Re: Dependency problems migrating from 2.4.2 to [wx 2.6.1, WinXP, VC 7.1] #2

Hi Ben,

> If it were unreasonable for a cross-platform app to use libjpeg (as you seem
> to be implying) then a huge majority of cross-platform open-source apps out
> there are "unreasonable."

Is there, in fact, a shared jpeg library guaranteed to be available on
all versions of Windows?

> This is really bizarre to encounter this on the wx mailing list.  Since when
> does Microsoft have any say at all in how developers create cross-platform
> apps?  If they did, we wouldn't be using wxWidgets.

If you develop wxWidgets applications for Microsoft Windows, then
Microsoft has a lot of say in it, because the applications have to run
on Windows.

> Actually, i can't think of _anyone_ for whom building every single part of
> the library is "optimal."

Just because it is built does not mean that it has to be linked with
your application, that's up to you. I don't include libtiff because I
have no need for it, but it doesn't really bother me that it got built.

Thanks,

Kevin

hockkn
8/2/2005 2:12:11 AM
comp.soft-sys.wxwindows 21076 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hi Kevin,

> -----

There are, in fact, no libraries gauranteed to be available on all versions
of any OS.  That's why projects list their dependencies and give
instructions on how to locate them.

> Just because it is built does not mean that it has to be
> linked with your application, that's up to you. I don't
> include libtiff because I have no need for it, but it doesn't
> really bother me that it got built.

If it doesn't bother you, then perhaps:
(A) You don't understand how it works.  The default of wxUSE_LIBTIFF=1 in
setup.h means that not only is wxtiff*.lib being compiled, but _your
application is including the libtiff binary functionality, even if you never
load a TIFF file_.
(B) Your application doesn't already link to libtiff.  If it did, you would
dislike having to have a second, unused copy of libtiff linked into your
application.

-Ben

ben
8/4/2005 7:03:12 PM
On 8/4/05, Ben Discoe <ben@vterrain.org> wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>=20
> > -----

This is not true. Part of what an OS is (barring technical hair
splitting over what exactly an OS is, and what part is a kernel and
what isn't, blah blah) is an operating environment for applications,
including libraries. Part of what defines a given version of an OS is
the version of it's libraries. Yes, this means "Redhat Linux 8" is an
OS, and "Linux" is not.

There are absolutely certain libraries that can be relied up in a
given version of Windows, a jpeg manipulation library is not one of
them.

>=20
> > Just because it is built does not mean that it has to be
> > linked with your application, that's up to you. I don't
> > include libtiff because I have no need for it, but it doesn't
> > really bother me that it got built.
>=20
> If it doesn't bother you, then perhaps:
> (A) You don't understand how it works.  The default of wxUSE_LIBTIFF=3D1 =
in
> setup.h means that not only is wxtiff*.lib being compiled, but _your
> application is including the libtiff binary functionality, even if you ne=
ver
> load a TIFF file_.
> (B) Your application doesn't already link to libtiff.  If it did, you wou=
ld
> dislike having to have a second, unused copy of libtiff linked into your
> application.

wxUSE_LIBTIFF=3D1 requires libtiff for reasons which should be obvious.
wxUSE_LIBTIFF=3D0 does *not*, even if the over-sensitive linker requires
it to be present at compile time.

(B) is not true.

>=20
> -Ben