Electronic publishing - PDF optimiser

Hi,

people are often using PDFs to publish something online. A lot of the
PDFs contains pictures in *big sizes* which are useful for printing
but not for switching online (I think, because you will read this on
your screen). So here is my question: Is it possible to make PDFs by
just one mouse click optimal for online publishing? Are there any
programs for this job?

A.

--
Venusberg, Upper Bavaria
British A7000+ (computer) running RISC OS 4.39 Adjust (OS)

In message <ab160a9a4f.noreply@chiemgau-net.de>
          "Alex' A. Interrants" <ausserstorfer@mail.com> wrote:

> people are often using PDFs to publish something online. A lot of the
> PDFs contains pictures in *big sizes* which are useful for printing
> but not for switching online (I think, because you will read this on
> your screen). So here is my question: Is it possible to make PDFs by
> just one mouse click optimal for online publishing? Are there any
> programs for this job?

There is no such thing as "optimal for online publishing". Making PDFs
smaller is always a tradeoff of quality versus file size.

If you create your PDF files using Ghostscript (used e.g., via
PrintPDF or !ps2pdf), then you have options to control how the
resolution of pictures is reduced and how they are compressed, so you
can produce small, low resolution PDF files for screen reading. For
instance, in PrintPDF you can choose the optimization "Screen".

Martin
Martin Wuerthner         MW Software      http://www.mw-software.com/
   ArtWorks 2 -- Designing stunning graphics has never been easier
spamtrap@mw-software.com      [replace "spamtrap" by "info" to reply]
0
spamtrap3075 (2307)