!Printers won't load at all

[Posted and mailed]

Not sure if this is an Apps problem or network problem so posting to
both -  hope this is ok.

I want to print an OvationPro document on my RiscPC to my HP color
laserjet2550L which is connected by USB to my PC, the two networked
together with a cross-over cable. I recently purchased UniPrint2, set
it up and it all worked perfectly.

Tonight, trying the above print job:
  1. Selected the UniPrint driver on Printers' iconbar
  2. Checked UniPrint on the PC was running
  3. Checked the 2550L was on and had paper
  4. Clicked on Print from within OPro.

This resulted in:
  a) A message from OPro: Filename not recognised (may be caused by
trying to use background printing) print cancelled."
  b) I clicked OK and then UniPrint reported that the RISCOS print job
had been completed, and that printing should start shortly.
  c) The HP5L connected via parallel to the RiscPC then woke up,
flashed its 'busy' LED a few times then did nothing more but had its
bottom two green LEDs permanently on. Also the 2550L at the PC end
started its normal printing actions, but with an orange LED 'running'
over the sequence instead of the usual green LED. It eventually
stopped and returned to normal 'ready' mode but without ever
attempting to pull any paper through.

   I checked - no, I had not accidently switched over to background
printing. The OP file was one I created last night, saved and just
loaded tonight. A test print using Word on the PC resulted in the
2550L printing correctly.

So next I tried quitting !Printers and reloading it. This got me:
"Warning from Printer Manager - Internal error: unmatched PrData
pointer". Repeated clicking ok got rid of the message and !Printers
loaded to the iconbar. Attempting to print the OP document failed as
per the first time.

Being non-technical I tried the old 'switch the RiscPC off, wait a few
moments then power-on' routine. The boot sequence was halted at the
blank grey screen stage with the same PrData complaint. Clicked ok
four times before it went away, to be replaced with an error box
bearing the RO4 Cube logo saying 'Module not found'. Clicked Cancel on
this and I got my desktop but with no !Printers loaded. Tried loading
!Printers directly, but same PrData and Module errors.

So now I can't have !Printers loaded at all - which means that I can't
print to my 5L or the 2550L across my network.

Help!

--
Alex.
0

In message <5f548df24d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
          Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

> [Posted and mailed]

> Help!

It is worthwhile removing Uniprint 2 from the task bar and then
restarting it on Windows. This occasionally has helped when we have
had similar problems.
--
Dave Wisnia, Leeds

0
dswis (522)
2/1/2006 10:23:46 PM
In message <5f548df24d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
          Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

> [...printing problem...]

It sounds as though a file in your printer setup may have got
corrupted. It might be worth re-installing the UniPrint printer
definition file.

Alan

--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents
0
          David <dswis@freeuk.com> wrote:

> In message <5f548df24d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
>           Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> [Posted and mailed]
>
>> Help!
>>

> It is worthwhile removing Uniprint 2 from the task bar and then
> restarting it on Windows. This occasionally has helped when we have
> had similar problems.

I doubt if that would help in this case. It sounds as though Alex's
problem is purely at the RISC OS end.

Alan

--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents
0
spamhater1 (1060)
2/2/2006 9:16:59 AM
In message <5f548df24d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
          Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

> [Posted and mailed]
>

> Not sure if this is an Apps problem or network problem so posting to
> both -  hope this is ok.
>
> I want to print an OvationPro document on my RiscPC to my HP color
> laserjet2550L which is connected by USB to my PC, the two networked
> together with a cross-over cable. I recently purchased UniPrint2, set
> it up and it all worked perfectly.
>
> Tonight, trying the above print job:
>   1. Selected the UniPrint driver on Printers' iconbar
>   2. Checked UniPrint on the PC was running
>   3. Checked the 2550L was on and had paper
>   4. Clicked on Print from within OPro.
>
> This resulted in:
>   a) A message from OPro: Filename not recognised (may be caused by
> trying to use background printing) print cancelled."

I sometimes get this message.

I have PoScript2 printer driver on the printer control list.

I find that if I select PoScript2 and print the document, and then go
back to UniPrint, and print the document again it will do so. From
then on I can print OK.

I have no idea why this should happen, but it seems to work!

--
Geoffrey Booth
0
wrote:

> In message <5f548df24d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
>           Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> [...printing problem...]
>
> It sounds as though a file in your printer setup may have got
> corrupted. It might be worth re-installing the UniPrint printer
> definition file.
>
> Alan
Thanks for repyling Alan. Unfortunately I can't re-install the
UniPrint driver definition file because I can't get !Printers to
load/run at all. I've just got home from work and put my RiscPC on. I
got the same interruption of the boot sequence at the blank grey
screen stage with the error "Couldn't fix pointer" whatever that
means, and clicking ok gets the RO4Cube error box saying module not
found - this obviously because I've got !Printers in my boot sequence.

Once I'd finally got to the desktop, minus !Printers on the iconbar, I
tried double-clicking directly on !Printers instead, but this just got
exactly the same error messages, so I can't load !Printers at all.

In desperation, knowing there was no chance as !Printers wasn't
running, but..., I tried double-clicking directly on the UniPrint PDF
anyway, but this just repeated the same errors a third time.

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment of David Wisnia's
suggestion, for the reason you give, so I haven't tried it yet, but I
am prepared to do it at some point if necessary.

--
Alex.
0
In message <dd1892f24d.dswis@freeuk.net>
          David <dswis@freeuk.com> wrote:

> In message <5f548df24d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
>           Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> [Posted and mailed]
>
>> Help!
>>

> It is worthwhile removing Uniprint 2 from the task bar and then
> restarting it on Windows. This occasionally has helped when we have
> had similar problems.
 Thanks very much for replying David, most kind.

 I guess that you'll have seen Alan's comment regarding this being a
RISC OS-end problem. I think he's probably correct, but I'll keep your
suggestion in mind and am happy to give it a whirl if necessary.

--
Alex.
0
Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <02d3cdf24d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
>           Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
> wrote:

> > In message <5f548df24d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> Alex
> >           Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> [...printing problem...]
> >
> > It sounds as though a file in your printer setup may have got
> > corrupted. It might be worth re-installing the UniPrint printer
> > definition file.

> Thanks for repyling Alan. Unfortunately I can't re-install the
> UniPrint driver definition file because I can't get !Printers to
> load/run at all.

I'd delete the !Boot.Choices.Printers directory (or equivalent) and setup
all your printers from scratch. Once working, take a backup so if it
becomes corrupted again you can copy the choices back.

Ian

--
Ian Hamilton (RISC PC RO4)  http://www.hamiltoni.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
             (Iyonix  RO5)  Programs compatible with RISC OS 3/4/5

0
Ian.Hamilton (687)
2/2/2006 4:15:10 PM
In message <1fe6f1f24d.gwbooth@gwbooth.gwbooth.free-online.co.uk>
          gwbooth <gwbooth@gwbooth.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <5f548df24d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
>           Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

[snip my own text]

> I sometimes get this message.
>
> I have PoScript2 printer driver on the printer control list.
>
> I find that if I select PoScript2 and print the document, and then go
> back to UniPrint, and print the document again it will do so. From
> then on I can print OK.
>
> I have no idea why this should happen, but it seems to work!

Well I certainly have two PoScript2 PDF's installed.

One is driving the HP color laserjet2550L via parallel direct from the
RiscPC. Although initially, (months ago), I had it going, it soon
stopped working and I never bothered sorting it out because I could
just send Wordfiles over my network and print directly via the PC's
USB connection. So a few days ago I 'tidied' the iconbar by changing
that PDF to inactive.

I've also got a second PoScript2 PDF installed and this one is set to
active but prints to file as it is the one I use as an intermediate
step to producing Adobe-type PDFs, (as opposed to Printer PDFs), but
using RiScript5 to do it.

So it sound as though it is possibly my action in rendering one of the
PoScript2 Printer Definition Files inactive, (only inactive, I didn't
remove it), that has at least contributed to my problem. But I can't
test this by putting it back to active as I can't get !Printers to
load at all now, no matter what I do.

--
Alex.
0
          Ian Hamilton <Ian.Hamilton@AAUG.net> wrote:

> In article <7468f3f24d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>, Alex
> Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <02d3cdf24d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
>>           Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>> > It sounds as though a file in your printer setup may have got
>> > corrupted. It might be worth re-installing the UniPrint printer
>> > definition file.
>

>> Thanks for repyling Alan. Unfortunately I can't re-install the
>> UniPrint driver definition file because I can't get !Printers to
>> load/run at all.
>
> I'd delete the !Boot.Choices.Printers directory (or equivalent) and setup
> all your printers from scratch. Once working, take a backup so if it
> becomes corrupted again you can copy the choices back.
>
> Ian
 Ah, thanks Ian, I didn't think of doing that. In fact, I did a full
backup of my entire harddisc to an external drive about five weeks
ago, so Choices.Printers in its previous working state will be on
that, the only difference being that it was done before I purchased
UniPrint, (oh, and with both my PoScript PDFs active, - see my reply
to Geoffrey Booth), so I can soon install the UniPrint PDF again.

I go away and try it shortly, thanks again.

--
Alex.
0
          Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <02d3cdf24d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
>           Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> In message <5f548df24d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
>>           Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> [...printing problem...]
>>
>> It sounds as though a file in your printer setup may have got
>> corrupted. It might be worth re-installing the UniPrint printer
>> definition file.
>>
>> Alan
> Thanks for repyling Alan. Unfortunately I can't re-install the
> UniPrint driver definition file because I can't get !Printers to
> load/run at all.

What I actually meant was to re-copy the original UniPrint definition
file over the one you have installed in Printers, as it may be this
file which is corrupted. If so, then once you have done this you may
find that Printers will run.

Alan

--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents
0
spamhater1 (1060)
2/2/2006 5:53:30 PM
In message <4df2f41b0dIan.Hamilton@AAUG.Net>
          Ian Hamilton <Ian.Hamilton@AAUG.net> wrote:

> In article <7468f3f24d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>, Alex
> Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <02d3cdf24d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
>>           Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>> > It sounds as though a file in your printer setup may have got
>> > corrupted. It might be worth re-installing the UniPrint printer
>> > definition file.
>

>> Thanks for repyling Alan. Unfortunately I can't re-install the
>> UniPrint driver definition file because I can't get !Printers to
>> load/run at all.
>
> I'd delete the !Boot.Choices.Printers directory (or equivalent) and setup
> all your printers from scratch. Once working, take a backup so if it
> becomes corrupted again you can copy the choices back.
>
> Ian

 I'm still having the same problems, so just now I've followed your
suggestion, Ian, thank you. Sadly, no improvement. Attempts to print
to my HP2550L at the PC end via the network, and UniPrint on both
machines, (yes UP is loaded/running on the PC and yes UP is the
currently selected driver on the Acorn), from OvPro result in my HP
LJ5L connected to the Acorn responding but then getting stuck while
the 2550L does nothing.

I copied Choices.Printers elsewhere, then deleted the entire contents
of this Printers directory. I then double-clicked on !Printers in
HardDisc4.$.Printing and it loaded instantly but with no PDFs of
course. I then dragged LasJet5, PostSript2 and UniPrint PDFs into the
Printer Control window, no problem with any, and Saved Choices on
!Printers iconbar icon. I then compared the contents of the *moved*
Choices.Printers directory with the on actually in !Boot.Choices that
I had just emptied.

The new one contained three directories dp. lj and ps plus a Settings
file. The *moved* old one contained the same plus  two further
directories pdf and PDumpers plus a PaperRW file and a Settings0 file.

Help!

--
Alex.
0
          Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

>  I'm still having the same problems, so just now I've followed your
> suggestion, Ian, thank you. Sadly, no improvement. Attempts to print
> to my HP2550L at the PC end via the network, and UniPrint on both
> machines, (yes UP is loaded/running on the PC and yes UP is the
> currently selected driver on the Acorn), from OvPro result in my HP
> LJ5L connected to the Acorn responding but then getting stuck while
> the 2550L does nothing.

So, what are the settings in the Connection window of your UP printer
definition? Load !Printers, hold down Shift and click Adjust on the UP
printer icon on the icon bar to see it.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner         MW Software      http://www.mw-software.com/
   ArtWorks 2 -- Designing stunning graphics has never been easier
spamtrap@mw-software.com      [replace "spamtrap" by "info" to reply]
0
spamtrap3075 (2307)
2/3/2006 5:29:29 PM
In message <47d37ef34d.martin@bach.planiverse.com>
          Martin Wuerthner <spamtrap@mw-software.com> wrote:

> In message <247c6cf34d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
>           Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>  I'm still having the same problems, so just now I've followed your
>> suggestion, Ian, thank you. Sadly, no improvement. Attempts to print
>> to my HP2550L at the PC end via the network, and UniPrint on both
>> machines, (yes UP is loaded/running on the PC and yes UP is the
>> currently selected driver on the Acorn), from OvPro result in my HP
>> LJ5L connected to the Acorn responding but then getting stuck while
>> the 2550L does nothing.
>
> So, what are the settings in the Connection window of your UP printer
> definition? Load !Printers, hold down Shift and click Adjust on the UP
> printer icon on the icon bar to see it.
>
> Martin

 My UP PDF settings are, (I'm looking at it now as I type):

  Print in background - not ticked (Detect errors grey-ed out but not
ticked anyway)
  Parallel - not selected
  Serial - not selected
  File - not selected
Net, NFS, Direct drive and Append to file all grey-ed out but none
selected anyway.

 One of my problems was that OvPro kept suggesting that I was
     attempting to print in the background - I knew I
     wasn't...until I was informed that as well as background
     printing being a !Printers Connection option it was also an
     option on OvPro's iconbar Choices! I have now saved OP's
     Choices with background printing deselected, as well as
     ensuring that the UP PDF does not have background ticked.

The next bit was to make sure the UP PDF was not set to parallel. Here
we go again! I *knew* it wasn't ... but it was! I now know how this
happened, but I won't bore you with details.

So, with OPro *not* printing to background, !Printers also *not*
printing to background, UP *not* set to parallel, UP *definitely* the
selected driver on the iconbar, UP *definitely* running on the PC, the
printer definitely on and with paper:

I clicked print in the OP business card document. It started the
process, then yet again repeated the background printing suggestion,
and still is not resulting in any response from the HP2550L on the
PC's USB port.

Just before this saga began I did get one lot of printing from this
same OP file printed successfully by UP - it was the next day, on
trying to print further copies that the difficulties arose.

Also this OP file prints ok over parallel from RPC to my HP LJ5L via a
LasJet5 PDF, so the file doesn't seem to be corrupt.

Now what's its problem?

Today I've tried printing from EasiWriterPro v.8.50 and this gave:
 an error message whose titlebar identified it as "Message from
EasiWriter" but its text said: "Message from Printer Driver: Filename
not recognised (may be caused by trying to use background
printing)(Print cancelled)". Clicking on Continue then got UP's
message box saying: The RISC OS print job has finished. Your document
should be printed shortly." but nothing whatever happened. No response
of any sort from the HP2550L printer. EW's print dialogue box also
contains a print in background option - and it is *definitely* not
ticked.

It would seem that this is a UP-related problem, not EW or OvPro.

--
Alex.
0
          Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <47d37ef34d.martin@bach.planiverse.com>
>           Martin Wuerthner <spamtrap@mw-software.com> wrote:
>
>> In message <247c6cf34d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
>>           Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>  I'm still having the same problems, so just now I've followed your
>>> suggestion, Ian, thank you. Sadly, no improvement. Attempts to print
>>> to my HP2550L at the PC end via the network, and UniPrint on both
>>> machines, (yes UP is loaded/running on the PC and yes UP is the
>>> currently selected driver on the Acorn), from OvPro result in my HP
>>> LJ5L connected to the Acorn responding but then getting stuck while
>>> the 2550L does nothing.
>>
>> So, what are the settings in the Connection window of your UP printer
>> definition? Load !Printers, hold down Shift and click Adjust on the UP
>> printer icon on the icon bar to see it.
>>
>> Martin
>
>  My UP PDF settings are, (I'm looking at it now as I type):
>
>   Print in background - not ticked (Detect errors grey-ed out but not
> ticked anyway)
>   Parallel - not selected
>   Serial - not selected
>   File - not selected

If you actually meant to write this, it's probably the cause of your
problem. File printing must be selected, and the file name should be
"uniprintfs:<destination>" or "uniserverfs:<destination>". If this is
not selected this would explain perfectly well why UniPrint says the
filename is not recognised, because it won't have been given a
filename by Printers.

Alan

--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents
0
spamhater1 (1060)
2/4/2006 5:21:51 PM
In message <b9f601f44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
wrote:

> In message <cbf6f7f34d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
>           Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <47d37ef34d.martin@bach.planiverse.com>
>>           Martin Wuerthner <spamtrap@mw-software.com> wrote:

>>> So, what are the settings in the Connection window of your UP printer
>>> definition? Load !Printers, hold down Shift and click Adjust on the UP
>>> printer icon on the icon bar to see it.
>>>
>>> Martin
>>
>>  My UP PDF settings are, (I'm looking at it now as I type):
>>
>>   Print in background - not ticked (Detect errors grey-ed out but not
>> ticked anyway)
>>   Parallel - not selected
>>   Serial - not selected
>>   File - not selected
>
> If you actually meant to write this, it's probably the cause of your
> problem. File printing must be selected, and the file name should be
> "uniprintfs:<destination>" or "uniserverfs:<destination>". If this is
> not selected this would explain perfectly well why UniPrint says the
> filename is not recognised, because it won't have been given a
> filename by Printers.
>
> Alan

Ah-ha! Yes, I certainly *did* mean to write that. I was most careful
to accurately record what I was looking at after having previously
made a fool of myself by making definite assertions which were just
plain wrong! So, yes, File is *not* selected, (I'm looking at it again
now), and the writeable box next to it, (grey-ed out), says "null:"

So, where you say <destination> above, can I select anywhere on my
hard-disc I like for that, or does it have to be a specific location,
please?

In my defence this time, I'm looking at the 8-page paper instruction
booklet that came with the UP floppy, called "Universal" Network
Printer Driver and nowhere at all does it mention or illustrate the
Printers Connection window or settings. Also the words 'uniprintfs'
and 'uniserverfs' do not appear anywhere in its text, so there it's
not surprising that I haven't done this.

I've also just checked the electronic manual files that came with UP.
The "UP/HTM" file's contents are identical to the paper one's. The
"FILEEUR/HTM", "UPGRADE/HTM" and "UPVA/HTM" are not relevant, and the
"PROBLEMS/TXT" file does not have any mention of my problem nor of
uniserverfs or uniprintfs.

Slightly off-topic now, but related, UP's launch-URL feature works
perfectly, but having discovered that the launch-file feature duly
launches MSWord and MSExcel on my PC but both only with empty windows,
no display of any file, not even a new/blank one, let alone the one I
launched on the Acorn side, Andrew at RComp told me that this is still
a bug to be corrected.

Well that's quite ok of course. I'm only too appreciative of all RISC
OS developers who continue to produce/support, and I have purchased
loads of Andrew's products so that shows my appreciation of him in
particular. However, one problem is that whilst UP has a facility to
switch the URL-launch on and off at will, there is no such
corresponding facility for the file-launch and having activated it, I
cannot stop it. Worse still, last time I double-clicked on a Wordfile,
intending EasiWriter to grab it, UP got there first, but then stiffed
my machine in the attempt.

To be fair this may have been just an unfortunate occurrence on my
machine only, due to an unknown combination of events. I do not claim
to have replicated this event. Since then I have dragged Wordfiles
onto EW's iconbar icon instead of clicking on them, to make sure that
EW gets it.

--
Alex.
0
          Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <b9f601f44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
>           Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> In message <cbf6f7f34d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
>>           Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>  My UP PDF settings are, (I'm looking at it now as I type):
>>>
>>>   Print in background - not ticked (Detect errors grey-ed out but not
>>> ticked anyway)
>>>   Parallel - not selected
>>>   Serial - not selected
>>>   File - not selected
>>
>> If you actually meant to write this, it's probably the cause of your
>> problem. File printing must be selected, and the file name should be
>> "uniprintfs:<destination>" or "uniserverfs:<destination>". If this is
>> not selected this would explain perfectly well why UniPrint says the
>> filename is not recognised, because it won't have been given a
>> filename by Printers.
>>
> Ah-ha! Yes, I certainly *did* mean to write that. I was most careful
> to accurately record what I was looking at after having previously
> made a fool of myself by making definite assertions which were just
> plain wrong! So, yes, File is *not* selected, (I'm looking at it again
> now), and the writeable box next to it, (grey-ed out), says "null:"

If you think about it, the options in the Connections window are radio
buttons, which indicates that one of them should be ticked. If none is
ticked, then the printer driver is being told to send its output
nowhere.

> So, where you say <destination> above, can I select anywhere on my
> hard-disc I like for that, or does it have to be a specific location,
> please?

The destination is either the PC that you're printing to, or it can be
"sprite" or "virtualacorn" (the latter only if you have the VA version
of UniPrint). So you might put "uniprintfs:10.0.0.2" or
"uniprintfs:winbox" if that's the name of your PC. UniPrintFS provides
a virtual filing system that enables you to send the printer output
across the network as if you were saving it to a file.

> In my defence this time, I'm looking at the 8-page paper instruction
> booklet that came with the UP floppy, called "Universal" Network
> Printer Driver and nowhere at all does it mention or illustrate the
> Printers Connection window or settings.

UniPrint comes with UniSetup which does all this for you. You
shouldn't really need to edit the Connections window yourself if
you've set it up properly via UniSetup.

> Slightly off-topic now, but related, UP's launch-URL feature works
> perfectly, but having discovered that the launch-file feature duly
> launches MSWord and MSExcel on my PC but both only with empty windows,
> no display of any file, not even a new/blank one, let alone the one I
> launched on the Acorn side, Andrew at RComp told me that this is still
> a bug to be corrected.

Yes, this is fixed in UniPrint 2.02 which will be released very soon.
You wouldn't believe how messy Windows is in some respects and it took
a while to sort out consistent launching of applications.

> However, one problem is that whilst UP has a facility to
> switch the URL-launch on and off at will, there is no such
> corresponding facility for the file-launch

It would be much more complicated to do this because you would really
need to be able to switch each and every filetype independently as
required. Also, most people would want to have files launched on one
OS only - it's not quite the same as Web browsing where you want to
switch to the PC temporarily if the RISC OS browsers can't handle the
site you're looking at.

Alan

--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents
0
spamhater1 (1060)
2/4/2006 10:28:29 PM
In message <55091ef44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
          Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>

[snip]

>> However, one problem is that whilst UP has a facility to
>> switch the URL-launch on and off at will, there is no such
>> corresponding facility for the file-launch
>
> It would be much more complicated to do this because you would really
> need to be able to switch each and every filetype independently as
> required. Also, most people would want to have files launched on one
> OS only - it's not quite the same as Web browsing where you want to
> switch to the PC temporarily if the RISC OS browsers can't handle the
> site you're looking at.
>
> Alan

How about an option of an Iconbar Icon to drop files onto to send to
the Windows host.

John

--
John Sandford   West Herts   UK

Hemel Hempstead RISC OS User Group email info @ hhrug.org
In message <8e2721f44d.jms@sandford.ntlworld.com>
          fornewsgroups@ntlworld.com wrote:

> In message <55091ef44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
>           Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
>
> [snip]
>
>>> However, one problem is that whilst UP has a facility to
>>> switch the URL-launch on and off at will, there is no such
>>> corresponding facility for the file-launch
>>
>> It would be much more complicated to do this because you would really
>> need to be able to switch each and every filetype independently as
>> required. Also, most people would want to have files launched on one
>> OS only - it's not quite the same as Web browsing where you want to
>> switch to the PC temporarily if the RISC OS browsers can't handle the
>> site you're looking at.

> How about an option of an Iconbar Icon to drop files onto to send to
> the Windows host.

I believe Andrew at R-Comp has already written exactly that to supply
with the new version of UniPrint.

Alan

--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents
0
spamhater1 (1060)
2/4/2006 11:22:07 PM
In message <55091ef44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
          Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
wrote:

[snip]

> If you think about it, the options in the Connections window are radio
> buttons, which indicates that one of them should be ticked. If none is
> ticked, then the printer driver is being told to send its output
> nowhere.
  Oh dear, old age really must be doing for me! Yes, fair cop
     guv! Quite right. Silly me. I'm not thinking straight at all
     now. I'd like to say "for a change" but don't think it's
     really true!

>> So, where you say <destination> above, can I select anywhere on my
>> hard-disc I like for that, or does it have to be a specific location,
>> please?
>
> The destination is either the PC that you're printing to, or it can be
> "sprite" or "virtualacorn" (the latter only if you have the VA version
> of UniPrint).
 Erhmm, I think I do have the VA version, but remind me please, how do
I check?

> So you might put "uniprintfs:10.0.0.2" or "uniprintfs:winbox" if
> that's the name of your PC. UniPrintFS provides
> a virtual filing system that enables you to send the printer output
> across the network as if you were saving it to a file.
 Ok, done this, thank you very much for the explanation. I first
 tried the 'name' variant, so put in "uniprint:SpaceCube" this did
*not* give the 'background printing complaint, but seemed to cause the
hourglass to run forever, (well ok, a few seconds!), so I Alt/Break-ed
it and then changed the UP PDF to the PC's IP address instead.

Vunderbar! I have now printed the business card document via UP to the
HP2550L - bless you, bless you, bless you! I can't tell you just how
pleased I am. Thank you so much.

Knowing that you are just a little younger than me, would you care for
a contribution to your pension?

[snip]

> UniPrint comes with UniSetup which does all this for you. You
> shouldn't really need to edit the Connections window yourself if
> you've set it up properly via UniSetup.
 Well, to the best of my knowledge I did what was required when I ran
UniSetup, so could you speculate how I might have managed to ruin what
it did for me? I know it's probably a "How long is a piece of
string?"-type question, but ...

>> Slightly off-topic now, but related, UP's launch-URL feature works
>> perfectly, but having discovered that the launch-file feature duly
>> launches MSWord and MSExcel on my PC but both only with empty windows,
>> no display of any file, not even a new/blank one, let alone the one I
>> launched on the Acorn side, Andrew at RComp told me that this is still
>> a bug to be corrected.
>
> Yes, this is fixed in UniPrint 2.02 which will be released very soon.
> You wouldn't believe how messy Windows is in some respects and it took
> a while to sort out consistent launching of applications.

For once you are wrong! Yes, I *would* believe how messy Windows is!
Quite readily I would believe it!

>> However, one problem is that whilst UP has a facility to
>> switch the URL-launch on and off at will, there is no such
>> corresponding facility for the file-launch
>
> It would be much more complicated to do this because you would really
> need to be able to switch each and every filetype independently as
> required. Also, most people would want to have files launched on one
> OS only - it's not quite the same as Web browsing where you want to
> switch to the PC temporarily if the RISC OS browsers can't handle the
> site you're looking at.
>
> Alan
Right, so the fact that this reply was necessary exposes, (and quite
cheerfully too), how technically ignorant I am, so thank you for
explaining it to me, and my apologies for it being necessary.

Having thus accepted the explanation, nevertheless what am I to do
about reverting to my previous situation where clicking on a Wordfile
on the Acorn results in EasiWriter being launched, (as EW is 'looked
at' by the Filer on boot-up), and displaying the file, instead of UP
whizzing it off to the PC whereupon I get presented with an empty
application window? Yes I know I can drag Wordfiles to EW's icon but
this is less convenient because I don't have EW run on boot-up, only
looked at.

Thank you again Alan for finally cracking this for me. I really am
extremely grateful to you for ridding me of this frustrating
situation.

--
Alex.
0
          Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <55091ef44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
>           Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> The destination is either the PC that you're printing to, or it can be
>> "sprite" or "virtualacorn" (the latter only if you have the VA version
>> of UniPrint).
>  Erhmm, I think I do have the VA version, but remind me please, how do
> I check?

Actually I think what I said was a bit confusing. R-Comp are now
supplying a Deluxe version that does everything, and a VA-only version
that does, erm, VA only, so they are all VA-enabled. What I really
meant was that you should use "uniprintfs:virtualacorn" if you are
running it on VA, or a valid hostname or IP address if you ae printing
to a separate PC.

> Knowing that you are just a little younger than me, would you care for
> a contribution to your pension?

Just keep buying the software. I've no plans to retire just yet!

>  Well, to the best of my knowledge I did what was required when I ran
> UniSetup, so could you speculate how I might have managed to ruin what
> it did for me? I know it's probably a "How long is a piece of
> string?"-type question, but ...

Is it possible that at some point you right-clicked on the radio
button and de-selected it?

> Having thus accepted the explanation, nevertheless what am I to do
> about reverting to my previous situation where clicking on a Wordfile
> on the Acorn results in EasiWriter being launched, (as EW is 'looked
> at' by the Filer on boot-up), and displaying the file, instead of UP
> whizzing it off to the PC whereupon I get presented with an empty
> application window?

Do you want Word files to open always in EW or do you want to
alternate between that and Word? If the former, you can just remove
them from the list of filetypes that UP sends to Windows. I can't
remmber whether UniSetup has an option to do this, but if all else
fails, go to the !UniPrint directory which should be in
!Boot.Choices.Boot.PreDesk and inside this is a file called PCTypes
which you can edit (you need to restart UniServer before the change
takes effect).

If you want to alternate between EW and Windows, hold on a little
longer until UP 2.02 comes out, edit the PCTypes file as described
above so that EW remains the default app, and then use Andrew's new UP
front end to send Word files to the PC when you need to do so.

> Thank you again Alan for finally cracking this for me. I really am
> extremely grateful to you for ridding me of this frustrating
> situation.

I'm pleased that it's now sorted for you.

Alan

--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents
0
spamhater1 (1060)
2/5/2006 2:10:15 PM
In article <c04174f44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>,
   Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk> wrote:
> If you want to alternate between EW and Windows, hold on a little
> longer until UP 2.02 comes out, edit the PCTypes file as described
> above so that EW remains the default app, and then use Andrew's new UP
> front end to send Word files to the PC when you need to do so.

Now will that also work where I use RISC OS for all e-mail/news and open most
URL references in RISC OS - but sometimes want to open them up in Firefox on a
networked PC?

--
	John Cartmell	john@ followed by finnybank.com	  0845 006 8822
	Qercus magazine	FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527		www.finnybank.com

john233 (5650)
2/5/2006 4:17:45 PM
In message <c04174f44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
wrote:

> In message <70172cf44d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
>           Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <55091ef44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
>>           Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The destination is either the PC that you're printing to, or it can be
>>> "sprite" or "virtualacorn" (the latter only if you have the VA version
>>> of UniPrint).
>>  Erhmm, I think I do have the VA version, but remind me please, how do
>> I check?
>
> Actually I think what I said was a bit confusing. R-Comp are now
> supplying a Deluxe version that does everything, and a VA-only version
> that does, erm, VA only, so they are all VA-enabled. What I really
> meant was that you should use "uniprintfs:virtualacorn" if you are
> running it on VA, or a valid hostname or IP address if you ae printing
> to a separate PC.
 I haven't got as far as sorting  out UP with VA yet - I only got UP
just over a week ago and I've spent most of the time since being busy
with something or other ... now just what was it...!

>> Knowing that you are just a little younger than me, would you care for
>> a contribution to your pension?
>
> Just keep buying the software. I've no plans to retire just yet!
  Oh yes, I'll certainly do that :-)

>>  Well, to the best of my knowledge I did what was required when I ran
>> UniSetup, so could you speculate how I might have managed to ruin what
>> it did for me? I know it's probably a "How long is a piece of
>> string?"-type question, but ...
>
> Is it possible that at some point you right-clicked on the radio
> button and de-selected it?
  Could be, I guess, thanks anyway.

>> Having thus accepted the explanation, nevertheless what am I to do
>> about reverting to my previous situation where clicking on a Wordfile
>> on the Acorn results in EasiWriter being launched, (as EW is 'looked
>> at' by the Filer on boot-up), and displaying the file, instead of UP
>> whizzing it off to the PC whereupon I get presented with an empty
>> application window?
>
> Do you want Word files to open always in EW or do you want to
> alternate between that and Word? If the former, you can just remove
> them from the list of filetypes that UP sends to Windows. I can't
> remember whether UniSetup has an option to do this,
 Yes it does. On running UniSetup you just click on the File/URL
Launching button next to the Save button. This in turn opens a window
of similar title-bar name. There are two buttons, "Activate URL
launching" and "View filetypes to be launched". This latter takes you
directly to the Choices file you mention below.

> but if all else fails, go to the !UniPrint directory which should be in
> !Boot.Choices.Boot.PreDesk and inside this is a file called PCTypes
> which you can edit (you need to restart UniServer before the change
> takes effect).
 Ninety per cent of the time I want Wordfiles handled by EasiWriter,
but there is the odd one to send to the PC.

> If you want to alternate between EW and Windows, hold on a little
> longer until UP 2.02 comes out, edit the PCTypes file as described
> above so that EW remains the default app, and then use Andrew's new UP
> front end to send Word files to the PC when you need to do so.

 Ok, I'll hang on, thanks.

 Out of interest can I ask you about 'commentiing out' in this file,
please?

It contains instructions which appear to have been commented out using
the hash '#' character but the other lines are also preceded by #, so
it can't be commented out. I know that the usual character for this
purpose is '|' (to the left of the 'Z' on the keyboard). Before asking
about switching Word on/off in UP I attempted to do this myself by
preceding Word with |
                       So:  |MS Word (&AE6)
but it didn't stop it. Am I correct in thinking the reason it didn't
work is because immediately below the MSWord line is 'ae6' (without
the quote marks)? I did not comment that out because I didn't know
what its function was exactly - even though it pretty obviously must
be related in some way because it is a lower-case version of the
letters after the ampersand.

--
Alex.
0
          Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

>  Out of interest can I ask you about 'commentiing out' in this file,
> please?
>
> It contains instructions which appear to have been commented out using
> the hash '#' character but the other lines are also preceded by #, so
> it can't be commented out. I know that the usual character for this
> purpose is '|' (to the left of the 'Z' on the keyboard). Before asking
> about switching Word on/off in UP I attempted to do this myself by
> preceding Word with |
>                        So:  |MS Word (&AE6)
> but it didn't stop it. Am I correct in thinking the reason it didn't
> work is because immediately below the MSWord line is 'ae6' (without
> the quote marks)? I did not comment that out because I didn't know
> what its function was exactly - even though it pretty obviously must
> be related in some way because it is a lower-case version of the
> letters after the ampersand.

I'm not sure exactly what's in the file that's supplied with UP.

It should contain a list of filetypes, one per line. These may be
either the hex value or the name, e.g. MSWord would be the same as AE6
or ae6. Comments are preceded by a #. You're correct in saying that |
is the normal comment character for Obey files, but for most other
files (e.g. config, messages etc) it's more normal to use #. So my own
PCTypes file contains the following:

  #List of filetypes to launch on Windows
  PDF
  MSWord
  Excel
  PhotoShp
  db0

(I can't remember what DB0 files are offhand).

Alan

--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents
0
spamhater1 (1060)
2/5/2006 7:41:33 PM
In article <c89692f44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>,
   Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk> wrote:

> (I can't remember what DB0 files are offhand).

> Alan

Supposed to be a DBase initialisation file.

Cheers
Dave S

dfs (2099)
2/5/2006 8:25:39 PM
In message <4df47fee4cjohn@cartmell.demon.co.uk>
          John Cartmell <john@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <c04174f44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>,
>    Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk> wrote:
>> If you want to alternate between EW and Windows, hold on a little
>> longer until UP 2.02 comes out, edit the PCTypes file as described
>> above so that EW remains the default app, and then use Andrew's new UP
>> front end to send Word files to the PC when you need to do so.
>
> Now will that also work where I use RISC OS for all e-mail/news and open most
> URL references in RISC OS - but sometimes want to open them up in Firefox on a
> networked PC?

R-Comp are encouraging the use of Select-click to open a URL in a RISC
OS browser and Adjust-click to open it in a PC browser. Grapevine now
does this, and I believe the next version of Messenger Pro will do so
too.

Alan

--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents
0
spamhater1 (1060)
2/5/2006 10:05:03 PM
In message <4df496a07adfs@ukgateway.net>
          Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> In article <c89692f44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>,
>    Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> (I can't remember what DB0 files are offhand).

> Supposed to be a DBase initialisation file.

I've just checked - it's actually Lotus 123.

Alan

--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents
0
spamhater1 (1060)
2/5/2006 10:07:52 PM
In article <30fc9ff44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>,
   Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <4df496a07adfs@ukgateway.net>
>           Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> > In article <c89692f44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>,
> >    Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> (I can't remember what DB0 files are offhand).

> > Supposed to be a DBase initialisation file.

> I've just checked - it's actually Lotus 123.

> Alan

Are you sure Alan? I though .123 was the Lotus 123 extension.

Cheers
Dave S

dfs (2099)
2/5/2006 10:20:12 PM
In message <4df4a11d49dfs@ukgateway.net>
          Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> In article <30fc9ff44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>,
>    Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <4df496a07adfs@ukgateway.net>
>>           Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

>> > Supposed to be a DBase initialisation file.
>
>> I've just checked - it's actually Lotus 123.
>
>> Alan
>
> Are you sure Alan? I though .123 was the Lotus 123 extension.
>
> Cheers
> Dave S
 Not that I know anything much about such things, but my UniPrint
PCTypes file agrees with Alan:

#Excel (&BA6)
#ba6
# Lotus123 (&db0)
#db0
#f98

--
Alex.
0
wrote:

> In message <fc7a8ef44d.Spamfree@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk>
>           Alex Cessford <alex@alexcessford.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>  Out of interest can I ask you about 'commentiing out' in this file,
>> please?

[snip my own previous text]

> I'm not sure exactly what's in the file that's supplied with UP.
  Mine is:

# This file contains a list of filetypes that
# UniServer will respond to, and launch via
# your Windows machine.  The DOS filetype is
# handled automatically
#
# PDF (commented out)
# adf
#MS Word (&AE6)
#ae6
# Director (&AE3)
#ae3
#Excel (&BA6)
#ba6
# Lotus123 (&db0)
#db0
#f98

> It should contain a list of filetypes, one per line. These may be
> either the hex value or the name, e.g. MSWord would be the same as AE6
> or ae6. Comments are preceded by a #. You're correct in saying that |
> is the normal comment character for Obey files, but for most other
> files (e.g. config, messages etc) it's more normal to use #.

Oh, right-ho! As you will see above, I have now #-commented out all my
lines. I then saved UP and tried clicking on a Wordfile on the Acorn
but UP still sent it to the PC.

It doesn't now,  though - I realised it was necessary to re-boot the
machine for the change to UP to take effect - and it duly has. I now
have Wordfiles grabbed by EasiWriter just as I wished.

Thanks again.

--
Alex.
0
Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <4df47fee4cjohn@cartmell.demon.co.uk> John Cartmell
>           <john@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > In article <c04174f44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>,
> >    Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk> wrote:
> >> If you want to alternate between EW and Windows, hold on a little longer
> >> until UP 2.02 comes out, edit the PCTypes file as described above so
> >> that EW remains the default app, and then use Andrew's new UP front end
> >> to send Word files to the PC when you need to do so.
> >
> > Now will that also work where I use RISC OS for all e-mail/news and open
> > most URL references in RISC OS - but sometimes want to open them up in
> > Firefox on a networked PC?

> R-Comp are encouraging the use of Select-click to open a URL in a RISC OS
> browser and Adjust-click to open it in a PC browser. Grapevine now does
> this, and I believe the next version of Messenger Pro will do so too.

They're trying hard to get me to move from Plto - aren't they? ;-)

--
	John Cartmell	john@ followed by finnybank.com	  0845 006 8822
	Qercus magazine	FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527		www.finnybank.com

john233 (5650)
2/6/2006 12:40:40 AM
In message <4df4a11d49dfs@ukgateway.net>
          Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> In article <30fc9ff44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>,
>    Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <4df496a07adfs@ukgateway.net>
>>           Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

>> > Supposed to be a DBase initialisation file.
>
>> I've just checked - it's actually Lotus 123.
>
> Are you sure Alan? I though .123 was the Lotus 123 extension.

I was referring to hex RO filetypes, not PC extensions.

Alan

--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents
0
spamhater1 (1060)
2/6/2006 8:42:55 AM
In article <3020daf44d.spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk>,
   Alan Wrigley <spamhater@keepyourfilthyspamtoyourself.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <4df4a11d49dfs@ukgateway.net>
>           Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

[Snip]

> > Are you sure Alan? I though .123 was the Lotus 123 extension.

> I was referring to hex RO filetypes, not PC extensions.

> Alan

Ah! so, I see.
Cheers
Dave S