Connecting PC 1.44MB drive to a A3010

I'm having problems connecting a Sony 1.44mb pc drive to my A3010. I
remember something about having to cut a cable on the IDC lead for other
older platforms. The only thing I can remember is that this switches the
drive to drive ID 0. Would this help with my problem ?

0
Munkey1 (6)

On 30-May-2007, "Munkey" <Munkey@seenoevil.com> wrote:

> I'm having problems connecting a Sony 1.44mb pc drive to my A3010. I
> remember something about having to cut a cable on the IDC lead for other
> older platforms. The only thing I can remember is that this switches the
> drive to drive ID 0. Would this help with my problem ?

Yes. The A3010 must have the drive ID set to 0 as it only has one address
line active.

--
David Holden - APDL - <http://www.apdl.co.uk>
0
"David Holden" <black_hole@apdl.co.uk> wrote in message

> On 30-May-2007, "Munkey" <Munkey@seenoevil.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm having problems connecting a Sony 1.44mb pc drive to my A3010. I
>> remember something about having to cut a cable on the IDC lead for other
>> older platforms. The only thing I can remember is that this switches the
>> drive to drive ID 0. Would this help with my problem ?
>
> Yes. The A3010 must have the drive ID set to 0 as it only has one address
> line active.
>
> --
> David Holden - APDL - <http://www.apdl.co.uk>

0
Munkey1 (6)
5/31/2007 9:32:00 AM
Tried using a pc floppy cable with the twist, still not able to get the sony
drive to show up. Is there some mod that's required for these drives ?
"Munkey" <Munkey@seenoevil.com> wrote in message
> I've cut line 12 on the floppy cable , which is drive select B but the
> computer still doesn't show up the drive.
> "David Holden" <black_hole@apdl.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> On 30-May-2007, "Munkey" <Munkey@seenoevil.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having problems connecting a Sony 1.44mb pc drive to my A3010. I
>>> remember something about having to cut a cable on the IDC lead for other
>>> older platforms. The only thing I can remember is that this switches the
>>> drive to drive ID 0. Would this help with my problem ?
>>
>> Yes. The A3010 must have the drive ID set to 0 as it only has one address
>> line active.
>>
>> --
>> David Holden - APDL - <http://www.apdl.co.uk>

0
Munkey1 (6)
5/31/2007 11:05:52 AM
In message <kCw7i.14669$RP4.13782@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>
          "Munkey" <Munkey@seenoevil.com> wrote:

>I've cut line 12 on the floppy cable , which is drive select B but the
>computer still doesn't show up the drive.

I suppose you issued a "Configure floppies 1" (at CLI prompt) at one point,
didn't you ?

--
Jerome Mathevet

1.44MB floppy drive
I have read the ST FAQ but they don't help much. The more detailed instructions they refer to (sony_144.zip) isn't to be found anywhere. Can anyone help me connect a Sony floppy drive to to 1040 STE (and get it working)? Thanks Ric "ric" <biodistributors@microtech.com.au> wrote in message news:42df4bbb$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au... >I have read the ST FAQ but they don't help much. The more detailed >instructions they refer to (sony_144.zip) isn't to be found anywhere. > > Can anyone help me connect a Sony floppy drive to to 1040 STE (and get it > working)? > > Thanks > > Ric http://www.cps-electronics.co.uk/144/HD4.htm "ric" <biodistributors@microtech.com.au> wrote in message news:42df4bbb$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au... > I have read the ST FAQ but they don't help much. The more detailed > instructions they refer to (sony_144.zip) isn't to be found anywhere. Just typed "sony_144.zip" into Google? 2nd one down, on the Atari Hardware Hack Page. http://atari4ever.free.fr/hardware/drives.html Is for an MPF-520 anyhow, not the current 920's. I'd be tempted to suggest that you pick up an already modded one from Chris at CPS; http://www.cps-electronics.co.uk/144/HD4.htm . At �15 is good value for money seeing as the price on the street is �10 for a stock Sony FDD. Also, should you end up with revision or something, the likes of...

Help needed connecting PC floppy drive to Micro P QLFDC v5.1 (QL)
Can anyone give me any help on connecting a standard floppy drive to the Micro Peripherals QLFDC v5.1 - I assume that any standard floppy drive should work with these type of QL interfaces. If not please let me know. I have an external enclosure, supplying power. I have a cable which I made up - it is a straight through ribbon cable. When I try to access the drive, it clicks as though it's moving the little metal sheild on the disk across, but the drive does not appear to spin, neither does the green light come on. After a pause, the QL says 'drive not ready'. I have tried with t...

Connecting printer on eCS1.1 PC to WinXP SP1 PC
I have a printer on an eCS 1.1 PC and am trying to get my XP SP1 PC to connect to it. The two machines are connected using a crossover RJ-45 cable. On the eCS system I have IBM OS/2 NETBIOS and IBM TCP/IP. On the XP machine I have NetBEUI and TCP/IP with NETBIOS over TCP/IP disabled. The Workgroup name is IBMPEERS. The eCS machine is SYSTEM01 and the XP machine is SYSTEM03. XP shows the machines are connected and I can see and use the files that I have as a share on the eCS machine. On the eCS machine I have full access to the shared files on the XP machine. The printer I want to share is on the eCS machine and I set it up on the eCS machine as a share. When I try to install the printer on the XP machine, it can't find the printer when I browse for it. It does show up when I click on "View Workgroup Computers" (It takes over 30 seconds for the workgroup computers to show up which seems like an overly long time) and then click on the eCS machine Icon. When I force the XP printer installer to "see" the printer by entering the location (\\system01\laserjet) it goes through the install but the "test printer" fails. What the heck am I missing? BTW, I have a Win98 partition on the eCS machine and before I disabled the NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the XP machine I easily installed the printer. I haven't messed with this (Win98) since I began to try to get eCS 1.1 working. Jim More info: I was able to obtain the use of the printer on the eCS syst...

Hi all, I have a ADSL modem connected to a Sitecom DC207 router which in turn is connected to 3 PC's, one of which is old, turned on 24/7, and mostly used for downloading stuff. At times it rather hogs the internet connection, slowing down the connection the other PC's can make substantially. Can anyone suggest a way to limit the share this machine gets of the total internet connection? The downloading software in question does not offer a possibility to limit it's downloading efort to a certain amount. Is there perhaps a way to squeeze the relevant LAN port on the router...

PNY flash drive on PC running RH 9.1 vs. RH 7.1
I have been trying to get a PNY USB 2.0 FD flash drive to work on two PC's, one of which has RH 7.1 and the other of which has RH 9.1. I have succeeded in getting it to work on the one with RH 7.1 but I don't know for certain which of the things I did are responsible for it working. I am unable to get it to work on the one with RH 9.1. Basically, on the one with RH 7.1, I created a file named /etc/updfstab.conf and placed symlink false device flash { match hd flash } in it. I also added the line /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash auto noauto,owner 0 0 to the file /etc/fstab. I also created the directory /mnt/flash and executed /usr/sbin/modprob usb-storage just in case and found after plugging in the flash drive that /proc/scsi/scsi/usb-storage-0/0 contained all the information about the flash drive. Then I mounted it with the command mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash and was able to read and write to the flash drive with no difficulty. Question: is there such a thing as formatting the flash drive for Linux, e.g. with an ext2 file system? If so, how. On the other PC, with RH 9.1, there was already a file /etc/updfstab.conf which simply sourced another file named /etc/updfstab.conf.default. The entry for flash in the latter read device flash { partition 1 match hd CompactFlash match hd ImageMate } I have no idea what these are. I added match hd PNY as a third option in /etc/updfstab.conf after the default file was read in, since later ...

1.1.1.1 ?
hi my firewall logs dropped packets from an internal IP address trying to contact 1.1.1.1 through port 9999. Any ideas whether 1.1.1.1 is valid IP? and what is port 9999?? thanks mike wrote: > hi > > my firewall logs dropped packets from an internal IP address trying to > contact 1.1.1.1 through port 9999. Any ideas whether 1.1.1.1 is valid > IP? and what is port 9999?? > thanks These trojans *BlitzNet*, *Backdoor.Oracle*, *Backdoor.Spadeace* uses port 9999 -- S.S. "StarScripter" <Star@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<bv8ejj$p54t3$1@ID-185702.news.uni-berlin.de>... > mike wrote: > > hi > > > > my firewall logs dropped packets from an internal IP address trying to > > contact 1.1.1.1 through port 9999. Any ideas whether 1.1.1.1 is valid > > IP? and what is port 9999?? > > thanks > > These trojans *BlitzNet*, *Backdoor.Oracle*, *Backdoor.Spadeace* uses port > 9999 thanks very much..will check it out ...

[ANN] PC Timewatch 1.1.1 released
PC TimeWatch 1.1.1 has been released. This new version fixes a problem with the PC TimeWatch service not starting automatically on some systems. http://www.mainsoft.fr/en/pctwoverview.htm http://www.mainsoft.fr/files/ptwsetup.exe (download - 21-day trial) This program is mainly aimed at parents wanting to control the time spent by their children on their computer (although other uses can be considered, of course, like monitoring a classroom). It allows you to specify how much time a Windows session may be running for a given period of time (a period being a day or a week). It ...

How to connect an Apple CR Drive to an PC ?
Hello, i've got to connect an Apple ComboDrive (http://www.apple.com/powerbook/superdrive.html), manufactured by MCE(http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code =CU BECOMB24&Category_Code=STORCDRW&Product_Count=9) on my ordinay i86 pc. Is it possible to develop spme kind of adapter for the IDE, SCSI, FireWire, USB serial port or anything else ??? it just has to be possible to connect an apple cdrom to a pc system - but how ? Could you please help me or give me some information about the apple cdrom bus system or anything that could help me ? Tha...

Hardware question (connecting a tape drive)
Hello I have a VAX 4100 to which is connected a disk tower (SCSI) from the port on the back of the VAX. I think I can connect a tape drive to the inside of the disk tower, as I see another port in there. But I don't have a cable that fits. On the other hand, I do have a SCSI cable that can connect to the tape drive directly from the VAX. As the tape drive has another connector, I figured I could then go from there to the disk tower. I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA devices instead of DKA devices. I see the new tape is there (new device MKA700) but no more DK's. So in a way the VAX sees the devices but does not correctly identify what type they are. The tape drive is like this one, at the bottom of the page you can see the SCSI ports. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seagate-STD62400N-Ext--DAT-24-12%2F24Gb-DDS3-Tape-Drive_W0QQitemZ300378486086QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091217?IMSfp=TL091217187002r9830 Is there any way to serialize the connection of disk drives and a tape like I tried to do ? I can buy a cable to connect the tape to the disk tower, but I'm not evgen sure this will work. If someone can advise... Thanks ! Syltrem "Syltrem" <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:Np7on.68685$rq1.38335@en-nntp-02.dc1.easynews.com... > I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA devices instead of > DKA devices. ...

How to connect a notebook dvd drive to a desktop pc?
Hi everyone. I'd like to connect a Compaq GDR-8081N notebook dvd drive to my desktop pc via the usual ide bus. I just don't know how :-) The connector on the back of the dvd drive looks a little like this (looking at the back of the drive). __________________________________ / \ | --------------------------------- | \__________________________________/ It's a male connector jutting out of the case. The bar in the middle has 34 connection point on top and 34 on the bottom. All I found were adaptors from 44 pins to 40 pins for AT-Bus HDDs. And I fear that they won't fit. Does anyone know the name (or maybe even the specification) of this connector and if there is an adaptor to EIDE? Thanks! Alex Why not just buy a dvd drive that you can get as low as $29.95?Don't you think that would be much better in the long run? "Alexander Federlin" <TheXX@gmx.de> wrote in message news:a357ac.0311270539.f95bfcf@posting.google.com... > Hi everyone. > > I'd like to connect a Compaq GDR-8081N notebook dvd drive to my > desktop pc via the usual ide bus. I just don't know how :-) > > The connector on the back of the dvd drive looks a little like this > (looking at the back of the drive). > __________________________________ > / \ > | --------------------------------- | > \__________________________________/ > > It's a male co...

Connecting a 3590 /3590e tape drive to a PC
Hi All, Recently, we received a pile of 3590 tapes from one of our customers, and we have no way of reading them. After a bit of digging, I found some reasonably priced refurbs (http://www.tapedrives-3480to3590.com/), though I'm still in a bit of sticker-shock. My extremely naive question: What's involved (hardware/software) in connecting one of these suckers to a Win2000 PC? Is this fairly easy, or will I need to go back to school. Basically, I'm wondering if I'm better off sending the tapes for conversion. Thanks, zanek It's pretty easy. With th...

Two drives: OS on Drive 1, Progs on Drive 2, My Docs on which?
Hi I'm considering my partition options to give the best performance. I already have a single Western Digital Raptor WD1500 ADFD. I have my OS (XP Pro), applications and documents in separate partitions so obviously the drive head is having to spend a lot of time moving between them. I wondered what improvement might be gained if I bought a second WD1500 and changed where I store things. So would it be better to have the OS and apps in separate partitions on Drive 1 and My Docs on Drive 2? Or OS on 1, apps on 2, My Docs on which? Is there another arrangement you woul...

Copy files from Acorn Risc Hard Drive to PC ?
I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector in a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? Thanks for any help. Regards In message <Xns9AB8B56D879FCisissoft@193.202.122.104> Isis <isissoft@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote: > I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old > Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector in > a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? In outline, you'll either need to plug the drive into a RISC OS computer, or into a PC chassis running Linux, with an add-on to read the files. As far as I know you can't read them under Windows. (There might be something related to Red Squirrel/Virtual Acorn, but i suspect you'd need the emulator for that to work.) no doubt you'll get more precise/accurate answers soon. -- Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk http://www.nckc.org.uk/ On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:50:16 +0000, Isis wrote: > I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old > Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector > in a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? Windows does not support the file system that RISC OS, Acorn's operating system, uses - let along the par...

Labview program to find the external hardwares connected with the PC
Hai All, &nbsp; Do any one know how to find the external hardware details&nbsp;connected with our PC (like USB memory stick),&nbsp;&nbsp;using labview program. That's completely dependant upon the interface the external hardware uses to connect to the PC, but you can get details of just about anything...Why not just use Windows device manager? That's assuming the user is running Windows. :smileywink:If you are under Windows you can access this information from the Registry. For example, for USB you can look at the keyHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB.Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 04-30-2008 10:39 AM continued <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;thread.id=320567" target="_blank">here</a> ...

Backup OS-9 hard drives on PC hardware.
When I was trying to back up my SyQuest EZ135 SCSI hard drive on a PC, I ran in to an interesting problem. I had the PC (parallel) version of the EZ135, and a SCSI version (hooked to my OS-9 machine). When I inserted a non-DOS formatted platter, the PC would not recognize it. The BIOS (or something) wanted the first sector to be PC-ish. So, my solution was to write a quick program in C to back up the first 512 bytes (sector) of the OS-9 disk, and copy the 512-byte sector from a PC disk to the OS-9 disk. This created an OS-9 disk (unusuable) that would be recognized by the PC. From...

HELP: MacOSX crashes when connecting to shared PC drive
Hi all, I lend my G4 Powerbook to a colleague who's PC laptop got stolen (and was secretly hoping to convert her to the Mac). However she is making extensive use of the shared network drive (which is a PC drive) and when she connects to the drive the Mac just freezes after a while. Or when she tries to open a document which when opened from a PC displays the error "some additional files could not be found" (but opens it fine anyway) it brings the whole system down on the Mac. Help! This is getting embarrassing. Powerbook G4 667, 512 MB RAM, MacOS X 10.2.6 Thanks Markus ...

Re: Classic MPE Hardware to PC Hard Drive Question
remember a hpib small drive was just a regular drive sometimes with a hpib interface board hooked to it... was so with workstations and I assume the small 3000 drives same? My 3000 drive times were with the washing machine sized oldies (7925 etc. Thanks, Ed Sharpe, Archivist for SMECC Web Site at _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org/) We are always looking for items to add to the museum's display and ref. library - please advise if you have anything we can use. Coury House / SMECC 5802 W. Palmaire Ave. Phone 623-435-1522 Glendale Az 85301...

Read Mac 800k disk w/ PC 1.44 drive?
Is there any way I can read from an older Mac 800kb disk on a PC w/ 1.44 FDs under windoze, DOS etc? Perhaps some sort of driver or software utility that would allow files to be copied off the 800kb diskette? thanks! On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:23:32 -0600, pgtr () wrote: > > Is there any way I can read from an older Mac 800kb disk on a PC w/ > 1.44 FDs under windoze, DOS etc? Yes, but you need special hardware. The Central Point CopyIIPC board (which is no longer available - but for which I wrote a Linux driver for kernel 1.0!), and the Catweasel ISA controller, which will...

What's wrong with my Sony Floppy Disk Drive 1.44MB
I've this vexing problem with most of my floppies after I've tried inserting them into my Sony FDD. This dialog prompt will shows, "the floppy is not formatted. do u wish to format it?" What is wrong and furthermore, how come previously, I was able to use my FDD but it was not able to be open in an Win98SE system? FYI, mines' using WinXP Pro. Thanks in advance. On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 01:19:02 +0800, "KahKeeNang" <nospam@emails.com> wrote: >I've this vexing problem with most of my floppies after I've tried inserting >them into m...

access apple II disks from PC 5 1/4 drive
http://www.apple-iigs.info/doc/fichiers/aplus0888.pdf aiiadict@gmail.com wrote: > http://www.apple-iigs.info/doc/fichiers/aplus0888.pdf Nice roundup! I have three out of four of those units :-). The Envoy was the least known of the bunch, but worked quite well. ...

connect imac 5.1 osx 10.5.8 to pc windows me
Hi, I would like to connect an iMac 5.1 running OSX 10.5.8 to a pc running Windows ME so i can transfer files back and forth. Ive been playing with an ethernet cable but I'm unable to find any help on the web. Any help? In article <7a18916c-164e-4f69-b117-2ddc3f73e40e@30g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, WebDude <gentle_kniight@excite.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to connect an iMac 5.1 running OSX 10.5.8 to a pc running > Windows ME so i can transfer files back and forth. Ive been playing > with an ethernet cable but I'm unable to find any help on the web. > > > Any help? Hopefully these will help, especially the first one: http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/migrate/ http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1568 http://www.mac-connect.com/ http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-desktop/default.mspx http://www.macwindows.com/ http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X Thanks for replying, I connected the two computers using the standard ethernet cable from my DSLmodem/pc connection. I enabled sharing on windows ME. I found my PC ip address and my MACintosh ip address. Then i went to MACintosh finder>go>connect to server> entered in the ip address.. and no go. so, I went to my PC and opened up a new window in explorer and typed in the ip address of the MACintosh... no go. very frustrating. > Hopefully these will help, especially the first one: > > http://www.apple.com/support...

How to enable hardware compression on Sony SDX-400C AIT-1 tape drive?
Hello, i'd like to switch on the hardware compression of my Sony SDX-400C AIT-1 tape drive. But how? I'm using 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel on Debian Lenny. I tried switching on the compression with mt-st (V1.1): # mt-st -f /dev/nst0 compression on # echo $? 0 But nothing changed. mt-st -f /dev/nst0 compression without further argument didn't show any result. Even # mt-st -f /dev/nst0 compression Dasfsf didn't report any error. So this command seems to be totally meaningless to the drive. Density code is 0x30: # mt-st -f /dev/nst0 status SCSI 2 tape drive: File n...

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhors e86&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50 ...

Bought a new 2 1/2 inch drive but the connection is different, what gives.
I bought a new 320 Gig 7,200rpm 2 1/2 inch drive and when I got home and installed it it did not show up as a drive. I removed the drive and had a look at the connector and realised that the connector is different and I can't use the new drive. The old drive is a 250Gb SATA drive as well. What gives here, why is there two different types of connectors for SATA laptop drives? Cheers. Pete Pete D wrote: > I bought a new 320 Gig 7,200rpm 2 1/2 inch drive and when I got home and > installed it it did not show up as a drive. I removed the drive and had a > look at the connector and realised that the connector is different and I > can't use the new drive. The old drive is a 250Gb SATA drive as well. Bad luck. Do you have a receipt? Take the old drive to the shop and show it to the sales boy. When he asks "did you look up both model numbers and installation details on their manufacturer's website", just lie - tell him the internet was broke.... -- Adrian C "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message news:498de3b1$0$18784$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au... >I bought a new 320 Gig 7,200rpm 2 1/2 inch drive and when I got home and >installed it it did not show up as a drive. I removed the drive and had a >look at the connector and realised that the connector is different and I >can't use the new drive. The old drive is a 250Gb SATA drive as well. > > What gives here, why is there...

Web resources about - Connecting PC 1.44MB drive to a A3010 - comp.sys.acorn.hardware

List of Nebraska Connecting Link, Spur, and Recreation Highways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nebraska Connecting Link , Nebraska Spur , and Nebraska Recreation Road highways are a secondary part of the Nebraska highway system . They connect ...

Open Compute Project Focusing On Connecting Networking Hardware
The Open Compute Project , a Facebook-started consortium aimed at making data storage more efficient, announced Wednesday that it is now working ...

Connecting 100 Million People in Africa
„Facebook for Business“ liefert dir aktuelle Nachrichten, Tipps und Best Practices für den Einsatz von Facebook zur Erreichung deiner Unternehmensziele: ...

What stops users from connecting with an app through Facebook?
... This equals 850 million users who connect with apps using Facebook at a 59 percent conversion rate. About 590 million users back out of connecting ...

Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting the community, my Twitter strategy, and American Airlines at DFW - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
I thought, to commemorate this entry on connecting people, that I'd include a photo of an airplane from one of the busiest airports in the world ...

DLD15 - Connecting the Dots on IoT: Intelligence of Things (Michael Mendenhall, David Kirkpatrick) ...
In this fireside chat, we’ll be discussing how putting a new kind of intuition into the things we interact with isn’t just about making the devices ...