Acorn User #2

Finnybank Ltd and Tau Press today announced the sale of Acorn User
magazine. Tau Press have been responsible for publishing Acorn User for
the last five years, mainly under the editorship of Steve Turnbull. The
magazine now passes into the hands of Finnybank Ltd who currently
produce Acorn Publisher magazine.

Steve Turnbull from Tau Press commented "I am very happy that John has
agreed to take over the publication of Acorn User. With Tau Press moving
into new areas we won.t be able to devote all our energies to it and a
change in publisher always generates new ideas and new viewpoints. You
can be sure that I will continue to use my own RISC OS machines and I
think we are all in for some interesting times."

John Cartmell, editor of Acorn Publisher magazine, confirmed that it was
Finnybank's intention to continue to produce Acorn User as a monthly
magazine available from newsagents or by subscription. There would be
changes to the magazine but the best of the current contents would be
retained and Steve Turnbull has been invited to continue to write for
the new magazine. Readers can also expect to see new contributors and
articles, with favourites returning from some years ago.

John commented, "Subscribers to Acorn Publisher may be pleased to hear
that there will be little change to the content of that magazine as a
consequence of our new purchase. As a result of our new acquisition we
will be able to offer a unique magazine format. Readers of both
magazines should know that Acorn Publisher is produced for printing
entirely on a RISC OS computer and the new Acorn User will be prepared
in the same way."

Finnybank Limited will be announcing details of the new Acorn User
format in the very near future and copies of this and subsequent press
releases will be available at <URL:http://www.finnybank.com/>.

All enquiries about Acorn User should now be directed to Finnybank Ltd.
Enquiries about subscriptions, back copies, advertising and editorial
copy should be sent to:

Finnybank Ltd
30 Finnybank Road, Sale M33 6LR
Tel: 0161 969 9820
Email: <URL:mailto:editor@finnybank.com>

About Acorn User

Acorn User is in its 22nd year of publication and throughout that time
has served as the general magazine for users of the BBC, Archimedes and
now RISC OS range of computers. It is published 13 times a year and is
available from newsagents in the UK, from local distributors overseas,
and by subscription. Tau Press have produced over 60 issues of Acorn
User.

About Acorn Publisher

Acorn Publisher is in its 10th year of issue and concentrates on the
graphics, desk top publishing, web design and publishing possibilities
of the RISC Operating System. Over the past year it has extended its
coverage to include other areas of RISC OS computing and non-platform
specific tutorials.

About the RISC Operating System

Originally developed by Acorn for their revolutionary Archimedes range
of computers, RISC OS is now used in a range of products including
desktop computers from three UK hardware developers (Castle Technology,
Microdigital, and RiscStation) and is available as a software emulator
running on Windows computers. The operating system is under current
development by Castle Technology Ltd for their Iyonix pc and under
licence by RISCOS Ltd for the other hardware developers. RISC OS
computers are used in a variety of critical commercial applications as
well as being available as home and business desktop computers.

Steve Turnbull, Director, Tau Press
28A Middle Hillgate, Stockport, SK1 3AY
Tel: 0161 429 8902
<URL:mailto:steve.turnbull@acornuser.com>

John Cartmell, Managing Director, Finnybank Ltd
30 Finnybank Road, Sale M33 6LR
0161 969 9820
<URL:mailto:editor@finnybank.com>

--
n.g.boalch@durham.ac.uk, Backup Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce.
Submissions to csaa@owlart.net

Acorn Publisher / Acorn User / Qercus
By now some people should have received their copy of Qercus - ie issue 268 of Acorn User or vol 10 issue 1 of Acorn Publisher. The additional printing numbers and distribution is new to us so we're not sure how long it will take to get to all subscribers or to be available in the shops. Some bulk mailings to overseas customers may not go until next week. Our experience so far with the database we inherited from Tau Press is that some customers will receive duplicate copies of the magazine whilst others will not receive one at all. We have been working hard to put right as many errors as we could identify but we know there are still some problems remaining. If you receive an extra issue will you please let us know and tell us which reference numbers are on the two (three/four!) labels so that we can put it right for next time. Please don't return any copies - donate duplicates to a friend, library, dentist/doctor's waiting room &c If you don't receive your copy (UK) then please do not let us know until the middle of next week; we have arranged to do *another* sweep of the database after the SW Show and may have sorted out outstanding problems by the time you call. Whilst far-flung Acorn User subscribers should receive their copies faster than before they should give it an extra week at least before reporting non-receipt. For this occasion reminders have been sent separately from the magazine and should have already been received by UK subscribers who n...

Qercus (Acorn User / Acorn Publisher) binders
The new Qercus binders will be available within 2 weeks and we're taking orders now. They are available in dark blue with the Qercus logo in gold on the spine. The binders will match previous Acorn Publisher binders but will hold 14 copies of the magazine so Qercus readers will have a spare string for notes and indexes whilst Acorn Publisher readers will have room for two years' issues including two annual special issues of Qercus. Qercus is well-worth collecting so order your binder today. Binders will cost 8.95 each inc UK postage and may (just) be available at Wakefield. Until the end of May new subscribers starting their subscription with issue 268, and ordering a binder at the same time, will receive their first issue free. ie UK subscription + binder = 49.95 + 8.95 = 58.90 for year's subscription from issue 269 with issue 268 free. Orders should be sent to "Finnybank Ltd" 30 Finnybank Road Sale M33 6LR or by phone to 0161 969 9820. Cheques or cards can be accepted. Binders and magazines will be despatched together as soon as the binders are available. -- John Cartmell editor Qercus - editor@qercus.com www.qercus.com Qercus: a fusion of Acorn Publisher & Acorn User magazines one magazine for graphics & design - one magazine for all RISC OS users Finnybank Ltd 30 Finnybank Rd Sale M33 6LR == 0161 969 9820 _______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.anno...

FA: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor #2
For Auction on eBay (Less than 20 hours to go): Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor British Broadcasting Corporation Microcomputer System Processor: ARM 3 Memory: 8 MB Hard Disc: 350 MB Podules: Design IT E500 Access+ (Ethernet 10Base2) Oak SCSI Interface Watford Electronics Scanner Peripherals: 3-button mouse Original keyboard with extension cable Watford Electronics Hand Scanner Monitor: Acorn AKF50 with mains connection to A310 and 9/15 adapter. Slight superficial damage to monitor case. Used to be in daily use. Needed only fresh AA batteries (for CMOS RAM) to ov...

Virtual Acorn in Admin and User #2
I am running VRPC on a Windows 7 PC. I can log on as Admin or User, but do all my normal working as a User. Very recently the User Account crashed and when I try to start VRPC as a User I get the message &.!BOOT not found. VRPC runs perfectly in Admin, but all my printer settings etc are set up in User. How can I get VRPC working in User? - I need it to do my Christmas Cards. Thanks Barry -- Barry Gray A child is a fire to be lit not a vessel to be filled ...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
Christmas is coming, so it's time for the last SAUG meeting of 2003. Come to Itchen College, Middle Road, Bitterne, Southampton, on Monday December 12th between 19:00 and 21:00 in room S1, and have a festive natter (?) about all things RISC OS. You are welcome to bring your computers. Admission is free, as always. Dave -- n.g.boalch@durham.ac.uk, Backup Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce. Submissions to csaa@owlart.net Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net ...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
The next meeting of the Southampton Acorn Users Group will take place at Itchen College Sports Centre, Deacon Road, Bitterne, Southampton, on Tuesday August 10th, from 19:00 until 21:00. We will be in room G1. I'll be showing my finished BeagleBoard system. The sports centre's car park is entered from Deacon Road, opposite White's Road. Admission is GBP1 and all are welcome. Dave _______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce. Submissions to csaa@owlart.net Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net ...

Acorn User
Apparently the last issue of Acorn User from Tau Press has now hit the streets. This is the Christmas issue (number 267). I'm afraid this issue is now out of stock - none at all were passed on to Finnybank Ltd and we may not even be able to get a single copy for our archives. Any we do manage to find are likely to go to those who have already been in touch with us. Not having a copy to hand we can't give a rundown on its contents but it does include what is probably the first (and last) front cover advert (for the Stuart Tyrrell Development A6 hybrid computer). Now that the Christmas issue is out we can concentrate on getting the first issue of Acorn User from Finnybank ready for publication. This will be dated January (number 268) and will be much later than originally intended - in order to leave a reasonable gap after the Christmas issue. Special apologies are due to Acorn Publisher only subscribers as this issue doubles as their volume 10 issue 1 which is even more overdue. The January issue of Acorn User (number 268), doubling as Acorn Publisher 10:1, should be out at the end of January. The February issue of Acorn User (269) should be with you mid-February. Acorn User will technically change its name to Qercus for the March issue (270) and will double as Acorn Publisher 10:2 arriving in early March. By April we hope to get Qercus out on time (1st April) and issues of the new magazine should follow at calendar monthly intervals - hopefully on the first Thur...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
OK, everybody, let's try Tuesday again - in this case Tuesday July 10th. As usual in other respects: Itchen College, Middle Road, Bitterne, Southampton, from 19:00 until 21:00. We will be in or near room S1. Admission is free and all are welcome. You should be able to see a 4GB USB drive being read, at least. If you have any large (>2GB) drives of your own, please bring them along. Maybe there will be more stuff to see too. Don't forget: there will be no August meeting, as the college will be closed. Next meeting after this one will be in September. Dave -- n.g.boalch@durham.ac.uk, Backup Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce Submissions to <URL:mailto:csaa@owlart.net> Related mail to <URL:mailto:csaa-request@owlart.net> ...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
I hope to see lots of you at the June meeting of the Southampton Acorn Users Group, where you will have the chance to see a unique RISC OS computer (there are more specimens of A9Home than this one!) Yes, as widely trailed on the Acorn news portals, our very own Wes has made a native RISC OS portable computer, and he will be bringing it to show us next Monday and explain how he made it. We might also try solving some Su Doku puzzles :-) The meeting will take place, as usual, at Itchen College, Middle Road, Bitterne, Southampton, on Monday June 13th, from 19:00 until 21:00. We will probably be in room E3. Admission is free and everybody is welcome. Dave -- n.g.boalch@durham.ac.uk, Backup Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce Submissions to <URL:mailto:csaa@owlart.net> Related mail to <URL:mailto:csaa-request@owlart.net> ...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
Our next meeting is on Monday March 8th in room S1 of Itchen College, Middle Road, Bitterne, Southampton, from 19:00 until 21:00. Admission is free and all are welcome. Please note that the April meeting will be a further 6 weeks away, on the THIRD Monday, because of the timing of Easter. We'll be back to the second Monday as from May. Dave -- n.g.boalch@durham.ac.uk, Backup Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce. Submissions to csaa@owlart.net Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net ...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
The next meeting of the Southampton Acorn Users Group will take place on Monday November 8th, from 19:00 until 21:00, at Itchen College, Middle Road, Bitterne, Southampton. Admission is free and everyone is welcome. I won't be at this meeting in person - which will probably improve it no end - but please come along to this one. I'll see you all at the December meeting. Dave -- n.g.boalch@durham.ac.uk, Backup Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce Submissions to <URL:mailto:csaa@owlart.net> Related mail to <URL:mailto:csaa-request@owlart.net> ...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
I am pleased to announce that the speaker at the next meeting of the Southampton Acorn Users Group will be John-Mark Bell, one of the writers of NetSurf. He will tell us about the history of NetSurf, its current state of development, and some idea of the direction of its likely future development, as well as give us a demonstration of the current version of NetSurf. As anyone who has used a recent version of it will know, NetSurf is a remarkable piece of work. John-Mark's presentation promises to be very interesting. The meeting will take place on Monday October 11th, in Room S1 of Itchen College, Middle Road, Bitterne, Southampton, from 19:00 until 21:00. Admission is free and all are welcome. For further information, please contact me either by telephone on 023 8022 2312, or by e-mail as <URL:mailto:davehigton@dsl.pipex.com> (but don't try from a Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account as your e-mail will be deleted as spam - find another account to e-mail me from!) Dave -- n.g.boalch@durham.ac.uk, Backup Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce Submissions to <URL:mailto:csaa@owlart.net> Related mail to <URL:mailto:csaa-request@owlart.net> ...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
It's almost upon us again. Monday May 9th, at Itchen College, Middle Road, Bitetrne, Southampton, from 19:00 until 21:00, probably in room E3. Admission is free and everyone is welcome. Dave _______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce. Submissions to csaa@owlart.net Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net ...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
The next meeting of the Southampton Acorn Users Group will be on Monday April 11th from 19:00 until 21:00, at Itchen College, Middle Road, Bitterne, Southampton. We'll probably be in room E3. Admission is free and all are welcome. Come along, bring your computers if you like, bring your problems and we'll see if we can solve them! Dave _______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce. Submissions to csaa@owlart.net Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net ...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
The next meeting of the Southampton Acorn Users Group will take place on Monday February 9th in room S1 of Itchen College, Middle Road, Bitterne, Southampton, from 19:00 until 21:00. Admission is free and all are welcome. For further details, please contact me either by e-mail as <URL:email:davehigton@dsl.pipex.com> or by phone on 023 8022 2312. Dave -- n.g.boalch@durham.ac.uk, Backup Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce. Submissions to csaa@owlart.net Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net ...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
A Happy New Year to all of you! The first meeting in 2005 of the Southampton Acorn Users Group will be on Monday January 10th, from 19:00 until 21:00, at Itchen College, Middle Road, Bitterne, Southampton, from 19:00 until 21:00. Admission is free and all are welcome. Bring along computers etc. I'm not sure which room we'll be in, but if it isn't S1, it won't be far from there. Dave _______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce. Submissions to csaa@owlart.net Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net ...

Essex Acorn User Group
Essex Acorn User Group ---------------------- Apologies for the lateness of this announcement, but it is only minutes ago that our speaker called to say that the demands of his work mean that he will be unable to meet with us on Tuesday 14th June. This means that the scheduled talk on the subject of "e-Commerce" will have to be re-scheduled, probably for July; more on that later. So, it seems likely that the 14th will see a scratch meeting. If you are keen to know what is likely to be the subject, please consult our meetings page, where last minute developments will be posted: <URL:http://www.watsnees.demon.co.uk/fw/eaug/mtg.htm> Normal service will be resumed for next month. All other details remain unchanged. Thank you for your understanding. Frank. -- Essex Acorn User Group - Member of Association of Acorn User Groups Frank Watkinson (Secretary/PR/Web/Newsletter) Email: eaug@aaug.net Website: http://www.watsnees.demon.co.uk/fw/eaug/ NEW - 02.11.04 -- n.g.boalch@durham.ac.uk, Backup Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce Submissions to <URL:mailto:csaa@owlart.net> Related mail to <URL:mailto:csaa-request@owlart.net> ...

[wxPython-users] ANNOUNCE: wxPython 2.6.3.2
Announcing ---------- The 2.6.3.2 release of wxPython is now available for download at http://wxpython.org/download.php. This is a mostly bug fix release and takes care of several "unfortunate features" discovered in the 2.6.3.0 release made last week. A summary of changes is listed below and at http://wxpython.org/recentchanges.php. What is wxPython? ----------------- wxPython is a GUI toolkit for the Python programming language. It allows Python programmers to create programs with a robust, highly functional graphical user interface, simply and easily. It is implemented as a Python extension module that wraps the GUI components of the popular wxWidgets cross platform library, which is written in C++. wxPython is a cross-platform toolkit. This means that the same program will usually run on multiple platforms without modifications. Currently supported platforms are 32-bit Microsoft Windows, most Linux or other Unix-like systems using GTK2, and Mac OS X 10.2+, in most cases the native widgets are used on each platform. Changes in 2.6.3.2 ------------------ Fixed reference leak in wx.gizmos.TreeListCtrl.GetSelections. wxMSW: Fixed sizing issue with wx.Choice and wx.ComboBox. This change was implemented by reverting a prior fix for a different problem (continuous painting/resizing when a combobox is used as a widget in a wx.html.HtmlWindow) so a method to fix both problems is still being investigated. wxGTK: Fixed p...

[wxPython-users] ANNOUNCE: wxPython 2.6.3.2
Announcing ---------- The 2.6.3.2 release of wxPython is now available for download at http://wxpython.org/download.php. This is a mostly bug fix release and takes care of several "unfortunate features" discovered in the 2.6.3.0 release made last week. A summary of changes is listed below and at http://wxpython.org/recentchanges.php. What is wxPython? ----------------- wxPython is a GUI toolkit for the Python programming language. It allows Python programmers to create programs with a robust, highly functional graphical user interface, simply and easily. It is implemented as a...

Some Acorn user discs
Hello, I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth anything to anyone out there? I haven't decided what to do with them yet, but if no one in my immediate circle can find a use for them, perhaps someone else might offer something for them. W.Simpson In article <JMjXc.415$Ch2.349@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, W.Simpson <simpsons.dot.box@ntlworld.dot.com> wrote: > Hello, > I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which > need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth an...

Acorn User / Qercus
Finnybank Ltd earlier announced that it has purchased Acorn User magazine from Tau Press and promised more details of the format of the new magazine. Finnybank now own both Acorn Publisher and Acorn User magazine and whilst it might be tempting to simply merge the two publications there are subscribers to Acorn Publisher who may not be interested in taking a general RISC OS magazine. Acorn Publisher will consequently continue as it is at present and will be produced every two months as in the past using the same team of contributors as before. UK Subscription rates will remain unchanged but there will be a very slight increase in the Europe and World rates to help pay for the postage of the additional issue of the magazine that will be sent to all subscribers. New and repeat subscriptions to Acorn Publisher should be sent, as before, to: Finnybank Ltd, 30 Finnybank Rd, Sale M33 6LR. Our feedback indicates that Acorn User readers would welcome a change in format and our proposals are radical. Whilst some aspects of the magazine will be kept we intend to bring back favourites from the past together with brand new ideas. Our experience of producing Acorn Publisher has allowed us to note that, whilst series of articles are appreciated by readers, it is unreasonable to expect a wide range of contributors to produce high quality copy on a monthly basis. It is also evident to us that it would be foolish to produce competing periodicals from the same publisher when they could easi...

Acorn Users / Quercuses
Hi, I have a large number of old Acorn Users and Quercues (Querci?); which I'd rather not dispose of without making an attempt to find someone who might like them. They're probably not a complete sequence (I expect I've lost a few over the years) and almost all of the cover media have been removed and lost; but I'll happily give them away for free to anyone who can come around to my house in Cambridge and take them; or I could think about shipping (but magazines in quantity get quite heavy I think?). J. -- Jonathan Amery. Through many dangers, toils and...

Acorn User CDs
I'm having a clearout. I have: Acorn User CD 1 Acorn User CD 2 Acorn User CD 3 Acorn User CD 10 [the one with the Krisalis games on it] I'm open to an offer for the lot. Definitely interested... Can you contact me by email at lock_gareth at yahoo dot co dot uk. ...

Acorn User archive
The first phase of the Acorn User archive project is now complete. The Acorn User web-site at www.acornuser.com now has a complete listing of all issues of Acorn User together with the front cover and a contents listing. The project is being done by John Peachey and his team - and they have completed this first phase months earlier than expected. Many thanks to them. Over the next few weeks we will start to add links to selections of the articles themselves. The original electronic versions of the articles no longer exist so only a very small selection of articles can be reproduced from the paper sources and we will be republishing some in an updated and re-edited form whilst others may be reproduced as images of the original page. This phase of the project will take very much longer and will be an ongoing task - but to start it we are looking to you to say which of the articles and series from Acorn User you would like to see re-emerge. To start with we have identified: histories of Acorn; reviews of significant items of hardware & software; general tutorials; programming using BBC BASIC, Assembler, C, &c. If you would like to see any articles from Acorn User being made available on the web then please tell us which you would like to see - either in its original form or updated; it will take a great deal of work to reproduce the articles so we want to ensure that we include what many of you want. Please browse through the contents ...

Web resources about - Acorn User #2 - comp.sys.acorn.announce

Acorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Acorns from small to large of the Willow Oak, Quercus phellos (very small, at center); the Southern Red Oak, Quercus falcata ; the White Oak, ...

Acorns - Invest Spare Change in Index Fund Stocks via Bank, Credit & Debit Cards; Finance Retirement ...
Get Acorns - Invest Spare Change in Index Fund Stocks via Bank, Credit & Debit Cards; Finance Retirement Investments or Build Wealth Investing ...

Trading acorns - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Federal Trade Commission Building, Washington, DC Used in mashup by The Consumerist ("Sweepstake Scammers Impersonate FTC" by Ben Popken - November ...

ACORN Prostitution Investigation - James O'Keefe and Hannah Giles - Part 1 - YouTube
Your tax dollars fund ACORN "members" thugs to allegedly develop an underage international prostitution ring. Call your congressmen and senator ...

Acorns turns your spare change into an investment portfolio
... funds on your behalf. I had coffee recently with George Lucas. No, not that George Lucas. My coffee was with the managing director of Acorns ...

ACORN website allows Canberrans to report growing instances of cybercrime
A new website to fight cybercrime is set to save police an enormous amount of time and money.

ACORN website allows Australians to report growing instances of cybercrime
A new website to fight cybercrime is set to save police an enormous amount of time and money.

Cost of internet access for low-income earners needs to be lowered: ACORN
Many Canadians take surfing the net for granted, but not everyone can afford internet.

ACORN Worker Fired After Appearance In Undercover Video - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego
An ACORN employee who appeared to give human-smuggling advice to a pimp and prostitute in an undercover video made by conservative filmmakers ...

Acorn version 4 brings revamped UI, speed enhancements, non-destructive filters & much more
Flying Meat, the developer behind the popular Photoshop-like image editing app called ‘Acorn’, today has released version 4.0 of the app bringing ...