!Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ?

Hi,

A long time ago (RO 3.1), I sometimes used the printer:$ window (IIRC)
to directly send a specific sequence of bytes to a printer.

Lately, I wanted to do the same thing under RISC OS 3.7 and printers
1.53.

However *filer_opendir printer:$ gives:
��#:devices#buffer3:$.Parallel$ - the name was not recognised

The error is also displayed when I click CTRL-Print in Zap

*Show print* gives:

PrintDefs$Dir :
ADFS::HardDisc4.$.Apps.Printers16.!Boot.Resources.!PrintDefs
PrintDefs$Path :
ADFS::HardDisc4.$.Apps.Printers16.!Boot.Resources.!PrintDefs.Printers.
Printer$ : PoScript2
Printer$Path : ADFS::HardDisc4.$.Printout
PrinterChoices$Path : Boot:Choices.Printers.
Printers$Dir : ADFS::HardDisc4.$.Apps.!Printers
Printers$Path : Choices:Printers.,ADFS::HardDisc4.$.Apps.!Printers.
PrinterType$0 : null:
PrinterType$1 : devices#buffer3:$.Parallel
PrinterType$2 : devices#buffer3:$.Serial
PrinterType$5 : ADFS::HardDisc4.$.Printout

I installed !Printers 1.67 from acorn.riscos.com today, but I still get
the same error. I can live with this problem for the time being, since I
can print from Draw, Artworks and my main apps (except !PDF which hangs
the machine, perhaps because presumably it sends output to Printer:$).
However, since I want to share my Laserjet3 with my wife's PC before
Xmas, I'd better have this problem sorted soon.

Any help appreciated (I googled with the printer:$ keyword but :$ is
completely discarded which makes searching a pain).

--
J�r�me Mathevet
comp.sys.acorn.apps 4795 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
   J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:

> A long time ago (RO 3.1), I sometimes used the printer:$ window (IIRC)
> to directly send a specific sequence of bytes to a printer.

I don't believe this can be done any more.

Printer: is now a file path, not a directory.

Null, vdu and keyboard can still be opened as a window, but now require an
extra colon - eg:

        Filer_OpenDir Null::$

        Filer_OpenDir Rawkbd:

I was upset at the time, as I'd got used to doing what you did, and had
just got used to the syntax when it was altered!

Hope this is of some help,

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
          "John Williams (News)" <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
>    J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:
>
> > A long time ago (RO 3.1), I sometimes used the printer:$ window
> > (IIRC) to directly send a specific sequence of bytes to a printer.
>
> I don't believe this can be done any more.
>
> Printer: is now a file path, not a directory.
>
> Null, vdu and keyboard can still be opened as a window, but now
> require an extra colon - eg:
>
>         Filer_OpenDir Null::$
>
>         Filer_OpenDir Rawkbd:
>
> I was upset at the time, as I'd got used to doing what you did, and
> had just got used to the syntax when it was altered!

Grrrr !!

The fact that you can still *copy* a printfile to printer: is all the
more intriguing and made me feel there was something I was doing wrong.
The printer:$ window would have been so much simpler for my wife (she
has to print to file via the laserjet3 printer in Windows, transfer the
file and issue a *copy <file> printer: in a taskwindow - the kind of
geeky command I would have liked to save her)

> Hope this is of some help,

Yes, very much, this proves I haven't accidently broken something on my
setup. However, I hope this won't prevent me from sharing my printer to
a Win98 machine thru Samba.

--
J�r�me Mathevet
In article <4c5057db12UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>, John Williams
(News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> Null, vdu and keyboard can still be opened as a window, but
> now require an extra colon - eg:

>         Filer_OpenDir Null::$

Not so here, with RO 4.02, 4.33 or 4.37

I have a little filer always open for moving files into a black
hole.  This is created in a boot file by the line

Filer_OpenDir NULL:$ 2454 2170 122 156 -sn -si

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK  bric at f2s dot com
bric (47)
11/12/2003 9:02:57 PM
In article <4c505feaa5bric@argonet.co.uk>,
   Brian Carroll <bric@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> >         Filer_OpenDir Null::$

> Not so here, with RO 4.02, 4.33 or 4.37

> I have a little filer always open for moving files into a black
> hole.  This is created in a boot file by the line

You must remember I never took the plunge to RISC OS 4!

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/12/2003 9:21:25 PM
In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
   J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:

> I installed !Printers 1.67 from acorn.riscos.com today...

Do you mean www.riscos.com

I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the exact
location of !Printers 1.67 please.

Thanks

Bob

--
Bob Ansell
Bob@EdWeb.co.uk
          Bob Ansell <bob@edweb.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
>    J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:
>

> > I installed !Printers 1.67 from acorn.riscos.com today...
>
> Do you mean www.riscos.com
>
> I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the exact
> location of !Printers 1.67 please.

alternative is at http://www.castle.org.uk/support/usb  BTW

John

--
John Ballance
jwb@rosery.net

In message <99d75b504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>
          J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:

> In message <4c5057db12UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>
>           "John Williams (News)" <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
> >    J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > A long time ago (RO 3.1), I sometimes used the printer:$ window
> > > (IIRC) to directly send a specific sequence of bytes to a printer.
> >
> > I don't believe this can be done any more.
> >
> > Printer: is now a file path, not a directory.
> >
> > Null, vdu and keyboard can still be opened as a window, but now
> > require an extra colon - eg:
> >
> >         Filer_OpenDir Null::$
> >
> >         Filer_OpenDir Rawkbd:
> >
> > I was upset at the time, as I'd got used to doing what you did, and
> > had just got used to the syntax when it was altered!
>
> Grrrr !!
>
> The fact that you can still *copy* a printfile to printer: is all the
> more intriguing and made me feel there was something I was doing wrong.
> The printer:$ window would have been so much simpler for my wife (she
> has to print to file via the laserjet3 printer in Windows, transfer the
> file and issue a *copy <file> printer: in a taskwindow - the kind of
> geeky command I would have liked to save her)

IF the filetype has been set to printout (or FF4), then the file can
just be dragged and dropped on the printer icon....

John

--
John Ballance
jwb@rosery.net
In message <4c5063e228bob@edweb.co.uk>
          Bob Ansell <bob@edweb.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
>    J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:
>

> > I installed !Printers 1.67 from acorn.riscos.com today...
>
> Do you mean www.riscos.com
>
> I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the exact
> location of !Printers 1.67 please.

No, I think J�r�me might mean

   http://acorn.riscos.com/

Go to FTP site. !.67 is just below 'NEW' splash graphic.

Ian
--

Health:  the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
0

Yes I /had/ assumed you upgraded to RO 4.xx .  But you said:

> > > Null, vdu and keyboard can still be opened as a window,
> > > but now require an extra colon - eg:

What did you mean by 'now'?  Ie, what caused the change you
describe - !Printers or RISC OS?

I  find after looking at it more carefully that both null:$ and
null::$ work the same - they both open a window.

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK  bric at f2s dot com
bric (47)
11/13/2003 8:22:55 AM
In article <4c509e2b5bbric@argonet.co.uk>,
   Brian Carroll <bric@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> What did you mean by 'now'?  Ie, what caused the change you
> describe - !Printers or RISC OS?

RISC OS 3.6 (and presumably 3.5) changed the way the devices worked from
3.1.

Lots of little obey files I had on the A3000 broke/had to be altered.

That's when the way the printer device worked was changed.

By now I mean 3.6 and presumably later versions.

There is 'now' a devices filing system - root at Devices:$ which will
display parallel and serial ports - I wonder if it does a usb device if so
equipped?

I see you're right about the double colon - I was just replying from
examples in my old 'devices' folder where I keep the devices stuff.

The printer: path definitely used to be a directory you could open a filer
window for in the same way as the kbd: and null: and drop files in to send
to the printer, and this was changed after 3.1x.

That this /was/ so is evidenced by this extract from the helpfile of the
(now broken) SysDevices application by Alex Hayward from 1994 (RU 1995):

> SysDevices provides a simple way of opening directory viewers onto the
> various system devices available in RISC OS 3. These are vdu:, rawvdu:,
> netprint:, null:, pipe:, devices: and the various printer ports (#null,
> #parallel, #serial and #user). For good measure the program can also open
> Wimp$Scrap, and the System and Library directories.

> [Snip]

> The third option is Open, which leads to a submenu listing all the
> devices described above. The entry for printer: leads to a further
> submenu containing the four named printer ports plus a writable entry to
> allow you to enter any other port number. Choosing one of the menu
> options opens a directory viewer onto the chosen device.

> This can be useful for a number of purposes. For example, to send a file
> to the parallel port, copy it as Parallel, open devices: and drag the
> file to devices:$. To delete a locked file without having to change its
> access details, Shift-drag it into null:$. To print ASCII text files
> without loading the printer driver you can drag them to printer:.

So my posting was like the curate's egg.

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/13/2003 10:20:52 AM
On 13 Nov 2003 as I do recall,
          John Williams (News) wrote:

[snip]

> The printer: path definitely used to be a directory you could open a filer
> window for in the same way as the kbd: and null: and drop files in to send
> to the printer, and this was changed after 3.1x.
>
> That this /was/ so is evidenced by this extract from the helpfile of the
> (now broken) SysDevices application by Alex Hayward from 1994 (RU 1995):

I can confirm that dropping things into a printer: directory certainly
works for me under RISC OS 3.1, not that this does you much good.   :-(

--
Harriet Bazley                     ==  Loyaulte me lie ==

We prefer to speak evil of ourselves than not speak of ourselves at all.
0
news3808 (66)
11/13/2003 7:35:21 PM
In article <4c50a8f7afUCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>, "John Williams (News)"
<UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> The printer: path definitely used to be a directory you could open a filer
> window for in the same way as the kbd: and null: and drop files in to send
> to the printer, and this was changed after 3.1x.

I haven't been following this very closely, so I may be missing something
here, but when I press F12 then type

filer_opendir Printer:$

then press Return

when I get back to the desktop there is an open filer window for Printer:$

This is under RISC OS 3.7.  So what exactly was changed after 3.1x?

Bob

--

Bob Potter       |         bob.potter@argonet.co.uk

0
bob.potter (58)
11/14/2003 7:51:52 AM
In article <na.6d1f294c51.a70320bob.potter@argonet.co.uk>,
   Bob Potter <bob.potter@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> I haven't been following this very closely, so I may be missing something
> here, but when I press F12 then type

> filer_opendir Printer:$

> then press Return

> when I get back to the desktop there is an open filer window for Printer:$

When I do it under 3.60 I get an error box - error opening file etc.

> This is under RISC OS 3.7.  So what exactly was changed after 3.1x?

The mystery deepens! Do you have a magic module loaded that I haven't got?

Will it work as well from an Obey file?

What OS is J�r�me using, I wonder?

Could it be only 3.6 that has this problem? If so, I will put my 3.7 chips
in directly!

Can we have evidence from another 3.7 user, please? And later OS versions.

I have tried it without a Boot as well with the same error report.

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/14/2003 10:14:46 AM
In article <na.6d1f294c51.a70320bob.potter@argonet.co.uk>, Bob Potter
<bob.potter@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> I haven't been following this very closely, so I may be missing something
> here, but when I press F12 then type
>
> filer_opendir Printer:$
>
> then press Return
>
> when I get back to the desktop there is an open filer window for Printer:$

This also happens under 4.02

Ted

Ted Lacey - ZFC LXXXI  -  RiscPC600 - StrongArmed                                                                           tedell@argonet.co.uk

0
tedell (1)
11/14/2003 1:40:03 PM
In message <4c512c3eaeUCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>
          "John Williams (News)" <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <na.6d1f294c51.a70320bob.potter@argonet.co.uk>,
>    Bob Potter <bob.potter@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I haven't been following this very closely, so I may be missing something
> > here, but when I press F12 then type
> > filer_opendir Printer:$ then
> > press Return when I get back to the desktop there is an open filer  window
> > for Printer:$

This works here too - *IF* Printers is NOT loaded! If I run Printers
then I get

***Error***
14 Nov 15:20:14 100   Title    : Error from Filer
14 Nov 15:20:14 100   Task     : Filer
14 Nov 15:20:14 100   Message  : Error when reading
SCSI::Obelix.$.Printing.Printout - 'SCSI::Obelix.$.Printing.Printout' is
a file 14 Nov 15:20:14 100

 [snip]

> Can we have evidence from another 3.7 user, please? And later OS versions.

This is with RISC OS Select - 4.37

regards
Bent Bracke
0
bbracke (58)
11/14/2003 2:22:08 PM
John Williams (News) wrote:
> In article <na.6d1f294c51.a70320bob.potter@argonet.co.uk>,
>    Bob Potter <bob.potter@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I haven't been following this very closely, so I may be missing
>> something here, but when I press F12 then type
>
>> filer_opendir Printer:$
>
>> then press Return
>
>> when I get back to the desktop there is an open filer window for
>> Printer:$
>
> When I do it under 3.60 I get an error box - error opening file etc.
>
>> This is under RISC OS 3.7.  So what exactly was changed after 3.1x?
>
> The mystery deepens! Do you have a magic module loaded that I haven't
> got?
>
> Will it work as well from an Obey file?
>
> What OS is J�r�me using, I wonder?
>
> Could it be only 3.6 that has this problem? If so, I will put my 3.7
> chips in directly!
>
> Can we have evidence from another 3.7 user, please? And later OS
> versions.

Just tried it on my RO 3.7 box and it works fine!

*Filer_Opendir Printer:$, and window opens. Although !Printers must not be
loaded, as saomeone else said...

HTH!

Samuel
--
Samuel Kock
Your mouse has moved. Please restart Windows for the change to take

0
samuelk1 (85)
11/14/2003 4:49:46 PM
In article <bp3199$8e5$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>,
   skok <samuelk@global.xhosa> wrote:

> *Filer_Opendir Printer:$, and window opens. Although !Printers must not be
> loaded, as saomeone else said...

Thank you, Samuel.

It (AISB) doesn't with or without Printers here under 3.60, so there are
evidently differences.

Mark you, a printer window that disappears when a driver is loaded doesn't
sound very much use - more in the chocolate teapot department, that one,
and certainly no use to J�r�me for his wife's printout files.

I see on looking back that he is using 3.7 as well.

Are their any OS authors listening who can throw light on this?

It would seem quite easy to put together a little application to provide a
window where files dropped there would be sent straight to the printer.

I might have a go at that unless someone else particularly wants to.

That would allow J�r�me to continue as he wishes without the complication
for his wife of filetyping files and changing where she drops them.

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/14/2003 5:18:44 PM
In message <add698504c.jb@rosery.net>
          jb <jwb@rosery.net> wrote:

[snip]
> IF the filetype has been set to printout (or FF4), then the file can
> just be dragged and dropped on the printer icon....

Thanks John, I'll pass it on to my other half

--
J�r�me Mathevet
In message <4c5063e228bob@edweb.co.uk>
          Bob Ansell <bob@edweb.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <cd8c44504c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>,
>    J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:
>

> > I installed !Printers 1.67 from acorn.riscos.com today...
>
> Do you mean www.riscos.com
>
> I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the
> exact location of !Printers 1.67 please.

No sorry, my fault, it was http://acorn.riscos.com, as Ian Lowry guessed
in another message.

However, it's very strange that people have reported being able to open
the printer:$ filer window under OS 4 and up. Can anyone with a printer
and OS > 4 confirm they can print by dropping a file to printer:$ ?

BTW, my OS is 3.7 (until Xmas where I'll finally "break the bank" and
buy OS 4 - and a few other things)

--
J�r�me Mathevet
In article <4c51530fa9UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>, John Williams
(News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> It (AISB) doesn't with or without Printers here under 3.60, so
> there are evidently differences.

> Mark you, a printer window that disappears when a driver is
> loaded doesn't sound very much use - more in the chocolate
> teapot department, that one, and certainly no use to J�r�me
> for his wife's printout files.

> I see on looking back that he is using 3.7 as well.

[Snip]

> That would allow J�r�me to continue as he wishes without the
> complication for his wife of filetyping files and changing
> where she drops them.

Possibly I am losing (or have already lost) the plot, but why
can't J�r�me "send a specific sequence of bytes to a printer" by
constructing a text file containing the bytes, filetyping it to
Printout (&FF4), and dropping it on the iconbar icon of the
appropriate printer?

This still seems to work in RISC OS v4.37, and is a method I
used years ago when a friend and I had a PC and an A310
respectively, but the same HP DJ500 printers.

An alternative was to *Copy <printout_file> printer:

Ooh! We can keep this intriguing thread going for ages :-)

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK  bric at f2s dot com
bric (47)
11/14/2003 6:08:57 PM
In article <4c5157a862bric@argonet.co.uk>,
   Brian Carroll <bric@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Possibly I am losing (or have already lost) the plot, but why
> can't J�r�me "send a specific sequence of bytes to a printer" by
> constructing a text file containing the bytes, filetyping it to
> Printout (&FF4), and dropping it on the iconbar icon of the
> appropriate printer?

> This still seems to work in RISC OS v4.37, and is a method I
> used years ago when a friend and I had a PC and an A310
> respectively, but the same HP DJ500 printers.

> An alternative was to *Copy <printout_file> printer:

He can, but feels that a drop-window would be easier for his wife to handle.

He is evidently an attentive and thoughtful husband.

Luckily I am a true friend and have almost finished the little app to
provide this for him.

Keep your eye on the space below!

Best wishes,

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/14/2003 6:19:36 PM
In article <4c5158a1f8UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>,
   John Williams (News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Luckily I am a true friend and have almost finished the little app to
> provide this for him.

> Keep your eye on the space below!

My prototype version is to be found at:

        http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jrwmail/software/download/prwnd.zip

should anyone want to use this nostalgic method of printing printer-ready
files.

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/14/2003 9:01:24 PM
In article <4c51530fa9UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>,
   John Williams (News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> It would seem quite easy to put together a little application to provide
> a window where files dropped there would be sent straight to the printer.

> I might have a go at that unless someone else particularly wants to.

Why do you need to do that, when dropping the file on the printer icon on
the icon bar will do the same job?

--
 __  __  __  __      __ ___   _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/  \|\ ||_   |   / Acorn StrongArm Risc_PC
|  ||  \\__/\__/| \||__  |  /...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines
___________________________/ dhwild@argonet.co.uk
0
dhwild (153)
11/14/2003 9:29:18 PM
In message <4c516a004bdhwild@argonet.co.uk>
          David H Wild <dhwild@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <4c51530fa9UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>,
>    John Williams (News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > It would seem quite easy to put together a little application to provide
> > a window where files dropped there would be sent straight to the printer.
>
> > I might have a go at that unless someone else particularly wants to.
>
> Why do you need to do that, when dropping the file on the printer icon on
> the icon bar will do the same job?

this will only work if the file is correctly typed.
Surley what you need is an app to check a certain (shared) directory,
and when a file appears there, it is filetyped, and sent to the printer.
Then Mrs whoever need only copy the file to the relavent computer, and
everything else will be taken care of.

Martin.

--
Typed by monkey #27662472869676 on typewriter #7552416572242
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.
   David H Wild <dhwild@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Why do you need to do that, when dropping the file on the printer icon on
> the icon bar will do the same job?

Only if it is appropriately filetyped. The OP wanted something simple for
his wife to use routinely.

Keep up at the back please!

John

--
 John Williams, Wirral,  Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
   change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention!
        Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
0
UCEbin (2771)
11/14/2003 11:58:58 PM
Variously has been written...

> > I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the
> > exact location of !Printers 1.67 please.

> No sorry, my fault, it was http://acorn.riscos.com, as Ian Lowry guessed
> in another message.

This here printers business is getting to be a mess.
Perhaps someone can illuminate.

I've just looked at the Info panel on the thing I have installed, is says:
1.90b4 (28 Mar 2000) what's that in the scheme of things?

Where does it come in the list of disparate numbers?

Cheers
Dave S

dfs (2099)
11/15/2003 7:31:39 AM
In message <4c5167723aUCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>
          "John Williams (News)" <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <4c5158a1f8UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>,
>    John Williams (News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Luckily I am a true friend and have almost finished the little app to
> > provide this for him.
>
> > Keep your eye on the space below!
>
> My prototype version is to be found at:
>
>         http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jrwmail/software/download/prwnd.zip
>
> should anyone want to use this nostalgic method of printing printer-ready
> files.

Alternatively, since I use Director, I've added the following line to my
Choices:Director.Menus.User.Default file:

| A Director Icon which mimics the Printer:$ filer window
directoricon file_FF4 -priority &0E000000 -dragto "*Copy |<Director$CurrentPath> printer:"

Untested but I can't see why it shouldn't work, plus there's no need for
the file to have the correct filetype.

--
J�r�me Mathevet
>Variously has been written...
>
>> > I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the
>> > exact location of !Printers 1.67 please.
>
>> No sorry, my fault, it was http://acorn.riscos.com, as Ian Lowry guessed
>> in another message.
>
>This here printers business is getting to be a mess.
>Perhaps someone can illuminate.
>
>I've just looked at the Info panel on the thing I have installed, is says:
>1.90b4 (28 Mar 2000) what's that in the scheme of things?
>
>Where does it come in the list of disparate numbers?
>
>Cheers
>Dave S

You want a fuctionally similar 1.91 dated 28/6/03
--
With very best wishes
=====================
          Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> Variously has been written...
>
> > > I cannot find !Printers 1.67 on this site, just 1.64. Can you give the
> > > exact location of !Printers 1.67 please.
>
> > No sorry, my fault, it was http://acorn.riscos.com, as Ian Lowry guessed
> > in another message.
>
> This here printers business is getting to be a mess.
> Perhaps someone can illuminate.
>
> I've just looked at the Info panel on the thing I have installed, is says:
> 1.90b4 (28 Mar 2000) what's that in the scheme of things?
>
> Where does it come in the list of disparate numbers?

1.90b4 is the version of Printers+ that was supplied with Select. 1.91
is technically the latest version of Printers+ (available from
http://roprinters.sourceforge.net/) but in practice it behaves the same
as 1.90b4. Printers+ has a few more features than standard Printers (on
the website).

1.64a is the latest version of Printers RISCOS Ltd released. 1.67 is
Castle's latest version of Printers (also known as pop-up printers).
Some more details of the features are in RISCOS Ltd's press release
(http://www.riscos.com/news/news_items/PR310503.htm).

David Marston
usenet@illudium.org.uk
0
usenet4924 (23)
11/15/2003 12:41:13 PM
In article <4c512c3eaeUCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>,
   John Williams (News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Can we have evidence from another 3.7 user, please? And later OS
> versions.

Typing filer_opendir printer:$ in a taskwindow here, on RO 3.70/3 gives
an error box saying (as shown by !Reporter):

 14:21:19.89 [TaskWindow\TaskWindow] filer_opendir printer:$
 14:21:19.93 ** WimpError ** from Filer
   Error  : &000000CC
   Message: Error when reading ��#:devices#buffer3:$.Parallel$ - File
  name '��#:devices#buffer3:$.Parallel$' not recognised

Jeremy1 (1807)
11/15/2003 2:22:27 PM
In article <e918b6514c.dswis@freeuk.com>,
   Dave Wisnia <dswis@freeuk.com> wrote:
> >Variously has been written...

> >> No sorry, my fault, it was http://acorn.riscos.com, as Ian Lowry
> >> guessed in another message.
> >
> >This here printers business is getting to be a mess. Perhaps someone
> >can illuminate.
> >
> >I've just looked at the Info panel on the thing I have installed, is
> >says: 1.90b4 (28 Mar 2000) what's that in the scheme of things?
> >
> >Where does it come in the list of disparate numbers?
> >
> >Cheers Dave S
> >
> You want a fuctionally similar 1.91 dated 28/6/03

Erm! do I?
Where might that hang out?

Cheers
Dave S

dfs (2099)

_________________   :-)

> Erm! do I?
> Where might that hang out?

Probably RISC OS, possibly Seelect.

When you get it, you will find that it fixes a bug, for larger than A4
printing with a few printers, that has been there since after 1.53
(which was OK).  The bug is still in the Iyonix version of printers.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim@powys.org
              For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org
   Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@powys.org> wrote:
> In message of 15 Nov, Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> > In article <e918b6514c.dswis@freeuk.com>,
> >    Dave Wisnia <dswis@freeuk.com> wrote:

> > > You want a fuctionally similar 1.91 dated 28/6/03
> _________________   :-)

> > Erm! do I?
> > Where might that hang out?

> Probably RISC OS, possibly Seelect.

> When you get it, you will find that it fixes a bug, for larger than A4
> printing with a few printers, that has been there since after 1.53
> (which was OK).  The bug is still in the Iyonix version of printers.

Been there and looked, couldn't seem to find it though, any additional
thoughts?

Cheers
Dave S

dfs (2099)
11/16/2003 7:15:11 AM
In message <4c522379d7dfs@ukgateway.net>
          Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> In article <20a6e6514c.tim@south-frm.demon.co.uk>,
>    Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@powys.org> wrote:
> > In message of 15 Nov, Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> > _________________   :-)
>

> > > Erm! do I?
> > > Where might that hang out?
>
> > Probably RISC OS, possibly Seelect.
>
> > When you get it, you will find that it fixes a bug, for larger than A4
> > printing with a few printers, that has been there since after 1.53
> > (which was OK).  The bug is still in the Iyonix version of printers.
>
> Been there and looked, couldn't seem to find it though, any additional
> thoughts?

Yes, it's at http://roprinters.sourceforge.net/. I'm sure I said that
yesterday.

David Marston
usenet@illudium.org.uk
0
usenet4924 (23)
11/16/2003 10:50:30 AM
In message <35aea2514c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>
          J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:

> | A Director Icon which mimics the Printer:$ filer window
> directoricon file_FF4 -priority &0E000000 -dragto "*Copy |<Director$CurrentPath> printer:"

I began experimenting, because I didn't think that would do what you want
for all possible values of Printer$Path, and came up with

   DirectorIcon file_FF4 -priority &4fffffff -dragto
     "Command:If ""|||<Printer$Path>""=""Null:"" OR ""|||<Printer$Path>""=""null:"" Then Error |||<Printer$Path>???
     Else If ""|||<Printer$Path>"" RIGHT 1 = ""."" Then Copy |||<Director$CurrentPath> printer:|||<Director$CurrentLeaf> ~C~V
     Else Copy |||<Director$CurrentPath> printer: ~C~V"

(that's all one one line, in an Obey file).

Originally I used a more meaningful (and more verbose) error message, but,
when the file is *Obey'ed, that provoked another problem: Director 0.36
seems (silently) to truncate the command to 256 bytes, even on systems
which support a longer command buffer.  When the file is *DirectorObey'ed
it reports

   Line too long. at line 12 in file Director:Menus.User.Default

even though it's the thirteenth line which is causing the problem.

You may prefer to use a command other than *Copy.  If your wife
inadvertently drags a file of several megabytes to that icon you'll
find that the system freezes until print has completed.   :-(

Chris
0
chrism (136)
11/18/2003 9:38:35 AM
In message <4C533846B8%chrism@spuddy.mew.co.uk>
          Chris Manning <chrism@spuddy.mew.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <35aea2514c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>
>           J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:
>
> > | A Director Icon which mimics the Printer:$ filer window
> > directoricon file_FF4 -priority &0E000000 -dragto "*Copy
> > |<Director$CurrentPath> printer:"
>
> I began experimenting, because I didn't think that would do what you
> want for all possible values of Printer$Path, and came up with
>
>    DirectorIcon file_FF4 -priority &4fffffff -dragto
>      "Command:If ""|||<Printer$Path>""=""Null:"" OR
> ""|||<Printer$Path>""=""null:"" Then Error |||<Printer$Path>???
>      Else If ""|||<Printer$Path>"" RIGHT 1 = ""."" Then Copy
>      Else Copy |||<Director$CurrentPath> printer: ~C~V"
>
> (that's all one one line, in an Obey file).

I don't see why you're using a triple pipe before system variables, but
then I'm probably thick. ~C~V added however.

> Originally I used a more meaningful (and more verbose) error message,
> but, when the file is *Obey'ed, that provoked another problem:
> Director 0.36 seems (silently) to truncate the command to 256 bytes,
> even on systems which support a longer command buffer.

You could define Macros to reduce the length of the command, surely ?

> When the file is *DirectorObey'ed it reports
>
>    Line too long. at line 12 in file Director:Menus.User.Default
>
> even though it's the thirteenth line which is causing the problem.

> You may prefer to use a command other than *Copy.  If your wife
> inadvertently drags a file of several megabytes to that icon you'll
> find that the system freezes until print has completed.   :-(

What else do you suggest ? The command attached to the -dragto switch
could run a TaskObey file to *copy in the background ? Or a dummy Wimp
application which polls between bytes sent to the printer ?

Anyway, I very much doubt she'll ever send such a large file to printer:
since she has to transfer them via a 1.44 MB floppy disk ;-)

--
J�r�me Mathevet
In message <34e431544c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>
          J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:

>>    DirectorIcon file_FF4 -priority &4fffffff -dragto
>>      "Command:If ""|||<Printer$Path>""=""Null:"" OR

[snip]

>> (that's all one one line, in an Obey file).

> I don't see why you're using a triple pipe before system variables,

I do.   :-)

> but then I'm probably thick.

I guess it's just a matter of personal preference: I'm not in the habit
of expanding variables earlier than is necessary, which is probably a
result of suffering interminable Buffer Overflows before the longer
command line came along.

[Director]Obey'ing

   DirectorIcon file_FF4 -priority &4fffffff -dragto "Command:If ""|||<Printer$Path>"" RIGHT 1 = ""."" Then Copy |||<Director$CurrentPath> printer:...

results in

   DirectorRun
   If "<Printer$Path>" RIGHT 1 = "." Then Copy <Director$CurrentPath> printer:...
   Copy <Director$CurrentPath> printer: ~C~V

when the file's dragged to the icon, whereas with

   DirectorIcon file_FF4 -priority &4fffffff -dragto "Command:If ""|<Printer$Path>"" RIGHT 1 = ""."" Then Copy |<Director$CurrentPath> printer:...

you get

   DirectorRun
   If "FastSpool:" RIGHT 1 = "." Then Copy RAM::RamDisc0.$.Test printer:...
   Copy RAM::RamDisc0.$.Test printer: ~C~V

in the case with which I experimented.  It makes no real difference here,
but it might do if Printer$Path or Director$CurrentPath either points to
an object deep in the directory tree, or expands to a string containing
"strange" characters.

>> Originally I used a more meaningful (and more verbose) error message,
>> but, when the file is *Obey'ed, that provoked another problem:
>> Director 0.36 seems (silently) to truncate the command to 256 bytes,
>> even on systems which support a longer command buffer.

> You could define Macros to reduce the length of the command, surely ?

I could, but *silently* truncating a command is surely unacceptable, so
I was hoping that the Director maintainer would bite.  Sadly he seems not
to be reading.

>> You may prefer to use a command other than *Copy.  If your wife
>> inadvertently drags a file of several megabytes to that icon you'll
>> find that the system freezes until print has completed.   :-(

> What else do you suggest ?

*cat, the GNU version?

> The command attached to the -dragto switch could run a TaskObey file
> to *copy in the background ?

But you can't *Copy in the background: the code runs in SVC mode, and
can't be made to multi-task.  At least, that's how I (mis?)understand
what happens.  It wasn't the lack of multi-tasking which worried me,
but the inability to cancel a print because Escape, Alt-Break too, can
be ineffective.

> Or a dummy Wimp application which polls between bytes sent to the
> printer ?

Almost anything in a task window, other than *Copy, or so I imagine,
but I'll leave the experimentation to you.   ;-)

> Anyway, I very much doubt she'll ever send such a large file to printer:
> since she has to transfer them via a 1.44 MB floppy disk ;-)

:-)

Chris
0
chrism (136)
11/23/2003 7:51:48 PM
On 23 Nov, in message <4C5603992F%chrism@spuddy.mew.co.uk>
  Chris Manning <chrism@spuddy.mew.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <34e431544c%speedsterh@straciatella.my.home>
>          J�r�me Mathevet <jerome.mathevet@DUMPTHISBITfree.fr> wrote:

[snip]

>>> Originally I used a more meaningful (and more verbose) error message,
>>> but, when the file is *Obey'ed, that provoked another problem:
>>> Director 0.36 seems (silently) to truncate the command to 256 bytes,
>>> even on systems which support a longer command buffer.
>
>> You could define Macros to reduce the length of the command, surely ?
>
>I could, but *silently* truncating a command is surely unacceptable, so
>I was hoping that the Director maintainer would bite.  Sadly he seems not
>to be reading.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Yours,

Phil L.
--
http://www.philipnet.com               http://director.sourceforge.net
 The From address is valid, but anything >8k is deleted by the server

0
nospam8024 (635)

[Java-Printer]My printers are not senn by java apps
This problem apparently has nothing todo with Java applications : I am on Linux and apparently now any Java apps run do not see my printer list as handled by CUPS. Before it worked ; I think it has to do with the JDK installed ? Any ideas will be wellcome. Thanks. ...

Printer Ink
Printer Ink - Pictures and Diagrams of Printer Ink, Printer Ink Cartridge, and Printer Ink Refill - Hi, I am working on a new Website, www.Printer-Ink.biz, for information on Printer Ink, Printer Ink Cartridge, and Printer Ink Refill. I already have some information about Printer Ink on the website - www.Printer-Ink.biz; what I am looking for is pictures and diagrams of how printer ink, printer ink cartridge and printer ink refill work for the www.Printer-ink.biz website. Specifically, I am looking for good pictures of printer ink, printer ink cartridge, or printer refill in action, maybe in a ink jet printer or laser printer - however, diagrams of how printer ink, printer ink cartridge, or printer ink refill work in a laser printer, ink jet printer, or even dot matrix printer might be interesting as well. Please only send your own images - with your pictures, please include permission to post them on www.Printer-Ink.biz . Images to pics@Printer-Ink.biz . Thank you, info@Printer-Ink.biz Subject : Printer Ink - Pictures and Diagrams of Printer Ink, Printer Ink Cartridge, and Printer Ink Refill for www.Printer-Ink.biz flrealbot@yahoo.com wrote: > Printer Ink - Pictures and Diagrams of Printer Ink, Printer Ink > Cartridge, and Printer Ink Refill > - > > Hi, > > > I am working on a new Website, www.Printer-Ink.biz, for information on > Printer Ink, Printer Ink Cartridge, and Printer Ink ...

Printer app stays open
Gang, I've noticed lately that the printer app stays open after printing out a document. I don't remember it ever doing this before. I recently got a new computer and in so doing made the jump from Tiger to Leopard--is this just a change in the OS? If so, it's kind of annoying. Or could it be a side effect of using the Firewire Target mode to transfer all of my settings and stuff over from the old computer? My old computer never did this, but you never know how prefs from one version of the OS might work when applied to a new version. Is there a way to set this so it will clo...

Printer addendum for HP printer

Phaser printers and LED printers
I have need to purchase, for a small office environment, a printer for color brochures. It needs to handle speeds in the 10-20 pages per minute range and mainly for letter size paper. Target price is $1000-1200. I prefer something other than inkjet printers for this application, and recent color laser printer output I've seen is quite good. There seem to be several models from the major manufacturers available for under a grand, but they seem to cluster around 4 pages per minute in color, which is too slow. We will be printing runs of a few hundred pages at a time, probably 2-3 times a month. The Xerox Phaser 8200 looks good; it is not a laser printer, but it's output is very nice, and consumables seem to have reasonable cost. The Oki 5300 also seems to fill the bill, but I believe that it's an LED printer, and I've been warned that LED printers can have registration problems. Would any kind soul care to share their views on this topic??? TIA, Dwight Huffman In article <3FA089D2.5FFC9088@gte.net>, Dwight Huffman <d.huffman@gte.net> writes > >The Xerox Phaser 8200 looks good; it is not a laser printer, but it's >output is very nice, and consumables seem to have reasonable cost. > I bought one of these nearly a month ago now, good output and pretty simple for adding ink etc. I've seen reports that you need to leave it on to avoid ink being used in cleaning cycles when powering on and off, ...

Printer drivers for new printers
I have just bought a couple of printers and I am trying to find drivers for them without any success. The printers I have are a Canon S330 and a Canon i950. Both are connected on a windows printer/home control server. For the S330 I have used the S300 printer driver (qimp-print), the print quality is horrible but at least it prints the correct size, as for the i950, I used the BJC-8200 printer driver and it prints at 1/4 of the size it is supposed to. Canon only supports windows and Mac os, at least that is their official response. Is there anywhere I can find printer driv...

printer supplies or new printer
I am running a RiscPC700 (NO strongarm), withComputer Concepts turboprinter feeding a Canon BJC210. I only use it for !HolyBible and !Sibelius6 I need either ink cartidges for the printer, or a new printer that turbo will recognise. Any suggestion? (PS - sorry I use a Windows for internet and everything else.) "Letmesnapu2" <alan.r.archer@btinternet.com> wrote: > I am running a RiscPC700 (NO strongarm), withComputer Concepts turboprinter > feeding a Canon BJC210. > > I only use it for !HolyBible and !Sibelius6 > > I need either ink cartidges for ...

printer
Hello, Im looking for a way to print direct out of my win32-application (without any common-dialog). I must use Win-sdk. If its possible would you send me an example source code. Thank you very much Maxwell Read This. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;124649 Ali R. "Maxwell" <matthias.eiser@planet-interkom.de> wrote in message news:bn3sjb$qgd6u$1@ID-207861.news.uni-berlin.de... > Hello, > > Im looking for a way to print direct out of my win32-application (without > any common-dialog). I must use Win-sdk. If its po...

Printer
We are running an AS400 with S36 as a host and have connected a Bryce address printer through a Praim protocol converter. We have no problem printing from the S36 side but when we try to use it on the AS400 we have a problem. When we try to start the printer we get the following error message " Writer cannot use device PRT03 because the device is not powered on or varied on or is in use by another job". We have tried everything mentioned in this error message with no success. We are using serveral other printers on both operating systems without a problem. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Tim Hi Tim Well it's a while ago but.....your printer must be stopped at the as/400 site when you want to use it as a S/36 (M36) printer. I presume it's a twinax printer that's mappep in the M36 CFG. Marcel "Tim" <tlsmith@tznet.com> schreef in bericht news:CYGcnbt8svgRiveiU-KYjQ@tznet.com... > We are running an AS400 with S36 as a host and have connected a Bryce > address printer through a Praim protocol converter. We have no problem > printing from the S36 side but when we try to use it on the AS400 we have a > problem. When we try to start the printer we get the following error message > " Writer cannot use device PRT03 because the device is not powered on or > varied on or is in use by another job". We have tried everything mentioned > in this error message with no success. We are usin...

Printer
I'm heartily sick of the running costs of my Cannon i865 - every time I want to use it, and that's not much, it needs new cartridges. Which cost a fortune. I could get Michelangelo to draw things for me for less. So am I right in saying a laser will be much cheaper for occasional use - no head cleaning to waste ink? If so, which one? Mono is fine. Using an RPC with 4.39. And a Unipod for USB - if needed. And would I be better using a driver prog that shares it with my PC? Details would be nice. -- *Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word? Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article <4fee2484cddave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: > I'm heartily sick of the running costs of my Cannon i865 - every time I > want to use it, and that's not much, it needs new cartridges. Which cost > a fortune. I could get Michelangelo to draw things for me for less. > So am I right in saying a laser will be much cheaper for occasional use > - no head cleaning to waste ink? > If so, which one? Mono is fine. Using an RPC with 4.39. And a Unipod for > USB - if needed. And would I be better using a driver prog that shares > it with my PC? Details would be nice. I have used Canon printers for a long time and found them quite economical, though I never had an i865. The print head looks much like the one of my IP ...

printer
Printer light is on but not responding. Can't print anything. ----- Posted via NewsOne.Net: Free (anonymous) Usenet News via the Web ----- http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email abuse@newsone.net ...

Printer
Good day, I have installed Mandrake 9.1, dual booting with Windows 2000. Linux installed on hdb. System: 512K 1.2 Mhz AMD processor CD Drive Two HD. Motherboard : K7S5A Here's what's going on. Linux does not see the printer. I don't know if the parallel is undetected therefore linux would not see the printer. Windows has no problem finding the printer. Any ideas about fixing this problem? Thanks, Ross Ross Himes wrote: First of all : 1).- Which kind of printer are you using ? May it be a winprinter ? 2).- Are all the modules inserted ? Or may be the code is statical compiled in the kernel. Typically modules : partport.o partport_pc.o ... 3).- Check the hardware howto and the printing howto. 4).- What do you mean with 'Linux does not see the printer' ? How do you check that ? Greets, Gus > Good day, > > I have installed Mandrake 9.1, dual booting with Windows 2000. Linux > installed on hdb. > > System: 512K > 1.2 Mhz AMD processor > CD Drive > Two HD. > Motherboard : K7S5A > > Here's what's going on. Linux does not see the printer. I don't know if > the parallel is undetected therefore linux would not see the printer. > > Windows has no problem finding the printer. > > Any ideas about fixing this problem? > > Thanks, > > Ross Gustavo Perez wrote: &g...

printer
Hello, I have te possibility to buy a DMP2000 printer. It is new, never been used, how much to pay for this? THX,Fabien "Fabien Nicaud" <fabien.nicaud@wanadoo.fr> a �crit dans le message de news: bq8908$3vk$1@news-reader5.wanadoo.fr... > Hello, > > I have te possibility to buy a DMP2000 printer. It is new, never been used, > how much to pay for this? > > THX,Fabien > > Always a harsh question... It can go from none to a dozen of euros... I guess the right price is the price you're willing to pay for it ! ;-) Charles ...

printer
I'm a looking for a good quality inkjet printer for good quality digital photography printing . I would bre grateful for any recommended models thanks t ...

Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer($server)
Has anyone ever managed to get Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer($server) to enumerate printers on a server? I've tried $server with a plain server name e.g. "MYBOX" and "\\\\MYBOX" nither give any response. (Note I'm using an accound with Administrator priv at MYBOX). Looking at MSDN it implies that the parameter to EnumPrinters() should be "Print Provider!!\\Machine" so I tried "win32spl.dll!!\\\\MYBOX" and "win32spl!!\\\\MYBOX" and "LanMan Print Services!!\\\\MYBOX" Still Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer() stubbonly returns nothing. "Brian McCauley" <nobull@mail.com> wrote in message news:d9e9bm$bbs$1@redhat2.bham.ac.uk... > Has anyone ever managed to get Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer($server) to > enumerate printers on a server? > > I've tried $server with a plain server name e.g. "MYBOX" and "\\\\MYBOX" > nither give any response. (Note I'm using an accound with Administrator > priv at MYBOX). > > Looking at MSDN it implies that the parameter to EnumPrinters() should > be "Print Provider!!\\Machine" so I tried > > "win32spl.dll!!\\\\MYBOX" > > and > > "win32spl!!\\\\MYBOX" > > and > > "LanMan Print Services!!\\\\MYBOX" > > Still Win32::Printer::Enum::Printer() stubbonly returns nothing. > Can't help a lot, if at all...

Printer versus Indesign printer settings
In Indesign, how can I make sure I haven't activated both my application and my Epson 2200 inkjet printer's printing settings in the File > Print window? I read that having both active can screw up the colors of printed images and give them a red cast, and my images _are_ printing too red. Robert ...

Printer interface
My application prints to an image printer that prints 4x6 prints. The printer driver is installed and working correctly. The windows print queue detects out of paper errors etc. How can I do that from my application? Any help would be fantastic. Thanks! FindFirstPrinterChangeNotification, FindNextPrinterChangeNotification et al. Christian <njmedic2669@gmail.com> wrote in message news:01574200-261e-41d3-9a60-0d3592b14e52@y9g2000yqg.googlegroups.com... > My application prints to an image printer that prints 4x6 prints. > The > printer driver is install...

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?
I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected directly to my desktop and print from my laptop. Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seems that the printer server didn't pass data back to my laptop? Thanks for any suggestions! -mike- <johndoe_rider@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1119894720.500131.110780@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB > Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the > printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer > status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). I believe this is a common problem with printer servers. Before you buy you have to check two things: a) That it supports your printer. b) How well it supports your printer. The lack of support for the "back channel" is quite common. "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message news:xlXve.131568$Qy4.7039020@phobos.telenet-...

printer specific properties through printer object
Dear All, I am working on a dotmatrix printer through a VB application. I am trying to print a ledger report which may be more than one pages on a 12" long & 10" wide fanfold paper. The problem is that when I issue a ..newpage command the printer head instead of moving to the next page moves some calculated inches and starts printing the next page. The pageheader hence gets printed over the area where the paper makes a fold and the new page starts. also the calculated inches that the printer head moves noticeably makes an equal increment after each page i.e. if the pageheader of the 2nd page gets printed on the first page then the 3rd page's header plus a few of the foolowing lines get printed in the 2nd page's end and so on... I think that if a forced form feed is supplied after every ..newpage then the problem can be resolved ,BUT how do I do that forced form feed. Also how I access the specific printer properties for the printer that is attached. Any guesses/advises/tips to solving the problem would be deeply appreciated. We are looking at using winapi in future, BUT WE CANT SWITCH IMMEDIATELY AS TOO MUCH CODE HAS ALREADY BEEN WRITTEN. thanks, Bye. Yash Poddar On 11 Sep 2004 02:06:45 -0700, yashpoddar@yahoo.com (Yash Poddar) you typed some letters in random order: >Dear All, >I am working on a dotmatrix printer through a VB application. I am >trying to print a ledger report which may be more than one pages on a >12" long &...

SET PRINTER TO \\Server\Printer error
SET PRINTER TO \\Server\Printer gives the following error : Error TERM/2014 Create error: \\oemcomputer\hp-lj1300.prn (DOS Error : Network name not found) Printer is installed and connected. It's working. Please help On Sep 9, 9:03=A0am, "M Mordkovych" <mmordk1_no_spam_...@verizon.net> wrote: > SET PRINTER TO \\Server\Printer gives the following error : > > Error TERM/2014 Create error: \\oemcomputer\hp-lj1300.prn (DOS Error : > Network name not found) > > Printer is installed and connected. It's working. > > Please help I've had several instances of this problem. The most common is a misspelling of the printer sharename in the NET USE command. This DOS Error is telling you that the Network name is not found. I would do a NET VIEW to list the shared devices that are seen from the workstation, then a NET VIEW with the host name to see the correct sharenames for that host. For instance, if the host is \\COMPUTER, the NET VIEW \\COMPUTER would show the printer shares under that host. If workstation has a correct NET USE LPTx \\computer\printer and you are still getting the problem, I've seen this situation in a Windows Vista environment where the Vista workstation is attempting to share the printer that the xharbour application is trying to access. Apparently, it is not possible to DOS print to a sharename hosted by that same workstation. I have worked around this by sharing the printer from the server, rathe...

I have a Canon PIXMA ip4000 printer attached via USB to my PC. My Mac can see it and add it but it cannot load the right driver. I installed the printer on the Mac as well then re connected it to the PC hoping that after the Mac would be able to locate or display the proper Canon driver. Any idea how to get the correct driver assigned to this shared printer? Thanks, Om Mac- G4/450 w 512MB RAM 10.3.8, Canon driver 2.6.0 PC- Win2K Pro- printer shared Both machines network flawlessly together ...

Only allow a printer server on network printer
How can I set up a network printer to only use a printer server from WinNT or Win2000 servers if the printer is network enabled (say an HP printer with a JetDirect card and its own IP)? Is it configurable through the JetAdmin utility? Do I have to setup a filtering firewall perhaps to the printer? TIA Patrick ...

Web resources about - !Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ? - comp.sys.acorn.apps