what's a troll

What's a troll...I've seen mention of this a few times.  I know it's a slam
at a particular type of newsgroup poster, hopefully not newbies asking
questions about trolling...

0
mtm (1)
12/17/2004 7:44:17 PM
comp.extreme-programming 1465 articles. 0 followers. editor (304) is leader. Post Follow

"mtm" <mtm@work.com> wrote in message
> What's a troll...I've seen mention of this a few times.  I know it's a
> slam at a particular type of newsgroup poster, hopefully not newbies
> asking questions about trolling...

Google for "troll faq". There's lots of material. I particularly
like the poem someone wrote. Then there's the Flame
Warrior's site: http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

Briefly, a troll is someone who deliberately posts material
that will cause lots of inflamatory responses. His goal is
to get responses. The usual result of not dealing with them
is that the serious posters figure they don't need the hassle,
and go elsewhere.

On a moderated newsgroup or mailing list (like the
extremeprogramming Yahoo list) it's the moderator's
job to deal with them. On any list, the best way of
dealing with a troll is to completely ignore him.
Don't reply, don't comment. Real trolls will eventually
go away with the quite treatment.

John Roth
XP mailing list moderator

0
John

Disapointed in the trolls
You'd think that in the past month or two, with all the searching for bad aspects of Lion, one of you (assuming there isn't in reality just one one you) would have noticed that not only is it rather hard for someone with a dial up connection to get Lion, but once they do it kills their Apple USB modem. That was a nasty shock last night :) I was going to downgrade today, but luckily found out some third party modems still worked so picked up a Zoom and all is well. (the problem is Lion is now all 64 bit and the Apple modem is 32 bits. It'll work if you force a boot into 32...

If I was A Troll
I'd do a much better job. Maybe I'd swim along and break my nose every second corner. -- .___ .__ __| _/_______ _|__|____ ____ ____ ____ / __ |/ __ \ \/ / \__ \ / \_/ ___\/ __ \ / /_/ \ ___/\ /| |/ __ \| | \ \__\ ___/ \____ |\___ >\_/ |__(____ /___| /\___ >___ > \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ ...

[News] Patent Trolls and Abusers Vote on Patent Reform (Fox and Henhouse)
Lawmakers take aim at patent speculators ,----[ Quote ] | Passage of patent reform would certainly placate many technology companies, | while angering critics who fear a trampling of the property rights of | relatively powerless inventors. `---- http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/lawmakers-take-aim-boom-frivolous/story.aspx?guid=%7B269C4D12-1D90-4E2C-90C8-DB8DD8AB9744%7D&siteid=yhoof http://tinyurl.com/2l7nvq Google leaps on patent reform bandwagon ,----[ Quote ] | Today, some of the biggest names in high-tech have their eyes on the nation's | capital, where lawmakers are b...

What is it with the Brown Zune, Trolls and Vulgar Suggestions?
Some trolls make a big deal out of a brown Zune, suggesting that it's a POS. But people drive brown cars, have brown picture frames, eat from brown dishes, have brown dogs, and live in brown houses and no one complains about that. The POS thing is a mean spirited bad rap. On Sep 15, 10:40 pm, "gimme_this_gimme_t...@yahoo.com" <gimme_this_gimme_t...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Some trolls make a big deal out of a brown Zune, suggesting that it's > a POS. > > But people drive brown cars, have brown picture frames, eat from brown > dishes, have brown dogs, and l...

Beware of these trolls
These posters are obvious trolls, most names are anagrams of something containing the word "troll". Don�t react to the posts of this guy, it�s the same troll over and over : Reltih Floda (Adolf Hitler backwards) raupico@yahoo.com Tom R. Rastell (anagram of Master Troll) eneg_doowtrop@yahoo.com Peter Mollror (anagram of Troll Emperor) pellus_torr@yahoo.com (anagram of Super Troll) Carl Philtmoon (anagram of Troll Champion) masheg_solea@yahoo.com.hk (anagram of Mega Asshole) Tim Spujum (anagram of Shit Troll shifted 1 letter up) sluggosnake@yahoo.co.nz other obvious trolls are Lo...

Why the CSMA trolls troll #3
After due consideration, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that our current group of trolls: Stewie, Muahman, and zara as well as their various sockpuppets: Yorge, "Sockpuppet", et al, troll simply because they lack the breadth and depth of knowledge, coupled with an insufficient intelligence to actually DEBATE these issues. All they can do is hit and run after spending untold hours searching for any negative articles that they can find about Apple and the Mac. The funny part is that they are so clueless that the "ammunition" that they find is usually wrong, hopless...

CLOGWOG STALKER NYMSHIFTER TROLL #2
Name: clogwog Traits: * Pathetic attention seeker * Mostly uses mail to news gateways for anonymity * Frequently nymshifts * Habitual liar * Homophobic * Possibly Dutch [Thanks to xxxxxxx for most of the clogwog details] Some of its nyms: Clogwog, Peer Geilzeever, Nicodemus Kwaadenkloot, Gozewienus Smegmasmuller, Arsene van Tiethuysen, Deodatus Kuttenvanger, Olivier Anusjager, Quirinus Pukkelpenis, Gradus Kanusmans, Berend van het Aarshouweel, Driekus van 't Lullenhof, Derk den Klotsoksel, Hentje Kotskameel, Arie Drollenboer, Wullum Droogkloot, Peer van der Ber...

Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 22nd of October, 2011.
ngstats.pl version 1.35 Written by Roy Culley. Contributions from Mark Kent. Modifications by Homer, 2007 - 2011. Published under the authority of 7, President of COLA. All Hail the President! This report covers 271 articles received by this system to newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy [1] ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Toplist of Posters Pos Poster Msgs Bytes Quoted 1. Homer <usenet@slated.org> 57 88058 24% 2. RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> ...

When trolls appear

You trolls and fan boys are right...
....this Apple pay thing will never get off the ground: <http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/03/navy-federal-usaa-us-bank-others-kick-off-second-wave-of-apple-pay-rollouts> :-) ...

To Troll or Not To Troll
> Yet Another Python Troll (the ivory tower reference, as well as the > abrupt shift from complaining about keywords to multiprocessing), I > have to point out that Python does add new keywords, it has done so in > the past, and there was a considerable amount of warning, including an > automated deprecation warning in the very version you are going to > recommend to your "customers' (I don't actually think you have any > customers).=20 ROFL! I'm sorry, you're right -- this has all been a figment of my imagination... http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.p...

Windoze Wanker Troll
8:[Ivan Mctavis] The Sick World Of Linux Users. Happy Wanking in the Loo. 31:[Peter K\xf6hlma] 19:[Ivan Mctavis] 31:[Postmaster ] 35:[Red PIll ] 15:[Ivan Marsh ] 17:[Ivan Mctavis] 22:[Julie ] 20:[The Ghost In] ~ Look at the idiot troll talking to its own sock-puppets (the only 'people' that even bother to read its shit). Now THAT'S public masturbation. Hey FOOL: We don't care what you think of Linux. You are simply not qualified to judge it. Not even close. The fact is, that you can't learn to use Linux because you spend your whole life posting shit on th...

The Liars, The Idiots, The Assholes and The Trolls
Let's see Who's Who on cola: 7: Idiot Asshole Lying Troll AZ Nomad: Asshole Liar billwg: Asshole DFS: Asshole Gidget: Idiot Lying Asshole Hadron: Asshole Homer: Idiot Asshole Liar HPT: Idiot JEDEDIAH: Liar Jerry McBride: Idiot jim: Idiot Kent: Lying Idiot Kier: Asshole Linonut: Idiot Asshole Moshe: Asshole Peter Kohlmann: Asshole Idiot Liar Rasker: Lying Idiot Asshole rayLopez99: Idiot Lying Asshole Rex Ballard: Lying Troll Robin T. Cox: Idiot Liar RonB: Idiot Asshole Liar Schestowitz: Lying Idiot spike1: Idiot Asshole thufir: Idiot (list is composed of consistent and/or longtime co...

TROLLS
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS . SIMPLES . ...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Patent on "Big Brother", Acacia Troll Keeps Attacking
Acacia December 2007 Update ,----[ Quote ] | Turning to our busiest patent troll in 2007, Acacia, it kept up momentum in | December with new lawsuits. | | [...] | | So, let's get this straight. Acacia, a California company located in CDCA, is | an exclusive licensee who has sued 19 defendants, who are located in 17 | different judicial districts (including CDCA) `---- http://trolltracker.blogspot.com/2008/01/acacia-december-2007-update.html Microsoft readies Hal 9000 ,----[ Quote ] | Judging from a recent patent application, Microsoft hopes to build some sort | of "activi...

Have all of the trolls already been fired/laid off?
I noticed yesterday the troll activity seemed to have fallen off. Not that I've seen them and then saw less, but that I see how many posts there are and how many are left after they've all been killfiled. And that number has dropped a lot. What happened? Did MICRO$~1 have a massive layoff right after they announced they lost money? Did a lot of the trolls finally give up and go back to panhandling for a living? Were they so bummed that they did the honorable thing by removing themselves from the gene pool? I'm not really all that interested. Curious? A little. But I won't los...

The Flatfish Gary Stewart Troll #2 242643
http://colatrolls.blogspot.com Big Pussy Name: Big Pussy (aka Moshe Goldfarb, flatfish, Gary Stewart, ...) Traits: * Just another flatfish nym * http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/flatfish-troll.html Leroy Jefferson Name: Leroy Jefferson (aka Moshe Goldfarb, flatfish, Gary Stewart, ...) Traits: * Just another flatfish nym * http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/flatfish-troll.html Juan Name: Juan (aka Moshe Goldfarb, flatfish, Gary Stewart, ...) Traits: * Just another flatfish nym * http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/flatfish-...

ok you trolls - answer this one
I have a domain with dozens of Windows XP Pro PC's. The users log on to the domain. When they logon the batch file logon.bat is run. I want to put something is this file which will defrag the users C: drives as they log on. 1. please don't answer defrag.exe c: The users do not have administrator permissions (obviously) as they are users. Also we have enabled group policies to only allow the users certain privileges. 2. Please do not mention anything which involves running around to all the PC's. I want a command/commands which I can add to the logon.bat file only. 3...

Barnard College's freshman John the Troll must feel out of place
Dear John the umpteenth thousandth troll on COLA, This is directly from Barnard College's Web site: "Four characteristics distinguish Barnard College: It is a liberal arts college with a long tradition of excellence; it is part of a great research university; it is in New York City, and *it is a college for women*." http://www.barnard.columbia.edu/about/btoday.html The only "Law Studies" available is confined to an exclusionary pre-law program. You need to talk to Dean Kuan Tsu to enroll in this course and it is not even remotely connected to any Law curriculum. Yo...

Trolls trolling trolls
I noticed that zara, aka james, has been trolling trolls like John Slade and such. He must be getting very bored to troll other trolls. ...

Troll
The bottom line with our troll is this: Don't interact with what he says. Never do this. If you want to bother with him at all, focus only on his behavior, never, never on his subject matter. It's important to understand his MO: how he works, what his goal is. His intent is to provoke and disrupt. The text that he uses to accomplish this is irrelevant. He hides behind a fake name and a fake address: untraceable. You'll notice that he never replies about his behavior as pointed out repeatedly by the people he provokes; his posts show no changes at all, for example,...

[troll] Trolls frothing?
Nothing is getting past my filters, for the last couple hours... "Ezekiel" thinks this guy is reasonable and honest: -- "You Linux/OSS wackjobs should be held liable for spreading viruses and malware across the world, via your sendmail and postfix crapware." - DumFSck On 7/9/2013 11:43 AM, chrisv wrote: > Nothing is getting past my filters, for the last couple hours... > > "Ezekiel" thinks this guy is reasonable and honest: > turdv wrote: <snip> http://www.troll.me/images/giant-turd/wishes-in-one-hand-looks-like-you-already...

What's Better? Counter Troll Lies, or Ignore Them
Ignoring them just lets them die on the vine, propagandized lies or not. Attempting to counter them brings more attention to them and apparently helps to spread their "points" (stupid as they are) around the internet. So I suppose it's better to ignore them. Sure is fun to bait the little weasles though. Anyway. I'm filtering them and it works. flyer wrote: >Ignoring them just lets them die on the vine, propagandized lies or not. > >Attempting to counter them brings more attention to them and apparently >helps to spread their "points" (stupid as...

Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 10th of May, 2008.
ngstats.pl version 1.30 Written by Roy Culley. Contributions from Mark Kent. Modifications by Homer, 2007 - 2008. This report covers 993 articles received by this system to newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy [1] ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Toplist of Posters Pos Poster Msgs Bytes Quoted 1. Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> 329 1248359 4% 2. Ruben - Attention-seeking .Net k00k 108 637603 6% 3. The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@sirius.tg00suus 75 161...

Is Nobody A Troll?
Sure seems that way. An even bigger ignoramus than Peter Kohlmann. On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 7:50:52 PM UTC-5, jeremywalma...@gmail.com wrote: > Sure seems that way. An even bigger ignoramus than Peter Kohlmann. ditto! ...