SPSS - Adding nominal data from different variables

Hi friends,

I am an SPSS novice and am stumped on how to analyse this one without too m=
uch manual work. The problem is outlined below

-Survey participants were asked 'what snakes live in your area?'
-Participants had the opportunity to give up to 5 answers
-12 different snake breeds were identified, coded, and entered into 5 diffe=
rent variables in the order that the participants listed them:
              e.g. Viper (1), Cobra (2), Krait (3)...
-Some participants named 5 different snakes, so have data across all 5 vari=
ables, some only named 1 snake, so have data in the first variable, but mis=
sing data in variables 2-5
-Some participants may have named a viper as their 3rd selection, so it was=
 entered in the 3rd variable, some may have named it 1st, so it would be en=
tered into the 1st variable.

Is there a way to calculate this information in SPSS, so I can pull a frequ=
ency table that tells me how many people identified cobras (for example) in=
 their area? In other words, how do I pull a frequency table that tells me =
how many times the number '2' appears across 5 different variables.

Thanks,
Dale

0
dale1halliday
8/5/2016 12:09:03 AM
comp.soft-sys.stat.spss 5679 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 17:09:03 -0700 (PDT), dale1halliday@gmail.com
wrote:

>Hi friends,
>
>I am an SPSS novice and am stumped on how to analyse this one without too much manual work. The problem is outlined below
>
>-Survey participants were asked 'what snakes live in your area?'
>-Participants had the opportunity to give up to 5 answers
>-12 different snake breeds were identified, coded, and entered into 5 different variables in the order that the participants listed them:
>              e.g. Viper (1), Cobra (2), Krait (3)...
>-Some participants named 5 different snakes, so have data across all 5 variables, some only named 1 snake, so have data in the first variable, but missing data in variables 2-5
>-Some participants may have named a viper as their 3rd selection, so it was entered in the 3rd variable, some may have named it 1st, so it would be entered into the 1st variable.
>
>Is there a way to calculate this information in SPSS, so I can pull a frequency table that tells me how many people identified cobras (for example) in their area? In other words, how do I pull a frequency table that tells me how many times the number '2' appears across 5 different variables.

It looks like you want Multiple Response Sets.

--
Rich Ulrich

0
Rich