Variable name contains an illegal character

Hi All,

I'm using SPSS 17, and I'm having problems pasting variable names from
a list (column) in excel to the variable name column in SPSS. I keep
getting the following error message: "Variable name contains an
illegal character". But there are no illegal characters involved!
Further, it will not give me this error message if I try to paste only
a small number of variable names (e.g., 2 names).

This is something that I have routinely used in the past with v. 15
with no problems. Indeed, if I use the same excel file with the same
names, it will paste perfectly with version 15, but will not with
version 17.

Also, this problem doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes it will
work ok, others not.

Any thoughts? I'm losing my mind here.

Thanks!

Mary
0
marybetholiver
1/29/2009 10:07:27 PM
comp.soft-sys.stat.spss 5679 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Jan 29, 5:07=A0pm, "marybetholi...@gmail.com"
<marybetholi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using SPSS 17, and I'm having problems pasting variable names from
> a list (column) in excel to the variable name column in SPSS.

What is the "variable name column" in SPSS?  Do you mean in the
Variable View tab of the Data Editor?

> I keep
> getting the following error message: "Variable name contains an
> illegal character". But there are no illegal characters involved!

But apparently there are.

> Further, it will not give me this error message if I try to paste only
> a small number of variable names (e.g., 2 names).
>
> This is something that I have routinely used in the past with v. 15
> with no problems. Indeed, if I use the same excel file with the same
> names, it will paste perfectly with version 15, but will not with
> version 17.
>
> Also, this problem doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes it will
> work ok, others not.
>
> Any thoughts? I'm losing my mind here.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mary

Perhaps if you explain why you're pasting variable names into SPSS,
someone can suggest an alternative way of accomplishing your goal. If
the point is to rename the variables in an existing file, for example,
you could do that with a RENAME VARIABLES command:

RENAME VARIABLES (list of current names =3D list of new names).

The list of current names can be pasted via the "Variables" tool (the
button has an icon of a data table with a red question mark beside
it), and the new names can be pasted from Excel.

--
Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

Thanks. But I'm afraid that I have just learned from SPSS in a phone
conversation that the problem is the following: "It's a bug."

I like to create variable names in excel because it's efficient. For
example, let's say I have an 18-item scale that assesses need for
cognition. I might like to name these variables nfc1, nfc2,...nfc18.
In excel I can create these names immediately by staring with the
first two names, nfc1 and nfc2, and then dragging down the column.

Likewise, sometimes I collect data online. It's very efficient to copy
the names of the form items in html into excel, then I can quickly
paste them into SPSS.

Let me reiterate, though, this this happens *and there are no illegal
characters* in the variable names. I can further demonstrate this
because I can open a file in SPSS that already has the variables in
place. If I were to want to copy some of the variable names from that
file into a new SPSS file, I get the same error message.

SPSS told me that "they are aware" of the problem and will try to
address it in the next patch.

For the life of me, I don't know why I let go of v. 15. I should have
learned my lesson after seeing v. 16.

Best,

Mary

On Jan 29, 6:11=A0pm, Bruce Weaver <bwea...@lakeheadu.ca> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 5:07=A0pm, "marybetholi...@gmail.com"
>
> <marybetholi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
>
> > I'm using SPSS 17, and I'm having problems pasting variable names from
> > a list (column) in excel to the variable name column in SPSS.
>
> What is the "variable name column" in SPSS? =A0Do you mean in the
> Variable View tab of the Data Editor?
>
> > I keep
> > getting the following error message: "Variable name contains an
> > illegal character". But there are no illegal characters involved!
>
> But apparently there are.
>

> > Further, it will not give me this error message if I try to paste only
> > a small number of variable names (e.g., 2 names).
>
> > This is something that I have routinely used in the past with v. 15
> > with no problems. Indeed, if I use the same excel file with the same
> > names, it will paste perfectly with version 15, but will not with
> > version 17.
>
> > Also, this problem doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes it will
> > work ok, others not.
>
> > Any thoughts? I'm losing my mind here.
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > Mary
>
> Perhaps if you explain why you're pasting variable names into SPSS,
> someone can suggest an alternative way of accomplishing your goal. If
> the point is to rename the variables in an existing file, for example,
> you could do that with a RENAME VARIABLES command:
>
> RENAME VARIABLES (list of current names =3D list of new names).
>
> The list of current names can be pasted via the "Variables" tool (the
> button has an icon of a data table with a red question mark beside
> it), and the new names can be pasted from Excel.
>
> --
> Bruce Weaver
> bwea...@lakeheadu.cahttp://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/
> "When all else fails, RTFM."

0
marybetholiver
1/29/2009 11:28:43 PM
marybetholiver@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello Bruce,
>
> Thanks. But I'm afraid that I have just learned from SPSS in a phone
> conversation that the problem is the following: "It's a bug."
>
> I like to create variable names in excel because it's efficient. For
> example, let's say I have an 18-item scale that assesses need for
> cognition. I might like to name these variables nfc1, nfc2,...nfc18.
> In excel I can create these names immediately by staring with the
> first two names, nfc1 and nfc2, and then dragging down the column.

It's also very easy in SPSS syntax.  E.g.,

numeric nfc1 to nfc18 (f5.0).
exe.

> Likewise, sometimes I collect data online. It's very efficient to copy
> the names of the form items in html into excel, then I can quickly
> paste them into SPSS.

As I said in my earlier post, you could just as easily paste them
into a RENAME VARIABLES command.  But it sounds like you are not a
syntax user.

--
Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca
On Jan 29, 6:20=A0pm, Bruce Weaver <bwea...@lakeheadu.ca> wrote:
> marybetholi...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hello Bruce,
>
> > Thanks. But I'm afraid that I have just learned from SPSS in a phone
> > conversation that the problem is the following: "It's a bug."
>
> > I like to create variable names in excel because it's efficient. For
> > example, let's say I have an 18-item scale that assesses need for
> > cognition. I might like to name these variables nfc1, nfc2,...nfc18.
> > In excel I can create these names immediately by staring with the
> > first two names, nfc1 and nfc2, and then dragging down the column.
>
> It's also very easy in SPSS syntax. =A0E.g.,
>
> numeric nfc1 to nfc18 (f5.0).
> exe.
>

> > Likewise, sometimes I collect data online. It's very efficient to copy
> > the names of the form items in html into excel, then I can quickly
> > paste them into SPSS.
>
> As I said in my earlier post, you could just as easily paste them
> into a RENAME VARIABLES command. =A0But it sounds like you are not a
> syntax user.
>

> > Let me reiterate, though, this this happens *and there are no illegal
> > characters* in the variable names. I can further demonstrate this
> > because I can open a file in SPSS that already has the variables in
> > place. If I were to want to copy some of the variable names from that
> > file into a new SPSS file, I get the same error message.
>
> > SPSS told me that "they are aware" of the problem and will try to
> > address it in the next patch.
>
> > For the life of me, I don't know why I let go of v. 15. I should have
> > learned my lesson after seeing v. 16.
>
> > Best,
>
> > Mary
>
> --
> Bruce Weaver
> bwea...@lakeheadu.cahttp://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/
> "When all else fails, RTFM."

I just received notification 10 minutes ago that this bug has been
resolved for the next maintenance release.  (I can't comment on the
release date for that at this time.)

Regards,
Jon Peck
0
JKPeck
1/30/2009 3:37:42 AM
Thanks Jon, very helpful. I use syntax extensively, but knowing that
the bug in the program will be resolved will be helpful.

Kind regards,

Mary
0
marybetholiver
1/30/2009 2:18:11 PM
Presumably if you have a list of variables in one column, say A, you
could add in a formula to another column, eg

=3D"COMPUTE " & A1 & "=3D-1."

Which you could use to create a block of syntax to create the
variables that way, and then in spss add in a recode for -1 to sysmis.
It would be a way round your current problem.

Fred

On Jan 30, 2:18=A0pm, "marybetholi...@gmail.com"
<marybetholi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jon, very helpful. I use syntax extensively, but knowing that
> the bug in the program will be resolved will be helpful.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Mary

0
fred
2/2/2009 10:56:26 AM
On Friday, January 30, 2009 at 12:07:27 AM UTC+2, marybet...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using SPSS 17, and I'm having problems pasting variable names from
> a list (column) in excel to the variable name column in SPSS. I keep
> getting the following error message: "Variable name contains an
> illegal character". But there are no illegal characters involved!
> Further, it will not give me this error message if I try to paste only
> a small number of variable names (e.g., 2 names).
>
> This is something that I have routinely used in the past with v. 15
> with no problems. Indeed, if I use the same excel file with the same
> names, it will paste perfectly with version 15, but will not with
> version 17.
>
> Also, this problem doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes it will
> work ok, others not.
>
> Any thoughts? I'm losing my mind here.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mary

Don't use 'Space'  in between variable names and dont start variable name with numbers thats it
sometimes spss do not accept capital letters ... i don't know why.. but it works
1
allthewaytogalaxy

Create a method with name, containing illegal characters
Hi there! I need to create a method with name, that contains '-' character. Is it possible, and if the answer is "yes", how can I do it? Thanks. On Oct 31, 7:34 am, kylichuku <Kirill.Isha...@gmail.com> wrote: > I need to create a method with name, that contains '-' character. Is > it possible, and if the answer is "yes", how can I do it? lim2:~ phrogz$ irb irb(main):001:0> class Foo irb(main):002:1> define_method("a-b") do irb(main):003:2* puts "What a strange need!" irb(main):004:2> end irb(main):005:1&g...

adding a variable name to a hash to name is part of the variable name
I have a perl script that I wrote the loops through a list of servers in a file and I want to create a hash with the server name in it. I want each server to have its own hash. for example $myserver = thor; hash name $server_$myserver_name{$some_key} want to get this hash name $server_thor_name{$some_key} How do I get the $myserver name to be interpolated to thor in that line? I tried this and it failed. $server_${myserver}_name{$some_key} -Bobby Bobby Chamness wrote: > I have a perl script that I wrote the loops through a list of servers > in a file and I want to create a hash...

a variable containing the name of another variable inside a callback
Dear all, I want to prepare a function that creates an uicontrol edit field which will read the inputed values and ascribe to a certain variable. Example: %---------- start script code -------------------- global var1 var1=11; editvar(var1) %---------- end script code -------------------- the function editvar must create an uicontrol edit field and ascribe the inputed values to the value of var1. %----------- start function editvar ---------------------- function editvar(inputvar) uicontrol('Style','edit' 'String', inputvar,... 'Callback', 'spri...

PROC CONVERT spss. Too long variable names from SPSS to SAS
Hallo I need to import a spss data file into SAS. I works just fine except from the the spss variable names being longer than eight characters and are thus renamed to a length of eight in SAS. Does anybody know how I can circumvent this problem? I need variable names of at least length 25 characters. By the way I'm using SAS 9.1! This is my code: filename myfile 'C:\bank\test.por'; proc convert spss=myfile out=work.vv; run; Thanks Anders Norway Why use proc convert? The following will read in a SAS file (okay, so I did it for a SAS .xpt file, but I think it will work on all...

Re: PROC CONVERT spss. Too long variable names from SPSS to SAS #2
Now this makes since, its an SPSS thing and not SAS. I know SAS can handle lnames longer than 8 characters in length, and a quick check of the help docs shouwed nothing that would indicate otherwise when using Proc Convert. Good thing to know. Toby -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Neerav Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 10:01 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: PROC CONVERT spss. Too long variable names from SPSS to SAS Anders, I have also had the same problem converting SPSS to SAS with the variable names being truncated. The only solution I could find is by renaming the variables manually to names 8 characters long, then importing it and renaming it into SAS. I believe that SPSS automatically truncates the variable names to 8 characters when creating portable files, its something to check out and thats where the problem is. Also, you should make sure your SPSS datafile does not have any 'user defined' missing values (e.g. -1=N/A) as SAS will read all missing values as system missing "." and you will lose those definitions. Hope this helps. Neerav With the later versions SPSS can now handle longer variable names. Not sure which version, maybe 12.0, started with that, but I do know that 12.0.2 Help says, "The length of a names cannot exceed 64 bytes. Sixty-four bits typically means 64 characters in single-byte languages (for example, English, .....) and 32 characters in d...

Re: PROC CONVERT spss. Too long variable names from SPSS to SAS #3
Another idea may be to create a comma-delimited file from the SPSS dataset to read into SAS. Or use DBMS/Copy. John Gerstle CDC Information Technological Support Contract (CITS) Biostatistician >> -----Original Message----- >> From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of >> Neerav >> Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 11:01 AM >> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >> Subject: Re: PROC CONVERT spss. Too long variable names from SPSS to SAS >> >> Anders, >> I have also had the same problem converting SPSS to SAS with the &...

naming a new variable based on the name of an existing variable
Hi, I=92ve a dataset where each row includes a unique provider id and 10 $ variables equal to the sum of charges for a specific procedure code (CPT code). The 10 procedure codes variables are named with the following convention: P_5digitsCPT So, I might have p_90806 and p_40890 and so on. The program id data driven so I could end up each time with 10 different codes. Since all of these start with p_ I can easily define and array using the p_: convention. Now, I want to define 10 new variables representing percentages for each p_ variable (i.e. percent_90806=3Dp_90806/SUM(of ...

Replacing a Character variable with part of another Character variable
Good evening all, I have a small problem that I need to solve and would appreciate any help you offer. I created the below table using some raw data. I created the Location variable using the ZIPCITY function. As you can see, in the last observation the City "Harrisbu" does not match the city under Location "Levittown" while for the first observation the Location is left blank because the zipcode is invalid. I need a simple code that does the following: 1.If they zipcode does not match the city/state (6th observation), create a code that suggests either edits to the zi...

Variable name of variables
Hello, I've a problem! I have to insert in my matlab program a " for " cycle in wich the name of variables is a function of cycle index so the name of variables is variable. For Example: for i=1:n ALFA i =...... end. I want to stamp: ALFA 1=... ALFA 2=... ..... ALFA n=... How can I do?????? Thank u!!! In article <1179169081.488869.62950@u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, Molokovellocet <molokovellocet@fastwebnet.it> wrote: >Hello, I've a problem! I have to insert in my matlab program a " for " >cycle in wich the name of variables is a func...

Variable variable name
Sorry for the cryptic subject, but I am trying to do the following (line numbers first) in a shell script: 15 type=AD 16 file=100000_10000_AD.csv 17 eval $type_10K=( `cat $file` ) I get the following error message: + type=AD + file=100000_10000_AD.csv combinetab.sh: line 17: syntax error near unexpected token `(' combinetab.sh: line 17: `eval $type_10K=( `cat $file` )' Isn't eval supposed to replace $type with AD and then put the contents of $file in an array names AD_10K? Thanks for any comments. -Samik Samik R. wrote: > Sorry for the cryptic subject, but I am trying to ...

variable with variable name
I would like to assign a series of values read from a file to some variable with name composite by a fix part ed a numeric part, like this: for k=1:N vark = <input values array> end The result would be some variables var1 var2 var3 ... varN that I can use for successive operation, like this (for example): for k=1:N S(k) = size(vark,2) end I can not use a matrix var(k,:) because the length of input array is not costant; because f the zero padding, if I will use an array I will have the same size for all the row var (k,:), equal to max(size(vark,2)). How can I to obtasin this Thanks Alberto "Alberto Borgato" <alborg63@hotmail.com> wrote in message <frtiaq$fgn$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I would like to assign a series of values read from a file > to some variable with name composite by a fix part ed a > numeric part, like this: > for k=1:N > vark = <input values array> > end > The result would be some variables var1 var2 var3 ... > varN that I can use for successive operation, like this > (for example): > for k=1:N > S(k) = size(vark,2) > end > I can not use a matrix var(k,:) because the length of input > array is not costant; because f the zero padding, if I will > use an array I...

Variables in Variable Name
The most basic way to ask my question if there is anyway of doing this would be a program that did: Dim test1 = 1 Dim test2 = 2 Dim test3 = 3 for i = 1 to 3 print testi next i Well this presents problems because it wont treat the i as a number, is there anyway of doing this? Thank you. Eric wrote: > > The most basic way to ask my question if there is anyway of doing this > would be a program that did: > > Dim test1 = 1 > Dim test2 = 2 > Dim test3 = 3 > > for i = 1 to 3 > print testi > next i You were close; all you need is brackets: dim test(3) as integer test(1) = 1 test(2) = 2 test(3) = 3 for i = 1 to 3 print test(i) next i > > Well this presents problems because it wont treat the i as a number, > is there anyway of doing this? Thank you. "Eric" <erickit@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:bd7ac0c8.0401260942.bdbdac6@posting.google.com... > The most basic way to ask my question if there is anyway of doing this > would be a program that did: > > Dim test1 = 1 > Dim test2 = 2 > Dim test3 = 3 > > for i = 1 to 3 > print testi > next i > > Well this presents problems because it wont treat the i as a number, > is there anyway of doing this? Thank you. Not sure of the exact dialect you're looking for but: DIM test (1 to 3) test(1)=1 test(2)=2 test(3)=3 for i = 1 to 3 print test(i) next i HK ...

Variable in a variable name
I have an entry page which can be used to key in data for ten people. My assigned variables for each field are in line with $personage1 $personage2 ....etc $personage9 $personage10 and so on. (I have 8 fields for every person, 80 values in all). To simplify my code and make changes easier I would like to create and use these variables with a variable "x" in the name This by recycling the code with $personX in and changing the value of x and running the code ten times. Probably in some kind of do while loop (fairly new to php, but I have been using Excel VB for years and am fa...

i have a BIG database, the variable names are in the left column Now i would like to crate one new variable using information from the variable names
i have a BIG database, the variable names are in the left column Now i would like to crate one new variable: FOR arararara>10 AND arararara<83 EX. If arararara=73 that variable should be the sum of SINSJO73 and SINSJO73M For arararara 83-99 or arararara 00-09 there are four variables to calculate EX. If arararara=94 that variable should be the sum of SINSJO94 SOCB94 SINSJO94M SOCB94M Please! arararara 73 94 SINSJO73 35664 28931 SINSJO74 41259 32379 SINSJO75 51368 37279 SINSJO76 59752 41826 SINSJO77 66719 47526 SINSJO78 62300 52600 SINSJO79 64400 57500 ...

Variable names with invalid characters
I've been given a .mat file to sort out which contains a set variables with invalid names. I don't know how the file was created. >> load A46_-10_dB_Set_1_-_1_9 >> who Your variables are: FL_Hub_Z- HRail_X+ HRail_Z+ RR_Hub_Z+ SeatBk_Y- SeatBs_X+ SeatBs_Z+ none FR_Hub_Z- HRail_Y+ RL_Hub_Z+ SeatBk_X- SeatBk_Z+ SeatBs_Y- Tacho Obviously, all the variable names containing a + or - are invalid...and yet they exist! >> isvarname('FL_Hub_Z-') ans = 0 >> exist('FL_Hub_Z-') ans = 1 All the variables are display...

Replacing a Character variable with part of another Character variable #2
Good evening all, I have a small problem that I need to solve and would appreciate any help you offer. I created the below table using some raw data. I created the Location variable using the ZIPCITY function. As you can see, in the last observation the City "Harrisbu" does not match the city under Location "Levittown" while for the first observation the Location is left blank because the zipcode is invalid. I need a simple code that does the following: 1.If they zipcode does not match the city/state (6th observation), create a code that suggests either edits to the z...

Illegal characters in computer name
Hi, Which characters are not allowed in a Macintosh computer name? Thanks in advance, Vincent In article <1115803529.978106.150150@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, vincentnuijten@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Which characters are not allowed in a Macintosh computer name? I don't think anything's illegal except colon. I just changed the name on mine to include several UTF-8 characters without complaint. -- There's nothing quite like the joy of first hearing an Alvin & the Chipmunks cover of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut." "Not Now John"...

variable name to character string
i am writing a plotting function where several matlab variables are read in to the function. i would like to label the output plots by the name of the matlab variable. how can i get a string that contains the name of the matlab variable? i.e., if my funciont looks like plot_traces(foo1,foo2,...) how can i get a character-string that contains the matlab variables read into the function? thanks m thorne wrote: > > > i am writing a plotting function where several matlab variables are > read in to the function. i would like to label the output plots by > the name of the matlab v...

dynamic variable names or using a variable as another's name
Hi- I've done some searching on this topic and it seems to be generally discouraged to use one variable's value as another variable's name (or part of it's name). People generally recommend a hash or array to answer this use case. I've seen these posted as "available but not recommended": eval("#{variable_name} = #[value}") or: self.instance_variable_set(:@var_name, value) or: x="myvar" myvar="hi" eval(x) -> "hi" I'm trying to write a short program and I'm thinking that I'm going in the wrong directio...

How can I insert two macro variables name into one variable name
Hi I have two macro variable, one is &ab the other is &cd. I want to insert these two macro variables into one variable name like: flp&ab&cd. But it seems this method does not work. Could you help me figure out what's the format I should use? Thank you very much Jane Jane , Not sure where your problem is since you didnt provide any code nor log but here is a couple of examples: %Let AB = 123 ; %Let CD = ABC ; %Let FLP&AB&CD = FLP&AB&CD ; %Put FLP&AB&CD = &&&FLP&AB&CD ; Data _Null_ ; FLP&AB&CD = "FLP&AB&...

class ctor argument variable name and class member variable name
I've read some code like below: class Foo { int foo; public : Foo(int foo) :foo(foo) {} }; I try it in VC2008, and it is fine. My question is :in the ctor, the name "foo" here does not cause any ambiguity, why that? Is this a standard way or just a workaround ? -- [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] On Nov 5, 8:06 am, zade <zhaohongc...@gmail.com> wrote: > I've read some code like below: > class Foo > { > in...

Why the name of a file that contains java code should be same as the name of the class that is contained init?
Hello Friends! I am new to java area. Why should we give the name of a file as same as the name of the class that is contained in it? Can you please explain it? Please don't send me the links....i know thousands of links available...but not in a proper way...that's why i am asking for a straight answer......if you don't know please Ignore it Once again i am telling i am new to java platform.... OK Thank you... Bye Hi ...ehm... "corejavagroups". > I am new to java area. Your nick indicates this... > Why should we give the name of a file as same as the name of the c...

how to sort variable by character variable first then numeric variable
Hi, who knows if we can use SAS to sort the variables by character variable first and then numeric variable. Such as: The original order is: StudentID Score Gender Address I want to sort it as StudentID Gender Address Score Any hint? Thanks very much! Check these sites for guidance on using proc sort and using proc sql. Look for the by statement in proc sort and the order by statement in proc sql. Good Luck. AB3BO Don http://www.ats.ucla.edu/STAT/sas/modules/sort.htm http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi27/p191-27.pdf On Apr 26, 12:00 pm, Karen <irain...@gmail.com> wrote: &...

file name contains a macro variable
Is it possible to include a macro variable as part of a file name to be imported or exported? For example, can I replace the file name "199301.txt" using a name that includes the macro variable, tstm? Also, when I define another macro variable, nsks, is it possible to define it to be a result of a function? In the program, nsks = 33 = nrow(studyid). %let tstm = 199301; %let nsks = 33; DATA id_&tstm; INFILE 'C:\199301.txt'; INPUT id; RUN; Thank you very much! Haigang Zhou wrote: > Is it possible to include a macro variable as part of a file name to > be imp...

Web resources about - Variable name contains an illegal character - comp.soft-sys.stat.spss

List of Killzone characters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cpl. Dante Garza is a loyal, optimistic and likable character- an effective team player. A close companion of Sev, the pair have served together ...

The Evolution of a ‘Tina Fey Character’
... book critic Michiko Kakutani suggested that journalist Kim Barker came across in the book The Taliban Shuffle as “sort of a Tina Fey character.” ...

Google trials optical character recognition for Now on Tap
... ins and outs of its Google Now on Tap feature. A number of users have begun noting that the software is now capable of performing optical character ...

‘Better Call Saul’ may soon feature familiar characters from ‘Breaking Bad’
Positioned as a prequel to Breaking Bad , a show with one of the more fervent fan bases you'll ever encounter, the debut of Better Call Saul ...

Netflix's 'Daredevil' season-2 teaser shows off new characters and gear to get fans excited
The second season of "Daredevil" brings new characters and new costumes. Daredevil's new garb was shown at the end of the first season, but ...

Leslie Jones defends her ‘streetwise’ Ghostbuster character after criticism
... – one of the best current cast members of SNL – plays an MTA employee-turned-Ghostbuster, and the trailer seems to emphasize that Jones’ character ...

'Arrow' Season 4 Spoilers: 3 Characters Most Likely To Die By Season Finale
Here are the five characters most likely to die before the "Arrow" season four.

Check out the Dark Souls III intro and character creator
... Destructoid are rolling out footage of the English version of Dark Souls III on PS4 , and today's footage is of the intro cutscene and character ...

EXCLUSIVE: 'Divergent Series: Allegiant' Cast Dishes on the Film's 'Bad Ass' Female Characters
During an exclusive roundtable discussion with ET, the ladies of The Divergent Series: Allegiant explored the strong but 'messy' characters they ...

Will 'The Walking Dead' Actually Sacrifice The Characters The Comics Demand?
If you couldn’t tell from the Walking Dead premiere weeks ago, in which we saw an enemy group nuked with a rocket launcher, a family slaughtered ...