Basic V for the Acorn Archimedes - in print.. Large print..

I=B9m pleased to announce that Basic V for the Acorn Archimedes is the next
title to be made available through MagCloud. Scaled up from its original A5
to American Letter size, it's printed in a magazine form then dispatched by
MagCloud to anywhere in the US and UK.

This book provides a practical guide to programming in BASIC V on the Acorn
Archimedes. Assuming a familiarity with the BBC BASIC language in general,
it describes the many new commands offered by BASIC V, already acclaimed as
one of the best and most structured versions of the language on any micro.

An essential aid for all Archimedes users, this book will also appeal to
existing BBC BASIC users who wish to be conversant with new features of
BASIC V. Topics covered include:

Using the colour palette - WHILE, IF and CASE - Use of mouse and pointer -
Local error handling - Operations and String Handling - The Assembler -
Control Structures - Matrix Operations - Functions and Procedures - Extended
graphics commands - Sound - Programming hints & tips

If you already have this book in A5 format: it's the same book, just in a
larger form so there's possibly no reason to buy it again.

Price through MagCloud is $25. As with the First steps with RISC OS book,
you can also download it for free viewing on the iPad.

Visit http://alligatamedia.magcloud.com/ for details.

I have three copies of the original print run available at GBP5.99 each. Email
me for details.

Dave Holden has an HTML version available via the APDL website for GBP2.50.
The PDF version is also available through myself at the same price.

Regards
David

a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce.
Submissions to csaa@owlart.net
Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net
comp.sys.acorn.announce 3750 articles. 2 followers. davehigton (2157) is leader. Post Follow

print v. print()
I am learning Python from Hammond & Robinson's _Python Programming on Win32_, January 2000 edition. This print "Sleeping for 10 seconds" which appears in some example code, fails to... um... Compile? Interpret? Well, whatever the word is, it fails. Trial and error revealed that print("Sleeping for 10 seconds") does the trick. I am using version 3.1.2, presumably the book's authors used some earlier version. So why the change from print to print()? I should warn you that I know nothing about computers in general or Python in pa...

Print-Print versus Print-Preview-Print
Is there a difference between the following operations from any given program? Let's say Safari, because I often want to Preview to see how many pages there are before deciding to print. From Safari: File > Print --> print dialog > Print versus From Safari: File > Print --> print dialog then choose Preview --> Abode Reader view then print directly from Adobe using File > Print --> print dialog > Print It sounds like a waste of steps, but after I preview in Adobe Reader, I usually close the preview and go back and print directly from Safari. The outputs ...

To print or not to print
What is a symptom of, when a print statement, inserted into a program as a diagnostic, removes an error? -- Dieter Britz (dieterbritz<at>yahoo.com) Dieter Britz wrote: > What is a symptom of, when a print statement, inserted into a program > as a diagnostic, removes an error? Array bound violation is the most likely. Some additional memory space is allocated for the purpose of the print statement, and the array then overflows into that space without any visible effect. Dieter Britz <dieterbritz@yahoo.com> wrote: > What is a symptom of, when a print statement, inserted into a > program as a diagnostic, removes an error? Without knowing the error it is hard to say. With x87 floating point, small changes can change the precision (and/or accuracy) of the result. -- glen "Dieter Britz" <dieterbritz@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:hi4llg$eup$1@news.net.uni-c.dk... | What is a symptom of, when a print statement, inserted into a program | as a diagnostic, removes an error? Almost certainly, it is a subscript or substring error. Less likely causes are uninitialized variables, mismatched argments/dummy arguments, etc. For starters you need to turn on all checks. Try to explicitly switch off any optimization. I have this often when the optimizer takes a short-cut and when the print-statement prevents optimization and therefore the faulty short-cut in command execution. Also: activate all...

Virtual Acorn & Printing
Hi, Hope this is to the correct group. I've just installed Virtual Acorn RPC on my laptop & want to set up printing. I need to buy a new printer & am looking at either a HP1600 or an HP2600n. Can anyone let me know if the printer drivers that come with VARPC will drive either of these printers? And if so, which one. The help files suggest that they will but do not say so specifically. Many thanks R Hall -- _ _________________________________________ / \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services \_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_> / 'In...

How do I print borderless prints?
Hi. I'm trying to make borderless prints and not having any luck. I use Paint Shop Pro 8. I'm printing on an Epson 785EPX printer and using Epson Photo Paper, 4x6, non-perforated. No matter how I play with the settings, I get a border around the prints. I'm printing from digital pictures I took. I've tried from the original as it came out of the camera, at 2240 x 1488, and I also tried re-sizing to 640 x 480. Still no luck. I'm using a setting of "fit to page". The size is at 6.00 x 3.986 inches. Still a border. I'm wasting paper trying to get it right. Any id...

How do I print borderless prints?
Hi. I'm trying to make borderless prints and not having any luck. I use Paint Shop Pro 8. I'm printing on an Epson 785EPX printer and using Epson Photo Paper, 4x6, non-perforated. No matter how I play with the settings, I get a border around the prints. I'm printing from digital pictures I took. I've tried from the original as it came out of the camera, at 2240 x 1488, and I also tried re-sizing to 640 x 480. Still no luck. I'm using a setting of "fit to page". The size is at 6.00 x 3.986 inches. Still a border. I'm wasting paper trying to get it right. Any id...

PRINT@ vs PRINT`
Hi I'm at the moment converting some old cassettes. This is a rather slow process and there is one quirk I have come across. These are 500baud level II tapes, mostly basic programs. In some of these old basic programs PRINT@ is instead PRINT`, that is instead of @ (0x40) you get ` (0x60). This results in an SN error (Syntax) on a model I ROM basic and LDOS disk basic. On model III ROM basic it still lists PRINT` but it works. So it seems that the tapes are from a model III or 4. I wonder why ever is there this quirk, is it a bug (model III/4)? Those programs ar...

Printing date on prints
I am trying to learn how to use a new Nikon D50 DSLR. In our city, triecentennial anniversary is going on yesterday and today. They tried to re-enact Spanish settler about 300 years ago. Beautiful Spanish costumes of men and women on horseback were everywhere and we can see banners that display coasts of arms. So I took some pictures and tried to print using a Canon printer. Pictures were gorgeous but I was not able to figure out how to print date stamp. With pictures taken with Sony P&S cameras, I used to print date. Does anybody know how to print date? John "...

FA: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor #2
For Auction on eBay (Less than 20 hours to go): Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor British Broadcasting Corporation Microcomputer System Processor: ARM 3 Memory: 8 MB Hard Disc: 350 MB Podules: Design IT E500 Access+ (Ethernet 10Base2) Oak SCSI Interface Watford Electronics Scanner Peripherals: 3-button mouse Original keyboard with extension cable Watford Electronics Hand Scanner Monitor: Acorn AKF50 with mains connection to A310 and 9/15 adapter. Slight superficial damage to monitor case. Used to be in daily use. Needed only fresh AA batteries (for CMOS RAM) to ov...

HP-UX Print Problem
We have OKI 395 dot matrix printers attached to HP JetDirect 170X print servers. We run an application on a HP-UX 11 server which spools print jobs and passes them to the line print daemon. On the LAN this works without error, however we have problems over the WAN, with WAN sites linked via a site-to-site ipsec vpn. The majority of print jobs at these remote sites print without error, however several jobs per day get 'stuck' and print out the same job repeatedly. The only way to resolve this problem is to cancel the print job, which then releases all other jobs in the queue to the ...

Printing from Acorn to PC shared printer
Must i use LanMan98 for this or is there a simpler way? Thanks, Ben In message of 27 Apr, "Ben Wylie" <benwylie@_hotmail_.com> wrote: > Must I use LanMan98 for this or is there a simpler way? Uniprint from Rcomp or get a Printer Server box. But both these cost money It can also be done through Samba. I would not say it is any simpler than Lanman98. -- Tim Powys-Lybbe������������������������������������������tim@powys.org �������������For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org Tim Powys-Lybbe wrote: > It can also be done through Samba. I w...

Printing from a batch file. Also from regular BASIC using shell commands to print
Before XP I always used batch file commands like this: ECHO INVENTORY DATA >PRN ECHO ------------------------------------------------------- >PRN > PRN also maybe this form too ECHO INVENTORY DATA >LPT1 ECHO ------------------------------------------------------- >LPT1 > LPT1 With BASIC I used commands like this: 10 SHELL"TYPE FILENAME | SORT/+7 >PRN" - or - 20 A$="TYPE SIDATS | SORT/+7 >PRN":SHELL A$ since XP all of these these do not output to Printer Any ideas how to fix this ? ...Please e...

PDF for Printing Books Print-on-Demand: How to Discover "print quality"
Hello and thanks very much in advance, I've been preparing books for printing for print-on-demand. My question is: If I open a pdf file, how can I tell the "print-quality" of the file? I'm not sure I'm using the correct terms: I know that when creating a pdf, Acrobat offers various options, and some are better for printing books. What I want to do is use different PDF-making applications, create the PDF, and then discover what quality has been made. Thanks again ... RW "booklover" <robinwhitman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1172329557.423364.23369...

Error 0 occured at printing invoke node blb bla bla..., if I try to change the Postscript printing to bitmap printing using Options-printing menu.
Who might comment why I can not change the printing type without Error message in LV8.0.1. LV6.0 worked OK. Info: It is Russian locale system. BR Vladi &nbsp; ...

CD printing, Scanning, and printing
I have a need for professional looking one off CD's. I had been using HP lightscribe system to make these CD's Now that HP has dropped that system, and to my knowledge no one currently supports that system on Windows 8.1, I am looking for a new way of creating the CD's. Can some one suggest a printer/scanner that will print to the printable-CD's, that will run on Windows 8.1, and will be around in the future? From: "Keith Nuttle" <Keith_Nuttle@sbcglobal.net> > I have a need for professional looking one off CD's. I had been using >...

Print Reports as PDF: Cannot print
I have a procedure to automate .pdf reports. I set the default printer to the pdfwriter driver before running. When the procedure runs, some of the reports get an error: "Cannot print, the file is in use or locked". Any ideas? Win2k and Access v8. This sounds like a problem with PDFWriter, not with Access. Is it possible that you're trying to print to an open file? -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (No private e-mails, please) "Access Guy" <accessguy1010@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:365f86b8.0401090859.66eb2bb@posting.google.com... > I have a procedure to automate .pdf reports. I set the default > printer to the pdfwriter driver before running. When the procedure > runs, some of the reports get an error: "Cannot print, the file is in > use or locked". Any ideas? > Win2k and Access v8. ...

Large prints
Is it possible to print a picture (gif, jpg, etc) with larger sizes than sheets of paper (8.5 by 11 inches) like 2 feet by 3 feet On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:26:39 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers "Jacques Desgagn�" <desgagne@sympatico.ca> wrote: >Is it possible to print a picture (gif, jpg, etc) with larger sizes than >sheets of paper (8.5 by 11 inches) like 2 feet by 3 feet Sure. There are large format printers capable of this. There are also printing utils that allow you to tile a large poster across multiple pages, such as Qimage. ---------- Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com) http://EdwardGRuf.com Jacques Desgagn� wrote: > Is it possible to print a picture (gif, jpg, etc) with larger sizes than > sheets of paper (8.5 by 11 inches) like 2 feet by 3 feet The fact that you are asking this question indicates that you are not a professional printer, so I presume you are asking if you can print poster size pictures with a consumer level printer and scanner/digital camera combination. Sure, both via software (as mentioned by other posters) and/or a large format printer (which costs loadsadough). But unless you have a really hi-res image (ie around 4000 pixels along the short dimension) it won't look good "at normal viewing distances" of about 2-4ft. It will be noticeably blurry. If the poster is going to be hung where normal viewing distance is 5-6ft or more, it will lo...

Print preview and print scaling
------=_Part_199_22176463.1208355351678 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Hey guys, I'm a little confused about the printing framework. I have a graphic thats been created in A3 size. When I import it into my program I scale it to fit the size of my panel. However I want to print the image off to an A3 printer from my software. I want to be able tp print preview it and see the entire preview of the page and then print it. Problem is I cant seem to get it to look correct. As the same printout object is b...

Print to w2k print server
I have an AIX queue setup that points to an w2k print server. The queue there is setup as PCL and point to a Xerox Workcentre Pro 265. When jobs are submitted from Win, they can orient as portrait or landscape. When I submit from AIX, I always get portrait. How can I control the orientation when submitting the job from AIX? This is AIX 5.1. The qconfig entry looks like this. cptest2: device = @acnprint1 up = TRUE host = acnprint1 s_statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/bsdshort l_statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/bsdlong rq = ANWP-X265-L2IS @acnprint1: bac...

Large prints
Hi I am trying to create a large print by cutting an image into four A4 pieces, printing each ant then joining the prints together. Having problems with alignment. Is there an easier way of doing this. Charles Thanks Mike C "Mike Russell" <RE-MOVEmike@Curvemeister.comRE-MOVE> wrote in message news:T_zcg.75949$_S7.34888@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com... > "Charles" <ce.mason@telkomsa.net> wrote in message > news:e4uaq0$qpv$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net... > > Hi > > I am trying to create a large print by cutting an image into four A4 > > pieces, &...

printing works, pretty print not
Sorry! I thought I was posting to a german news group .... I have Problms with Printing in xemacs. Printing works, with the default Printer. Pretty-Print just says Pinting .. ok, but there is no Printout, and no job in the spool directories. Thanks and regards Florian -- http://www.reichertnet.de >>>>> "Florian" == Florian Reichert <florianr@gmx.de> writes: Florian> Sorry! I thought I was posting to a german news group Florian> .... I have Problms with Printing in xemacs. Printing Florian> works, with the default Pr...

Pretty printing the pretty print.
For the first time ever, I have needed to print some code fragments. The default print file command in the GNAT studio produced black and white plain text. Is there something that will produce a more "illuminated" output? -- "Why," said Ford squatting down beside him and shivering, "are you lying face down in the dust?" "It's a very effective way of being wretched," said Marvin. Mike ;-( On 25.09.13 12:36, Mike H wrote: > For the first time ever, I have needed to print some code fragments. The default print file command in the GNAT studio produced black and white plain text. Is there something that will produce a more "illuminated" output? > Emacs has customizable highlighting; buffers can be printed. Thomas Wolf's AdaBrowse, if it helps in this case, http://home.datacomm.ch/t_wolf/tw/ada95/adabrowse/index.html And, shameless plug: http://home.arcor.de/bauhaus/Tools/ASnip/ But the latter hasn't been updated for some time... On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:36:52 AM UTC-4, Mike H wrote: > For the first time ever, I have needed to print some code fragments. The default print file command in the GNAT studio produced black and white plain text. Is there something that will produce a more "illuminated" output? Which platform? On Linux GPS printes using a2ps. I use the a2ps "--prologue=color" switch to print the color syntax highlighting. For exampl...

How to stop print printing spaces?
Hi: I've conjured up the idea of building a hex line editor as a first real Python programming exercise. To begin figuring out how to display a line of data as two-digit hex bytes, I created a hunk of data then printed it: ln = '\x00\x01\xFF 456789abcdef' for i in range(0,15): print '%.2X ' % ord(ln[i]), This prints: 00 01 FF 20 34 35 36 37 38 39 61 62 63 64 65 because print adds a space after each invocation. I only want one space, which I get if I omit the space in the format string above. But this is annoying, since print is doing more than w...

print
I have a problem when I try to print a 2000i2 file (drw) with an inkjet printer ( A3 format ). How I can do? Thanks ...

Web resources about - Basic V for the Acorn Archimedes - in print.. Large print.. - comp.sys.acorn.announce

Archimedes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Other mathematical achievements include deriving an accurate approximation of pi , defining and investigating the spiral bearing his name, and ...

Archimedes - Wikipedia
Archimedes of Syracuse (; BC – BC) was a Greek mathematician, physicist, engineer, inventor, and astronomer. Although few details of his life ...

Archimedes
I had always believed Archimedes spent a certain amount of time running through the streets of Syracuse shouting "Eureka, I have found it!" Perhaps ...

Archimedes Scientific Calculator App Goes 2.0 With iOS 7 Redesign And More
Eureka! Archimedes is back with its big 2.0 update. The touch-based scientific calculator app was released in August 2012 and updated several ...

Price Drop: Archimedes Calculator
Archimedes Calculator 3.2 Device: iOS Universal Category: Education Price: Free, Version: 3.2 ( iTunes ) Description: Archimedes is the scientific ...

Archimedes Pi Estimation - Business Insider
Here's how the ancient Greeks found the first few digits of pi. Wikimedia Commons Archimedes Happy Pi Day! It's March 14, or 3/14, matching ...

Archimedes on the Potomac
By a 10-8 vote the Senate Judiciary Committee Tuesday sent the controversial nomination of former Sen. John Ashcroft as U.S. attorney general ...

Eureka! Archimedes scientific calculator gets major update
Scientific calculator app Archimedes has received its first significant update in quite a while. Adding the expected iOS 7-compatible design ...

God of War: Ascension's Trials of Archimedes to be nerfed
God of War: Ascension is finally out, and players have been up in arms about one particular part of the game the Trial of Archimedes. In this ...

Archimedes' Dream: Pi on an OLED ray
Sure, you can roll old school with a Waterford chandelier slung from the ceiling. Better yet, why not fantasize about ancient mathematical screws ...