!Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ?

Hi,

A long time ago (RO 3.1), I sometimes used the printer:$ window (IIRC)
to directly send a specific sequence of bytes to a printer.

Lately, I wanted to do the same thing under RISC OS 3.7 and printers
1.53.

However *filer_opendir printer:$ gives:
��#:devices#buffer3:$.Parallel$ - the name was not recognised

The error is also displayed when I click CTRL-Print in Zap

*Show print* gives:

PrintDefs$Dir :
ADFS::HardDisc4.$.Apps.Printers16.!Boot.Resources.!PrintDefs
PrintDefs$Path :
ADFS::HardDisc4.$.Apps.Printers16.!Boot.Resources.!PrintDefs.Printers.
Printer$ : PoScript2
Printer$Path : ADFS::HardDisc4.$.Printout
PrinterChoices$Path : Boot:Choices.Printers.
Printers$Dir : ADFS::HardDisc4.$.Apps.!Printers
Printers$Path : Choices:Printers.,ADFS::HardDisc4.$.Apps.!Printers.
PrinterType$0 : null:
PrinterType$1 : devices#buffer3:$.Parallel
PrinterType$2 : devices#buffer3:$.Serial
PrinterType$5 : ADFS::HardDisc4.$.Printout

I installed !Printers 1.67 from acorn.riscos.com today, but I still get
the same error. I can live with this problem for the time being, since I
can print from Draw, Artworks and my main apps (except !PDF which hangs
the machine, perhaps because presumably it sends output to Printer:$).
However, since I want to share my Laserjet3 with my wife's PC before
Xmas, I'd better have this problem sorted soon.

Any help appreciated (I googled with the printer:$ keyword but :$ is
completely discarded which makes searching a pain).

--
J�r�me Mathevet
comp.sys.acorn.apps 4795 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
   J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:

> A long time ago (RO 3.1), I sometimes used the printer:$ window (IIRC)
> to directly send a specific sequence of bytes to a printer.

I don't believe this can be done any more.

Printer: is now a file path, not a directory.

Null, vdu and keyboard can still be opened as a window, but now require an
extra colon - eg:

        Filer_OpenDir Null::$

        Filer_OpenDir Rawkbd:

I was upset at the time, as I'd got used to doing what you did, and had
just got used to the syntax when it was altered!

Hope this is of some help,

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
          "John Williams (News)" <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
>    J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:
>
> > A long time ago (RO 3.1), I sometimes used the printer:$ window
> > (IIRC) to directly send a specific sequence of bytes to a printer.
>
> I don't believe this can be done any more.
>
> Printer: is now a file path, not a directory.
>
> Null, vdu and keyboard can still be opened as a window, but now
> require an extra colon - eg:
>
>         Filer_OpenDir Null::$
>
>         Filer_OpenDir Rawkbd:
>
> I was upset at the time, as I'd got used to doing what you did, and
> had just got used to the syntax when it was altered!

Grrrr !!

The fact that you can still *copy* a printfile to printer: is all the
more intriguing and made me feel there was something I was doing wrong.
The printer:$ window would have been so much simpler for my wife (she
has to print to file via the laserjet3 printer in Windows, transfer the
file and issue a *copy <file> printer: in a taskwindow - the kind of
geeky command I would have liked to save her)

> Hope this is of some help,

Yes, very much, this proves I haven't accidently broken something on my
setup. However, I hope this won't prevent me from sharing my printer to
a Win98 machine thru Samba.

--
J�r�me Mathevet
In article <4c5057db12UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>, John Williams
(News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> Null, vdu and keyboard can still be opened as a window, but
> now require an extra colon - eg:

>         Filer_OpenDir Null::$

Not so here, with RO 4.02, 4.33 or 4.37

I have a little filer always open for moving files into a black
hole.  This is created in a boot file by the line

Filer_OpenDir NULL:$ 2454 2170 122 156 -sn -si

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK  bric at f2s dot com
bric (47)
11/12/2003 9:02:57 PM
In article <4c505feaa5bric@argonet.co.uk>,
   Brian Carroll <bric@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> >         Filer_OpenDir Null::$

> Not so here, with RO 4.02, 4.33 or 4.37

> I have a little filer always open for moving files into a black
> hole.  This is created in a boot file by the line

You must remember I never took the plunge to RISC OS 4!

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/12/2003 9:21:25 PM
In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
   J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:

> I installed !Printers 1.67 from acorn.riscos.com today...

Do you mean www.riscos.com

I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the exact
location of !Printers 1.67 please.

Thanks

Bob

--
Bob Ansell
Bob@EdWeb.co.uk
          Bob Ansell <bob@edweb.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
>    J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:
>

> > I installed !Printers 1.67 from acorn.riscos.com today...
>
> Do you mean www.riscos.com
>
> I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the exact
> location of !Printers 1.67 please.

alternative is at http://www.castle.org.uk/support/usb  BTW

John

--
John Ballance
jwb@rosery.net

In message <99d75b504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>
          J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:

> In message <4c5057db12UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>
>           "John Williams (News)" <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
> >    J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > A long time ago (RO 3.1), I sometimes used the printer:$ window
> > > (IIRC) to directly send a specific sequence of bytes to a printer.
> >
> > I don't believe this can be done any more.
> >
> > Printer: is now a file path, not a directory.
> >
> > Null, vdu and keyboard can still be opened as a window, but now
> > require an extra colon - eg:
> >
> >         Filer_OpenDir Null::$
> >
> >         Filer_OpenDir Rawkbd:
> >
> > I was upset at the time, as I'd got used to doing what you did, and
> > had just got used to the syntax when it was altered!
>
> Grrrr !!
>
> The fact that you can still *copy* a printfile to printer: is all the
> more intriguing and made me feel there was something I was doing wrong.
> The printer:$ window would have been so much simpler for my wife (she
> has to print to file via the laserjet3 printer in Windows, transfer the
> file and issue a *copy <file> printer: in a taskwindow - the kind of
> geeky command I would have liked to save her)

IF the filetype has been set to printout (or FF4), then the file can
just be dragged and dropped on the printer icon....

John

--
John Ballance
jwb@rosery.net
In message <4c5063e228bob@edweb.co.uk>
          Bob Ansell <bob@edweb.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
>    J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:
>

> > I installed !Printers 1.67 from acorn.riscos.com today...
>
> Do you mean www.riscos.com
>
> I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the exact
> location of !Printers 1.67 please.

No, I think J�r�me might mean

   http://acorn.riscos.com/

Go to FTP site. !.67 is just below 'NEW' splash graphic.

Ian
--

Health:  the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
0

Yes I /had/ assumed you upgraded to RO 4.xx .  But you said:

> > > Null, vdu and keyboard can still be opened as a window,
> > > but now require an extra colon - eg:

What did you mean by 'now'?  Ie, what caused the change you
describe - !Printers or RISC OS?

I  find after looking at it more carefully that both null:$ and
null::$ work the same - they both open a window.

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK  bric at f2s dot com
bric (47)
11/13/2003 8:22:55 AM
In article <4c509e2b5bbric@argonet.co.uk>,
   Brian Carroll <bric@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> What did you mean by 'now'?  Ie, what caused the change you
> describe - !Printers or RISC OS?

RISC OS 3.6 (and presumably 3.5) changed the way the devices worked from
3.1.

Lots of little obey files I had on the A3000 broke/had to be altered.

That's when the way the printer device worked was changed.

By now I mean 3.6 and presumably later versions.

There is 'now' a devices filing system - root at Devices:$ which will
display parallel and serial ports - I wonder if it does a usb device if so
equipped?

I see you're right about the double colon - I was just replying from
examples in my old 'devices' folder where I keep the devices stuff.

The printer: path definitely used to be a directory you could open a filer
window for in the same way as the kbd: and null: and drop files in to send
to the printer, and this was changed after 3.1x.

That this /was/ so is evidenced by this extract from the helpfile of the
(now broken) SysDevices application by Alex Hayward from 1994 (RU 1995):

> SysDevices provides a simple way of opening directory viewers onto the
> various system devices available in RISC OS 3. These are vdu:, rawvdu:,
> netprint:, null:, pipe:, devices: and the various printer ports (#null,
> #parallel, #serial and #user). For good measure the program can also open
> Wimp$Scrap, and the System and Library directories.

> [Snip]

> The third option is Open, which leads to a submenu listing all the
> devices described above. The entry for printer: leads to a further
> submenu containing the four named printer ports plus a writable entry to
> allow you to enter any other port number. Choosing one of the menu
> options opens a directory viewer onto the chosen device.

> This can be useful for a number of purposes. For example, to send a file
> to the parallel port, copy it as Parallel, open devices: and drag the
> file to devices:$. To delete a locked file without having to change its
> access details, Shift-drag it into null:$. To print ASCII text files
> without loading the printer driver you can drag them to printer:.

So my posting was like the curate's egg.

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/13/2003 10:20:52 AM
On 13 Nov 2003 as I do recall,
          John Williams (News) wrote:

[snip]

> The printer: path definitely used to be a directory you could open a filer
> window for in the same way as the kbd: and null: and drop files in to send
> to the printer, and this was changed after 3.1x.
>
> That this /was/ so is evidenced by this extract from the helpfile of the
> (now broken) SysDevices application by Alex Hayward from 1994 (RU 1995):

I can confirm that dropping things into a printer: directory certainly
works for me under RISC OS 3.1, not that this does you much good.   :-(

--
Harriet Bazley                     ==  Loyaulte me lie ==

We prefer to speak evil of ourselves than not speak of ourselves at all.
0
news3808 (66)
11/13/2003 7:35:21 PM
In article <4c50a8f7afUCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>, "John Williams (News)"
<UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> The printer: path definitely used to be a directory you could open a filer
> window for in the same way as the kbd: and null: and drop files in to send
> to the printer, and this was changed after 3.1x.

I haven't been following this very closely, so I may be missing something
here, but when I press F12 then type

filer_opendir Printer:$

then press Return

when I get back to the desktop there is an open filer window for Printer:$

This is under RISC OS 3.7.  So what exactly was changed after 3.1x?

Bob

--

Bob Potter       |         bob.potter@argonet.co.uk

0
bob.potter (58)
11/14/2003 7:51:52 AM
In article <na.6d1f294c51.a70320bob.potter@argonet.co.uk>,
   Bob Potter <bob.potter@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> I haven't been following this very closely, so I may be missing something
> here, but when I press F12 then type

> filer_opendir Printer:$

> then press Return

> when I get back to the desktop there is an open filer window for Printer:$

When I do it under 3.60 I get an error box - error opening file etc.

> This is under RISC OS 3.7.  So what exactly was changed after 3.1x?

The mystery deepens! Do you have a magic module loaded that I haven't got?

Will it work as well from an Obey file?

What OS is J�r�me using, I wonder?

Could it be only 3.6 that has this problem? If so, I will put my 3.7 chips
in directly!

Can we have evidence from another 3.7 user, please? And later OS versions.

I have tried it without a Boot as well with the same error report.

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/14/2003 10:14:46 AM
In article <na.6d1f294c51.a70320bob.potter@argonet.co.uk>, Bob Potter
<bob.potter@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> I haven't been following this very closely, so I may be missing something
> here, but when I press F12 then type
>
> filer_opendir Printer:$
>
> then press Return
>
> when I get back to the desktop there is an open filer window for Printer:$

This also happens under 4.02

Ted

Ted Lacey - ZFC LXXXI  -  RiscPC600 - StrongArmed                                                                           tedell@argonet.co.uk

0
tedell (1)
11/14/2003 1:40:03 PM
In message <4c512c3eaeUCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>
          "John Williams (News)" <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <na.6d1f294c51.a70320bob.potter@argonet.co.uk>,
>    Bob Potter <bob.potter@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I haven't been following this very closely, so I may be missing something
> > here, but when I press F12 then type
> > filer_opendir Printer:$ then
> > press Return when I get back to the desktop there is an open filer  window
> > for Printer:$

This works here too - *IF* Printers is NOT loaded! If I run Printers
then I get

***Error***
14 Nov 15:20:14 100   Title    : Error from Filer
14 Nov 15:20:14 100   Task     : Filer
14 Nov 15:20:14 100   Message  : Error when reading
SCSI::Obelix.$.Printing.Printout - 'SCSI::Obelix.$.Printing.Printout' is
a file 14 Nov 15:20:14 100

 [snip]

> Can we have evidence from another 3.7 user, please? And later OS versions.

This is with RISC OS Select - 4.37

regards
Bent Bracke
0
bbracke (58)
11/14/2003 2:22:08 PM
John Williams (News) wrote:
> In article <na.6d1f294c51.a70320bob.potter@argonet.co.uk>,
>    Bob Potter <bob.potter@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I haven't been following this very closely, so I may be missing
>> something here, but when I press F12 then type
>
>> filer_opendir Printer:$
>
>> then press Return
>
>> when I get back to the desktop there is an open filer window for
>> Printer:$
>
> When I do it under 3.60 I get an error box - error opening file etc.
>
>> This is under RISC OS 3.7.  So what exactly was changed after 3.1x?
>
> The mystery deepens! Do you have a magic module loaded that I haven't
> got?
>
> Will it work as well from an Obey file?
>
> What OS is J�r�me using, I wonder?
>
> Could it be only 3.6 that has this problem? If so, I will put my 3.7
> chips in directly!
>
> Can we have evidence from another 3.7 user, please? And later OS
> versions.

Just tried it on my RO 3.7 box and it works fine!

*Filer_Opendir Printer:$, and window opens. Although !Printers must not be
loaded, as saomeone else said...

HTH!

Samuel
--
Samuel Kock
Your mouse has moved. Please restart Windows for the change to take

0
samuelk1 (85)
11/14/2003 4:49:46 PM
In article <bp3199$8e5$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>,
   skok <samuelk@global.xhosa> wrote:

> *Filer_Opendir Printer:$, and window opens. Although !Printers must not be
> loaded, as saomeone else said...

Thank you, Samuel.

It (AISB) doesn't with or without Printers here under 3.60, so there are
evidently differences.

Mark you, a printer window that disappears when a driver is loaded doesn't
sound very much use - more in the chocolate teapot department, that one,
and certainly no use to J�r�me for his wife's printout files.

I see on looking back that he is using 3.7 as well.

Are their any OS authors listening who can throw light on this?

It would seem quite easy to put together a little application to provide a
window where files dropped there would be sent straight to the printer.

I might have a go at that unless someone else particularly wants to.

That would allow J�r�me to continue as he wishes without the complication
for his wife of filetyping files and changing where she drops them.

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/14/2003 5:18:44 PM
In message <add698504c.jb@rosery.net>
          jb <jwb@rosery.net> wrote:

[snip]
> IF the filetype has been set to printout (or FF4), then the file can
> just be dragged and dropped on the printer icon....

Thanks John, I'll pass it on to my other half

--
J�r�me Mathevet
In message <4c5063e228bob@edweb.co.uk>
          Bob Ansell <bob@edweb.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
>    J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:
>

> > I installed !Printers 1.67 from acorn.riscos.com today...
>
> Do you mean www.riscos.com
>
> I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the
> exact location of !Printers 1.67 please.

No sorry, my fault, it was http://acorn.riscos.com, as Ian Lowry guessed
in another message.

However, it's very strange that people have reported being able to open
the printer:$ filer window under OS 4 and up. Can anyone with a printer
and OS > 4 confirm they can print by dropping a file to printer:$ ?

BTW, my OS is 3.7 (until Xmas where I'll finally "break the bank" and
buy OS 4 - and a few other things)

--
J�r�me Mathevet
In article <4c51530fa9UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>, John Williams
(News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> It (AISB) doesn't with or without Printers here under 3.60, so
> there are evidently differences.

> Mark you, a printer window that disappears when a driver is
> loaded doesn't sound very much use - more in the chocolate
> teapot department, that one, and certainly no use to J�r�me
> for his wife's printout files.

> I see on looking back that he is using 3.7 as well.

[Snip]

> That would allow J�r�me to continue as he wishes without the
> complication for his wife of filetyping files and changing
> where she drops them.

Possibly I am losing (or have already lost) the plot, but why
can't J�r�me "send a specific sequence of bytes to a printer" by
constructing a text file containing the bytes, filetyping it to
Printout (&FF4), and dropping it on the iconbar icon of the
appropriate printer?

This still seems to work in RISC OS v4.37, and is a method I
used years ago when a friend and I had a PC and an A310
respectively, but the same HP DJ500 printers.

An alternative was to *Copy <printout_file> printer:

Ooh! We can keep this intriguing thread going for ages :-)

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK  bric at f2s dot com
bric (47)
11/14/2003 6:08:57 PM
In article <4c5157a862bric@argonet.co.uk>,
   Brian Carroll <bric@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Possibly I am losing (or have already lost) the plot, but why
> can't J�r�me "send a specific sequence of bytes to a printer" by
> constructing a text file containing the bytes, filetyping it to
> Printout (&FF4), and dropping it on the iconbar icon of the
> appropriate printer?

> This still seems to work in RISC OS v4.37, and is a method I
> used years ago when a friend and I had a PC and an A310
> respectively, but the same HP DJ500 printers.

> An alternative was to *Copy <printout_file> printer:

He can, but feels that a drop-window would be easier for his wife to handle.

He is evidently an attentive and thoughtful husband.

Luckily I am a true friend and have almost finished the little app to
provide this for him.

Keep your eye on the space below!

Best wishes,

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/14/2003 6:19:36 PM
In article <4c5158a1f8UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>,
   John Williams (News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Luckily I am a true friend and have almost finished the little app to
> provide this for him.

> Keep your eye on the space below!

My prototype version is to be found at:

        http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jrwmail/software/download/prwnd.zip

should anyone want to use this nostalgic method of printing printer-ready
files.

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/14/2003 9:01:24 PM
In article <4c51530fa9UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>,
   John Williams (News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> It would seem quite easy to put together a little application to provide
> a window where files dropped there would be sent straight to the printer.

> I might have a go at that unless someone else particularly wants to.

Why do you need to do that, when dropping the file on the printer icon on
the icon bar will do the same job?

--
 __  __  __  __      __ ___   _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/  \|\ ||_   |   / Acorn StrongArm Risc_PC
|  ||  \\__/\__/| \||__  |  /...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines
___________________________/ dhwild@argonet.co.uk
0
dhwild (153)
11/14/2003 9:29:18 PM
In message <4c516a004bdhwild@argonet.co.uk>
          David H Wild <dhwild@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <4c51530fa9UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>,
>    John Williams (News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > It would seem quite easy to put together a little application to provide
> > a window where files dropped there would be sent straight to the printer.
>
> > I might have a go at that unless someone else particularly wants to.
>
> Why do you need to do that, when dropping the file on the printer icon on
> the icon bar will do the same job?

this will only work if the file is correctly typed.
Surley what you need is an app to check a certain (shared) directory,
and when a file appears there, it is filetyped, and sent to the printer.
Then Mrs whoever need only copy the file to the relavent computer, and
everything else will be taken care of.

Martin.

--
Typed by monkey #27662472869676 on typewriter #7552416572242
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.
   David H Wild <dhwild@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Why do you need to do that, when dropping the file on the printer icon on
> the icon bar will do the same job?

Only if it is appropriately filetyped. The OP wanted something simple for
his wife to use routinely.

Keep up at the back please!

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/14/2003 11:58:58 PM
Variously has been written...

> > I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the
> > exact location of !Printers 1.67 please.

> No sorry, my fault, it was http://acorn.riscos.com, as Ian Lowry guessed
> in another message.

This here printers business is getting to be a mess.
Perhaps someone can illuminate.

I've just looked at the Info panel on the thing I have installed, is says:
1.90b4 (28 Mar 2000) what's that in the scheme of things?

Where does it come in the list of disparate numbers?

Cheers
Dave S

dfs (2099)
11/15/2003 7:31:39 AM
In message <4c5167723aUCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>
          "John Williams (News)" <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <4c5158a1f8UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>,
>    John Williams (News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Luckily I am a true friend and have almost finished the little app to
> > provide this for him.
>
> > Keep your eye on the space below!
>
> My prototype version is to be found at:
>
>         http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jrwmail/software/download/prwnd.zip
>
> should anyone want to use this nostalgic method of printing printer-ready
> files.

Alternatively, since I use Director, I've added the following line to my
Choices:Director.Menus.User.Default file:

| A Director Icon which mimics the Printer:$ filer window
directoricon file_FF4 -priority &0E000000 -dragto "*Copy |<Director$CurrentPath> printer:"

Untested but I can't see why it shouldn't work, plus there's no need for
the file to have the correct filetype.

--
J�r�me Mathevet
>Variously has been written...
>
>> > I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the
>> > exact location of !Printers 1.67 please.
>
>> No sorry, my fault, it was http://acorn.riscos.com, as Ian Lowry guessed
>> in another message.
>
>This here printers business is getting to be a mess.
>Perhaps someone can illuminate.
>
>I've just looked at the Info panel on the thing I have installed, is says:
>1.90b4 (28 Mar 2000) what's that in the scheme of things?
>
>Where does it come in the list of disparate numbers?
>
>Cheers
>Dave S

You want a fuctionally similar 1.91 dated 28/6/03
--
With very best wishes
=====================
          Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> Variously has been written...
>
> > > I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the
> > > exact location of !Printers 1.67 please.
>
> > No sorry, my fault, it was http://acorn.riscos.com, as Ian Lowry guessed
> > in another message.
>
> This here printers business is getting to be a mess.
> Perhaps someone can illuminate.
>
> I've just looked at the Info panel on the thing I have installed, is says:
> 1.90b4 (28 Mar 2000) what's that in the scheme of things?
>
> Where does it come in the list of disparate numbers?

1.90b4 is the version of Printers+ that was supplied with Select. 1.91
is technically the latest version of Printers+ (available from
http://roprinters.sourceforge.net/) but in practice it behaves the same
as 1.90b4. Printers+ has a few more features than standard Printers (on
the website).

1.64a is the latest version of Printers RISCOS Ltd released. 1.67 is
Castle's latest version of Printers (also known as pop-up printers).
Some more details of the features are in RISCOS Ltd's press release
(http://www.riscos.com/news/news_items/PR310503.htm).

David Marston
usenet@illudium.org.uk
0
usenet4924 (23)
11/15/2003 12:41:13 PM
In article <4c512c3eaeUCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>,
   John Williams (News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Can we have evidence from another 3.7 user, please? And later OS
> versions.

Typing filer_opendir printer:$ in a taskwindow here, on RO 3.70/3 gives
an error box saying (as shown by !Reporter):

 14:21:19.89 [TaskWindow\TaskWindow] filer_opendir printer:$
 14:21:19.93 ** WimpError ** from Filer
   Error  : &000000CC
   Message: Error when reading ��#:devices#buffer3:$.Parallel$ - File
  name '��#:devices#buffer3:$.Parallel$' not recognised

Jeremy1 (1807)
11/15/2003 2:22:27 PM
In article <e918b6514c.dswis@freeuk.com>,
   Dave Wisnia <dswis@freeuk.com> wrote:
> >Variously has been written...

> >> No sorry, my fault, it was http://acorn.riscos.com, as Ian Lowry
> >> guessed in another message.
> >
> >This here printers business is getting to be a mess. Perhaps someone
> >can illuminate.
> >
> >I've just looked at the Info panel on the thing I have installed, is
> >says: 1.90b4 (28 Mar 2000) what's that in the scheme of things?
> >
> >Where does it come in the list of disparate numbers?
> >
> >Cheers Dave S
> >
> You want a fuctionally similar 1.91 dated 28/6/03

Erm! do I?
Where might that hang out?

Cheers
Dave S

dfs (2099)

_________________   :-)

> Erm! do I?
> Where might that hang out?

Probably RISC OS, possibly Seelect.

When you get it, you will find that it fixes a bug, for larger than A4
printing with a few printers, that has been there since after 1.53
(which was OK).  The bug is still in the Iyonix version of printers.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim@powys.org
              For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org
   Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@powys.org> wrote:
> In message of 15 Nov, Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> > In article <e918b6514c.dswis@freeuk.com>,
> >    Dave Wisnia <dswis@freeuk.com> wrote:

> > > You want a fuctionally similar 1.91 dated 28/6/03
> _________________   :-)

> > Erm! do I?
> > Where might that hang out?

> Probably RISC OS, possibly Seelect.

> When you get it, you will find that it fixes a bug, for larger than A4
> printing with a few printers, that has been there since after 1.53
> (which was OK).  The bug is still in the Iyonix version of printers.

Been there and looked, couldn't seem to find it though, any additional
thoughts?

Cheers
Dave S

dfs (2099)
11/16/2003 7:15:11 AM
In message <4c522379d7dfs@ukgateway.net>
          Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> In article <20a6e6514c.tim@south-frm.demon.co.uk>,
>    Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@powys.org> wrote:
> > In message of 15 Nov, Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> > _________________   :-)
>

> > > Erm! do I?
> > > Where might that hang out?
>
> > Probably RISC OS, possibly Seelect.
>
> > When you get it, you will find that it fixes a bug, for larger than A4
> > printing with a few printers, that has been there since after 1.53
> > (which was OK).  The bug is still in the Iyonix version of printers.
>
> Been there and looked, couldn't seem to find it though, any additional
> thoughts?

Yes, it's at http://roprinters.sourceforge.net/. I'm sure I said that
yesterday.

David Marston
usenet@illudium.org.uk
0
usenet4924 (23)
11/16/2003 10:50:30 AM
In message <35aea2514c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>
          J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:

> | A Director Icon which mimics the Printer:$ filer window
> directoricon file_FF4 -priority &0E000000 -dragto "*Copy |<Director$CurrentPath> printer:"

I began experimenting, because I didn't think that would do what you want
for all possible values of Printer$Path, and came up with

   DirectorIcon file_FF4 -priority &4fffffff -dragto
     "Command:If ""|||<Printer$Path>""=""Null:"" OR ""|||<Printer$Path>""=""null:"" Then Error |||<Printer$Path>???
     Else If ""|||<Printer$Path>"" RIGHT 1 = ""."" Then Copy |||<Director$CurrentPath> printer:|||<Director$CurrentLeaf> ~C~V
     Else Copy |||<Director$CurrentPath> printer: ~C~V"

(that's all one one line, in an Obey file).

Originally I used a more meaningful (and more verbose) error message, but,
when the file is *Obey'ed, that provoked another problem: Director 0.36
seems (silently) to truncate the command to 256 bytes, even on systems
which support a longer command buffer.  When the file is *DirectorObey'ed
it reports

   Line too long. at line 12 in file Director:Menus.User.Default

even though it's the thirteenth line which is causing the problem.

You may prefer to use a command other than *Copy.  If your wife
inadvertently drags a file of several megabytes to that icon you'll
find that the system freezes until print has completed.   :-(

Chris
0
chrism (136)
11/18/2003 9:38:35 AM
In message <4C533846B8%chrism@spuddy.mew.co.uk>
          Chris Manning <chrism@spuddy.mew.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <35aea2514c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>
>           J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:
>
> > | A Director Icon which mimics the Printer:$ filer window
> > directoricon file_FF4 -priority &0E000000 -dragto "*Copy
> > |<Director$CurrentPath> printer:"
>
> I began experimenting, because I didn't think that would do what you
> want for all possible values of Printer$Path, and came up with
>
>    DirectorIcon file_FF4 -priority &4fffffff -dragto
>      "Command:If ""|||<Printer$Path>""=""Null:"" OR
> ""|||<Printer$Path>""=""null:"" Then Error |||<Printer$Path>???
>      Else If ""|||<Printer$Path>"" RIGHT 1 = ""."" Then Copy
>      Else Copy |||<Director$CurrentPath> printer: ~C~V"
>
> (that's all one one line, in an Obey file).

I don't see why you're using a triple pipe before system variables, but
then I'm probably thick. ~C~V added however.

> Originally I used a more meaningful (and more verbose) error message,
> but, when the file is *Obey'ed, that provoked another problem:
> Director 0.36 seems (silently) to truncate the command to 256 bytes,
> even on systems which support a longer command buffer.

You could define Macros to reduce the length of the command, surely ?

> When the file is *DirectorObey'ed it reports
>
>    Line too long. at line 12 in file Director:Menus.User.Default
>
> even though it's the thirteenth line which is causing the problem.

> You may prefer to use a command other than *Copy.  If your wife
> inadvertently drags a file of several megabytes to that icon you'll
> find that the system freezes until print has completed.   :-(

What else do you suggest ? The command attached to the -dragto switch
could run a TaskObey file to *copy in the background ? Or a dummy Wimp
application which polls between bytes sent to the printer ?

Anyway, I very much doubt she'll ever send such a large file to printer:
since she has to transfer them via a 1.44 MB floppy disk ;-)

--
J�r�me Mathevet
In message <34e431544c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>
          J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:

>>    DirectorIcon file_FF4 -priority &4fffffff -dragto
>>      "Command:If ""|||<Printer$Path>""=""Null:"" OR

[snip]

>> (that's all one one line, in an Obey file).

> I don't see why you're using a triple pipe before system variables,

I do.   :-)

> but then I'm probably thick.

I guess it's just a matter of personal preference: I'm not in the habit
of expanding variables earlier than is necessary, which is probably a
result of suffering interminable Buffer Overflows before the longer
command line came along.

[Director]Obey'ing

   DirectorIcon file_FF4 -priority &4fffffff -dragto "Command:If ""|||<Printer$Path>"" RIGHT 1 = ""."" Then Copy |||<Director$CurrentPath> printer:...

results in

   DirectorRun
   If "<Printer$Path>" RIGHT 1 = "." Then Copy <Director$CurrentPath> printer:...
   Copy <Director$CurrentPath> printer: ~C~V

when the file's dragged to the icon, whereas with

   DirectorIcon file_FF4 -priority &4fffffff -dragto "Command:If ""|<Printer$Path>"" RIGHT 1 = ""."" Then Copy |<Director$CurrentPath> printer:...

you get

   DirectorRun
   If "FastSpool:" RIGHT 1 = "." Then Copy RAM::RamDisc0.$.Test printer:...
   Copy RAM::RamDisc0.$.Test printer: ~C~V

in the case with which I experimented.  It makes no real difference here,
but it might do if Printer$Path or Director$CurrentPath either points to
an object deep in the directory tree, or expands to a string containing
"strange" characters.

>> Originally I used a more meaningful (and more verbose) error message,
>> but, when the file is *Obey'ed, that provoked another problem:
>> Director 0.36 seems (silently) to truncate the command to 256 bytes,
>> even on systems which support a longer command buffer.

> You could define Macros to reduce the length of the command, surely ?

I could, but *silently* truncating a command is surely unacceptable, so
I was hoping that the Director maintainer would bite.  Sadly he seems not
to be reading.

>> You may prefer to use a command other than *Copy.  If your wife
>> inadvertently drags a file of several megabytes to that icon you'll
>> find that the system freezes until print has completed.   :-(

> What else do you suggest ?

*cat, the GNU version?

> The command attached to the -dragto switch could run a TaskObey file
> to *copy in the background ?

But you can't *Copy in the background: the code runs in SVC mode, and
can't be made to multi-task.  At least, that's how I (mis?)understand
what happens.  It wasn't the lack of multi-tasking which worried me,
but the inability to cancel a print because Escape, Alt-Break too, can
be ineffective.

> Or a dummy Wimp application which polls between bytes sent to the
> printer ?

Almost anything in a task window, other than *Copy, or so I imagine,
but I'll leave the experimentation to you.   ;-)

> Anyway, I very much doubt she'll ever send such a large file to printer:
> since she has to transfer them via a 1.44 MB floppy disk ;-)

:-)

Chris
0
chrism (136)
11/23/2003 7:51:48 PM
On 23 Nov, in message <4C5603992F%chrism@spuddy.mew.co.uk>
  Chris Manning <chrism@spuddy.mew.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <34e431544c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>
>          J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:

[snip]

>>> Originally I used a more meaningful (and more verbose) error message,
>>> but, when the file is *Obey'ed, that provoked another problem:
>>> Director 0.36 seems (silently) to truncate the command to 256 bytes,
>>> even on systems which support a longer command buffer.
>
>> You could define Macros to reduce the length of the command, surely ?
>
>I could, but *silently* truncating a command is surely unacceptable, so
>I was hoping that the Director maintainer would bite.  Sadly he seems not
>to be reading.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Yours,

Phil L.
--
http://www.philipnet.com               http://director.sourceforge.net
 The From address is valid, but anything >8k is deleted by the server

0
nospam8024 (635)