How does wxWindows handle right-to-left languages?

I was wondering how wxWindows handles right-to-left languages such as
hebrew, arabic and chinese / japanese. I know wxWindows handles Unicode
pretty well but how do right-to-left languages effect (for example) sizers.
Are dialogs that I create with sizers flipped or mirrored? Would this be a
nice feature if it isn't in there yet?

0
Dr
11/14/2003 1:21:17 PM
comp.soft-sys.wxwindows 21076 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Dr. O wrote:

> I was wondering how wxWindows handles right-to-left languages such as
> hebrew, arabic

It should be possible to display hebrew and arabic/farsi text correctly
when using standard controls (including wxTextCtrl). There is currently
no API for writing such a control yourself in wxWindows. In particular,
wxDC:DrawText() doesn't handle RTL and there is no method like
wxDC::DrawParagraph() that should do such a job.

>  and chinese

Chinese is not written right-to-left.

   Robert

robert
11/14/2003 1:45:03 PM
--Boundary-02=_1OPt/uZxeWZk9VW

Hi,

Dr. O wrote:
> I was wondering how wxWindows handles right-to-left languages such
> as hebrew, arabic and chinese / japanese.=20

Very poorly, I'm afraid.

> I know wxWindows handles
> Unicode pretty well but how do right-to-left languages effect (for
> example) sizers. Are dialogs that I create with sizers flipped or
> mirrored? Would this be a nice feature if it isn't in there yet?

It would definitely be nice to have support for RTL languages (in fact=20
I think it is quite important...). Part of the work is done by the=20
underlying toolkit (some of them, e.g. GTK+ 2.x), part must be done=20
by us (wxSizers, generic controls).

Regards,
Vaclav

=2D-=20
PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=3Dget&search=3D0x465264C9

--Boundary-02=_1OPt/uZxeWZk9VW

--Boundary-02=_1OPt/uZxeWZk9VW--

0
vaclav

wxwindow inside wxwindow
Hi, I need to bind a wxwindow inside another wxwindow, I'm sure it's possible to do that, but how? I've tried with wxBoxSizer, but the second window doesn't appear binded to the first. Thank's for any help. Regards. -- Riccardo Corona --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwidgets.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwidgets.org Hmmm, okay I'll try to make my problem a little more concrete. Problem: My program calculations (which are called by ...

wxWindow::Update or wxWindow::Refresh?
Documentation says: wxWindow::Update .... Use Refresh first if you want to immediately redraw the window unconditionally. wxWindow::Refresh .... if you need to update the window immediately you should use Update instead. I have a loop that reads in a file line at a time and does some processing with each line. After each line I would like to return to the event loop so the rest of the application can run and just have a progress indicator somewhere letting the user know how long until the file is done being processed. I am assuming this isn't the proper way to process a...

RE: wxwindow inside wxwindow
Hi, Can't you use a wxTimer? Gerald --- Gerald Brandt MicroPilot Inc. (204) 344-5558 ext 231 gbr@micropilot.com > -----Original Message----- > From: wolfendun [mailto:wolfendun1234-wx@yahoo.com]=20 > Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 3:52 PM > To: wx-users@lists.wxwidgets.org > Subject: Re: wxwindow inside wxwindow >=20 >=20 > Hmmm, okay I'll try to make my problem a little more concrete. >=20 > Problem: My program calculations (which are called by the=20 > OnIdle() function) stop working sometimes (not all the time) when I=20 ...

wxWindow over wxWindow invisible on Mac
(wxwidgets 2.6.3 & 2.8.0 pc/mac ) Hi, on mac platform when i create a wxGLCanvas on a wxWindow, the child wxGLCanvas is placed under the parent wxWindow (invisible ). On msw no problem: child wxGLCanvas is placed over the parent wxWindow (visible ) I've seen the same problem in an older post (2005, without replies ) regarding wxWindow over wxWindow on mac. Is this an old unresolved wxwidgets bug ? Can I set the window hierarchy ? I tried Raise() without no effects. wxWindow is placed on a wxFrame. Thanks, Enrico Bedendo I solved the problem, it's a wxwidgets bug related to paint event. When i manually resize the frame, wxGLCanvas windows appears. Calling Refresh() or others functions to trying to generate a painting event fails. I solved with a dirty trick: theFrame->SetSize(theFrame->GetSize() ); Bye Enrico Bedendo Enrico B. ha scritto: > (wxwidgets 2.6.3 & 2.8.0 pc/mac ) > > Hi, > > on mac platform when i create a wxGLCanvas on a wxWindow, the child > wxGLCanvas is placed under the parent wxWindow (invisible ). > On msw no problem: child wxGLCanvas is placed over the parent wxWindow > (visible ) > I've seen the same problem in an older post (2005, without replies ) > regarding wxWindow over wxWindow on mac. > Is this an old unresolved wxwidgets bug ? Can I set the window hierarchy > ? I tried Raise() without no effects. wxWindow is placed on a wxFrame. &...

Importing Right to left language language from Excel to sas
Hello, I want to import a foreign text (Hebrew) from excel into a data set. The text looks very well in Excel but when imported in SAS, some characters as dots, parenthesis behave strangely Here are some examples : ..XXXXXXXX in Excel becomes XXXXXXX. in SAS XXXXXXX(1 in Excel becomes 1)XXXXXXXXX in SAS Is there some "dramatic" way to force the text to appear as is in SAS without inversing the special characters Your help will be very appreciated Avi you have a NLS problem I think. NLS is national Language Support and for you, I suggest you to read all around the BIDI ...

what does SHIFT-left-or-right of up-down-left-right do?
Well, I know about shift up-and-down: shift-right ("red" or whatever) up and down on choose-box, HIST, things like that, take the cursor all the way to the beginning or the end. shift-left ("white") on up and down scroll the screen-full up or down (the FIRST such click *stupidly* goes to the final CURRENTLY-ON-SCREEN choice or whatever (meaning TWO double-button-pushes to scroll-down that FIRST time.) What are some of the OTHER possibilities, ie with the left and right arrows? Oh, apparantely undocumented, I've found (via mistaken key-pushes) that RIGHT-arrow will do a SWAP (on stack), and that an UP-arrow gets you into HIST (that HIST is *one nice feature*!) Other tricks with those arrows? Thanks! David David Combs wrote: > Well, I know about shift up-and-down: > > shift-right ("red" or whatever) up and down on > choose-box, HIST, things like that, take the > cursor all the way to the beginning or the end. > > shift-left ("white") on up and down scroll the > screen-full up or down (the FIRST such click > *stupidly* goes to the final CURRENTLY-ON-SCREEN > choice or whatever (meaning TWO double-button-pushes > to scroll-down that FIRST time.) > > > What are some of the OTHER possibilities, ie with the > left and right arrows? > > > Oh, apparantely undocumented,...

Using wxWindow::PushEventHandler and wxWindow::PopEventHandler
I would like to know something about pushing and poping events handlers. Look this exemple: 1 - I push a first event handler object (hnd1) with PushEventHandler from a first window (window1) 2 - Then into another window (window2) I push another evt handler (hnd2). 3 - Then into window1 I try to remove pushed event handler (hnd1) from the stack, so I call PopEventHandler ... Here is the problem : when I call PopEventHandler at step 3, do I pop hnd1 or hnd2 ? If I pop hnd1 I suppose there is a local event handler stack for each windows, but if it's hnd2, I suppose that there ...

Re: Importing Right to left language language from Excel to sas
you have a NLS problem I think. NLS is national Language Support and for you, I suggest you to read all around the BIDI format. could you read the docs about NLS and Hebrew on the support SAS site, for example : http://support.sas.com/techsup/unotes/le/005/005323.html St�phane. Selon Avi <aviben@BEZEQINT.NET.IL>: > Hello, > > I want to import a foreign text (Hebrew) from excel into a data set. > > The text looks very well in Excel but when imported in SAS, some characters > as dots, parenthesis behave strangely > > Here are some examples : > > .XXXXXXX...

Right-to-left languages?
Hi all, Can anyone please report the status of rendering of right-to-left languages in tk? I develop an LGPL NLP-related application (http://www.ellogon.org) and recently I got a question about supporting the Hebrew language. I need information on how the text widget can render these kind of languages and possible tkhtml. I feel a little akward for asking such a question :-) but I have no experence with right-to-left languages... Regards, George Hi Georgios, "Georgios Petasis" <petasis@iit.demokritos.gr> writes: > Can anyone please report the status of rendering of ...

Codepage handling in wxWindows
How and where is the codepage handling done in wxWindows. wxSTC needs to determine if a codepage is for single or double byte etc. and I guess wxWindows needs this information as well. Could anyone point me at the right location or knows how the following procedures can be implemented? bool Platform::IsDBCSLeadByte(int codePage, char ch) { return ::IsDBCSLeadByteEx(codePage, ch) != 0; } int Platform::DBCSCharLength(int codePage, const char *s) { return (::IsDBCSLeadByteEx(codePage, s[0]) != 0) ? 2 : 1; } O. Wyss -- See "http://wxguide.sourceforge.net/...

LEFT + LEFT vs LEFT + RIGHT
In order to do a full outer join in MySQL one must use a union. Is there any good reason to do SELECT ... LEFT JOIN UNION SELECT ... RIGHT JOIN rather than SELECT ... LEFT JOIN UNION SELECT ... LEFT JOIN with the tables swapped on the latter LEFT JOIN? Paul Lautman wrote: > In order to do a full outer join in MySQL one must use a union. > Is there any good reason to do > > SELECT ... > LEFT JOIN > > UNION > > SELECT ... > RIGHT JOIN > > rather than > > SELECT ... > LEFT JOIN > > UNION > > SELECT ... > LEFT JOIN > ...

does PHP read left to right or right to left?
I've two functions. currentHeadline looks in $_GET for a variable called 'image' and prints what it finds. showThumbnail takes an image for a parameter and resizes it before sending it to the screen. But when I do this: <?php showThumbnail(currentImage(), 20, 20); ?> showThumbnail is telling me that it is not being given a file name, and currentImage is printing the file name to the screen. How is that possible? What is the right way to do this? lawrence k wrote: > I've two functions. currentHeadline looks in $_GET for a variable > called 'image' and pr...

Using wxWindows DLLs from non wxWindows app
Hi, I want to use my custom wxWindows DLL from non wxWindows application (for example, raw WIN32 app). What should I do in my DLL (some Initialisation and so on)? If is it possible, sample code. I will be very much appreciated. ----------------- Sincerely, Andrey tan@sbor.spb.su --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwidgets.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwidgets.org ...

wxwindows
Hello I would like to install wxwindows, and I do not manage to find the wx/wx.h, however it is defined in environment Sepehr wrote: > > Hello > > I would like to install wxwindows, and I do not manage to find the > wx/wx.h, however it is defined in environment Posting to a fortran group will probably not be very helpful. FWIW: wxwindows is a C++ gui framework, and there is a newsgroup dealing with it ( comp.soft-sys.wxwindows ) Also, you might try adding include paths explicitly while compiling, ie. something like this: g++ -Ic:/wx2/include -Ic:/wx2/lib/msw -c myfile....

Right-to-Left Languages
I often receive emails containing Hebrew, but they show up as gibberish in Pegasus. Does anyone have any ideas of how to view R-T-L characters in Pegasus? I am using 4.21c with XP "Steve_613" <steve_613@hotmail.com> wrote in news:dlui79$cv0$1@news2.netvision.net.il: > I often receive emails containing Hebrew, but they show up as > gibberish in Pegasus. Does anyone have any ideas of how to view R-T-L > characters in Pegasus? I am using 4.21c with XP Try downloading and isntalling the v4.30 public beta. It has greatly expanded support for inte...

Re: [wxwindows] C/C++ Compiler for wxWindows
Compilers we use to build wxwin and products based on it. Gcc/mingw Compilation is slow, should improve in 3.4 with precompiled headers. No IDE, use edit / make / gdb There is now an IDE for mingw - see post on this list. DDD is a nice debugger for gdb should work on window but haven't tried it. Borland bcc5.5, free command line version of Borland compiler. No IDE, crude debugger Fast compile Intel ICC, free download for Linux, Licence on windows seems to change, (was free now limited time demo) Very fast for some code. No IDE but can be used with MSVC6, not sure if it...

Using wxWindows DLLs from non wxWindows app #2
Hi, I want to use my custom wxWindows DLL from non wxWindows application (for example, raw WIN32 app). What should I do in my DLL (some Initialisation and so on)? If is it possible, sample code. I will be very much appreciated. ----------------- Sincerely, Andrey tan@sbor.spb.su --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwidgets.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwidgets.org Am 14.01.2005 um 20:23 schrieb Andrey Turkin: > Hi, > > I want to use my cus...

How do you: Object Linking in WxWindows for WxWindow 2.4.1
I'm using WxWindows version 2.4.1 and Fast Light Toolkit(FLTK)version 1.2 (I think that is the current stable version). I've seen that it is easy to create text controls that you can copy and paste text to. What about graphics? How do you paste graphics from the Windows clipboard? There are two things I want to do: Type 1: I want to... 1. Draw something in Paint Brush or some other graphics editor. 2. Copy it to the Windows clip board 3. In my program: I want a window similar the text control, that you can paste graphics to. Or... Type 2: I wa...

wxWindows.org: wxWindows Project Changes Name to wxWidgets
More crap from micro$oft: "In September 2003, Microsoft approached Julian Smart to open discussions about the wxWindows name, in relation to the 'Windows' UK trademark owned by Microsoft..." -- Rick On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:32:55 GMT, Rick <rick@none.com> wrote: >More crap from micro$oft: > >"In September 2003, Microsoft approached Julian Smart to open discussions >about the wxWindows name, in relation to the 'Windows' UK trademark owned >by Microsoft..." > Did Julian promptly close discussions with a finger? On Tue, 24 Feb 2004...

Changing x-axis plot from right to left to left to right
Hi, For mathematical reasons, I need to change the way that gnuplots my data along the X axis from right to left to left to right (that is, at the minute it plots from 20 down to 1, not from 1 to 20) I am aware of set xrange reverse but this just inverts the whole graph and displays from 17 .... 1 down along the x-axis rather than plotting the other way round. I'm rather stuck and would appreciate some advice. Regards Jamie On 14.08.2012 17:52, Jamie Rees wrote: > For mathematical reasons, I need to change the way that gnuplots my > data along the X axis from right to left to left to right (that is, > at the minute it plots from 20 down to 1, not from 1 to 20) That makes no sense whatsoever. gnuplot generates some kind of picture. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever whether a line was drawn from left to right or right to left --- it'll be the same line in the end, consisisting of exactly the same pixels being coloured. So since this doesn't make sense, maybe you should tell us what your actual problem is, so we can find out how that might be solved. On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:12:33 PM UTC+1, Hans-Bernhard Br=F6ker wrote: > On 14.08.2012 17:52, Jamie Rees wrote: >=20 >=20 >=20 > > For mathematical reasons, I need to change the way that gnuplots my >=20 > > data along the X axis from right to left to left to right (that is, >=20 > > at the minute it plots from...

how does one do exception handling in wxwindows
I don't see any try catches in the code anywhere. The debugger in vc6 sais this line has an unhandled exeption and the pointer is not null. Is there a smart way to debug this? wxClassInfo *thisInfo = GetClassInfo(); ...

Right to left language support
Most of you probably speaks Latin language, so you wont understand the problem. when I try to write Hebrew in my statictext the last punctuation marks get mixed up. does someone have a solution for this? this is the code : text=wx.StaticText(panel3, -1, Hebrew_string, style=wx.ALIGN_RIGHT) thanks! ...

Skybuck presents ShiftLeft( Left, Right, Shift ) and ShiftRight( Right, Left, Shift )
Hello, I think these two functions will come in very handy to solving the "write longword bits" problem. ShiftLeft( Left, Right, Shift ) ShiftRight( Right, Left, Shift ) Shifting with extra inputs is what is required to solve it nicely. // Begin of Code *** program Project1; {$APPTYPE CONSOLE} { Skybuck presents ShiftLeft( Left, Right, Shift ) and ShiftRight( Right, Left, Shift ) version 0.01 created on 5 may 2008 by Skybuck Flying. Be carefull though, the shift parameter must be 0 to 31. } uses SysUtils; // make overloaded versions for easy coding // display in big e...

Text widget with mixed left-to-right and right-to-left Unicode text abilities?
Hi, is there one of these? If not I might have a go at writing a simple one of them.... Apologies if this is a FAQ, I did search the archive a bit before posting. Best, Charles. ...

Web resources about - How does wxWindows handle right-to-left languages? - comp.soft-sys.wxwindows

Right-to-left - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Right-to-left can also refer to top-to-bottom, right-to-left scripts such as Chinese , Japanese , and Korean , though they are also commonly ...

Hebrew Posts Now Right-To-Left On Facebook?
... for its users who speak Hebrew , following up its introduction of language-specific names with the display of posts in Hebrew from right-to-left, ...

Facebook Now Available in Arabic and Hebrew, Reading Right to Left
... 60 more in the process of user translation, today officially launched in Arabic and Hebrew – two languages in which writing begins on the right ...

Daley must turn left to right for Blues
Laurie Daley has an abundance of left-side wingers at his disposal for State of Origin I, but he needs to turn one into a right-side player. ...

Man survives motorcycle accident but his heart shifts from left to right
A MAN survived a motorcycle accident but he left doctors shocked when they went to check his heart only to find it was no longer on the left ...

Left to right:... - - chicagotribune.com
Left to right: Michael Murray, Josh Kruge and Stephanie Cohn use their feet to mix mortar for the rocket stove.

Where we can move the needle right to left in 2014
... my money to somebody who'll just be another Blue Dog..." It's a pretty common refrain around these parts, and it's particularly important right ...

Super Mario Runs Left to Right Because Our Brains Say So
Does this gif hurt your brain? You're not alone. Read more...

Mac malware uses right to left character exploit
... and read each character moving left. The text displays like this because it is prefixed by a special Right-to-Left override Unicode character. ...

Tip of the Day: Taking Right-to-Left Panoramic Photos
If you have an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 you can take advantage of a new iOS 6 feature that allows you to capture panoramic photos without the need ...