A file utility to copy a CERTAIN PART of a file ?

In Win XP, does anybody know of a utility program that will copy only a
Designated Part of a file?

There are already programs, like the iHex hex editor, that will reduce
the size of a file, but it truncates the file from the END of the file.

I need a program that truncates a file at some other designated spot.
Like, in a 100 Kb file that has internal addresses from 0 to 100,000, I
want to delete the bytes from 15,000 to 25,000, creating a 90 Kb file.

Actually, the file I need to reduce is 2 Gb, but,...  Does such a
program exist?

Thanks very much, Gurus.

0
Mark246 (3)
2/2/2006 5:51:17 PM
comp.software-eng 4494 articles. 1 followers. editor (304) is leader. Post Follow

On 2 Feb 2006 09:51:17 -0800, Mark246@email.com wrote:

>In Win XP, does anybody know of a utility program that will copy only a
>Designated Part of a file?
>
>There are already programs, like the iHex hex editor, that will reduce
>the size of a file, but it truncates the file from the END of the file.
>

>I need a program that truncates a file at some other designated spot.
>Like, in a 100 Kb file that has internal addresses from 0 to 100,000, I
>want to delete the bytes from 15,000 to 25,000, creating a 90 Kb file.
>

>Actually, the file I need to reduce is 2 Gb, but,...  Does such a
>program exist?
>
>Thanks very much, Gurus.

http://www.fileviewer.com/Features.html

J.

Mark246@email.com wrote:

> In Win XP, does anybody know of a utility program that will copy only a
> Designated Part of a file?
>
> I need a program that truncates a file at some other designated spot.
> Like, in a 100 Kb file that has internal addresses from 0 to 100,000, I
> want to delete the bytes from 15,000 to 25,000, creating a 90 Kb file.

Look at http://www.msdatec.de/spliten.htm
It splits files into parts.
Copying the parts together later on is possible with the copy /b - command.

Regards
        Jogi

--
The particular mistake will not be repeated. There are plenty of
mistakes left that have not yet been used.          A. Tanenbaum

A file utility program to copy a Certain Part of a file ? #2
In Win XP, Does anybody know of a utility program that will copy only a Designated Part of a file? There are already programs, like the iHex hex editor, that will reduce the size of a file, but it truncates the file from the END of the file. I need a program that truncates a file at some other designated spot. Like, in a 100 Kb file that has internal addresses from 0 to 100,000, I want to delete the bytes from 15,000 to 25,000, creating a 90 Kb file. Actually, the file I need to reduce is 2 Gb, but,... Does such a program exist? Thanks very much, Gurus. sed, a unix command that you ca...

A file utility program to copy a Certain Part of a file ? #2
In Win XP, Does anybody know of a utility program that will copy only a Designated Part of a file? There are already programs, like the iHex hex editor, that will reduce the size of a file, but it truncates the file from the END of the file. I need a program that truncates a file at some other designated spot. Like, in a 100 Kb file that has internal addresses from 0 to 100,000, I want to delete the bytes from 15,000 to 25,000, creating a 90 Kb file. Actually, the file I need to reduce is 2 Gb, but,... Does such a program exist? Thanks very much, Gurus. sed, a unix command that you ca...

Cmd-file copy part of itself to temp file !
Thanks to all who replied before. I am up & running using Editor to extract a file that then gets compiled. Works like a charm and I plan to have a new version of my HP2RTF command file available as soon as I pretty it up a bit. The performance difference is.... well, for a dinky little 79-line input file, the new version is about 3 times faster even 1st time, when it compiles part of itself, and about 10 times faster thereafter. Yes, compiled code is sooooo much faster than interpreted that we can run Editor, the Cobol compiler and the linker, and still read and write 79 recor...

Re: Cmd-file copy part of itself to temp file ?
MPE does not support the Unix concept of 'here' files, where input data for the command can reside in the same file as the command, except in the case of jobs. But even in a job, you may not include inline data for a script or UDC invoked by that job. The SPOOKHELP script on Jazz at:=20 http://jazz.external.hp.com/src/scripts/spook/spkhlp5.0.txt may be of some use. This single script contains the help text for all of the SPOOK commands plus the code to search for and display that text once HELP xyzzy is entered. Let me know if you have any questions. Regards, Jeff ...

File, Find References, Copy Files: Truncating Long File Names
Hello All- I just experienced this behavior this morning. It was repeatable. Has anyone else seen this? The file Name was cut off after 57 characters. XP Pro SP2 2006 SP0 Office XP 2003 Pro Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell www.3-ddesignsolutions.com How long was the path name in total? Total including the file extension (.SLDASM) = 174. The file Extension was retained, just the Name was chopped off. These are my customer's files. Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell www.3-ddesignsolutions.com "TOP" <kellnerp@cbd.net> wrote in message news:1128364278.638472.150320@f14g2000...

Copying a file to another file
Hi, I wrote the following C program to copy a file to another file. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> static FILE *open_file ( char *file, char *mode ) { FILE *fp = fopen ( file, mode ); if ( fp == NULL ) { perror ( "Unable to open file" ); exit ( EXIT_FAILURE ); } return fp; } int main ( int argc, char *argv[] ) { /* int ch;*/ FILE *from; FILE *to; char *buffer; long lSize; if ( argc != 3 ) { fprintf ( stderr, "Usage: %s <readfile1> <writefile2>\n", argv[0] ); exit (1);/* E...

File IO/Copy A File
I am stumped on this one... Any easy way to copy a file from a button event in RB 5.2? I basically want the button to copy DB.rdb to DB.bak. THis way is someone hozes the file, we have a backup. Thanks in advance, SJ > I am stumped on this one... > > Any easy way to copy a file from a button event in RB 5.2? I > basically want the button to copy DB.rdb to DB.bak. THis way is > someone hozes the file, we have a backup. > > Thanks in advance, > > SJ Maybe I am missing what you are trying to do - but wouldn't FolderItem.CopyFileTo d...

copy txt file - only copies 1/3 of the file
File.open('oldFile.txt', 'r') do |f1| #file contains XML type data m = f1.gets File.open('newFile.txt','w') do |f2| #newFile to separate data in oldFile f2.puts m.split("<") end end Hello All. There is something that I did that was weird here. I say this because when I open the new file that it creates its 1/3 the size of the original. It seems to just completely cut off. I took off the .split and it still did this, so I know it has nothing to do with split. What do you think is going on? oldFile.txt contains XML formatted data. ...

A free utility for direct copy of Tandem files into Ms Sql, Ms Excel and flat text files
It's an 'Ftp-like' command line utility. You can copy Tandem Enscribe Files and Sql Tables into MS Sql server tables, MS Excel files or flat text files. Filter can be applied on rows and columns, both for Enscribe Files and Sql tables. It's free. Downloadable from http://free.x3.hu/peak-tibor/ Tibor PE�K ...

file extention from file file location
Hi, I am new to perl (only working on this one problem) but I program in other languages. We have an upload script written in cgi. Can anyone tell me how to get the file extension from the variable $File1 (actual file location on uploader's computer) then find out if it is equal to "txt" Thanks in advance for not telling me to read the manual. Ron -- PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible for their content. HOW TO POST to co...

How to create PC File Description File(.FDF) for Client Access file transfer utility?
Hello Friends, I want to know how can i create PC File Description file (.FDF) that we give in File Transfer Utility of Client Access, while transfering any file from PC to AS400. What are the parameters of .FDF file and how can i create one to describe my PC file that is to be transfered? I would be grateful if you can guide me to some manual in which i can get this. Thanks in Advance for yr help in this regard. kind regards, Umer Assuming the file exists on the as400, use CA to download the file first and select create FDF option. If not, download any file and select FDF and loo...

Secure Copy -- Innovative File Copy Utility
Secure Copy(http://www.imosoo.com) is a powerful and comprehensive data copy solution that automates the copying of data between Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003 servers without agents or scripts.Secure Copy not only copies files and folders, but also migrates NTFS permissions, file shares, file share permissions, local users and groups, and compression settings. Secure Copy can be very useful if you have two harddrives and want to back up your data regularly. Neither you need an expencive RAID-Controller which mirrors the whole harddisk (and also all directories, you can't specify it) no...

Iteration through File.file? misses entries for which File.file?(entry) == true
Hello everyone, I'm new to Ruby, so I'm most likely making an elementary mistake. However, searching Google didn't help me find my answer, and after mucking around with irb I still haven't figured it out. I wrote a method that was intended to take all of the files in a given directory and put them into an array. Here's the code I wrote: def getFiles(dir) pwdFiles = Array.new Dir.foreach(dir) do |entry| pwdFiles.push(entry) if File.file?(entry) == true end end This works fine when called on the working directory --- that is, getFile...

copy all files except dot files
Will the following sequence cd /dest-dir cp /source-dir/* . copy EVERYTHING ? But i don't want those dot files like .profile .sh_history to be copied across. What command to use instead? On 7 Mar 2004 06:28:06 GMT, pui ming Wong <s11976@net2.hkbu.edu.hk> wrote: > Will the following sequence > cd /dest-dir > cp /source-dir/* . > > copy EVERYTHING ? > > But i don't want those dot files like .profile .sh_history > to be copied across. > What command to use instead? > cp /source-dir/* . will not copy dot files. -- Incrsease your earoning pos...

Copy Files with long file names
Hi, I am using CopyFile (Scripting.FileSystemObject) to copy file from one location to another. The naming convention followed makes the file names (+ the path) lenghty and the total characters can exceed 260 characters. I would appreciate if you can let me know if there is any solution to bypass max limit (Filename + Path) of 260 characters. The copying of file from one location to another happens on the click of a button in MS Access Forms. Thanks in Advance. Regards Bala Access Version : Access 2003 The files (can be any type of files like .xls, .doc, .pdf etc..) i...

Copying File or Changing File Date
Hi, How do you change the file creation date of a file in windows using java. I tried the File.setLastModified() method and it is not doing what I hoped it would do which is to change the date time stamp displayed in windows explorer. I basically want to copy a file read via InputStream from a URL and written into a local file system using DataOutputStream. The problem is the file written using DataOutputStream is created ad hoc and creates a "new" file with the current datetime stamp. Is it possible to "copy" a file from a URL source or a server-side file system source ...

Copying Files and retaining File Permission
Hi, I need to transfer files from ServerA to ServerB. ServerA is the domain controller, and ServerB is the Additional domain controller in the same domain. What is the easiest way to do this? There are folders with ACL granted to domain users. Server A - Windows 2000 Server Server B - Windows 2003 Server Domain - linx.local If I use traditional way to transfer files, it will lose all the permission, and stop halfway if the file is in use. Any software to skip file in use during copy and report the files in log files? I have heard of RoboCopy. Is it useful in this situation, and any guides ...

Copying Files and retaining File Permission
Hi, I need to transfer files from ServerA to ServerB. ServerA is the domain controller, and ServerB is the Additional domain controller in the same domain. What is the easiest way to do this? There are folders with ACL granted to domain users. Server A - Windows 2000 Server Server B - Windows 2003 Server Domain - linx.local If I use traditional way to transfer files, it will lose all the permission, and stop halfway if the file is in use. Any software to skip file in use during copy and report the files in log files? I have heard of RoboCopy. Is it useful in this situation, and any guides ...

Copying only a part of file
Which is the command to copy in another folder just a part of a file? I mean i've a 500Mb file that i need to split at a �recise number of byte (450.789.455)... How can i copy it in another location only till that precise number of byte and discarding the rest? Thanks for the help and sorry for my bad english "Ozzy" wrote: >Which is the command to copy in another folder just a part of a file? >I mean i've a 500Mb file that i need to split at a �recise number of >byte (450.789.455)... How can i copy it in another location only till >that precise n...

write file + input file + write file
Hi, I want to write some latex command to a file (file1), input the file at the end of the document. These command shall write to another file (file2) and at a second run I use the file2. Whatever I have tried nothing works and I don't known why. The goal is to save a set of special commands and run them at the end of the document, because they use some values which are only available at the end! Can anybody please help me with that? Thanks in advance! I should be something like: \begin{document} \usepackage{style} \input{file2} %file exists from a previous run \end{document} style.sty: \newwrite\fileone \openout\fileone=file1.out \newwrite\filetwo \openout\filetwo=file2.out \newcommand{\writetofiletwo}[1]{% \write\filetwo{#1}% } \newcommand{\writetofileone}[1]{% \write\fileone{\writetofiletwo{some text}}% } \AtEndDocument{\closeout\fileone% \input{file1}% \closeout\filetwo% } Problem solved :-) \immediate\closeout before \input was required. greenux wrote: > Hi, > I want to write some latex command to a file (file1), input the file > at the end of the document. These command shall write to another file > (file2) and at a second run I use the file2. > Whatever I have tried nothing works and I don't known why. The goal is > to save a set of special commands and run them at the end of the > document, because they use some values which are only available at the > end! > Can anybody please help me with that? > Thanks in advance! &...

object files, header files, source files?
I can't find any books describing the anatomy of C/C++ programs. What is an object file? Can it be generated from a header file?, what is linking?, why does a source file need an object file? etc. I have looked in The C programming Language, The C++ Programming Language, Accelerated C++, GNU make etc but they don't describe these basic subject. Any literature that covers these subjects? saneman wrote: > I can't find any books describing the anatomy of C/C++ programs. What is > an object file? Can it be generated from a header file?, what is > linking?, why does a s...

copy data from .xlsx/.xls file as new records to an EXISTING .dbf file (via programming in a clipper 5.3 .PRG file)
.xlsx/.xls data be saved as new records in an existing .dbf file (to be done by programming in a clipper 5.3 .prg file) i have this in an .xlsx/.xls file: Name Hours Date Assign OPE Comments XXT 4.50 20/12/2014 AUDIT Conveyance checked 1314 books P01 12.05 23/12/2014 DUED1 Lunch computed net worth XXT .10 23/12/2014 M&A merged stock... 90H 2.00 02/01/2015 AUDIT Xerox found discrepancies can the 4 (or more records) be read & saved as 4 ...

utility to creating a text file from a spool file
I need a utility or program that will allow me to download AS/400 spool files to a text file on a PC and still retain page layout. We create payroll check on the as/400 download those spool to text files and distribute those out our remote sites where they are printed on epson tractor feed printers. This process has worked great until now. I have been using a product call Surpass that has this capability, however, I just purchased a new iSeries and the company that wrote Surpass, The Tandem Group, must be out of business. Their software has my old As/400 serial and I'm unable to...

Batch file operation copies files to desktop
Hi, I would like to write a batch file that can do the following: -Copy two files (an .mdb and a .bat) from a location on the network given as an UNC path (e.g. \\servername\sharename\...\myFile.mdb) and save it to the currently logged on user's desktop, using the generic Windows location for <dekstop> whether it is 98, NT or XP. Anybody know how to do this? Thanks in advance. Regards, Jean jeanjanssens@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to write a batch file that can do the following: > > -Copy two files (an .mdb and a .bat) from a location on the network > given as an UNC path (e.g. \\servername\sharename\...\myFile.mdb) and > save it to the currently logged on user's desktop, using the generic > Windows location for <dekstop> whether it is 98, NT or XP. > > Anybody know how to do this? Thanks in advance. > > Regards, > Jean > If you run the batchfile from the machine the user is logged in this should not be too hard. You can manually create a file somewhere to do the identification of the OS type and thus the location of the desktop folder, and use like an if and goto system, or try and use some built-in variables to determine the OS type. Wim On 14 Apr 2005 06:05:49 -0700, jeanjanssens@hotmail.com wrote: >Hi, > >I would like to write a batch file that can do the following: > >-Copy two files (an .mdb and a .bat) from a loca...

Web resources about - A file utility to copy a CERTAIN PART of a file ? - comp.software-eng

Trump’s immigration stance resonates at tense rallies
TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — Donald Trump’s campaign for all of Arizona’s Republican delegates is centered on the hard line against illegal immigration ...

Turkey blames IS for Istanbul bombing
Istanbul suicide bombing which killed at least four was carried out by so-called Islamic State, Turkey minister says

Flight recorders badly damaged in Russia plane crash: regulator
Reuters Flight recorders badly damaged in Russia plane crash: regulator Reuters MOSCOW The flight recorders from a passenger jet which crashed ...

In Cuba and US, Expectations Are Mixed on Obama's Historic Trip
Washington Post In Cuba and US, Expectations Are Mixed on Obama's Historic Trip NBCNews.com The 90 miles separating the island of Cuba from ...

John Schnabel Remembered: See All The Best Video Clips Of The Beloved ‘Gold Rush’ Star
John Schnabel died this week at the age of 96, but as the Gold Rush star has gone fans are turning online to remember the beloved and legendary ...

Hulk Hogan verdict raises crucial privacy issues in the digital age
Los Angeles Times Hulk Hogan verdict raises crucial privacy issues in the digital age Los Angeles Times It's hard to think of a case with ...

Russian rescue teams comb debris-laden plane crash site
MOSCOW (AP) — Emergency workers are still combing the debris-laden runway of an airport in southern Russia where a plane carrying 62 people crashed ...

Indiana And Kentucky Lived Up To Every Bit Of The Hype
Indiana beat Kentucky 73-67 in the second round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament Saturday, but there might as well have been a trip to the Final Four ...

Missing West Bridgewater Man, Thomas Stone, Found Dead, Police Say Not ‘Accidental’
The body of Thomas Stone, a missing man from West Bridgewater, Massachusetts, has been found . “The department and the community at large are ...

See the first Instagram post from Pope Francis
We knew Pope Francis was planning to launch an Instagram account and this weekend we saw the first photos and videos from it. As you would expect, ...