python

hi,

is there any possibility to include python in spss versions prior to
14???.

flo

0
stat
6/25/2007 4:13:17 PM
comp.soft-sys.stat.spss 5679 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Jun 25, 11:13 am, "stat.flo" <stat....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> is there any possibility to include python in spss versions prior to
> 14???.
>
> flo

Sorry, this is not possible.  The Python integration work goes deep
into the innards of SPSS and took quite a lot of engineering work to
build.

Regards,
Jon Peck

0
JKPeck
6/25/2007 9:52:00 PM
On 25 Jun., 23:52, JKPeck <JKP...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 25, 11:13 am, "stat.flo" <stat....@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > hi,
>
> > is there any possibility to include python in spss versions prior to
> > 14???.
>
> > flo
>
> Sorry, this is not possible.  The Python integration work goes deep
> into the innards of SPSS and took quite a lot of engineering work to
> build.
>
> Regards,
> Jon Peck

What a shame!

But Thanks a lot.

Flo

0
stat

[python] running macros in python, spss.Submit
Hey all, Using python to zip a file. I typically have a macro at the top of my syntax file that defines the working directory. I'm trying to run that macro in python so I can zip a file. Can you run a macro through spss.submit? Another issue. I can create the zipfile if I put the entire path inside the parens. But the zipfile is not compressed. It is the same size as the original file. If I create a python file (i.e. run.py) in the directory and run the python script the zipfile is created and is compressed. Is there a particular reason why running within the BEGI...

python is a python
python is a python ...

SPSS and python
Hi ... I want to try using python in SPSS, but got the following error in SPSS 14: ------------------------------------ >Error # 6886. Command name: BEGIN PROGRAM >The External Program could not be loaded. Load library from c:\program files\spss14\invokepython.dll failed. >Error # 6887. Command name: BEGIN PROGRAM >External program failed during initialization. ------------------------------------ I searched the install directory and could not find invokepython.dll. Does this mean that programming extensibility (sth like that) has not been purchased? It seems that programming extensibility is included in SPSS Base in version 15. However, the institution I am working at is still using SPSS 14, and I don't know how to check the modules installed. Thanks a lot for your kind attention. Best Regards, Shu Fai. Hi, don't know for sure, but it might be that the programmability plugin was not installed in your system. Try follow the instructions on page http://www.spss.com/devcentral/index.cfm?pg=articleDet&artId=8 Best regards, Anton On Mar 19, 5:55 am, "bal" <a-balaba...@yandex.ru> wrote: > Hi, > > don't know for sure, but it might be that the programmability plugin > was not installed in your system. Try follow the instructions on pagehttp://www.spss.com/devcentral/index.cfm?pg=articleDet&artId=8 > > Best regards, > Anton That's right. Programmabil...

Why do I have to prefix stat from <sys/stat.h> with the keyword struct?
Hi I´m about learning C/C++ and after covering the language basics I´m now heading for my first "real" application where I need to use the POSIX stuff for directory operations. Here´s my problem: The following code compiles and runs as it should inside a linux g++ environment using code::blocks IDE. But when I drop the "struct" prefix from line 12 "struct stat st;" It doesn´t compile any more and it says: |12|error: expected `;' before ‘st’ |12|warning: statement is a reference, not call, to function ‘stat’ |12|warning: statement has no...

Date & Time representation in "struct stat"
How date-time attributes of a file are represented in the structure "struct stat"? Coz as I noted they found to be unsigned integers and I donno how they are interpreted as date & time in the members st_atime, st_mtime, and st_ctime. I don't want any lib fun that returns the corresponding time formatted string coz what I want to know is the interpretation of date-time in those members so that I could extract them and use it for some purpose. Thx in advance to whoever participates this discussion... - Magesh Magesh wrote: > How date-time attributes of a file are represen...

Date & Time representation in "struct stat"
How date-time attributes of a file are represented in the structure "struct stat"? Coz as I noted they found to be unsigned integers and I donno how they are interpreted as date & time in the members st_atime, st_mtime, and st_ctime. I don't want any lib fun that returns the corresponding time formatted string coz what I want to know is the interpretation of date-time in those members so that I could extract them and use it for some purpose. Thx in advance to whoever participates this discussion... - Magesh "Magesh" <gs.magesh@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeit...

Stats n stats n stats
Since we have one of the most intense political races in recent history it's always interesting to see stats on how things shape up. Behind every good database are good stats. This underscores a bit what Gumby has been harping on, without the numbers you really don't have credibility when shaping opinion. Lies, damn lies and statistics... I love it. I do like stats, and well, this is somewhat related to what we do in our daily database world. One of the more interesting stats sites for politics is fivethirtyeight.com . This guy has a lot of chatter about polls right now, and backs a lot of it up with stats. It's almost legalised gambling. :-) So anyway without further drivvle... http://www.fivethirtyeight.com <== The owner of this website was interviewed by Dan Rather on HDNet ==> http://www.hd.net/danrather.html The guy that runs this site, Nate Silver, is young, smart, and ( for Gumby's sake ) is from Chicago. Very good interview if you catch it on satellite. DirecTV has HDNet in case you're interested. They will be rebroadcasting his interview over the next week or so. Anyway, if you're into stats, it was very interesting to hear from the mind behind the web site. I'm almost willing to bet though that it ain't Informix under the hood though, but thats another thread... -ID- A follow up on Nate Silvers' fivethirtyeight.com. The Dan Rather Interview is on http://www.fivethirtyeight....

Access to sys.argv when python interpreter is invoked in some modes like 'python -c "command"'
The python tutorial says "When the script name is given as '-' (meaning standard input), sys.argv[0] is set to '-'. When -c command is used, sys.argv[0] is set to '-c'. " but when we use a command say 'python -c "command"' where can we access "sys.argv" (are there some commands where "sys.argv" is accessed. I can run 'python -c "import sys sys.argv", I get an error message -Tiro poggle.themammal@gmail.com wrote: > The python tutorial says > "When the script name is given as '-' (meaning...

SPSS Server and Python
Hello what must we do that we can use python on our spss server version 14.0.2? we use red hat and python is installed and is running. On windows there is a plug-in for spss that must be installed. is there a plug-in also for linux? or must we only change a config-file in spss/linux? thank you very much cu Heidi The Python Plug-In and instructions for the Linux version are still in QA. When you are in local mode (not connected to Server), you use the standard Windows plugin materials. Your Linux Python will need to be at the 2.4 level, in case that is an issue/ Regards, Jon Peck SPSS Hello Jon, it was told to us that python works on the linux-server:( what do you expect when a final plug-in for linux-server-version will be released? thank you for your help cu Heidi It does work, but AFAIK, SPSS has not even released the 14.0.2 Server on Linux yet. I can't comment on release dates, but it should be quite soon. This version is in the final qa process. Thank you very much Jon. cu Heidi ...

scheme / python soft
Can somebody tell me what s exactly the difference beetween scheme and python languages i m thiking to learn one of them but i m not sure wich one somebody told me python is better and have much library somebody told me scheme is much smarter and have nice structure i also see a project about a scheme/python implementation here is the url i m not sure what s really but seems cool if someone know more about it or have some concrete exemple it can be more understable i m not sure what to do ps i want programming some open source soft for network with gui thankx a lot east wind Vent ...

SPSS 16
Dear all, our software developed with .NET (C#) accesses SPSS via the .NET wrapper assemblies interop.spsswinlib.dll and interop.spsswin.dll. With SPSS 15 an entry of the instance was written to the running object table whenever it was started. Therefore it was possible to get a connection to the running instance of SPSS from within our application. SPSS 16 does not write itself to the running object table anymore. In the documentation of SPSS 16 I found the information that it is no longer possible to connect to a running instance of SPSS from an external COM client. Since we still need to do this we are now wondering if we could create a workaround with the help of a Python script, that is responsible for writing an entry to the running object table when SPSS is started and to delete this entry when SPSS is closed. Since I am new to SPSS and Python I have the following questions: Is it possible to run a script automatically when SPSS starts and closes? I did not find a solution to this on the internet so far. If it is, how has the script to look like to be triggered on these two events? Is it then possible to get access to the running instance of spss from within the Python script and write the instance of SPSS to the running object table? Maybe by writing an extension module in C++? Besides this problem we realized that we can=92t create our own menu entries to SPSS 16 anymore by adding them to the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SPSS/Spss for...

SPSS Python Manual
Is there such a thing? I know the "Programming and Data Management" manual has plenty of examples of doing lots of stuff but I can't find a complete listing of functions and how to use them - more like the "Command Syntax Reference." Have I overlooked something? On May 26, 4:02=A0pm, RJ2 <richardjamesresea...@gmail.com> wrote: > Is there such a thing? I know the "Programming and Data Management" > manual has plenty of examples of doing lots of stuff but I can't find > a complete listing of functions and how to use them - more like the > "Command Syntax Reference." > > Have I overlooked something? Yes. Along with the plugin, a PDF file with the complete api is installed. Look for Help>Programmability>Python Plug-in or look for the pdf file under the SPSS installation directory in lang/en/help/ programmability (v17) or help/programmability in older versions. Regards, Jon Peck ...

SPSS and Python 2.5
I have just upgraded Python to 2.5 ... however, I can't install the python plugin for SPSS 14. It asks for 2.4. Is it a limitation for SPSS 14? I will upgrade to SPSS 15 in one or two months. Does SPSS 15 also requires Python 2.4? If yes, then I think I need to install two versions of Python (which is certainly undesirable). Many many thanks. -- Shu Fai Cheung Email: Please replace @... by @alumni.cuhk.net On May 16, 2:42 am, Shu Fai Cheung <sfche...@see.below> wrote: > I have just upgraded Python to 2.5 ... however, I can't install the python > plugin for SPSS 14. It asks for 2.4. > > Is it a limitation for SPSS 14? I will upgrade to SPSS 15 in one or two > months. Does SPSS 15 also requires Python 2.4? > > If yes, then I think I need to install two versions of Python (which is > certainly undesirable). > > Many many thanks. > -- > Shu Fai Cheung > Email: Please replace @... by @alumni.cuhk.net Yes, both SPSS 14 and 15 require Python 2.4. SPSS 16 will move to 2.5. Python 2.5 was released after SPSS 15 was shipped. The good news is that Python 2.4 and 2.5 seem to coexist happily on the same system, and, for use with SPSS, it does not matter which Python version owns the .py extension. HTH, Jon Peck ...

Python mascot? How about a Pythoneer?
I've been thinking that a good Python mascot might help in raising public awareness of Python. The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic enough. An effective mascot has to have something approximating two arms, two legs, and a head, so that he can be put into various interesting situations and adventures. (At the very least, he has to be able to work a keyboard and a mouse!) Good examples can be found in some of the imaginative things that have been done with Linux's Tux. So a snake is out. So are Terry Gilliam's wonderful cartoons for the Flyin...

Python to Python communication
Hello, I have a group of Python programms which I want to teach to "talk to each other". All run on Windows, on the same computer or in the same intranet. Security of communication is not an issue (encryption on lower level protocols / intra computer communication). Partially these programs are using wxPython. It is important that the communcation is "only an added feature", I am not willing to spend big memory / computing ressources on it. So I googled and came up with at least the following opportunities: XMLRPC - quite "simple" to implement within python, contained in my favourite web framework Quixote / medusa SOAP - around the same amount of work as XMLRPC ----> these two are fully buzzword compatible to enterprise communication needs. But are they really lightwight and needed? Banana - within the twisted framework. Is described as high performance with very litte ressources. From my scanning of twisted it is meanwhile possible to integrate it within wxPython and you only need to sell the soul of your firstborn for it; but I got the impression twisted rather needs a total commitment than a "I just need some banana, man" pyro - Python Remote Objects. Irmen de Jong has a "get Firefox" icon on it's page and he plays with the name "pyro", which makes a good impression. It looks rather "ripe", but: he is talking about "pyro 4.0" which will be incompatible with pyro ...

Python and SPSS
Hello! I want my script to loop through all the open datasets to find the dataset that contains the variables that my script is used for, how do I do this? I've tried the following but I seem to only get the opened datasets when using spss.GetDatasets() within a DataStep(): BEGIN PROGRAM PYTHON . # Get the dataset with the base data base_dataset = "" with spss.DataStep(): spss.Dataset(name=spss.ActiveDataset()) for ds in spss.GetDatasets(): variable_count = 0 print "Dataset: " + ds.name for var in ds.varlist: if (re.match('lpnr', var.name, re.IGNORECASE)): variable_count += 1 elif (re.match('bdia', var.name, re.IGNORECASE)): variable_count += 1 if (variable_count > 2): base_dataset = ds.name break if (base_dataset == ""): raise Exception("You must activate the dataset containing the main data with lpnr, bdia. etc") else: print "Chosen " + base_dataset END PROGRAM. An alternative could of course be to let the user choose between the open datasets but that also needs a list of all the datasets... On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:15:06 -0700 (PDT), Max wrote: > Hello! > > I want my script to loop through all the open datasets to find the > dataset that contains the variables that my script is used for, how do > I do this? I've...

sys.maxint in Python 3
In some algorithms a sentinel value may be useful, so for Python 3.x sys.maxint may be replaced by an improvement of the following infinite and neginfinite singleton objects: class Infinite(object): def __repr__(self): return "infinite" def __cmp__(self, other): if other is infinite: return 0 if other is neginfinite: return 1 other + 1 # type control return 1 infinite = Infinite() class NegInfinite(object): def __repr__(self): return "neginfinite" def __cmp__(self, other): if other is neginfinite: return 0 if...

Python debuggers with sys.settrace()
This is a bit of an odd question, but is there any way for a Python debugger to suppress I/O generated by the program which is being debugged? I guess an "obvious" thing to do would be to replace core parts of the standard library and change any relevant imports in the locals and globals dicts to fake ones which don't generate I/O, but this seems brittle as the standard library will change over time. Is it possible to modify the byte-compiled code in each stack frame? Or is there a simpler way to do this? Many thanks, Sarah -- Sarah Mount, Senior Lecturer, Unive...

python import sys.path
------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C96A76.E70E0270 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I have both 2.4 and 2.5 interpreters installed on a linux box. The PythonPath is set to : PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib64/portage/pym:/prod/bacula/local/lib64/python2.4/site-pa ckages:/prod/bacula/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages My main script is getting called like so: python2.4 cleanup.py wrkstnbs The imports statements in cleanup.py are as follows: import os,sys print sys.path from datetime import datetime from optparse import OptionParser # used for parsi...

Wrapping statements in Python in SPSS
I am working with Python looping in SPSS. What are the limits for the for var1, var2, var3 in zip(Variable1, Variable2, Variable3):=20 statement in the Python looping function within SPSS? I am getting an error= message, I presume because of wrapping or length. Imagine the above statem= ent, but expanded, as I am working with more than 28 variables in this loop= , and even making the names really short is making the statement too long. = Is it impossible to wrap and make this work? I know there are ways to wrap = strings, including lists of variables, but here I have a statement/fu...

What are files Z80.SYS, Z80CCP.SYS and PRMTVPVT.SYS for?
Had a good Christmas this weekend? I came across diskettes with "Mailmerge 3.0 and Calcstar version 1.45 for CP/M 8080", that seem to be for a Dec Rainbow machine. Besides a Mailmerge overlay and the Calcstar files, some CP/M and some CP/M-86 files, there are three files on the diskettes that I never have heard of before: Z80.SYS, Z80CCP.SYS and PRMTVPVT.SYS. There are no ASCII texts in PRMTVPVT.SYS. The only ASCII text in Z80.SYS (at the end of the file) is "EI SPHLDI XCHGPCHLXTHLRET HLT CMC STC CMA DAA RAR RAL RRC RLC NOP CPI ORI XRI ANI SBI IN SUI OUT ACI ADI CALLJMP LDA...

SYS Schema
All, Should the SYS schema have stats gathered for it, or not? We have found that the 9205 patchset wants them dropped... So, should we gather them at all? Thanks. Charles On 21 Sep 2004 14:13:16 -0700, cdavis10717@comcast.net (Charles) wrote: >Should the SYS schema have stats gathered for it, or not? > >We have found that the 9205 patchset wants them dropped... > >So, should we gather them at all? Oracle's statement of support of SYS stats in 9i is a bit fuzzy to say the least; haven't got the note number handy, but it's along the lines of "it'...

Embedding Python in Python
Hi, I've been programming in Python for a couple of weeks now and am quite impressed with the language - it was very easy to learn (it actually reminds me a lot of programming in BASIC many many years ago - it's very fast to hack together a couple lines of code in interactive mode). I'm throwing together a simple little game (sort of a MUD-type thing) as my first 'big' project, and I thought it would be cool to be able to script the game in Python. Basically, I want to be able to type scripts in from within the game and attach them to objects, monsters, rooms, whatever. N...

Invoking Python from Python
Hi all, I have a need to create a Python script on the fly from another Python program and then execute the script so created. Do I need to invoke Python through os.spawnl or is there a better way? Thanks, -- John Am Tue, 08 Nov 2005 08:10:25 -0800 schrieb John Henry: > Hi all, > > I have a need to create a Python script on the fly from another Python > program and then execute the script so created. Do I need to invoke > Python through os.spawnl or is there a better way? Hi, creating source code with a script, is no good solution. Once I had to maintain lisp code which stored its data in lisp code, too (incl. conditions and loops). It was a nightmare. Please explain what you want to do, and we will find a better solution. HTH, Thomas -- Thomas G�ttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/ E-Mail: guettli (*) thomas-guettler + de Spam Catcher: niemand.leermann@thomas-guettler.de In article <pan.2005.11.08.16.21.11.472836@thomas-guettler.de>, Thomas Guettler <niemand.leermann@thomas-guettler.de> wrote: . . . >creating source code with a script, is no good solution. > >Once I had to maintain lisp code which stored its data in lisp code, too >(incl. conditions and loops). It was a nightmare. > >Please explain what you want to do, and we will find a better solution. . . . Yes and no. There are times when it's justified. I ENTIRELY agree, though, that many people who *think* that's what they...

sys.path with multiple Python installations

Web resources about - python - comp.soft-sys.stat.spss

Python - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Two 4.5m pythons found at abandoned site at Cairns
An abandoned building at Cairns had &quot;all the right ingredients&quot; to be home sweet home for two rather large pythons Cairns Snake Removals ...

Five cats eaten by pythons in one month in Cairns
Ever heard the saying curiosity killed the cat? Well in North Queensland, curiosity, and pythons, killed five cats in one month.

106 Burmese pythons captured in Florida hunt, including 15-footer
AL.com 106 Burmese pythons captured in Florida hunt, including 15-footer AL.com DAVIE, Fla. (AP) — The 106 Burmese pythons captured over a ...

Ars Cardboard classics—the stupid fun Monty Python Fluxx
... embarrassment. But it was absolutely true that I wanted those two extra cards. And that, ladies and gentleman is the joy of Monty Python- themed ...

Cool Weather Helping Hunters In “Python Challenge”
Cold weather may be helping hunters in this year's month long "Python Challenge."

On the hunt to get rid of Florida's invasive pythons - Videos - CBS News
The hunt is on in the Florida Everglades for Burmese pythons, an out-of-control snake species. They’re not venomous, but they are big, strong ...

Don’t be afraid of Python; charm it instead
Python lives up to its name as one of the most flexible and far-reaching languages in web development. Like all coding languages, it can seem ...

Save hundreds on the Python Programming Bootcamp
Save hundreds on the Python Programming Bootcamp

Watch Kevin Hart Have a Total Meltdown When Confronted With a Python on 'Today' Australia
Watch Kevin Hart Have a Total Meltdown When Confronted With a Python on 'Today' Australia