Basic BASIC

Now that our series on Basic for Beginners - Basic BASIC by Ray Favre - is at
an end, those who have not read the series may wish to purchase the back
copies of Qercus that include the six parts of Basic BASIC.

The series takes a complete beginner to programming and introduces sufficient
to get you started and producing your own programs.

Examples are listed within the article or in the Yellow Pages feature in the
magazine and these can be typed in by the reader. These listings will also be
available on the Qercus website. Purchasers of the series, who don't have
access to the internet, can request a copy of the listings on disk at the time
they place their order.

The Basic BASIC bundle of Qercus magazines costs just �20 + p&p (�2 UK)

As a bonus, purchasers will also receive all the other excellent articles
(typically 12 major articles in each issue) that accompanied the Basic BASIC
series including most of the AppBasic series* and the first part of the new
series on the scripting language Lua.

*add �2 to also receive issue 269 which includes the first part of the
AppBasic series.

NB Where an issue goes 'out of print' we will replace the copy with a reprint
of the article(s) requested.

Orders to the address below or by telephone 0161 969 9820 / FAX 08700 519 572

--
John Cartmell - Qercus magazine  - editor AT qercus.com  www.qercus.com
	Qercus: a fusion of Acorn Publisher & Acorn User magazines

a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce.
Submissions to csaa@owlart.net
Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net
0
news4632 (4)
10/25/2006 11:20:00 AM
comp.sys.acorn.announce 3750 articles. 2 followers. davehigton (2157) is leader. Post Follow

MS BASIC, Sinclair BASIC, STOS BASIC: derivatives comparison?
I see that there're a number of derivatives of MS BASIC, Sinclair BASIC, and STOS BASIC still in active development (e. g.: QB64, MMBasic; BASin; sdlBasic.) And, as it seems, there's a renewed interest in smaller, "BASIC-as-an-OS" computers (check, e. g., Maximite [1] and its derivatives.) I wonder if there's a good comparison of their respective features? I'm especially interested in any of them being compared to either Beta BASIC (a Sinclair BASIC derivative, presumably no longer in development), or its derivatives (SAM BASIC, MasterBASIC.) TIA. [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximite -- FSF associate member #7257 On Nov 26, 5:32=A0am, Ivan Shmakov <oneing...@gmail.com> wrote: > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 I see that there're a number of derivatives of MS BASIC, > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Sinclair BASIC, and STOS BASIC still in active developmen= t > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 (e. g.: QB64, MMBasic; BASin; sdlBasic.) =A0And, as it se= ems, > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 there's a renewed interest in smaller, "BASIC-as-an-OS" > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 computers (check, e. g., Maximite [1] and its derivatives= ..) > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 I wonder if there's a good comparison of their respective > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 features? =A0I'm especially interested in any of them bei= ng > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 compared to either Beta BASIC (a Sinclair BASIC derivativ= e, > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 presumably no longer in...

Announce: ZX Basic (BASIC compiler for Spectrum) version 1.2.6 released
Hi, I've posted earlier about this project here. This compiler runs translates BASIC (almost like Sinclair BASIC) to spectrum machine code (it even saves it as TZX or TAP format ready for emulation). I've just released v.1.2.6 which is quite stable. The compiler is free. You can download it at http://www.boriel.com/files/zxb It has an oficial page: http://www.zxbasic.net and a support forum (see links). On Dec 10, 7:48=A0pm, Boriel <bor...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I've posted earlier about this project here. This compiler runs > translates BASIC (almost like ...

Basic JSP Question (very basic)

Applet + Swing basic (very basic!)
Hi, I'm a total newbie to Java (forced into it via a master's class, actually, but enjoying it!). I've scoured my Java books and the web for what I'm sure is very simple stuff but am coming up blank. Basic premise: build an applet that has a JTextArea in which to display some simple lines of text as the applet runs. Using JBuilder Foundation I'm able to build the GUI in the init() method and am hacking my way through learning what all the auto-generated code means. As a Delphi guy, it's slowly making sense. My applet has multiple custom classes, each in thei...

TML Basic / GS Basic
Does anyone have any example source code for TML Basic and/or GSBasic? I'm looking for an example application with one of each control on a form (window) and how to trap the event when a control is clicked, changed, etc. Thanks, Terry ...

Basic
Hi Can someone tell me how Cstart = CLng(#2/24/1906#)translates into VO please. Thanks Robert Dear Rob Smith: On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:39:10 AM UTC-7, Rob Smith wrote: > > Can someone tell me how Cstart = CLng(#2/24/1906#) > translates into VO please. This is a Clipper translation, sorry... #2/24/1906# => CTOD("2/24/1906")... assuming the date is in system date order. .... since dates are already integers, then Cstart := CTOD("2/24/1906") By the way, you can subtract two dates, to get the days between dates also... Davi...

BASIC
Where is the coolest site to know all about Spectrum basic? BASICly I just need the syntax for the 48K model. And... was there ever any Ultima released for the Spectrum and where to find it? -- Etienne von Wettingfeld [Mac OS X Tiger] Etienne von Wettingfeld wrote: > Where is the coolest site to know all about Spectrum basic? BASICly I > just need the syntax for the 48K model. http://www.worldofspectrum.org/documentation.html#manuals In article <evihhb$pej$3@reader01.news.esat.net>, Calum <com.gmail@scottishwildcat.nospam> wrote: &g...

real basic real basic question ...
i'm interested in real basic as a development platform, however i don't get the logic with the pricing us$99 for the standard edition windows and us$99 for the standard edition macintosh, but the pro-version which works on both is us$499 ? why not just buy 2 standard licences and compile on both platforms (assuming you have access to a mac). is there anything that would stop you from doing that? can you just take the code and copy it to the mac with your trusted thumb-drive and just compile it? is there any other benefit to getting pro? thanx ~*~ xiaan ~*~ auckland, new...

Scheme in Basic, Scheme-2-Basic
I'm looking for a scheme interpreter written in BASIC, preferable Visual Basic --- and most preferably Visual Basic for Applications. A Scheme to BASIC translator would also be great. I'm in an environment where I need to write some software and the only development environment I have is Microsoft Office Visual Basic for Applications. (The security 'droids have conclued that because MS Office is "standard," VBA must be "safe.") If you can help me please respond with a copy to pcolsen@comcast.net Engineer wrote: > I'm in an environment where I need t...

basics
Hello what is the different between my %hash; and my %hash = (); with examples thanks King wrote: > > what is the different between > my %hash; > and > my %hash = (); Nothing, except one is longer. John -- use Perl; program fulfillment ...

Basics
Hi all, I wanted to learn device driver in linux. can any body let me know from where i have to start. what basic knowlege i required to develop device driver. regards Hiya, > I wanted to learn device driver in linux. can any body let me know from > where i have to start. what basic knowlege i required to develop device > driver. Try: http://tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/index.html Cheers, -- John McCallum Emerson Network Power - Embedded Computing, Edinburgh, UK For email, leave the web and we're not so small. vasadia.linux@gmail.com wrote: &g...

some examples of basic, basic concepts in PHP for novices
Hi Folk When learning PHP, the hardest is always learning the basics. Once you understand the concept, you learn a lot quicker. For a friend, I put together some basic, basic examples. One or two of you may be interested to have a look at these: http://www.alacarte.co.nz/_learning-curve1.php, http://www.alacarte.co.nz/_learning-curve1.txt http://www.alacarte.co.nz/_learning-curve2.php http://www.alacarte.co.nz/_learning-curve2.txt http://www.alacarte.co.nz/_learning-curve3.php http://www.alacarte.co.nz/_learning-curve3.txt http://www.alacarte.co.nz/_learning-curve4.php http://www.al...

some basics
I'll admit I'm new to Clarion and PHP development; I think my major problem is that I don't even know what to search for to find this answer. Anything that will point me in the right direction will be appreciated. I have a top speed database and the read only version of ODBC drivers installed. That seems to be working, I can view the data through Excel or Access. I installed XAMPP and created a simple php file that calls odbc_connect and seems to make a connection. When I run a basic query like "SELECT name FROM customer" all my results are garbage. It looks like it pro...

Basics
Hi Everyone: I am an undergraduate student in Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo. I am interested in learning about neural networks, the theory behind them, how to develop software to employ neural networks and their applications in the real world. I was wondering if someone can help me by pointing me to some excellent resources in the subject from which I can get started in this area and that will allow me to become proficient. Thank you very much for any help that you are able to give me, Samir Hi Try for now : ftp://ftp.sas.com/pub/neural/FAQ.html. I think it will keep...

basics
OK. Got the two computers hooked together through a Linksys switch/router, and they're both online nicely through a high speed DSL modem. Now, what are the indicators as to whether my computers are networked or not??? If they're aren't networked yet, but I cause them to be networked, will that be detrimental to internet access for either? If my computers are not networked, how do I establish a network condition with them? ...

The very basics...
Where can I find the idiots guide to midi? My specific setup, although I don't know if I can use it:- A Korg full width electronic piano (with some midi sockets round the back), A PC about 3m away with a copy of Sibelius 3 loaded on it. The PC has a couple of crappy speakers on it. At the moment, the PC can compose sheet music and play it back using a strange approximation to several musical instruments (not sure which ones). I think this gives me general midi. Who is this General Midi - I certainly don't know! -- Jeremy Boden Jeremy Boden wrote: (snip) > > Who is this...

BASIC struct syntax (very long) (was: BASIC structs)
It's time to describe the extent of the syntax, and how interpretation occurs. This is a long posting ;-) First, Objects: class{}={x%,y%,z%} Define a prototype (as class{} didn't exist) new{}=class{} Create new object (new{} didn't, class{} did) copy{}=object{} Copy object (copy{} didn't, object{} did) init{}=class{1,2,3} Create and initialise (class{} is prototype) this{x%}=that{y%} Members are simple l-values this{x%,y%}=that{z%,x%} Lists of members are more complex this{}={1,2,3} Set all/first val...

Which basic ?
Hi All, I have a book published in 1985 with programs written in basic. I need to run one to find where I am going wrong converting to Python. It uses for example, line numbers, def fna(x)...., gosub, goto etc. I have qbasic45 running in dosbox but the syntax is different. Is there a more appropriate Basic program? I am running win64 but could fire up ubuntu. Just a hobbyist so go easy on me :) Rog http:rog.pynguins.com himself wrote: > I have a book published in 1985 with programs written in basic. > I need to run one to find where I am going wrong converti...

Newbie question: Quick Basic to Visual Basic
Program migration from Quick Basic to Visual Basic ? Regards to the newsgroup. Excuse my sudden intromission into the group, but I know from my long experience in these groups that there are a lot of people willing to help. As I ceased to program several years ago I found myself in the situation that my old programs are incompatible with Windows 98 and XP. I have code written in 1995 to 97 under DOS, using Quick Basic, which running under Windows, create problems when they write data files on to the fixed disk. I'm having trouble when restarting my PC. I guess this is due to the...

Basics
Hello group, does anyone have any links to resources to get a general overview of how to operate an as400? Looking for a real general overview. I did a quick search but came up with nothing. Thanks! ujjc001@gmail.com wrote: > Hello group, does anyone have any links to resources to get a general > overview of how to operate an as400? Looking for a real general > overview. I did a quick search but came up with nothing. > Thanks! > Here is an InfoCenter topic link: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/rzal2/rzal2kickoff.htm Entry to InfoCe...

Quick-Basic running in a Visual Basic compilation?
Hi everybody, I have a program, developed in Quick Basic under DOS, which are quite complicated and I wish to translate into Visual Basic, since Basic is more familiar for me than other languages. The question is how to write Quick Basic code in a Visual Basic program. It handles I/O commands and direct access to memory addresses for a A/D card. I have to say that this program works fine in a DOS window under Win98, but it's not the case for W2000/XP. Any comment will be highly appreciated. / Bish "Bishop" <Donottry@never.de> wrote in message news:c14po4$1efl2s$1@ID-14...

Tell me about BASIC please (from an old BASIC user)
Hi, I used BASIC on a Commodore 64 in 1980's and still have a sweet point for it in my heart. Anyway, as you can guess from my nickname, I am currently interested in Ruby and love it. Yesterday, just for curiosity, I looked around in the Internet and surprised that so many BASIC dialects exist. PureBasic, RealBasic, PowerBasic, JustBasic et cetera. For the last fifteen years I thought that BASIC is a "child's toy", not a real programming tool. But, if this is true, how can it still be alive? Furthermore those dialects indicate that people are *strongly* inter...

Basic V or Basic VI for a new starter?
I am starting to learn programming. My machine is a RISC PC 600 running RISC OS 4.02. It has Basic V as its internal programming language. But browsing this group I find that there is a Basic VI. So I ask :- * Is Basic VI significantly different? * Is Basic VI a significant improvement? * Where can I get Basic VI? * How can install Basic VI? * Would it upset the internal workings of my machine to replace its native Basic V by Basic VI? If so, should I keep the two separate? Michael Bell -- In message <ant2906410b09h$$@michaelbell.demon.co.uk> Michael Bell <michae...

BASICs out there
I had no idea there were so many on Windows and Linux... http://basic.mindteq.com/ I might see if they run under VirtualPC or BOCHs, just to test them. I wish more of these were available on OS X. I notice there are some more "VB-like" than others. BCX is interesting, if it could ever produce C code that would work on the Mac. If I didn't think it was over-priced (especially lacking database access), I'd give FutureBasic a go. I received an e-mail from PowerBasic indicating they are working on a Linux/BSD cross-platform version of their compilers. I assu...

Web resources about - Basic BASIC - comp.sys.acorn.announce

STOS BASIC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
STOS BASIC is a dialect of the BASIC programming language implemented on the Atari ST computer. STOS BASIC was originally developed by Jawx , ...

Basic income: New life for an old idea
Basic income, which would guarantee a certain amount of money to a country's citizens regardless of their employment status, is having a moment ...

Basic Income Should Be Studied By Trudeau Government, Commons Committee Says
OTTAWA — A Liberal-dominated parliamentary committee is calling on the federal government to explore the concept of guaranteeing people a minimum ...

Five Basic Rules for Building Customer Communities Globally
... in different corners of the Earth, must be aware of this new reality, and adjust accordingly. To get you started, here are the five basic principles ...

Airlines Are Adding Cheaper Basic Economy Seats, and It’s Not As Bad As It Sounds
A few years back, Delta Airlines started testing out Basic Economy level seats. The seats were smaller with less legroom and came, unsurprisingly, ...

Canada Next In Line To Test Universal Basic Income For Citizens
Canada Next In Line To Test Universal Basic Income For Citizens

World T20: Joe Root sticks to his basics as England post record-breaking victory over Proteas
World T20: Joe Root sticks to his basics as England post record-breaking victory over Proteas - South Africa opted to use Amla and De Kock as ...

Sky to offer Premier League matches on its basic TV packages
In its latest bid to stand out from broadcasting rival BT, Sky is launching a new sports channel that will be available to subscribers who don't ...

Get the basics first, then go big
... in life, but specifically talk about this approach to big data. You can’t just get into a plane and be a pilot; you need to learn the basics ...

Americans Don't Understand Basic Health Terms, Let Alone Obamacare
Even as millions of Americans gain health insurance coverage, they lack the basic understanding of key terms that impact their out-of-pocket ...