A Safe Approach to Risk-based Testing

Better Software magazine's Feature Article
By Randall Rice
I am a big fan of risk-based testing. I have developed, used, and
taught risk-based testing for the past eighteen years. Because we
rarely have enough time to perform the level of testing we'd like, we
should prioritize our tests. This is best done by understanding various
product risks and letting those risks guide our work. However, we must
remember that risk-based testing contains risks. We must not be lulled
into a false sense of security when using this technique.

Read More: http://www.stickyminds.com/BetterSoftware/magazine.asp

0
mbrown (37)
10/2/2006 12:51:06 PM
comp.extreme-programming 1465 articles. 0 followers. editor (304) is leader. Post Follow

Regression Testing and the Maple bug iceberg
Hello Maple actual and potential customers over the globe, Let's comeback again to regression testing point. http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RegressionTesting Regression Testing is testing that a program has not regressed: that is, in a commonly used sense, that the functionality that was working yesterday is still working today .................................................................. A bad for Maplesoft's customers fact is that there are at least THOUSANDS regression bugs in Maple. To get an initial feeling, you may wish to look at http://groups.google.com/gro...

tool for testing load balancing
Hi, Is there any tool I can use to test network/application load balancing in freebsd? thanks sam In article <ccp4cq$2obc$1@news.hgc.com.hk>, sam <samwun@hgcbroadband.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Is there any tool I can use to test network/application load balancing >in freebsd? Are you trying to generate traffic ? There's iperf .. http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/ Generate latency ? Dummynet... http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/ Performance on endpoint ? Qcheck runs on Linux/Windows/other... http://www.ixiacom.com/products/p...

solutions manual, test bank for Corporate Finance 2nd Canadian Edition 2e Jonathan Berk Peter DeMarzo David Stangeland contact directly at discountsmtb(at)hotmail(dot)com
Dear All Students, Now you can get solutions manual and test bank for all subjects at very Charming Discount, just for students, file will be sent within few hours after payment. CONTACT directly at: discountsmtb(at)hotmail(dot)com You can get many titles at discount prices: if your required title is not there, do contact me directly at: discountsmtb(at)hotmail(dot)com ...

ignore test PGP 1165128572.5 #146
igrnore. this is a testfile, please disregard ...

Free relational modelling and model-based control software
This is a repeat announcement, but our Web person tarted up the Departmental site and lost our links! The new link to down load the software, documentation and source code is: http://www.strath.ac.uk/Departments/ChemEng/new_staff_pages/clgs03/toppage12.htm I'd be interested in any comments/applications for those of you who try the programs. Regards, Bruce Postlethwaite ...

making arguments safe for ln
I'm currently writing the following in a bash script: ln -s "$TARGET" "$SOURCE" This isn't safe though if "$TARGET" starts with "-" since ln might interpret it as a switch. What's the right way of avoiding this? I was thinking of ln -s ./"$TARGET" "$SOURCE" but that incorrectly mangles the target. Help! -- James Leifer In article <r77smm2lkj7.fsf@brouilly.inria.fr>, James Leifer wrote: [cut] > This isn't safe though if "$TARGET" starts with "-" since ln might > interpret it a...

Base Kerberos5 missing in 4.9
Hello Group, If anyone has been through this before, or knows what it could be, I would appreciate any tips. I have a system 4.9 (p12) that seems to be missing something from Kerberos5. There are ports (security/p5-GSSAPI) that I need which rely on it, but won't load... So, I went to /usr/src/kerberos5 and typed "make", and I get the ending output and errors below... I also went to /usr/src/security and did a "make" and then "make install" there to get anything missing reinstalled, but that didn't help (it completed okay though). I wa...

Competing Risks for Dummies
Hello, A desperate newbie will greatly appreciate your help. First, let me try to identify my problem. I have a disease dataset where the response variable has 7 levels: 0 means "still alive" and 1-6 stands for 6 causes of death. A person might appear multiple times in the dataset and the response variable will be a 0 if the end-of-month status of a person is alive. The month the person dies is when the response variable will be something between 1 and 6 I won't be seeing that person anymore. Now, I want to focus on the probability of one cause of death, enumerated as 6, for al...

Re: Fwd: Anderson-Darling Goodness of Fit test for Non-typical #4
Thanks, Dale. That's great. I'll simulate and let the group know how it goes. Unfortunately, I have to hand something in preliminarily by this evening. Would you suggest another quicker test to use in SAS for goodness of fit for a distn.... One alternative (still not quick), is to 1. extract edf density of my data from SAS (how do I do this?) 2. compute for each p from 1., the x-value under the assumption of my distn(parameters) 3. Take the difference of 1. and 2. for each p 4. Sum and square absolute differences from 3. and do Chi-Sqr ? Anything faster? The timeline is fast...

Software Testing #5
Hi Everybody ! Name : Parameshwari. K Qualification : B.E (Electrical and Electronics) Designation : Quality Assurance Engineer Experience : 2 yrs 3 mon Interest : Testing, Testing & Testing (Software) ...

Best Home Base Work
"I can teach anyone how to get what they want out of life. The problem is I can't find anybody who can tell me what they want." -- Mark Twain "Today people in America can become whatever they want. Trouble is most don't know what they want." -- Earl Nightingale What do you want? Are you sick of the rat race? Are you tired of having someone else tell you what they think you're worth? Would you rather work from home, set you own hours, and pay yourself what you're really worth? We found the Perfect Home-based Business where you can work from home, set yo...

Immediate need of AS 400 Resources based at NCR Region #2
Hello I would like to introduce myself as Dinesh Chandra ,Sr Recruitment Executive Team at Benvia Software (i) Pvt Ltd And take this opportunity to introduce Benvia inform about an opportunity that might be of your interest. If you are interested please send your profiles to dinesh.chandra@benvia.com as soon as possible Key Responsibilities: Person should be able to come up with design, work with the client in getting it approved and assist in implementation. * Should have good experience in AS/400 environment * Be proficient in OS/400, RPG/400, CL/400, DB2/400, ILE RPG, COBOL/ 400, ILE CO...

Calendar.getInstance() thread safe?
Hi, In a multi-threaded application, I encountered problems with dates being "reset" to 1970, or being negative when converted into ms since 1970. I use Calendar to do operations on dates, and as I see no obvious bug in the code, and as the problem occurs randomly and after a certain time, I was wondering if that was a multi-threading issue. So the question is: Is Calendar.getInstance() thread safe? I did not find a satisfying answer searching the web. Is there asbolutely no possibility that two (or more) threads calling Calendar.getInstance() at the same time ...

Is this safe?
I have come across a singleton implementation of the following form in some code I have to maintain... file - Singleton.h #ifndef SINGLETON_H #define SINGLETON_H template<class T> { public: static T& instance() { if ( !instance_ ) { AccessLock<CriticalSection> access(key_); if ( !instance_ ) { static Singleton<T> theInstance; instance_ = &theInstance; } } return instance_; } protected: Singleton() : object_() {} ~Singleton() {} private: Singleton...

Testing in VIM(gVIM)
I enjoy using VIM, but I'm still pretty new to it. Is there a way to test xhtml/php pages in a browser (mozilla) from within VIM? For example, if I use Dreamweaver or similar app, I can press a button and it will test the current markup in my local browser(s). I want the same efficiency and function in VIM...is it possible? Do I need to write a plugin or compiler of sorts to do this? If so, is there some information out ther for me to do so? I spent some time on Google and I looked through some of the available VIM Scripts at the VIM site...but I can't seem to fin...

Randomized testing
Hi all, I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on automated testing through random test case generation, and ideally hear about some actual experiences. If you have used this technique, I'd like to know, if you please: - what kind of product/feature you were testing - what limitations you ran into - what baseline/validation techniques you used - what was your process for running it and debugging failures - what was the noise/bug ratio - and if you were able to figure out how to reduce it - did you tie this with any other techniques (such as code coverage, cyclomatic complex...

TEST AN EXECUTABLE PYTHON SCRIPT SPEED UNDER A PYTHON SHELL
After my testing of JAVA, PYTHON, VB, C-sharp and Erlang like script languages, I noticed that script languages should be timed after the shell interpreter completed loaded. The start up loading time of script interpreters should be excluded in the measure of executing a byte code script. This also explains why C-executables are fast in manny testing programs of various languages to out beat all interpreter loading languages. But I computed the Euler'of s number for tens of thousands of digitsunder different shells , then I was able to check the speed issues of various computer l...

pde toolbox boundary conditions
Hello - I read the documentation, and searched the web, but could not find the answer to this question: In Matlab PDE toolbox - is there a way to automate definition of the boundary conditions, in a programmatic (as opposed to GUI "pdetool") approach? Under "automation" I mean the following - since PDE toolbox numbers the edges of the decomposed geometry arbitrarily, one needs to look at the decomposed geometry plot, along with plotted edge numbers, to understand what boundary condition should be defined for what column of the decomposed geometry matrix (or boundar...

Solutions based on eComStation
OS/2 (eComStation) is alive while people are using and improving the system. The developers of solutions ensure long life for our operating system because computers with OS/2 make money for their customers year by year. The developers bring new industrial technologies to OS/2, feed support service, fill OS/2 with unique features to keep the solutions competitive. Examples of solutions based on OS/2: ATM, sound processing (speech, digital restoration of sound), training devices (astronauts, oilmen), technical appliances (measuring, medical), virtual machines (mainframes, SVISTA), CMMS, restaur...

Test
Test ...

has anyone built a thread-safe postgresql?
I have a need for thread-safe PostgreSQL, or more specifically the libpq library of functions that comes with it. I've written some programs that deal with pulling stuff out of a large database (local internet movie database copy), running a few dozen queries in each program run. When all the queries run to completion, everything works fine. More often than not, it hangs and dies. I think what happens is that some query still hasn't returned when another starts. It doesn't hang in any particular place, and lots of times running the same thing over again works. ...

Confirm reinterpret_cast if is safe?
I use reinterpret_cast to convert from 32 bits integer into 8 bits integer. I use reference instead of pointer to modify value. Please confirm if reinterpret_cast is safe on either Intel machine or AMD machine. If another machine has 9 bits instead of 8 bits, then I use =93if condition=94 macro to use bit shift and bit mask instead. typedef unsigned __int8 size_8; typedef unsigned __int16 size_16; typedef unsigned __int32 size_32; int main () { size_32 dword =3D 0x123456U; size_8 &L =3D *reinterpret_cast< size_8* >( &dword ); size_8 &H =3D *( reinte...

OT
Testing: was experiencing problems ysterday. No problems connecting today, but am not receiving any new articles yet, even when groups.google.con DOES have more recent posts. -- Arlin (remove '351' from email to reply) Hmmmm...well, I can see this message.... -- Arlin (remove '351' from email to reply) ...

CFP: 2nd Workshop on Statistical and Machine learning approaches applied to ARchitectures and compilaTion (SMART'08), Goteborg, Sweden
Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this call. ******************************************************************************** CALL FOR PAPERS 2nd Workshop on Statistical and Machine learning approaches to ARchitecture and compilaTion (SMART'08) http://www.hipeac.net/smart-workshop.html January 27, 2008, Goteborg, Sweden (co-located with HiPEAC 2008 Conference) ***************************...

Testing for CSC3750 FALL 2007 #30
The reason that I choose to take the Computer Science course on web design, is basically to learn how to be more efficient with the computer. I want to learn how the computer works and how the features of the computer work. I also took this course in order to learn how to possibly make my computer go "faster" and also how to design a web page of my own. I chose to take this class because I have a genuine interest in computers. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to find out if I would enjoy a job working in the computer science field. So far it has been enjoyable and I ...