Iteration planning for complex frameworks

I'm trying to get an idea of how to introduce agile development (or more
specific eXtreme programming) in a project for developing a potentially
complex generic framework. This framework would offer functionality to:

communication via webservices
easy (generated) extension of the webservice API
generation of ASP.NET screens

first application of this framework would be in rather big ERP applications:
a set of traditional multiplatform legacy backoffices need to be exposed via
the internet.

trying to adhere to the rule: do the most complex thing first, what would be
typical candidates for the first iterations in this example?

maybe we're too ambitious but we're also trying to convince management about
the usefullness of an agile approach. they already commited to frequent
functional discussions (ERP stuff) and development in iterations and the
fact that it probably means we cannot know now what we will have in a year.

my guess is that for the framework stuff the development team themselves
would be the customer right?

please don't tell me we don't need the framework :-( im not sure if I want
to convince management that a whole family of applications we are to develop
dont need the aforementioned framework

any suggestions?
thx
eddy

comp.extreme-programming 1465 articles. 0 followers. editor (304) is leader. Post Follow

Chello wrote:

> trying to adhere to the rule: do the most complex thing first

Yeeek! Where did _that_ rule come from???

--
  Phlip

Phlip
8/17/2004 3:02:33 PM
oops sorry, i meant: do the most risky thing first or was it: do the most
important thing first?

"Phlip" <phlip_cpp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Chello wrote:
>
> > trying to adhere to the rule: do the most complex thing first
>
> Yeeek! Where did _that_ rule come from???
>
> --
>   Phlip
>   http://industrialxp.org/community/bin/view/Main/TestFirstUserInterfaces

0
Chello
8/17/2004 3:29:18 PM
Chello wrote:

> oops sorry, i meant: do the most risky thing first or was it: do the most
> important thing first?

If you do many high risk things first, you will start a project with a
high-risk architecture. (This explains the "Enterprise" in "Enterprise
Application Integration Patterns" etc.)

Software development follows two cycles. Deploying releases to users is the
outer cycle, and implementing features is the inner cycle.

Work the outer cycle in order of strict business priority. Do the batch of
highest-priority things first, and deliver them. Then use them to help
specify the next batch. This is a design technique and a requirements
gathering technique. Subsequent features, and their code, will support the
highest value features. All roads lead to Rome.

Work the inner cycle in order of simplicity. For a given user story, first
solve the simplest condition within it. To invent a language, make it
print("Hello World") first. Solve for several simple cases, then merge the
solutions to solve the general case.

When mathematicians write intricate proofs, such as for geometries that
generalize to any number of dimensions, they first solve a specific proof
for 2D, then a proof for 3D, then for 4D. Armed with these experiences, and
proofs, they merge duplication into a single generic proof for any number of
dimensions.

(Leaving only the multi-dimensional proof in the textbooks, to show off,
turns math books into such light pleasant relaxing reading material.)

"Designing" means organizing the relations between the structure of objects
in memory and their behavior in time. Structure is bone, behavior is muscle,
and perfecting their design is difficult. The best way to seek simplicity is
to start with it.

Now, back to your question. Remember I have never integrated an enterprise.
(Join the Saucer Section to the Drive Section, Cmdr Data!)

> I'm trying to get an idea of how to introduce agile development (or more
> specific eXtreme programming) in a project for developing a potentially
> complex generic framework. This framework would offer functionality to:
>
> communication via webservices
> easy (generated) extension of the webservice API
> generation of ASP.NET screens

How many of those acronyms are already adding value? If any are not yet, do
not deploy them until you find a reason.

Some projects start by guessing which tools they will need, then buying
them. Even if an organization already bought a given tool, adding it to a
project is still a purchase, expecting a cost of ownership lower than return
on investment. If you delay an acquisition until simple code reveals the
need for it, you might never need to acquire. If you do, your well-factored
code will specify the exact tool you need, and will insulate other modules
from the change. After replacing a module, all your tests must still pass.

> first application of this framework would be in rather big ERP
applications:
> a set of traditional multiplatform legacy backoffices need to be exposed
via
> the internet.

If you do that, whatever it means, what will end users see?

Do they want to see "your backend exposed on my browser"?

Or do they really want to see "the sales data from the Namibia office
automatically instead of via e-mail"?

They might really want the latter, but they might not know how to ask for
it. They might think that they must ask for everything, or they will only
get hacks.

> trying to adhere to the rule: do the most complex thing first, what would
be
> typical candidates for the first iterations in this example?

You are discussing requests for infrastructure. Start with requests for real
functionality. Under test, you can trust the infrastructure to emerge.

> maybe we're too ambitious but we're also trying to convince management
about
> the usefullness of an agile approach. they already commited to frequent
> functional discussions (ERP stuff) and development in iterations and the
> fact that it probably means we cannot know now what we will have in a
year.

ERP is not anti-Agile (look at Thoughtworks), but many vendors supply ERP in
huge expensive packages. They get paid whether or not you get the sales
reports from Namibia on-demand.

However, you might now also be up against any differences between what your
managers think "agile" means and what they feel comfortable with.

> my guess is that for the framework stuff the development team themselves
> would be the customer right?

Are you going to write a framework that other developers will then use to
provide features? This is a recipe for disaster because it delays feedback.

> please don't tell me we don't need the framework :-(

You don't need the framework.

> im not sure if I want
> to convince management that a whole family of applications we are to
develop
> dont need the aforementioned framework

You also don't need to be careful what you ask managers for permission to
do. Tell them that paying as you go is safe. Ask for high-value _features_,
not a payroll for a very long runway.

Implement the features, under _relentless_ testing. When you deliver, and
get the next batch of features, refactoring them together with the current
ones will grow a framework, tuned to your exact topology.

--
  Phlip

Phlip
8/17/2004 5:10:16 PM
Always start with the equivalent of "hello world" for this type of activity, or
what Phlip has called a "closed loop" in some other discussions, or what in
XP is called a spike.

In other words, set up a web service interface that allows access to one of the
back-office services (and maybe generate one of those ASP pages as a
result). This will get a lot the basics technical issues sorted out and will
start to give you some feedback that will help with your direction for the
architecture.

As you continue to develop the code, I recommend developing specific
features rather than trying to produce a generic framework up-front. That way,
you'll get to points where the features help you to determine when you
need to refactor your framework into something more general. For example,
in a recent project, we had some things working with TCP/IP. When we
tried to get some features working with UDP/IP, we realized things were
getting complicated. This drove us to refactor our design to support
both TCP and UDP in a generic way. I think it is better to do design
this way than to try to decide these sorts of things right up-front.

Finally, there is no reason why agile methods can't give you an estimate
of how long the project will take, i.e. "You'll get X features in Y months
for Z dollars." The only caveat is that each iteration will improve
those estimates and tell you as early as possible if things are going off
the rails.

"Chello" <ce.borremans@chello.nl> wrote in message news:<2doUc.101434$i7.39622@amsnews05.chello.com>...
> I'm trying to get an idea of how to introduce agile development (or more
> specific eXtreme programming) in a project for developing a potentially
> complex generic framework. This framework would offer functionality to:
>
> communication via webservices
> easy (generated) extension of the webservice API
> generation of ASP.NET screens
>
> first application of this framework would be in rather big ERP applications:
> a set of traditional multiplatform legacy backoffices need to be exposed via
> the internet.
>
> trying to adhere to the rule: do the most complex thing first, what would be
> typical candidates for the first iterations in this example?
>
> maybe we're too ambitious but we're also trying to convince management about
> the usefullness of an agile approach. they already commited to frequent
> functional discussions (ERP stuff) and development in iterations and the
> fact that it probably means we cannot know now what we will have in a year.
>
> my guess is that for the framework stuff the development team themselves
> would be the customer right?
>
> please don't tell me we don't need the framework :-( im not sure if I want
> to convince management that a whole family of applications we are to develop
> dont need the aforementioned framework
>
> any suggestions?
> thx
> eddy
0
vladimir_levin
8/17/2004 6:34:50 PM
> Always start with the equivalent of "hello world" for this type of activity, or
> what Phlip has called a "closed loop" in some other discussions, or what in
> XP is called a spike.

Or a bridge thread:
  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BridgeThread

Laurent
http://bossavit.com/thoughts/
0
Laurent
8/18/2004 6:28:48 AM
"Chello" <ce.borremans@chello.nl> wrote in message news:<2doUc.101434$i7.39622@amsnews05.chello.com>...
> I'm trying to get an idea of how to introduce agile development (or more
> specific eXtreme programming) in a project for developing a potentially
> complex generic framework. This framework would offer functionality to:
>
> communication via webservices
> easy (generated) extension of the webservice API
> generation of ASP.NET screens

> please don't tell me we don't need the framework :-( im not sure if I want
> to convince management that a whole family of applications we are to develop
> dont need the aforementioned framework

You probably do need a framework.  The problem is that you really have
no idea what services the framework should provide.  I've worked on
multiple projects where such frameworks were written in advance of any
deliverable functionality, and in all cases most of the up-front work
on the framework was wasted.  A significant portion of the
functionality wasn't needed, or required extensive redesign to meet
the needs of the application.  And when used, it turned out that the
framework code had been lightly tested, and was of poor quality.  I
would never start a development project by writing a framework.

Instead, pick the most valuable application and start writing it.
Factor out repeated code into functions, collect related functions
into classes, collect related classes into modules.  When it becomes
more important to start another application than to continue adding
functionality to the first application, start writing the next
application.  Reuse the library code from the first application when
possible.  If the library code isn't quite right, and it won't be,
then refactor it to serve both applications.  By the time you get to
the fourth application you won't have to change the existing framework
code very much, but will probably continue adding functionality.  In
this way you will develop a truly useful framework, and you won't
waste time writing a lot of code that is never used.
0
kevin
8/18/2004 5:03:05 PM
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:01:34 GMT, "Chello" <ce.borremans@chello.nl>
wrote:

>I'm trying to get an idea of how to introduce agile development (or more
>specific eXtreme programming) in a project for developing a potentially
>complex generic framework. This framework would offer functionality to:
>
>communication via webservices
>easy (generated) extension of the webservice API
>generation of ASP.NET screens
>
>first application of this framework would be in rather big ERP applications:
>a set of traditional multiplatform legacy backoffices need to be exposed via
>the internet.
>
>trying to adhere to the rule: do the most complex thing first, what would be
>typical candidates for the first iterations in this example?
>
>maybe we're too ambitious but we're also trying to convince management about
>the usefullness of an agile approach. they already commited to frequent
>functional discussions (ERP stuff) and development in iterations and the
>fact that it probably means we cannot know now what we will have in a year.
>
>my guess is that for the framework stuff the development team themselves
>would be the customer right?
>
>please don't tell me we don't need the framework :-( im not sure if I want
>to convince management that a whole family of applications we are to develop
>dont need the aforementioned framework
>
>any suggestions?

Yes.  Frameworks should be developed as *part* of two or more
applications that use the framework.  You do this by starting two or
three applications in the normal XP/Agile way: Write stories, estimate
them in arbitrary points, choose high business value stories first and
implement them in very short cycles using TDD and pairing, etc.

The teams developing the applications should exchange people
frequently.  After a few iterations, it should be clear that there is
a lot of overlap between the applications.  Create a new team by
drawing a few people from each of the other application teams.  That
new team will create the framework.  The other teams will act as
customers and will feed stories.  The framework team must serve the
application teams by building generic code that implements the stories
from the application teams.  The framework team will have to negotiate
the stories with the teams so that a generic solution can be achieved.

If you don't have enough people to populate all these teams, then use
one team.  This one team will change hats each iteration.  The first
iteration they'll work on app 1.  The second iteration they'll work on
app 2.  They'll keep doing this until they learn enough to see the
overlap in the apps.  Then they'll start working on the framework one
iteration in N, and continue working on the apps during the others.

-----
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)
Object Mentor Inc.
unclebob @ objectmentor . com
800-338-6716

"The aim of science is not to open the door to infinite wisdom,
 but to set a limit to infinite error."
    -- Bertolt Brecht, Life of Galileo
0
Robert
8/20/2004 11:07:11 PM
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:02:33 GMT, "Phlip" <phlip_cpp@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Chello wrote:
>
>> trying to adhere to the rule: do the most complex thing first
>
>Yeeek! Where did _that_ rule come from???

It's pretty common.  I think Grady put it in his books.

What you really want is highest business value first.

-----
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)
Object Mentor Inc.
unclebob @ objectmentor . com
800-338-6716

"The aim of science is not to open the door to infinite wisdom,
 but to set a limit to infinite error."
    -- Bertolt Brecht, Life of Galileo
0
Robert
8/20/2004 11:08:02 PM
Robert C. Martin wrote:

> Phlip wrote:
>
> >Chello wrote:
> >
> >> trying to adhere to the rule: do the most complex thing first
> >
> >Yeeek! Where did _that_ rule come from???
>
> It's pretty common.  I think Grady put it in his books.

I thought the iterative-but-not-extreme camp sorted things by risk, not
complexity. Meaning start with the things whose potential complexity must be
defeated, not the low-risk high-complexity things.

Probably the same difference...

> What you really want is highest business value first.

Well, you certainly have the lobes for business, O Grand Nagus of Agility.

[And you owe me 2.5 strips of gold-pressed latinum for that accolade,
indexed at 6%;]

--
  Phlip

Phlip
8/21/2004 3:42:27 AM
Robert C. Martin wrote:

> The teams developing the applications should exchange people
> frequently.  After a few iterations, it should be clear that there is
> a lot of overlap between the applications.  Create a new team by
> drawing a few people from each of the other application teams.  That
> new team will create the framework.  The other teams will act as
> customers and will feed stories.

I'm aware that agility frees up resources, but I did not get the idea they a
VW Beetle with 30 clowns inside.

(I _did_ get the idea that a very few people had been given the marching
order: "Go build a framework, then we'l do something with it...")

--
  Phlip

Phlip

US-TX-Austin: Business Support Spc., Master/Factory planning, MS Office; C-P (45321732402)
US-TX-Austin: Business Support Spc., Master/Factory planning, MS Office; C-P (45321732402) ========================================================================================== Position: Business Support Spc. Reference: SMC01635 Location: Austin TX Duration: C-P Skills: Bachelor Degree in Information Systems; Computer Science; Engineering; or related field. 5+ years direct IT/IS experience in business integration and system support. Strong understanding of master and factory planning in a ...

GNAVI: Win32 bindings & ATL framework for Ada
GNAVI is Ada for Windows development prior to Windows 8; GNAVI does not sup= port Microsoft App Store apps via WinRT. Does anyone know whether the auth= ors of GNAVI intend to port GNAVI to WinRT, such as via WRT that does not u= tilize C++/CX (Microsoft's C++/CLI-like proprietary component extensions fo= r "native"-machine-code C++)? And the reason that I bring it up here: wou= ld anyone currently outside of the GNAVI community be more interested in GN= AVI if GNAVI kept pace with Microsoft's modern nonWin32 (but ATL-derived) d= irection in Windows 8, 8.1, and so f...

In map iterator is there a difference between (*iter).second and iter->second?
I see that a lot of former in the code, and wonder if there is a technical reason for that "puzzlecracker" <ironsel2000@gmail.com> wrote in message news:8114115f-8075-4f7b-891d-298b48b9a383@56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com... >I see that a lot of former in the code, and wonder if there is a > technical reason for that You're asking about language syntax, this is not specific to map or iterators. Given a pointer to a class or struct: struct T { int member; }; and a pointer to one of these structs: T obj; T *p(&obj); The two expressions: (*p).member and p-...

How to add framework to a target in Xcode?
I have been experimenting with converting Project Builder targets to Xcode, and have been having problems building targets that use my own frameworks. In the Project Builder version of this project, I was able to drag my framework into the "Frameworks and Libraries" Field under Build Phases for that target. After converting the target to Xcode native, the AppKit and Cocoa frameworks appear in the corresponding F & L field, but my own framework does not and builds fail with an "Undefined symbols" message relating to symbols in the missing framewor...

"'int' object is not iterable" iterating over a dict
>>> a_list = range(37) >>> list_as_dict = dict(zip(range(len(a_list)), [str(i) for i in a_list])) >>> for k, v in list_as_dict: .... print k, v .... Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> TypeError: 'int' object is not iterable What 'int' object is this referring to? I'm iterating over a dict, not an int. On Oct 5, 8:11=A0pm, mmiikkee13 <mmiikke...@gmail.com> wrote: > >>> a_list =3D range(37) > >>> list_as_dict =3D dict(zip(range(len(a_list)), [str(i) for i...

US-TX-Austin: IC Layout Designer, plan sub-circuits, Cadence; 12+mos. (45315914406)
US-TX-Austin: IC Layout Designer, plan sub-circuits, Cadence; 12+mos. (45315914406) =================================================================================== Position: IC Layout Designer Reference: SMC01582 Location: Austin TX Duration: Appr. 12 mos. Skills: Custom analog layout experience Exp. with Floor planning of sub-circuits Excellent skills in Cadence and calibre tools Working knowledge of pad cells, ESD and latch up is a plus Quick learner, highly motivated, team player Problem solver ...

How to solve a linear equation with complex number coefficiency?
Hellow! Anyone can tell me how to solve a linear equation with complex number coeffiency as following (1+i)*x+(2+3i)*y=0; (2+5i)*x+(3+30i)*y=0; I try to use null(A), but it seems not working. Thanks! Mike In article <ef4363d.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP>, Mike <mainstream11@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hellow! > Anyone can tell me how to solve a linear equation with complex number > coeffiency as following > (1+i)*x+(2+3i)*y=0; > (2+5i)*x+(3+30i)*y=0; > > I try to use null(A), but it seems not working. > Thanks! > Mike ------------------- null(A) will only g...

why no bidirectional iostream iterator?
Why does the standard library implement only input/output iterators, not bidirectional iterators, for iostreams (and stringstreams)? I haven't found a nonstandard library that does it either. I wonder if it's actually infeasible, or if no one really cares. Input iterators are useless for reading part of a file. Cf. the standard, 24.5.3.5 istreambuf_iterator::equal, "Returns: true if and only if both iterators are at end-of-stream, or neither is at end-of-stream, regardless of what streambuf object they use". I assume the C++ standards committee made istream_ite...

How do/should I use arrays of complex types in a WebService?
Im having a play with WebServices using IBM RAD 6 as my IDE. I can get webservices to work ok when the message is a wrapper containing Strings, ints, and arrays of Strings or ints, but as soon as I try to use an array of complex types it fails. The way it fails is that it says the array is an array of 'xsd:anyType' whereas I would expect something like 'impl:mytype' where mytype would then have 'complexType' entry which would explain that its just a String and an Int (for example) Can anyone tell me how I should structure a message object to contain arrays of wrapper...

[News] ITV Does the DRM Trick, Snubs Linux; Joost Debuts with Linux Plans; YouTube Fights for Video Freedom
GBP20m ITV website revamp ,----[ Quote ] | "Some are already streaming their channels, some are providing catch-up | and some building their archive, but ITV.com will provide all three." | | The unveiling of the service comes after final plans for a new service, | the BBC iPlayer, providing programmes on demand were announced by the | BBC Trust yesterday. `---- http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/technology/s/1005/1005955_20m_itv_website_revamp.html?rss=yes Joost opens online video service ,----[ Quote ] | Joost, the on-demand online video service backed by the founders ...

What makes an iterator an iterator?
I thought that an iterator was any object that follows the iterator protocol, that is, it has a next() method and an __iter__() method. But I'm having problems writing a class that acts as an iterator. I have: class Parrot(object): def __iter__(self): return self def __init__(self): self.next = self._next() def _next(self): for word in "Norwegian Blue's have beautiful plumage!".split(): yield word But this is what I get: >>> P = Parrot() >>> for word in P: .... print word .... Traceback (most recent cal...

[News] [Rival] Massive Microsoft Leak Reveals Copycat Plan

Iterator
Hi guys, I am trying to use the PriorityQueue ADT from the java. I want to somehow traverse through the queue so that to know that if there is some space left in the queue or if it is full. Somebody told me that i can use iterator() to traverse. I tried to use iterator and created a new iterator object but it gives me this error java.util.iterator is abstract ; cannot be instantiated maybe i dont have the real idea of itertor down yet and i might be doing something wrong. So can someone please help me what i m doung wrong. Any help will be really appreciated. Thank you On 14 Oct 2005 19...

iteration
What's the name of this type of iteration in Java? for (Player p : players) { } I haven't seen this until recently. On 5/1/2012 7:29 AM, bob wrote: > What's the name of this type of iteration in Java? > > for (Player p : players) > { > > } > > I haven't seen this until recently. "enhanced for statement" See http://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se7/html/jls-14.html#jls-14.14.2 Patricia On 5/1/2012 7:29 AM, bob wrote: > What's the name of this type of iteration in Java? > > for (Player p : players) > { > > } > ...

newbie sees iterative solution, wants to know the IDL Way
<best viewed in monospace font/> From what I read, iteration is not the way to go with IDL. So I'm wondering, how to translate the following iterative solution: I'm reading netCDF data with dimensions={time, lat, lon}, from which I want to get the "seasonality" such that, for each spacetime, I get the proportion of the total over time at that point in space. E.g. if I had input data for 4 space points (j,k) @ 2 time points (i): (k=0) j=0 j=1 i=0: 0 1 i=1: 2 3 (k=1) i=0: 4 5 i=1: 6 7 it would map to 0 1/4 1 3/4 2/5 5/12 ...

Iterations in matlab
i have been trying to solve a problem on dc series motor the code i typed in my editor was as follows %function [w]=speed(b0,w0,N) %function [b]=current(b0,w0,N) %for i = 1:N-1 %w(i+1)=[14.192*{(.1236*b(i)*b(i))-0.17}]+w(i); %b(i+1)=[.05452*{40-(.1236*w(i)*b(i))-(7.2*b(i))}]+b(i); %end %plot(1:N,w) %plot(1:N,b) i defined bo w0 N in command window and then typed [w]=speed(b0,w0,N) i gt the error ??? Undefined function or method 'speed' for input arguments of type 'double' please help.......... aditya wrote: > i have been trying to solve a problem on dc serie...

US-TX-Austin: CADD Designer, 8yrs exp building facility plan prep., AutoCAD '00 (45310514412)
US-TX-Austin: CADD Designer, 8yrs exp building facility plan prep., AutoCAD '00 (45310514412) ============================================================================================= Position: CADD Designer Reference: SMC01534 Location: Austin TX Duration: 1Y Skills: Degree in Architecture plus 8yrs exp in building facility plan preparation. 5yrs exp Architectural or Engineering CADD workstations and applications (AutoCAD 2000 or 2004 exp required). 5yrs exp in building construction field work p...

Complexity and web maps: invitation to participate a questionnaire
Dear members, I work in University of Zurich's Geography department and we occasionally dwell into questions such as 'what makes a map complex'? To study such things are .. well, complex :) In this particular case, some of my students wanted to ask people who use maps. I imagine most of you use maps. If you can spare some 15 minutes of your time, please help us by filling out this questionnaire: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KDX2K5R This questionnaire is coupled with some quantitative measures for comparison. When we finalize the study, we will publish the results ...

Diet Plan for Asthma
http://www.onlymyhealth.com/diet-plan-asthma-1329286747 Asthma is a chronic respiratory ailment, which is prevalent among all age groups. There is no specific treatment to cure asthma completely, but a well-balanced diet may help you alleviate your risk of asthma attacks. ...

US-IN-Indianapolis: Business Reporting Analys, project planning, 3mo. (45392237475)
US-IN-Indianapolis: Business Reporting Analys, project planning, 3mo. (45392237475) =================================================================================== Position: Business Reporting Analys Reference: ALM00032 Location: Indianapolis IN Duration: 3mo Skills: Oral Communication Intermediate 0.0 Required Negotiating skills Analyst Problem Resolution Written Communications Scope: Responsible for establishing appropriate methods through project planning, analysis, pr...

Iterators and policy definition for iteration type
I've wrote an iterator for my class "Seg" and and the class has an member typedef that defines that iterator typedef SegIter iterator; Everything used the standard way of definining iterator from STL SegIter is defined like this : class SegIter : public std::iterator<std::bidirectional_iterator_tag, Seg*> { ..... } Seg objects are segment from an interval tree. When defining a region to iterate from, let's say seg1->begin() to Seg2->end(), you can so such with an unrolled loop Seg::iterator iter; for(iter = seg1->begin(), iter != seg2->End(), iter++) ...

[rfc-dist] [Correction] RFC 5571 on Softwire Hub and Spoke Deployment Framework with Layer Two Tunneling Protocol Version 2 (L2TPv2)
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5571 Title: Softwire Hub and Spoke Deployment Framework with Layer Two Tunneling Protocol Version 2 (L2TPv2) Author: B. Storer, C. Pignataro, Ed., M. Dos Santos, B. Stevant, Ed., L. Toutain, J. Tremblay Status: Standards Track Date: June 2009 Mailbox: bstorer@cisco.com, cpignata@cisco.com, ...

Re: Re: [9fans] Re: interesting potential targets for plan 9 and/or inferno
> From: "Joel C. Salomon" <joelcsalomon@gmail.com> > > So all we need is a new Operating Systems textbook using Plan 9 for > example code? Can't help you soon with Plan 9, but I am working on one that includes a nice sampling of Inferno internals. Now, I did have to compromise a little and also include Linux the same way. If the current schedule holds up, it should be out around August. BLS ...

Iterators and reverse iterators
template<class RanAccIt> void some_algorithm(RanAccIt begin, RanAccIt end) { // this algorithm involves calling std::lexicographical_compare // on range [begin, end), and on reverse of this range // (i.e. as rbegin, rend was passed) } How can I call lexicographical_compare inside the function so that it traverses the range backwards? The ideal would be to somehow make reverse iterators from normal iterators, but I can't see a way to do it (even though the iterators are random access, so backwards iteration is fully supported). The only way I see is to pass reverse i...

Iterator to list of iterators
I'm having trouble to access a list of iterators to other list. See the sample code below for more clarification: class A { public: A() {} int f() { } }; class B { public: list<list<A>::iterator> lList; }; To run through the list I can create an iterator to this list. But I need to access the information contained in these iterators. list<list<A>::iterator>::iterator it; it = lList.begin(); Now I have a iterator to an iterator of a list of the class A type. How can I do to get access to the member f() using the iterator it? Thanks ...