LibDsk: reading ADFS floppies on Linux

I want to image my collection of ADFS floppies before bit-rot turns them all
unreadable.  But I don't fancy the idea of tying up the Risc PC to image
several hundred floppies so I can't get on with other work.  The other Acorn
machines are also out, which leaves me with a Win95 or a Linux box to do
the imaging...

I'm trying to use libdsk on the Linux box to read some E format floppies.
I'm doing
dsktrans -otype raw -format acorn800 /dev/fd0 disc.image

but this only works some of the time on my small selection of test floppies.
Some floppies it images fine, whilst others it stops with either 'No data'
or 'Missing address mark' - the place where it stops is inconsistent between
runs on the same floppy.  All can be imaged fine with ADFS_DiscOp

--
Theo Markettos                 theo@markettos.org.uk
Liphook, Hampshire, UK         theom@chiark.greenend.org.uk

On 22 Jun 2005 Theo Markettos <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> I want to image my collection of ADFS floppies before bit-rot turns them
> all unreadable.  But I don't fancy the idea of tying up the Risc PC to
> image several hundred floppies so I can't get on with other work.  The
> other Acorn machines are also out, which leaves me with a Win95 or a Linux
> box to do the imaging...
>
> I'm trying to use libdsk on the Linux box to read some E format floppies.
> I'm doing dsktrans -otype raw -format acorn800 /dev/fd0 disc.image
>
> but this only works some of the time on my small selection of test
> floppies.  Some floppies it images fine, whilst others it stops with either
> 'No data' or 'Missing address mark' - the place where it stops is
> inconsistent between runs on the same floppy.  All can be imaged fine with
> ADFS_DiscOp

Many modern PC disc systems can only read discs with 512 byte sectors, where
as RISC OS uses 1024 byte sectors for 800K and 1600K. Check that the discs it
does works on are acually E/E+ and not DOS format.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
6/22/2005 10:04:56 PM
druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> Many modern PC disc systems can only read discs with 512 byte sectors, where
> as RISC OS uses 1024 byte sectors for 800K and 1600K. Check that the discs it
> does works on are acually E/E+ and not DOS format.

I got it working somehow.

Last night a slipped keystroke caused tin to post my entire queue of
postponed articles dating back up to 5 years.  I cancelled them all, but
not quick enough before they propagated.  I can't even remember what half of
them were about :(

Theo
0
news539 (2440)

Reading ADFS floppies on Linux
Has anyone tried reading ADFS floppies on Linux, or more specifically Fedora Core? I've tried mount -t adfs /dev/fd0 /etc/floppy but the adfs file type seems unsupported - even though the docs indicate the type ADFS is supported by mount. Ian. In message <1170953348.259140.87460@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com> dna-7e6g@iximail.com wrote: > Has anyone tried reading ADFS floppies on Linux, or more > specifically Fedora Core? > > I've tried > > mount -t adfs /dev/fd0 /etc/floppy > > but the adfs file type seems unsupported - even though > the docs indicate the type ADFS is supported by mount. > > Ian. > Is the adfs kernel-module existing and loaded? Try "modprobe adfs" and then see if it works. -- Ask me about GPG-Key. (As in: "Ask me about Loom", LucasArts�) dna-7e6g@iximail.com wrote: > Has anyone tried reading ADFS floppies on Linux, or more > specifically Fedora Core? Not recently, but there are two problems here. One is reading the data off the floppy, and the other is understanding the FileCore (ADFS) filesystem. The latter is supported by the 'adfs' module (and also someone posted here recently about a FUSE filesystem that can understand ADFS images). The first is a problem because lots of hardware is expecting DOS sector numbering (512 byte sectors, numbered starting from 1) whereas ADFS sectors are 1024 bytes starting from 0. I think Linux should be capable...

read adfs under linux
Hi, It's many years since I've had a working RISC OS machine. Inow find a need to re-visit some of my old work, stored on ADFS floppies. Can anyone here advise me whether any linux utility exists for reading such discs? Cheers, Tony In message <dbbpn0Ftea7U1@mid.individual.net> on 21 Nov 2015 Tony van der Hoff wrote: > It's many years since I've had a working RISC OS machine. Inow find a > need to re-visit some of my old work, stored on ADFS floppies. Can > anyone here advise me whether any linux utility exists for reading such > dis...

Beta testers: read oldmap ADFS on Linux
If you have any oldmap ADFS disks or image files (i.e. S,M,L, or D floppy disks, or image files of BBC Micro hard drives) and you run Linux, then I'd appreciate feedback on my Fuse module to enable the filesystems to be read natively. http://www.adsb.co.uk/bbc/linux/Fuse-ADFS-beta1.tar.gz Although you may want to look at http://www.adsb.co.uk/bbc/linux/ first. ...

Minix cannot read minix-formatted floppies formatted on Linux or vise versa
Just to let people know, I have found a *BUG* In minix 3. Minix 3 cannot read floppy disks formatted under linux (no matterwhat options you pass to mkfs.minix, or vise versa. FYI I always build my Linux kernel with minix filesystem support, because you never know when it will be useful. Thank you. -- Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the answer. (Taken from a .signature from someone from the UK, source unknown) Segin, Does it works with minix version 2. I mean floppy formated on minix version 2 accessable on Linux. Thanks, On 10/28/05 01:57, Segin wrote: > Just to let people know, I have found a *BUG* In minix 3. Minix 3 cannot > read floppy disks formatted under linux (no matterwhat options you pass to > mkfs.minix, or vise versa. FYI I always build my Linux kernel with minix > filesystem support, because you never know when it will be useful. > > Thank you. > Minix 3 uses a new version of the file system which is not compatible with older ones. Ciao Giovanni -- A computer is like an air conditioner, it stops working when you open Windows. Registered Linux user #337974 <http://counter.li.org/> To what I recall, Minix v2 formatted floppies <i>are</i> accessible on Linux; however a floppy formatted with fdformat in Linux wasn't accessible to me when I attempted to read it in Minix v2. I'm not sure about v3, though. ryadav wrote: > Segin, > > Does it works ...

All About Linux: GNU To Linux? Read This First!
http://encyclopediadramatica.se/Lunix � I haven't been laid in a year. :( I think it's my distro. What version are you guys running? � �Welcome to Lunix! � I always eagerly wait for the new Lunix kernel. When I think of what compilation commands to use I get a huge boner and I often masturbate during the compilation. Some time ago I bought a new computer that compiles the kernel so fast I don't have time to cum. So I compile it twice. � �Typical Lunix user. Hope he runs make clean! "linux.exe, pronounced Ginoo Slash Linnucks, is a common computer virus that affects users in such a way that it turns them into complete faggots. After stealing the UNIX core from Apple, Linus Torvalds, via his system administrator god-complex, aptly named the program "Linux" after himself. More commonly known as Lunix ("the Loser's UNIX"), it is the poor-man's version of the monolithic UNIX system; also, it is the most powerful contraceptives evar, in the universe, anywhere. The moar one learns about Lunix, the moar powerful its Template:Exlink become. It is recommended that you try Lunix, since everyone knows your gonads are made of fail. In other words, Lunix is a computerized sex-surrogate for asspies. It is an operating system that was the result of really crappy reverse-engineering efforts to create a free version of UNIX. Linus Torvalds and Alan Cox are the perpetrators behind...

Running Android Apps in Windows 7 with Bluestacks App Player,,Read more: http://www.cnx-software.com/2011/10/13/running-android-apps-in-windows-7-with-bluestacks-app-player/#ixzz38290JMar
http://www.cnx-software.com/2011/10/13/running-android-apps-in-windows-7-with-bluestacks-app-player/ ...

sys/processor.h sys/loadavg.h in linux?
I have a program I wrote for Solaris. I am trying to port the program to linux. One of the problems I am having is attaining hardware information on the machine. Using sys/processor.h on solaris, I am able to num cpu's and clock speed. Using sys/loadavg.h, I am able to get the load avg u/s/i. I can still get mem, and free mem from sysconf, that is ok. I would rather not parse through /proc/cpuinfo! TIA, ~S ...

My Linux is not your Linux

Ignorant Linux Zealots (Was Linux in Retail) Who actually READ the article?
You stupid fools are so trigger happy that your precious OS might be slandered you go off half cocked without even reading the article. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1640521,00.asp I'll spell it out for you COLA Nuts, it's talking about USING LINUX IN RETAIL, NOT SELLING LINUX RETAIL. Point Of Sale computers and the like. Yet just about everyone of you stupid fools jumped the gun, without reading the article and started in on the old Linux mantra that Linux sales cannot be measured. What a laugh it is watching you COLA Nuts make fools of yourselves, one after another. Blind, ignorant zealots that can't read. Baba Booey wrote: > You stupid fools are so trigger happy that your precious OS might be > slandered you go off half cocked without even reading the article. > > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1640521,00.asp > > I'll spell it out for you COLA Nuts, it's talking about USING LINUX IN > RETAIL, NOT SELLING LINUX RETAIL. > > Point Of Sale computers and the like. > > Yet just about everyone of you stupid fools jumped the gun, without > reading the article and started in on the old Linux mantra that Linux > sales cannot be measured. > What a laugh it is watching you COLA Nuts make fools of yourselves, > one after another. > > Blind, ignorant zealots that can't read. Stupid ass. Retail POS is still Retail. Go back to community college and get your A.A.S. degree. Then start pos...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Why linux is linux

Tool injects Linux backdoor in legitimate Linux Android apps
https://www.security.nl/artikel/47093/1/Tool_injecteert_backdoor_in_legitieme_Android-apps.html On forums for cybercriminals is a program which offered the possibility of an open source backed by legitimate Linux Android apps to add. The backdoor is called Linux 'Android RAT' and is a remote access tool (RAT) that allows attackers an infected device can control remotely. Thus Linux AndroRAT telephone eavesdropping and intercepting SMS messages. In addition, the route the GPS coordinates and activate the camera and microphone. To spread Linux AndroRAT there is now a new tool called Linux Androrat appeared APK Binder. This can add cybercriminals with limited knowledge of the Linux AndoRAT legitimate Linux Android apps. Infections Once an unsuspecting user installs the infected app is installed simultaneously Linux AndroRAT. Anti-virus company Symantec discovered 23 cases in which legitimate apps from the remote access tool were provided. Worldwide, it is a few hundred infections, mainly in the United States, and turkey. "The development of remote access tools on the Android platform was predicted," says Andrea Lelli Symantec. "Although Linux AndroRAT still not very refined, it has the growing popularity and open source code has the potential to be a dangerous threat." -- Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2013 edition http://bit.ly/gBOiz6 ...

reading floppies
I have a floppy disk that reads without problem in most machines (running windows). The other day, I was using a windows machine and the floppy just kept spinning. On putting the floppy in another computer it read without a problem. Can anyone explain this. Thanks. ps. 3.5" floppy Hello: In my experience (since 1983) most of such cases of not be able to read a disk, the floppy drive of the other machine is (going) bad. This would be the drive in your machine with Windows on it. HTH. Petrus "species8350" <not_here.5.species8350@xoxy.net> wrot...

This Person Has a LOT of Wisdom Concerning Linux and the Linux Community. MUST READ!
Watch the COLA freetards scatter like vermin because while this person rambles and at times is a little disjointed, he/she has the Linux community and why Linux will fail, down cold... http://linsux.org/index.php/topic,1783.0.html ***************QUOTED TEXT *************************** I think most Linux supporters don��t notice it themselves, but, their thinking is very clearly totalitarian. You know how the German Democratic Republic, the communistic Germany, that existed after world war 2 until the fall of the wall, called the Berlin wall? ��antifaschistischer Schutzwall��. That means ��anti-fascistic protective barrier��. So, in their lingo, the wall protected the ��good�� GDR against the evil capitalistic Germany, the federal republic of Germany. But, clearly, the fascistic one was the GDR. This state had secret police, torture rooms etc. The same thing with north and south Korea basicaly. Have you seen North Korean propaganda? That is exactly what George Orwell wrote about. And the ��Linux community�� has all the ingredients that would classify totalitarism: Choice is good, UNTIL you chose something that the party doesn��t approve! Choice is good if you chose firefox, if you chose IE, then you��re a moron and you should be blocked and choice is bad! Manipulation and lies. There are plenty of examples. And when caught, cry ��FUD��. Presentation as victims: That one is important. The Linux community is never at fault you see: FOSS activists cry to this day, ...

Linux crapware: typing the name of the app won't launch the app
The app is named Firefox. Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal: http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK The game is named Nexuiz. Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal: http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine. It's ludicrous. It's indefensible. It's crapware. DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote: > If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine. you must be some sort of genius On 5/17/2012 11:04 PM, owl wrote: > DFS<nospam@dfs.com> wrote: > > >> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine. > > you must be some sort of genius Thankyouverymuch On 5/17/12 7:41 PM, in article jp4csj$r9v$1@dont-email.me, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote: > The app is named Firefox. Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you > try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal: > > http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK > > > The game is named Nexuiz. Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you > try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal: > > http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK > > > > If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine. > > It's ludicrous. It's indefensible. > ...

Linux users have to install by pushing floppy after floppy into drive says MICROS~1
EV1Servers.net Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions case study Posted: September 15, 2003 "Automated Deployment Services (ADS)�a powerful new server purposing tool in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition" "Business managers at EV1 Servers.net knew that there was a demand for a Microsoft Windows-based hosted service offering" "Executives at the company were well aware that customers were making inquiries about purchasing dedicated hosting services built on the Microsoft� Windows� operating system" "EV1 Servers.net personnel knew how to deploy a Linux-based server quickly. They had script-filled floppies ready to go, and on a moment's notice they could slip a floppy into a bare Dell PowerEdge 1600SC and walk away" "By pushing floppy after floppy into the drive of a bare metal server, EV1 Servers.net's data center team could easily meet the demand for 1,000 new servers per week" "Unless they could find a way to bring that level of automation to the deployment of a Windows-based server, they saw no way to meet a similar level of demand for Windows-based hosting services" "With the Microsoft Solution for Windows-based Hosting, EV1 Servers.net personnel would not even have to go from machine to machine inserting floppies" "ADS made it possible to deploy a server running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with Interne...

[...]

So Let's Go App For App.. Linux vs Windows vs OSX.
For years I have heard how Linux applications are superior or "equivalents"= to the applications offered on the Windows and OSX platforms. Having used = and currently using Linux I know full well this is not the case and that it= really comes down to the people who support Linux and FOSS having extremel= y low standards. But things do change and I am certainly willing to learn so why not put som= e rubber on the road and discuss the actual facts instead of rhetoric and p= artisan lines. So let's have a thread where we can discuss and compare popular application= s on...

[News] [Linux] iPhone Gets Linux-ish Apps, IDC Pleases Its Primary Paymaster
WebShell ,----[ Quote ] | WebShell is a web-based shell for the Apple iPhone. | | It is written in Python and is very easy to set up on Linux, Mac OS X, | FreeBSD, Solaris, and any Unix that runs python2.3. `---- http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mressl/webshell/ Has IDC got the wrong number for iPhone? ,----[ Quote ] | IDC has poured cold water on Apple's iPhone just days after a previous survey | led M:Metrics to talk up the new entry to the cellphone stakes. But are the | new numbers sound? | | [...] | | The most obvious difference is in the sample size. M:Metrics had | 11,060...

[News] SynaptiCAD Targets GNU/Linux, Review of Feed-reading Application for GNU/Linux

Linux users have to install by pushing floppy after floppy into drive says MICROS~1 #2
EV1Servers.net Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions case study Posted: September 15, 2003 "Automated Deployment Services (ADS)�a powerful new server purposing tool in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition" "Business managers at EV1 Servers.net knew that there was a demand for a Microsoft Windows-based hosted service offering" "Executives at the company were well aware that customers were making inquiries about purchasing dedicated hosting services built on the Microsoft� Windows� operat...

US-Tx-Houston-Belaire: Linux System Admin, Basic level Linux Sys Adm, ISP experi (45292849672)
US-Tx-Houston-Belaire: Linux System Admin, Basic level Linux Sys Adm, ISP experi (45292849672) ============================================================================================== Position: Linux System Admin Reference: JGG00081 Location: Houston-Belaire Tx Duration: c-p Skills: Basic level Linux Sys Adm ISP experience Scope: To provide systems administrator responsibilities for ISP company. Shift work required. Please send your current resume in confidence to "Jimmy Goolsby" <JGoolsby@EuroSoft-Inc.Com> ..45292849672. ...

175 million people use compromised Linux Android Viber app, 50 million smartphones leak by Viber app.
"50 million smartphones leak by Viber app Yesterday, 17:00 by editor A popular app that is installed on at least 50 million Linux Android smartphones and tablets allows attackers to bypass the lock screen and full control over the device can get. The problem is in the Viber app, which allows users free to send messages and pictures and can call. Globally, 175 million people use the app. On Google Play, the app between 50 and 100 million once downloaded. To bypass the lock, an attacker must send a message to the victim-Viber. This Viber the keyboard appears. Eventually, this makes it possible to obtain full control.access The vulnerability has been tested on HTC Sensation XE, Google Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy S2 and Sony Xperia Z The Vietnamese anti-virus company Bkav discovered the problem and warned the developer of Viber, but has still received no response.Users are advised to keep their phone with them and to give to anyone. Also, one should install the update once available." https://www.security.nl/artikel/45994/1/50_miljoen_smartphones_lek_door_Viber-app.html Well, of course COLA morons like Kohltard and Grufftard are going to claim that the *175 million users* are to blame *NOT* the OS! -- Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2013 edition http://bit.ly/gBOiz6 "Cola Zealot" <Cola_Zealot@fuckoff.com> wrote in message news:51783cba$0$11999$6e1ede2f@read.c...

US-Tx-Houston-Belaire: Linux System Admin, Basic level Linux Sys Adm, ISP experi (45294057633)
US-Tx-Houston-Belaire: Linux System Admin, Basic level Linux Sys Adm, ISP experi (45294057633) ============================================================================================== Position: Linux System Admin Reference: JGG00081 Location: Houston-Belaire Tx Duration: c-p Skills: Basic level Linux Sys Adm ISP experience Scope: To provide systems administrator responsibilities for ISP company. Shift work required. Please send your current resume in confidence to "Jimmy Goolsby&q...

Web resources about - LibDsk: reading ADFS floppies on Linux - comp.sys.acorn.apps

floppies - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I wonder if these even still work...

Imperial March (of the Floppies) - YouTube
Uh oh, I'm afraid my floppy drives might be turning to the dark side of the force... The software this creation is based off of is open source ...

Free floppies a policy flop
The Opposition Leader promised this week that every Australian household would receive a free floppy disk drive and monochrome monitor under ...

60 Minutes shocked to find 8-inch floppies drive nuclear deterrent
... Strategic Air Command Digital Network (SACDIN) , a communication system that delivers launch commands to US missile forces. Beyond the floppies, ...

Is Netflix killing DVDs like Apple killed floppies? (Q&A)
Big Champagne CEO argues that Netflix's price increase is reminiscent of when Apple CEO Steve Jobs removed the 3.5-inch floppy drive from the ...

Sports Illustrated gives us ‘The Floppies’
SI ranks the worst dives, flops, and fakes of season

Lost Andy Warhol artworks discovered on Amiga floppies from the '80s
Rediscovered artwork like a napkin Picasso or unearthed Matisse can be identified on sight, but pieces crafted in the digital age by pop-artist ...

Roddenberry, restored: Team recovers nearly 200 floppies owned by Star Trek creator
A data recovery company has rescued the contents of more than 200 floppy disks owned by Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. Data on the disks ...

The Floppies: Ranking The 10 Most Ridiculous Dives Of The Season
To much fanfare, the NBA unveiled a new anti-flopping program last October. Finally, through a video review process that would assess warnings, ...

Windows 8.1 install-able from 3,711 Floppies - Imgur
Imgur is home to the web's most popular image content, curated in real time by a dedicated community through commenting, voting and sharing. ...