                    Termination Systems
        Author:     R. Woundy, K. Marez
        Date:       December 2006
        Mailbox:    richard_woundy@cable.comcast.com,
                    kevin.marez@motorola.com
        Pages:      88
        Characters: 188220
        Obsoletes:  RFC2669
        See-Also:

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipcdn-device-mibv2-11.txt

This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
In particular, it defines a basic set of managed objects for Simple
Network Management Protocol (SNMP)-based management of Data Over Cable
Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS)-compliant Cable Modems and Cable
Modem Termination Systems.

This memo obsoletes RFC 2669.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the IP over Cable Data Network
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to IETF-REQUEST@IETF.ORG.  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to RFC-DIST-REQUEST@RFC-EDITOR.ORG.

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to rfc-info@RFC-EDITOR.ORG with the message body

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: rfc-info@RFC-EDITOR.ORG
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to RFC-Manager@RFC-EDITOR.ORG.  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
RFC-EDITOR@RFC-EDITOR.ORG.  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

rfc
12/22/2006 9:56:29 PM
comp.std.announce 2062 articles. 0 followers. rfc-editor (206) is leader. Post Follow

Do you have to have digital cable to have cable modem internet service?
Hello. Do you have to have digital cable service to have cable modem internet service? Right now, I have analog cable service and a dial-up account. Has anyone heard of this before? The cable company is Mediacom. I have not spoken with anyone from Mediacom. Thank you, Jason Whorton "Jason Whorton" <jason at microxl.com> wrote: > Hello. Do you have to have digital cable service to have cable modem > internet service? Right now, I have analog cable service and a dial-up > account. Has anyone heard of this before? The cable company is Mediacom. ...

[rfc-dist] RFC 4682 on Multimedia Terminal Adapter (MTA) Management Information Base for PacketCable- and IPCablecom-Compliant Devices
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 4682 Title: Multimedia Terminal Adapter (MTA) Management Information Base for PacketCable- and IPCablecom-Compliant Devices Author: E. Nechamkin, J-F. Mule Status: Standards Track Date: December 2006 Mailbox: enechamkin@broadcom.com, jf.mule@cablelabs.com Pages: 60 Characters: 137373 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-mtamib-09.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4682.txt This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet community. In particular, it defines a basic set of managed objects for Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)-based management of PacketCable- and IPCablecom-compliant Multimedia Terminal Adapter devices. [STANDARDS TRACK] This document is a product of the IP over Cable Data Network Working Group of the IETF. This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol. STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and ...

[rfc-dist] RFC 5428 on Management Event Management Information Base (MIB) for PacketCable- and IPCablecom-Compliant Devices
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5428 Title: Management Event Management Information Base (MIB) for PacketCable- and IPCablecom-Compliant Devices Author: S. Channabasappa, W. De Ketelaere, E. Nechamkin Status: Standards Track Date: April 2009 Mailbox: Sumanth@cablelabs.com, deketelaere@tComLabs.com, enechamkin@broadcom.com Pages: 37 Characters: 78139 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-14.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5428.txt This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet community. In particular, it defines a basic set of managed objects for Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)-based management of events that can be generated by PacketCable- and IPCablecom-compliant Multimedia Terminal Adapter devices. [STANDARDS TRACK] This document is a product of the IP over Cable Data Network Working Group of the IETF. This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol. STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions for improvements. Please refer...

Do all cable companies bundle wireless routers into their cable modems for both digital phone and Internet services?
Hi. I recently got an Arris TG1672G cable modem from Time Warner Cable (TWC) for its recent faster Internet upgrades and having both digital phone (eMTA) and Internet services. However, it has a wireless router built in. I was not happy with that. The old slower Arris TM502G one didn't have a built in router, so I used a Netgear R6300 router which was nice. I found out that TWC didn't have any other cable modem models, with digital phone features and without their annoying internal wireless router. I read that these built in internal routers suck. I had to disable t...

Cable modem not working with TV cable plugged in
Hi! Two bedroom apartment, both bedrooms with TV outlets. Bedroom 1 has an analog TV enabled outlet, bedroom 2 runs a RoadRunner cable modem. This works fine, but I'd like to have a tiny TV-set hooked up in bedroom 2 too. There is TV signal coming from the outlet in bedroom 2, but surprisingly TV and cable modem don't want to work together at the same time (splitting the signal). TV works all the time but cable modem works only when "to-TV" cable is unplugged. Yes, I bought a good splitter (2GHz monster cable for $25) - did not help. Then I tried an amplified 4-o...

Serial cross over cable and null modem cable
Is a null modem cable different from a serial crossover cable? I am into a project that calls for a serial crossover cable, and I'd like to now what types of crossover cables they are? The connection is wired like this. The 1,6,8 are linked together and connected with 4 on the other side and vice versa. 7 on both sides is unused. 2 - 3 3 - 2 5 - 5 1 6 - 4 8 1 4 - 6 8 Does this type of linkage have some sort of classification? <mydejamail@yahoo.co.uk> wrote > Is a null modem cable different from a serial crossover cable? > >...

Question: IS a Null Modem Cable the same as a Laplink Cable?
Is a Null modem cable the same as a laplink cable? If not, whats the difference? Thank you. Paul Want to Fix Something? http://www.manuals4you.com Previously Yikes!ItsIke <Yikes!ItsIke@younameit.com> wrote: > Is a Null modem cable the same as a laplink cable? > If not, whats the difference? Haha, good question! Unfortunalely there is no correct answer. The problem is that there are different ways to connect the handshaking lines. All these can be called a "null-modem cable". All might be called a "laplink cable" by some vendor or other. ...

cables(cross-over cable or not)....
We have two(2) Cisco3620 routers. One is our gateway router with a FastEthernet card facing inward. The other has 2 FastEthernet cards in it, one facing our internal network, and one facing the gateway router. This router is being used to traffic shape. How should the 2 FastEthernet cards be connected? ie. by a crossover cable, or both pluged into a 100-Mb switch? Note, someone told me that a cross over cable reduces the speed to 10-Mb single duplex, is this true? Captain wrote: > How should the 2 FastEthernet cards be > connected? > > ie. by a crossover cable, or >...

cable Internet cable
I got a wireless router, so I'm trying to replace my cable Internet cable with a shorter one (about 6 feet). Anyone know if this will work? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4117994&st=Coaxial+Cable&type=product&id=1051384699030 bob@coolgroups.com wrote: > I got a wireless router, so I'm trying to replace my cable Internet > cable with a shorter one (about 6 feet). > > Anyone know if this will work? > > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4117994&st=Coaxial+Cable&type=product&id=1051384699030 That&#...

Fircet Cable via LPT NULL modem cable
Hello, I bought a LPT NULL MODEM cable. I try to set a file transfer between Win XP and Win 98. On Win XP i used the network wizard to use Direct Cable utility, i laucnh Direct Cable utility on win 98. I tried Win 98 as server and host and same for Win XP. This is not working. Time out. Thanks in advance; ...

Fircet Cable via LPT NULL modem cable
Hello, I bought a LPT NULL MODEM cable. I try to set a file transfer between Win XP and Win 98. On Win XP i used the network wizard to use Direct Cable utility, i laucnh Direct Cable utility on win 98. I tried Win 98 as server and host and same for Win XP. This is not working. Time out. Thanks in advance; ...

3-way splitter with cable modem and digital cable
I just installed high speed internet for my Dad's computer. In the attic, the main cable feeds a 2-way splitter that has one leg to the cable modem, the other leg goes to an amp feeding a 4 way splitter feeding TVs in the house, and one of those legs goes to another 2-way splitter behind the digital cable box (one leg to box, other leg to TV for watching other channels while recording) We noticed that the digital cable isn't looking quite right, and I think it's likely the amp that feeds it (even if it is supposed to be compatible with digital). It used to be fed off the ...

Spec on coax cable for DTV & cable modem
I will be renovating my home soon, and want to re-do the wiring infrastructure. When I look at what companies are offering I see all kinds of RG6U: dual shield, quad shield, some that will pass up to 3GHZ bandwidth, etc. What are the specifics on the RG6U coax that I will need for a digital cable box & cable modem (TWC New York)? I do not see any reason to get a higher quality/bandwidth cable then what is currently being used by TWC to build in some growing room for the future, as TWC would have to do lots of rewiring of their current customers to make any major changes to the spec. Do ...

LINKSYS BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router
We're building a house and considering wiring with twisted pair (CAT 5 or 5e). I'm thinking of using a LINKSYS BEFSR41 to share a cable modem connection between 3 or 4 computers, but I downloaded the manual and something it says worries me... "Because of the speed limitations of broadband internet connections, the Router's current hardware design supports 10 Mpbs Ethernet on its WAN rt." ---Note it says 10 Mpbs, not 100...apparently it supports 100 Mbps on the 'LAN side'. I thought Cable Modem supports something like 36 Mbps downstream. So if I us...

Comcast
My house previously had digital cable TV but we are now using basic and extended cable (A & B side with an old Jerrolds box). If I buy a self- install cable modem kit, will it have all the necessary connectors that I would need to get the cable modem working? Would I need to plug the cable modem into the A or B side cable (and if so would a regular splitter work for that)? Thanks. I think that the most dual cable systems use B for analog only and A for analog and digital services. I would connect the cable modem to the A side and it will most likely work. If you're ...

Connect cable modem to a hub / Conectar cable a un hub
To connect a cable modem (Motorola SB4200E SURFboard) to a hub, �I must use a normal or a crossover cable? ---------------- Para conectar un cable modem (Motorola SB4200E SURFboard) a un hub al puerto en cascada, �tengo que usar un cable normal o cruzado? ...

BX Electrical Cable with Data Cable
We're about to lease space for 3 years. The owner has told us the network is pretty new. Everything is Cat6, etc in a drop ceiling. However, inside the drop ceiling is the cable all mixed with BX Electrical Cable. The cable is not shielded. A part of the decision process is due to a good network for the space we plan to lease. Is is totally Bad for BX to be run parallel, near, etc data cable or will it still meet specs ? We're a small trading firm and need a robust network. If it is truly Cat6 it meets spec. A big part of the spec is to have the cables tested, certified and docume...

Sound cable versus data cable
When one installs two cd roms in a system is it auto configured for souns via the data cable ofr does one need to have a Y cable that connects the two outputs from the cdrom drives? I need to k ow how to do this/ How does one check to see if the sound channel is operative for both drives other than trying to play them? On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:47:06 GMT, J. P. Willis <jopwill@ix.netcom.com> wrote: > > >When one installs two cd roms in a system is it auto configured for >souns via the data cable ofr does one need to have a Y cable that >connects the two ...

Cable boxes' signals compared to cable modems' signals..
Hello. I was at my parents' place again, and was noticed some of their TWC's digital channels (e.g., HBO) were not always clear (pixellated, corruptions, etc.). It didn't matter which room too, through HDTVs' tuners or TWC's Motorola cable boxes, etc. I looked at Motorola's diagnostics and confused on how to read these technical info(rmation) compared to cable modems. There's a lot more than cable modems'! Am I only looking at their download and upload streams? I don't think I saw any SNR values? There were a long menu list of options! If...

sharing cable internet using the motorola surfboard cable modem and ICS
I am trying to share my cable internet connection with another computer. the modem is connected to my pc via the USB port. the two computers have a network operating and I can share files and play lan games on the network. The internet Connection sharing does not work though. I read in the xp support that this may have something to do with the Motorola Surfboard modem. anyone heard of this? has anyone here successfully shared there cable connection without a router or hub or switch, and if so, how did you go about it?? On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:18:53 +1000, "Paul" <paul@gooboo....

sharing cable internet using the motorola surfboard cable modem and ICS
I am trying to share my cable internet connection with another computer. the modem is connected to my pc via the USB port. the two computers have a network operating and I can share files and play lan games on the network. The internet Connection sharing does not work though. I read in the xp support that this may have something to do with the Motorola Surfboard modem. anyone heard of this? has anyone here successfully shared there cable connection without a router or hub or switch, and if so, how did you go about it?? On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:18:53 +1000, "Paul" <paul@gooboo....

DOCSIS QoS and Current Cable Modem Services
Can anyone tell me if the current cable service offerings incorporate any data rate contract (i.e. SLA)? In the "old" days a few years back, there used to be a draw back in using cable in terms of bandwidth sharing; your rate is NOT guaranteed. But I thought DOCSIS 1.1 introduced QoS that allows ISP to have service contract that changes this. If not now, anyone knows if this'd be coming anytime soon? Thanks, Raymond On 9 Aug 2004 09:04:28 -0700, Raymond Yeung wrote: > Can anyone tell me if the current cable service offerings incorporate any > data rate con...

What is the radius of service for cable modem service?
Hello. I have read that you have to be within 18,000 feet of a switching station for DSL service. Is there some radius to be within for cable modem service or can they use signal boosters of some sort? Thank you, Jason Whorton "Jason Whorton" <jason at microxl.com> wrote: > Hello. I have read that you have to be within 18,000 feet of a switching > station for DSL service. Is there some radius to be within for cable > modem service or can they use signal boosters of some sort? > Cable modems don't have the same distance limits as DSL, be...

For those who have Ambit cable modems on Time Warner Cable (TWC)'s RoadRunner (RR) ...
.... do you have freeze/lock ups during heavy downloads sometimes? It seems to be only happening with Ambit U10C018 cable modem model and started after TWC RR's PowerBoost was added to the service several months ago. Others and I reported this problem in the past like in: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24972154- http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24650236-Cable-modem-drops-connection-2-5-times-a-day.-Why- My cable modem logs during the lock up and after power cycling: http://pastie.org/1280877 and http://pastie.org/1199610 ... I am wondering if anyone else is seeing this pr...

Web resources about - [rfc-dist] RFC 4639 on Cable Device Management Information Base for Data-Over-Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) Compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems - comp.std.announce