PDF / PS / PDF conversion

Hi,

I need to add titles to some PDF files I've been sent.  My normal
method of hand-editting in Zap doesn't work for these particular files,
so I did the following:

1. Display PDF file (using !PDF)
2. Print to PS file (using !PS3 and 'print to file')
3. Convert back to PDF, adding title (using !PrintPDF)

This works, and the result looks the same despite reducing the filesize
from 219k to 98k.  But the hyperlinks are no longer hyperlinks -
they're not displayed in blue or clickable.

1. Is there any way to retain the hyperlinks?
2. Is there an easier way to edit PDF files?

Thanks,
Chris.

0
news6849 (105)
5/20/2011 9:44:24 AM
comp.sys.acorn.apps 4795 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 20/05/2011 10:44, Chris Bell wrote:
> I need to add titles to some PDF files I've been sent.  My normal
> method of hand-editting in Zap doesn't work for these particular files,
> so I did the following:
>
> 1. Display PDF file (using !PDF)
> 2. Print to PS file (using !PS3 and 'print to file')
> 3. Convert back to PDF, adding title (using !PrintPDF)
>
> This works, and the result looks the same despite reducing the filesize
> from 219k to 98k.  But the hyperlinks are no longer hyperlinks -
> they're not displayed in blue or clickable.
>
> 1. Is there any way to retain the hyperlinks?

No, it's lost when converting to postscript.

> 2. Is there an easier way to edit PDF files?

Any number of PDF editors for other platforms.

---druck
0
news5802 (529)
5/20/2011 6:00:54 PM
druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
> On 20/05/2011 10:44, Chris Bell wrote:
> > I need to add titles to some PDF files I've been sent.  My normal
> > method of hand-editting in Zap doesn't work for these particular
> > files, so I did the following:
> > 1. Is there any way to retain the hyperlinks?

> No, it's lost when converting to postscript.

> > 2. Is there an easier way to edit PDF files?

> Any number of PDF editors for other platforms.

> ---druck

Once again, many thanks.

Chris.

0
news6849 (105)
5/20/2011 7:40:12 PM
The following bytes were arranged on 20 May 2011 by Chris Bell :

> 1. Display PDF file (using !PDF)
> 2. Print to PS file (using !PS3 and 'print to file')

Erm, can you not just use !PDF's Save > Postscript menu?  All this does
is decompress it, so you won't lose anything.

--
  __<^>__   "Did you know that polar bears stay white all year round? ...The
 / _   _ \  white colour makes them less visible to the seals and penguins they
   Martin Bazley <martin.bazley@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> The following bytes were arranged on 20 May 2011 by Chris Bell :

> > 1. Display PDF file (using !PDF)
> > 2. Print to PS file (using !PS3 and 'print to file')

> Erm, can you not just use !PDF's Save > Postscript menu?  All this
> does is decompress it, so you won't lose anything.

No.  I tried that.  !PDF puts an A5 document into the middle of an A4
sheet.  Printing allows me to select the correct A5 size paper.

Chris.

0
news6849 (105)
5/20/2011 8:48:26 PM
In message <e1837ed651.martin@blueyonder.co.uk>
          Martin Bazley <martin.bazley@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> The following bytes were arranged on 20 May 2011 by Chris Bell :

>> 1. Display PDF file (using !PDF)
>> 2. Print to PS file (using !PS3 and 'print to file')

> Erm, can you not just use !PDF's Save > Postscript menu?  All this does
> is decompress it, so you won't lose anything.

Not quite. That still does a considerable amount of conversion work
and loses many things. You are right in that it will probably retain
more information than printing to PostScript from !PDF because the
latter goes through three conversion steps:

PDF => Draw file => RISC OS printing system => RISC OS PS driver,
and each of these steps potentially loses information.

--
Martin
Martin Wuerthner         MW Software      http://www.mw-software.com/

Web resources about - PDF / PS / PDF conversion - comp.sys.acorn.apps

Conversion (law) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its criminal counterpart is theft . Examples are seen in cases where trees are cut down and the lumber hauled from the land by someone not having ...

Personalized Notifications Can Increase Conversion Up to 300%
... to avoid sending generic push notifications to every user. By sending personalized notifications instead, companies can see their conversion ...

Ex-gay conversion therapy challenged in federal consumer fraud lawsuit
... a federal consumer fraud complaint with the Federal Trade Commission against People Can Change, an organization that practices ex-gay conversion ...

10 Copywriting Tips You Can Use Right Now To Boost Conversion Rates
Writing great content is quite possibly the quickest and most cost-effective way to increase your conversion rates. Great content creates engagement ...

Hail Caesar! The 'other' Roman Centurion conversion movie is a bizarre, self-satisfied mess
Martin Saunders went to see 'Hail Caesar!', and found the whole thing incredibly disappointing.

First Solar Achieves New Conversion Efficiency World Record For CdTe Solar PV Cells
Originally published on Sustainnovate. By Henry Lindon A new conversion efficiency world record for cadmium-telluride solar photovoltaic cells ...

A Response To Jonah Goldberg On His Mistaken Claim Of My Trumpine Conversion
I prefer an economic-growth solution to middle-class angst, not a protectionist program.

What Is the Difference Between the Conversion and Recharacterization of an IRA?
... there are certain rules and tax implications you need to know about. Photo: www.TaxCredits.net . When it comes to IRAs, the terms "conversion" ...

Pay At The Pump Mobile App Could Eliminate Need For Costly EMV Conversions At Gas Stations
Gas stations and convenience stores have until Oct. 1, 2017 to replace mag swipe card readers with EMV or face the liability for fraud. A Finnish ...

TODD STARNES: Students told to write essay on their conversion to Islam
TODD STARNES: Students told to write essay on their conversion to Islam