what's a troll

What's a troll...I've seen mention of this a few times.  I know it's a slam
at a particular type of newsgroup poster, hopefully not newbies asking
questions about trolling...

0
mtm (1)
12/17/2004 7:44:17 PM
comp.extreme-programming 1463 articles. 1 followers. editor (304) is leader. Post Follow

"mtm" <mtm@work.com> wrote in message
> What's a troll...I've seen mention of this a few times.  I know it's a
> slam at a particular type of newsgroup poster, hopefully not newbies
> asking questions about trolling...

Google for "troll faq". There's lots of material. I particularly
like the poem someone wrote. Then there's the Flame
Warrior's site: http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

Briefly, a troll is someone who deliberately posts material
that will cause lots of inflamatory responses. His goal is
to get responses. The usual result of not dealing with them
is that the serious posters figure they don't need the hassle,
and go elsewhere.

On a moderated newsgroup or mailing list (like the
extremeprogramming Yahoo list) it's the moderator's
job to deal with them. On any list, the best way of
dealing with a troll is to completely ignore him.
Don't reply, don't comment. Real trolls will eventually
go away with the quite treatment.

John Roth
XP mailing list moderator

0
John

It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?
IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so. We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal Administrator sitting his i...

S*S'-> make a code program of DIFF (S) for S to excute expression:S*S, ( S=vector, S'=dS/dt). ideas to all?
hello everyone, now i need a help of ideas for a program style from all to find :S*S'. here we would not be able to use directly Diff( S) cuz of error of unsame size of S & diff( S). soo i dlove to get any code PROGRAM STYLEs for function S' ( dS/dt) to Find S*S', with S: vector, for example as a begining input: t=0:10; S=2*t.^3 +3*t; Now make a code program to DEFINE S' by ALGORITHM of MATH. dear all, my question going well for understanding?? iam waiting for all. ( hey, give a trial into the world of Math of Algorithm for function & diveritative)-) ...

Including .so's and .a's in my program
I read somewhere that in order to use some header files (that are available for d/l) I must use either the .so or the .a file. It says that .so stands for Shared Object file (I knew that) and that .a stands for Archive file. But how am I supposed to include those files with my code? I don't think I can link them cuz I think I can only like object files (.o) but I may be wrong. And which one would you suggest? .so or .a? BTW: I'm using GCC 3.3.2 if that's of any help Thanks in advance, - cmad "Chris Mantoulidis" <cmad_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a8587dd9.0...

Error? s = assignin('base','s',tf('s'));
Hi, I need a little help here. Could anyone please tell me what is wrong with this command? s = assignin('base','s',tf('s')); The matlab syntax is -- assignin(ws, 'var', val) Basically I just want to add s=tf('s') into the base workspace. Jack "Jack" <Jack@Jill.com> wrote in message news:ef3e449.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP... > Hi, > I need a little help here. Could anyone please tell me what is wrong > with this command? > > s = assignin('base','s',tf('s')); > > The matlab syntax is -- as...

It's primitive; it's dumb; it's brittle--but it's AI.
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/aisource.html is a pathway to the http://code.google.com/p/mindforth AI project at Google Code. The AI is primitive because it has only enough features to demon- strate thinking. It is "dumb" inasmuch as it has barely any IQ. It is extremely brittle because the slightest change in the code can destroy the artificial mind crafted so painstakingly in Forth: Arthur -- http://agi-roadmap.org/Milestones -- ten years of progress. ...

A dumb mime with a 110 IQ? And it's different today because? It's not, you're being trolled.
how has your system been affected? You losing? Yes? Well, catch a clue, shitheads. He's drooling, he's about to go batshit. On Apr 19, 7:11 pm, T0ILET B0WL <wipeassabcdef...@yahoo.com> wrote: > how has your system been affected? > > You losing? > > Yes? > > Well, catch a clue, shitheads. > > He's drooling, he's about to go batshit. ...

I'm programming "Bard's Tale 4
Hi, I'm ForeverRent from Texas, a gay programmer and I'm currently raising funds on Kickstarter for "Bard's Tale 4 - Mystery of Tarjab's Wand". In this game, you have to find the mad god's "wand", which has been divided into 11 parts and which is hidden in the Bard's Tale multiverse. You have to search Skara Brae and numerous other locations through time and space for the pieces of the "wand". Can you re-assemble the "wand" and use it to defeat a great evil? The game will be released in January 2014. Stay t...

The Philadelphia Bar Association's Young Lawyers Division to Present 'The People's Law School,' a Six-Week Legal Education Program; Less Than A Week L
PHILADELPHIA, Sept 09, 2009 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ ---- Less than a week remains for citizens to pre-register for "The People's Law School," a six-week legal education program for those interested in learning about areas of the law affecting daily life. The program runs every Tuesday night, 6:15-8:30 p.m., from September 15 through October 20 and is presented by the Young Lawyers Division of the Philadelphia Bar Association. For more details www.technicaledu.blogspot.com ...

What's the Best Way to Time a Program's Execution?
I would like to tell how long it takes a piece of code I've written to execute. I thought class <Date> might help me with that, so to test that I wrote the following snippet of code: import java.util.Date; public class Loop { public static void main ( String[] arguments) { Date time; long start, loops, lp; if (arguments.length == 1) { loops = 1000000 * Long.parseLong( arguments[ 0]); time = new Date(); start = time.getTime(); for (lp = 0; lp < loops; lp++); System.out....

100's of frames and 100's of alpha's into transparant GIF or PNG's
I render game sprites/floor tiles using lightwave. I output the frames and I output an alpha-image so I can seperate the objects from the renderings. I used to combine the alpha and the render in photoshop by hand, as photoshop can only load one batch of source files in it's action-macros. Now that the spritecount has risen into the double digits, I'm looking for a way to combine 100's of frames and 100's of alpha's into transparant GIF or PNG's. I have had no luck in photoshop for this, it only lets me specify one source folder per action. Does anyone have a clever ...

Andy Rothwell's match program for Jim's emulator
guys (and hopefully Andy Rothwell if he's listening), Andy Rothwell (Prime R&D in the UK) wrote a program he called "match". It was like fgrep and it was very fast (included some self-modifying PMA IIRC). I don't suppose there is any chance of tracking it down? It would be nice to see it again... -Andrew Marlow -- There is an emerald here the size of a plover's egg! Don't top-post http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html Plain text mails only, please http://www.expita.com/nomime.html > Andy Rothwell (Prime R&D in the UK) w...

Python's __getattr__, Perl's autoload, Ruby's method_missing, and Smalltalk's #doesNotUnderstand
I'm still new here, and I just completed reading CLTL's documentation on packages and On Lisp's documentation on CLOS. It doesn't appear that Lisp has the equivalent of Python's __getattr__, Perl's autoload, Ruby's method_missing, and Smalltalk's #doesNotUnderstand. That is, there is no way I can do this (without new-function being defined): (new-function) and have it call some other function like this: (missing-symbol 'new-function) whose returning value will be evaluated as the value of new-function. Or did I miss something? Jonathan Gardner <...

1 to 20 with x number of 1's, 2's, 3's, ... 20's
This is probably a simple thing to do, so perhaps someone would send me in the right direction. I need to generate a list containing numbers from 1 to 20, say. But I cant just use A = 1:20, for example, because that provides me only one instance of each of the values. What I need is X instances for each value. For example, 5 ones, twos, threes, and so forth. Is there a simple command for this? Regards, Ulrik. On Sep 9, 10:52=A0am, "Ulrik Nash" <u...@sam.sdu.dk> wrote: > This is probably a simple thing to do, so perhaps someone would send me i= n the right dir...

The iPhone's features: What's new, what's not
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9733965-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt Unless you've cut yourself off from all media access this year, you know that on Friday, June 29 Apple will release its iPhone with AT&T. Ever since the device's unveiling last January, the tech world has been running in circles asking what the iPhone will be like, what it will do, and how it will do it. But because Apple hasn't been the leakiest of faucets when it comes to specs, the hype has resulted in a lot of speculation instead. Of course, that will all change in several days, as you can be sure everyone lucky...

Speaking of sum programs (let's keep Razi out of it) here's my version:
typedef struct KahanAdder_t { double sum_; /* The current working sum. */ double carry_; /* The carry from the previous operation */ double temp_; /* A temp used to capture residual bits of precision */ double y_; /* A temp used to capture residual bits of precision */ } KahanAdder_t; /* After each add operation, the carry will contain the additional */ /* bits that could be left out from the previous operation. */ void add(const double datum, KahanAdder_t * kp) { kp->y_ = datum - kp->carry_; kp->temp_ = kp->sum_ + kp->y_; kp->carry_ ...

Web resources about - what's a troll - comp.extreme-programming