Acorn SCSI & Fujitsu drive / best podule slot for RISC iX

I had set up RISC iX on an IBM SCSI drive in and R140 - to tidy up the
innards of that machine and an Arc, I'd like to:

(a) use a Fujitsu SCSI drive in place of the IBM _or_
(b) use the SCSI podule in slot 1 (upper left looking from the front,
i.e. over the econet socket)

Can anyone confirm that (b) will not work - does the SCSI card have to
be in slot 0 for RISC iX?

For (a), the Fujistsu (M1606SAU) is seen by SCSIDM, sectioned,
partitioned, seen by Filer after changing the number of SCSI disks (in
desktop using !Configure).  BUT if I reboot, the filecore partition
can only be seen if I boot to supervisor, run SCSIDM, issue the
"probe" and "device 0" commands, then go into desktop.  Otherwise, the
drive icon is labelled ":4" and clicking on it renders the machine
wholly unresponsive.  Everything works fine with the IBM drive.
Chaining the Fujitsu with the IBM or a Syquest means "probe" sometimes
hangs.  The Fujitsu was previously partitioned using Cumana SCSIMgr -
having used SCSIDM to repartition, I can't see that this should matter
but wondered if there some residual info which confuses the Acorn card
until "probe" and "device 0" explicitly 'registers' the Acorn
partitioning.  Otherwise I'll have to put it down to hardware
incompatibility, the first such problem with SCSI kit I've
encountered.

Unrelated query - anyone know how to deal with a disk that reports
"SCSI medium corrupted" in Cumana SCSIMgr? (other than sending it to
the big disk array in the sky...)

TIA,
Andrew
0
ajw99uk (550)

So long as the econet card does not have long legs and thus interferes
with the scsi card this will be fine.

Is the Fujitsu drive linked to spin up on power up?  If it only spins
up when you probe it then it may not be spinning when filecore tries
to read it.

Alan

ajw99uk@yahoo.co.uk (Andrew Wickham) wrote in message news:<5e20ee0e.0409200758.673fe25@posting.google.com>...
> I had set up RISC iX on an IBM SCSI drive in and R140 - to tidy up the
> innards of that machine and an Arc, I'd like to:
>
> (a) use a Fujitsu SCSI drive in place of the IBM _or_
> (b) use the SCSI podule in slot 1 (upper left looking from the front,
> i.e. over the econet socket)
>
> Can anyone confirm that (b) will not work - does the SCSI card have to
> be in slot 0 for RISC iX?
>
> For (a), the Fujistsu (M1606SAU) is seen by SCSIDM, sectioned,
> partitioned, seen by Filer after changing the number of SCSI disks (in
> desktop using !Configure).  BUT if I reboot, the filecore partition
> can only be seen if I boot to supervisor, run SCSIDM, issue the
> "probe" and "device 0" commands, then go into desktop.  Otherwise, the
> drive icon is labelled ":4" and clicking on it renders the machine
> wholly unresponsive.  Everything works fine with the IBM drive.
> Chaining the Fujitsu with the IBM or a Syquest means "probe" sometimes
> hangs.  The Fujitsu was previously partitioned using Cumana SCSIMgr -
> having used SCSIDM to repartition, I can't see that this should matter
> but wondered if there some residual info which confuses the Acorn card
> until "probe" and "device 0" explicitly 'registers' the Acorn
> partitioning.  Otherwise I'll have to put it down to hardware
> incompatibility, the first such problem with SCSI kit I've
> encountered.
>
> Unrelated query - anyone know how to deal with a disk that reports
> "SCSI medium corrupted" in Cumana SCSIMgr? (other than sending it to
> the big disk array in the sky...)
>
> TIA,
> Andrew
0
ajw (129)
9/21/2004 12:14:26 AM
In message <5e20ee0e.0409200758.673fe25@posting.google.com>
          ajw99uk@yahoo.co.uk (Andrew Wickham) wrote:

> I had set up RISC iX on an IBM SCSI drive in and R140 - to tidy up the
> innards of that machine and an Arc, I'd like to:
>
> (a) use a Fujitsu SCSI drive in place of the IBM _or_
> (b) use the SCSI podule in slot 1 (upper left looking from the front,
> i.e. over the econet socket)
>
> Can anyone confirm that (b) will not work - does the SCSI card have to
> be in slot 0 for RISC iX?

RISCiX System Administrators guide, page 101 states:

'Also note that the machine can only be booted into RISCiX from a SCS|
disc that is attached to a SCSI expansion card in logical slot 0'

From personal experience with RiscOS, I would always have a hard drive
configured as device 0 also.
I think if you have managed to partition it with the Acorn SCSI,
that the drive probably is hardware compatible.

I have a 2 Gb IBM SCSI HD that does not work with the Acorn SCSI but
does with the Cumana SCSI.
I think anything older than 1 Gb is fairly certain to work.

> For (a), the Fujistsu (M1606SAU) is seen by SCSIDM, sectioned,
> partitioned, seen by Filer after changing the number of SCSI disks (in
> desktop using !Configure).  BUT if I reboot, the filecore partition
> can only be seen if I boot to supervisor, run SCSIDM, issue the
> "probe" and "device 0" commands, then go into desktop.  Otherwise, the
> drive icon is labelled ":4" and clicking on it renders the machine
> wholly unresponsive.  Everything works fine with the IBM drive.
> Chaining the Fujitsu with the IBM or a Syquest means "probe" sometimes

> hangs.  The Fujitsu was previously partitioned using Cumana SCSIMgr -
> having used SCSIDM to repartition, I can't see that this should matter
> but wondered if there some residual info which confuses the Acorn card
> until "probe" and "device 0" explicitly 'registers' the Acorn
> partitioning.  Otherwise I'll have to put it down to hardware
> incompatibility, the first such problem with SCSI kit I've
> encountered.
>
> Unrelated query - anyone know how to deal with a disk that reports
> "SCSI medium corrupted" in Cumana SCSIMgr? (other than sending it to
> the big disk array in the sky...)
>
> TIA,
> Andrew

Cheers
--
Ronald May

0
ron.may (20)
9/21/2004 12:52:21 AM
ajw@genesis.net.au (Alan Williams) wrote in message news:<b3d1863d.0409201614.375ed7be@posting.google.com>...
> So long as the econet card does not have long legs and thus interferes
> with the scsi card this will be fine.

Sorry if I was unclear - reference to econet solely to show which
slots I was referring to, no card present.

> Is the Fujitsu drive linked to spin up on power up?  If it only spins
> up when you probe it then it may not be spinning when filecore tries
> to read it.

It should be - and when I checked on the Cumana it has the "spin up on
boot" flag set.  It sounds like it's spinning up (with a moment of
"chatter" when it'sup to speed), and no sounds of spinning up when the
probe command is issued.  I did notice that the Cumana card at first
showed only the interface in the devices list, so it may be there's
now a glitch with the drive rather than just the Fujitsu/AcornSCSI
combination.  Which would be a pain, as it's the second to go in a
couple of weeks (see last note on first post).

Rgds,
Andrew
0
ajw99uk (550)
9/22/2004 10:03:45 AM
Ronald May <ron.may@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message news:<fe90a5f14c%ron.may@paradise.net.nz>...
> In message <5e20ee0e.0409200758.673fe25@posting.google.com>
>           ajw99uk@yahoo.co.uk (Andrew Wickham) wrote:
>
> > I had set up RISC iX on an IBM SCSI drive in and R140 - to tidy up the
> > innards of that machine and an Arc, I'd like to:
> >
> > (a) use a Fujitsu SCSI drive in place of the IBM _or_
> > (b) use the SCSI podule in slot 1 (upper left looking from the front,
> > i.e. over the econet socket)
> >
> > Can anyone confirm that (b) will not work - does the SCSI card have to
> > be in slot 0 for RISC iX?
> >
> RISCiX System Administrators guide, page 101 states:
>
> 'Also note that the machine can only be booted into RISCiX from a SCS|
> disc that is attached to a SCSI expansion card in logical slot 0'

I'd suspected as much from comments on the Unixboot module, but nice
to have it from the manual, thanks.

> From personal experience with RiscOS, I would always have a hard drive
> configured as device 0 also.
> I think if you have managed to partition it with the Acorn SCSI,
> that the drive probably is hardware compatible.
>
> I have a 2 Gb IBM SCSI HD that does not work with the Acorn SCSI but
> does with the Cumana SCSI.
> I think anything older than 1 Gb is fairly certain to work.

Apart from not being seen by SCSIFS/Filer until after a SCSIDM probe,
it does seem to work okay.  I might refit the ST506 to boot from and
put SCSIDM in the boot sequence.

Regards,
Andrew
0
ajw99uk (550)
9/22/2004 10:08:03 AM
In message <5e20ee0e.0409220208.2a6d34b4@posting.google.com>
          ajw99uk@yahoo.co.uk (Andrew Wickham) wrote:

> Ronald May <ron.may@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message news:<fe90a5f14c%ron.may@paradise.net.nz>...
> > In message <5e20ee0e.0409200758.673fe25@posting.google.com>
> >           ajw99uk@yahoo.co.uk (Andrew Wickham) wrote:
> >
> > > I had set up RISC iX on an IBM SCSI drive in and R140 - to tidy up the
> > > innards of that machine and an Arc, I'd like to:
> > >
> > > (a) use a Fujitsu SCSI drive in place of the IBM _or_
> > > (b) use the SCSI podule in slot 1 (upper left looking from the front,
> > > i.e. over the econet socket)
> > >
> > > Can anyone confirm that (b) will not work - does the SCSI card have to
> > > be in slot 0 for RISC iX?
> > >
> > RISCiX System Administrators guide, page 101 states:
> >
> > 'Also note that the machine can only be booted into RISCiX from a SCS|
> > disc that is attached to a SCSI expansion card in logical slot 0'
> >
> I'd suspected as much from comments on the Unixboot module, but nice
> to have it from the manual, thanks.
>
> > From personal experience with RiscOS, I would always have a hard drive
> > configured as device 0 also.
> > I think if you have managed to partition it with the Acorn SCSI,
> > that the drive probably is hardware compatible.
> >
> > I have a 2 Gb IBM SCSI HD that does not work with the Acorn SCSI but
> > does with the Cumana SCSI.
> > I think anything older than 1 Gb is fairly certain to work.
> >
> Apart from not being seen by SCSIFS/Filer until after a SCSIDM probe,
> it does seem to work okay.  I might refit the ST506 to boot from and
> put SCSIDM in the boot sequence.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew

Hi,
    I would have thought it would be preferrable to use a scsi drive
unless you want to use the Scsi card  on another machine.

The only thing I can think of is some other modules interfering with
the working of the Scsi Filer
Do you have the drive jumpered for ID0? It would show up as Device 0
when you do *Devices if it is.
There is an improved version of SCSIFiler. You would have to softload it
in predesk. Dont know what it does better offhand.
I remove the rom and softload the required modules in predesk on mine.
It saves unplugging or loading modules you dont need.
But it is possible to get things loading in Predesk in the wrong sequence
and getting similar problems to what you are getting.
From memory you need to load the scsi stuff before anything else.

Cheers
--
Ronald May
0
Ronald May <ron.may@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message news:<d5b577f24c%ron.may@paradise.net.nz>...
> > Apart from not being seen by SCSIFS/Filer until after a SCSIDM probe,
> > it does seem to work okay.  I might refit the ST506 to boot from and
> > put SCSIDM in the boot sequence.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrew
>
> Hi,
>     I would have thought it would be preferrable to use a scsi drive
> unless you want to use the Scsi card on another machine.

It would be preferable, but if the SCSI drive I'd like to use can't be
accessed until softloading modules (which I'll have to try, or at
least an RMReinit) running SCSIDM I need a non-SCSI drive to do this.
I could use a floppy, I suppose.

> The only thing I can think of is some other modules interfering with
> the working of the Scsi Filer

On booting, the only modules are those in the OS3.1 ROMs, and the SCSI
card itself (version 1.05).  The only other podule fitted is an Ether1
with no modules on it.

> Do you have the drive jumpered for ID0? It would show up as Device 0
> when you do *Devices if it is.

I do and it does.

> There is an improved version of SCSIFiler. You would have to softload it
> in predesk. Dont know what it does better offhand.

I have that - AFAIK it just provides the "barchart" free space display
instead of the RISC OS2 style "Bytes free" and "Bytes used" text
display.

> I remove the rom and softload the required modules in predesk on mine.
> It saves unplugging or loading modules you dont need.
> But it is possible to get things loading in Predesk in the wrong sequence
> and getting similar problems to what you are getting.
> From memory you need to load the scsi stuff before anything else.

As noted above, I'd need something to softload these modules from - an
ST506 is the simple option as the R140 has the interface built-in.  It
just means an extra box for the SCSI drive which would have to be
external.

> Cheers

Thanks for the ideas - I must try *RMReinit to see if that gives it
the needed "kick".

Rgds,
Andrew
0
ajw99uk (550)
9/23/2004 7:59:04 AM
In message <5e20ee0e.0409222359.6b231e19@posting.google.com>
          ajw99uk@yahoo.co.uk (Andrew Wickham) wrote:

> Ronald May <ron.may@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message news:<d5b577f24c%ron.may@paradise.net.nz>...
> > > Apart from not being seen by SCSIFS/Filer until after a SCSIDM probe,
> > > it does seem to work okay.  I might refit the ST506 to boot from and
> > > put SCSIDM in the boot sequence.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Andrew
> >
> > Hi,
> >     I would have thought it would be preferrable to use a scsi drive
> > unless you want to use the Scsi card on another machine.
>
> It would be preferable, but if the SCSI drive I'd like to use can't be
> accessed until softloading modules (which I'll have to try, or at
> least an RMReinit) running SCSIDM I need a non-SCSI drive to do this.
> I could use a floppy, I suppose.
> >
> > The only thing I can think of is some other modules interfering with
> > the working of the Scsi Filer
>
> On booting, the only modules are those in the OS3.1 ROMs, and the SCSI
> card itself (version 1.05).  The only other podule fitted is an Ether1
> with no modules on it.
>
> > Do you have the drive jumpered for ID0? It would show up as Device 0
> > when you do *Devices if it is.
>
> I do and it does.
>
> > There is an improved version of SCSIFiler. You would have to softload it
> > in predesk. Dont know what it does better offhand.
>
> I have that - AFAIK it just provides the "barchart" free space display
> instead of the RISC OS2 style "Bytes free" and "Bytes used" text
> display.
>
> > I remove the rom and softload the required modules in predesk on mine.
> > It saves unplugging or loading modules you dont need.
> > But it is possible to get things loading in Predesk in the wrong sequence
> > and getting similar problems to what you are getting.
> > From memory you need to load the scsi stuff before anything else.
>
> As noted above, I'd need something to softload these modules from - an
> ST506 is the simple option as the R140 has the interface built-in.  It
> just means an extra box for the SCSI drive which would have to be
> external.
> >
> > Cheers
>
> Thanks for the ideas - I must try *RMReinit to see if that gives it
> the needed "kick".
>
> Rgds,
> Andrew

Hi, yes, you really want to use the rom if you are booting from SCSI.
I dont think you need *Configure FileSystem SCSIFS until you want it to
run !Boot. from the SCSI drive.
You would have to configure the System settings to one SCSI disc for the
filer to find the drive though.

The 'new' scsifiler I use was part of an Acorn Scsi partitioning program.
It is capable of using the next partition that would be used for RisciX
as a second RISC OS partition.
The trick to get it working was to leave a space between the two partitions
when making them with SCSIDM. Continous usage of the disk area didn't let
the filer find the second partition for some reason.
I'm just throwing in more idea's here, but maybe the SCSIDM usage could be
at fault.
If you have had another SCSI drive working OK it sort of looks like the
partition not being made in a way it can be recognised by the SCSIFS

I guess if you can just start with a plain Acorn partition of up to 512Mb
and have it working would be a good start.

Cheers
--
Ronald May

0
ron.may (20)

For sale: games for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k) & IBM PC (5.25" & 3.5" & CD)
I have many old games, on 5.25" & 3.5" & CD for PC and on tapes for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k). I need to sell some of them. Would you like to buy any? I have bank accounts in the U.K.; the Republic of Ireland; Sweden; Germany; the Netherlands and Italy, so I can accept payment in a number of currencies and in a number of ways. I live at 2461 Via Tosco Romagnola, Titignano, 56023 Cascina (PI), Italy. Send me an email or a lett...

FS: Misc Acorn (and non-Acorn) hardware
Like Peter Naulls yesterday, I'm trying to get rid of my remaining Risc PC and the related hardware. I've put them on eBay. The Acorn-specific items are: Acorn Risc PC StrongARM 233 MHz + Power-tec SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202188067 i-cubed EtherLan600 for Acorn Risc PC/A7000 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202186713 Acorn Risc PC power supply, backplane and screws http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202185817 RISC OS Select http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202184767 STD PS2Mouse for Acorn Risc PC http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202183392 Acorn MEU + Plextor PlexWriter RW 4220 internal SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202182624 Graphic tablet PaintPal Deluxe http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202181086 The rest is not Acorn-specific but was connected to either a Risc PC or a Iyonix and therefore may be of interest here as well: Mitsumi FA402M 3.5" Floppy and 7in1 Media Drive http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202179719 Sony 3.5" Floppy MPF 920 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202177159 ELSA MicroLink ISDN 4U Router/Hub http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5777800061 Iomega ZIP 100 Drive external SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202173954 HP ScanJet 3c SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...

Wanted: Acorn/RISC OS Browser & Mail Client Recommendations for RISC PC
Does anyone know if either Firefox 2 or Pluto will run - albeit somewhat slowly - on a RISC PC with RISC OS 6? Will Firefox 2 or Pluto function on pre-RISC OS 6 platforms? If the answer is 'no' to all the above then what Acorn/RISC OS Browsers & Mail Clients are recommended for use on the RISC PC? At the moment I am using NetSurf 1v1 and have no mail client ... the formatting of some web-pages by NetSurf leaves a lot to be desired - including the comp.sys.acorn.misc discussion listings ... I am currently using a Kinetic RISC OS 4.37/RISC OS Select 3i3 (11 Aug 2003) RISC PC. ...

Best Acorn to start playing with Risc OS?
I've been offered a choice between an A5000, A4000, 310 and 410/1 machine to play with. I don't know anything about Acorns, which should I take and how good is it? Simon Simon <flibble@gmail.com> writes: > I've been offered a choice between an A5000, A4000, 310 and 410/1 > machine to play with. I don't know anything about Acorns, which should I > take and how good is it? In terms of capability, the A5000 is far better than the alternatives you mention, and there is no particular reason for sticking with one of the others (except, perhaps, cost). So go for that one. Torben In article <77LUc.365$T51.61@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Simon <flibble@gmail.com> wrote: > I've been offered a choice between an A5000, A4000, 310 and 410/1 > machine to play with. I don't know anything about Acorns, which should > I take and how good is it? As mentioned, the A5000 will be the most powerful/flexible of the lot, but as for "how good is it", it depends what you want to use it for. Depending on whether it comes with 2, 4, or 8MB RAM (4 being the most likely) an A5000 will do you well for DTP and word processing using Ovation or Impression. You may get by with internet access using Socketeer and Netsurf but memory will be tight. MP3s are out of the question, though I have an old copy of StupidPlayer which claims to be able to *just* about play low-bitrate MP3s in realtime on an A5000. If you like RISC OS you may...

FS: CDRW/DVD Drives, SCSI/IDE Hard Drives, & SCSI Controllers
NOTE: I can meet with you if you're in the Austin area; otherwise, shipping & handling will cost a flat rate of $10.00 for UPS Ground. CDRW DRIVE: HP 2X/6X CDRW IDE Drive Model #: C4380-45000. Asking $5.00 To see a pic of the drive: http://www.ccci.net/ForSale/HP_CDRW.JPG (Sorry, not the greatest photo I've taken!) DVD DRIVE: Pioneer 10X DVD IDE Drive Model #: DVD-104S. Asking $20.00 Here's the same drive on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3754&item=5141741393&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW To see a pic of the drive: http://ww...

Copy files from Acorn Risc Hard Drive to PC ?
I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector in a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? Thanks for any help. Regards In message <Xns9AB8B56D879FCisissoft@193.202.122.104> Isis <isissoft@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote: > I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old > Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector in > a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? In outline, you'll either need to plug the drive into a RISC OS computer, or into a PC chassis running Linux, with an add-on to read the files. As far as I know you can't read them under Windows. (There might be something related to Red Squirrel/Virtual Acorn, but i suspect you'd need the emulator for that to work.) no doubt you'll get more precise/accurate answers soon. -- Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk http://www.nckc.org.uk/ On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:50:16 +0000, Isis wrote: > I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old > Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector > in a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? Windows does not support the file system that RISC OS, Acorn's operating system, uses - let along the par...

FS: Morley SCSI podule with Power-tec Power ROM & EZFlyer drive
I have for sale a Morley SCSI podule: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3090332849 and a Syquest EZFlyer drive and 10 discs: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4122888370 both came with my Risc PC when I bought it and work fine. I'm also selling WimpWorks v2: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3090342988 Thanks for your attention, John ...

Acorn Publisher / Acorn User / Qercus
By now some people should have received their copy of Qercus - ie issue 268 of Acorn User or vol 10 issue 1 of Acorn Publisher. The additional printing numbers and distribution is new to us so we're not sure how long it will take to get to all subscribers or to be available in the shops. Some bulk mailings to overseas customers may not go until next week. Our experience so far with the database we inherited from Tau Press is that some customers will receive duplicate copies of the magazine whilst others will not receive one at all. We have been working hard to put right as many errors as we could identify but we know there are still some problems remaining. If you receive an extra issue will you please let us know and tell us which reference numbers are on the two (three/four!) labels so that we can put it right for next time. Please don't return any copies - donate duplicates to a friend, library, dentist/doctor's waiting room &c If you don't receive your copy (UK) then please do not let us know until the middle of next week; we have arranged to do *another* sweep of the database after the SW Show and may have sorted out outstanding problems by the time you call. Whilst far-flung Acorn User subscribers should receive their copies faster than before they should give it an extra week at least before reporting non-receipt. For this occasion reminders have been sent separately from the magazine and should have already been received by UK subscribers who n...

FS: Acorn Risc PC (with RISC OS 4.29)
I am selling my Risc PC on EBay. From reading the FAQ it seems it's ok to advertise hardware on c.a.s.apps, hopefully no one objects. The machine is a good spec, and runs RISC 0S 4.29. It also has a really great software bundle, particularly if you are into graphics. A quick overview: Machine Spec Risc PC 600, RISC OS 4.29, StrongARM, 48MB RAM (44 free), 2MB VRAM, 6GB HDD, CD-ROM drive, Ethernet fitted. (Software highlights: TopModel2, Artworks, Composition (Compo), Photodesk, Studio 24 Pro, Impression Style, Writer, Easy C++, OmniClient, LanMan 98, ANT Internet Suite I & II, many games and other software) The link is: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&item=250018157895&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1 Apologies for the (slight) crosspost between here and apps. Thanks, Max ...

Qercus (Acorn User / Acorn Publisher) binders
The new Qercus binders will be available within 2 weeks and we're taking orders now. They are available in dark blue with the Qercus logo in gold on the spine. The binders will match previous Acorn Publisher binders but will hold 14 copies of the magazine so Qercus readers will have a spare string for notes and indexes whilst Acorn Publisher readers will have room for two years' issues including two annual special issues of Qercus. Qercus is well-worth collecting so order your binder today. Binders will cost 8.95 each inc UK postage and may (just) be available at Wakefield. Until the end of May new subscribers starting their subscription with issue 268, and ordering a binder at the same time, will receive their first issue free. ie UK subscription + binder = 49.95 + 8.95 = 58.90 for year's subscription from issue 269 with issue 268 free. Orders should be sent to "Finnybank Ltd" 30 Finnybank Road Sale M33 6LR or by phone to 0161 969 9820. Cheques or cards can be accepted. Binders and magazines will be despatched together as soon as the binders are available. -- John Cartmell editor Qercus - editor@qercus.com www.qercus.com Qercus: a fusion of Acorn Publisher & Acorn User magazines one magazine for graphics & design - one magazine for all RISC OS users Finnybank Ltd 30 Finnybank Rd Sale M33 6LR == 0161 969 9820 _______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.anno...

Acorn NC or Acorn NetStation, looking for one.
I am looking for an Acorn NC with ethernet interface! If someone has one, please let me know, and a reasonable price. Complete, with the remote and etc! Thanks! Leonardo leonardo@editek.com In message <1192995978.255456.168910@y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com> leonardo.cohen@gmail.com wrote: > I am looking for an Acorn NC with ethernet interface! If someone has > one, please let me know, and a reasonable price. Complete, with the > remote and etc! I shall be eBaying an NC with ethernet, but no remote, fairly shortly, possibly in the next few weeks. Alan -- RISC OS - you know it makes cents ...

Acorn SCSI formatter
Hello All I am looking for a HD formatting tool that will work with an Acorn AKA31 SCSI 1 Podule under RISC OS 3.1. Can anyone help? Regards Ian K In article <4d4f3edf60news@iank.org.uk>, Ian K (N) <URL:mailto:news@iank.org.uk> wrote: > Hello All > I am looking for a HD formatting tool that will work with an Acorn AKA31 > SCSI 1 Podule under RISC OS 3.1. Can anyone help? > > Regards > Ian K Eventually You should try the original Acorn tool ScsiDM. It is available here: acorn.riscos.com/riscos/releases . Bye, Sebastian ...

Non-RISC OS partitions on IDE/SCSI podules and counting RISC OS 5 discs
Can partitions used by operating systems[1] other than RISC OS, on discs attached to podules supporting partitions, be accessed as individual discs using the FileCore SWIs? All of them, or just some? Or failing that, can the whole disc be accessed? Also, how do I find all the drives on a RISC OS 5 system? On earlier versions of RISC OS I can find all the FileCore instances with OS_Module 12, then use FileCore_Drives to find the number of "floppies" and "hard discs", end then assume "floppies" are numbered from 0 and "hard discs" are numbered from 4....

Potential Wikipedia WikiProject RISC OS (WikiProject Computing
Why don't we further coordinate the Wikipedia articles related to RISC OS? It'd be quite a task but wouldn't require a great deal in the way of technical skills. There's a lot of knowledge and discussion around but unfortunately it doesn't all seem to make it onto Wikipedia. (Please note that I'm *not* suggesting that detailed wiki pages from riscos.info and the PRMs, etc. be migrated to Wikipedia!) I know that a good number of people contribute at some length to Wikipedia, and there are some concerted efforts to coordinate things. However, I'm sure there's st...

Creating a hard drive image
Hi, I have never seen this sort of hardware setup before (setup sun and ia servers before, worked with old hardware before, but never saw this setup). What this site has is a rack of boards, that sort of look like old mainframe multiplexer controller boards ... but htis one rack has a SPARC board that connects to a box above it, which holds an enclosed hard drive, about 20 gb. It reportedly (couldnt connect to it one day to run commands to see exactly what it has hardware and software wise) is running 5.7 SunOS under a WinXP OS. It reportedly has five 4gb partitions, one or more of which m...

FA: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor
For Auction on eBay: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor British Broadcasting Corporation Microcomputer System Processor: ARM 3 Memory: 8 MB Hard Disc: 350 MB Podules: Design IT E500 Access+ (Ethernet 10Base2) Oak SCSI Interface Watford Electronics Scanner Peripherals: 3-button mouse Original keyboard with extension cable Watford Electronics Hand Scanner Monitor: Acorn AKF50 with mains connection to A310 and 9/15 adapter. Slight superficial damage to monitor case. Used to be in daily use. Needed only fresh AA batteries (for CMOS RAM) to overcome a year of non-use. Buyer arranges collection. Payment: cash on collection <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acorn-Archimedes-A310_W0QQitemZ8804993118QQcategoryZ4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> -- * Sick of BT? Leave them and reduce your phone bill by up to half. * Want a spam-proof Usenet address? Visit www.invalid.org.uk or email me: postmaster at invalid dot org dot uk * (tim@invalid.org.uk is deleted - please use my valid address above) .... "Thy glass will show thee how thy beauties wear, thy dial how thy precious minutes waste" Sonnet 77 ...

FS: All manner of Acorn Hardware
Hi all I'm loosing my room at my parents, which means my collection of Acorn stuff has to go! This includes but is not limited to some of the following; A5000, standard, old college machine A3000, with external hard drive and a 5 1/4" floppy disc (this machine i love, grew up with it but have no where to put it), also has a network card RISC PC 700, another ex college one, works, think i might have put a strong arm and PC card in it. Acorn electron, with tapes and two power supplies Star dot matrix printer for the acorn, includes at least one ink ribbon All kinds of miscellaneous hard ware for a BBC b/master including; CUB monitor, various tape decks and modems, floppy drives Pile of Acorn User magazines (about 30 of) Bigger pile of manuals, probably in the region of 20 manuals and software packs Miscellaneous boxes of software on low density floppies See the following for piccies, this is not everything, and not everything pictured is available http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/vannystick/ Would prefer for the whole lot to go in one go but don't expect it, and I would like to see token gestures of cash for them. Not able to post at the moment, located on the Wirral but can also be collected from Liverpool with sufficient warning. Needs to go in the next two weeks, so offered here, then eBay, then the tip! I'd have thought ebay would be best as there has not been that much Acorn/RISC OS stuff on there for a while, so prices should be good. Also, if ...

Problems posting to acorn.hardware
Hi, I've posted a few things to acorn.hardware in the last few days but I was surprised to get no follow ups from the normal helpful people who contribute regularly. Checking on google.groups it doesn't look as if any of my posts have got through - I have a local copy whicy presumably gets added by MessengerPro. Is there any problem posting to this group at the moment? -- andrew.mcmullon@tesco.net In article <92d606294d.andy@andrew.mcmullon@tesco.net>, Andy McMullon <andrew.mcmullon@tesco.net> wrote: > Hi, > I've posted a few things to acorn.hardware in the last few days but I > was surprised to get no follow ups from the normal helpful people who > contribute regularly. > Checking on google.groups it doesn't look as if any of my posts have > got through - I have a local copy whicy presumably gets added by > MessengerPro. > Is there any problem posting to this group at the moment? Three items from you since Jan 2nd. (One of those was a repeat of an earlier query about KVM kit) Those items appeared OK. Maybe the people who could answer aren't around at the moment, winter sun holiday perhaps? Gone off to work in one of the countries around the Indian Ocean. Whatever. On 6 Jan 2005 Andy McMullon <andrew.mcmullon@tesco.net> wrote: > I've posted a few things to acorn.hardware in the last few days but I > was surprised to get no follow ups from the normal helpful people who > contribute regul...

FS: Misc Acorn hardware
i-cubed EtherLan 600: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101336155 IBM 586 (100 MHz) card: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101337088 RISC OS 3.50: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101348173 RISC OS 4.02: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101349126 Risc PC: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101360766 StrongARM card: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101361862 Texas Instruments 486-SLC (40 MHz): http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101363515 Everything in good, near perfect condition unless stated otherwise. I'm selling from Germany, but I'll deliver to UK as well. Oversea on request. Please get in touch for shipping cost in those cases. -- Stefan Bellon On 10 Jun, I wrote: > StrongARM card: > http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101361862 I announced this offer without RISC OS 3.70 ROMs because I didn't find the ones belonging to the card. In the meantime I have found them. This offer will include the RISC OS 3.70 ROM set. -- Stefan Bellon ...

Acorn I/O Podule questions
Hi, Does anyone know anything at all about the Acorn I/O podule at all? I've found a single eurocard width podule for sale which has 3 MIDI DINs and what appears to be an analogue and user port. Picture as below: http://www.infinitemonkeys.org.uk/acorn/iopodule.jpg Anyone know the following:- 1. Do they work ok in A5000s? 2. Can you use more than one? 3. Any ideas how to write and read data to the user port and analogue port using BASIC? Oh and fear my attempt to wire the house up to an A5000 :/ Wife's going to love me :/ Thanks all, -- Chris Smith http://www.infinitemonkeys.org.uk/ In article <pan.2003.08.09.00.42.56.511918@spammenot.infinitemonkeys.org.uk>, Chris Smith <chris@spammenot.infinitemonkeys.org.uk> wrote: > Anyone know the following:- > 1. Do they work ok in A5000s? Yes > 2. Can you use more than one? Don't think so but have never tried it > 3. Any ideas how to write and read data to the user port and analogue > port using BASIC? User Port uses Osbyte 150 and 151. There are some programs on my website which demonstrate the principle. To write &FF to Port B: SYS"Os_Byte",151,&60,&FF To read from Port B : SYS"OS_Byte",150, &60 TO ,,R2 The port behaves just like the user port in the BBC micro of yore. The Analogue port uses various Osbyte calls but I would have to get a book for more information. I think the old ADVAL keyword is also supported. Jochen -- -------...

Acorn SCSI and RO3.11
Yesterday I tried an Acorn SCSI card in an R140 (ARM3, MEMC1A and 4MB RAM on a board plugged into the MEMC and ARM2 sockets, to make up for duff m/b RAM). The machine was and is now again running RO3.11 and RISCiX with an ST506 disc. With the SCSI card and a single drive fitted in place of the ST506, on powering up I got a blank screen, but after several control-resets (holding reset in for 2-3 seconds) it would boot normally. My initial thought was that it might be a problem with the drive fittings in relation to the ARM3/memory board, but could not see any more physical conflict that would arise with the ST506 in place. The other possibility which springs to mind is power consumption - but a 1GB 1/3 height drive (IBM, 1994-5) cannot draw more than a modest fraction of the power of a half-height ST506, circa 1989, and the machine used to drive a network card as well. My third guess is timing conflicts between the Acorn SCSI and ARM3 (35MHz) - not quite sure why this would screw things up until a _hard_ reset but be fine thereafter (though I've not tried the SCSI drive extensively). Could I mitigate this by configuring cache off and turning it back on during !Boot? I'd like more space for X, and more filecore space (3MB is plenty for the bootstrap, but a bit limiting otherwise!), but if the problems are symptomatic of underlying conflicts, I'll leave well alone. Thanks in anticipation, Andrew ...

Acorns fall next to the tree [Acorn stuff on ebuy UK]
I usually don't surf Acorns, but I noticed some on ebuy. Acorn RiscOS 3.5 ROMs - no reserve Acorn 486 Co-processor card - no reserve Acorn Arm610 processor card - no reserve ...

Acorn / RISC OS Community
Issue 284 of Qercus/Acorn User will celebrate the 25th anniversary of Acorn User magazine. For that issue we will be including a roundup of those companies, groups, and individuals who are: supporting current development and support of RISC OS; or keeping archives about Acorn or RISC OS. How we present the information (in the magazine and in associated web support pages) depends on the response but we would like to cover a much wider range than that illustrated on the ROOL mousemat. If you develop, publish, retail, or support RISC OS products in any way then we would like to hear from you URGENTLY with: * Your current contact details (name, address, e-mail, telephone, web-site); * A short statement / advert describing what you cover - in under 100 words; * Your logo (if you have one) for company / main product NB in vector graphics form or at least 300dpi assuming reproduction in a frame 1" high. NB This means *you* (of course) if you are a major retailer, developer, &c but it also means clubs and groups, those who have exhibited at shows in (say) the last 10 years), those offering PD or shareware from websites, those offering general services but with a RISC OS link, those keeping web-sites with articles once published in Acorn / RISC OS magazines, those keeping web-sites with archive Acorn / RISC OS material, &c, &c Don't assume that we already know about you. Don't assume that you're not important enough. Don't assume that, be...

FA: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor #2
For Auction on eBay (Less than 20 hours to go): Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor British Broadcasting Corporation Microcomputer System Processor: ARM 3 Memory: 8 MB Hard Disc: 350 MB Podules: Design IT E500 Access+ (Ethernet 10Base2) Oak SCSI Interface Watford Electronics Scanner Peripherals: 3-button mouse Original keyboard with extension cable Watford Electronics Hand Scanner Monitor: Acorn AKF50 with mains connection to A310 and 9/15 adapter. Slight superficial damage to monitor case. Used to be in daily use. Needed only fresh AA batteries (for CMOS RAM) to overcome a year of non-use. Buyer arranges collection. Payment: cash on collection <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acorn-Archimedes-A310_W0QQitemZ8804993118QQcategoryZ4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> ...

Web resources about - Acorn SCSI & Fujitsu drive / best podule slot for RISC iX - comp.sys.acorn.hardware

Fujitsu Siemens Computers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fujitsu Siemens Computers GmbH was a Japanese and German IT vendor . The company was founded in 1999 as a 50/50 joint venture between Fujitsu ...

Fujitsu: IT and Business Services, IT Consulting, IT and Business Solutions
FUJITSU SERVICES IN AMERICA offers a complete range of IT Services and Products across multiple industries in both the Public and Private sectors. ...

C & C CONSTRUCTIONSLIMITED - c-tec - Fujitsu community for IT experts - LinkedIn
... professionals and join discussions. Use this directory to browse groups with names starting with C &amp; C CONSTRUCTIONSLIMITED - c-tec - Fujitsu ...

IN PICTURES: Fujitsu's 2012 notebook refresh
New addition consists of a new Ultrabook in the Lifebook U series

Australian start-up Cloud Lands signs Fujitsu deal to help SMEs reach cloud
... cloud services start-up aiming to challenge the likes of Amazon and Google for the small end of town has landed a major partnership with Fujitsu. ...

Fujitsu brings local Cloud to WA
Fujitsu is upgrading its Cloud services in Western Australia, adding a local Cloud platform node to the company’s Malaga data centre. The upgrade ...

Fujitsu Cloud creates the right buzz for Frucor
Rising costs, expansion plans and dissatisfaction with its current SAP server hosting provider has led ANZ energy drinks company Frucor to Fujitsu’s ...

Foreign Affairs and Trade signs CRM contract with Fujitsu
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has awarded an eight-year managed services contract to Fujitsu to provide a Microsoft customer ...

NBN - NBN Co - Telstra - IBM - Ericsson - Fujitsu - Nokia Siemens
As the awarding of NBN contracts ramps up, scrunity is now turning onto the execution of the project rather than its merits.

Review: Fujitsu ScanSnap iX100, a wireless ultra-compact portable scanner
... and driving license. One key aspect of living paperlessly is scanning any paper documents as soon as they arrive, which is done using a Fujitsu ...