Definition of "shall", "should", "must", etc.

Is there a written standard anywhere that defines specification terms
like "shall" and "should" and "must"?

I've run into a number of projects where, in particular, "shall" /
"must" / "will" are all used interchangeably.

Your thoughts...
comp.software-eng 4494 articles. 1 followers. editor (304) is leader. Post Follow

"C. J. Clegg" <reply.to.newsgroup@nospam.no> wrote in message

> Is there a written standard anywhere that defines specification terms
> like "shall" and "should" and "must"?
>
> I've run into a number of projects where, in particular, "shall" /
> "must" / "will" are all used interchangeably.

When in doubt, place an explicit statement that serves to indicate the
interpretation that will be used (make certain it is not inconsistent with
the customers rules and regulations)

C. J. Clegg wrote:
> Is there a written standard anywhere that defines specification terms
> like "shall" and "should" and "must"?
>
> I've run into a number of projects where, in particular, "shall" /
> "must" / "will" are all used interchangeably.
>
> Your thoughts...

oh ...the beauty of google and having worked in telecomms where this
knowledge is an (unfortunate) must (no pun intended)

http://standards.ieee.org/guides/style/section5.html
0
news248 (706)
8/31/2005 6:53:57 PM
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:14:43 GMT, "David Lightstone"
<david._NoSpamlightstone@prodigy.net> wrote:

> When in doubt, place an explicit statement that serves to indicate the
> interpretation that will be used (make certain it is not inconsistent with
> the customers rules and regulations)

Good morning, David.

Yes, I always do that for the documents for which I'm responsible.  I
have one client right now who insists it doesn't matter.  They're
working on a military project AND they're going for CMM Level 3
assessment so I'm pretty sure that cavalier attitudes about term
definitions won't fly too well...
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:53:57 +0100, Andrew McDonagh
<news@andrewcdonagh.f2s.com> wrote:

> oh ...the beauty of google and having worked in telecomms where this
> knowledge is an (unfortunate) must (no pun intended)
>
> http://standards.ieee.org/guides/style/section5.html

Good morning, Andrew.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

I did try Google and got too many hits, also tried searching the IEEE
website and for some reason didn't find this.

Anyway, my additional purpose for posting the question here was to
generate a discussion, if there is a discussion to be had... :-)

Just added this one to my bookmarks ... thanks again.
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 09:39:56 -0400, C. J. Clegg
<reply.to.newsgroup@nospam.no> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:53:57 +0100, Andrew McDonagh
><news@andrewcdonagh.f2s.com> wrote:
>
>> oh ...the beauty of google and having worked in telecomms where this
>> knowledge is an (unfortunate) must (no pun intended)
>>
>> http://standards.ieee.org/guides/style/section5.html
>
>Good morning, Andrew.
>
>Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
>
>I did try Google and got too many hits, also tried searching the IEEE
>website and for some reason didn't find this.
>
>Anyway, my additional purpose for posting the question here was to
>generate a discussion, if there is a discussion to be had... :-)
>
>Just added this one to my bookmarks ... thanks again.

Note that these are the rules that IEEE follows in /standards/, not
the rules that other people's documents must follow.

--
Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com
wrote:

> Note that these are the rules that IEEE follows in /standards/, not
> the rules that other people's documents must follow.

Good afternoon, Ron.

You are correct of course.

I have been claiming that these usages are the de facto industry
standard usages, and this IEEE usage backs that up.
Andrew McDonagh wrote:
> C. J. Clegg wrote:
>
>> Is there a written standard anywhere that defines specification terms
>> like "shall" and "should" and "must"?
> [...]
> http://standards.ieee.org/guides/style/section5.html

Here are links that you can find in the W3 specifications (like
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#terms):

[RFC2119]
     "RFC2119: Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement
Levels", S. Bradner, March 1997.
     Available at: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt

[POSIX.1]
     "ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 Information Technology - Portable Operating
System Interface (POSIX) - Part 1: System Application Program Interface
(API) [C Language]", Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers,
Inc, 1990.

--
Yermat
0
Yermat wrote:

> Here are links that you can find in the W3 specifications (like
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#terms):
>
> [RFC2119]
>     "RFC2119: Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement Levels",
> S. Bradner, March 1997.
>     Available at: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt

Aren't those "recommendations"?

Shan't "shall" have the force of law (or our modern equivalent)?

--
  Phlip
  http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand  <-- NOT a blog!!!

0
phlipcpp (2771)
9/5/2005 3:34:41 PM
"Phlip" <phlipcpp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Yermat wrote:
>
>> Here are links that you can find in the W3 specifications (like
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#terms):
>>
>> [RFC2119]
>>     "RFC2119: Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement Levels",
>> S. Bradner, March 1997.
>>     Available at: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt
>
> Aren't those "recommendations"?
>
> Shan't "shall" have the force of law (or our modern equivalent)?
>
> --
>  Phlip
>  http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand  <-- NOT a blog!!!

You can argue the options until you are blue in the face.
The reality of the situation is that there are 3 choices
(1) Reinvent the square wheel
(2) Adopt the a known "standard"/recommendation
(3) do nothing

Seems like you are in the square wheel camp

Phlip wrote:

> Aren't those "recommendations"?
>
> Shan't "shall" have the force of law (or our modern equivalent)?

A W3C "recommendation" is what other organizations call an approved
standard.

Here's ISO's rule:
6.10.8 Use of words
The word "shall" shall be used to express mandatory requirements. The
word "may" shall be used to express optional
requirements. Although the negative form of "shall" is "shall not", the
negative form of "may" is not "may not", but is
"need not". The use of "may not" shall be avoided.

http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink/fetch/2000/2489/Ittf_Home/ITTF.htm
0
jefflanam (10)
9/8/2005 6:49:49 AM
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 06:49:49 GMT, Jeff Lanam <jefflanam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The word "shall" shall be used to express mandatory requirements. The
>word "may" shall be used to express optional
>requirements.

What is an "optional requirement"? :-)
C. J. Clegg <reply.to.newsgroup@nospam.no> writes:

> What is an "optional requirement"? :-)

An oxymoron?

:-)

Ciao,

Peter K.
0
p.kootsookos (313)
9/15/2005 1:10:22 AM
"Peter K." <p.kootsookos@remove.ieee.org> wrote in message
> C. J. Clegg <reply.to.newsgroup@nospam.no> writes:
>

> > What is an "optional requirement"? :-)
> >

> An oxymoron?
>
> :-)

That'd be a great name for a requirements tool:

Oxymoron 2.0 - Now with state-of-the-art support
for self-contradiction!  -Wm

0
reply34 (475)

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

about "++" and "--"

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

puts "\\".gsub("\\", "\\\\")

Gary Sokolich """"""

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

how to change "/" to "\"
iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. olympie@gmail.com wrote: > iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing > the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. sed 's/\//\\/g' will replace all '/' with '\' srp -- http://saju.net.in Saju Pillai <saju.pillai@gmail.com> wrote: >> iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing >> the pattrern "/" to "\" using ...

what does the "+" and the "-" mean?
I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of course, a friend has just asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results. Anyone know? TIA! .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- roscoe james wrote: > > I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of > course, a friend h...

"==" is NOT TRUE "==", WHY?
[CODE START] x=5; y=8; if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) a = 3 else a = 8 end [CODE END] When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. Why? Kindly advise. Thanks. "onemilimeter Chen" <onemm@example.com> wrote in message <g7adrj$5tr$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > [CODE START] > x=5; > y=8; > if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) > a = 3 > else > a = 8 > end > [CODE END] > > When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. > When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. > > Why? ...

Re: "out" and "in out"
"no reliable initial value" means, you cannot rely on the value, but it may have a value. This depends on the parameter passing mechanism, which is _not_ related to the parameter mode (contrary to what many people think). So the parameter mode is there (nearly) solely for the information of the reader. The parameter passing mechanism for all kinds of parameters is defined in the RM. There are parameters passed by copy (in and out), by reference; for some it is explicitly left undefined. In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you get. But don't rely...

"A" is not equal "A"?
I was trying to convert String Array to String A through cycle and than compare the result with String B but eventhough results were the same it returned false. I'am working in BlueJ 3.1.0 Code is: public boolean Method () { String[] Example = {"a","b","c"}; String A = ""; String B = "abc" for (int i = 0; i<3 ; i++) { A = A + Example[i]; } if (A == B) { return true; } } never got true... I appreciate any suggestions how to solve this Den 08.04.2014 10:06, skrev 245dav@gmail.com:...

why have both "." and "->" ?
I used to remember why c++ needed both ? Could somebody help me here ? For example class A{ f(); }; A* aa; You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. Raj "raj" <rajkumar@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:d7fee6d0.0406230748.694b966b@posting.google.com... > I used to remember why c++ needed both ? > Could somebody help me here ? > > For example > > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++...

"plot", "imshow" and "quiver"
Hi all. So recently I made the discovery that when use "imshow" command, the YDir parameter under Axis Properties is set to "reverse" by default. To me this seems counter intuitive. Why wouldn't YDir be "normal" by default? When set at "normal" it turns out that my image is actually flipped upside down. On the contrary, when use "quiver" command to plot a vector field, the YDir is set at "normal" by default. Even though this makes more sense to me, because "reversed" YDir is the correct way to display an image (as in "imshow"), the result of "quiver" is that the vector fields this time depict the objects as if they are upside down... So every time I use "quiver" I always add the following line to revert the objects back to its normal orientation... set(gca, 'YDir', 'reverse')... In addition, "plot" uses "normal" setting for YDir. The only issue I have is that I use these commands fairly frequently in my job and sometimes they can get a little bit confusing in terms of display. So I wonder why MATLAB hasn't standardized them so that the objects always get displayed the same way. It's just a comment I have. Thank you. "Clare " <flyingclare@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hefvdk$3md$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi all. So recently I made the discovery that when use "imshow" command, > the ...

Is there any """Anti Stringizing operator #"""
Hi everybody:D I've a string that contains the name of a class. Some members told that I can use """Stringizing Operator (#)""", but the problem is here, that I have the string, & I want something vice- versa. As we know with """Stringizing Operator (#)""", we can get the stirng name of a class or ... str <--- #ClassA But I want to instantiate a class that I have just it's name as a string. ClassA * clsA = new ??? <--- Str ??? How can I do it? I don't want to use """HardCoding"&qu...

["a", "b", "c", "d"] to "a, b, c, d"?
I want to process each element of an array, but the last element should be handled special. Here is an example: def p_ary(ary) str = "" ary.each do |elem| str << elem << ", " end str.chomp!(", ") str end so p_ary(["a", "f", "x", "test"]) produces "a, f, x, test". The code works, but isn't there an easier and more general way for this behaviour? martinus On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:23:22 -0700, Martin wrote: > I want to process each element of an array, but the last ele...

Distribute app as "SIT", "ZIP", "DMG", "SEA", etc???
Hi. I have a Mac application. It's NOT a universal binary, but it IS a carbonized application. It runs on Mac OSX, and old Mac OS's back to OS 8.6 as long as the user has the CarbonLib extension active. My app, by the way, is VERY simple...just one file, the application...no other files, just the app. For years and years, I've been distributing this application as a simple SIT file. That was pretty standard, at least a while ago it was. But, now, every now and then, I get a comment from someone who has no idea what ".SIT" means, and apparently Apple no longer even installs StuffIt Expander on new OSX installs. So, what to do? I know Mac OSX now has it's own "Archive" capability and creates ZIPs, but I'm not sure old Mac's would know what to do with such a file. Does the same go for DMG's?? I have a very old version of StuffIT Deluxe, so I suppose I could make a "SEA", self-extracting application from it...that would presumably work on Mac OS 8.6 on up to OSX? How about using DiskUtil to create a DMG? Are DMG's created in OSX recognized back in the land of OS 8.6 or 9? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS! In article <031020061207108808%david@skjopasoao.com>, David <david@skjopasoao.com> wrote: > Hi. I have a Mac application. It's NOT a universal binary, but it IS a > carbonized application. It runs on Mac OSX, and old Mac OS's back to OS ...

if("0X0"=="000"){echo "boo";}
Hi ;) Everything is in the title. the prob is "boo" is displayed ! Can you believe it ? Thanx for anyone who can help me. fabrice. Fabrice R=E9gnier wrote: > Hi ;) > > Everything is in the title. the prob is "boo" is displayed ! Can you > believe it ? Thanx for anyone who can help me. > > fabrice. That's because they are equal! PHP interprets the string "0X0" as zero in Hexidecimal and that is equal to 0. What are you trying to accomplish? Ken Fabrice R?gnier <regnier.fab@free.fr> wrote: > Everything is in the title. the pr...

what is the difference between "tsu", "su" and "sudo"?
Hi all I needed to ask a question about the Linux commands used for getting root access. The question is, what is the difference between "tsu", "su", and "sudo"? I am mainly interested about the "tsu" command regarding which there seems to be very little documentation. What is the benefit in using e.g. "tsu" rather than "su"? And are there other ones besides these 3? (If yes, any pointers to a website discussing all of them would be appreciated.) Thanks in advance, JJ <santa@temporaryinbox.com> writes: >Hi all >I needed to ask a question about the Linux commands used for getting >root access. >The question is, what is the difference between "tsu", "su", and >"sudo"? Never heard of tsu. Not on my system. >I am mainly interested about the "tsu" command regarding which there >seems to be very little documentation. So for something like securly logging in why in the world would you use something for which you can find no docs? You look up the barrel of guns to see if they are loaded while you pull the trigger as well? >What is the benefit in using e.g. "tsu" rather than "su"? For something like su, I would say there is no benefit. >And are there other ones besides these 3? (If yes, any pointers to a >website discussing all of them would be appreciated.) ???? W...

Problem with "Expect" ? "Telnet"? "TclApp"?
Hi, My script try to "Telnet" a machine with "Expect", and it is wrapped to EXE extension with "TclApp". DEP is turned off, and file dgbhelp.dll exists. And now, I run the script. It works well in some PC. However in others, it turns out that the commands in "Telnet" is not executed. I capture the packets, and find that the "username" is not promoted when the server ask for it. Then I try the tcl extension script, it is OK in every PC. I have no idea what's going on.It is the problem of "Expect", "Telnet", or "TclApp", or the OS of my PCs? zhoujingyu Regards, The problem troubles me so much. I am crying for you help. Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you very much! Regards, zhoujingyu At 2008-04-23 08:51PM, "1985zhoujingyu@163.com" wrote: > The problem troubles me so much. I am crying for you help. Can anyone > give me some advice? Thank you very much! Show us your Expect script. -- Glenn Jackman "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." -- Bill Vaughan On 4=D4=C224=C8=D5, =CF=C2=CE=E79=CA=B124=B7=D6, Glenn Jackman <gle...@ncf.c= a> wrote: > > Show us your Expect script. > > -- > Glenn Jackman > "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, > it'...

Why "Let*" and not "Let" after "do" in a loop??? Grrr.
Here is a bit of code... (defun example () (let ((listlen (1- (length *text-array*)))) (loop for i from listlen downto 0 for j = (nth i *text-array*) ;position of first alpha character. do (let* .....insert bindings plus body of let* code here etc... So... Why does that last "let*" work while a "let" in the same place does not and throws an error about how the variables in the bindings following the let have no value? The following is the bit of code I was working on that brought up the issue... it is part of code that I am post...

"Log out", "Shut down", and "Restart" inoperative?
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3174031899_112514 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit (BTW, thanks to all for suggestions re. Network performance � it turned out there was some packet loss) Selecting log out, shut down, or restart from apple menu has no effect on G5 w/10.3.4 (with latest patches). Sleep does work, however. No �spinning ball� cursor or error message � just doesn�t work. This worked at first, t...

Web resources about - Definition of "shall", "should", "must", etc. - comp.software-eng