Freebie: Original Acorn 210Mb Hard Disc

In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of
old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original  210Mb hard
discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs.  It is now formatted F+
(long file names)  and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02
installation.  I could re-format it to F (as original) which
would leave it empty.  I have given it a long run on a Risc PC;
it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no
defects.

Does anyone want this drive for the cost of postage?  Email me at
the address below.

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK  bric at f2s dot com
bric-nospam (871)

On 12 Sep 2007 Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of
> old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original  210Mb hard
> discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs.  It is now formatted F+
> (long file names)  and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02
> installation.  I could re-format it to F (as original) which
> would leave it empty.  I have given it a long run on a Risc PC;
> it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no
> defects.

These drives are so far past their expected lifetime, don't rely
on them continuing to function.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
9/12/2007 9:08:00 PM
In article <22b15a214f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>,
   druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2007 Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of
> > old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original  210Mb hard
> > discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs.  It is now formatted F+
> > (long file names)  and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02
> > installation.  I could re-format it to F (as original) which
> > would leave it empty.  I have given it a long run on a Risc PC;
> > it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no
> > defects.

> These drives are so far past their expected lifetime, don't rely
> on them continuing to function.

> ---druck

Mr D.
As a knowledgeable person in the HD arena, what HD drive name/size would
you suggest for someone wanting to either replace an existing, or add
another to an Iyonix?

Thanks
Dave S

dfs (2099)
9/13/2007 5:59:26 AM
On 12-Sep-2007, druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2007 Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of
> > old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original  210Mb hard
> > discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs.  It is now formatted F+
> > (long file names)  and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02
> > installation.  I could re-format it to F (as original) which
> > would leave it empty.  I have given it a long run on a Risc PC;
> > it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no
> > defects.
>
> These drives are so far past their expected lifetime, don't rely
> on them continuing to function.

I can't disagree with that in theory except that experience indicates that
those old Conner 210A's seem to go on forever. I've got two in regular use,
one in my old A5000 which was transferred from my very first RiscPC 600 when
I fitted that with a huge 540 MB drive, and the other as a boot drive in the
RiscPC I used to bring to shows and which is in almost daily use driving a
printer. Both have had an incredible amount of use and are still error free.
I've also got a pile of them removed from ex school RPC's and they all work
perfectly.

I've no idea why this should be. Perhaps it's because they're so slow and
run so cool.

Funnily enough the 420A doesn't seem so robust. Don't know why, since it's
basically the same drive you'd think it would be as long lasting.

--
David Holden  -  APDL  -  <http://www.apdl.co.uk>
0
On 13 Sep 2007 Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> In article <22b15a214f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>,
>    druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On 12 Sep 2007 Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of
>>> old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original  210Mb hard
>>> discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs.

[snip]

>> These drives are so far past their expected lifetime, don't rely
>> on them continuing to function.

> As a knowledgeable person in the HD arena, what HD drive name/size would
> you suggest for someone wanting to either replace an existing, or add
> another to an Iyonix?

Well not 17 year old 210MB drives as shipped with the first Risc PCs.

I can't specifically recommend any one type of drive over any other,
for every manufacturer there's someone that will swear by them or at
them. Just make sure that you have a good back strategy up in place,
and relaise there is an increasing chance of failure after a drive is
5 years old.

Size on the Iyonix is easy, stick to 128GB as anything over will
revert to ~4MB/s PIO instead of 50+MB/s UDMA.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
9/13/2007 5:00:16 PM
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:00:16 +0100, druck wrote:

> there is an increasing chance of failure after a drive is
> 5 years old.

Recent research, and my own personal experience*, says quite the opposite:
If a drive lasts that long, it's likely to continue soldiering on for
another 15 unless it is mistreated.

I seem to recall that Google also finds this: Drives either die in the
first year, or rarely do at all.

B.

* Over my computing career, I have had perhaps 100 hard drives.  Only two
have failed, both of which were within warranty.  I still have a 120MB
Maxtor from 1992 in service.
0
nntp550 (4244)
9/13/2007 5:20:42 PM
On 13 Sep 2007 Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:00:16 +0100, druck wrote:

>> there is an increasing chance of failure after a drive is
>> 5 years old.

> Recent research, and my own personal experience*, says quite the opposite:
> If a drive lasts that long, it's likely to continue soldiering on for
> another 15 unless it is mistreated.

Well in RISC OS machines, ignore that advice at your risk.

> I seem to recall that Google also finds this: Drives either die in the
> first year, or rarely do at all.

An 24/7 powered server far is hardly representative of the typical
usage pattern of a RISC OS desktop machine.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
9/13/2007 6:18:20 PM
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:18:20 +0100, druck wrote:

> On 13 Sep 2007 Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:00:16 +0100, druck wrote:
>
>>> there is an increasing chance of failure after a drive is
>>> 5 years old.
>
>> Recent research, and my own personal experience*, says quite the opposite:
>> If a drive lasts that long, it's likely to continue soldiering on for
>> another 15 unless it is mistreated.
>
> Well in RISC OS machines, ignore that advice at your risk.

Why?  Will RISC OS be mistreating it?

>> I seem to recall that Google also finds this: Drives either die in the
>> first year, or rarely do at all.
>
> An 24/7 powered server far is hardly representative of the typical
> usage pattern of a RISC OS desktop machine.

I suppose this is true: you can't get RISC OS to stay up 24/7 reliably :)
0
nntp550 (4244)
9/13/2007 6:33:21 PM
On 13 Sep, 19:33, Rob Kendrick <n...@rjek.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:18:20 +0100, druck wrote:

> >> Recent research, and my own personal experience*, says quite the opposite:
> >> If a drive lasts that long, it's likely to continue soldiering on for
> >> another 15 unless it is mistreated.
>
> > Well in RISC OS machines, ignore that advice at your risk.
>
> Why?  Will RISC OS be mistreating it?

Not RISC OS, but the design of the RiscPC case. Airflow around
the harddisc is almost non-existant from new. Add in a few years
of dust and there will be no cooling.

> >> I seem to recall that Google also finds this: Drives either die in the
> >> first year, or rarely do at all.
>
> > An 24/7 powered server far is hardly representative of the typical
> > usage pattern of a RISC OS desktop machine.
>
> I suppose this is true: you can't get RISC OS to stay up 24/7 reliably :)

You might not be able to, but that doesn't mean that others
can't :-)

Aaron

0
atimbrell (584)
9/13/2007 8:15:56 PM
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:15:56 -0700, Aaron wrote:

>> Why?  Will RISC OS be mistreating it?
>
> Not RISC OS, but the design of the RiscPC case. Airflow around
> the harddisc is almost non-existant from new. Add in a few years
> of dust and there will be no cooling.

Ah, yes.  Allan Boothroyd is famed for designing the *outside* of
products, but not the inside.  I had thankfully removed from my mind just
how dire the RiscPC case design is, and how much wasted space there is.

>> > An 24/7 powered server far is hardly representative of the typical
>> > usage pattern of a RISC OS desktop machine.
>>
>> I suppose this is true: you can't get RISC OS to stay up 24/7 reliably :)
>
> You might not be able to, but that doesn't mean that others
> can't :-)

I suppose I could just turn it on and not touch it :)

B.
0
nntp550 (4244)
9/13/2007 8:41:23 PM
On 13 Sep 2007 Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:18:20 +0100, druck wrote:

>>> Recent research, and my own personal experience*, says quite the opposite:
>>> If a drive lasts that long, it's likely to continue soldiering on for
>>> another 15 unless it is mistreated.
>>
>> Well in RISC OS machines, ignore that advice at your risk.

> Why?  Will RISC OS be mistreating it?

Usage patterns and the thermal enviroment in the RPC.

>>> I seem to recall that Google also finds this: Drives either die in the
>>> first year, or rarely do at all.
>>
>> An 24/7 powered server far is hardly representative of the typical
>> usage pattern of a RISC OS desktop machine.

> I suppose this is true: you can't get RISC OS to stay up 24/7 reliably :)

No, its all about the number of power cycles.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
9/13/2007 10:02:44 PM
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:41:23 +0000, Rob Kendrick wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:15:56 -0700, Aaron wrote:
>
>>> Why?  Will RISC OS be mistreating it?
>>
>> Not RISC OS, but the design of the RiscPC case. Airflow around
>> the harddisc is almost non-existant from new. Add in a few years
>> of dust and there will be no cooling.
>
> Ah, yes.  Allan Boothroyd is famed for designing the *outside* of
> products, but not the inside.

Although I still think the BBC micro ports should have all been at
the back of the machine on two levels (as with the RML 480Z), rather
than half of them tucked away beneath the machine where they were a real
pig to get to :-(

I keep meaning to modify my workshop model B to be like that (the
potential problem being the length of the TUBE cabling needed - perhaps
that one's better off being a port on the right hand side of the machine
so there's only 3 inches or so of extra length on the cabling)

In message <cad8c7214f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> Size on the Iyonix is easy, stick to 128GB as anything over will
> revert to ~4MB/s PIO instead of 50+MB/s UDMA.

Isn't this just when the data is beyond the 128GB boundary?

--
Jess                   Iyonix
 Hotmail is my spam trap use this for reply:
          Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In message <cad8c7214f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>
> > Size on the Iyonix is easy, stick to 128GB as anything over will
> > revert to ~4MB/s PIO instead of 50+MB/s UDMA.
>
> Isn't this just when the data is beyond the 128GB boundary?
Yes.

I have a hard drive formatted to 160GB in my Iyonix. It only started
slowing down when the data on it went above 128GB.

I have a much faster 7200rpm 40GB hard drive for the main boot drive.
This is noticeably faster than not only the 160GB drive but faster than
the 5400rpm drive my Iyonix shipped with.

Cheers
Stan

--
http://mistymornings.net
In message <11a3a0224f.news@casema.nl>
          News poster <mistymornings@casema.nl> wrote:

> In message <588d9a224f.jess@itworkshop.invalid>
>           Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In message <cad8c7214f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Size on the Iyonix is easy, stick to 128GB as anything over will
>> > revert to ~4MB/s PIO instead of 50+MB/s UDMA.
>>
>> Isn't this just when the data is beyond the 128GB boundary?
> Yes.
>
> I have a hard drive formatted to 160GB in my Iyonix. It only started
> slowing down when the data on it went above 128GB.

Am I right in thinking that the main directory is in the middle of the
disk and the files are placed around that. So the slowdown wouldn't be
quite so noticable but would effect far sooner.

does DMA have an overhead like on the Risc PC? if so then clever
allocation of where to put files could result in an speed improvement.

--
Jess                   Iyonix
 Hotmail is my spam trap use this for reply:
  mailto:nospam@jess.itworkshop-nexus.net   or
  http://jess.itworkshop-nexus.net
0
phantasm_39 (2515)
9/15/2007 9:05:36 AM
On 15 Sep 2007 Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In message <cad8c7214f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

>> Size on the Iyonix is easy, stick to 128GB as anything over will
>> revert to ~4MB/s PIO instead of 50+MB/s UDMA.

> Isn't this just when the data is beyond the 128GB boundary?

Yes. Due to the way FileCore distributes data this may occur when
far less than 128GB of data has been stored. So if do have a larger
HD, its worth only formatting it to 128GB.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
9/15/2007 12:42:53 PM
On 15 Sep 2007 Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In message <11a3a0224f.news@casema.nl>
>           News poster <mistymornings@casema.nl> wrote:
>> I have a hard drive formatted to 160GB in my Iyonix. It only started
>> slowing down when the data on it went above 128GB.

> Am I right in thinking that the main directory is in the middle of the
> disk and the files are placed around that. So the slowdown wouldn't be
> quite so noticable but would effect far sooner.

Yes, FileCore fills from the middle outwards, so there is as little
stepping as possible between the map stored in the middle, and the
files surrounding it. It also has various optimisations to place
random access files which may grow away from while file op (fixed
length) files, and to allocate continues zones to very large files.
Therefor the inner and outer parts of the disc may be used long
before the disc has more than 128GB.

> does DMA have an overhead like on the Risc PC? if so then clever
> allocation of where to put files could result in an speed improvement.

PIO is still quicker for very small accesses such as under 4K, but
UDMA is vastly quicker for larger files.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
9/15/2007 12:47:01 PM
In message <2055b8224f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 15 Sep 2007 Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> In message <11a3a0224f.news@casema.nl>
>>           News poster <mistymornings@casema.nl> wrote:
>>> I have a hard drive formatted to 160GB in my Iyonix. It only started
>>> slowing down when the data on it went above 128GB.
>
>> Am I right in thinking that the main directory is in the middle of the
>> disk and the files are placed around that. So the slowdown wouldn't be
>> quite so noticable but would effect far sooner.
>
> Yes, FileCore fills from the middle outwards, so there is as little
> stepping as possible between the map stored in the middle, and the
> files surrounding it. It also has various optimisations to place
> random access files which may grow away from while file op (fixed
> length) files, and to allocate continues zones to very large files.
> Therefor the inner and outer parts of the disc may be used long
> before the disc has more than 128GB.

Presumably it is only the outer that runs at PIO? Which means that
half the file access (on average) would be slowed down.

>> does DMA have an overhead like on the Risc PC? if so then clever
>> allocation of where to put files could result in an speed improvement.
>
> PIO is still quicker for very small accesses such as under 4K, but
> UDMA is vastly quicker for larger files.

So would it be possible to skew it so that small files got placed in
the side that does PIO and large files ended in the UDMA side?

--
Jess                   Iyonix
 Hotmail is my spam trap use this for reply:
  mailto:nospam@jess.itworkshop-nexus.net   or
  http://jess.itworkshop-nexus.net
0
phantasm_39 (2515)
9/15/2007 5:48:22 PM
On 15 Sep 2007 Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In message <2055b8224f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

>> Yes, FileCore fills from the middle outwards,

> Presumably it is only the outer that runs at PIO? Which means that
> half the file access (on average) would be slowed down.

Less than half, but why have any. Only use 128GB, and if you need more
storage, get another drive.

>> PIO is still quicker for very small accesses such as under 4K, but
>> UDMA is vastly quicker for larger files.

> So would it be possible to skew it so that small files got placed in
> the side that does PIO and large files ended in the UDMA side?

No, there is no way to control this.

---druck

news5843 (7461)

FS: Misc Acorn (and non-Acorn) hardware
Like Peter Naulls yesterday, I'm trying to get rid of my remaining Risc PC and the related hardware. I've put them on eBay. The Acorn-specific items are: Acorn Risc PC StrongARM 233 MHz + Power-tec SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202188067 i-cubed EtherLan600 for Acorn Risc PC/A7000 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202186713 Acorn Risc PC power supply, backplane and screws http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202185817 RISC OS Select http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202184767 STD PS2Mouse for Acorn Risc PC http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202183392 Acorn MEU + Plextor PlexWriter RW 4220 internal SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202182624 Graphic tablet PaintPal Deluxe http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202181086 The rest is not Acorn-specific but was connected to either a Risc PC or a Iyonix and therefore may be of interest here as well: Mitsumi FA402M 3.5" Floppy and 7in1 Media Drive http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202179719 Sony 3.5" Floppy MPF 920 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202177159 ELSA MicroLink ISDN 4U Router/Hub http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5777800061 Iomega ZIP 100 Drive external SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202173954 HP ScanJet 3c SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...

Acorn Publisher / Acorn User / Qercus
By now some people should have received their copy of Qercus - ie issue 268 of Acorn User or vol 10 issue 1 of Acorn Publisher. The additional printing numbers and distribution is new to us so we're not sure how long it will take to get to all subscribers or to be available in the shops. Some bulk mailings to overseas customers may not go until next week. Our experience so far with the database we inherited from Tau Press is that some customers will receive duplicate copies of the magazine whilst others will not receive one at all. We have been working hard to put right as many errors as we could identify but we know there are still some problems remaining. If you receive an extra issue will you please let us know and tell us which reference numbers are on the two (three/four!) labels so that we can put it right for next time. Please don't return any copies - donate duplicates to a friend, library, dentist/doctor's waiting room &c If you don't receive your copy (UK) then please do not let us know until the middle of next week; we have arranged to do *another* sweep of the database after the SW Show and may have sorted out outstanding problems by the time you call. Whilst far-flung Acorn User subscribers should receive their copies faster than before they should give it an extra week at least before reporting non-receipt. For this occasion reminders have been sent separately from the magazine and should have already been received by UK subscribers who n...

Acorn NC or Acorn NetStation, looking for one.
I am looking for an Acorn NC with ethernet interface! If someone has one, please let me know, and a reasonable price. Complete, with the remote and etc! Thanks! Leonardo leonardo@editek.com In message <1192995978.255456.168910@y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com> leonardo.cohen@gmail.com wrote: > I am looking for an Acorn NC with ethernet interface! If someone has > one, please let me know, and a reasonable price. Complete, with the > remote and etc! I shall be eBaying an NC with ethernet, but no remote, fairly shortly, possibly in the next few weeks. Alan -- RISC OS - you know it makes cents ...

Acorn original games
Were there any original games first programmed for Acorns that made it to other platforms? -- One of the de Cordova family The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it. In message <4d3fddc7bbdecordova@ukgateway.net> someone <decordova@ukgateway.net> wrote: > Were there any original games first programmed for Acorns that made > it to other platforms? > I believe Manchester United Europe did (by Krisalis from what I remember), although whether the Acorn version came first or not I'm not sure. Alex. -- E-mail: a...

Some Acorn user discs
Hello, I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth anything to anyone out there? I haven't decided what to do with them yet, but if no one in my immediate circle can find a use for them, perhaps someone else might offer something for them. W.Simpson In article <JMjXc.415$Ch2.349@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, W.Simpson <simpsons.dot.box@ntlworld.dot.com> wrote: > Hello, > I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which > need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth an...

Qercus (Acorn User / Acorn Publisher) binders
The new Qercus binders will be available within 2 weeks and we're taking orders now. They are available in dark blue with the Qercus logo in gold on the spine. The binders will match previous Acorn Publisher binders but will hold 14 copies of the magazine so Qercus readers will have a spare string for notes and indexes whilst Acorn Publisher readers will have room for two years' issues including two annual special issues of Qercus. Qercus is well-worth collecting so order your binder today. Binders will cost 8.95 each inc UK postage and may (just) be available at Wakefield. Until the end of May new subscribers starting their subscription with issue 268, and ordering a binder at the same time, will receive their first issue free. ie UK subscription + binder = 49.95 + 8.95 = 58.90 for year's subscription from issue 269 with issue 268 free. Orders should be sent to "Finnybank Ltd" 30 Finnybank Road Sale M33 6LR or by phone to 0161 969 9820. Cheques or cards can be accepted. Binders and magazines will be despatched together as soon as the binders are available. -- John Cartmell editor Qercus - editor@qercus.com www.qercus.com Qercus: a fusion of Acorn Publisher & Acorn User magazines one magazine for graphics & design - one magazine for all RISC OS users Finnybank Ltd 30 Finnybank Rd Sale M33 6LR == 0161 969 9820 _______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.anno...

Acorn RISCOS Freebies
I have been sorting out some Acorn-related detritus, which is destined for the skip unless someone says they want any of it before Monday 22nd December. All items are available 'as-seen' -- untested, and therefore free-of-charge -- for collection/delivery in SE-England by arrangement. Krisalis 'Quest for Gold' CC Intersheet CC TurboDrivers (Canon Bubblejet) CC Impression Style CC Compression Minerva Easiword SBASE2 Prophet 3 Ant Internet Suite v2.xx Acorn PC Emulator (with DR-DOS and it's manual) ArcFax RISC OS3 User Guide / Applications Guide AKJ47 x3 RiscPC Welcome Gui...

FA: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor
For Auction on eBay: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor British Broadcasting Corporation Microcomputer System Processor: ARM 3 Memory: 8 MB Hard Disc: 350 MB Podules: Design IT E500 Access+ (Ethernet 10Base2) Oak SCSI Interface Watford Electronics Scanner Peripherals: 3-button mouse Original keyboard with extension cable Watford Electronics Hand Scanner Monitor: Acorn AKF50 with mains connection to A310 and 9/15 adapter. Slight superficial damage to monitor case. Used to be in daily use. Needed only fresh AA batteries (for CMOS RAM) to overcome a year of non-use. Buyer arranges collection. Payment: cash on collection <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acorn-Archimedes-A310_W0QQitemZ8804993118QQcategoryZ4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> -- * Sick of BT? Leave them and reduce your phone bill by up to half. * Want a spam-proof Usenet address? Visit www.invalid.org.uk or email me: postmaster at invalid dot org dot uk * (tim@invalid.org.uk is deleted - please use my valid address above) .... "Thy glass will show thee how thy beauties wear, thy dial how thy precious minutes waste" Sonnet 77 ...

Original Acorn Mouse
Hi, (Away from my Iyonix at the moment so hope posting via Google Groups is acceptable) I've broken two pins of an original Acorn quadrature mouse. I was wondering whether this is repairable (since they seem to be quite rare now) or whether I should throw the mouse away. Or would anyone want it in the state it's in to try to fix in their own time? Many thanks for reading, Kevin Melling. On 2-Oct-2011, Kevin Melling <kmelling@aaug.net> wrote: > I've broken two pins of an original Acorn quadrature mouse. I was > wondering whether this is repairable (since they seem to be quite rare > now) or whether I should throw the mouse away. > > Or would anyone want it in the state it's in to try to fix in their > own time? I'd certainly love to have it. I frequently get people asking me for replacement mice or to repair their existing one and I have a large box of assorted bits for that purpose. Would be very happy to pay postage etc. -- David Holden - APDL - <http://www.apdl.co.uk> Kevin Melling <kmelling@aaug.net> wrote: > I've broken two pins of an original Acorn quadrature mouse. I was > wondering whether this is repairable (since they seem to be quite rare > now) or whether I should throw the mouse away. You can repair it by fitting a new plug. That means soldering on the 9 connections. One caveat is to make sure the new plug is fairly slim - the space between the socket and the bottom of the RPC...

Problems posting to acorn.hardware
Hi, I've posted a few things to acorn.hardware in the last few days but I was surprised to get no follow ups from the normal helpful people who contribute regularly. Checking on google.groups it doesn't look as if any of my posts have got through - I have a local copy whicy presumably gets added by MessengerPro. Is there any problem posting to this group at the moment? -- andrew.mcmullon@tesco.net In article <92d606294d.andy@andrew.mcmullon@tesco.net>, Andy McMullon <andrew.mcmullon@tesco.net> wrote: > Hi, > I've posted a few things to acorn.hardware in the last few days but I > was surprised to get no follow ups from the normal helpful people who > contribute regularly. > Checking on google.groups it doesn't look as if any of my posts have > got through - I have a local copy whicy presumably gets added by > MessengerPro. > Is there any problem posting to this group at the moment? Three items from you since Jan 2nd. (One of those was a repeat of an earlier query about KVM kit) Those items appeared OK. Maybe the people who could answer aren't around at the moment, winter sun holiday perhaps? Gone off to work in one of the countries around the Indian Ocean. Whatever. On 6 Jan 2005 Andy McMullon <andrew.mcmullon@tesco.net> wrote: > I've posted a few things to acorn.hardware in the last few days but I > was surprised to get no follow ups from the normal helpful people who > contribute regul...

FS: Misc Acorn hardware
i-cubed EtherLan 600: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101336155 IBM 586 (100 MHz) card: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101337088 RISC OS 3.50: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101348173 RISC OS 4.02: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101349126 Risc PC: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101360766 StrongARM card: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101361862 Texas Instruments 486-SLC (40 MHz): http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101363515 Everything in good, near perfect condition unless stated otherwise. I'm selling from Germany, but I'll deliver to UK as well. Oversea on request. Please get in touch for shipping cost in those cases. -- Stefan Bellon On 10 Jun, I wrote: > StrongARM card: > http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101361862 I announced this offer without RISC OS 3.70 ROMs because I didn't find the ones belonging to the card. In the meantime I have found them. This offer will include the RISC OS 3.70 ROM set. -- Stefan Bellon ...

FS: All manner of Acorn Hardware
Hi all I'm loosing my room at my parents, which means my collection of Acorn stuff has to go! This includes but is not limited to some of the following; A5000, standard, old college machine A3000, with external hard drive and a 5 1/4" floppy disc (this machine i love, grew up with it but have no where to put it), also has a network card RISC PC 700, another ex college one, works, think i might have put a strong arm and PC card in it. Acorn electron, with tapes and two power supplies Star dot matrix printer for the acorn, includes at least one ink ribbon All kinds of miscellaneous hard ware for a BBC b/master including; CUB monitor, various tape decks and modems, floppy drives Pile of Acorn User magazines (about 30 of) Bigger pile of manuals, probably in the region of 20 manuals and software packs Miscellaneous boxes of software on low density floppies See the following for piccies, this is not everything, and not everything pictured is available http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/vannystick/ Would prefer for the whole lot to go in one go but don't expect it, and I would like to see token gestures of cash for them. Not able to post at the moment, located on the Wirral but can also be collected from Liverpool with sufficient warning. Needs to go in the next two weeks, so offered here, then eBay, then the tip! I'd have thought ebay would be best as there has not been that much Acorn/RISC OS stuff on there for a while, so prices should be good. Also, if ...

Hard disk for Acorn A3000
Hi, Please can anyone tell me where I can get a new or second-hand hard disk for my A3000 from? I read article in the Acorn User about A3000, and I'm therefore interested although I don't really know how easy it is to fit one. Regards Paolo Paolo Borzini wrote: > Hi, > Please can anyone tell me where I can get a new or second-hand > hard disk for my A3000 from? > I read article in the Acorn User about A3000, > and I'm therefore interested although I don't > really know how easy it is to fit one. > Any old 2 1/2" HDD will do, the sort for laptops. You'll want a smallish one though, 512Mb Max I believe. You'll also need a 2 1/2" cable. Cheers, -- Russ Tarbox Remove THELID to reply by e-mail In article <403a2e5e$0$16927$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>, Russ Tarbox <russ-ebay@THELIDuserve.co.uk> wrote: > Any old 2 1/2" HDD will do, the sort for laptops. > You'll want a smallish one though, 512Mb Max I believe. You'll also need > a 2 1/2" cable. You forgot about the IDE filing system and interface, Russ. Only the A3020 has inbuilt support, the 3000 and 3010 will require an interface card of some sort. Hope this is of some help, John -- John Williams, Wirral, Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses! change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention! Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/ In message <2a057948.0402230652.da56c4...

Selling original Acorn Games
Hello guys, I have a bunch of old Acorn games here, I think Pandora's Box, Black Angel, and Zool. I don't even know if they work :( becuase I don't own an Archimedes/RISC PC anymore. Is there a market for these second hand games (given that they're very piecemeal and without their boxes...) Where is it appropriate to advertise and sell these games? To be honest, I'd happily send them to people for the cost of postage. Thanks for your help, Fluffy I guess no-one's interested, I'll bin them ;-) Pity. Fluffy In article <1126289507.373963.157780@...

Acorn Electron hardware wanted
Folks Forgive what may be an intrusion but if anyone is prepared to sell any Acorn Electron hardware in particular an (original L-shaped) Acorn Plus 3, please reply to this. Cheers On 20 Jan 2006 as I do recall, JCC wrote: > Folks > > Forgive what may be an intrusion but if anyone is prepared to sell any Acorn > Electron hardware in particular an (original L-shaped) Acorn Plus 3, please > reply to this. > These are the correct groups, but comp.sys.acorn.hardware might be even better... :-) -- Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie == ...

Acorns fall next to the tree [Acorn stuff on ebuy UK]
I usually don't surf Acorns, but I noticed some on ebuy. Acorn RiscOS 3.5 ROMs - no reserve Acorn 486 Co-processor card - no reserve Acorn Arm610 processor card - no reserve ...

FA: Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor #2
For Auction on eBay (Less than 20 hours to go): Acorn Archimedes A310 and Acorn AKF50 Monitor British Broadcasting Corporation Microcomputer System Processor: ARM 3 Memory: 8 MB Hard Disc: 350 MB Podules: Design IT E500 Access+ (Ethernet 10Base2) Oak SCSI Interface Watford Electronics Scanner Peripherals: 3-button mouse Original keyboard with extension cable Watford Electronics Hand Scanner Monitor: Acorn AKF50 with mains connection to A310 and 9/15 adapter. Slight superficial damage to monitor case. Used to be in daily use. Needed only fresh AA batteries (for CMOS RAM) to overcome a year of non-use. Buyer arranges collection. Payment: cash on collection <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acorn-Archimedes-A310_W0QQitemZ8804993118QQcategoryZ4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> ...

How to replace original Acorn Electron PSU?
Hi all, just wanted to know what other PSU's (ie in watt and amp sense) will be OK as a replacement for original Acorn Electron Power Supply Unit? Thanks for your help. (to reply, please delete DEL in e-mail address) On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:49:38 +0100 gilian <gilian@lycosDEL.com> wrote: > > just wanted to know what other PSU's (ie in watt and amp sense) will > be OK as a replacement for original Acorn Electron Power Supply Unit? equal or greater. its an AC brick IIRC too, not DC (check that - its from 10 year old memory). The voltage must be the same. -- Spyros lair: http://www.mnementh.co.uk/ |||| Maintainer: arm26 linux Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup. gilian <gilian@lycosdel.com> wrote: > Hi all, > just wanted to know what other PSU's (ie in watt and amp sense) will be > OK as a replacement for original Acorn Electron Power Supply Unit? It is, I think, a 19V AC PSU. So any mains transformer capable of producing 19V AC or thereabouts should work - at something like 1A (I'm guessing that figure). My ex-jumble-sale Electron came with a bare mains transformer loose in a cardboard box - mmm, safety... But it worked. Theo -- Theo Markettos theo@markettos.org.uk Liphook, Hampshire, UK theom@chiark.greenend.org.uk http://www.markettos.org.uk/ Taken from the Label on said transformer; INPUT : 220/240V~50Hz OU...

Wanted: Original Acorn Electron Plus 3
Hi Guys - new to this ng. If anyone is willing to sell an original (L-shaped) working Acorn Electron Plus 3 (with power supply), please email sunstormrider@hotmail.com and put "Acorn Electron Plus 3" in the subject line so I don't delete it as spam. I've just seen an Electron, Plus 1 and Plus 3 go for over 60 quid on ebay. To me, this seems a ridiculous price for something that's 20 years out of date. Personally I want one for nostalgic reasons but I wouldn't go as high as 60 quid. If someone can supply one for around 30-40 I'd be interested. (Quid=UK pounds and I guess for simplicity I'm looking at UK sellers only) Cheers Rob On 17 May 2005 Jules <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Plus 3's don't seem at all common - anyone know how many were made? > Despite all the other Acorn odds and ends I've come across over the years > I've never found a Plus 3 (and only seen one real live one). Electrons on > the other hand are common as dirt. Well it was very expensive for just a disc drive - and a 3.5" one which was obviously incompatible with the 5.25" discs everyone was using on the Beeb, or anything else at that time, as the Master Compact was several years away. I like quite a few other people opted for an STL disc interface which plugged in to one of the cartridge slots on the Plus One, and allowed the connection of a standard 5.25" drive. Which you could format in...

Misc Acorn/BBC Hardware/Software up for free.
Hi Guys, I have been a keen retro computing enthusiast for as long as I can remember however I have no come to a point where I can no longer store the stuff I have. I have been slowly but surely giving things away over the last few year. I still have quite a few bits which as I uncover them whilst sorting the loft/garage/cupboards etc, I am starting to list and wondered if you or people you know might be interested in any of it. So I guess comes the shameless plug as I am listing it on my 'free to a good home' site called AnyGoodToYou.com where we have specifically set up a section for Vintage / classic hardware. Hope you can help as I really don't want this stuff to end up at the local WEEE dump. Cheers Allan ...

USB/PS2 mouse versus original Acorn
My usual setup is a cordless mouse (USB or PS2) fed via an ST adaptor to my RPC. Which works just fine for normal things. But when using Draw, the original Acorn mouse seems to have better 'resolution' so is easier to use. Any way round this? -- *If you think this van is dirty, you should try having sex with the driver* Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. ...

Acorn Hard & Software for sale
Programmes Computer Concepts Fireworkz TurboDriver WordWorks Compression Borders Equasor Style Fireworkz PC version Lingenuity Presenter GTi Dalriada DiagramIt TableMate2 ISV DrawWorks 2 XStitch Iota Outliner Desktop database Risc Hard Disc Companion FontFoundry 4000 Fonts Disc Sibelius Music prog 6 Assorted 150 + shareware & magazine floppies ? StrongArm CDRom Educational ? Kid Pix 2 floppy art prog ? The Spoken Word 2 floppy ? Genesis ? Magpie Hardware Acorn ARM 710 Upgrade Acorn RiscOS 3.5 chips In article <buu9kk$5dl$1@titan.btinternet.com>, Richard Brown <URL:mailto:rs.brown@btinternet.com> wrote: > Programmes > > Computer C...

Copy files from Acorn Risc Hard Drive to PC ?
I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector in a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? Thanks for any help. Regards In message <Xns9AB8B56D879FCisissoft@193.202.122.104> Isis <isissoft@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote: > I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old > Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector in > a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? In outline, you'll either need to plug the drive into a RISC OS computer, or into a PC chassis running Linux, with an add-on to read the files. As far as I know you can't read them under Windows. (There might be something related to Red Squirrel/Virtual Acorn, but i suspect you'd need the emulator for that to work.) no doubt you'll get more precise/accurate answers soon. -- Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk http://www.nckc.org.uk/ On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:50:16 +0000, Isis wrote: > I have been asked by a friend to rescue some sibelius files from an old > Acorn Risc hard drive - can I just plug this onto a normal IDE connector > in a PC and copy them from within Windows ? Or is there some other way ? Windows does not support the file system that RISC OS, Acorn's operating system, uses - let along the par...

FA: Acorn Atom + disc pack, colour, ROMs etc.
L.S. For those interested in archaic machines: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8128519216&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:UK:1 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8128520625&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:UK:1 I've got more stuff, like a boxed Elset colour card, some software (duplicate and non-duplicate), and a AXR1 utility pack (ROM+original manual & tape). Some of it I might put on ebay, but I'm open to trade suggestions for BBC stuff. I'm especially interested in Acornsoft disk games. Regards, Wouter -- BBC/Atom/magazine scans: http...

Web resources about - Freebie: Original Acorn 210Mb Hard Disc - comp.sys.acorn.hardware