what's a troll

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

What's a troll...I've seen mention of this a few times.  I know it's a slam
at a particular type of newsgroup poster, hopefully not newbies asking
questions about trolling...

0
Reply mtm (1) 12/17/2004 7:44:17 PM

See related articles to this posting

"mtm" <mtm@work.com> wrote in message
> What's a troll...I've seen mention of this a few times.  I know it's a
> slam at a particular type of newsgroup poster, hopefully not newbies
> asking questions about trolling...

Google for "troll faq". There's lots of material. I particularly
like the poem someone wrote. Then there's the Flame
Warrior's site: http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

Briefly, a troll is someone who deliberately posts material
that will cause lots of inflamatory responses. His goal is
to get responses. The usual result of not dealing with them
is that the serious posters figure they don't need the hassle,
and go elsewhere.

On a moderated newsgroup or mailing list (like the
extremeprogramming Yahoo list) it's the moderator's
job to deal with them. On any list, the best way of
dealing with a troll is to completely ignore him.
Don't reply, don't comment. Real trolls will eventually
go away with the quite treatment.

John Roth
XP mailing list moderator

0
Reply John 12/17/2004 8:34:06 PM
comp.extreme-programming 1463 articles. 2 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Trolls trolling trolls
I noticed that zara, aka james, has been trolling trolls like John Slade and such. He must be getting very bored to troll other trolls. ...

On Trolls and Trolling
What motivates a Troll? Trolls like to cause arguments... Why is this? Because trolls want attention. Trolls get a sense of achievement and power when somebody replies to their post. Trolls like to be insulting, because they are faceless, anonymous and can say what they like without fear of reprisals. These people are Bored Some trolls actually secretly agree with the party they are attempting to get a rise from, but hide it because winding people up is more fun for them. Precious few trolls actually *believe* what they say, a lot of them don't actually hold an opinion, they just like ...

To Troll or Not To Troll
> Yet Another Python Troll (the ivory tower reference, as well as the > abrupt shift from complaining about keywords to multiprocessing), I > have to point out that Python does add new keywords, it has done so in > the past, and there was a considerable amount of warning, including an > automated deprecation warning in the very version you are going to > recommend to your "customers' (I don't actually think you have any > customers).=20 ROFL! I'm sorry, you're right -- this has all been a figment of my imagination... http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.p...

RE: To Troll or Not To Troll
> I still would have to call your management of the problem considerably > into question - your expertise at writing mathematical software may > not be in question, but your skills and producing and managing a > software product are. You have nobody at your organization, which > sells a product that relies on Python, who follows python-dev? Or who > even reads the changelogs for new python versions? You should have > known about the "as" keyword change *over a year ago*, even if the > import bug was masking the deprecation warning. Everything else aside, > ...

Why the CSMA trolls troll
After due consideration, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that our current group of trolls: Stewie, Muahman, and zara as well as their various sockpuppets: Yorge, "Sockpuppet", et al, troll simply because they lack the breadth and depth of knowledge, coupled with an insufficient intelligence to actually DEBATE these issues. All they can do is hit and run after spending untold hours searching for any negative articles that they can find about Apple and the Mac. The funny part is that they are so clueless that the "ammunition" that they find is usually wrong,...

[Troll] Trolls in a frenzy
Lots of shit getting caught in my filters, this morning... Poor trolls - a bunch of pathetic, shitty losers and assholes, happy to found found others just like themselves. -- "And to remind you, YOU use Windows at work. Your hypocrisy is astonishing." - "Hadron" Quack On 10/10/2013 14:29, chrisv wrote: > Lots of shit getting caught in my filters, this morning... That's an interesting term for your underwear. > Poor trolls - a bunch of pathetic, shitty losers and assholes, happy > to found found others just like themselves. And you h...

[Troll] Trolls frothing
Every post made in the last two hours was filtered, here. Heh. On 10/22/13 11:00 AM, in article j7fd6992bjg72tegk9dnjaa8iaknpm7m78@4ax.com, "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote: > Every post made in the last two hours was filtered, here. Heh. > Why do you even post such things... other than to brag to your herd? It makes no sense. I do not believe I have ever announced which posts I read and which I ignore... or what system I use to have posts flagged for my reading. I have noted I have some posts set to "auto-read" (the closest my reader ...

[troll] Trolls frothing?
Nothing is getting past my filters, for the last couple hours... "Ezekiel" thinks this guy is reasonable and honest: -- "You Linux/OSS wackjobs should be held liable for spreading viruses and malware across the world, via your sendmail and postfix crapware." - DumFSck On 7/9/2013 11:43 AM, chrisv wrote: > Nothing is getting past my filters, for the last couple hours... > > "Ezekiel" thinks this guy is reasonable and honest: > turdv wrote: <snip> http://www.troll.me/images/giant-turd/wishes-in-one-hand-looks-like-you-already...

Why the CSMA trolls troll #2
After due consideration, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that our current group of trolls: Stewie, Muahman, and zara as well as their various sockpuppets: Yorge, "Sockpuppet", et al, troll simply because they lack the breadth and depth of knowledge, coupled with an insufficient intelligence to actually DEBATE these issues. All they can do is hit and run after spending untold hours searching for any negative articles that they can find about Apple and the Mac. The funny part is that they are so clueless that the "ammunition" that they find is usually wrong, hopless...

COLA trolls and troll feeders
http://colatrolls.blogspot.com Trolls post meaningless pointers. -- Martha Adams [cola 2007 Apr 29] "Robert Parsonage" <robp@gmail.com> wrote in message news:i9mdndtnUf5qaa7bnZ2dnUVZ8vidnZ2d@giganews.com... > http://colatrolls.blogspot.com > On Apr 28, 6:29 pm, Robert Parsonage <r...@gmail.com> wrote: > http://colatrolls.blogspot.com I think the site is too hard on the supposed troll feeders. It's a tough call sometimes whether just to ignore a bunch of lies that are out there, or to try to counter them. It all depends on whether you think they w...

[Troll] Why the trolls are always so angry.
http://www.dilbert.com/2011-01-09/ "Have you ever noticed that clarity makes people angry?" -- E Pluribus Unix On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 10:40:42 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xzoozy.com> wrote: > http://www.dilbert.com/2011-01-09/ > "Have you ever noticed that clarity makes people angry?" What makes a COLA regular so goofy? Have you ever noticed the hypocrite named Ahlstrom? He should point himself out as being a troll. -- posted with a Droid Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xzoozy.com> writes: > http://www.dilbe...

[Troll] Froth, trolls, froth!
I am blissfully unaware. -- I can resist anything but temptation. On 5/1/2011 1:35 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote: > I am blissfully unaware. uh huh... last time I counted 1/2 your posts were about trolls. Check. Chris Ahlstrom wrote: > I am blissfully unaware. "Me too!" <grin> -- XPN :: http://xpn.altervista.org "Microsoft has vast resources, literally billions of dollars in cash, or liquid assets reserves. Microsoft is an incredibly successful empire built on the premise of market dominance with low-quality goods." -- Former White House adviser Richa...

MS browser troll troll
Found in Apache 2.0's httpd-ssl.conf: # o sl-unclean-shutdown: # This forces an unclean shutdown when the connection is closed, i.e. # no SSL close notify alert is send or allowed to received. This # violates the SSL/TLS standard but is needed for some brain-dead # browsers. Use this when you receive I/O errors because of the # standard approach where mod_ssl sends the close notify alert. # # o ssl-accurate-shutdown: # This forces an accurate shutdown when the connection is closed, i.e. # a SSL close notify alert is send and mod_ssl waits for the close # notify ...

[Troll] COLA trolls are weak
They don't make this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notable_Usenet_personalities No DFS. No Hadron. No billwg or amicus_curious. No TAB or Psyc Geek. No Snit. Not even flatfish or /any/ of his pseudo-nyms. Hell, even Tholen did not make it. You guys are /pathetic/. Perhaps you should consider some positive postings for a change. You're not doing to well with the trolling. -- Recently deceased blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan "comes to" after his death. He sees Jimi Hendrix sitting next to him, tuning his guitar. "Holy cow," he thinks to himself...

Why the CSMA trolls troll #3
After due consideration, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that our current group of trolls: Stewie, Muahman, and zara as well as their various sockpuppets: Yorge, "Sockpuppet", et al, troll simply because they lack the breadth and depth of knowledge, coupled with an insufficient intelligence to actually DEBATE these issues. All they can do is hit and run after spending untold hours searching for any negative articles that they can find about Apple and the Mac. The funny part is that they are so clueless that the "ammunition" that they find is usually wrong, hopless...

Troll
Hi, y'all! A troll threw out some bait. I'm surprised at the two who bit on it. Willi "Willi Kusche" <a2@wilserv.com> wrote in message news:5e7193b4.0402090500.8a00923@posting.google.com... : Hi, y'all! : : A troll threw out some bait. I'm surprised at the two who bit on it. : : Willi Was that a shot??? Bill G. --- This email ain't infected, dude! Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.576 / Virus Database: 365 - Release Date: 1/31/04 ...

Troll
The bottom line with our troll is this: Don't interact with what he says. Never do this. If you want to bother with him at all, focus only on his behavior, never, never on his subject matter. It's important to understand his MO: how he works, what his goal is. His intent is to provoke and disrupt. The text that he uses to accomplish this is irrelevant. He hides behind a fake name and a fake address: untraceable. You'll notice that he never replies about his behavior as pointed out repeatedly by the people he provokes; his posts show no changes at all, for example,...

[Troll] Filthy troll attacks his superior
> lying asshole "-hh" wrote: >> >> So then let's speak about *you*: Poor trolls, filthy, *lying* bastards that they are. Faced with a FOSS advocate who is reasonable, knowledgable and polite, who is, honestly, unassailable, they must conjure-up a charge of "hypocrisy", because this person does not scold advocates who are not so "nice". Meanwhile the assholes, the mental defectives, the shameless liars, the hypocrites, that are the cola-trolls, march in lock-step, never saying a bad word about each other, indeed *supporting* each other, despit...

Hay, Uni is a troll, get it, a troll
He simply gets his jollies by making people angry. If no one ever responded to one of his posts again inside of six months he would be gone. You respond and he has an orgasm, end of story. On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:21:43 -0400, Uni <no.email@no.email.invalid> wrote: >ErrolGibbs wrote: >> He simply gets his jollies by making people angry. > >Making? Nonsense. You people are already angry, since I'm superior :-) > > >> >> If no one ever responded to one of his posts again inside of six months he >> would be gone. >> >> You respond a...

[Troll] Big Tool is ignorant troll
Uncloak the little bugger and you shall see. -- You haven#t exposed any troll lies. All you have done is appear to be a complete dickhead time and time again. -- "Hadron" the no bad-language hypocrite, in <gi1ptd$931$4@reader.motzarella.org> On 1/5/2012 7:44 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote: <snipped> LOL! I got him to respond. Pop goes the weasel Ahlstrom and the weasel Ahlstrom goes pop. Like I said, this bye bye crap from Ahlstrom his a lying smoke-screen from him. :) On 1/5/2012 7:44 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote: <snipped> Now watch his main man bra grabb...

COLA trolls and troll feeders #2
http://colatrolls.blogspot.com ...

[OT] Why our COLA trolls are not ordinary trolls
As of late, I see a few of our trolls, particularly Flatfish (Moshe Goldfarb - nymthief of a holocaust survivor victim and many other nyms), Hadron and DFS have morphed to Eternal-September (formerly Motzarella) in order to avoid being successfully LART'ed. After careful observation over the past several years, following are some of my conclusions. Following is an archive from http://multinombres.com.ar/alttroll.html It regards trolling. Following is stated about traditional trolling: From Part One: [quote] 1c) Why do trolls troll? There are as many reasons as there are trolls. Man...

[Troll] Blast from the Past: Trolling in 2004
"I defend any monopoly. It's a free market. People chose Microsoft software." - General Protection Fault "Boo hoo. That's business." - General Protection Fault "I just think antitrust laws are for weenies." - General Protection Fault Hmm.... Who else likes to use the word "weenie"? stupid rat shit "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:vj185797untm3vlsj7e557j85esvir3lv8@4ax.com... > "I defend any monopoly. It's a free market. People chose Microsoft > software." - General Pr...

COLA trolls and troll feeders #3
http://colatrolls.blogspot.com ...

[Troll] Trolls currently being censored in cola
Adam Gansefoort Anonymous Big Steel Bran Wiggins Cola Zealot Dave U. Random Desk Rabbit DFS Dr. John Grubor dvd Ezekiel flatfish+++ Frank Slootweg Goblin GreyCloud Hadron -hh Jay Songbird Jaybird Jeff-Relf.Me jlungo33 Justin L.W. Larry * Lungo Marti Van Lin Michael Moroney Nomen Nescio Onion Knight owl RayLopez99 Silver Slimer Snit Steve Carroll White Spirit Censored! LOL -- "The public domain doesnt need some spamming hypocrite like you dirtying up the ether with your closed minded, paranoid and anti freedom filters." - "Hadron&quo...