DST to change or not to change?

Should the clocks be changed twice a year or not?
(not that we have much say in the matter)
Some think it saves lives by avoiding traffic accidents and note the
advantages of a coordinated timekeeping system for trade.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050811.wdaylight0810/BNStory/National

Since most of Canada is between north latitude 49 deg to 90 deg, and
the days and nights are longer the further north you go, the arguments
for saving daylight seem to be overwhelmed by the larger natural
changes.

OTOH DST is not needed at smaller latitudes in the tropics.
I would have guessed the Australians would have avoided the issue and
not changed, but they do.

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/g.html

Others think the changes themselves are the cause of more accidents as
people are adapting to the change for some time afterward. This site
claims up to a 5 day adjustment, but I find that the rule-of-thumb for
recovering from jet-lag of a day per hour of change seems reasonable.

This site proposes not changing twice a year.

http://www.standardtime.com/
http://www.standardtime.com/proposal.shtml
http://www.standardtime.com/quiz.shtml
http://www.standardtime.com/news.shtml

James

Hi Ron. I agree, the Vancouver Is., Victoria, and Vancouver area is
very beautiful. We very much enjoyed a week vacation there last year.
It rained the first day and we had blue skys the remainder of the week.
We did not have time to venture about the Island outside of Victoria
and Buchart Gardens (fantastic).

0
jbaloun
8/20/2005 6:32:48 PM
comp.software.year-2000 433 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

JRS:  In article <1124562768.185605.307140@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
, dated Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:32:48, seen in news:comp.software.year-2000,
jbaloun <yonatan62@yahoo.com> posted :

>Since most of Canada is between north latitude 49 deg to 90 deg, and
>the days and nights are longer the further north you go, the arguments
>for saving daylight seem to be overwhelmed by the larger natural
>changes.

Summer Time was first introduced at a latitude considerably greater than
that of any but the most thinly-inhabited part of Canada; it has been
used in the British Isles every year since 1916 (well, in 1968-71 we had
it in the Winter too), and the bulk of the Canadian population seems to
be further South than any part of the UK.

It's reasonable to consider the needs of most Canadians, who live where
DST is useful; but most square kilometres of Canada are uninhabited, and
so don't need DST.

--
 � John Stockton, Surrey, UK.  ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk   Turnpike v4.00   MIME. �
 Web  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms