Are you using Agile methods? If so, do you model?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Are you using Agile methods? If so, do you model?

Does modeling work in an agile environment? Are models effective when
dealing with clients in an agile context?

As part of a research effort supported by the Agile Alliance's Academic
Research Program, we are investigating whether (and how well) software
development models work in agile environments. If you have experience or
would like to provide a point of view with respect to modeling in any agile
environment, we would like to hear from you. You can complete the questions
pertinent to you and/or provide your opinion on this topic at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=607293384759
Thank you in advance for you participation in this study,

Don Duffie
c/o Faculty of Business Administration Memorial University of
Newfoundland St. John's, NL A1C 5S7 P.O. Box 4200 CANADA
don.duffie at gmail.com

0
Reply DD 8/28/2007 3:12:04 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.extreme-programming 1462 articles. 2 followers. Post

Questions on managing contractors using agile methods
I received an email from someone with questions about managing contractors who are using agile methods. The sender had seen one of the threads from this newsgroup archived on the codecomments.com website. I removed the identifying information, and am suggesting he continue the thread here. The original email was cc'd to Ron Jeffries, Scott Kinney, and Ilja Preu´┐Ż, all active in the original thread, "Agility and classical software project management" http://www.codecomments.com/archive209-2004-7-228183.html or: <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.software.e...

Is there a compact way to use fitNaiveBayes with a kernel distribution? Default methods saves all training data in the model. Perhaps ksdensity?
The default behavior of model = fitNaiveBayes(X, Y, 'Distribution','kernel'); saves all the data in model.Params, I'm presuming to build the kernel density estimate on the fly. This is both huge and slow. Is there a way to tell it to use ksdensity to build a compact representation of the distribution? Thanks ...

how to model poisson / logit model using proc model?
Dear all, Is there anyway to model poisson or logit model using proc model in ets? I think it is doable given the power of proc model. Could you please shed some light on it? Thanks a lot. -- WenSui Liu A lousy statistician who happens to know a little programming (http://spaces.msn.com/statcompute/blog) On May 27, 9:34 pm, liuwen...@GMAIL.COM (Wensui Liu) wrote: > Dear all, > Is there anyway to model poisson or logit model using proc model in ets? > I think it is doable given the power of proc model. > Could you please shed some light on it? Thanks a lot. > > -- > WenSu...

Re-Use of RTW precompilated model in Simulink without using original model
Hi, I develop and compile some models for dSpace HiL testbenchs with Simulink and Real Time Workshop. Many peoples are working on the same project and some model parts are confidential and have to be hidden. With Matlab/Simulink 2009, I can protect a model throw model referencing and become a protected model and the corresponding mexw32 file, but I didn&#8217;t found how to compile the model part for a specific Real Time Workshop target. Do you have any tip, how I can resolve my problem? Thanks, Loïc ...

Re: how to model poisson / logit model using proc model?
Hi, SL, Thanks for following-up. I knew that there is minor mistake in your code. The StdErr is not correct. But it doesn't matter. Overall, it is very good code and good grasp of statisitcs. If I guess right, your background should be economics instead of statistics. What are you working on? ^_^. again, many thanks! wensui On 5/29/07, Shiling Zhang <shiling99@yahoo.com> wrote: > > On May 29, 8:47 am, shilin...@yahoo.com wrote: > > On May 27, 9:34 pm, liuwen...@GMAIL.COM (Wensui Liu) wrote: > > > > > Dear all, > > > Is there anyway to model pois...

Re: how to model poisson / logit model using proc model? #2
Hi, If your requirement is not a time series then you can use Proc GENMOD in much better way. it is easy to use these (both logit/poisson). - Kiran KS ________________________________ From: SAS(r) Discussion on behalf of Wensui Liu Sent: Mon 5/28/2007 7:04 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: how to model poisson / logit model using proc model? Dear all, Is there anyway to model poisson or logit model using proc model in ets? I think it is doable given the power of proc model. Could you please shed some light on it? Thanks a lot. -- WenSui Liu A lousy statistician who happens to k...

Using a method as input to another method
Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to do something like the following: class A def b stuff end def c stuff end def d(x) self.x end end Then use thing.d(a) with thing an instance of A? Basically, given a long list of methods belonging to a class, if you wanted ruby to apply methods based on the state of the program, how would you set it up besides doing: case A when b thing.stuff when c thing.otherstuff On 09.01.2009 18:48, Erick Star wrote: > Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to do something like the > following: > > class A > > def b > stuff > e...

Useful uses for instance-specific methods.
I ran into two specific cases this weekend where singleton methods made my code feel a lot cleaner. For your enjoyment, I'll show them both here. Here's the first version of the code: class WordTreeNode attr_accessor :parent attr_accessor :text_value attr_accessor :source_value def initialize( text_value=nil ) @children = [] @text_value = text_value end def <<( kid ) @children << kid kid.parent = self end def text @text_value || @children.map{ |kid| kid.text }.join end def source @source_value |...

How do I use the justify method of the range method to...
How do I use the justify method of the range method to justify data going into an excel spreadsheet? How do I use the justify method of the range method to justify data going into an excel spreadsheet? There are 4 formatting options that you may have in mind. You may want to align left, align right, center, or justify the data. Justify method will insert small spaces between the words of a paragraph to force both the left and right margins to be flush with the edges of the cell. I don't believe this is what you want to do to your data. Alignment on the other hand is controlled by the ...

using portions of other methods in a new method
How do you take a piece of a method and use it in another? Here is my simple example: class MyArray def counter result = [] i = 0 a = 1 b = 0 while i <= 5 do a = a + 1 b = b +1.5 result << b.to_s + "\t" + a.to_s i += 1 end puts result end def counter2 counter end end test = MyArray.new puts test.counter2 I want counter2 method to take the array "b" and do something with it, like this: b.inject {|sum, element| sum+element} I just can't figure out how to transfer b from one method to another. Is t...

My Model: make your own model and use fit
Hey All, I some data which I am fitting. It is not important what model we use so if you have a good suggestion feel free to let me know. My goal is to repoduce the ripples in my data at high frequency and force it through a point at zero frequency- so I am not sure I can use polyfit(but I am sure I am wrong about that). I saw some algorithms on here to do it. But I think you could just do it using fit? Here is how I thought to do it- ------------------------------------------------------------- opts = fitoptions('Method','LinearLeastSquares','Robust','on',...

using model inputs in model initialise states or model start in C mex s functions
Hi I am writing c mex s functions for simulation. I would like to use the models initial inputs to initialise states, when I use ssGetInputPortRealSignalPointers in the modelstart or model initialise conditions function it always returns zero for the model inputs no matter what the inputs are. Does anyone no why or how to get around this ?? this is the code const real_T *u = (const real_T*) ssGetInputPortRealSignal(S,0); Vcx = u[0]; Vcy = u[1]; omega = u[2]; Fz = u[4]; thanks robin robin northcott wrote: > > > Hi > I am writing c mex s functions for simulation. I woul...

ARMA model codes using PROC MODEL
I have a dataset which is not exactly as standard time series. So the PROC ARIMA cannot be appried directly. I need to write a customerized ARMA under proc model framework, specifically, AR(1)+MA(1). If anyone has some sample codes, it would be a great helpful. TIA. ...

If method B uses a value returned by method A .....
I've been puzzled by this for a long time. Say if I define a method as follows: // methodA returns a String public String methodA(some arguments) { // do something and return a String } Now suppose, another method (methodB) will use the String returned from methodA. Should I call methodA inside methodB in order to get the String, or should I call methodA outside methodB (in the main) and pass the returned value to methodB as an argument? Which approach is considered better according to you professional programmers/developers? What are the differences? Thanks. antonyliu2002@yahoo...

using dynamic method calling with attr_writer methods
I'm a total Ruby newbie looking for help. I'm writing an application where I need to dynamical assign object variables via attr_writer object methods. My code is something like this: class Test < ParentClass attr_reader :one, :two, :three attr_writer :one, :two, :three def initialize super end end ( I know I could use attr_accessor but for testing I'll stick to attr_writer and _reader) Now I try to call the 'Test' methods dynamical witch 'object.send' from within my main application: [...] @methods = ['...

defining a method that could be used as instance or static method
Hello I would like to implement some kind of comparator, that could be called as instance method, or static method. Here is a trivial pseudo code of what I would like to execute >> class MyClass: .... def __init__(self, value): .... self.value = value .... def comp(self, compValue): .... return self.value == compValue.value >> a = MyClass(3) >> b = MyClass(4) >> c = MyClass(3) >> a.comp(b) False >> a.comp(c) True This is actually achieved by MyClass, how could implement it in order to accept: >> MyClass.comp(a, b) False I would...

Using variable or using direct method call
If I were to do this: public void method() { Container parent = getParent(); ::: ::: ::: parent.callMethod(...); ::: ::: ::: ::: parent.callAnotherMethod(...); ::: ::: } and if another thread were to change the parent, will the above fail since the method is not synchronized? Or should I just leave it that way rather than change it to getParent().callMethod(...) everytime...but doing so is of no use since if the parent changes midway, the method's objective will not be met since it requires that the parent be the s...

Dispatching a method using PyobjC Selectors/Methods
Hi, I am writing a SIMBL plugin for Mail.app, so far it loads and the correct method has been swizzled. However, i would like to call the original method and that is where the problem lies. If you could see the code(below), in console.app, i get the following error because of old(x) " 2007-06-26 03:42:04.053 Mail[2600] *** NSRunLoop ignoring exception 'exceptions.TypeError: 'int' object is not callable' that raised during posting of delayed perform with target 5bd1b10 and selector '_finalSetup' " #saved as MailDump.py import objc from Foundation import * f...

Training Courses: Multiple Regression using SPSS, Multilevel modelling using SPSS, SEM using MPlus; Sheffield, June 2010
Hi A quick advertisement for a couple of statistics courses provided by Figure It Out, the statistical consultancy unit at the Institute of Work Psychology, University of Sheffield, in June/July 2010. The courses are particularly aimed at researchers, practitioners and postgraduate students from the fields of psychology, management/ business, sociology, and the social sciences more generally. These courses coincide with and form part of the workshop/fringe programme for the IWP 'Well-being and Performance' Conference 2010, but are open to anyone whether or not they are atten...

How to use send form with POST method before using showModalDialog
Hi everybody, i'm writing a function to post a form and at the same time to open a modal or non-modal windwow (this is currently for IE 5.5 only) function js_openWindow(p_commande,p_winWidth,p_winHeight,p_isModal,p_nameForm,p_isToNavigate){ if (p_isModal){ // i want here my showModalDialog ...

checking whether driver is in use or not(Method other than using MOD_IN_USE)
Hi all, I have an Multiport ISA card with PC16550D.I have written a driver for this card probes this card,allocate memory space and then call register_serial() of the serial driver in linux. I have modified serial.c slightly ,to enable/disable the interrupts on my isa board. Now i am facing a problem.ie,if some application that uses the ports on this board is running and if i try to unload my driver ,the system freezes. ie,by driver is unloaded,even if the application is running. I cannot use,MOD_IN_USE macro in the clean_up module(freeing the memory here) of my driver,sin...