Re: Looking for a Text Editor widget w/ Word Proc like features

This has actually come up before unfortunately.  :)  I was hoping to
use something along the same lines for my program wxBlogger
(http://homepage.mac.com/codonnell/wxblogger/), and I know TerraIM
(http://terraim.sourceforge.net/) was looking for a control of this
type at one time.  Other people have suggested wxMozzilla, but it
added a significant amount of size to the application, and non trivial
amount of work.  You could probably wrap the wxTextCtrl and catch when
the user makes changes to the style of the text (though handling
pasted-text would be problematic), you keep a matching HTML
representation in memory.  Seemed tougher/time consuming than I could
deal with at the time, but if you wanted to invest some time, I'm sure
others would be pleased too.

Good luck though...
Casey

--
Casey O'Donnell
RPI STS Department - Graduate Student

http://homepage.mac.com/codonnell/
http://homepage.mac.com/codonnell/wxblogger/

caseyodonnell
7/7/2004 1:11:12 PM
comp.soft-sys.wxwindows 21076 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:10:52 -0400, you wrote:

>This has actually come up before unfortunately.  :)  I was hoping to
>use something along the same lines for my program wxBlogger
>(http://homepage.mac.com/codonnell/wxblogger/), and I know TerraIM
>(http://terraim.sourceforge.net/) was looking for a control of this
>type at one time.  Other people have suggested wxMozzilla, but it
>added a significant amount of size to the application, and non trivial
>amount of work.  You could probably wrap the wxTextCtrl and catch when
>the user makes changes to the style of the text (though handling
>pasted-text would be problematic), you keep a matching HTML
>representation in memory.  Seemed tougher/time consuming than I could
>deal with at the time, but if you wanted to invest some time, I'm sure
>others would be pleased too.

Ya..  I decided to roll my own...   I was tempted to use Scintilla,
since you can set the attributes for each keyword, I figured I could
set them, then hide the keywords..  That actually works, but
Scintilla's "hide" feature, isn't perfect.  It hides, but they don't
really completely vanish.. (they don't delete, and if you type the
keyword, your key presses vanish).. =20

I am going to finish the rest of the application, and the wysiwyg html
editor control will probably be that last thing I write...

If anyone is interested in a joint venture, let me know, I don't
intend to take more than a few weeks on it, and I hope to be starting
it in the next couple of weeks..  It will be HTML based, and it will
be SIMPLE..  probably just varied fonts, bolding, etc..  And it should
display pictures, and POSSIBLE simple tables..

I will probably use wxWidgets, and write to the screen using the DC,
if that is efficient enough, more tests are needed..  I will use a
buffer gap method for the storage of the actual text, and probably
page it so that the storage can be large without a performance hit..
The only thing I haven't worked out (in my head that is) is how I will
keep the graphical display characters in synch with the ascii storage
of the characters..  Since characters will be of varied sizes/fonts
when displayed graphically, they will be hard to track once they are
printed to the screen/DC..

Randall Fox

fox_no_spam