BBC Micro B and Acorn Archimedes A400 (?) to PC file transfer

The problem: Lots of data from family history apps, View, Bbase etc on the
BBC B and Acorn Archimedes A400* needs to go onto a PC.
*The label on the front says A310, I'm pretty sure it got upgraded to an
A400 (*HELP COMMANDS shows most things being between May and Oct 1988).

All I have is a disk called PC Emulator and another called "Beebug Arhimedes
Serial Link" for the Archie (can't find the associated cable).

I found this: http://web.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink/home/software/65link/
but do I need it in light of having the serial link?

And what about getting the data from the Archie to the PC?

What about something that will allow my PC to read Archie disks directly? Or
perhaps a way of connecting the BBCB disk drives to the PC?
What about BBCB to PC? All the choices and software are starting to make my
head spin.

And as far as my soldering skills goes, about 1 in 3 of the cables I've made
works first time. So ideally, I wouldn't mind paying something reasonable
for a "pack" of all the bits and pieces to get all the data onto the PC.

Something else has just occured to me - what about a hard drive in the
Archie? It doesn't have one now, and I'm almost certain it wouldn't know
what to do with an old 2Gb PC ATA drive, but might that be a good "conduit"
between the three machines?

Oh, and the mouse on the Archie is nearly shagged, the ball seems to have no
grip despite my boiling it in hot water (which sometimes works). Any other
ideas on getting the ball to grip the axis rollers better?

Any help greatly appreciated. Going to be selling/donating the BBC and
Archie when data is copied.

On 11 Apr 2005 "Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem: Lots of data from family history apps, View, Bbase etc on the
> BBC B and Acorn Archimedes A400* needs to go onto a PC.
> *The label on the front says A310, I'm pretty sure it got upgraded to an
> A400 (*HELP COMMANDS shows most things being between May and Oct 1988).

That upgrade isn't possible. Is it RISC OS 2 or Arthur? i.e. does it boot to
a desktop with an grey background 'A' icon in the bottom right corner, or
a blue background or a BBC like '*' prompt?

> All I have is a disk called PC Emulator and another called "Beebug
> Arhimedes Serial Link" for the Archie (can't find the associated cable).
>
> I found this: http://web.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink/home/software/65link/
> but do I need it in light of having the serial link?

Thats the easiest way to get data from a BBC to an Archimedes, if you dont
have a 3.5" disc interface for the BBC.

> And what about getting the data from the Archie to the PC?

But there is JK's ZeriLink which can be used to transfer data between
Archimedes and PCs using a modified parallel cable.

> What about something that will allow my PC to read Archie disks directly?
> Or perhaps a way of connecting the BBCB disk drives to the PC?

Prior RISC OS 3 there is no native supoport for DOS formatted floppies,
although there are some 3rd party programs around. I dont remember any
programs for the BBC that allowed DOS format discs to be used.

> Something else has just occured to me - what about a hard drive in the
> Archie? It doesn't have one now, and I'm almost certain it wouldn't know
> what to do with an old 2Gb PC ATA drive, but might that be a good "conduit"
> between the three machines?

I'm afraid thats probably a non starter. The A310 didn't have a disc
interface, and required a 3rd party ST506 or later an IDE podule. A400s
had ST506 built it, which isn't compatible with any modern hard discs.

> Oh, and the mouse on the Archie is nearly shagged, the ball seems to have
> no  grip despite my boiling it in hot water (which sometimes works). Any
> other  ideas on getting the ball to grip the axis rollers better?

Some very thin rubber insulation sleves around the rollers?

Followups set to csa.networking.

P.S. When you reply, remember to interleve your response like I've done here,
     and dont just write at the top and leave the old message below.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
4/11/2005 4:51:17 PM
In article <425a839e$1_2@x-privat.org>,
   Jonathan <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem: Lots of data from family history apps, View, Bbase etc on
> the BBC B and Acorn Archimedes A400* needs to go onto a PC. *The label
> on the front says A310, I'm pretty sure it got upgraded to an A400
> (*HELP COMMANDS shows most things being between May and Oct 1988).

> All I have is a disk called PC Emulator and another called "Beebug
> Arhimedes Serial Link" for the Archie (can't find the associated cable).

Sounds as if your memory of an upgrade was the machine being upgraded from
Arthur to RISC OS 2.  If the machine starts up to a desktop with a large A
in the bottom right hand corner then is the case.

[Snip]

> What about something that will allow my PC to read Archie disks
> directly?

With RISC OS 2 it was possible to get third party utilities to read/write
MSDOS disks so if one of theses utilities can be sourced then that would
be a way forward.  If you have the PC emulator disk and it still works
then I seem to remember programs on it called putfile.exe and getfile.exe
whch allowed for transfer between Acorn and PC.

> perhaps a way of connecting the BBCB disk drives to the PC?

Should be possible, it is just a matter of getting a suitable connector
made up - though whether modern PCs can do this I have no idea!

> What about BBCB to PC?

There were programs that would allow BBCs to read/write MSDOS disks but
you needed to have an 80 track drive.  I hazily remember something called
Beebdos which I may still have stored away somewhere.  I'd go and look but
unfortuantely the relevant box (if it still exists) is still in store for
the next couple of months whilst I change homes!  Even so, you would need
to find and fit an 5.25" drive to your PC, not an easy option. (look at
the "BBC lives" link below).

Somewhere in my storage I have a Master 512 machine and associated disks -
this has a hardware MSDOS capability and was still working a couple of
years ago.  If you can hang about til I get the stuff out of store then
you would be welcome to borrow it - I did have a 3.5" disk drive for it
but I think that has gone so you would still be faced with a method of
getting stuff of the 5.25" disks onto the PC!

Best bet would probably be to make up a serial link to the Archie and
there must be someone out there with the knowledge on how to do this.  I
suggest this route as it might be easier to manipulate the data on the
Archie before passing it on to the PC.

Failing that you could go direct to the PC - take a look at "The BBC
lives!" site http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/bbc/ and more specifically at the page
http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/bbc/software.php3#transfer

> All the choices and software are starting to make my head spin.

> And as far as my soldering skills goes, about 1 in 3 of the cables I've
> made works first time. So ideally, I wouldn't mind paying something
> reasonable for a "pack" of all the bits and pieces to get all the data
> onto the PC.

John Kortinks' Zerilink would be good for the Archie/PC transfer but needs
RISC OS 3.1 or greater to run. Your best bet would be to find find one of
the packages that allowed RISC OS 2 machines to read/write PC disks.

Stop press! I have discovered what seems to be what you need to read/write
DOS disks on the Arcade site - !Dosfs.  No idea if it works with RO2 but
since its help file is dated 1990 it seems likely.  I will send it to you
and you can experiment.  Ah, you will need a RO2 version of !Sparkplug or
similar to get at it as it is an archive.

[Snip]

> Oh, and the mouse on the Archie is nearly shagged, the ball seems to
> have no grip despite my boiling it in hot water (which sometimes
> works). Any other ideas on getting the ball to grip the axis rollers
> better?

A rather crude method that I have used in extremis was to roughen the ball
with very fine sandpaper or glasspaper.

Cheers

Alan [Snip]

0
alan.calder (319)
4/11/2005 6:45:08 PM
"druck" <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote in message
> On 11 Apr 2005 "Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The problem: Lots of data from family history apps, View, Bbase etc on
>> the
>> BBC B and Acorn Archimedes A400* needs to go onto a PC.
>> *The label on the front says A310, I'm pretty sure it got upgraded to an
>> A400 (*HELP COMMANDS shows most things being between May and Oct 1988).
>
> That upgrade isn't possible. Is it RISC OS 2 or Arthur? i.e. does it boot
> a desktop with an grey background 'A' icon in the bottom right corner, or
> a blue background or a BBC like '*' prompt?

Grey background, "A" icon and palette in bottom right, just found book
called "400 series user guide", so somehow it got to that stage.

>> All I have is a disk called PC Emulator and another called "Beebug
>> Arhimedes Serial Link" for the Archie (can't find the associated cable).
>>
>> I found this:
>> http://web.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink/home/software/65link/
>> but do I need it in light of having the serial link?
>
> Thats the easiest way to get data from a BBC to an Archimedes, if you dont
> have a 3.5" disc interface for the BBC.

Not entirely clear WHICH is the easiest way!

>> And what about getting the data from the Archie to the PC?
>
> But there is JK's ZeriLink which can be used to transfer data between
> Archimedes and PCs using a modified parallel cable.

Right, so I think the idea would be:
65link from the BBC to the archie, then Zerilink from the Archie to the PC
(presumably lots quicker than the serial).
Don't even know what I'm going to do with the files once on the pc, but at
least it gives me breathing space.

Tell you what, if someone wants to give me an idea of the price of making me
a pack of the right cables and software to post I'd be grateful. Time is
short and there's a move looming! (Yes, I could download the software, but
insofar as the pc and archie don't seem to have compatible disk types, I'm
not entirely sure how I'd get the app onto the archie, unless I used the
serial link to setup and parralel link, but that would involve yet another
cable and my head hurts).

>> Oh, and the mouse on the Archie is nearly shagged, the ball seems to have
>> no  grip despite my boiling it in hot water (which sometimes works). Any
>> other  ideas on getting the ball to grip the axis rollers better?
>
> Some very thin rubber insulation sleves around the rollers?

Good plan.

> P.S. When you reply, remember to interleve your response like I've done
> here,
>     and dont just write at the top and leave the old message below.

Would I do anything else? :)

Many thanks for your help so far - it's been a while since I played with the
old Acorns, and much as I'd like to "get back into them" as the nostalgia
waves over me, I have to be a bit realistic about storage space in new home!

0
Jonathan
4/11/2005 6:51:59 PM
In article <425b6461$1_4@x-privat.org>,
   Jonathan <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:

[Snip]

> Right, so I think the idea would be:
> 65link from the BBC to the archie, then Zerilink from the Archie to the PC

Unfortunately Zerilink won't work on RISC OS 2, which is what you seem to
have.

Cheers

Alan
[Snip]

0
alan
4/12/2005 6:47:36 AM
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:47:36 +0100, alan.calder
<alan.calder@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <425b6461$1_4@x-privat.org>,
>   Jonathan <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>[Snip]
>
>> Right, so I think the idea would be:
>> 65link from the BBC to the archie, then Zerilink from the Archie to the PC
>
>Unfortunately Zerilink won't work on RISC OS 2, which is what you seem to
>have.

Not exactly. It's not been tested on RISC OS 2. It's
just that it's so far 'back' I can't be bothered to
check it for all my software.

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

0
John
4/12/2005 9:17:21 AM
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:51:59 +0100, "Jonathan"
<digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:

>[...]
>
>Tell you what, if someone wants to give me an idea of the price of making me
>a pack of the right cables and software to post I'd be grateful. Time is
>short and there's a move looming! (Yes, I could download the software, but
>insofar as the pc and archie don't seem to have compatible disk types, I'm
>not entirely sure how I'd get the app onto the archie, unless I used the
>serial link to setup and parralel link, but that would involve yet another
>cable and my head hurts).

It does doesn't it. ;-)

In any way, 65Link is available in tangible form from me
(check its homepage). Zerilink cables are best bought
from C.J.E. Micros (if they still do 'm), otherwise I
could probably be prodded.

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

0
John
4/12/2005 9:19:37 AM
In article <vd4n51p8tca2qtaugis5o30e6p0bq634v1@4ax.com>,
   John Kortink <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:47:36 +0100, alan.calder
> <alan.calder@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> >In article <425b6461$1_4@x-privat.org>,
> >   Jonathan <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >[Snip]
> >
> >> Right, so I think the idea would be:
> >> 65link from the BBC to the archie, then Zerilink from the Archie to the PC
> >
> >Unfortunately Zerilink won't work on RISC OS 2, which is what you seem to
> >have.

> Not exactly. It's not been tested on RISC OS 2. It's
> just that it's so far 'back' I can't be bothered to
> check it for all my software.

Thanks for the correction, John.  So I suppose it would be worth a try.

Cheers

Alan

0
alan
4/12/2005 9:32:00 AM
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:32:00 +0100, alan.calder
<alan.calder@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <vd4n51p8tca2qtaugis5o30e6p0bq634v1@4ax.com>,
>   John Kortink <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>> >Unfortunately Zerilink won't work on RISC OS 2, which is what you seem to
>> >have.
>
>> Not exactly. It's not been tested on RISC OS 2. It's
>> just that it's so far 'back' I can't be bothered to
>> check it for all my software.
>
>Thanks for the correction, John.  So I suppose it would be worth a try.

I've had a closer look, and unfortunately, as it stands,
it isn't. I use quite ordinary SWIs throughout (well, it
would, since all it does is file access and peek and poke
the parallel port), except for one (a Territory_xxx call)
which is implemented by a module introduced in RISC OS 3.

:-(

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

0
John
4/12/2005 9:45:30 AM
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:45:30 +0200, John Kortink
<kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:

>I've had a closer look, and unfortunately, as it stands,
>it isn't. I use quite ordinary SWIs throughout (well, it
>would, since all it does is file access and peek and poke
>the parallel port), except for one (a Territory_xxx call)
>which is implemented by a module introduced in RISC OS 3.

On second thought, it is worth a try after all, since the
Territory call is only used in DOS-to-RISC OS transfers,
and the object is to do transfers the other way around.

So it probably will work in this case, under RISC OS 2,
after all.

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

0
John
4/12/2005 9:53:30 AM
druck wrote:
> On 11 Apr 2005 "Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> And what about getting the data from the Archie to the PC?
>
> But there is JK's ZeriLink which can be used to transfer data between
> Archimedes and PCs using a modified parallel cable.

I thought this would need a bi-directional parallel port
(which an A310 or A400 doesn't have, of course),
but perhaps not for one-way transfers?

> > What about something that will allow my PC to read Archie disks
directly?

arcimage - http://knowbody.org.uk/arcimage/

Redsquirrel and Archie can use floppy images -
so you could use the RISC OS applications as well as the data!

Rgds,
Andrew

ps apologies in advance to Druck for Google-mangled formatting !-)

0
Andrew
4/12/2005 10:28:48 AM
On 12 Apr 2005 03:28:48 -0700, "Andrew Wickham" <ajw99uk@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>druck wrote:
>> On 11 Apr 2005 "Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>[snip]
>>
>> And what about getting the data from the Archie to the PC?
>>
>> But there is JK's ZeriLink which can be used to transfer data between
>> Archimedes and PCs using a modified parallel cable.
>
>I thought this would need a bi-directional parallel port
>(which an A310 or A400 doesn't have, of course),
>but perhaps not for one-way transfers?

You're right, I missed that detail as well. No, it won't
work on an A400.

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

0
John
4/12/2005 10:45:07 AM
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:56:21 +0100, "Jonathan"
<digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:

>The problem: Lots of data from family history apps, View, Bbase etc on the
>BBC B and Acorn Archimedes A400* needs to go onto a PC.
>*The label on the front says A310, I'm pretty sure it got upgraded to an
>A400 (*HELP COMMANDS shows most things being between May and Oct 1988).
>
>All I have is a disk called PC Emulator and another called "Beebug Arhimedes
>Serial Link" for the Archie (can't find the associated cable).
>
>I found this: http://web.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink/home/software/65link/
>but do I need it in light of having the serial link?

Won't work on an A300/400 series machine.

>And what about getting the data from the Archie to the PC?
>
>What about something that will allow my PC to read Archie disks directly? Or
>perhaps a way of connecting the BBCB disk drives to the PC?
>What about BBCB to PC? All the choices and software are starting to make my
>head spin.

BBC to PC is doable with Sprow's DOSFS (would require a
lot of file copying by hand though).

BBC to PC is doable as well with GoMMC (altough this will
set you back a bit) : it can copy entire BBC discs straight
to an MMC, and the disc images can then be extracted from
the MMC on a PC running Windows XP.

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

0
kortink (350)
4/12/2005 10:50:28 AM
In article <1113301728.492879.93450@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
   Andrew Wickham <ajw99uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> > On 11 Apr 2005 "Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:

[Snip]

> >  What about something that will allow my PC to read Archie disks
> > directly?

> arcimage - http://knowbody.org.uk/arcimage/

A caveat here that it doesn't yet work with Windows XP, or so the page
says.  Depends what Jonathan is using on his PC.

> Redsquirrel and Archie can use floppy images -
> so you could use the RISC OS applications as well as the data!

Jonathan could get Virtual Acorn and enjoy a proper RISC OS experience on
his PC, depends how much the data is worth to him and how much he needs the
RISC OS experience.

Cheers

Alan

0
alan
4/12/2005 11:00:31 AM
"John Kortink" <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote in message

> BBC to PC is doable with Sprow's DOSFS (would require a
> lot of file copying by hand though).

I'm assuming you mean "Archie to PC" here! I saw your mail about formatting
new DD disks to be able to read them on the archie, but my PC doesn't seem
to want to read ANY Archie disks.

> BBC to PC is doable as well with GoMMC (altough this will
> set you back a bit) : it can copy entire BBC discs straight
> to an MMC, and the disc images can then be extracted from
> the MMC on a PC running Windows XP.

Looks exactly what I need. Anyone selling a second hand one of these?! Might
just splash the cash anyway.
Now, if there was something similar for the Archie, that would be even
better - something that would store disks to a mutually comatible device.
Hmmm...I wonder if there is a "serial to usb storage device" thing, and if
there is, how I'd shove the contents out of the disk onto the serial port in
the way that such a device would work....

Anyway, many many thanks for all the help and advice so far.

In article <425e1154@x-privat.org>,
   Jonathan <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
> "John Kortink" <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote in message

> > BBC to PC is doable with Sprow's DOSFS (would require a lot of file
> > copying by hand though).

> I'm assuming you mean "Archie to PC" here!

No, John does mean BBC to PC - see
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rpsprowson/products/

> I saw your mail about formatting new DD disks to be able to read them
> on the archie, but my PC doesn't seem to want to read ANY Archie disks.

I think I sent you an email about formatting disks for use Archie/PC.
Unsure what you mean by "my PC doesn't seem to want to read ANY Archie
disks".  Presumably you have formatted the disk to 720k on the pc so it
should be able to read its own disk?  Can the Archie then read the disk,
with an appropriate bit of software in use, and write files to it?  What
happens when you take the disk back to the PC?  Does it see files on the
disk?

It is worth remembering to Dismount the disk before removing it from the
Archie to close any open files.  Shouldn't be a problem normally for the
purpose you are putting it to though, so long as you don't alter the disk
contents at the PC end.

Cheers

Alan
[Snip]

0
alan.calder (319)
4/14/2005 7:33:46 AM
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:40:59 +0100, "Jonathan"
<digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:

>"John Kortink" <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote in message
>
>> BBC to PC is doable with Sprow's DOSFS (would require a
>> lot of file copying by hand though).
>
>I'm assuming you mean "Archie to PC" here!

No, BBC to PC. DOSFS enables BBCs to read/write PC formatted
floppies.

>I saw your mail about formatting new DD disks to be able to
>read them on the archie, but my PC doesn't seem to want to
>read ANY Archie disks.
>
>> BBC to PC is doable as well with GoMMC (altough this will
>> set you back a bit) : it can copy entire BBC discs straight
>> to an MMC, and the disc images can then be extracted from
>> the MMC on a PC running Windows XP.
>
>Looks exactly what I need. Anyone selling a second hand one of these?! Might
>just splash the cash anyway.

Why a second hand one ? I still sell brand new ones.

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

0
kortink (350)
4/14/2005 8:14:24 AM
alan.calder wrote:
> In article <425a839e$1_2@x-privat.org>,
>    Jonathan <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>The problem: Lots of data from family history apps, View, Bbase etc on
>>the BBC B and Acorn Archimedes A400* needs to go onto a PC. *The label
>>on the front says A310, I'm pretty sure it got upgraded to an A400
>>(*HELP COMMANDS shows most things being between May and Oct 1988).
>

>>All I have is a disk called PC Emulator and another called "Beebug
>>Arhimedes Serial Link" for the Archie (can't find the associated cable).
>

> Sounds as if your memory of an upgrade was the machine being upgraded from
> Arthur to RISC OS 2.  If the machine starts up to a desktop with a large A
> in the bottom right hand corner then is the case.
>
> [Snip]
>

>>What about something that will allow my PC to read Archie disks
>>directly?
>

> With RISC OS 2 it was possible to get third party utilities to read/write
> MSDOS disks so if one of theses utilities can be sourced then that would
> be a way forward.  If you have the PC emulator disk and it still works
> then I seem to remember programs on it called putfile.exe and getfile.exe
> whch allowed for transfer between Acorn and PC.

The program to allow an Archie to read Pc discs is called !Pcdir and I
can email you a copy or if required post one on 800K ADFS floppy.
Peter
In article <8h4n519ss7otfkpfn91dfroq17lauv1krn@4ax.com>, John Kortink
<URL:mailto:kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:51:59 +0100, "Jonathan"
> <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >[...]
> >
> >Tell you what, if someone wants to give me an idea of the price of making me
> >a pack of the right cables and software to post I'd be grateful. Time is
> >short and there's a move looming! (Yes, I could download the software, but
> >insofar as the pc and archie don't seem to have compatible disk types, I'm
> >not entirely sure how I'd get the app onto the archie, unless I used the
> >serial link to setup and parralel link, but that would involve yet another
> >cable and my head hurts).
>
> It does doesn't it. ;-)
>
> In any way, 65Link is available in tangible form from me
> (check its homepage). Zerilink cables are best bought
> from C.J.E. Micros (if they still do 'm),

Yep! In stock 2M - 12M lengths:-)

Chris Evans

--
CJE Micro's / 4D                'RISC OS Specialists'
Telephone: 01903 523222             Fax: 01903 523679

0
Chris
4/14/2005 11:58:54 AM

> No, BBC to PC. DOSFS enables BBCs to read/write PC formatted
> floppies.

All I need to do is find a compatible 3.5" disk module for the BBC now -
will work on that later.

> Why a second hand one [MMC] ? I still sell brand new ones.

OK, will try other methods, then MMC - which doesn't seem THAT expensive
compared to lost data!

In article <425ea48a@x-privat.org>,
   Jonathan <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
> "John Kortink" <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote in message

> > No, BBC to PC. DOSFS enables BBCs to read/write PC formatted
> > floppies.

> All I need to do is find a compatible 3.5" disk module for the BBC now -
> will work on that later.

I have a interface that will allow any powered BBC disc drive to be
plugged into a Archie. I would be happy to loan this to you if you want.

Regards
Ian K

0
Ian
4/14/2005 7:46:12 PM
In article <425ea48a@x-privat.org>,
   Jonathan <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
> "John Kortink" <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote in message

> > No, BBC to PC. DOSFS enables BBCs to read/write PC formatted
> > floppies.

> All I need to do is find a compatible 3.5" disk module for the BBC now -
> will work on that later.

If you have ADFS in your beeb this will work but DFS only worked with 5.25"
disks :-(

You might do better trying to connect a 5.25" drive to your PC, assuming
that Windows still recognises them - 80 track drives could get 1.2mb onto a
disk on Dos as I remember.

Cheers

Alan
[Snip]

0
alan.calder (319)
4/14/2005 8:29:58 PM
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:29:58 +0100, alan.calder
<alan.calder@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <425ea48a@x-privat.org>,
>   Jonathan <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "John Kortink" <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote in message
>
>> > No, BBC to PC. DOSFS enables BBCs to read/write PC formatted
>> > floppies.
>
>> All I need to do is find a compatible 3.5" disk module for the BBC now -
>> will work on that later.
>
>If you have ADFS in your beeb this will work but DFS only worked with 5.25"
>disks :-(

No, it did/does work with 3.5" drives. But possibly not all
of them. You'll just end up with 400K on a 3.5" floppy, that's
all.

>You might do better trying to connect a 5.25" drive to your PC, assuming
>that Windows still recognises them - 80 track drives could get 1.2mb onto a
>disk on Dos as I remember.

Or, as somebody else suggested, connect it to the Archimedes.
There's just an issue with the drive's RDY line if I remember
correctly, and there have been interfaces that fix just that.

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

0
kortink (350)
4/14/2005 9:43:15 PM
In article <loot51pf90gf6fejo8gubu2r5t77ptkb6a@4ax.com>,
   John Kortink <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:29:58 +0100, alan.calder
> <alan.calder@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> >In article <425ea48a@x-privat.org>, Jonathan <digitaltoast@gmail.com>
> >   wrote:
> >> "John Kortink" <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote in message

> >> All I need to do is find a compatible 3.5" disk module for the BBC
> >> now - will work on that later.
> >
> >If you have ADFS in your beeb this will work but DFS only worked with
> >5.25" disks :-(

> No, it did/does work with 3.5" drives. But possibly not all
> of them. You'll just end up with 400K on a 3.5" floppy, that's
> all.

I bow to your greater knowledge!  Must admit that I never tried it with
DFS, just assumed that it didn't work.  What size Dos disk would this be
though and would a pc recognise it?  Of course Jonathan could use it to
transfer to the Archimedes and then onwards.

> >You might do better trying to connect a 5.25" drive to your PC,
> >assuming that Windows still recognises them - 80 track drives could get
> >1.2mb onto a disk on Dos as I remember.

> Or, as somebody else suggested, connect it to the Archimedes. There's
> just an issue with the drive's RDY line if I remember correctly, and
> there have been interfaces that fix just that.

Yep, I used to have one from Beebug.  Might still be buried somewhere but
no idea and I'm not going looking!

Cheers

Alan

0
alan.calder (319)
4/14/2005 10:24:00 PM
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:24:00 +0100, alan.calder
<alan.calder@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <loot51pf90gf6fejo8gubu2r5t77ptkb6a@4ax.com>,
>   John Kortink <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:29:58 +0100, alan.calder
>> <alan.calder@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>> >If you have ADFS in your beeb this will work but DFS only worked with
>> >5.25" disks :-(
>
>> No, it did/does work with 3.5" drives. But possibly not all
>> of them. You'll just end up with 400K on a 3.5" floppy, that's
>> all.
>
>I bow to your greater knowledge!  Must admit that I never tried it with
>DFS, just assumed that it didn't work.  What size Dos disk would this be
>though and would a pc recognise it?

DOS disks can't be handled natively, of course.
But that's where DOSFS could step in (it does
need a 1770 type controller). See :

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rpsprowson/bbc/dosfs.htm

And then there's a need to :

- Choosing the right floppy drive (an 'old' double density
  one is probably best)
- Using the right floppies (less critical presumably, e.g.
  high density discs will probably accept double density
  formatting)

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

0
kortink (350)
4/14/2005 10:30:37 PM
On 14 Apr 2005 alan.calder <alan.calder@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> I bow to your greater knowledge!  Must admit that I never tried it with
> DFS, just assumed that it didn't work.  What size Dos disk would this be
> though and would a pc recognise it?  Of course Jonathan could use it to
> transfer to the Archimedes and then onwards.

The DOS size for single density discs would be 360K.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
4/14/2005 10:48:02 PM
In article <hdrt5196eq0f2rchhu8s610bk24e30f0ih@4ax.com>,
   John Kortink <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:

[Snip]

> >> No, it did/does work with 3.5" drives. But possibly not all
> >> of them. You'll just end up with 400K on a 3.5" floppy, that's
> >> all.
> >
> >I bow to your greater knowledge!  Must admit that I never tried it with
> >DFS, just assumed that it didn't work.  What size Dos disk would this be
> >though and would a pc recognise it?

> DOS disks can't be handled natively, of course.
> But that's where DOSFS could step in (it does
> need a 1770 type controller). See :

> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rpsprowson/bbc/dosfs.htm

Of course, silly me!  Brain became disengaged.  A dos 720k disk would be
just fine.

Cheers

Alan

[Snip]

0
alan.calder (319)
4/14/2005 11:16:42 PM
In article <9d63b05b4d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>,
   druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2005 alan.calder <alan.calder@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > I bow to your greater knowledge!  Must admit that I never tried it with
> > DFS, just assumed that it didn't work.  What size Dos disk would this be
> > though and would a pc recognise it?  Of course Jonathan could use it to
> > transfer to the Archimedes and then onwards.

> The DOS size for single density discs would be 360K.

Presumably not on 3.5" disks though?  I allowed myself to get confused by
this - would a modern pc accept a 3.5" disk formatted to 360k?

In practice a standard 720k dd format is what Dosfs can produce and that
will do fine.

Cheers

Alan

0
alan.calder (319)
4/14/2005 11:20:01 PM
On 15 Apr 2005 alan.calder <alan.calder@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <9d63b05b4d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>,
>    druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On 14 Apr 2005 alan.calder <alan.calder@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I bow to your greater knowledge!  Must admit that I never tried it with
>>> DFS, just assumed that it didn't work.  What size Dos disk would this be
>>> though and would a pc recognise it?  Of course Jonathan could use it to
>>> transfer to the Archimedes and then onwards.
>
>> The DOS size for single density discs would be 360K.
>
> Presumably not on 3.5" disks though?

Generally all 3.5" drives were double density so could handle 720K DOS, where
as 5.25" went from single to double to high density (although they only got
1.2MB compared to 1.44MB for 3.5" in HD).

> I allowed myself to get confused by
> this - would a modern pc accept a 3.5" disk formatted to 360k?

I suspect a lot of modern hardware doesn't support single density. The option
is still there on the Iyonix to format in DOS 360K, but I haven't tried it.

> In practice a standard 720k dd format is what Dosfs can produce and that
> will do fine.

Should do.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
4/14/2005 11:29:37 PM
alan.calder wrote:
> In article <loot51pf90gf6fejo8gubu2r5t77ptkb6a@4ax.com>,
>    John Kortink <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:
> > Or, as somebody else suggested, connect it to the Archimedes.
There's
> > just an issue with the drive's RDY line if I remember correctly,
and
> > there have been interfaces that fix just that.
>
> Yep, I used to have one from Beebug.  Might still be buried somewhere
but
> no idea and I'm not going looking!

Ditto, except I know where mine is!  Email if it would help.

Rgds,
Andrew

0
ajw99uk (550)
4/15/2005 4:12:27 PM
In message <4d5a0ea27aalan.calder@argonet.co.uk>
          alan.calder <alan.calder@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>> What about something that will allow my PC to read Archie disks
>> directly?

> With RISC OS 2 it was possible to get third party utilities to read/write
> MSDOS disks so if one of theses utilities can be sourced then that would
> be a way forward.

MultiFS for the Acorn Archimedes...  It's amazing what junk I have here.

If the OP wants it he's welcome to it, but I've no idea if the disc's
still readable, and no intention of finding out as scraping shed oxide
from my floppy drive's heads is far from being my favourite pastime.

Chris
0
chrism (136)
4/22/2005 11:26:04 AM
You know, it just occurred to me that I might be doing this the long way and
going round in circles - ALL I want to do is get some files off some BBC and
Archie disks.
Why don't I try and connect the drives to the PC?
I've tried connecting the archie floppy "in situ" (using archie power supply
with cable to PC) and I can make the drive "click" when I click on "A", but
says there's no disk.
With the cable the other way round, I just get the activity LED on all the
time.
I guess it's the controller on the PC.
Then again, I found this:
http://www.stairwaytohell.com/articles/RETROBBC-FDCCOM.html
which seems to allow a PC to read 5.25" BBC disks.
SO.....is there something similar for 3.5" disks?

All this "connect this to this if you have this version in A and this
version in B and the ADFS and your fridge happens to have some cheese in it,
then it might work" is helpful, but I could spend days, and time is running
out. I'm willing to pay if someone can send me a floppy, the software and
the cables just so I can get my stuff off the old discs.

Jonathan wrote:
> You know, it just occurred to me that I might be doing this the long way and
> going round in circles - ALL I want to do is get some files off some BBC and
> Archie disks.
> Why don't I try and connect the drives to the PC?
> I've tried connecting the archie floppy "in situ" (using archie power supply
> with cable to PC) and I can make the drive "click" when I click on "A", but
> says there's no disk.
> With the cable the other way round, I just get the activity LED on all the
> time.
> I guess it's the controller on the PC.
> Then again, I found this:
> http://www.stairwaytohell.com/articles/RETROBBC-FDCCOM.html
> which seems to allow a PC to read 5.25" BBC disks.
> SO.....is there something similar for 3.5" disks?
>
> All this "connect this to this if you have this version in A and this
> version in B and the ADFS and your fridge happens to have some cheese in it,
> then it might work" is helpful, but I could spend days, and time is running
> out. I'm willing to pay if someone can send me a floppy, the software and
> the cables just so I can get my stuff off the old discs.

Hi Jonathan,

I've missed the begining of this thread so my apologies if I go over old
ground.

I have got data between BBC, RPC, Arc and PC a number of ways (I'm
assuming you don't have networking);

1. Serial cable between PC and BBC.
2. Serial cable between BBC and RPC.
3. Serial cable between Arc and RPC.
4. Dual 5.25" / 3.5" FDDs attached to BBC (then read disks directly on RPC)
5. Using OmniFlop/OmniDisk/Anadisk on the PC.

How many disks do you have that need transfering? If not too many, and
you are desperate, and you want to send them to me, I could do it for you.

If you would like more detailed info feel free to email me privately.

Regards,
Mike.
--
Mike Howard			aixguru_at_blueyonder_dot_co_dot_uk
Eccleston

0
e630193 (33)
5/4/2005 4:35:15 PM
"Mike Howard" <e630193@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have got data between BBC, RPC, Arc and PC a number of ways (I'm
> assuming you don't have networking);
>
> 1. Serial cable between PC and BBC.
> 2. Serial cable between BBC and RPC.
> 3. Serial cable between Arc and RPC.
> 4. Dual 5.25" / 3.5" FDDs attached to BBC (then read disks directly on
> RPC)

What's an RPC? I've got it down as either something to do with XML, or a
"remote procedure call"!

> 5. Using OmniFlop/OmniDisk/Anadisk on the PC.

Tried all of the above! Just got:
------------------------------
Archimedes disk image program for PC
Version 1.1 - Jasper Renow-Clarke 1997,99 (jasperr@osl1.co.uk)
Not an Archimedes disk
No disk in drive A
------------------------------

or "the disk is unreadable" from anadisk, or "format now?" from Omniflop!
Might try on an older win98 pc, but I think the serial cable is the way
forward now.
Off to maplins to get the bits mentioned here:
http://www.atherton.org.au/training/items/2003/7/00056-upload-00001.pdf - is
there an even clearer version?

> How many disks do you have that need transfering? If not too many, and you
> are desperate, and you want to send them to me, I could do it for you.

LOADS! About 45 from each system. I'm sure I can do this, it's just doing my
head in a bit!

For anyone who cares, here are the best of the bookmarks I have built up in
my travels - I have read every single site, and still not much the wiser!
Bookmarks: http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/bookmarks/bbc.xml

On Thu, 05 May 2005 12:45:39 +0100, Jonathan wrote:

> "Mike Howard" <e630193@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I have got data between BBC, RPC, Arc and PC a number of ways (I'm
>> assuming you don't have networking);
>>
>> 1. Serial cable between PC and BBC.
>> 2. Serial cable between BBC and RPC.
>> 3. Serial cable between Arc and RPC.
>> 4. Dual 5.25" / 3.5" FDDs attached to BBC (then read disks directly on
>> RPC)
>
> What's an RPC? I've got it down as either something to do with XML, or a
> "remote procedure call"!

Heh, I always associate it with the latter, too. It's also a common
abbreviation on this group for RiscPC though...  (meanwhile to me 'Arc' is
always an ancient archive format...)

Personally I've never had a PC that has a floppy controller that'll handle
BBC disks; that's with trying on about 8 different machines now. Others
have been far luckier.

I have made up a serial cable between the BBC and a PC before and used
xfer to transfer data; it's slow as all hell (hardware issues - the xfer
software is very good) but it works very nicely otherwise.

Something a bit quicker would be useful I suppose (1MHz bus to PC parallel
port, say, but the BBC software side of that would be well beyond me)

> For anyone who cares, here are the best of the bookmarks I have built up
> in my travels - I have read every single site, and still not much the
> wiser! Bookmarks: http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/bookmarks/bbc.xml

You need some line break tags in there; it just gets spat out as a
continuous chunk of text into a browser :)

cheers

Jules

"Jules" <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> You need some line break tags in there; it just gets spat out as a
> continuous chunk of text into a browser :)

Ahh, you've brought something to my attention I never realised - Opera (even
version 8) can't handle XML/XSLT data properly.
I can usually count on stuff working in Opera OK if it works in IE and
Firefox...don't know what to do about this, sorry!
(G'wan, try Firefox, it's lovely, honest!)

"Jules" <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> I have made up a serial cable between the BBC and a PC before and used
> xfer to transfer data; it's slow as all hell (hardware issues - the xfer
> software is very good) but it works very nicely otherwise.

Well....I finally got round to making the cable. I gave up trying to find
the 5 pin domino plug - NO-ONE sells it any more!
So I made my own plug from a cork and some paper clips, and I can send stuff
reliably to the BBC at 1200 bps.

All well and good. So, I started XFER and it stopped afer a few seconds
saying "could not send whole line...."

So, using hyperterm on the pc, I "sent" the xterm program (tried both
version 4 and version 5.1) to the bbc, saved it, ran it.
Ran xfer on the pc, again, it timed out.
I checked and checked over and over - I can send stuff to and from the pc
and beeb at all speeds right up to 9600, but xfer just won't play.
I've configured the ini file, set the switches on the command line, the lot.

Where am I going wrong?!? Is there another simple way to get data (a while
file) from the BBC B to the PC?
I can echo the commands to the beeb OK - just stuck at the xfer bit. Looks
like a grear app, though!

Oh, and it's all the more urgent now, as the power supply is making an acrid
stench and is very VERY hot - it's off now, and I'm going to blow a fan over
it from now on...wonder what's making it do that all of a sudden? There's no
short in my cork plug!

"Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Jules" <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

>> You need some line break tags in there; it just gets spat out as a
>> continuous chunk of text into a browser :)
>
> Ahh, you've brought something to my attention I never realised - Opera
> (even version 8) can't handle XML/XSLT data properly.

Found a workaround - there's a php function that will do Opera's work for it
Try this link instead:
http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/bookmarks/bbc.php

On 12 May 2005 "Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:

[PC <> BBC B serial comms]

> All well and good. So, I started XFER and it stopped afer a few seconds
> saying "could not send whole line...."
>
> So, using hyperterm on the pc, I "sent" the xterm program (tried both
> version 4 and version 5.1) to the bbc, saved it, ran it. Ran xfer on the
> pc, again, it timed out. I checked and checked over and over - I can send
> stuff to and from the pc  and beeb at all speeds right up to 9600, but xfer
> just won't play. I've configured the ini file, set the switches on the
> command line, the lot.
>
> Where am I going wrong?!?

What sort of flow control do you have configured for the PC end. The Beeb
only supports CTS/RTS hardware hand shaking, and DTR/DSR will have to be
wired in to the PC plug or configured off. If that fails try setting software
flow control at both ends.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
5/12/2005 6:54:40 PM
In article <428392ec$2_2@x-privat.org>, digitaltoast@gmail.com says...
> "Jules" <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > I have made up a serial cable between the BBC and a PC before and used
> > xfer to transfer data; it's slow as all hell (hardware issues - the xfer
> > software is very good) but it works very nicely otherwise.
>
> Well....I finally got round to making the cable. I gave up trying to find
> the 5 pin domino plug - NO-ONE sells it any more!
> So I made my own plug from a cork and some paper clips, and I can send stuff
> reliably to the BBC at 1200 bps.

If you still want a domino plug, I have three in the drawer next to me.

> All well and good. So, I started XFER and it stopped afer a few seconds
> saying "could not send whole line...."
>
> So, using hyperterm on the pc, I "sent" the xterm program (tried both
> version 4 and version 5.1) to the bbc, saved it, ran it.
> Ran xfer on the pc, again, it timed out.
> I checked and checked over and over - I can send stuff to and from the pc
> and beeb at all speeds right up to 9600, but xfer just won't play.
> I've configured the ini file, set the switches on the command line, the lot.

When I did this many years ago, ISTR I used the comms package in Mini
Office and a DOS based app on the PC.

--
Greg Harris (Norwich, UK)
0
Jonathan wrote:
> "Jules" <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>I have made up a serial cable between the BBC and a PC before and used
>>xfer to transfer data; it's slow as all hell (hardware issues - the xfer
>>software is very good) but it works very nicely otherwise.
>

> Well....I finally got round to making the cable. I gave up trying to find
> the 5 pin domino plug - NO-ONE sells it any more!
> So I made my own plug from a cork and some paper clips, and I can send stuff
> reliably to the BBC at 1200 bps.

FWIW, I thought the plug was called "5-pin DIN".
0
news7358 (59)
5/12/2005 7:12:49 PM
In article <4283AAB1.4030106@mrabarnett.plus.com>, Matthew Barnett
<news@mrabarnett.plus.com> writes
>Jonathan wrote:
>> "Jules" <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have made up a serial cable between the BBC and a PC before and
>>>used
>>>xfer to transfer data; it's slow as all hell (hardware issues - the xfer
>>>software is very good) but it works very nicely otherwise.
>>   Well....I finally got round to making the cable. I gave up trying
>>to find the 5 pin domino plug - NO-ONE sells it any more!
>> So I made my own plug from a cork and some paper clips, and I can
>>send stuff  reliably to the BBC at 1200 bps.
>>
>FWIW, I thought the plug was called "5-pin DIN".
AIR there were/are three types of 5 pin DIN  180 degree (commonplace)
270 deg (never seen one) and domino which I've only ever seen on a beeb.
--
John: Replace "SPAMBIN" with "john" to reply.
0
"Matthew Barnett" <news@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote in message
> Jonathan wrote:
>> "Jules" <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>

>>>I have made up a serial cable between the BBC and a PC before and used
>>>xfer to transfer data; it's slow as all hell (hardware issues - the xfer
>>>software is very good) but it works very nicely otherwise.
>>

>> Well....I finally got round to making the cable. I gave up trying to find
>> the 5 pin domino plug - NO-ONE sells it any more!
>> So I made my own plug from a cork and some paper clips, and I can send
>> stuff reliably to the BBC at 1200 bps.
>>
> FWIW, I thought the plug was called "5-pin DIN".

Nope, domino, because of the layout - look at it and you'll see what I mean!
http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=3554&type=6&path=12x124x384
It's a "DIN" plug, but in the "domino" layout...

> On 12 May 2005 "Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [PC <> BBC B serial comms]
>
>> All well and good. So, I started XFER and it stopped afer a few seconds
>> saying "could not send whole line...."
>>
>> So, using hyperterm on the pc, I "sent" the xterm program (tried both
>> version 4 and version 5.1) to the bbc, saved it, ran it. Ran xfer on the
>> pc, again, it timed out. I checked and checked over and over - I can send
>> stuff to and from the pc  and beeb at all speeds right up to 9600, but
>> xfer
>> just won't play. I've configured the ini file, set the switches on the
>> command line, the lot.
>>
>> Where am I going wrong?!?
>
> What sort of flow control do you have configured for the PC end. The Beeb
> only supports CTS/RTS hardware hand shaking, and DTR/DSR will have to be
> wired in to the PC plug or configured off. If that fails try setting
> software
> flow control at both ends.

It's definitely CTS/RTS - that's what xfer is configured with by default.
And of course, I only got data going one way - from the PC to the Beeb -
xfer would need to handshake presumably. I've crosswired the pins at the pc
end as per the spec, so that the pc doesn't wait for ready, and tested the
pins with a meter to make sure the connection is there.

On the Archimedes front, I have finally, finally found an old pc which I can
read Archie disks on, located the ROMS and just have to figure the rest out
now...

Wonder if I can get this cable worked out before my Beeb melts....oh, and in
case anyone wants to pity me....
http://www.atah01.dsl.pipex.com/bbc_cable.jpg

<URL:mailto:news@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> > Well....I finally got round to making the cable. I gave up trying to find
> > the 5 pin domino plug - NO-ONE sells it any more!
> > So I made my own plug from a cork and some paper clips, and I can send stuff
> > reliably to the BBC at 1200 bps.
> >
> FWIW, I thought the plug was called "5-pin DIN"......

..... which comes in the half circle, pentagon and domino variety, so
when the Beeb has an Econet Interface.

--
jheinsbroek@tip.nl    Sent from a Risc PC near me. (RISC OS 4.02)

0
jheinsbroek (140)
5/12/2005 8:34:03 PM
In message <428392ec$2_2@x-privat.org>
          "Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Jules" <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> I have made up a serial cable between the BBC and a PC before and used
>> xfer to transfer data; it's slow as all hell (hardware issues - the xfer
>> software is very good) but it works very nicely otherwise.
>
> Well....I finally got round to making the cable. I gave up trying to find
> the 5 pin domino plug - NO-ONE sells it any more!
> So I made my own plug from a cork and some paper clips, and I can send stuff
> reliably to the BBC at 1200 bps.

[snip]

Maplin still sell DIN plugs/sockets and various leads, according to
their Autumn 2004/2005 catalogue.  Stores in lots of places.
www.maplin.co.uk.

David

--
Dr. David Callaghan, C.Eng., FIEE
Using RISCOS 3.7, StrongArm RISCPC 700
On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:39:08 +0100, Jonathan wrote:
>>> You need some line break tags in there; it just gets spat out as a
>>> continuous chunk of text into a browser :)
>>
>> Ahh, you've brought something to my attention I never realised - Opera
>> (even version 8) can't handle XML/XSLT data properly.
>
> Found a workaround - there's a php function that will do Opera's work for it
> Try this link instead:
> http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/bookmarks/bbc.php

Nice one - that works :)

ta,

Jules

In article <Pal8HrEi+6gCFwTL@jpurser.demon.co.uk>, John Purser
<URL:mailto:bin@jpurser.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4283AAB1.4030106@mrabarnett.plus.com>, Matthew Barnett
> <news@mrabarnett.plus.com> writes
> >Jonathan wrote:
> >> "Jules" <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> >>   Well....I finally got round to making the cable. I gave up trying
> >>to find the 5 pin domino plug - NO-ONE sells it any more!
> >> So I made my own plug from a cork and some paper clips, and I can
> >>send stuff  reliably to the BBC at 1200 bps.
> >>
> >FWIW, I thought the plug was called "5-pin DIN".
> AIR there were/are three types of 5 pin DIN  180 degree (commonplace)
> 270 deg (never seen one) and domino which I've only ever seen on a beeb.

We have all three in stock here;-)

I'll add them to our database.

Chris Evans

--
CJE Micro's / 4D                'RISC OS Specialists'
Telephone: 01903 523222             Fax: 01903 523679
chris@cjemicros.co.uk     http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/
78 Brighton Road, Worthing, West Sussex,     BN11 2EN
The most beautiful thing anyone can wear, is a smile!

0
chris8168 (2937)
5/13/2005 8:52:51 AM
Jonathan wrote:
> "druck" <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote in message
>
>>On 12 May 2005 "Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>[PC <> BBC B serial comms]
>>

>>>All well and good. So, I started XFER and it stopped afer a few seconds
>>>saying "could not send whole line...."
>>>
>>>So, using hyperterm on the pc, I "sent" the xterm program (tried both
>>>version 4 and version 5.1) to the bbc, saved it, ran it. Ran xfer on the
>>>pc, again, it timed out. I checked and checked over and over - I can send
>>>stuff to and from the pc  and beeb at all speeds right up to 9600, but
>>>xfer
>>>just won't play. I've configured the ini file, set the switches on the
>>>command line, the lot.
>>>
>>>Where am I going wrong?!?
>>
>>What sort of flow control do you have configured for the PC end. The Beeb
>>only supports CTS/RTS hardware hand shaking, and DTR/DSR will have to be
>>wired in to the PC plug or configured off. If that fails try setting
>>software
>>flow control at both ends.
>

> It's definitely CTS/RTS - that's what xfer is configured with by default.
> And of course, I only got data going one way - from the PC to the Beeb -
> xfer would need to handshake presumably. I've crosswired the pins at the pc
> end as per the spec, so that the pc doesn't wait for ready, and tested the
> pins with a meter to make sure the connection is there.
>
> On the Archimedes front, I have finally, finally found an old pc which I can
> read Archie disks on, located the ROMS and just have to figure the rest out
> now...
>
> Wonder if I can get this cable worked out before my Beeb melts....oh, and in
> case anyone wants to pity me....
> http://www.atah01.dsl.pipex.com/bbc_cable.jpg

Personally, I'd suspect the cable.

The 5pin 'Domino' plugs are availaable at RS Components and at Maplin.
The Maplin catalogue number is RK64U and the description 'DIN Plug 5-Pin C'.

Cheers,
--
Mike Howard			aixguru_at_blueyonder_dot_co_dot_uk
Eccleston
		(Remove all underscores)
England

0
e630193 (33)
5/13/2005 12:05:13 PM
> Jonathan wrote:

>> http://www.atah01.dsl.pipex.com/bbc_cable.jpg
>
> Personally, I'd suspect the cable.

Me too!

> The 5pin 'Domino' plugs are availaable at RS Components and at Maplin. The
> Maplin catalogue number is RK64U and the description 'DIN Plug 5-Pin C'.

Heh - and how many more shops can I try?! Head office can't even tell me the
last time it was a centrally stocked item, and I have phoned 6 stores hoping
there are some left - nothing!

Actually, I am trying again to get the BBC disk drive plugged directly into
the PC - it would take literally days to transfer all the disks via serial
cable.
I'll let you know how it goes...might have to go back to the cable idea as a
last resort, and might email the person elsewhere in this thread who had a
few "in the draw"!

"Chris Evans" <chris@cjemicros.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <Pal8HrEi+6gCFwTL@jpurser.demon.co.uk>, John Purser

>> AIR there were/are three types of 5 pin DIN  180 degree (commonplace)
>> 270 deg (never seen one) and domino which I've only ever seen on a beeb.
>
> We have all three in stock here;-)
>
> I'll add them to our database.

Keep a couple of those domino's aside - might well be calling you if plan B
fails!

In article <4284aa04_1@x-privat.org>, digitaltoast@gmail.com says...
> "Mike Howard" <e630193@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Jonathan wrote:
>
> >> http://www.atah01.dsl.pipex.com/bbc_cable.jpg
> >
> > Personally, I'd suspect the cable.
>
> Me too!
>
> > The 5pin 'Domino' plugs are availaable at RS Components and at Maplin. The
> > Maplin catalogue number is RK64U and the description 'DIN Plug 5-Pin C'.

[snip]

> Actually, I am trying again to get the BBC disk drive plugged directly into
> the PC - it would take literally days to transfer all the disks via serial
> cable.

Makes you think how lucky we are nowadays. Good luck!

> I'll let you know how it goes...might have to go back to the cable idea as a
> last resort, and might email the person elsewhere in this thread who had a
> few "in the draw"!

I dug out the the DOS s/w and it was ProComm (v2.3). I even found the
cable and the old IBM 5155 (I'll have to look on Ebay) that I used for
the transfer.

If you still need a plug just ask, the Reply To: address is valid.

--
Greg Harris (Norwich, UK)
0
          Mike Howard <e630193@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The 5pin 'Domino' plugs are availaable at RS Components and at Maplin.  The
> Maplin catalogue number is RK64U and the description 'DIN Plug 5-Pin C'.

Also at Farnell (start from www.farnell.com) as stock number
610-0520 which is in stock (locking but should be compatible anyway)
(don't believe the photograph, they've managed to link a photo of a
different one in the range).  There may be more, but O2 seems unable
to get the next page atm.

Dave
0
davehigton (2157)
5/13/2005 8:09:15 PM
In article <ant1220030b0cx2*@RiscPC.my.home>, Hans Heinsbroek
<URL:mailto:jheinsbroek@tip.nl> wrote:
> In article <4283AAB1.4030106@mrabarnett.plus.com>, Matthew Barnett
> <URL:mailto:news@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > Well....I finally got round to making the cable. I gave up trying to find
> > > the 5 pin domino plug - NO-ONE sells it any more!
> > > So I made my own plug from a cork and some paper clips, and I can send stuff
> > > reliably to the BBC at 1200 bps.
> > >
> > FWIW, I thought the plug was called "5-pin DIN"......

Strange, it should read:
> .... which comes in the half circle, pentagon and domino variety, so
  Jonathan is quite right stating the format, especially
> when the Beeb has an Econet Interface.

It still shows like this in the original sent item, yet a complete
line had disappeared.

--
jheinsbroek@tip.nl    Sent from a Risc PC near me. (RISC OS 4.02)

0
jheinsbroek (140)
5/13/2005 8:55:52 PM
Jonathan wrote:

> On the Archimedes front, I have finally, finally found an old pc which I can
> read Archie disks on, located the ROMS and just have to figure the rest out
> now...

Is this any help?

- couldn't the Archimedes format and write to 'Atari' floppies and

is there a freeware app that would allow a PC to read Atari floppies?

If this is rubbish blame my memory.

Cheers, Dave C.
0
cooperda (10)
5/17/2005 1:32:04 PM
dac wrote:
> Jonathan wrote:
>
> > On the Archimedes front, I have finally, finally found an old pc
which I can
> > read Archie disks on, located the ROMS and just have to figure the
rest out
> > now...
> >

> Is this any help?
> - couldn't the Archimedes format and write to 'Atari' floppies and
> is there a freeware app that would allow a PC to read Atari floppies?
> If this is rubbish blame my memory.

I don't think RISC OS 2 can handle Atari disks, can it?  720K DOS
floppies are a better bet (unless there's loads to transfer) using disk
images, !MultiFS or similar under RISC OS 2 or directly under RISC OS
3.  No need for any utility on the PC.

Rgds,
Andrew

0
ajw99uk (550)
5/17/2005 3:16:05 PM
Finally FINALLY got the cable working, got xfer transferred over, got the
two talking to each other.
My god, 9600 is SLOW! But thankfully, it has been transferring data for the
last 5 hours this morning.
Before I did too many more, I thought I'd make sure I could read some files
in, so I sparked up the "model-b" emulator, and of course, plain old "load"
didn't work, as it knows nothing of the underlying pc fs.
Having failed to understand bbcim (along with everyone else asking the same
questions about it!) I downloaded BBC Explorer, which looked promising, but
would only create filenames with a single character.
In other words, I have
$.THOMP
$.THOMP.inf
as copied from the Beeb, but both on XP and Win98, it creates files in the
bbc image as just
$.T
which is no good as there are lots of other files starting with T!

I can't get the disk image bit of xfer to work either ("cannot read track 0"
or "cannot access ADFS" etc)

And finally, any idea where I could find out what sort of app made files
with contents like this?
@   �@   1 LEUMAS BBOR selitS saw B epoR fo rednuoF@
It's plain text mixed with, I presume, formatting characters, but it's all
reversed!

It's either from some sort of Family History / Genaelogy programme (that I
can't find any trace of), or from Clare's Beta Base.
I've lost the original of Beta Base, and I can't find it anywhere for
download! If anyone has it....(before anyone starts talking about copyright,
Clares don't exist anymore, and I can scan in the original case, manual
whatever!). Unless there is something that can import Clares beta base
stuff?

Any help would be appreciated, as it's a whole load of Family History stuff
that a load of relatives are relying on me for, and after about 120 hours of
my time I'm beginning to regret ever getting involved!

On 30 May 2005 "Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:

[Snip]

> And finally,

Its betest not to mix different questions in one post as this part isn't
appropriate to csa.hardware or csa.networking, so I've set followups to
csa.apps.

> any idea where I could find out what sort of app made files
> with contents like this?
> @   �@   1 LEUMAS BBOR selitS saw B epoR fo rednuoF@
> It's plain text mixed with, I presume, formatting characters, but it's all
> reversed!

A BBC BASIC applications as strings written with PRINT# have a type, length
byte, the the string contents are reversed.

> It's either from some sort of Family History / Genaelogy programme (that I
> can't find any trace of), or from Clare's Beta Base.
> I've lost the original of Beta Base, and I can't find it anywhere for
> download! If anyone has it....(before anyone starts talking about
> copyright,  Clares don't exist anymore, and I can scan in the original
> case, manual  whatever!). Unless there is something that can import Clares
> beta base  stuff?
>
> Any help would be appreciated, as it's a whole load of Family History stuff
> that a load of relatives are relying on me for, and after about 120 hours
> of  my time I'm beginning to regret ever getting involved!

Sorry don't have either of those applications.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
5/30/2005 5:11:10 PM
> On 30 May 2005 "Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:

> A BBC BASIC applications as strings written with PRINT# have a type,
> length
> byte, the the string contents are reversed.

Ah, that sort of explains it! By an amazing bit of chance, I happened to
load a disk with no label, and there was an app on it called "PAGE", and
this, it turned out, was something called "Micro-Aid Family History
Programme", and it reads in the files I was having trouble identifying.

Now to find the VIEW Roms :)

> Having failed to understand bbcim

I decided to read EVERY newsgroup posting about bbcim I could find, and
halfway through one of them, it turned out that bbcim wildcards don't work
in DOS!
As I have a little cheap webspace with ssh access, I uploaded the bbcim for
unix, compiled it, uploaded all the files, did the wildcard thing,
downloaded the resulting disk image (all in ASCII), and you know what? IT
ACTUALLY WORKED! If anyone needs more info, email me.

In article <429b4cf3$1_1@x-privat.org>,
   Jonathan <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
> "druck" <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote in message
> > On 30 May 2005 "Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:

> > A BBC BASIC applications as strings written with PRINT# have a type,
> > length
> > byte, the the string contents are reversed.

> Ah, that sort of explains it! By an amazing bit of chance, I happened to
> load a disk with no label, and there was an app on it called "PAGE", and
> this, it turned out, was something called "Micro-Aid Family History
> Programme",

Ahhh, yes, I remember that. The author was down in Corwall/Devon somewhere
and as we were holidaying in the area rang him and collected a copy. He
seemed slightly disparaging of BBC computers and was porting to the PC I
think. He also seemed slightly unhappy about us collecting but agreed to
the request. I've probably still got it somewhere.

--
Stuart Winsor

From is valid but subject to change without notice if it gets spammed.

See: http://www.barndance.org.uk
0
SW_NOSPAM (1409)
5/30/2005 9:05:02 PM
Seems like getting the plain text from View documents isn't too bad, but the
formatting is a little messed up.
Is there some kind of batch conversion, or even import filter, which I can
use in Word or OpenOffice to open up these old View documents as they were
intended?
It's not very easy Googling for something that involves the word "View" -
it's not very specific!

On 2 Jun 2005 "Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems like getting the plain text from View documents isn't too bad, but the
> formatting is a little messed up.
> Is there some kind of batch conversion, or even import filter, which I can
> use in Word or OpenOffice to open up these old View documents as they were
> intended?
> It's not very easy Googling for something that involves the word "View" -
> it's not very specific!

I did run in to that problem last time this came up.

I don't know of anything for the PC, but there are a couple of RISC OS
utilities that will convert from View to text, or to another defunct word
processor 1st Word Plus. 1WP files can be loaded by an modern package called
EasiWriter/TechWriter, which can save the documents out as MS Word. Hopefully
some of the formatting will survive that.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
6/2/2005 7:14:12 PM
druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

 > I don't know of anything for the PC, but there are a couple of RISC OS
> utilities that will convert from View to text

Impression comes with a LoadView filter. If you don't have Impression I
think Impression Junior is freely available and the import filter should
work with it.

From there you could print to a PostScript file which can easily be
converted to PDF and read on your PC but not easily edited.

Alternatively, if you want a Word file, export the text with styles from
Impression and load it into EasiWriter/TechWriter, as Druck suggests.

--
Govind Kharbanda
0
<digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems like getting the plain text from View documents isn't
> too bad, but the formatting is a little messed up. Is there
> some kind of batch conversion, or even import filter, which I
> can use in Word or OpenOffice to open up these old View
> documents as they were intended? ...

This could be done in RISC OS using the appropriate applications
for conversion which I happen to have (Impression with the View
loader and EasiWriter) provided the formatting is not too
complicated.  If you send me a View file I will give it a whirl -
use the address in my signature block.  If I'm successful we can
discuss dealing with the whole set.

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK  bric at f2s dot com
bric-nospam (871)

Acorn -> PC file transfer
Hi All I've had this problem before, and I *thought* I had solved it. If I take a Word file that has arrived by email to my Acorn - say it's Letter/doc - and I transfer it across to my laptop using ShareFS, all is well, and it arrives as Letter.doc. (PDF files are OK too.) So far so good. However, if I take an *EPS* file that has arrived by email to my Acorn - say it's Picture/eps - and I transfer it across to my laptop using ShareFS, it arrives as Picture.eps,ff5. Now, I know (think?!) it's something to do with MimeMap, and I've looked at the MimeMap file in !Boot.R...

Best BBC Micro/Acorn Archimedes emulator?
My Dad used to own these computers in his school and all his favourite old games and apps were on them. I'm using BeebEm at the moment, but it has some issues. The sound glitches terribly on 11k - which tends to sound better since it's filtered like synths are meant to be. The fullscreen mode is also awkward, not having a proper key combination that toggles it. Also, the "screen modes" almost always tend to be too dark - some kind of colour/brightness adjust is needed. Wouldn't mind a palette editor. I'm playing Ravenskull and it just looks hideous with colours. Lowe...

WANTED: Western Digital 1770 or 1772 disc controller chip, dead BBC Micro or Acorn Archimedes considered.
WANTED: Western Digital 1770 or 1772 chip, dead BBC Micro or Acorn Archimedes considered. In article <dgv0nvcrfndkl66hhnp4upk73cbpo9eq77@4ax.com>, Andy Jones <URL:mailto:andypandy00@hotmail.com> wrote: > WANTED: Western Digital 1770 or 1772 chip, dead BBC Micro or Acorn > Archimedes considered. We have them in stock! BBC B 1770/1772 Disc Interface upgrade 15 GBP (the 1770 is soldered to the daughter board" http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/prices/categories/consumables.shtml#BBC We may also have the chip only, same price. Chris Evans -- CJE Micro's / NCS /...

PC to Acorn transfer
I have a (actually 3) A7000s, each of which has an ethernet card, and a PC laptop which I want to transfer files to using a direct connection from the PC network card to the Ethernet card on the 7000. Im using windoze XP on the laptop. What is the best way to set this up, hopefully for free, and what sort of transfer rate can I expect? Many Thanks Jon Dallimore PS, if people could send any replys by email I would be grateful as I have a mad couple of weeks coming up and wont be able to get on the newsgroup for a while. Thanks. ...

For sale: games for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k) & IBM PC (5.25" & 3.5" & CD)
I have many old games, on 5.25" & 3.5" & CD for PC and on tapes for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k). I need to sell some of them. Would you like to buy any? I have bank accounts in the U.K.; the Republic of Ireland; Sweden; Germany; the Netherlands and Italy, so I can accept payment in a number of currencies and in a number of ways. I live at 2461 Via Tosco Romagnola, Titignano, 56023 Cascina (PI), Italy. Send me an email or a lett...

FS: Misc Acorn (and non-Acorn) hardware
Like Peter Naulls yesterday, I'm trying to get rid of my remaining Risc PC and the related hardware. I've put them on eBay. The Acorn-specific items are: Acorn Risc PC StrongARM 233 MHz + Power-tec SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202188067 i-cubed EtherLan600 for Acorn Risc PC/A7000 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202186713 Acorn Risc PC power supply, backplane and screws http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202185817 RISC OS Select http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202184767 STD PS2Mouse for Acorn Risc PC http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202183392 Acorn MEU + Plextor PlexWriter RW 4220 internal SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202182624 Graphic tablet PaintPal Deluxe http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202181086 The rest is not Acorn-specific but was connected to either a Risc PC or a Iyonix and therefore may be of interest here as well: Mitsumi FA402M 3.5" Floppy and 7in1 Media Drive http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202179719 Sony 3.5" Floppy MPF 920 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202177159 ELSA MicroLink ISDN 4U Router/Hub http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5777800061 Iomega ZIP 100 Drive external SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202173954 HP ScanJet 3c SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...

FA: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor
For Auction on eBay: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor British Broadcasting Corporation Microcomputer System Processor: ARM 3 Memory: 8 MB Hard Disc: 350 MB Podules: Design IT E500 Access+ (Ethernet 10Base2) Oak SCSI Interface Watford Electronics Scanner Peripherals: 3-button mouse Original keyboard with extension cable Watford Electronics Hand Scanner Monitor: Acorn AKF50 with mains connection to A310 and 9/15 adapter. Slight superficial damage to monitor case. Used to be in daily use. Needed only fresh AA batteries (for CMOS RAM) to overcome a year of non-use. Buyer arranges collection. Payment: cash on collection <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acorn-Archimedes-A310_W0QQitemZ8804993118QQcategoryZ4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> -- * Sick of BT? Leave them and reduce your phone bill by up to half. * Want a spam-proof Usenet address? Visit www.invalid.org.uk or email me: postmaster at invalid dot org dot uk * (tim@invalid.org.uk is deleted - please use my valid address above) .... "Thy glass will show thee how thy beauties wear, thy dial how thy precious minutes waste" Sonnet 77 ...

Transfering data from acorn to pc
I have a need to transfer a lot of data from my very old RiscPC to Windows. I do not have a network card on the RiscPC Neither is there a USB port. I have considered floppies, but really do not have the time to do so. Is there a simpler way to carry this out? On 11 Nov 2008, Tanuj Shah <news@shaniwas.screaming.net> wrote: > I have a need to transfer a lot of data from my very old RiscPC to > Windows. Is the data in a format which can be read by a Windows application? > I do not have a network card on the RiscPC > Neither is there a USB port. You've ruled out the b...

FA: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor #2
For Auction on eBay (Less than 20 hours to go): Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor British Broadcasting Corporation Microcomputer System Processor: ARM 3 Memory: 8 MB Hard Disc: 350 MB Podules: Design IT E500 Access+ (Ethernet 10Base2) Oak SCSI Interface Watford Electronics Scanner Peripherals: 3-button mouse Original keyboard with extension cable Watford Electronics Hand Scanner Monitor: Acorn AKF50 with mains connection to A310 and 9/15 adapter. Slight superficial damage to monitor case. Used to be in daily use. Needed only fresh AA batteries (for CMOS RAM) to overcome a year of non-use. Buyer arranges collection. Payment: cash on collection <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acorn-Archimedes-A310_W0QQitemZ8804993118QQcategoryZ4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> ...

Acorn Computers and the BBC Micro Story
Sadly I can't get time off work to attend this :-( Some of you might be more fortunate. If so, could you videotape it for me? IEE Cambridge Branch announces its first lecture of the 2004/2005 session: The Chairman's Address: "Acorn Computers and the BBC Micro Story" presented by Chris Turner of Cambridge Consultants. Thursday, October 7th, at 7pm Lecture Theatre 0, Engineering Department, University of Cambridge. Tea will be available from 6:30pm Chris was Chief Engineer of Acorn from its foundation in 1979 until 1988. He will recount some history of Acorn and the BBC Micro with a review of the engineering considerations and the impact made by the company and the computer. The talk will be illustrated from Chris' own archives and other sources. ...

acorn to pc transfer across a network card
I am trying to transfer files between an A7000 and a PC with Windoze xp. Both have network cards, and I am trying to set this up with a direct connection from the A7000 net card to the PC. I have Omniclient on the Acorn, and just normal windoze tools on the PC. Can anyone tell me how to set this up so I can share drives on the acorn with the pc,and visa versa. If people could email to dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk as I dont know when I will get chance to check usenet again. Thanks Jon ...

Misc Acorn/BBC Hardware/Software up for free.
Hi Guys, I have been a keen retro computing enthusiast for as long as I can remember however I have no come to a point where I can no longer store the stuff I have. I have been slowly but surely giving things away over the last few year. I still have quite a few bits which as I uncover them whilst sorting the loft/garage/cupboards etc, I am starting to list and wondered if you or people you know might be interested in any of it. So I guess comes the shameless plug as I am listing it on my 'free to a good home' site called AnyGoodToYou.com where we have specifically set up a section for Vintage / classic hardware. Hope you can help as I really don't want this stuff to end up at the local WEEE dump. Cheers Allan ...

need help extracting files from Acorn BBC image
In the interest of studying gsx80 I have been trying to extract the z80 version of graphplan from a .dsd image here: http://www.g7jjf.com/acornz80_disc_images.htm I contacted Jon Welch about the disk parameters and he sent me a pdf which contained the format spec: CP/M Disc Format Acorn CP/M uses the following double sided disc format:- 80 tracks / surface 10 sectors / track 256 bytes / sector A double sided disc is regarded by CP/M as a single logical disc with 160 tracks numbered from 1 to 159. In order to obtain the best disc performance the following logical to ph...

Copy files from Acorn Risc Hard Drive to PC ?
I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector in a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? Thanks for any help. Regards In message <Xns9AB8B56D879FCisissoft@193.202.122.104> Isis <isissoft@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote: > I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old > Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector in > a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? In outline, you'll either need to plug the drive into a RISC OS computer, or into a PC chassis running Linux, with an add-on to read the files. As far as I know you can't read them under Windows. (There might be something related to Red Squirrel/Virtual Acorn, but i suspect you'd need the emulator for that to work.) no doubt you'll get more precise/accurate answers soon. -- Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk http://www.nckc.org.uk/ On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:50:16 +0000, Isis wrote: > I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old > Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector > in a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? Windows does not support the file system that RISC OS, Acorn's operating system, uses - let along the par...

Using Acorn BBC on Analogue PC TV Card
Hi, I've been using my BBC B on an older analogue tv card for a few years on my PC. This has now died and I am looking at a replacement. The card I have been using was a Hauppage WinTV Theatre that allowed me to fine tune the channel. I was wondering if anybody has experience of using USB Analogue/Digital tv adapters such as the one here:- http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=6859&category_id=488&manufacturer_id=0&tid=27442 I plan on using it for other pieces of retro kit such as my trusty old ZX81 and Spectrum but can envisage taking a USB adapter away with me on business trips to use on my laptop to watch freeview channels. So if anybody has had any good or bad experiences using these devices with retro kit or can suggest a suitable device then this would be appreciated. Cheers Simon ...

IEE talk: Acorn Computer and the BBC Micro Story
A bit short notice, but I've just seen this: Thursday 7th October, IEE Cambridge branch presents: Chairman's Address: Acorn Computer and the BBC Micro Story Chris Turner (Cambridge Consultants) Chris was Chief Engineer of Acorn from its formation in 1979 until 1988. He will recount some history of Acorn and the BBC Micro with a review of the engineering considerations and the impact made by the company and the computer. The talk will be illustrated from Chris' own archives and other sources. Lecture Theatre 0, Cambridge University Engineering Department, Trumpington St, Cambridge at 7pm, tea from 6.30pm. All welcome, further details from <URL:http://www.iee-cambridge.org.uk/>. -- n.g.boalch@durham.ac.uk, Backup Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce Submissions to <URL:mailto:csaa@owlart.net> Related mail to <URL:mailto:csaa-request@owlart.net> In message <slrncm7750.2nr.n.g.boalch@compsoc.dur.ac.uk> Theo Markettos <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote: > Lecture Theatre 0, Cambridge University Engineering Department, Trumpington > St, Cambridge at 7pm, tea from 6.30pm. All welcome, further details from > <URL:http://www.iee-cambridge.org.uk/>. Looks like I can make it - anyone fancy a quick meet beforehand in the Regal - say at 6pm? -- Peter Naulls - peter@chocky.org | http://www.chocky.org/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- RISC OS C Progra...

How to create PC File Description File(.FDF) for Client Access file transfer utility?
Hello Friends, I want to know how can i create PC File Description file (.FDF) that we give in File Transfer Utility of Client Access, while transfering any file from PC to AS400. What are the parameters of .FDF file and how can i create one to describe my PC file that is to be transfered? I would be grateful if you can guide me to some manual in which i can get this. Thanks in Advance for yr help in this regard. kind regards, Umer Assuming the file exists on the as400, use CA to download the file first and select create FDF option. If not, download any file and select FDF and loo...

transferring bbc micro adfs/dfs 5.25" disks to pc.
transferring bbc micro adfs/dfs 5.25" disks to pc. and being able to read them. I am familiar with using a beeb emulator but unsure of how to transfer and read the data. instead of getting hold of a bbc micro. is there a 5.25" disk drive available for the pc, and will it read these types of disks. thanks in advance On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:39:46 GMT, "David Farrow" <music4media@ntlworld.com> wrote: >transferring bbc micro adfs/dfs 5.25" disks to pc. and being able to read >them. I am familiar with using a beeb emulator but unsure of ho...

For Auction/Sale: BBC Micro/ Acorn Electron Stuff: Mags, Software, Drives and more...
Hi all, I would have posted this in the .announce group but it seems a bit dead in there. Anyway, time for a clearout of a massive load of BBC Micro and Acorn Electron stuff I have: BBC Micro Model B (BASIC and 3 other ROMS installed) TAXAN/KAGA KP-810 Dot Matrix Printer for above Tons of Acorn User, Micro User and Beebug magazines (there are 72 Beebugs, all continuous issues from volumes 3 to 10), A few games including: Alien 8 and Sabre Wulf (Ultimate) on tape, both in excellent condition, 2 Disc drives, untested but power up, Acorn Electron complete with Plus 1 expansion, datacorder,...

transferring bbc micro adfs/dfs 5.25" disks to pc.
transferring bbc micro adfs/dfs 5.25" disks to pc. and being able to read them. I am familiar with using a beeb emulator but unsure of how to transfer and read the data. instead of getting hold of a bbc micro. is there a 5.25" disk drive available for the pc, and will it read these types of disks. thanks in advance In message <XZrUd.2064$AB1.154@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net> "David Farrow" <music4media@ntlworld.com> wrote: > transferring bbc micro adfs/dfs 5.25" disks to pc. and being able to > read them. I am familiar with us...

Acorn electron motherboard & psu for offer
Greetings I've got an acorn electon motherboard, case and psu that's going spare. All working, just missing the keyboard. Would happily pack and post within the UK for the price of postage - or it could be collected if you're in Aberdeen, Scotland. I'm looking for replacement keyswitches for a late 85 beeb with a brown keyboard pcb. The keyswitches have a rectangular hole in the top as opposed to a cross shaped pillar. Does anyone know where they can be obtained? I've tried RS & maplins to no avail. Tom ...

Two questions
Hi - I was wondering if anyone still had a BBC micro with some old BBS software. Not the client-side stuff (like Commstar) but the serverside stuff. I've got a long-term plan to put a BBC Micro running an old BBC package onto the 'Net via a serial<->TCP/IP bridge. Trouble is I'd first need some BBS software, so I'm hoping someone could perhaps copy me some. Second question: If I want to read a history of Apple, I have lots of choices. 'Infinite Loop', for example. Commodore has 'On The Edge'. Is there a good book that covers the history of Acorn at all? ...

GEDCOM 2 to GEDCOM 5 conversion of Micro Aid Family History Program on Acorn Archimedes
Hello, a bit of a long question, so please bear with me! The background is that a lot of relatives are counting on me to get at some data from my late grandfathers old computer disks. After entering a world of emulators, home-made serial cables and many, many long nights, I now have the data but am totally stuck! As you will see, I've done as much research as possible and really have tried to help myself, but I have reached a dead end (until you good people can help me!). Here's what I found so far: In this thread http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.sys.acorn.apps/browse_thread/thr...

TAR & RAR file useage was Re: Acorn Computing BBC subscription discs (AU CD-ROM)
In article <77f7f8f450.martin@blueyonder.co.uk>, Martin Bazley <URL:mailto:martin.bazley@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > The following bytes were arranged on 8 Mar 2010 by filecore : > > > > Thanks for this, I will have a look at it, you never know, but does > > > this work on RISC OS ? or would I better off trying it on my PC > > > instead? > > > > From what I can tell, they're disk images in a RAR - you'd need to > > extract them on a PC (RISC OS doesn't have RAR support, does it?) > > !UnRAR - http://homepages.ent...

Web resources about - BBC Micro B and Acorn Archimedes A400 (?) to PC file transfer - comp.sys.acorn.hardware

Archimedes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Other mathematical achievements include deriving an accurate approximation of pi , defining and investigating the spiral bearing his name, and ...

Archimedes - Wikipedia
Archimedes of Syracuse (; BC – BC) was a Greek mathematician, physicist, engineer, inventor, and astronomer. Although few details of his life ...

Archimedes
I had always believed Archimedes spent a certain amount of time running through the streets of Syracuse shouting "Eureka, I have found it!" Perhaps ...

Archimedes Scientific Calculator App Goes 2.0 With iOS 7 Redesign And More
Eureka! Archimedes is back with its big 2.0 update. The touch-based scientific calculator app was released in August 2012 and updated several ...

Price Drop: Archimedes Calculator
Archimedes Calculator 3.2 Device: iOS Universal Category: Education Price: Free, Version: 3.2 ( iTunes ) Description: Archimedes is the scientific ...

Archimedes Pi Estimation - Business Insider
Here's how the ancient Greeks found the first few digits of pi. Wikimedia Commons Archimedes Happy Pi Day! It's March 14, or 3/14, matching ...

Archimedes on the Potomac
By a 10-8 vote the Senate Judiciary Committee Tuesday sent the controversial nomination of former Sen. John Ashcroft as U.S. attorney general ...

Eureka! Archimedes scientific calculator gets major update
Scientific calculator app Archimedes has received its first significant update in quite a while. Adding the expected iOS 7-compatible design ...

God of War: Ascension's Trials of Archimedes to be nerfed
God of War: Ascension is finally out, and players have been up in arms about one particular part of the game the Trial of Archimedes. In this ...

Archimedes' Dream: Pi on an OLED ray
Sure, you can roll old school with a Waterford chandelier slung from the ceiling. Better yet, why not fantasize about ancient mathematical screws ...