f



A3010 Hard disc

Hi.

Know this is a tall order but does anyone have an IDE interface for the
A3010 which I could use to connect a hard disc to the machine? Also, I
need a user port on the expansion card. I dont need a hard disc, I have
two in an A7000 and I could take one for this. Know it wont fit, but
neatness doesnt really matter. I just need the inteface.

Alternatively does anyone have an expansion card of any sort whatsoever
for an A7000 with a user port on it? I really dont care what it is so
long as theres a user port (for an external control box I want to get
working for a model railway).

If anyone has one they dont want could they email me?
Dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk
Would prefer an email as I wont have a chance to check the group for a
while.

A freebie would be great (I would pay postage etc) but otherwise email
me with a price and I'll consider it. Cant pay too much tho Im a poor
skivvy student!! :-)

Many thanks in advance
Jon Dallimore

0
dallimoj (58)
6/22/2005 3:00:17 PM
comp.sys.acorn.hardware 3619 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

3 Replies
309 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 24

On 22-Jun-2005, "Jon Dallimore" <dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk> wrote:

> Know this is a tall order but does anyone have an IDE interface for
> the A3010 which I could use to connect a hard disc to the machine?
> Also, I need a user port on the expansion card. I dont need a hard
> disc, I have two in an A7000 and I could take one for this. Know it
> wont fit, but neatness doesnt really matter. I just need the
> inteface.
>
> Alternatively does anyone have an expansion card of any sort
> whatsoever for an A7000 with a user port on it? I really dont care
> what it is so long as theres a user port (for an external control
> box
> I want to get working for a model railway).

I still have a few of our A3IN IDE interfaces for the A3000/3010 etc.
which also have a BBC style User Port.

These are new and I could supply one for 15 GBP. If you're interested
contact me on the usual APDL email address.

BTW you can't fit a 3.5" drive directly to an A3010 as it doesn't have
a 12v line on its power supply. You need either a 2.5" drive or an
external case and PSU.

-- 
David Holden - APDL - <http://www.apdl.co.uk>
0
news5974 (817)
6/22/2005 4:50:37 PM
> These are new and I could supply one for 15 GBP. If you're interested
> contact me on the usual APDL email address.
>
> BTW you can't fit a 3.5" drive directly to an A3010 as it doesn't have
> a 12v line on its power supply. You need either a 2.5" drive or an
> external case and PSU.
>
> -- 
>

I thought the a3010 already had a IDE interface and that all you needed was 
a 44 way IDE cable and a 2.5" hard drive to be up and running for a internal 
hard drive 


0
Simon3118 (2)
6/26/2005 5:32:56 PM
In article <d9mouf$lis$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>,
   Simon Says <simon@says.zz> wrote:

> I thought the a3010 already had a IDE interface and that all you needed
> was a 44 way IDE cable and a 2.5" hard drive to be up and running for a
> internal hard drive 

No, that's the A3020.

John

-- 
John Williams, Wirral, Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject
for reliable contact! Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/ 
Send your spam to: sales@electronicsCHINA.com 
0
UCEbin (2771)
6/26/2005 5:43:48 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Freebie: Original Acorn 210Mb Hard Disc
In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no defects. Does anyone want this drive for the cost of postage? Email me at the address below. Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ On 12 Sep 2007 Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of > old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard > discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ > (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 > installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which > would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; > it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no > defects. These drives are so far past their expected lifetime, don't rely on them continuing to function. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page ...

FS: Misc Acorn (and non-Acorn) hardware
Like Peter Naulls yesterday, I'm trying to get rid of my remaining Risc PC and the related hardware. I've put them on eBay. The Acorn-specific items are: Acorn Risc PC StrongARM 233 MHz + Power-tec SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202188067 i-cubed EtherLan600 for Acorn Risc PC/A7000 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202186713 Acorn Risc PC power supply, backplane and screws http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202185817 RISC OS Select http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202184767 STD PS2Mouse for Acorn Risc PC http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202183392 Acorn MEU + Plextor PlexWriter RW 4220 internal SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202182624 Graphic tablet PaintPal Deluxe http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202181086 The rest is not Acorn-specific but was connected to either a Risc PC or a Iyonix and therefore may be of interest here as well: Mitsumi FA402M 3.5" Floppy and 7in1 Media Drive http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202179719 Sony 3.5" Floppy MPF 920 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202177159 ELSA MicroLink ISDN 4U Router/Hub http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5777800061 Iomega ZIP 100 Drive external SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202173954 HP ScanJet 3c SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...

Hard Discs
I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second (slave) drive. It boots from :4. I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't find a drive. I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK. I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine it only has one drive now. Although I could leave the drive in situ till my new one arrives I really want it out so it can replace an ailing drive in my partners PC. My question is twofold - firstly where do you configure the number of hard drives, configure discs only allows you to change floppy, CD and SCSI drives and mine are both IDE; and secondly will the same problem arise when I eventually take it out and replace it with a new drive as that won't yet be formatted. JayCee In message <395577804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second > (slave) drive. It boots from :4. > > I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from > the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't > find a drive. > > I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK. > > I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine > it only has one drive now. > > Although I co...

Hard Disc format
I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults that HForm gave me. JayCee JayCee wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. ADFS (and HForm) carry a physical limitation of 128Gb. Drives >128Gb use feature sets not used on smaller drives, so the ADFS module needs to support that. Whilst the API for Filecore on RISC OS 5 has been designed to support 256Gb, I'm not aware of that restriction being lifted from ADFS. Select also currently formats and uses drives up to 128Gb on ADFS. Best wishes, Drew On 2 Jul 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. Use DiscKnight's verbose display to see what size you've actually formatted it to. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ In message <284027844d.druck@druck.freeuk.net> dr...

Failed hard disc
The main hard disc in my RiscPC seems to have given up. It threw up a disc error (which may have been 5, sadly I didn't write it down) and now all I'm getting is "Disc not found...". Attempts to access it just result in the machine freezing for long periods of time and it makes the occasional unhappy crunching noise when powered up. I'm assuming it's dead, though if anyone has any suggestions as to troubleshooting methods I'd be interested... The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a bit out of date in this respect. -- Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/ In message <2ac633d44c.steve@helvellyn.stevefryatt.org.uk> Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote: [snip] > The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are > there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a > replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem > isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a > bit out of date in this respect. I am running a Maxtor Diamond +9 (Calypso) for over 15 month now without any trouble. It is connected to the inter...

Replacement Hard Disc
I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the maximum hard disc size that I can fit is - I've been unable to run HForm (I've tried several versions) with a 40Gb HD. So, some questions: What is the maximum size HD that I can add with the current OS and what version of HForm would I use? Can I just add some spare 3.7 ROMs I have and would it make any difference? Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)? What upgrades would make sense in this situation? Thanking you in advance. John Haines In article <4cc4b35ec8jhaines@argonet.co.uk>, John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than > about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)? > What upgrades would make sense in this situation? One answer might be an IDE card. Those can allow you to partition a larger disc so you have several all within the 3.6 maximum. IIRC. -- *I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable. Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. On 25 Jun 2004 John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to > have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the &...

Hard Disc on Iyonix
The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that I should purchase please? DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). On 14 May 2012, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: [snip] > DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the > existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). Disknight checks the directory structure. To find disc errors you need to *verify Tony In article <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: > The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 > at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same > or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same > time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that > I should purchase please? This type of error may also be due to the power supply going off. -- Chris Johnson Chris Johnson <chrisjohnson+news@spamcop.net> wrote: > In article > <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, > svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote...

Hard disc scratch
My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause the system to hang. I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that Scandisk can't overcome this. Anyone know of any utility that can perhaps put the bad sectors into an "envelope" so that they are simply ignored by the system ? Salvador Freemanson wrote: > My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system > (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. > > Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. > Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and > then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. > > We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. > But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause > the system to hang. > > I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc > when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that > Scandisk can't overcome this. ...

More hard disc woes
After all the difficulties I recently had -- but never solved -- getting a 120 GB disc recognised on a RISC OS 4 RiscPC, I've now tried another brand-new disc. This one is 80 GB (a size that is known to be usable on RO 4), and I haven't run HForm or similar tools on it as it came "ready to use" and I don't want to risk rendering it completely unusable. Once again it is not recognised, suggesting that there is something fundamentally wrong here. The 40 GB it replaced worked fine as slave to the 16 GB, the 40 GB is now the master and the 80 is jumpered as slave, so it's really rather puzzling! When I had the same problem with the 120 GB I also tried having it as the master with no slave and that made no difference, so I haven't tried that this time (I really don't fancy stripping down to the motherboard level again!) and strongly feel that it would change nothing. I ran DiscKnight to get some basic info, and the results (below) are intriguing, though I am no expert and do not know why it turns up this result. The number 219 keeps popping up, but I don't know what that signifies if anything. I am hoping that at least one of the experts here will read the report and immediately recignise something very silly that can easily be corrected. If not, I now have *two* spare hard discs(!) DiscKnight 1.40 (28-Dec-2002) [32bit] Serial no. 21300084 Arguments: -v -t -s ADFS 5 Boot block - Boot Record Number of Tracks : 0 Number of...

FS: Hard discs
If anyone is interested, I've got hold of a bunch of hard discs. They're Fujitsu units, MPD3043AT, 4.3GB capacity. Ideal to give yourself a bit more space. Offers to the return address on here. Note that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I've got pukka boxes too, so mailing is no problem. Cheers Mike -- Michael Gilbert: in his own write OK, so there's the Trident in Bangor In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > .... Note > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails > headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I quite understand, but I did smile, I thought you worked in Technical support:-) That would be one of reducing your workload;-) Chris Evans -- CJE Micro's / NCS / Fourth Dimension 'RISC OS Specialists' Telephone: (01903) 523222 Fax: (01903) 523679 chris@cjemicros.co.uk http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/ 78 Brighton Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11 2EN, UK. In article <ant221229b49pErr@client.cjemicros.co.uk>, Chris Evans <URL:mailto:chris@cjemicros.co.uk> wrote: > In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert > <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > > > .... Note > > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard...

Hard disc recovery
I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the files on it ? Thanks On 3 Apr, 22:45, "freddy" <dsd....@hehg.com> wrote: > I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone > recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the > files on it ? > > Thanks Hi freddy, Ouch! Bad luck. Thoughts that spring to mind are: -Dump an image of the drive 'as is' before you do anything else... ....mind you 120gb is going to need some room. Do you have a (um) PC/ Mac with scsi you could use to make the dump if space is tight on your Acorn..? -Something like DiscKnight may help - really an IDE recovery tool but you never know... -Having backed-up the drive first, repartitioning with the original map *may* get you a fair bit of your data back. -Thanks for the contributions :-)- Regards, Charles. Charlie wrote: > On 3 Apr, 22:45, "freddy" <dsd....@hehg.com> wrote: >> I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone >> recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the >> files on it ? > -Something like DiscKnight may help - really an IDE recovery tool but > you never know... As long as the disc hasn't been repartitioned and reinitialised with the same sizes as originally (which will overwrite the disc ma...

Hard Disc linking
Hi, I have just installed a second hard disc (with no links, = slave) and all works perfectly. I had to work out whether the boot disc was configured as a Master or as Drive select so I checked the documentation that came with the disc many years ago. I was surprised as to how the boot disc is configured. All works well was I didn't alter anything but I am left curious. The boot disc is a Maxtor 5T030H3 and is linked as follows; Link between Pins 1 and 6 Link between Pins 2 and 3 X = Pin O = No Pin 1 2 3 4 5 X X X O X X X X X X 6 7 ...

SCSI Hard Disc
My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their anything I can try? Luckily I only use it for temporary audio files so nothing important on it. I ran a test on it just the other day and it reported ok. Perhaps coincidence? -- *There's no place like www.home.com * Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article <4d1b9717e5dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > anything I can try? ... Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ In article <4d1c16edfcbric-nospam@argonet.co.uk>, Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > > anything I can try? ... > Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? No. -- *I yell because I care Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article &...

Tech: Acorn A3010
Tech: Acorn A3010 I have taken out my old Acorn A3010 (the one with the green keys) and when I power on it comes up with Supervisor *222222222222222 and locks up. Does anyone know what is wrong? It was working when I put it away. Is there a battery backup to the settings that has died in storage? What can I do? Keith In message <Fg%pd.1393$FT3.953@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net> "R Franklin" <r.franklin1@ntlworld.com> wrote: > Tech: Acorn A3010 > > I have taken out my old Acorn A3010 (the one with the green keys) and when I > power on it comes up with...

Hard Drive for A3010
I've seen some hard drives for a A7000 on eBay. Will these work with the A3010 ? Will I need an extra power supply or anything ? Steve M "Steve Marshall" <sdm@atmosBlockA.plus.com> wrote in message news:1f_ic.36522$Y%6.4887397@wards.force9.net... > I've seen some hard drives for a A7000 on eBay. Will these work with the > A3010 ? No, least not without an adapter of sorts. The A3010 doesn't have any standard IDE connectors or mounting points for a hard drive. > Will I need an extra power supply or anything ? You need an IDE interface to connect the hard drive to. CJE Micros sell a Simtec IDE Interface 8bit A30x0 that would do the job, however... they also have some second hand Risc PCs for sale[1] that are cheaper than the interface for the A3010. � 60 in comparion to � 69 (inc VAT). With the interface you'll still need to get the hard drive Its your decision, but for an extra couple of quid you could end up with a machine that's massively faster (relatively speaking), newer version of RISC OS, cheaper upgrades over the long term, etc... David McCormack [1] According to their website. http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/prices/categories/computers.shtml#secondhand In message <1f_ic.36522$Y%6.4887397@wards.force9.net> "Steve Marshall" <sdm@atmosBlockA.plus.com> wrote: > I've seen some hard drives for a A7000 on eBay. Will these work with the > A3010 ? Not easily - an A7000 t...

My hard disc locked
I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the data.( both of them are in NTFS format) few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not competitible w/ NTFS) So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my drive D's format. There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. Plz help me! On 19 Feb 2004 02:18:34 -0800, antony617hk@yahoo.com.hk (antony617) wrote: >I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the >data.( both of them are in NTFS format) >few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and >install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) >Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not >competitible w/ NTFS) >So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW >format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't >format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my >drive D's format. >There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. >Plz help me! I found this in a different group: ---------------------------------------------- >Bednarek <mb a...

Acorn A3000 and A3010
Hi, after lurking for a while on this NG and making the odd post. I finally took some advice that was given here about using a Risc PC. It was recommended that you get a low spec one and see if you "get on with it" Anyhoo, I purchased a A3000 and a A3010 from eBay yesterday for fifteen pounds (a bit of a bargain I think) and not know much about these machines I wondered if someone could point me out to where the specs of these machines can be found. And more importantly how the can be upgraded and to what spec is the maximum possible. Can the CPU, ROM etc be upgraded and waht is the maximum memory. I read that the A3000 could take up to four Meg, but is this surpassable? I would eventually like to add a hard disk and soup it up a fully usable machine for modern applications, Is this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated Daniel In message <cbsin6$va7$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk> "Daniel Weston" <daniel@weston5618.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > Hi, after lurking for a while on this NG and making the odd post. I finally > took some advice that was given here about using a Risc PC. It was > recommended that you get a low spec one and see if you "get on with it" > > Anyhoo, I purchased a A3000 and a A3010 from eBay yesterday for fifteen > pounds (a bit of a bargain I think) and not know much about these machines I > wondered if someone could point me out to where the specs of these machines &g...

Hard disc dying?
Today the hard disc on the A5000 at the Wandle Industrial Museum (which is, not, I may add, an exhibit!) displayed worrying behaviour, spontaneously spinning down in the middle of print spooling and then failing to spin up at all when the computer was re-started, causing it to hang for a long time mid-boot and when the hard disc icon was clicked upon. I took the top off the machine and tried unplugging and reseating the power supply lead to the hard disc, which was all I could think of, and the machine did then start up properly the next time I tried it, but I don't know if this was a coincidence or not. The computer is due to be 'upgraded' to a Windows machine in the next few months and I was relying on being able to process the data into a lowest-common-denominator form for transfer, e.g. CSV, HTML, plain text etc. I have a spare hard disc of suitable size (albeit of similar age to the original). Is the defect likely to be in the power supply from the motherboard or in the disc mechanism? i.e. will replacing the hard disc improve reliability or not? There is only 58Mb used space on the disc at present, some of which is unnecessary software -- for example, DigitalCD on a machine where the sound doesn't work -- and I am hoping that I can probably keep the old hard disc running for long enough to copy the data across if required. -- Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie == We prefer to speak evil of ourselves than not speak of oursel...

Hardware hard in Linux?
OK, here's the scenario. Dual boot box consisting of a P4P-800-E DLX, Nvidia video card, printer, scanner, bells, whistles, and it's something I'm proud of. The Linux side is running Slack 10.2 with a custom 2.6.16 kernel and gware Gnome for the desktop. Mrs. Phist decided to buy me a wireless keyboard and mouse since my old ones are almost five years old and I've beaten them all to hell. She's not the most tech savvy person in the world and just went to Best Buy and got a Microsoft keyboard/mouse combo for about $40 CAN. Not a bad deal, but I'm going from PS2 wired k...

Some Acorn user discs
Hello, I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth anything to anyone out there? I haven't decided what to do with them yet, but if no one in my immediate circle can find a use for them, perhaps someone else might offer something for them. W.Simpson In article <JMjXc.415$Ch2.349@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, W.Simpson <simpsons.dot.box@ntlworld.dot.com> wrote: > Hello, > I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which > need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth an...

Hard disc recovery
I had a somewhat strange experience today with a hard drive. Some months ago I decided to upgrade the hard drive on my PC from 100GB to 160GB. The drives were formatted to NTFS. I used the now spare 100GB drive in my Risc PC, initialising it with my Unipod, where it has been used since February this year. As the 100GB was a bit over the top and the PC again needed more space, I reverted the Risc PC to its original 10GB drive and put the 100GB drive - still with all the Risc PC stuff on it - back into the PC, as a slave to the other drive. When I turned the PC on, it went into a half hour ...

Hard disc sick?
Hello, Don't know if this is a hardware issue or if it's just s/ware causing unnescessary concern. My HD verifys 100% perfect but I have recently strarted getting disc error messages when I load MPro. Nothing seems to get corrupted and everything works fine once I've clicked OK on all the errors but obviously I don't want to miss a warning sign that my HD's about to expire. I'm thinking it could well be hardware as also it keeps on re-initialising during use, certainly never used to park the heads after periods of inactivity which is what it appears to be doing now. Any one any thoughts? Pity there isn't a SATA podule available, I've got an 80GB SATA drive with about 3 hrs. use on it just sitting in a box. Also when I've got some money I'll be looking out for a new IDE podule as that Simtec one just isn't doing the job, am only getting onboard IDE performance levels out of it - think it's simply not working with DMA. If any one has a decent IDE card for sale I'd be interested to hear from them. Cheers, Mike.... -- Michael Hambley - mike@armpowered.co.uk http://www.armpowered.co.uk - My little corner of the web. http://www.dispose-it.co.uk - IT disposal/recycling & data destruction. http://www.ecoputers.co.uk - New and refurbished computers, peripherals etc. In message <7d2abf644d.Michael@armpowered.co.uk> Michael Hambley <mike@armpowered.co.uk> wrote: > expire. I'm thinking it c...

Tech: Acorn A3010
Tech: Acorn A3010 I have taken out my old Acorn A3010 (the one with the green keys) and when I power on it comes up with Supervisor *222222222222222 and locks up. Does anyone know what is wrong? It was working when I put it away. Is there a battery backup to the settings that has died in storage? What can I do? Keith In article <Qg%pd.1395$FT3.880@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, R Franklin <r.franklin1@ntlworld.com> wrote: > Does anyone know what is wrong? It was working when I put it away. Is > there a battery backup to the settings that has died in storage? > What can I do? Leave it plugged in for 24 hours to charge the battery, and unstick the 2 key - it may be the one on the number pad or the top row. Then switch off and keep the 'R' key pressed whilst turning it back on until you get the RISC OS banner. John -- John Williams, Wirral, Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses! Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject for reliable contact! Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/ Thanks - after half-hour charge it started working again! Didn't know about that. Keith "John Williams (News)" <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:4d146c6dc7UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk... > In article <Qg%pd.1395$FT3.880@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, R Franklin > <r.franklin1@ntlworld.com> wrote: > > > Does anyone know what is wrong? It was working when I ...

Hard to Find and Used Hardware
comp.unix.aix, I have seen a number of posts, asking were to find low cost system in the Chicago Area and also were to find parts for older systems. Sorry to those who take offence to a vendors posting. I work for Elarasys, Inc. located in Elgin, IL. We are a reseller of used UNIX hardware with a 27,500 square foot facility. Our largest inventory of equipment is IBM RS/6000 (pSeries) followed by Sun. If you are looking for systems, parts and features and are tired of paying IBM's high prices, I would be glad to help. We carry most systems and features in stock. Here are a few affor...

Web resources about - A3010 Hard disc - comp.sys.acorn.hardware

AV CONTROLLER - US on the App Store on iTunes
Get AV CONTROLLER - US on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

RCM2 - a set on Flickr
More system photos

Basingstoke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Basingstoke is a town in northeast Hampshire , in south central England. It lies across a valley at the source of the River Loddon . It is 48 ...

PCWorld Australia
Technology news and reviews for business and home.

Acorn Arcade forums: General
Technology News and Views

Users Currently Online - AVS
AVS Join AVS Home Forums Reviews Articles Galleries My Profile Remember Me or Connect with Facebook Advanced Search AVS › Users Currently Online ...

Preflight Planning
Before you takeoff for each flight, you should go through both the PAVE test and a simple set preflight planning tasks. Below you will find the ...


A/V Receiver Product Reviews
Find av receiver product reviews from across the web. View 1,524 editorial reviews sorted by date. Page 1 of 51.

AVB - Aviano [Pagliano E Gori], Friuli-Venezia Giulia, IT - Airport - Great Circle Mapper
Airport information about AVB - Aviano [Pagliano E Gori], Friuli-Venezia Giulia, IT

Resources last updated: 3/23/2016 7:21:13 AM