Acorn -> PC file transfer

Hi All

I've had this problem before, and I *thought* I had solved it.

If I take a Word file that has arrived by email to my Acorn - say it's
Letter/doc - and I transfer it across to my laptop using ShareFS,
all is well, and it arrives as Letter.doc.

(PDF files are OK too.)

So far so good.

However, if I take an *EPS* file that has arrived by email to my
Acorn - say it's Picture/eps - and I transfer it across to my laptop
using ShareFS, it arrives as Picture.eps,ff5.

Now, I know (think?!) it's something to do with MimeMap, and I've
looked at the MimeMap file in

!Boot.Resources.!Internet.files.MimeMap

and it has three lines that are relevant to the above:

application/postscript	PoScript	ff5	.ps	.eps

application/pdf		PDF		adf	.pdf

application/msword	MSWord		ae6	.doc

So, first of all, *is* it MimeMap that controls the filename
allocation when files are dragged from Acorn to Windows?

And, secondly, if it is, then why do Word and PDF files go across OK
but not eps files?

And if it's not, how do I avoid these trailing ,ff5 endings on all
my (68 in this job!) EPS files, please?

Thanks in anticipation for any help you can give.

All the best,

Paul

Paul Beverley (Archive Publications) - Advanced Member, SfEP
Editing & proofreading services  01603-722544 - http://www.archivepub.co.uk
0
paul219 (178)
11/27/2007 7:49:31 PM
comp.sys.acorn.apps 4795 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <7b0977484f.paul@paul.archivepub.co.uk>, Paul
Beverley <paul@archivepub.co.uk> wrote:

> However, if I take an *EPS* file that has arrived by
> email to my Acorn - say it's Picture/eps - and I transfer
> it across to my laptop using ShareFS, it arrives as
> Picture.eps,ff5.

I think you need an entry in HostFS Extensions (under the
Tools menu when running in a windowed mode). Put ff5 as the
Type and eps as the Extension. Click on Add and then Apply.

--
John
newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk
          John <newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <7b0977484f.paul@paul.archivepub.co.uk>, Paul
> Beverley <paul@archivepub.co.uk> wrote:

>> However, if I take an *EPS* file that has arrived by
>> email to my Acorn - say it's Picture/eps - and I transfer
>> it across to my laptop using ShareFS, it arrives as
>> Picture.eps,ff5.

> I think you need an entry in HostFS Extensions (under the
> Tools menu when running in a windowed mode). Put ff5 as the
> Type and eps as the Extension. Click on Add and then Apply.

This is an unrelated matter. Paul transfers from a native RISC OS
machine to a Windows machine, so VirtualRPC and HostFS do not come
into it.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner         MW Software      http://www.mw-software.com/
   ArtWorks 2 -- Designing stunning graphics has never been easier
spamtrap@mw-software.com      [replace "spamtrap" by "info" to reply]
0
spamtrap3075 (2307)
11/27/2007 8:38:24 PM
In message <7b0977484f.paul@paul.archivepub.co.uk>
          Paul Beverley <paul@archivepub.co.uk> wrote:

> However, if I take an *EPS* file that has arrived by email to my
> Acorn - say it's Picture/eps - and I transfer it across to my laptop
> using ShareFS, it arrives as Picture.eps,ff5.

> Now, I know (think?!) it's something to do with MimeMap [...]

In an ideal world, yes, that would be controlled by MimeMap. In
practice, it can be controlled by all sorts of mechanisms. That really
depends on what you use to transfer the file. You write ShareFS above,
but I do not believe you. ;-) What does the title bar of the target
Filer window say?

Martin
Martin Wuerthner         MW Software      http://www.mw-software.com/
   ArtWorks 2 -- Designing stunning graphics has never been easier
spamtrap@mw-software.com      [replace "spamtrap" by "info" to reply]
0
spamtrap3075 (2307)
11/27/2007 8:40:45 PM
In message <4f48786cb2newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk>
          John <newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <7b0977484f.paul@paul.archivepub.co.uk>, Paul
> Beverley <paul@archivepub.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > However, if I take an *EPS* file that has arrived by
> > email to my Acorn - say it's Picture/eps - and I transfer
> > it across to my laptop using ShareFS, it arrives as
> > Picture.eps,ff5.
>
> I think you need an entry in HostFS Extensions (under the
> Tools menu when running in a windowed mode). Put ff5 as the
> Type and eps as the Extension. Click on Add and then Apply.

Well done that man! That does the trick. Thanks, John.

All the best,

Paul

Paul Beverley (Archive Publications) - Advanced Member, SfEP
Editing & proofreading services  01603-722544 - http://www.archivepub.co.uk
0
paul219 (178)
11/27/2007 9:32:42 PM
In message <2b837b484f.martin@bach.planiverse.com>
          Martin Wuerthner <spamtrap@mw-software.com> wrote:

> In message <4f48786cb2newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk>
>           John <newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <7b0977484f.paul@paul.archivepub.co.uk>, Paul
> > Beverley <paul@archivepub.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >> However, if I take an *EPS* file that has arrived by
> >> email to my Acorn - say it's Picture/eps - and I transfer
> >> it across to my laptop using ShareFS, it arrives as
> >> Picture.eps,ff5.
>
> > I think you need an entry in HostFS Extensions (under the
> > Tools menu when running in a windowed mode). Put ff5 as the
> > Type and eps as the Extension. Click on Add and then Apply.
>
> This is an unrelated matter. Paul transfers from a native RISC OS
> machine to a Windows machine, so VirtualRPC and HostFS do not come
> into it.

I'm no expert on this (that's an understatement!) but I think that I
*am* using VirtualRiscPC because I'm transferring via ShareFS from
Iyonix to RISC OS on VirtualRiscPC and then using the files within
the Windows part of the machine.

Anyway, John's trick did work, so I'm a happy bunny! :-)

(And I've written a note to myself in case I come up against
the same problem again in 6 months and can't remember how to
solve it!)

All the best,

Paul

Paul Beverley (Archive Publications) - Advanced Member, SfEP
Editing & proofreading services  01603-722544 - http://www.archivepub.co.uk
0
paul219 (178)
11/27/2007 10:07:01 PM
In article <2b837b484f.martin@bach.planiverse.com>, Martin
Wuerthner <spamtrap@mw-software.com> wrote:

> This is an unrelated matter. Paul transfers from a native
> RISC OS machine to a Windows machine, so VirtualRPC and
> HostFS do not come into it.

Rats! You're right. I've not been able to get Paul's recent
troubles with VRPC (over on Archive on Line) out of my head.
I made an unwarranted assumption. I must check next time.

I must stop trying to help people. :-(

--
John
newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk
j dot mccartney atte blueyonder dot co dot uk
http://www.jm689.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
0
newsmcc (301)
11/27/2007 10:52:04 PM
In article <52a083484f.paul@paul.archivepub.co.uk>, Paul
Beverley <paul@archivepub.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm no expert on this (that's an understatement!) but I
> think that I *am* using VirtualRiscPC because I'm
> transferring via ShareFS from Iyonix to RISC OS on
> VirtualRiscPC and then using the files within the Windows
> part of the machine.

Aha! My unwarranted assumption was warranted after all -
though more by luck than good judgment.

--
John
newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk
j dot mccartney atte blueyonder dot co dot uk
http://www.jm689.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
0
newsmcc (301)

BBC Micro B and Acorn Archimedes A400 (?) to PC file transfer
The problem: Lots of data from family history apps, View, Bbase etc on the BBC B and Acorn Archimedes A400* needs to go onto a PC. *The label on the front says A310, I'm pretty sure it got upgraded to an A400 (*HELP COMMANDS shows most things being between May and Oct 1988). All I have is a disk called PC Emulator and another called "Beebug Arhimedes Serial Link" for the Archie (can't find the associated cable). I found this: http://web.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink/home/software/65link/ but do I need it in light of having the serial link? And what about getting the data from the Archie to the PC? What about something that will allow my PC to read Archie disks directly? Or perhaps a way of connecting the BBCB disk drives to the PC? What about BBCB to PC? All the choices and software are starting to make my head spin. And as far as my soldering skills goes, about 1 in 3 of the cables I've made works first time. So ideally, I wouldn't mind paying something reasonable for a "pack" of all the bits and pieces to get all the data onto the PC. Something else has just occured to me - what about a hard drive in the Archie? It doesn't have one now, and I'm almost certain it wouldn't know what to do with an old 2Gb PC ATA drive, but might that be a good "conduit" between the three machines? Oh, and the mouse on the Archie is nearly shagged, the ball seems to have no grip despite my boiling it in hot water (which sometim...

PC to Acorn transfer
I have a (actually 3) A7000s, each of which has an ethernet card, and a PC laptop which I want to transfer files to using a direct connection from the PC network card to the Ethernet card on the 7000. Im using windoze XP on the laptop. What is the best way to set this up, hopefully for free, and what sort of transfer rate can I expect? Many Thanks Jon Dallimore PS, if people could send any replys by email I would be grateful as I have a mad couple of weeks coming up and wont be able to get on the newsgroup for a while. Thanks. ...

Transfering data from acorn to pc
I have a need to transfer a lot of data from my very old RiscPC to Windows. I do not have a network card on the RiscPC Neither is there a USB port. I have considered floppies, but really do not have the time to do so. Is there a simpler way to carry this out? On 11 Nov 2008, Tanuj Shah <news@shaniwas.screaming.net> wrote: > I have a need to transfer a lot of data from my very old RiscPC to > Windows. Is the data in a format which can be read by a Windows application? > I do not have a network card on the RiscPC > Neither is there a USB port. You've ruled out the b...

acorn to pc transfer across a network card
I am trying to transfer files between an A7000 and a PC with Windoze xp. Both have network cards, and I am trying to set this up with a direct connection from the A7000 net card to the PC. I have Omniclient on the Acorn, and just normal windoze tools on the PC. Can anyone tell me how to set this up so I can share drives on the acorn with the pc,and visa versa. If people could email to dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk as I dont know when I will get chance to check usenet again. Thanks Jon ...

Copy files from Acorn Risc Hard Drive to PC ?
I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector in a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? Thanks for any help. Regards In message <Xns9AB8B56D879FCisissoft@193.202.122.104> Isis <isissoft@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote: > I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old > Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector in > a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? In outline, you'll either need to plug the drive into a RISC OS computer, or into a PC chassis running Linux, with an add-on to read the files. As far as I know you can't read them under Windows. (There might be something related to Red Squirrel/Virtual Acorn, but i suspect you'd need the emulator for that to work.) no doubt you'll get more precise/accurate answers soon. -- Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk http://www.nckc.org.uk/ On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:50:16 +0000, Isis wrote: > I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old > Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector > in a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? Windows does not support the file system that RISC OS, Acorn's operating system, uses - let along the par...

How to create PC File Description File(.FDF) for Client Access file transfer utility?
Hello Friends, I want to know how can i create PC File Description file (.FDF) that we give in File Transfer Utility of Client Access, while transfering any file from PC to AS400. What are the parameters of .FDF file and how can i create one to describe my PC file that is to be transfered? I would be grateful if you can guide me to some manual in which i can get this. Thanks in Advance for yr help in this regard. kind regards, Umer Assuming the file exists on the as400, use CA to download the file first and select create FDF option. If not, download any file and select FDF and look at its definition. I remember it being pretty basic, but I can't recall the exact syntax. On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:25:14 -0800, Umer wrote: > Hello Friends, > I want to know how can i create PC File Description file (.FDF) > that we give in File Transfer Utility of Client Access, while > transfering any file from PC to AS400. What are the parameters of .FDF > file and how can i create one to describe my PC file that is to be > transfered? I would be grateful if you can guide me to some manual in > which i can get this. > Thanks in Advance for yr help in this regard. > > kind regards, > Umer > "Umer" wrote: > I want to know how can i create PC File Description file (.FDF) > that we give in File Transfer Utility of Client Access, while > transfering any file from PC to AS400. What are the parameters of .FDF > f...

Acorn Publisher / Acorn User / Qercus
By now some people should have received their copy of Qercus - ie issue 268 of Acorn User or vol 10 issue 1 of Acorn Publisher. The additional printing numbers and distribution is new to us so we're not sure how long it will take to get to all subscribers or to be available in the shops. Some bulk mailings to overseas customers may not go until next week. Our experience so far with the database we inherited from Tau Press is that some customers will receive duplicate copies of the magazine whilst others will not receive one at all. We have been working hard to put right as many errors as we could identify but we know there are still some problems remaining. If you receive an extra issue will you please let us know and tell us which reference numbers are on the two (three/four!) labels so that we can put it right for next time. Please don't return any copies - donate duplicates to a friend, library, dentist/doctor's waiting room &c If you don't receive your copy (UK) then please do not let us know until the middle of next week; we have arranged to do *another* sweep of the database after the SW Show and may have sorted out outstanding problems by the time you call. Whilst far-flung Acorn User subscribers should receive their copies faster than before they should give it an extra week at least before reporting non-receipt. For this occasion reminders have been sent separately from the magazine and should have already been received by UK subscribers who n...

For sale: games for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k) & IBM PC (5.25" & 3.5" & CD)
I have many old games, on 5.25" & 3.5" & CD for PC and on tapes for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k). I need to sell some of them. Would you like to buy any? I have bank accounts in the U.K.; the Republic of Ireland; Sweden; Germany; the Netherlands and Italy, so I can accept payment in a number of currencies and in a number of ways. I live at 2461 Via Tosco Romagnola, Titignano, 56023 Cascina (PI), Italy. Send me an email or a lett...

Acorn NC or Acorn NetStation, looking for one.
I am looking for an Acorn NC with ethernet interface! If someone has one, please let me know, and a reasonable price. Complete, with the remote and etc! Thanks! Leonardo leonardo@editek.com In message <1192995978.255456.168910@y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com> leonardo.cohen@gmail.com wrote: > I am looking for an Acorn NC with ethernet interface! If someone has > one, please let me know, and a reasonable price. Complete, with the > remote and etc! I shall be eBaying an NC with ethernet, but no remote, fairly shortly, possibly in the next few weeks. Alan -- RISC OS - you know it makes cents ...

transfer file to PC
Hi: If I use T3 with a SD card, how can I transfer regular binary files such as .zip or .exe or ..... from my desktop to T3 or T3 to desktop? I would like to use my T3 as a mean to transfer files between office and home. I do not want to purchase a separate SD card reader. PPC seems to able to do it pretty easily. Your help is greatly appreciated. "Sun Kim" <sancinlen@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:124f2680.0311271821.7c0c15e9@posting.google.com... > If I use T3 with a SD card, how can I transfer regular > binary files such as .zip or .exe or ..... fr...

Acorn Replay Files and more...
I know that many of us have ARPlayer &c lying idle on our hard drives wanting for content so I have just uploaded four of my old ARMovie clips to help. Visit http://timil.com/riscos for your enjoyment and/or to fuel scathing criticism. ;-) These are by no means meant to be hollywood blockbusters. They were just a bit of fun, playing with VideoDesk on a RiscPC. Check out the file sizes before downloading. You have been warned. More clips on http://youtube.com/timothyjrhill http://timil.com/riscos is also the home to a few other bits and pieces - such as my attempt at maintaining a compr...

Qercus (Acorn User / Acorn Publisher) binders
The new Qercus binders will be available within 2 weeks and we're taking orders now. They are available in dark blue with the Qercus logo in gold on the spine. The binders will match previous Acorn Publisher binders but will hold 14 copies of the magazine so Qercus readers will have a spare string for notes and indexes whilst Acorn Publisher readers will have room for two years' issues including two annual special issues of Qercus. Qercus is well-worth collecting so order your binder today. Binders will cost 8.95 each inc UK postage and may (just) be available at Wakefield. Until the end of May new subscribers starting their subscription with issue 268, and ordering a binder at the same time, will receive their first issue free. ie UK subscription + binder = 49.95 + 8.95 = 58.90 for year's subscription from issue 269 with issue 268 free. Orders should be sent to "Finnybank Ltd" 30 Finnybank Road Sale M33 6LR or by phone to 0161 969 9820. Cheques or cards can be accepted. Binders and magazines will be despatched together as soon as the binders are available. -- John Cartmell editor Qercus - editor@qercus.com www.qercus.com Qercus: a fusion of Acorn Publisher & Acorn User magazines one magazine for graphics & design - one magazine for all RISC OS users Finnybank Ltd 30 Finnybank Rd Sale M33 6LR == 0161 969 9820 _______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.anno...

PC file transfer
On my old System 36 - how can I transfer a physical database file to the "PCFOLDER" section? I can drag a PT file to it but not a main file. I've been told that an SAV file can be emailed etc. but I don't see how to create one anywhere but on the tapedrive. I'd like to use VB to manipulate the data and then convert back to the original file format with the new data. Sorry for the newbie question - only 6 months of IS400 knowledge. :-( Are you talking about a genuine System/36, an Advanced 36 running SSP only, a guest S/36 on an AS/400 or the System/36 environment on an AS/400? You mention of a SAV file suggests the latter, but if you describe the hardware and software more fully, I can probably help. Peter Kinsman "Malak" <jimd77@cox.net> wrote in message news:42f10f2e-a1ba-4618-a0f4-7e7ec4284347@i24g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > On my old System 36 - how can I transfer a physical database file to > the "PCFOLDER" section? I can drag a PT file to it but not a main > file. I've been told that an SAV file can be emailed etc. but I don't > see how to create one anywhere but on the tapedrive. I'd like to use > VB to manipulate the data and then convert back to the original file > format with the new data. > > Sorry for the newbie question - only 6 months of IS400 knowledge. :-( > It's an I-Series running V5R3 but this file is a sys36 file. I think it's strange that ther...

FS: Misc Acorn (and non-Acorn) hardware
Like Peter Naulls yesterday, I'm trying to get rid of my remaining Risc PC and the related hardware. I've put them on eBay. The Acorn-specific items are: Acorn Risc PC StrongARM 233 MHz + Power-tec SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202188067 i-cubed EtherLan600 for Acorn Risc PC/A7000 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202186713 Acorn Risc PC power supply, backplane and screws http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202185817 RISC OS Select http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202184767 STD PS2Mouse for Acorn Risc PC http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202183392 Acorn MEU + Plextor PlexWriter RW 4220 internal SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202182624 Graphic tablet PaintPal Deluxe http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202181086 The rest is not Acorn-specific but was connected to either a Risc PC or a Iyonix and therefore may be of interest here as well: Mitsumi FA402M 3.5" Floppy and 7in1 Media Drive http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202179719 Sony 3.5" Floppy MPF 920 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202177159 ELSA MicroLink ISDN 4U Router/Hub http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5777800061 Iomega ZIP 100 Drive external SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202173954 HP ScanJet 3c SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...

FA: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor
For Auction on eBay: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor British Broadcasting Corporation Microcomputer System Processor: ARM 3 Memory: 8 MB Hard Disc: 350 MB Podules: Design IT E500 Access+ (Ethernet 10Base2) Oak SCSI Interface Watford Electronics Scanner Peripherals: 3-button mouse Original keyboard with extension cable Watford Electronics Hand Scanner Monitor: Acorn AKF50 with mains connection to A310 and 9/15 adapter. Slight superficial damage to monitor case. Used to be in daily use. Needed only fresh AA batteries (for CMOS RAM) to overcome a year of non-use. Buyer arranges collection. Payment: cash on collection <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acorn-Archimedes-A310_W0QQitemZ8804993118QQcategoryZ4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> -- * Sick of BT? Leave them and reduce your phone bill by up to half. * Want a spam-proof Usenet address? Visit www.invalid.org.uk or email me: postmaster at invalid dot org dot uk * (tim@invalid.org.uk is deleted - please use my valid address above) .... "Thy glass will show thee how thy beauties wear, thy dial how thy precious minutes waste" Sonnet 77 ...

Making Acorn Replay files
Hi guys is there anyway of making Acorn replay files from other video formats like Mpeg, AVI etc on a PC etc for free? thanks for your help. From David Heath ...

Virtual Acorn and file types
Hi all. I just bought datapower and reinstalled VA5000 v1.4. However, most filetypes in the apps are set to text. This means the app wont install. How can I do this apprt from asking R-comp to send me a zipped version? cheers bob In message <7b144ff3.0308171046.434f7dee@posting.google.com> r.hartley@bio.gla.ac.uk (Bob Hartley) wrote: > I just bought datapower and reinstalled VA5000 v1.4. However, most > filetypes in the apps are set to text. On which medium did you receive DataPower and how did you try to install it? Martin -- -----------------------------------...

FS: Acorn PC software
PCExchange: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101337912 PC Pro 3: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101339128 I'm selling from Germany, but as it's software + manual I don't see any problems in shipping overseas. Please get in touch for shipping cost. -- Stefan Bellon In message <4cbcf8c362sbellon@sbellon.de> Stefan Bellon <sbellon@sbellon.de> wrote: > PC Pro 3: Is that the version that works properly with RO4? Simon In article <8efb3abd4c.simonwillcocks@home.invalid>, Simon Willcocks <simon.willcocks@t-online.de> wrote: > > PC Pro 3: > Is that the version that works properly with RO4? I've got 3.06, and didn't have any problems when changing to RO4. -- *The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread * Dave Plowman dave.sound@argonet.co.uk London SW 12 RIP Acorn Simon Willcocks wrote: > In message <4cbcf8c362sbellon@sbellon.de> > Stefan Bellon <sbellon@sbellon.de> wrote: > > PC Pro 3: > Is that the version that works properly with RO4? I can't tell you which version it is as I haven't installed it anymore. But there's still a directory Choices:PC.v306 on that Risc PC, so it is at least version 3.06 and I can confirm that it worked for me with RISC OS 4 (and I think RISC OS Select as well, though I used PC Pro 3 very rarely in the last time). -- Stefan Bell...

Acorns fall next to the tree [Acorn stuff on ebuy UK]
I usually don't surf Acorns, but I noticed some on ebuy. Acorn RiscOS 3.5 ROMs - no reserve Acorn 486 Co-processor card - no reserve Acorn Arm610 processor card - no reserve ...

Ex-Acorn HDD on a PC
Hi everyone, Wits end approaching... I have here a 1.2Gb and an 8.6Gb HDD (IDE), both of which have been used on Risc OS in the past. The 8.6 has also had Ubuntu successfully installed since being used on Risc OS. I have installed DOS 6.2 on both using a fairly modern skip-fodder PC but they both give 'Non-system disk' error when trying to boot from them. DOS apparently installs correctly on both of them and all the files seem to be there. Have tried beginning with 'fdisk' and 'format' till blue in the face, and all appears to go well until trying to boot. Also tried 'sys c:' to no avail. I have pretty well run out of ideas - can anyone help? TIA Howard. -- ------------- Howard Dawson hsdawson@ormail.co.uk http://hd-audio.orpheusweb.co.uk/ --------------------------------- Howard Dawson <hsdawson@ormail.co.uk> wrote: > I have installed DOS 6.2 on both using a fairly modern skip-fodder PC but > they both give 'Non-system disk' error when trying to boot from them. DOS > apparently installs correctly on both of them and all the files seem to be > there. Have you written an MBR on the drives ie made them bootable? I think that might be done by: FDISK /MBR -- Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own. Email sent to my from-address will be deleted. Instead, please reply to newsreplyaaa@wingsandbeaks.org.uk replacing "aaa" by "284". On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 19:52:06 +0000, Howard Da...

FA: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor #2
For Auction on eBay (Less than 20 hours to go): Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor British Broadcasting Corporation Microcomputer System Processor: ARM 3 Memory: 8 MB Hard Disc: 350 MB Podules: Design IT E500 Access+ (Ethernet 10Base2) Oak SCSI Interface Watford Electronics Scanner Peripherals: 3-button mouse Original keyboard with extension cable Watford Electronics Hand Scanner Monitor: Acorn AKF50 with mains connection to A310 and 9/15 adapter. Slight superficial damage to monitor case. Used to be in daily use. Needed only fresh AA batteries (for CMOS RAM) to overcome a year of non-use. Buyer arranges collection. Payment: cash on collection <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acorn-Archimedes-A310_W0QQitemZ8804993118QQcategoryZ4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> ...

file transfer from Unix to PC
I have connected my PC to a UNIX old NCR machine with a serial port. But I couldn't transfer the files from the old NCR machine to the PC. Can anyone help on this? What commands shall I use? thanks On 13 Aug 2006 22:13:55 -0700, selamta@gmail.com <selamta@gmail.com> wrote: > I have connected my PC to a UNIX old NCR machine with a serial port. > But I couldn't transfer the files from the old NCR machine to the PC. > Can anyone help on this? What commands shall I use? > > thanks > What methods have you tried? Does the ncr machine have only a serial port, or does it have a network interface? -- Elbonics, n.: The actions of two people maneuvering for one armrest in a movie theatre. -- "Sniglets", Rich Hall & Friends selamta@gmail.com wrote: > I have connected my PC to a UNIX old NCR machine with a serial port. > But I couldn't transfer the files from the old NCR machine to the PC. > Can anyone help on this? What commands shall I use? > If you're stuck with using a serial port then see if both machines have a kermit program. If they've both got ethernet network interfaces then use those instead. -- Dave mail da ve@llondel.org (without the space) http://www.llondel.org So many gadgets, so little time ...

File Transfer: NorthStar to PC
Hello Folks, This is a question on behalf of a friend: I would like to know if anyone has successfully transferred files from a NorthStar hard sector floppy disk to a PC using a ompatiCard II. If so, would you please explain what and how you did it? Thank you ziloo ...

Transfer large files to PC
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C42AFB.A8655E70 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0023_01C42AFB.A8655E70" ------=_NextPart_001_0023_01C42AFB.A8655E70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable BlankI have a RiscPC 600 and I want to transfer large files to a PC. I have a SCSI card and external drive for the Acorn. If I buy a PC SCSI card will my PC be able to read the Acorn files on my = SCSI drive? If this is not possible, how can I transfer m...

A500 to a PC file transfer?
Hi, I have an A500 with 1Mb of memory and only a floppy drive. Is there a way to transfer the contents of flopy disks from the A500 to a PC. I have a paid up full version of cloantos Amiga Emulator but, can't see how I can move things from the real to the unreal so to speak. Any suggestions welcome. Regards Steve jarvis Connect your pc to your amiga using a null modem cable. NOT a serial cable! make sure it's a null modem cable. install cloanto's amiga explorer onto the PC. after installation you have got an icon on your desktop, "Amiga Computer". D...

Web resources about - Acorn -> PC file transfer - comp.sys.acorn.apps

Talk:Asynchronous Transfer Mode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Computing , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of computers , computing , and information ...

DeskConnect file transfer app updated with share extension, 3D Touch support, and more
DeskConnect is a file transfer app from the makers of Workflow. It allows you to easily share files between your iPhone, iPad and Mac. DeskConnect ...

Future of the Internet: Researchers set new record with 57 Gbps fiber optic data transfer
When you think of prestigious and influential Computer Science and engineering programs, schools like MIT, Stanford, University of Michigan, ...

Chelsea Transfer News: Axel Witsel, Domingos Quina, Mats Hummels, Latest Rumours - Bleacher Report
Chelsea have been put on high alert after Axel Witsel revealed his desire to leave Zenit St. Petersburg this summer, but the Blues are at risk ...

Hallelujah, A College Football Coach Has A Sensible Position On Transfers
There is a litany of asinine and unfair NCAA rules, but perhaps the most blatantly unfair are the transfer rules. With limited exceptions, college ...

Here's how the Hyrule Warriors 3DS to Wii U transfer process works
... U edition of the game . It's been out in Japan since January, but now that I have a US copy of the game, I can confirm the details of the transfer ...

Mark Richt Gets It with Transfers-Sadly Most Coaches Do Not.
Are they Students or Employees? I have had numerous posts in this space concerning the ways that college athletes are essentially treated as ...

Officials say Guantanamo transfers have killed Americans
Officials say Guantanamo transfers have killed Americans

Officials Say Guantanamo Transfers Have Killed Americans
Americans have been killed by prisoners released from the detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, a senior Defense Department official told ...

‘Law & Order: SVU’: Fin Tutuola Reacts To Olivia Benson’s Transfer, Ice-T Says Situation ‘Rights Itself’ ...
... (Robert John Burke) ended up being investigated by Internal Affairs. Due to Olivia Benson’s personal link to Tucker, she ended up being transferred ...