COPY file NL: ; SH TI 2. $PIPE SH TI ; BACK file NL:T/SAVE ; SH TI With BACKUP the performance was independent of record size (about 30MB/s). Not so COPY; the performance varying from 60MB/s (record size = 16384) to 0.6MB/s (record size = 16). In case of this I think COPY is not match intelligent programmed. Copy is used to copy files, so it s...

Crosstabs in SPSS 12
Hi all, i am new in all this statistic stuffs. I got SPSS 12, and have to connetct to database and get some results for analize. the best way for explainig is example. i got table in database with data TABLE user_id id_quest id_answer ----------------------------------------- 1 1 1 1 2 0 1 3 1 2 1 1 2 2 1 2 3 1 is ...

Stay with patched SPSS 16 or go with SPSS 17?
Hi to all. For next semester we are trying to decide whether to stay with 16.0.2 or go on to 17. Searching the SPSS site did not give me enough to decide. For those of you who have tried 17, would you recommend it over patched 16? What has been your experience? TIA. Cheers, Necia Necia A. Black, Ph.D. e-mail: black@buffalo.edu 246 Computing Center Web URL:http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~black SUNY-Buffalo Buffalo, New York 14260 Fo all intent and purposes version 17 is really a more patched version of 16, 16.02 still has issues that won't be resolved. Also 17 does have a syntax window which has finally been updated to be more user friendly. I would be inclined to go with 17, and 17.01 is currently in test and will be out fairly soon. Fred On Nov 20, 4:59=A0pm, necia <bl...@buffalo.edu> wrote: > Hi to all. > > For next semester we are trying to decide whether to stay with 16.0.2 or > go on to 17. =A0Searching the SPSS site did not give me enough to decide. > For those of you who have tried 17, would you recommend it over patched > 16? =A0What has been your experience? > > TIA. > Cheers, > Necia > > Necia A. Black, Ph.D. =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 e-mail: =A0bl...@buffalo.edu > 246 Computing Center =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Web URL:http://www.acsu.buffa= lo.edu/~black > SUNY-Buffalo > Buffalo, New York 14260 On Nov 21, 2:49=A0am, fred.sut...@lsc.gov.uk wrote: > F...

can SPSS 13 read files created by SPSS 14?
just got a call from a colleague saying a faculty member who is currently using SPSS 13 needs to read SAVE files (and others?) created by SPSS 14. I haven't had 13 in years (actually have 15 on my system). The colleague is having a copy of SPSS 15 sent, but are files created with 14 readable by 13? I have suggested that if necessary, portable files could be used for the data, but I do not know if other files are being used as well (colleague is not familiar with SPSS). Thanks for any help, -- Joe Kelley jkelley@uga.edu Hi Joe, AFAIK SPSS has/will maintain compatibility for data files! When will they STOP breaking the spo files? Neila jkelley@uga.edu wrote: > just got a call from a colleague saying a faculty member who is > currently using SPSS 13 needs to read SAVE files (and others?) created > by SPSS 14. I haven't had 13 in years (actually have 15 on my system). > The colleague is having a copy of SPSS 15 sent, but are files created > with 14 readable by 13? I have suggested that if necessary, portable > files could be used for the data, but I do not know if other files are > being used as well (colleague is not familiar with SPSS). > Thanks for any help, > -- Joe Kelley > jkelley@uga.edu On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 14:22:05 -0500, <neilanessa@msn.com> wrote: > When will they STOP breaking the spo files? That's why I still use SPSS-for-Windows version 6.1.4. The output is plain ...

SPSS 12 network install.
Hi, I desperately need help! We currently run our SPSS 12 (upgraded recently from 11.5) from a network install. This way, several users can share concurrent licenses since none require it's constant use. The install works perfectly fine for the single user office machines. Each one of these users has the privileges to access the network location when they log on to the computer. However... the problem lies in the shared computer. The shared computer is running a new image of Windows 2000, updated Norton antivirus software among other necessary software packages. Only ...

XML in SPSS 12.0
I heard that SPSS version 12 was able to read XML files as input, particularly those that are produced from Microsoft ADO recordsets. Is this true? If so, how is it done? TIA, Martin ...

Upgrading to SPSS v. 16?
Hello, My office is considering an upgrade to SPSS version 16 from v. 15. I am wondering what the pros and cons are of version 16 and if you think it would be worthwhile to upgrade. I would also like to know how long SPSS plans to support v. 15, because if they are keeping up the tech support for a long time it would be worth it for us to just remain using v. 15. We work in an academic environment with data from large national surveys. I've read many negative things about v. 16 on this group, such as the slow processing speed. Has anyone gotten around that problem? It can already take me between 5 to 15 minutes to process data using version 15 (as we are gathering thousands of data points) would 16 be even slower? Thanks! --Tim Tim.Main42@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > My office is considering an upgrade to SPSS version 16 from v. 15. > > I am wondering what the pros and cons are of version 16 and if you > think it would be worthwhile to upgrade. > > I would also like to know how long SPSS plans to support v. 15, > because if they are keeping up the tech support for a long time it > would be worth it for us to just remain using v. 15. > > We work in an academic environment with data from large national > surveys. I've read many negative things about v. 16 on this group, > such as the slow processing speed. Has anyone gotten around that > problem? It can already take me between 5...

PROC CONVERT spss. Too long variable names from SPSS to SAS
Hallo I need to import a spss data file into SAS. I works just fine except from the the spss variable names being longer than eight characters and are thus renamed to a length of eight in SAS. Does anybody know how I can circumvent this problem? I need variable names of at least length 25 characters. By the way I'm using SAS 9.1! This is my code: filename myfile 'C:\bank\test.por'; proc convert spss=myfile out=work.vv; run; Thanks Anders Norway Why use proc convert? The following will read in a SAS file (okay, so I did it for a SAS .xpt file, but I think it will work on all...

Installing SPSS 12 demo
Hello. A friend of mine tried to install the SPSS 30-day evaluation version on Windows 2000 but didn't succeed. I tried to give him a hand but couldn't help. Basically what happens is that he had a previous SPSS version installed (i believe it was version 11) but decided to uninstall it. What he did was to search for files named SPSS and delete them (how clever!). I tried to run the SPSS evaluation version and then clicked "Next" several times until, after choosing the destination folder, there is some text with information where it says something like "SPS...

Web resources about - poor spss v.12 performance -- workspace, cache, execute - comp.soft-sys.stat.spss

Lady Gaga brings sexual-assault survivors on stage during powerful Oscars performance
... written with Diane Warren for the documentary "The Hunting Ground," which is about sexual assaults on college campuses. Gaga began the performance ...

Restaurant Performance Index indicates expansion in January
Here is a minor indicator I follow from the National Restaurant Association: Restaurant Performance Index Bounced Back Above 100 in January ...

Clinton Rape Accuser Thanks Lady Gaga For ‘Overwhelming’ Performance
Clinton Rape Accuser Thanks Lady Gaga For ‘Overwhelming’ Performance

Oscars Audience Moved To Tears By Lady Gaga Performance
It was the most emotional moment for those in the Oscar audience — Lady Gaga ’s intense performance of the Diane Warren song ‘Til it Happens ...

Lady Gaga Goes Makeup-Free Before Her Big Oscars Performance, Shouts Out Leonardo DiCaprio and Kesha
Lady Gaga Goes Makeup-Free Before Her Big Oscars Performance, Shouts Out Leonardo DiCaprio and Kesha

Infiniti Debuts High-performance Line With The Q50
Nissan’s luxury brand is playing catch up with the sportier competition

Lady Gaga joined by sexual assault survivors during Oscars performance
Fox News Lady Gaga joined by sexual assault survivors during Oscars performance Fox News Lady Gaga, center, performs "Til It Happens To You" ...

Full Episode: 02/29/16: Activists From Lady Gaga's Oscars Performance Share Their Stories
'Portlandia's' Fred Armisen, Carrie Brownstein on Their Show's Cultural Influence; Photojournalist Roughed Up at Trump Rally in Virginia

A Wooden Performance Is Fine WIth This Sequencer
... anybody can now assemble something that had they secured the services of a canny promoter would be in with a shot at stardom. So many performances ...