Acorn User archive

The first phase of the Acorn User archive project is now complete. The Acorn
User web-site at www.acornuser.com now has a complete listing of all issues of
Acorn User together with the front cover and a contents listing.

The project is being done by John Peachey and his team - and they have
completed this first phase months earlier than expected. Many thanks to them.

Over the next few weeks we will start to add links to selections of
the articles themselves. The original electronic versions of the
articles no longer exist so only a very small selection of articles can
be reproduced from the paper sources and we will be republishing some
in an updated and re-edited form whilst others may be reproduced as
images of the original page.

This phase of the project will take very much longer and will be an ongoing
task - but to start it we are looking to you to say which of the articles and
series from Acorn User you would like to see re-emerge. To start with we have
identified:
        histories of Acorn;
        reviews of significant items of hardware & software;
        general tutorials;
        programming using BBC BASIC, Assembler, C, &c.

If you would like to see any articles from Acorn User being made available on
the web then please tell us which you would like to see - either in its
original form or updated; it will take a great deal of work to reproduce the
articles so we want to ensure that we include what many of you want. Please
browse through the contents at www.acornuser.com and send your ideas to
editor@qercus.com

We also invite suggestions for links to third-party sites. If the
Acorn User contents refer to items that are still available (free
or commercial), or that are described in other archive sites, then
please send us details of the third party site and note where our
link should start from. Links to the Acorn User site should simply use
www.acornuser.com with the year and issue number to enable
the user to simply locate the correct place.

Should you find any errors in the contents listings or links then please
send details to editor@qercus.com

Assuming enough people show us that these archives are useful then we
will try to find the resources to extend the project to archives from:
        The Micro User / BBC Micro User / Acorn Computing
        Electron User
        Let's Compute
        A&B Computing / Archimedes World
        Acorn Publisher

The Acorn User archive project has been implemented by Qercus magazine as part
of the celebrations of Acorn User's 25th anniversary. Later in 2007 we
also intend to republish some of the Acorn User cover discs & CDs.

Thanks to:
        John Peachey
        Steve Potts
        Neil Spellings & Co-Comp for web hosting
        RComp for web design software
        and others who are helping in many ways

NB If you would like to volunteer to help with any part of the project -
mainly transcribing from image/text on paper, checking transcribed text,
updating articles, and web design/site production - then please get in
touch with us at editor@qercus.com

--
John Cartmell - editor AT qercus.com  www.qercus.com   www.acornuser.com
	Qercus/Acorn User: reporting on computers & computing since 1982

a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce.
Submissions to csaa@owlart.net
Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net
0
editor605 (623)
2/22/2007 8:20:23 AM
comp.sys.acorn.announce 3750 articles. 2 followers. davehigton (2157) is leader. Post Follow

On 22 Feb 2007 Qercus editor <editor@qercus.com> wrote:
> The first phase of the Acorn User archive project is now complete. The
> Acorn User web-site at www.acornuser.com now has a complete listing of all
> issues of Acorn User together with the front cover and a contents listing.

Ah back when we had a decent magazine...

The cover pictures for issues 111 & 112, and 123 & 124 are duplicates.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
2/22/2007 6:38:28 PM
In message <2c2446b94e.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 22 Feb 2007 Qercus editor <editor@qercus.com> wrote:
>> The first phase of the Acorn User archive project is now complete. The
>> Acorn User web-site at www.acornuser.com now has a complete listing of all
>> issues of Acorn User together with the front cover and a contents listing.
>
> Ah back when we had a decent magazine...

and probbaly an editor that cared about his customers - having not
received issue 280 I asked for another copy in the post only to be
told I'd have to wait - how long does it take to put a stamp on an
envelope - with that sort of attitude he's probably lost another
customer......

--
JayCee
0
   JayCee <jaygcee@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> In message <2c2446b94e.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> > On 22 Feb 2007 Qercus editor <editor@qercus.com> wrote:
> >> The first phase of the Acorn User archive project is now complete. The
> >> Acorn User web-site at www.acornuser.com now has a complete listing of all
> >> issues of Acorn User together with the front cover and a contents listing.
> >
> > Ah back when we had a decent magazine...

> and probbaly an editor that cared about his customers - having not
> received issue 280 I asked for another copy in the post only to be
> told I'd have to wait - how long does it take to put a stamp on an
> envelope - with that sort of attitude he's probably lost another
> customer......

Mine came into my postbox as expected.  Shame about yours.  However it is
only a week since JC sent out a message saying that they had all gone out
(14 Feb) so it is a bit early to complain that you haven't got a
replacement!  Was a reason given for having to wait?  Did you ask?

Cheers

Alan

--
Alan Calder, Milton Keynes, UK.

0
alan_calder (665)
2/22/2007 7:28:15 PM
In message <4eb94ab2edalan_calder@orpheusmail.co.uk>
          Alan Calder <alan_calder@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <ec1943b94e.jaycee@jaycee.ntlworld.com>,
>    JayCee <jaygcee@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> In message <2c2446b94e.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

>> > Ah back when we had a decent magazine...
>
>> and probbaly an editor that cared about his customers - having not
>> received issue 280 I asked for another copy in the post only to be
>> told I'd have to wait - how long does it take to put a stamp on an
>> envelope - with that sort of attitude he's probably lost another
>> customer......
>
> Mine came into my postbox as expected.  Shame about yours.  However it is
> only a week since JC sent out a message saying that they had all gone out
> (14 Feb) so it is a bit early to complain that you haven't got a
> replacement!  Was a reason given for having to wait?  Did you ask?

The reason was attending the show this coming weekend - but as I said
licking a stamp doesn't take more than a moment - and he did agree
that they should have been delivered by when I asked. I am afraid I am
very old fashioned in that I do expect courteous and efficient
customer service - he who pays the piper etc!

--
JayCee
0
In message <2c2446b94e.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 22 Feb 2007 Qercus editor <editor@qercus.com> wrote:
>> The first phase of the Acorn User archive project is now complete. The
>> Acorn User web-site at www.acornuser.com now has a complete listing of all
>> issues of Acorn User together with the front cover and a contents listing.
>
> Ah back when we had a decent magazine...
>
> The cover pictures for issues 111 & 112, and 123 & 124 are duplicates.

Thanks Druck,

both now fixed.

Can't be the only cock-ups. Still 2 errors out 267 isn't that bad.

regards

                       |   RISC OS British Technology
                       |   mailto:john@jpeachey.co.uk
_______________________|   http://www.jpeachey.co.uk
0
john4117 (98)
2/22/2007 9:37:03 PM
On 22 Feb 2007 J Peachey <john@jpeachey.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <2c2446b94e.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On 22 Feb 2007 Qercus editor <editor@qercus.com> wrote:
>>> The first phase of the Acorn User archive project is now complete. The
>>> Acorn User web-site at www.acornuser.com now has a complete listing of
>>> all issues of Acorn User together with the front cover and a contents
>>> listing.
>>
>> Ah back when we had a decent magazine...
>>
>> The cover pictures for issues 111 & 112, and 123 & 124 are duplicates.
>
> Thanks Druck,
>
> both now fixed.

Great.

> Can't be the only cock-ups. Still 2 errors out 267 isn't that bad.

Well I started off at issue 17, December 1983, and I recognised the covers of
the first dozen like old friends. I remember reading every word of every page
in awe, and not understanding most of it back then. Learning was so much fun.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
2/22/2007 11:16:58 PM
In message <d47d56b94e.john@user.orpheusmail.co.uk>
          J Peachey <john@jpeachey.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <2c2446b94e.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>
>> On 22 Feb 2007 Qercus editor <editor@qercus.com> wrote:
>>> The first phase of the Acorn User archive project is now complete. The
>>> Acorn User web-site at www.acornuser.com now has a complete listing of all
>>> issues of Acorn User together with the front cover and a contents listing.
>>
>> Ah back when we had a decent magazine...
>>
>> The cover pictures for issues 111 & 112, and 123 & 124 are duplicates.
>
> Thanks Druck,
>
> both now fixed.
>
> Can't be the only cock-ups. Still 2 errors out 267 isn't that bad.

Trouble is people will remember those two and not the other 265 :-)

David
--
David Love
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 22 Feb 2007 J Peachey <john@jpeachey.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <2c2446b94e.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah back when we had a decent magazine...
>>>
>>> The cover pictures for issues 111 & 112, and 123 & 124 are duplicates.
>>
>> Thanks Druck,
>>
>> both now fixed.
>
> Great.
>
>> Can't be the only cock-ups. Still 2 errors out 267 isn't that bad.
>
> Well I started off at issue 17, December 1983, and I recognised the covers of
> the first dozen like old friends. I remember reading every word of every page
> in awe, and not understanding most of it back then. Learning was so much fun.

I have to admit it was a great nostalgia trip for me as well. For some
reason the ray tracing issue (82) I remember quite clearly.

Reading some of the stuff it seemed more fun. Computing now seems to
have lost the fun side to it.

The magazines in the pre TAU days were certainly impressive on average
about 170 pages, and not that bigger percentage as adverts. But then
they did seem to have a large editorial staff, along with professional
writers. Certainly the depth of knowledge seemed huge.

One of the early issues (I'm trying to find which one again) boasted
that it had a circulation of 65000+!

I hope everyone enjoys leafing through the site, and will do my best
to build up the content over the next year or so. So please send
requests for your favourite articles to Qercus, and we'll see what can
be done. I'm toying with the idea of some of the Acorn Abuser Diary's.

Regards
John

                       |   RISC OS British Technology
                       |   mailto:john@jpeachey.co.uk
_______________________|   http://www.jpeachey.co.uk
0
john4117 (98)
2/23/2007 9:51:21 PM
On 23 Feb 2007 J Peachey <john@jpeachey.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <c8a35fb94e.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>> Well I started off at issue 17, December 1983, and I recognised the covers
>> of the first dozen like old friends. I remember reading every word of
>> every page in awe, and not understanding most of it back then. Learning
>> was so much fun.
>
> I have to admit it was a great nostalgia trip for me as well. For some
> reason the ray tracing issue (82) I remember quite clearly.
>
> Reading some of the stuff it seemed more fun. Computing now seems to
> have lost the fun side to it.

True, back then we had a whole word of possibilities, now we have Windows :-(

> The magazines in the pre TAU days were certainly impressive on average
> about 170 pages, and not that bigger percentage as adverts.

Pulled out December 1984 a few weeks ago - 250 thick glossy pages!

> But then  they did seem to have a large editorial staff, along with
> professional  writers. Certainly the depth of knowledge seemed huge.

I learnt a lot from them, and got even more in the way of inspiration.

> One of the early issues (I'm trying to find which one again) boasted
> that it had a circulation of 65000+!

Probably about right, the sheer number of users we had back then is almost
unbeleivable now.

> I hope everyone enjoys leafing through the site, and will do my best
> to build up the content over the next year or so.

One day when I retire (if I ever reach the ever incresing retirement age)
I'll go back and read them all again.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
2/23/2007 10:16:53 PM
In article <a0d28ab94e.zed@orcon.net.nz>, David Love <zed@zed.net.nz>
wrote:
> In message <d47d56b94e.john@user.orpheusmail.co.uk> J Peachey
>           <john@jpeachey.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> > Can't be the only cock-ups. Still 2 errors out 267 isn't that bad.

> Trouble is people will remember those two and not the other 265 :-)

Yes, well.
I changed the settings on over 3000 PeeCees without moving from my desk.
(VBScript might be a bit less neat than BBC Basic but it can be handy)

In the course of making the change (and saving the field techies a lot of
walking and working) I broke[1] four. They keep harping on about it, and
have done for months.

[1] Actually, when the machines were checked out they had some slightly
dodgy s/w installed. But then I should have planned for the stuff I didn't
know about shouldn't I?

On 23 Feb, 21:51, J Peachey <j...@jpeachey.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <c8a35fb94e.dr...@druck.freeuk.net>
>           druck <n...@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>

> > On 22 Feb 2007 J Peachey <j...@jpeachey.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Thanks Druck,
>
> >> both now fixed.
>
> > Great.
>
> >> Can't be the only cock-ups. Still 2 errors out 267 isn't that bad.
>
> > Well I started off at issue 17, December 1983, and I recognised the covers of
> > the first dozen like old friends. I remember reading every word of every page
> > in awe, and not understanding most of it back then. Learning was so much fun.
>
> I have to admit it was a great nostalgia trip for me as well. For some
> reason the ray tracing issue (82) I remember quite clearly.
>
> Reading some of the stuff it seemed more fun. Computing now seems to
> have lost the fun side to it.
>
> The magazines in the pre TAU days were certainly impressive on average
> about 170 pages, and not that bigger percentage as adverts. But then
> they did seem to have a large editorial staff, along with professional
> writers. Certainly the depth of knowledge seemed huge.
The page count with IDG went down year on year. I seem to recall that
for about a year after Tau took it over, the magazine had the same
number of pages as it had with IDG. It's after that things went
down... largely due to the volume of advertising in th emarket.

> One of the early issues (I'm trying to find which one again) boasted
> that it had a circulation of 65000+!
If it was an ABC, superb... if it was an advertising claim; the
industry standard was 2 or 3 times the actual circulation for sales
purposes.

In message <4eba1738fdsteve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com>
          Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> In article <a0d28ab94e.zed@orcon.net.nz>, David Love <zed@zed.net.nz>
> wrote:
>> In message <d47d56b94e.john@user.orpheusmail.co.uk> J Peachey
>>           <john@jpeachey.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
>> > Can't be the only cock-ups. Still 2 errors out 267 isn't that bad.
>
>> Trouble is people will remember those two and not the other 265 :-)
>
> Yes, well.
> I changed the settings on over 3000 PeeCees without moving from my desk.
> (VBScript might be a bit less neat than BBC Basic but it can be handy)
>
> In the course of making the change (and saving the field techies a lot of
> walking and working) I broke[1] four. They keep harping on about it, and
> have done for months.
The role of the sysadmin. If there is nothing wrong what are they
wasting all that money on your salary for.

If you make a cock up, because they have installed unauthorised s/w
why didn't you know about it/stop it from happening (Even if you
happen to be 200 miles from said problem). So why are we paying you
all that money?  :))

Not that I've had much experience in the past.

John
                       |   RISC OS British Technology
                       |   mailto:john@jpeachey.co.uk
_______________________|   http://www.jpeachey.co.uk
0
john4117 (98)
2/25/2007 4:08:11 PM
In article <dfe3c3ba4e.john@user.orpheusmail.co.uk>, J Peachey
<john@jpeachey.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <4eba1738fdsteve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> Steven
>           Pampling <steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> > I changed the settings on over 3000 PeeCees without moving from
> > my desk. (VBScript might be a bit less neat than BBC Basic but
> > it can be handy)
> >
> > In the course of making the change (and saving the field
> > techies a lot of walking and working) I broke[1] four. They
> > keep harping on about it, and have done for months.
> The role of the sysadmin. If there is nothing wrong what are they
> wasting all that money on your salary for.

> If you make a cock up, because they have installed unauthorised
> s/w why didn't you know about it/stop it from happening (Even if
> you happen to be 200 miles from said problem). So why are we
> paying you all that money?  :))

> Not that I've had much experience in the past.

You might each find alt.sysadmin.recovery interesting.

Joyce.

--
Joyce Haslam   pendle atte  boulsworth dotcodotuk
Powerbase Support  http://www.boulsworth.co.uk/
<jaygcee@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> In message <2c2446b94e.druck@druck.freeuk.net> druck
>           <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> > On 22 Feb 2007 Qercus editor <editor@qercus.com> wrote:
> >> The first phase of the Acorn User archive project is now complete. The
> >> Acorn User web-site at www.acornuser.com now has a complete listing of
> >> all issues of Acorn User together with the front cover and a contents
> >> listing.
> >
> > Ah back when we had a decent magazine...

> and probbaly an editor that cared about his customers - having not
> received issue 280 I asked for another copy in the post only to be told
> I'd have to wait - how long does it take to put a stamp on an envelope -
> with that sort of attitude he's probably lost another customer......

Being fair the 'wait' was wait until I get back from the South West Show and
the e-mail was sent as the last work done before setting off to the show after
I no longer had access to your address. I did mention the show and that I'd
happily replace the undelivered copy if you were at the show.

As our normal office hours are 9am to 1am the following morning 7 days a week
I don't think a couple of days off is unreasonable! ;-)

--
	John Cartmell	john@finnybank.com	0845 006 8822 or 0161 969 9820
	Qercus magazine	FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527		www.finnybank.com

john233 (5650)
2/26/2007 10:46:13 AM
In article <a82446b94e.jaycee@jaycee.ntlworld.com>,
   JayCee <jaygcee@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> In message <4eb94ab2edalan_calder@orpheusmail.co.uk>
>           Alan Calder <alan_calder@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:

> > In article <ec1943b94e.jaycee@jaycee.ntlworld.com>,
> >    JayCee <jaygcee@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> >> and probbaly an editor that cared about his customers - having not
> >> received issue 280 I asked for another copy in the post only to be
> >> told I'd have to wait - how long does it take to put a stamp on an
> >> envelope - with that sort of attitude he's probably lost another
> >> customer......
> >
> > Mine came into my postbox as expected.  Shame about yours.  However it is
> > only a week since JC sent out a message saying that they had all gone out
> > (14 Feb) so it is a bit early to complain that you haven't got a
> > replacement!  Was a reason given for having to wait?  Did you ask?

> The reason was attending the show this coming weekend - but as I said
> licking a stamp doesn't take more than a moment - and he did agree
> that they should have been delivered by when I asked. I am afraid I am
> very old fashioned in that I do expect courteous and efficient
> customer service - he who pays the piper etc!

You didn't include your address. I replied at 17:14 before closing down (late)
to go and make an evening meal that I had to finish before opening up for the
RONWUG meeting that evening. I also had to make last minute preparations for
an early start off to the show the following morning. After taking Colin home
from RONWUG I got to bed after midnight.

I too would appreciate a TARDIS. Anyone know of one for sale ...? ;-)

--
	John Cartmell	john@finnybank.com	0845 006 8822 or 0161 969 9820
	Qercus magazine	FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527		www.finnybank.com

john233 (5650)
2/26/2007 10:55:10 AM
John Cartmell <john@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Mine came into my postbox as expected.  Shame about yours.  However
> > > it is only a week since JC sent out a message saying that they had
> > > all gone out (14 Feb) so it is a bit early to complain that you
> > > haven't got a replacement!  Was a reason given for having to wait?
> > > Did you ask?
>
> > The reason was attending the show this coming weekend - but as I said
> > licking a stamp doesn't take more than a moment - and he did agree
> > that they should have been delivered by when I asked. I am afraid I am

> > very old fashioned in that I do expect courteous and efficient
> > customer service - he who pays the piper etc!
>
> You didn't include your address.

A subscriber shouldn't need to - you should have it.

Ray D
0
Ray6068 (3130)

Acorn User CDs
I'm having a clearout. I have: Acorn User CD 1 Acorn User CD 2 Acorn User CD 3 Acorn User CD 10 [the one with the Krisalis games on it] I'm open to an offer for the lot. Definitely interested... Can you contact me by email at lock_gareth at yahoo dot co dot uk. ...

Acorn NC or Acorn NetStation, looking for one.
I am looking for an Acorn NC with ethernet interface! If someone has one, please let me know, and a reasonable price. Complete, with the remote and etc! Thanks! Leonardo leonardo@editek.com In message <1192995978.255456.168910@y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com> leonardo.cohen@gmail.com wrote: > I am looking for an Acorn NC with ethernet interface! If someone has > one, please let me know, and a reasonable price. Complete, with the > remote and etc! I shall be eBaying an NC with ethernet, but no remote, fairly shortly, possibly in the next few weeks. Alan -- RISC OS - you know it makes cents ...

Acorn Users / Quercuses
Hi, I have a large number of old Acorn Users and Quercues (Querci?); which I'd rather not dispose of without making an attempt to find someone who might like them. They're probably not a complete sequence (I expect I've lost a few over the years) and almost all of the cover media have been removed and lost; but I'll happily give them away for free to anyone who can come around to my house in Cambridge and take them; or I could think about shipping (but magazines in quantity get quite heavy I think?). J. -- Jonathan Amery. Through many dangers, toils and...

Acorn User / Qercus
Finnybank Ltd earlier announced that it has purchased Acorn User magazine from Tau Press and promised more details of the format of the new magazine. Finnybank now own both Acorn Publisher and Acorn User magazine and whilst it might be tempting to simply merge the two publications there are subscribers to Acorn Publisher who may not be interested in taking a general RISC OS magazine. Acorn Publisher will consequently continue as it is at present and will be produced every two months as in the past using the same team of contributors as before. UK Subscription rates will remain unchanged but t...

Acorn User #2
Finnybank Ltd and Tau Press today announced the sale of Acorn User magazine. Tau Press have been responsible for publishing Acorn User for the last five years, mainly under the editorship of Steve Turnbull. The magazine now passes into the hands of Finnybank Ltd who currently produce Acorn Publisher magazine. Steve Turnbull from Tau Press commented "I am very happy that John has agreed to take over the publication of Acorn User. With Tau Press moving into new areas we won.t be able to devote all our energies to it and a change in publisher always generates new ideas and new viewpoints. Y...

Acorn User / Qercus
csa announce We have made an announcement of issue 269 of Qercus / Acorn User but it has not yet appeared here. In short it should be with you this week. We're also trying to make sense of the records we received from Tau Press and it's clear that a good number of subscribers have not received their copies of Acorn User / Qercus from us because they were not included in the database that we received from Tau Press. Working our way through the paper records is a slow job so if you - or anyone you know - should be getting the magazine by subscription then please check that you have at ...

Some Acorn user discs
Hello, I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth anything to anyone out there? I haven't decided what to do with them yet, but if no one in my immediate circle can find a use for them, perhaps someone else might offer something for them. W.Simpson In article <JMjXc.415$Ch2.349@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, W.Simpson <simpsons.dot.box@ntlworld.dot.com> wrote: > Hello, > I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which > need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth an...

FA: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor #2
For Auction on eBay (Less than 20 hours to go): Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor British Broadcasting Corporation Microcomputer System Processor: ARM 3 Memory: 8 MB Hard Disc: 350 MB Podules: Design IT E500 Access+ (Ethernet 10Base2) Oak SCSI Interface Watford Electronics Scanner Peripherals: 3-button mouse Original keyboard with extension cable Watford Electronics Hand Scanner Monitor: Acorn AKF50 with mains connection to A310 and 9/15 adapter. Slight superficial damage to monitor case. Used to be in daily use. Needed only fresh AA batteries (for CMOS RAM) to ov...

Acorn User ABC figures
Does anyone know how many readers Acorn User got in its heyday? I have a feeling the readership was about 60,000 at one point, but if anyone knows what the Audit Bureau of Circulation figures were, I'd be hugely grateful. Alex -- Alex Singleton http://www.alexsingleton.com/ In article <BC1893F7.DE3C%usenet@dontspammealexsingleton.com>, Alex Singleton <URL:mailto:usenet@dontspammealexsingleton.com> wrote: > Does anyone know how many readers Acorn User got in its heyday? I have a > feeling the readership was about 60,000 at one point, but if anyone knows > what the...

ACORN USER CD-ROM1
Has anyone got the Acorn User first CD-ROM ? the one that contained the cover discs from Acorn Computing on it. It's just that I have been trying to get hold of the BBC Micro 8bit 5.25" subscription disc for Volume 11 Number 11 (Special Issue 1993) without any luck, however a response on the Archive mailing list has left me a bit confused, the following was posted � Re:Someone was wanting 8bs software for year 93 which one was it these are done as 93_01S , 93_02S, 93_03S , 93_04S�, 93_05S , 93_06S , 93-07S 93_07S , 93_08S , 93_09S , 93_10S , 93_11S and 93_12S ?. as on the CD-ROM...

Acorn User back issues
We're now able to offer Acorn User back issues up to the December 2004 issue. It will take a few weeks to sort out exactly which issues are available and we will be offering them in bundles at discounted proces. In the meantime individual copies can be purchased (where available) at �4.20 + p&p. If you want a particular issue then let us know and we'll search for it for you. If you want a number of issues then we'll do the same and offer a significant discount. NB Most issues of Acorn User sold out soon after publication unlike Acorn Publisher where extra copies were deliberat...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
The next meeting of the Southampton Acorn Users Group will take place on Monday January 9th, at Itchen College, Middle Road, Bitterne, Southampton, from 19:00 until 21:00. We will probably be in room E1. Admission is free and all are welcome. Bring along all the computing stuff that you'd like to. Although our meetings are usually on the second Monday of every month except August, we will have to vary that this February and April. The dates will be: January 9th February 6th (Note: this is the first Monday) March 13th April: Date to be advised May 8th June 12th July 10th The second Mo...

Acorns fall next to the tree [Acorn stuff on ebuy UK]
I usually don't surf Acorns, but I noticed some on ebuy. Acorn RiscOS 3.5 ROMs - no reserve Acorn 486 Co-processor card - no reserve Acorn Arm610 processor card - no reserve ...

XAUG
Hi, Does anyone know if XAUG still exists? Thanks, Mike -- In article <85cc8bb9-4a72-48d5-bd2f-b5bbc51cd593@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, MikeCarter <redtrac@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi, > Does anyone know if XAUG still exists? Not heard anything of it for years - the name Colin Randle comes to mind. Ahhh, yes, Google gives an entry via Spellings computer group but the website http://home.freeuk/carandall gives a "404". Maybe Ben Crick or Michael Harding have some information, the postal address was "The Vicarage, Warwick bridge, Carlisle". -- ...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
My apologies to everybody, but the July meeting of the Southampton Acorn Users Group may have to be postponed. Please don't just turn up at the usual place and time; wait until I have confirmed the date. This is simply because I am suddenly being required to go out of the country on business, and I'm not yet sure when I'll be back. Dave _______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce. Submissions to csaa@owlart.net Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net ...

FS: Acorn User back issues
Free: Back issues of Acorn User, from 138 (January 1994) to 222 (July 2000), plus copies of Archimedes World, Acorn Computing and Archive. James [reply-to is anti-spam munged) -- How many bored border collies could a bored public school boarder hoard if a bored public school boarder was bordering on hoarding bored border collies? ...

Liverpool Acorn user group (LAUG)
Does this club/usergroup have a current website at all? I've just been updating my usergroup database at http://www.riscos.org/usergroups/ and I notice that the page at http://www.orpheusweb.co.uk/bob.williams/laug/ seems a little out of date. I wondered if it was still relevant? Paul -- Paul Vigay __\\|//__ Life, (` o-o ') the Universe --- http://www.vigay.com/ --------ooO-(_)-Ooo----------- & Everything ------ Quality Internet Services, Broadband & Hosting - www.orpheusinternet.co.uk ...

Virtual Acorn in Admin and User #2
I am running VRPC on a Windows 7 PC. I can log on as Admin or User, but do all my normal working as a User. Very recently the User Account crashed and when I try to start VRPC as a User I get the message &.!BOOT not found. VRPC runs perfectly in Admin, but all my printer settings etc are set up in User. How can I get VRPC working in User? - I need it to do my Christmas Cards. Thanks Barry -- Barry Gray A child is a fire to be lit not a vessel to be filled ...

Calling all Mac Virtual Acorn users
I'm about to commit myself to getting VA for a Mac machine but before I do I wonder if you can help. Experience has taught me that 'things', even the most wonderful, can have a downside or at least limitations, and I'd rather know in advance what they are so that I can take them into consideration - rather than discover them afterwards and be disappointed. For example will all my favourite programs run smoothly? I particularly have in mind the 32-bitted version of Font Directory which runs on the Iyonix but not on ROL's RISC OS6. So if any of you feel able to share your ...

Acorn User: The Castle purchase of RISC OS
Have you got something to say about it? Go to the Acorn User web site ( http://www.acornuser.com/ ) and let us know. We will be publishing the most considered opinions in the August issue of Acorn User and best replies will also get a free subscription to the magazine. (If you want to contact me directly use the address: editor@acornuser.com but stick an "au" on the front of it.) -- Rob Donaldson Editor, Acorn User magazine In article <ZRbOa.4093$oA4.31472790@news-text.cableinet.net>, David Robinson <david@devilment.org.invalid> wrote: > "Rob Donaldson&quo...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
The April meeting of the Southampton Acorn Users Group will take place on Tuesday April 13th, at Itchen College, Middle Road, Bitterne, Southampton, from 19:00 until 21:00. We should be in room S1 (but if there's any problem, the reserve location is the college's sports centre, at the other end of the building). Admission is GBP1.00 and all are welcome. My BeagleBoard will be available to all of you to try your programmes on. Dave _______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce. Submiss...

Southampton Acorn Users Group
The next meeting of the Southampton Acorn Users Group will take place on Tuesday February 12th, at Itchen College, Middle Road, Bitterne, Southampton, from 19:00 until 21:00. Admission is free and all are welcome. We will, as usual, be in the College Centre, which is the open area with tables and chairs, near the Sports Centre Reception. The area is wheelchair accessible, and the College has a bar adjacent. I will be bringing an Iyonix, two BeagleBoards, two Raspberry Pi's, my embedded ARM prototype board (thermostat, hygrometer and thermostat) together with numerous other bits and pieces. You are encouraged to bring your own hardware and software too. I hope to see lots of you there! Dave ____________________________________________________________ FREE 3D EARTH SCREENSAVER - Watch the Earth right on your desktop! Check it out at http://www.inbox.com/earth _______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce. Submissions to csaa@owlart.net Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net ...

Acorn User
Question for curiosities sake. When Acorn User changed publishers back in the January 1993 issue, the page numbering changed. At Redwood press the page numbering did not count either the outside or inside front and rear covers. However when Europress took over, page numbering started on the outside front cover. My question is. Was there a particular reason for this change or was it change for the sake of change? Regards -- Paul Stewart - Far Bletchley, Milton Keynes, England. (msn:sa110@hotmail.com) Be Bold. Dare To Be Different. Use RISC OS (http://www.riscos.com). It's ...

Acorn World show -- Archive preview online
an Archive news feature about the forthcoming Acorn World show at Huddersfield has been posted on the Archive website. the overdue issue 22:4 of Archive is about to go to press, at last, but will reach readers only on the eve of the show, at best -- hence my posting the preview article online now. the show is on the coming weekend, September 12-13. -- Jim Nagel www.archivemag.co.uk _______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce. Submissions to csaa@owlart.net Relate...

Web resources about - Acorn User archive - comp.sys.acorn.announce

Archive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Archives contain primary source documents that have accumulated over the course of an individual or organization's lifetime, and are kept to ...

Archive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Archives contain primary source documents that have accumulated over the course of an individual or organization's lifetime, and are kept to ...

24/7 Wall St. » Blog Archive 6 Stocks Over $500 « - Priceline.com (NASDAQ:PCLN)
There are six companies in the S&P 500 that have share prices over $500. They do not have anything particularly noteworthy in common. Most are ...

Archive: March 13, 2016
Augusta Georgia’s source for News, Entertainment, Sports, Weather, Classifieds, Jobs, Autos, Real Estate and Masters information from The Augusta ...

News Archives - Automobile
Subscribe Menu Close Home Reviews Open Road Tests Long-Term Classic Cars News & Rumors Open Latest News Future Cars Car Lists Auto Shows Open ...

Hoisted from teh Archives from 2012: Karl Rove and Company Got $80 Million and Republican Donors Got ...
[Karl Rove and Company Got $80 Million and Republican Donors Got?](http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2012/11/karl-rove-and-company-got-80-millio ...

Volunteer makes rare Civil War find at National Archives
"It doesn't get much bigger, in my eyes," archive specialist says of discovery - one of only three known to exist

Rare Walt Whitman solider letter found in National Archives
WASHINGTON (AP) — A rare letter written by the poet Walt Whitman for a wounded Civil War soldier has been found in the National Archives.

Articles archive from March 13, 2016
Daily Herald is suburban Chicago's largest daily newspaper. Daily Herald provides a local perspective with local content such as the northwest ...

Archives
If there’s one thing pretty much everyone agrees on about this year’s crop of NBA rookies, it’s that this is the best class since 2003. All ...