Use cronbach alpha to determine whether a factor is reliable?

Dear all,

I have a question regarding Cronbach Alpha, and it's cutoff criteria.
Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

I did a factor analysis on 27 items and extracted five factors
(Cronbach alpha ranges from .47 to .68). The summary of findings is
presented below.

Factor A: 5 items, Crobach alpha=3D0.68
Factor B: 4 items, Cronbach alpha=3D0.6
Factor C: 2 Items, Cronbach alpha=3D0.54 (Pearson corr=3D.371)
Factor D: 2 items, Cronbach alpha=3D0.52 (Pearson corr=3D.355)
Factor E: 2 items, Cronbach alpha=3D0.47 (Pearson corr=3D.326)

My committee asked me to only include the reliable variables (Factor A
& B) in a regression analysis. However, I=92ve seen many published
studies including factors with similar alpha coefficients in the
regression analysis in my field. Plus, factor C, D, and E do have
moderate correlations for each pair of variables, and they all only
have two items. I feel it is still valuable to include all five
factors in the regression analysis, since they are supported by the
theory. I prefer to including at least the first four factors in the
regression analysis (the results are also more interesting), but my
committee don't support the idea.

Questions:
1. Is it appropriate to use the formula of Spearman-Brown split-half
reliability coefficien to argue that if the factor have 4 items, its
alpha is close to .7?
2. Is there any other reliability measurement that I may use? Theta or
rho?
3. Any other suggestions about how I can make the argument are very
much appreciated.

Thanks so much for your input on this.
YT
0
yteng2 (1)
11/10/2009 3:28:40 AM
comp.soft-sys.stat.spss 5679 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow