Getting a new RiscOS PC?

Hi all,

I was just browsing the Iyonix website and there do not seem to be any
computers for sale there.

Is it still possible to buy a new RiscOS computer?

Johann -- who has no immediate plans to buy one, it's just a long term
          wish.

P.S. Apolagies if this is the wrong group to ask.
0
johann (33)

Unfortunately, Castle ceased production in 2008:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.acorn.announce/browse_thread/thread/81c090cf7044c893/de5682774f2bc2e2

But there are other options, including:
- the A9;
- RISCube, RISCBook (RISC OS emulation);
- secondhand Iyonix or RiscPC (either from a dealer or via ebay);
- new hardware port (RISC OS Open).

You might also be interested in attending an upcoming RISC OS show,
where you should be able to see some or all of the above for yourself.
- http://waug.org.uk/
- http://wakefieldshow.org.uk/
0
trevj1 (328)
1/29/2010 7:56:20 AM
In message <6e94eb89-f7a6-46c4-9d2f-7eb4e18e8c72@c4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>
          trevj <trevj@cwazy.co.uk> wrote:

> Unfortunately, Castle ceased production in 2008:
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.acorn.announce/browse_thread/thread/81c090cf7044c893/de5682774f2bc2e2
>
> But there are other options, including:
> - the A9;
> - RISCube, RISCBook (RISC OS emulation);
> - secondhand Iyonix or RiscPC (either from a dealer or via ebay);
> - new hardware port (RISC OS Open).

There is, I gather, a new ARM computer on the market.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 8:49:10 AM
In article <ba5020e150%Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk>,
   Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <6e94eb89-f7a6-46c4-9d2f-7eb4e18e8c72@c4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>
>           trevj <trevj@cwazy.co.uk> wrote:

> > Unfortunately, Castle ceased production in 2008:
> > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.acorn.announce/browse_thread/thread/81c090cf7044c893/de5682774f2bc2e2
> >
> > But there are other options, including:
> > - the A9;
> > - RISCube, RISCBook (RISC OS emulation);
> > - secondhand Iyonix or RiscPC (either from a dealer or via ebay);
> > - new hardware port (RISC OS Open).
> >

> There is, I gather, a new ARM computer on the market.

You're surely not hinting . . .     Really?

Michael Harding
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding   riscos@mdharding.org.uk

0
riscos (246)
1/29/2010 9:31:23 AM
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:49:10 +0000
Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> There is, I gather, a new ARM computer on the market.

This happens daily.

B.
0
nntp550 (4244)
1/29/2010 9:32:13 AM
In message <20100129093213.4a4ff45f@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
          Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:49:10 +0000
> Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > There is, I gather, a new ARM computer on the market.
>
> This happens daily.
>
> B.

Really, a new�model every day?

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 9:43:40 AM
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:43:40 +0000
Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <20100129093213.4a4ff45f@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
>           Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:
>=20
> > On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:49:10 +0000
> > Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >=20
> > > There is, I gather, a new ARM computer on the market.
> >=20
> > This happens daily.
>
> Really, a new=C2=A0model every day?

I don't doubt it.=20

B.

0
nntp550 (4244)
1/29/2010 9:57:47 AM
In message <20100129095747.09a6e8e0@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
          Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:43:40 +0000
> Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In message <20100129093213.4a4ff45f@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
> >           Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:
> >=20
> > > On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:49:10 +0000
> > > Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > This happens daily.
> >
> > Really, a new=C2=A0model every day?
>
> I don't doubt it.=20

More twaddle.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 10:24:08 AM
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:24:08 +0000

> > > Really, a new model every day?
> >
> > I don't doubt it.
> >
> More twaddle.

Would you like to back that up, or are you referring to what you said?
Just look at all the ARM-based computer systems demonstrated/announced
at just one recent trade show (CES), or any of the embedded devices
news sites (like Linux Devices).  Now realise that the majority of such
devices don't get enough media attention for them to be easily found.

B.

0
nntp550 (4244)
1/29/2010 10:51:54 AM
In message <20100129105154.412296ad@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
          Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> > > I don't doubt it.
> > >
> > More twaddle.
>
> Would you like to back that up, or are you referring to what you said?
> Just look at all the ARM-based computer systems demonstrated/announced
> at just one recent trade show (CES), or any of the embedded devices
> news sites (like Linux Devices).  Now realise that the majority of such
> devices don't get enough media attention for them to be easily found.

Oh come on, how many new models get released on Christmas Day?

Sorry, could not resist winding you up given your well known lack of a sense
of humour.

I was really waiting for someone to ask if you could get RISCOS to run on an
iPad.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 11:16:35 AM
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:16:35 +0000
Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > > More twaddle.
> >
> > Would you like to back that up, or are you referring to what you
> > said? Just look at all the ARM-based computer systems
> > demonstrated/announced at just one recent trade show (CES), or any
> > of the embedded devices news sites (like Linux Devices).  Now
> > realise that the majority of such devices don't get enough media
> > attention for them to be easily found.
>
> Oh come on, how many new models get released on Christmas Day?

All the ones produced in and for non-Christian countries?  Taiwan,
China and Japan produce loads of stuff all year round.  In fact, in
2008, over 2000 new chips using ARM CPU cores were designed.  Even if
each chip were only used in one product (which is far from reality),
then on average they'd be many released each day.

> Sorry, could not resist winding you up given your well known lack of
> a sense of humour.

I have a well developed sense of humour, as anybody who knows me will
tell you.  It's just that you're not funny. :)

> I was really waiting for someone to ask if you could get RISCOS to
> run on an iPad.

I doubt it strongly.  And why would you want to, anyway?  The GUI's
completely inappropriate and the battery life would suck.

B.

0
nntp550 (4244)
1/29/2010 11:46:02 AM
In message <20100129114602.3b14bfcc@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
          Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> > > Would you like to back that up, or are you referring to what you
> > > said? Just look at all the ARM-based computer systems
> > > demonstrated/announced at just one recent trade show (CES), or any
> > > of the embedded devices news sites (like Linux Devices).  Now
> > > realise that the majority of such devices don't get enough media
> > > attention for them to be easily found.
> >
> > Oh come on, how many new models get released on Christmas Day?
>
> All the ones produced in and for non-Christian countries?  Taiwan,
> China and Japan produce loads of stuff all year round.  In fact, in
> 2008, over 2000 new chips using ARM CPU cores were designed.  Even if
> each chip were only used in one product (which is far from reality),
> then on average they'd be many released each day.

These are all computers as recognised by the average man in the street?  No I
thought not.

> > Sorry, could not resist winding you up given your well known lack of
> > a sense of humour.
>
> I have a well developed sense of humour, as anybody who knows me will
> tell you.  It's just that you're not funny. :)
>
> > I was really waiting for someone to ask if you could get RISCOS to
> > run on an iPad.
>
> I doubt it strongly.  And why would you want to, anyway?  The GUI's
> completely inappropriate and the battery life would suck.

I rest my case, no sense of humour.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 12:19:22 PM
In article <fd8e33e150%Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk>,
   Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > All the ones produced in and for non-Christian countries?  Taiwan,
> > China and Japan produce loads of stuff all year round.  In fact, in
> > 2008, over 2000 new chips using ARM CPU cores were designed.  Even if
> > each chip were only used in one product (which is far from reality),
> > then on average they'd be many released each day.

> These are all computers as recognised by the average man in the street?
> No I thought not.

Bit like a RISC OS one, then.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
0
dave137 (3026)
1/29/2010 12:39:23 PM
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:19:22 +0000
Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Oh come on, how many new models get released on Christmas Day?
> >
> > All the ones produced in and for non-Christian countries?  Taiwan,
> > China and Japan produce loads of stuff all year round.  In fact, in
> > 2008, over 2000 new chips using ARM CPU cores were designed.  Even
> > if each chip were only used in one product (which is far from
> > reality), then on average they'd be many released each day.
>
> These are all computers as recognised by the average man in the
> street?  No I thought not.

A large proportion.  Of course, if you want to retract your statement
and replace it with "Something that the computer illiterate would call
a computer has just been released", then go for it.

B.
0
nntp550 (4244)
1/29/2010 12:40:07 PM
In message <50e1356466dave@davenoise.co.uk>
          "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <fd8e33e150%Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk>,
>    Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > > All the ones produced in and for non-Christian countries?  Taiwan,
> > > China and Japan produce loads of stuff all year round.  In fact, in
> > > 2008, over 2000 new chips using ARM CPU cores were designed.  Even if
> > > each chip were only used in one product (which is far from reality),
> > > then on average they'd be many released each day.
>
> > These are all computers as recognised by the average man in the street?
> > No I thought not.
>
> Bit like a RISC OS one, then.

You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 1:01:03 PM
In message <20100129124007.3e58d662@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
          Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> > > All the ones produced in and for non-Christian countries?  Taiwan,
> > > China and Japan produce loads of stuff all year round.  In fact, in
> > > 2008, over 2000 new chips using ARM CPU cores were designed.  Even
> > > if each chip were only used in one product (which is far from
> > > reality), then on average they'd be many released each day.
> >
> > These are all computers as recognised by the average man in the
> > street?  No I thought not.
>
> A large proportion.  Of course, if you want to retract your statement
> and replace it with "Something that the computer illiterate would call
> a computer has just been released", then go for it.

You are an arrogant little 5*&^(*^(, aren't you?

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 1:03:23 PM
In article <ae9637e150%Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk>,
   Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <20100129124007.3e58d662@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
>           Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> > > These are all computers as recognised by the average man in the
> > > street?  No I thought not.
> >
> > A large proportion.  Of course, if you want to retract your statement
> > and replace it with "Something that the computer illiterate would call
> > a computer has just been released", then go for it.
> >

> You are an arrogant little 5*&^(*^(, aren't you?

Think Rob is quite correct. You should have said RISC OS computer rather
than ARM in the post Rob first replied to.

And most of the people I know talk about PC, laptop or notebook etc. Don't
ever say computer.

--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
0
dave137 (3026)
1/29/2010 1:21:07 PM
In message <50e13935c2dave@davenoise.co.uk>
          "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <ae9637e150%Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk>,
>    Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > In message <20100129124007.3e58d662@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
> >           Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> > > A large proportion.  Of course, if you want to retract your statement
> > > and replace it with "Something that the computer illiterate would call
> > > a computer has just been released", then go for it.
> > >

> > You are an arrogant little 5*&^(*^(, aren't you?
>
> Think Rob is quite correct. You should have said RISC OS computer rather
> than ARM in the post Rob first replied to.

Why?  I wasn't referring to a RISC OS computer.

> And most of the people I know talk about PC, laptop or notebook etc. Don't
> ever say computer.

Most people I know would recognise all those as sub-classes of the genus
computer.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 1:39:58 PM
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:03:23 +0000
Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > A large proportion.  Of course, if you want to retract your
> > statement and replace it with "Something that the computer
> > illiterate would call a computer has just been released", then go
> > for it.
>
> You are an arrogant little 5*&^(*^(, aren't you?

Nice style of argument, there.  Or was this another "joke" ?

B.
0
nntp550 (4244)
1/29/2010 2:15:05 PM
In message <20100129141505.1fb85b4c@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
          Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:03:23 +0000
> Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > A large proportion.  Of course, if you want to retract your
> > > statement and replace it with "Something that the computer
> > > illiterate would call a computer has just been released", then go
> > > for it.
> >
> > You are an arrogant little 5*&^(*^(, aren't you?
>
> Nice style of argument, there.  Or was this another "joke" ?

As you appear to be referring to Steve Jobs as computer illiterate  I think
it is a very appropriate style of arguement.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 2:34:36 PM
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:34:36 +0000
Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <20100129141505.1fb85b4c@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
>           Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> > > You are an arrogant little 5*&^(*^(, aren't you?
> >
> > Nice style of argument, there.  Or was this another "joke" ?
> >
> As you appear to be referring to Steve Jobs as computer illiterate  I
> think it is a very appropriate style of arguement.

Please tell me where you got this apparition from.  You're the first
person to mention his name, and I don't see how it's related at all.

B.
0
nntp550 (4244)
1/29/2010 2:48:19 PM
In article <44f03ae150%Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk>,
   Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > Think Rob is quite correct. You should have said RISC OS computer
> > rather than ARM in the post Rob first replied to.

> Why?  I wasn't referring to a RISC OS computer.

Sorry. My fault for assuming you were replying to the topic so early in
a thread.

> > And most of the people I know talk about PC, laptop or notebook etc.
> > Don't ever say computer.
> >

> Most people I know would recognise all those as sub-classes of the genus
> computer.

They would recognise them as such. But you seemed to be pedantic about
what things are called in practice.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
0
dave137 (3026)
1/29/2010 3:01:50 PM
In message <20100129144819.1f6f8fec@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
          Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:34:36 +0000
> Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In message <20100129141505.1fb85b4c@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
> >           Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> > > Nice style of argument, there.  Or was this another "joke" ?
> > >
> > As you appear to be referring to Steve Jobs as computer illiterate  I
> > think it is a very appropriate style of arguement.
>
> Please tell me where you got this apparition from.  You're the first
> person to mention his name, and I don't see how it's related at all.

Oh come on, even you can't have your head so far up your arse that you
haven't worked out what I was talking about!

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 3:06:48 PM
In message <50e1426ee3dave@davenoise.co.uk>
          "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <44f03ae150%Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk>,
>    Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Think Rob is quite correct. You should have said RISC OS computer
> > > rather than ARM in the post Rob first replied to.
>
> > Why?  I wasn't referring to a RISC OS computer.
>
> Sorry. My fault for assuming you were replying to the topic so early in
> a thread.

I was trying to make a wryly humourous comment.  I should have known better.

> > > And most of the people I know talk about PC, laptop or notebook etc.
> > > Don't ever say computer.
> > >

> > Most people I know would recognise all those as sub-classes of the genus
> > computer.
>
> They would recognise them as such. But you seemed to be pedantic about
> what things are called in practice.

I think you've missed the point totally.  It's not what things are called but
what they are�recognised as.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 3:24:51 PM
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:06:48 +0000
Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > > As you appear to be referring to Steve Jobs as computer
> > > illiterate  I think it is a very appropriate style of arguement.
> >
> > Please tell me where you got this apparition from.  You're the first
> > person to mention his name, and I don't see how it's related at all.
> >
> Oh come on, even you can't have your head so far up your arse that you
> haven't worked out what I was talking about!

Thanks for demonstrating your inability to tell me where you got this
apparition from.

B.
0
nntp550 (4244)
1/29/2010 3:26:45 PM
In message <20100129152645.5ea947af@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
          Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> > > Please tell me where you got this apparition from.  You're the first
> > > person to mention his name, and I don't see how it's related at all.
> > >
> > Oh come on, even you can't have your head so far up your arse that you
> > haven't worked out what I was talking about!
>
> Thanks for demonstrating your inability to tell me where you got this
> apparition from.

If you bothered reading any of the thread properly I explained it several
posts back.  But, as usual, you are too busy trying to be clever and
offensive to notice.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 3:52:28 PM
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:52:28 +0000
Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Thanks for demonstrating your inability to tell me where you got
> > this apparition from.
>
> If you bothered reading any of the thread properly I explained it
> several posts back.  But, as usual, you are too busy trying to be
> clever and offensive to notice.

No, I read back, couldn't spot, posted asking you to point it out.  And
your the one who's reduced his conversation to swearing and insulting.

Sorry if I caused you to get all stressed.

B.
0
nntp550 (4244)
1/29/2010 4:26:56 PM
Graeme wrote:
> In message <20100129124007.3e58d662@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
>           Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:
[snip]

> You are an arrogant little 5*&^(*^(, aren't you?

Why not find something more productive to do with your life than self
declared attempts to wind up other posters, and then get upset about it.

---druck
0
news5802 (529)
1/29/2010 4:35:39 PM
Graeme wrote:

[snip]

Failing an appearance by druck:

Pack it in Graeme, if you've got nothing to say about RISC OS or to
help the OP, don't bother posting.  No one cares.

0
peter4500 (2516)
1/29/2010 4:37:11 PM
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:35:39 +0000
druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:

> Graeme wrote:
> > In message <20100129124007.3e58d662@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
> >           Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>

> > You are an arrogant little 5*&^(*^(, aren't you?
>
> Why not find something more productive to do with your life than self
> declared attempts to wind up other posters, and then get upset about
> it.

Tsk, I didn't write that.

B.
0
nntp550 (4244)
1/29/2010 4:38:52 PM
trevj <trevj@cwazy.co.uk> writes:

> Unfortunately, Castle ceased production in 2008:
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.acorn.announce/browse_thread/thread/81c090cf7044c893/de5682774f2bc2e2
>
> But there are other options, including:
> - the A9;

Are these available new?  The websites I found didn't say either way.

> - RISCube, RISCBook (RISC OS emulation);

I'm not really interested in this.  RPCEmu may work for me though.

> - secondhand Iyonix or RiscPC (either from a dealer or via ebay);

That's an option.

> - new hardware port (RISC OS Open).

Is there anything definite yet?

> You might also be interested in attending an upcoming RISC OS show,
> where you should be able to see some or all of the above for
> yourself.

> - http://waug.org.uk/
> - http://wakefieldshow.org.uk/

Unfortunately, I do not live in the UK.  This is almost certainly not
an option.

Johann
0
johann (33)
1/29/2010 4:45:25 PM
On 29 Jan, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson wrote in message
    <m3wrz0lv16.fsf@myrkraverk.com>:

> trevj <trevj@cwazy.co.uk> writes:
>
> > But there are other options, including: - the A9;
>
> Are these available new?  The websites I found didn't say either way.

You might find http://www.wrocc.org.uk/riscos/hardware.shtml helpful:
although it doesn't yet go into much detail on the new hardware that
RISC OS 5 is being coaxed on to, it tries to cover the other options which
are available.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
0
news1571 (3486)
1/29/2010 5:05:59 PM
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:45:25 +0000
Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <johann@myrkraverk.com> wrote:

> trevj <trevj@cwazy.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Unfortunately, Castle ceased production in 2008:
> > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.acorn.announce/browse_thread/thread/81c090cf7044c893/de5682774f2bc2e2
> >
> > But there are other options, including:
> > - the A9;
>
> Are these available new?  The websites I found didn't say either way.

I'm sure CJE have them in stock :)

B.
0
nntp550 (4244)
1/29/2010 5:08:43 PM
In article <m3wrz0lv16.fsf@myrkraverk.com>,
   Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <johann@myrkraverk.com> wrote:
> > But there are other options, including:
> > - the A9;

> Are these available new?  The websites I found didn't say either way.

Contact CJE:

http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/products/a9home.shtml

--

Stuart Winsor

0
Spambin (1454)
1/29/2010 5:21:31 PM
In article <m3wrz0lv16.fsf@myrkraverk.com>, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson
<URL:mailto:johann@myrkraverk.com> wrote:
> trevj <trevj@cwazy.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Unfortunately, Castle ceased production in 2008:
> > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.acorn.announce/browse_thread/thread/81c090cf
> 7044c893/de5682774f2bc2e2
> >
> > But there are other options, including:
> > - the A9;
>
> Are these available new?  The websites I found didn't say either way.

Yes, available new from:http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/individual/newprodpages/prodinfo.php?prodcode=ADV-A9H

Though we currently are sold out and awaiting delievry of our order.

> > - RISCube, RISCBook (RISC OS emulation);
>
> I'm not really interested in this.  RPCEmu may work for me though.
>
> > - secondhand Iyonix or RiscPC (either from a dealer or via ebay);
>
> That's an option.

We have refurbished Iyonix PCs & RiscPCs in stock!

see:
http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/prices/categories/computers.shtml#RiscPCs
http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/prices/categories/computers.shtml#secondhand

> > - new hardware port (RISC OS Open).
>
> Is there anything definite yet?

No.

> > You might also be interested in attending an upcoming RISC OS show,
> > where you should be able to see some or all of the above for
> > yourself.
>
> > - http://waug.org.uk/
> > - http://wakefieldshow.org.uk/
>
> Unfortunately, I do not live in the UK.  This is almost certainly not
> an option.

We can ship anywhere in the world!

Chris Evans

--
CJE Micro's / 4D                'RISC OS Specialists'
Telephone: 01903 523222             Fax: 01903 523679

0
chris8168 (2937)
1/29/2010 5:27:14 PM
In message <20100129162656.1805c155@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
          Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:52:28 +0000
> Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Thanks for demonstrating your inability to tell me where you got
> > > this apparition from.
> >
> > If you bothered reading any of the thread properly I explained it
> > several posts back.  But, as usual, you are too busy trying to be
> > clever and offensive to notice.
>
> No, I read back, couldn't spot, posted asking you to point it out.

<warning: heavy handed attempt at humour>

Listen carefully I will say this only once

</humour>

My original post was:

> > There is, I gather, a new ARM computer on the market.

After much waffling about computers being released on Christmas day and
similar irrelevancies, you wanted to rephrase that as:

> > Something that the computer illiterate would call a computer has just
> > been released

<note 1: I accept that this was a crude attempt to insult me>

<note 2: for the avoidance of doubt, the device I referred to is better known
to the world as the iPad>

Mr Jobs would call�it a computer.

Therefore, you infer that Mr Jobs is computer illiterate.

As a matter of interest, if only the computer illiterate would call it a
computer, what would you call it?

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 5:30:12 PM
In article <m3wrz0lv16.fsf@myrkraverk.com>,
   Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <johann@myrkraverk.com> wrote:
> > - new hardware port (RISC OS Open).

> Is there anything definite yet?

It is a work in progress but what I have seen is very promising indeed.

--

Stuart Winsor

0
Spambin (1454)
1/29/2010 5:34:12 PM
In message <hjv2rn$tfq$1@news.eternal-september.org>
          Peter Naulls <peter@chocky.org> wrote:

> Graeme wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> Failing an appearance by druck:
>
> Pack it in Graeme, if you've got nothing to say about RISC OS or to
> help the OP, don't bother posting.  No one cares.

Bingo!  Hadn't checked the time zones, should have known you'd be along soon.
Thanks for your attempts at censoring the net but I'm not impressed by your
bullying.

Oh and you are too late, David has already had his little bleat.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 5:34:13 PM
In message <74cf2de150%Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk>
     Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]
> I was really waiting for someone to ask if you could get RISCOS to run on
> an iPad.

Is it possible to get RISC OS to run on an iPad?

I like to please.
--
Fred
0

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 5:54:15 PM
In message <mpro.kx0ryy00001w800ec@ypical.nospam.invalid>
          Fred Bambrough <fred@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

> In message <74cf2de150%Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk>
>      Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > I was really waiting for someone to ask if you could get RISCOS to run on
> > an iPad.
>
> Is it possible to get RISC OS to run on an iPad?

<g,d&r>

> I like to please.

If only...

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 5:55:07 PM
Fred Bambrough <fred@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
> In message <74cf2de150%Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk>
>      Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> [snip]
> > I was really waiting for someone to ask if you could get RISCOS to run
> > on an iPad.

> Is it possible to get RISC OS to run on an iPad?

> I like to please.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/05/25/intels_newspad_from_acorn/
http://adrenaline.ucsd.edu/onr/Annotation%20devices.html#newspad
http://acorn.chriswhy.co.uk/Computers/NC.html#NewsPAD

HTH! ;)

--
Vince M Hudd             :::          Soft Rock Software
http://misc.vinceh.com   :::   http://www.softrock.co.uk

Is there any scope for a new Bristol RISC OS user group?
            See: http://www.riscository.com
0
spam5752 (1717)
1/29/2010 6:24:51 PM
On 29 Jan, Vince M Hudd wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/05/25/intels_newspad_from_acorn/

I seem to remember seeing someone (from Xemplar?) demonstrating this
device, or one very like it, at an Acorn show. It may have been the
last show at Wembley.

Part of the demo involved dropping the device on the floor, to prove
its relative indestructability; naturally, when I saw it, it broke...
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
I stayed up all night playing poker with Tarot cards.
Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <20100129162656.1805c155@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
>           Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:
>=20
> > On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:52:28 +0000
> > Graeme <Graeme@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >=20
> > >=20
> > > If you bothered reading any of the thread properly I explained it
> > > several posts back.  But, as usual, you are too busy trying to be
> > > clever and offensive to notice.
> >=20
> > No, I read back, couldn't spot, posted asking you to point it out. =20
>=20

<snip>

> After much waffling about computers being released on Christmas day
> and similar irrelevancies,=20

You mean, me pointing out that your vague statement was completely
wrong, at which point you say that I'm talking twaddle, way before you
bring anything at all about what a "computer" is (and doesn't matter
anyway, I bet things that the average person on the street would call a
computer is on average released daily).  Then you call me an arrogant
little something.

> you wanted to rephrase that as:

> > > Something that the computer illiterate would call a computer has
> > > just been released
>=20
> <note 1: I accept that this was a crude attempt to insult me>

You can accept that all you want.

> <note 2: for the avoidance of doubt, the device I referred to is
> better known to the world as the iPad>

You never referred to the iPad until after all of what I said above had
occured.

> Mr Jobs would call=C2=A0it a computer.
>=20
> Therefore, you infer that Mr Jobs is computer illiterate.

Total logical disconnect.  Do you like pasta because your house is made
of bricks?  There's no connection what-so-ever with these two
statements.

> As a matter of interest, if only the computer illiterate would call
> it a computer, what would you call it?=20

Call what, the iPad?  I'd call that a computer.  The point at which
you're so hopelessly arguing the toss about was my claim that ARM-based
computers are released daily.  Which they are.  And the only ways you've
tried to defend this indefensible position is to bring up some argument
about what people who don't know about computers would identify as a
computer (and even so, I don't doubt many thousands of products people
would identify as a computer are released each year), and to swear at
me.

Hohum.

B.

0
nntp550 (4244)
1/29/2010 6:58:00 PM
In message <20100129185800.73c78267@trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
          Rob Kendrick <nntp@rjek.com> wrote:

<Nothing worth reading>

But as you have to have the last word, here it is:

Zwitterionic

Good night

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
0
Graeme (792)
1/29/2010 7:12:54 PM
Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <johann@myrkraverk.com> writes:

> trevj <trevj@cwazy.co.uk> writes:
>
>> - RISCube, RISCBook (RISC OS emulation);
>
> I'm not really interested in this.  RPCEmu may work for me though.

I managed to compile RPCEmu (on OpenSolaris) -- it took some effort of
hacking the code.  Now I get:

  MessageBox: RPCemu error RiscOS ROMs missing!

What is my next step if I continue with this?

Also, thank you all for responding to my quest for hardware.  I'll be
looking into that in the near (or distant) future.

Johann
0
johann (33)
1/29/2010 7:21:51 PM
On 29 Jan, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson wrote:

> I managed to compile RPCEmu (on OpenSolaris) -- it took some effort of
> hacking the code.  Now I get:

>   MessageBox: RPCemu error RiscOS ROMs missing!

> What is my next step if I continue with this?

You can buy a ROM image on CD for a fiver -

http://www.riscos.com/news/news_items/PR061208.htm
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
"There ain't half been some clever bastards"

http://www.e-junkie.com/43789/product/58699.php

--

Stuart Winsor

0
Spambin (1454)
1/29/2010 8:24:00 PM
On 29 Jan, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson wrote:

> MessageBox: RPCemu error RiscOS ROMs missing!

> What is my next step if I continue with this?

You may also find this page useful -

http://www.riscos.info/index.php/RPCEmu_Linux_Guide
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted
Stuart <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> writes:

> In article <m3sk9olnsg.fsf@myrkraverk.com>,
>    Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <johann@myrkraverk.com> wrote:
>> I managed to compile RPCEmu (on OpenSolaris) -- it took some effort
>> of hacking the code.  Now I get:
>
>>   MessageBox: RPCemu error RiscOS ROMs missing!
>
>> What is my next step if I continue with this?
>
> http://www.e-junkie.com/43789/product/58699.php

Thank you both, I'll look at that.

Johann
0
johann (33)
1/29/2010 8:29:29 PM
Brian Howlett <news-spamtrap@brianhowlett.me.uk> writes:

> On 29 Jan, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson wrote:
>
>> MessageBox: RPCemu error RiscOS ROMs missing!
>
>> What is my next step if I continue with this?
>
> You may also find this page useful -
>
> http://www.riscos.info/index.php/RPCEmu_Linux_Guide

Yes, *very* thank you.

Johann
0
johann (33)
1/29/2010 10:16:33 PM
On Jan 29, 4:45=A0pm, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson
<joh...@myrkraverk.com> wrote:

> [snipped]
>
> Unfortunately, I do not live in the UK. =A0This is almost certainly not
> an option.

There's one coming up in the Netherlands too, although I doubt that'll
be any more help!
http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/Risc_OS

Trevor
0
trevj1 (328)
2/1/2010 11:37:05 AM
trevj wrote:
> On Jan 29, 4:45 pm, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson
> <joh...@myrkraverk.com> wrote:
>
>> [snipped]
>>
>> Unfortunately, I do not live in the UK.  This is almost certainly not
>> an option.
>
> There's one coming up in the Netherlands too, although I doubt that'll
> be any more help!
> http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/Risc_OS

I'm not sure why you moved that page back again to the incorrect name
of the OS.
0
peter4500 (2516)
2/1/2010 3:09:06 PM
On Feb 1, 3:09=A0pm, Peter Naulls <pe...@chocky.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure why you moved that page back again to the incorrect name
> of the OS.

Please note that I correctly titled my page 'RISC OS'. AI then created
a 'Risc OS' page, with barely any information on it. However, their
page was linked to from the AI Main Page, while mine was not. My
reasoning for merging my contents into theirs (rather than vice versa)
was explained in my ROOL ROBOT post 'Spoiler: no technical information
in this post' linked to below.

http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/295

My original AI page:

http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php?title=3DRISC_OS&oldid=3D954
0
trevj1 (328)
2/1/2010 3:59:41 PM
trevj wrote:
> On Feb 1, 3:09 pm, Peter Naulls <pe...@chocky.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure why you moved that page back again to the incorrect name
>> of the OS.
>
> Please note that I correctly titled my page 'RISC OS'. AI then created
> a 'Risc OS' page, with barely any information on it. However, their
> page was linked to from the AI Main Page, while mine was not. My
> reasoning for merging my contents into theirs (rather than vice versa)
> was explained in my ROOL ROBOT post 'Spoiler: no technical information
> in this post' linked to below.
>
> http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/295
>
> My original AI page:
>
> http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php?title=RISC_OS&oldid=954

Perhaps, but this doesn't really answer the question. Look at the
history:

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php?title=RISC_OS&action=history

If there are wrong links elsewhere, then either those should be fixed,
or put in a proper wiki redirect to the "RISC OS" page.  That is,
using the # MediaWiki system.  In order words, the renamed
page was needlessly blanked, after I had put in exactly this.
Do you think you could fix this?
0
peter4500 (2516)
2/1/2010 4:14:24 PM
On Feb 1, 4:14=A0pm, Peter Naulls <pe...@chocky.org> wrote:

> Do you think you could fix this?

I'll have a go later on. Thanks for the advice.
0
trevj1 (328)
2/1/2010 4:29:02 PM
Cock-ups now corrected on AI wiki. Sorry Peter - I'd missed your 30
Dec edit. ISTR my original title was in fact automatically changed to
lower case at the time or something, so thanks for fixing that. I
guess that ROOL ROBOT post is pretty irrelevant now too, so have
amended it. (Can't delete completely, as "You do not have permission
to carry out that action on this site.")
0
trevj1 (328)
2/1/2010 8:20:42 PM
Final point to note (hopefully)... I requested to AI that their Main
Page have 'RISC OS' corrected (as it's not editable by users with
normal privileges such as myself). They've now done this for us, and
there seem to be no links to the old page (which remains, although I
did also request for it to be deleted).
0
trevj1 (328)
2/2/2010 8:19:59 AM
In message <m37hr1mr8j.fsf@myrkraverk.com>
          Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <johann@myrkraverk.com> wrote:

> I was just browsing the Iyonix website and there do not seem to be any
> computers for sale there.

> Is it still possible to buy a new RiscOS computer?

don't waste your money! go virtualRPC its faster, cheaper and better
in every way. It also has the ability to use the net in real time
outside the Risc OS environment not to mention have access to vastly
superior software range (MAC or Win) for those thousands of tasks you
cannot do within Risc OS

alex

alexg7049 (1)
2/10/2010 3:37:48 PM
In article <d2c173e750.signwork@riscube.signwork.plus.com>, Alex G
<alexg@aol.com> wrote:
> In message <m37hr1mr8j.fsf@myrkraverk.com> Johann 'Myrkraverk'
>           Oskarsson <johann@myrkraverk.com> wrote:

> > I was just browsing the Iyonix website and there do not seem to be
> > any computers for sale there.

> > Is it still possible to buy a new RiscOS computer?

> don't waste your money! go virtualRPC its faster, cheaper and better
> in every way. It also has the ability to use the net in real time
> outside the Risc OS environment not to mention have access to vastly
> superior software range (MAC or Win) for those thousands of tasks you
> cannot do within Risc OS

Though someone like me who likes the convenience of multiple hardware
platforms would like new, quicker, native hardware.

I can dream, can't I?

--
Have an ethical share in cheaper telecoms: http://tinyurl.com/phone-coop
Genuine spam-proof addresses for Usenet:   http://www.invalid.org.uk/

.... "I have a kind soul that would give you thanks, and knows not how to do it, but with tears" King John, Act v, Sc.7
0
tim155 (1564)
2/14/2010 10:16:29 AM
In message <50e965aeeetim@invalid.org.uk>
          Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:

> In article <d2c173e750.signwork@riscube.signwork.plus.com>, Alex G
> <alexg@aol.com> wrote:
>> In message <m37hr1mr8j.fsf@myrkraverk.com> Johann 'Myrkraverk'
>>           Oskarsson <johann@myrkraverk.com> wrote:

>>> I was just browsing the Iyonix website and there do not seem to be
>>> any computers for sale there.

>>> Is it still possible to buy a new RiscOS computer?

>> don't waste your money! go virtualRPC its faster, cheaper and better
>> in every way. It also has the ability to use the net in real time
>> outside the Risc OS environment not to mention have access to vastly
>> superior software range (MAC or Win) for those thousands of tasks you
>> cannot do within Risc OS

> Though someone like me who likes the convenience of multiple hardware
> platforms would like new, quicker, native hardware.

> I can dream, can't I?

When I tried Virtual Acorn with RO 6 I soon got an out of memory
message opening a page with Netsurf. Is my set up wrong or does every
one get this. it does not happen on my Iyonix.

Chris

--
C J Craig

Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk
Iyonix ARM XScale computer Risc OS 5.16
0
Chris7270 (155)
2/14/2010 10:33:21 AM
On 14 Feb, C J Craig wrote in message
    <693a67e950.Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk>:

> When I tried Virtual Acorn with RO 6 I soon got an out of memory message
> opening a page with Netsurf. Is my set up wrong or does every one get
> this. it does not happen on my Iyonix.

You don't tell us enough to make any useful suggestions.  What versions(s)
of NetSurf?  How much memory in the Iyonix; how much configured on VRPC?

Current versions of NetSurf are notoriously memory-hungry[1]; if the VRPC
has less RAM configured than the Iyo, the problem isn't unlikely.

1. The plan seems to be to fix this by the time 2.5 comes out.  It only
affects test builds, and was a deliberate work-around for another issue; the
stable 2.1 release isn't affected (but obviously has less functionality in
other areas).

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
0
news1571 (3486)
2/14/2010 11:49:38 AM
On 14 Feb,
     C J Craig <Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> When I tried Virtual Acorn with RO 6 I soon got an out of memory
> message opening a page with Netsurf. Is my set up wrong or does every
> one get this. it does not happen on my Iyonix.

I've never had that problem using select 6.10. Have you checked how much
memory you have. IIRC I increased mine to 128meg.

--
Brian D
VirtualRPC-AdjustSA
          <me9@privacy.net> wrote:

> On 14 Feb,
>      C J Craig <Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> When I tried Virtual Acorn with RO 6 I soon got an out of memory
>> message opening a page with Netsurf. Is my set up wrong or does every
>> one get this. it does not happen on my Iyonix.

> I've never had that problem using select 6.10. Have you checked how much
> memory you have. IIRC I increased mine to 128meg.

Organizer indicates it is 18m. I am not sure where to to alter it. Is
it on the PC side. PC with Vista & 2G of RAM. Thanks in anticipation

Chris

--
C J Craig

Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk
Iyonix ARM XScale computer Risc OS 5.16
0
Chris7270 (155)
2/14/2010 2:34:15 PM
In article <43487de950.Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk>,
   C J Craig <Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <50E97A0589%brian13434@lycos.co.uk>
>           <me9@privacy.net> wrote:

> > On 14 Feb,
> >      C J Craig <Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> When I tried Virtual Acorn with RO 6 I soon got an out of memory
> >> message opening a page with Netsurf. Is my set up wrong or does
> >> every one get this. it does not happen on my Iyonix.

> > I've never had that problem using select 6.10. Have you checked
> > how much memory you have. IIRC I increased mine to 128meg.

> Organizer indicates it is 18m. I am not sure where to to alter it.
> Is it on the PC side. PC with Vista & 2G of RAM. Thanks in
> anticipation

The instructions are in the on-screen VA User Guide
 > VRPC
  > Appendix 2 (Advanced configuration). It's a simple job to modify
the RAM available, up to an official limit of 128 Mb - you just have
to modify a text file and all the instructions are there in detail.
(But it might be wise to print out that section, to get any
modification exactly right.)

Michael Harding
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding   riscos@mdharding.org.uk

0
riscos (246)
2/14/2010 3:43:33 PM
In message <50e983a09friscos@mdharding.org.uk>
          M Harding <riscos@mdharding.org.uk> wrote:

> In article <43487de950.Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk>,
>    C J Craig <Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <50E97A0589%brian13434@lycos.co.uk>
>>           <me9@privacy.net> wrote:

>>> I've never had that problem using select 6.10. Have you checked
>>> how much memory you have. IIRC I increased mine to 128meg.

>> Organizer indicates it is 18m. I am not sure where to to alter it.
>> Is it on the PC side. PC with Vista & 2G of RAM. Thanks in
>> anticipation

> The instructions are in the on-screen VA User Guide
>  > VRPC
>   > Appendix 2 (Advanced configuration). It's a simple job to modify
> the RAM available, up to an official limit of 128 Mb - you just have
> to modify a text file and all the instructions are there in detail.
> (But it might be wise to print out that section, to get any
> modification exactly right.)

> Michael Harding
> Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding   riscos@mdharding.org.uk

Thanks, I did try looking in the instructions but it was not easy to
find. None of my Models show two banks of RAM as in the instructions.
I just entered 128. It works fine. Organizer now shows 111meg RAM
free.

Many thanks for the help

Chris

--
C J Craig

Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk
Iyonix ARM XScale computer Risc OS 5.16
0
Chris7270 (155)
2/14/2010 4:20:25 PM
In message <d2c173e750.signwork@riscube.signwork.plus.com>
          Alex G <alexg@aol.com> wrote:

> In message <m37hr1mr8j.fsf@myrkraverk.com>
>           Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <johann@myrkraverk.com> wrote:
>
>> I was just browsing the Iyonix website and there do not seem to be any
>> computers for sale there.
>
>> Is it still possible to buy a new RiscOS computer?

I think the A9 is still available, but the OS is, as far as I'm aware,
still in beta.

As far as I'm aware the Iyonix is no longer produced, but perhaps
someone has them in stock.

The A7000 still appears on Castles website, but if they are still
available, it is probably because they are used somewhere in a
specific application. They are a bit slow to buy new.

> don't waste your money! go virtualRPC its faster, cheaper and better
> in every way. It also has the ability to use the net in real time
> outside the Risc OS environment not to mention have access to vastly
> superior software range (MAC or Win) for those thousands of tasks you
> cannot do within Risc OS

I would say it depends on both your finances and what you intend to
do.

An emulated system might be the best way to go, but then a second hand
Risc PC might be.

It also depends where you are and how much hardware experience you
have. (e.g. if shipping were an issue, an Iyonix motherboard for you
to box in a locally sourced case might be the right way to go.)

--
Jess                   DIYonix
0