wxSTC: New text selection not possible within selected text

A rather annoying effect, when I want to start a new text selection
within an already selected text nothing happens. I first have to
deselect the text (by clicking outside of the selected text) and then
can set a new overlapping selection. SciTe doesn't have this problem so
it must be either in wxSTC or wxWindows.

O. Wyss

--
See "http://wxguide.sourceforge.net/" for ideas how to design your app.
0

otto.wyss@bluewin.ch:
> A rather annoying effect, when I want to start a new text selection
> within an already selected text nothing happens. I first have to
> deselect the text (by clicking outside of the selected text) and then
> can set a new overlapping selection. SciTe doesn't have this problem so
> it must be either in wxSTC or wxWindows.

Are you sure ? I checked latest SciTe under WIN32 and you can't start new
selection within previous selection - it starts drag&drop mode instead =
(thought
there can be a switch for this I don't know). And moreover it is =
'standard'
behavior under WIN32 - MS Word, MS Notepad and most of text editors works=
 this
way here.

ABX

abx
7/8/2003 6:06:05 AM
ABX <abx@abx.art.pl> wrote:

> > A rather annoying effect, when I want to start a new text selection
> > within an already selected text nothing happens. I first have to
>
> Are you sure ? I checked latest SciTe under WIN32 and you can't start new
> selection within previous selection - it starts drag&drop mode instead
> (thoughtthere can be a switch for this I don't know). And moreover it is
> 'standard'behavior under WIN32 - MS Word, MS Notepad and most of text
> editors works this way here.

I just checked notepad (WindowsNT) = okay, SciTe (1.53) = partial (it
releases the selection but only after mouse is released), my editor with
wxSTC = not okay. Whatever I do within the selected text (click hold,
short click, double click) nothing happens.

On Windows MSWord probably sets the standard short click = extend
selection to sentence, click hold = click drag = enter drag mode, double
click = deselect and select again.

For a task where wxSTC makes sence the standard behaviour for clicking
inside selected text should be like:

- short click = deselect text and set the cursor at click position (same
as unselected text).
- click hold = enter drag mode if possible, else ditto short click and
start a new selection
- double click = extend selection to word, if already word to line, etc.

BBedit on the Mac does this.

O. Wyss