Can't create window of class wxWindowClassNR (error 1406: cannot create a top-level child window.)

Hi,

I=E2=80=99ve tried to create a new wxFrame from another (I need to =
create a sub-window, or dialog of some sort). I inherited the wxFrame =
class into about (that=E2=80=99s the class name), and did an event table =
for it (just the close event).

After compiling, and I request for that dialog through a menu that I =
made, I get this message:

       11:53:35: Can't create window of class wxWindowClassNR (error =
1406: cannot create a top-level child window.)

The calling line is this:
	about* dialog =3D new about(NULL, ID_ABOUT_WINDOW, "About");

I=E2=80=99ve searched all round, but haven=E2=80=99t seemed to have =
found anything. Can anyone help? Or has anyone faced this problem =
before?

Best regards,
Joel Low

Windows XP/wxWidgets 2.5.4/MingW 3.4

joel
6/3/2005 4:03:39 AM
comp.soft-sys.wxwindows 21076 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Joel Low wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I’ve tried to create a new wxFrame from another (I need to create a sub-window, or dialog of some sort). I inherited the wxFrame class into about (that’s the class name), and did an event table for it (just the close event).
>
>After compiling, and I request for that dialog through a menu that I made, I get this message:
>
>       11:53:35: Can't create window of class wxWindowClassNR (error 1406: cannot create a top-level child window.)
>
>The calling line is this:
>	about* dialog = new about(NULL, ID_ABOUT_WINDOW, "About");
>
>I’ve searched all round, but haven’t seemed to have found anything. Can anyone help? Or has anyone faced this problem before?
>
>Best regards,
>Joel Low
>
>Windows XP/wxWidgets 2.5.4/MingW 3.4

I encountered this today, for me it was that the parent wasn't created -
even though NULL should be fine, try it with a pointer to your main frame.

hope this is of some use
jake

jake
6/3/2005 4:15:17 AM
Joel Low schrieb:

>       11:53:35: Can't create window of class wxWindowClassNR (error 1406: cannot create a top-level child window.)

This sounds like you forgot to override the following function:

    virtual bool IsTopLevel() const;

I guess that returning false should help ...

Regards,
Mark

mjscod

RE: Can't create window of class wxWindowClassNR (error 1406: cannot create a top-level child window.)
If I read you correctly, does it mean that we should have=20 about* dialog =3D new about(this, ID_ABOUT_WINDOW, "About"); instead? I tried that and it throws the same error back at me -----Original Message----- From: Jake Skinner [mailto:jake@zarloc.com]=20 Sent: 3 June 2005 12:15 PM To: wx-users@lists.wxwidgets.org Subject: Re: Can't create window of class wxWindowClassNR (error 1406: = cannot create a top-level child window.) Joel Low wrote: >Hi, > >I=E2=80=99ve tried to create a new wxFrame from another (I need to = create a sub-window, or dialog o...

error 1406: cannot create a top-level child window
Hi, I am trying to create a custom control, so, I derived a class from wxPanel However, whenever I am trying to display it, (the 'new' and the construction is OK), in the MyApp calls frame->Show() I get the following error: "Can't create window of class wxWindowClassNR (error 1406: cannot create a top-level child window.)" This is the basic declaration of my class ============ My class ============================== class USTabCtrlBar : public wxPanel { DECLARE_DYNAMIC_CLASS( USTabCtrlBar ) DECLARE_EVENT_TABLE() USTabCtrlBar(void)...

Can't create Matlab exe. Errors creating Windows Standalone Application.
I’m trying to create a Matlab executable. I clicked the following . . . File > New > Deployment Project > Windows Standalone Application I added the MainFile and the Shared resource Helper File; I added the MCRInstaller.exe too. Then I click the ‘Build’ button. I’ve done this MANY times, and no matter what I do, I keep getting this error: Processing C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2012a\toolbox\distcomp\mcc.enc Depfun error: 'The class 'Index' may not define events because only subclasses of handle may define events.' It’s always a different path and always ...

(wxMac) popped up childe window is created but doesn't stay on th e top of parent window via ListCtrl report view @ListCtrl::OnActivation
Hello. I use ListCtrl Report view to display text data. Mouse double clicking on a row triggers ListCtrl::OnActivation(listctrl event) to react, inside the ListCtrl::OnActivation(listctrl event) a child window is created and shown. on Win32/Linux port, a child window is always created and also stays on the top of parent window whenever the chlde window is created/poped up by D-clicking a row on listctrl report view. But on Mac OS X, such child window is initially created but does not stay on the top of parent window, it goes directly behind the parent window after it is created...

RE: (wxMac) popped up childe window is created but doesn't stay o n the top of parent window via ListCtrl report view @ListCtrl::OnActivati on
Hi, Kevin. Thanks on your hints and suggestion for getting around the problem. add mouse event, EVT_RIGHT_DCLICK, handler to intercept D-clicking ( in my case I define handler MyListCtrl::OnMouseEventDClick( wxMouseEvent & event) in which ListCtrl handler, MyListCtrl::OnActivation(wxListEvent & event), is called. By doing so, D-clicking is intercepted at my application rather than at wxWidget Internal, and child window stays on the top of parent window. But side-effect for Doing this is that the application has to keep a record of which item is selected Or focused. ...

Can't create MDI child window
I am a moderately experienced c++ programmer trying to learn the windows API - specifically the MDI at the moment. I am trying to get a program from a tutorial to work. When the following function is executed, the if selection structure is activated and no child window results. This function is called in WinMain after successful creation of the client window ( a handle to which is passed to the function as hMDIClient) and successful registration of the globally defined WNDCLASSEX object g_szChildClassName, which is also used to create the client window. Can anyone tell me...

Can''t create toolbar window
I'm trying to create a common control tool-bar window (by creating a window having the "TOOLBARCLASSNAME" class name), but the "CreateWindow" call fails, and "GetLastError()" returns 1407 (can't find window class). Thinking the problem lay with the common controls library not having beeninitialised properly, I added a call to "InitCommonControlsEx" at the beginning of my programme, passing as an argument a pointer to a "INITCOMMONCONTROLSEX" structure initialised with the expression: > { > sizeof(INITCOMMON...

Can't manage ... it's a top-level window
Hi all, I'm newbie to Tcl/Tk. Just install ActiveTcl8.4.16.0.282109 on my Win2k box. I'm try now the follow code: ========================================= set FR0 [ labelframe .fr0 -text "Test" ]; set lb1 [ label $FR0.name1 -text "Name:" ]; set op_menu1 [ tk_optionMenu $FR0.op1 v_op1 "A" "B" "C" ]; set lb2 [ label $FR0.name2 -text "Name2::" ]; set op_menu2 [ tk_optionMenu $FR0.op2 v_op2 "X" "Y" "Z" ]; grid $lb1 $op_menu1 -row 1 grid $lb2 $op_menu2 -row 2 pack $FR0 ================...

config.sys corrupted; can't fix; can't start windows 2000
The computer attempts to open windows 2000 pro and gets hung up with the message that winn config.sus is corrupted. I tried booting from the win 2000 cd-rom and then creating floppy boot disks. The computer won't recognize or run off of these. Rename the Config.sys file in the root directly to ConfigOLD.sys. See if the machine will boot without it for now. Any release of NT should be able to. If you work out for sure that the Config.sys file is faulty, you can go in with your text editor, and troubleshoot it. You will need the base knowledge to work in this file. Jerry G. ======== ...

I can't create database in Windows...
My problem is such as in topic what is more I can't start any service....when I'm tring I get the massage that "cant run service since Name server is not running " but I can't find the way to run it...when I am trying nothing happens and in output log I get the massage that "Ingres is already running. Use ingstop to shut down Ingres." but I can't shut Ingres since this services are not running... I am using Windows XP home maybe this is a problem?:) "deemer" <deemer.d@gmail.com> wrote in message news:744b5abd.0503021550.4a5991a1@posting.google.com... > My problem is such as in topic what is more I can't start any > service....when I'm tring I get the massage that "cant run service > since Name server is not running " but I can't find the way to run > it...when I am trying nothing happens and in output log I get the > massage that "Ingres is already running. Use ingstop to shut down > Ingres." but I can't shut Ingres since this services are not > running... > > I am using Windows XP home maybe this is a problem?:) Try stopping Ingres "manually" by running ingstop in a command window. Use the task manager to make sure you have no instances of: iigcn, dmfrcp, dmfacp, iidbms (nor probably anything else starting with ii), then try starting Ingres as a service again. Incidentally, you can start the Ingres name server (assuming...

can't read windows-created CD properly
I've got what must be a standard new-linux person question: why can't I read a data CD-R created on a Windows machine with Roxio Drag-to-Disc on my Linux machine? I am running Fedora Core 2. I have read a few entries on this group about making sure the CDROM (or in my case CD-RW) is mounted. It appears to be mounted. At least when I try to "mount /dev/cdrom" I am told that the device is already mounted. Also, I can see the file from the command line with "ls", but it appears as a broken link (flashing red box around file name). The file is not visible from the Konq...

[windows, visual studio] can't create wxBitmap from resource
I've embedded some bitmaps in my project with visual studio. To load them I do: wxBitmap b = wxBitmap(wxT("IDB_BITMAP1"), wxBITMAP_TYPE_BMP_RESOURCE); but at runtime I get an error saying "Can't load bitmap 'IDB_BITMAP1' from resources! Check .rc file." The same happens if I substitute IDB_BITMAP1 with the relative value (as defined in the automatically created file resource.h), or even with the file name. I verified that the compiler does the embedding, in fact the binary size is incremented by exactly the bmps' size. What am I doing wr...

RE: [Info-ingres] I can't create database in Windows...
Ingres doesnt run on xp home, windows ME or 98. You can have ingres net, openroad, etc but not the database. Paul -----Original Message----- From: deemer.d@gmail.com [mailto:deemer.d@gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, 3 March 2005 10:50 AM To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: [Info-ingres] I can't create database in Windows... My problem is such as in topic what is more I can't start any service....when I'm tring I get the massage that "cant run service since Name server is not running " but I can't find the way to run it...when I am trying nothing happens and in output log I get the massage that "Ingres is already running. Use ingstop to shut down Ingres." but I can't shut Ingres since this services are not running... I am using Windows XP home maybe this is a problem?:) _______________________________________________ Info-ingres mailing list Info-ingres@cariboulake.com http://mailman.cariboulake.com/mailman/listinfo.py/info-ingres "Paul White" <pwhite@peerlessit.com.au> wrote in message news:mailman.1109808482.14501.info-ingres@cariboulake.com... > Ingres doesnt run on xp home, windows ME or 98. > You can have ingres net, openroad, etc but not the database. Really? I had no idea it wouldn't run on XP Home. Someone must have gone to some trouble to lobotimize XP... Roy "Roy Hann" <specially@processed.almost.meat> wrote in message news:gbWdnchK9...

Can a Processes' Window be the Child of Another Processes' Window?
Hi Again Folks: I'm trying to figure a method to constrain child processes' windows within a window of a parent process. I had some luck making the child processes top level windows children of a window in the parent process, but I want the child process icons in the task bar, and this put them at the bottom of the parent processes' widow. Now I'm thinking about making the child processes' top level windows invisible, which I believe will put their icons in the task bar, and doing the real work of the child process with calls to DialogBoxParam() ...

RE: [Info-ingres] I can't create database in Windows... #2
Hi Mike, Is that using the embedded ingres product? Paul -----Original Message----- From: Michael Kiely [mailto:mkiely@telus.net] Sent: Thursday, 3 March 2005 1:21 PM To: 'Paul White'; deemer.d@gmail.com; info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: RE: [Info-ingres] I can't create database in Windows... However, you CAN run the Ingres SDK database in XP Home. Mike -----Original Message----- From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of Paul White Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 4:05 PM To: 'deemer.d@gmail.com'; info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: RE: [Info-ingres] I can't create database in Windows... Ingres doesnt run on xp home, windows ME or 98. You can have ingres net, openroad, etc but not the database. Paul -----Original Message----- From: deemer.d@gmail.com [mailto:deemer.d@gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, 3 March 2005 10:50 AM To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: [Info-ingres] I can't create database in Windows... My problem is such as in topic what is more I can't start any service....when I'm tring I get the massage that "cant run service since Name server is not running " but I can't find the way to run it...when I am trying nothing happens and in output log I get the massage that "Ingres is already running. Use ingstop to shut down Ingres." but I can't shut Ingres since this services are not running... ...

I've just re-read the 2.6/0305 release notes: "Advantage Ingres for Windows is supported on Microsoft Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional, and Windows Server 2003." I'll get back into my cage now. -----Original Message----- From: Michael Kiely [mailto:mkiely@telus.net] Sent: Friday, 4 March 2005 2:13 AM To: 'Paul White' Subject: RE: [Info-ingres] I can't create database in Windows... Not sure what you mean by 'embedded' - it's using the Ingres SDK/OR SDK CD from CA. Version.rel says it's 2.6/0305 and it certainly seems full-featured. I've got a complete environment for developing AppServer applications all nicely self-contained on my home box. I still have Ingres/Net to connect to our "real" server with our old ABF and 2-tier OR apps. Mike -----Original Message----- From: Michael Leo [mailto:mleo@cariboulake.com] Sent: Friday, 4 March 2005 4:27 AM To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: Re: [Info-ingres] I can't create database in Windows... At 8:32 AM +0000 3/3/05, Paul Andrews wrote: >"Roy Hann" <specially@processed.almost.meat> wrote in message >news:gbWdnchK9u7aX7vfRVnyiQ@pipex.net... >> "Paul White" <pwhite@peerlessit.com.au> wrote in message >> news:mailman.1109808482.14501.info-ingres@cariboulake.com... >> > Ingres doesnt run on xp home, windows ME or ...

RE: (wxMac) popped up childe window is created but doesn't stay
Hi, Kevin. After adding event.Skip() at the end of DCLICK handler, MyListCtrl::OnActivation(...) Pick the mouse event, as the results, child window goes behind parent window, the default Mouse event "Dclick" put parent window back to being focused. It seems that Dclick also trigger single clicking handler prior to Dclick handler, in MyListCtrl class, I already add a INT field 'm_iSelectedItemIndex' for bookkeeping item selected (single selection only). So just create a dummy ListCtrlEvent object and then call MyListCtrl::OnActivation(...), where 'm_iSel...

Windows can't create folders/files with long file names
Hello! Sometimes I've got the problem, that my Windows XP Pro can't create folders/files with long file names on some shares. However, it's always possible to read existing folders/files with long file names. After restarting Windows and reconnecting the share, the problem normally goes away. At a given point in time, the problem doesn't exist for all users (IOW: some users can create long file names, some can't). Right now, the problem appears most often on a HP-UX 11.00 server with 2.2.5 but sometimes it also appears on a Mandrake 9.1 2.2.7a server. Why is ...

Error '429' ActiveX component can't create object.
Why do I get this error when I run my compiled code on another computer, but never on my own computer where I have VB6 installed.? The project in question is an ActiveX control that I am running inside a web browser. As I said, it works fine for me, but nowhere else. Why? Owen You are using components in your project that do not exist on the other machine, but do exist on yours. You need to copy these *.ocx files over to the new machine and register them before it can run on that machine. Mauro "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message news:2yizc.1142$0l3.888@newsf...

'exec' creates popup windows I don't want to see
Wise ones, I'm running php under apache (I'm using the uniserv distribution) on Windows XP. Every time I execute an external command using backticks or exec or system, I get a cmd windows that pops up for the 1/4 second the command executes. This would all be fine, except that I'm deploying the server to run locally on the user's box, and needless to say, the popups are annoying. I've search everything I'm clever enough to understand and can't find a way to get the external commands to run in the 'background'. All of the input and output of the commands ha...

ActiveX Component can't create object Windows 7 64 bit
I have a client who has installed my Access 2002 application using Wise with SageKey script installation disk onto a Windows 7 64 bit PC. When she tries to open Outlook 2010 (32 bit) from within Access, an Error 429 - 'ActiveX Component can't create object' is generated. The error is triggered from the following code: Set objOutlook = GetObject(, "Outlook.Application") or Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") The same code works fine on other workstations at the same site using the same install disc and Windows XP 32 bit. I use late b...

Couldn't create Win32::ChangeNotify object on Windows Server, but can on XP
Hi all, here is a strange one, why would the below CPAN module work great on Windows XP, but when I run the same code on windows server 2003 (same version of perl activestate 5.8.8), I get the error: "Couldn't create Win32::ChangeNotify object" here is the module: http://search.cpan.org/~bingos/POE-Component-Win32-ChangeNotify-1.18/lib/POE/Component/Win32/ChangeNotify.pm Code snippet: use strict; use POE; use POE::Component::Win32::ChangeNotify; my $poco = POE::Component::Win32::ChangeNotify->spawn( alias => 'blah' ); POE::Session->create( ...

SATA :windows 2000/xp 'can't find harddrive' error
I recently purchased the K8VSE DELUXE motherboard with a SATA Hard Disk (western digital 160 GIG). However I cannot get either Windows 2000 or Windows XP to see the Hard Disk during install. Here is what I have done so far: 1. Used the Disk Utilities that came with the Hard Disk. 2. Downloaded the "378ata_100104528" file from your website, and ran the "make disk" and during "Windows Setup" pressed F6 to specify a "Mass Controller Driver". However, neither of this attempts were successful. P.S. I am not using the SATA RAID so I have it disabled in the BIO...

create window using utility window class
Hi I can create utility window using kUtilityWindowClass using carbon API. How can I do same thing using Cocoa ? I searched a lot in cocoa, but can't find a such way p2 I believe what you want is a NSPanel, which is a subclass of NSWindow. p2 <pradip.patel@einfochips.com> wrote: > I can create utility window using kUtilityWindowClass using carbon > API. > > How can I do same thing using Cocoa ? I searched a lot in cocoa, but > can't find a such way On 2009-04-01 23:07:05 -0700, p2 <pradip.patel@einfochips.com> said: > I can create utility window using kUtilityWindowClass using carbon > API. > > How can I do same thing using Cocoa ? I searched a lot in cocoa, but > can't find a such way Create an NSPanel and set it to Utility style in Interface Builder. If you're creating it in code, don't. But if you insist on doing so, include NSUtilityWindowMask in your style mask. -- Chris ...

Web resources about - Can't create window of class wxWindowClassNR (error 1406: cannot create a top-level child window.) - comp.soft-sys.wxwindows