f



Hard disc pretending it is not formatted

My back up hard disc � only 12 months old - on a RISC PC is showing a 
message �Error when reading ADFS::5.$.  Is it formatted?�
DiscKnight has failed to repair it, is there anything to be done.   
Will reformatting and backing up again from scratch help and, if so, 
where do I get an appropriate formatting programme?

Many thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions people can make.

Tim Hartley
-- 

�What life is then to a man that is without wine? for it was made to 
make men glad.�
"Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis"

0
tgh7168 (1)
3/15/2007 10:29:34 AM
comp.sys.acorn.hardware 3619 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

11 Replies
293 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 29

In message <d8efe9c34e.tgh@dd30.orpheusnet.co.uk>
          Timothy Hartley <tgh@NOorpheusSPAmail.co.uk> wrote:

> 
> My back up hard disc � only 12 months old - on a RISC PC is showing a 
> message �Error when reading ADFS::5.$.  Is it formatted?�
> DiscKnight has failed to repair it, is there anything to be done.   
> Will reformatting and backing up again from scratch help and, if so, 
> where do I get an appropriate formatting programme?
> 
> Many thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions people can make.
Try removing and re-fitting cables at both ends, and try a different
hard drive cable. Also check that the power cables are connected and
giving power.

I had a Maxtor with the same symptoms after 6 months of use and got the
disk going with the following procedure. NOTE you do this at your OWN
risk and if something goes terribly wrong then don't blame me.

What I did was with the computer turned off, I lifted the front of the
computer 1 cm off the desk and dropped it back down onto the desk. On
restart the disc was seen again.

If the drive then works I'd be inclined to back up any important data
*immediately* then get a new drive for the RiscPC.

HTH
Stan


-- 
http://mistymornings.net 
0
3/15/2007 5:11:46 PM
Timothy Hartley wrote:
> My back up hard disc � only 12 months old - on a RISC PC is showing a 
> message �Error when reading ADFS::5.$.  Is it formatted?�
> DiscKnight has failed to repair it, is there anything to be done.   
> Will reformatting and backing up again from scratch help and, if so, 
> where do I get an appropriate formatting programme?
> 
> Many thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions people can make.
> 
> Tim Hartley
Risc OS formatting software in the OS.  This sounds like a problem I had 
when the physical drive was not spinning up (Samsung drive less than one 
year old so able to get it replaced under g.tee - 20 MB so it shows how 
long ago).

You could try getting the disc accessible (not in a drive cage) and 
giving it a light tap on a corner at start up (so that there is a force 
tangential to the axis of the drive) and see if it spins up and works, 
so that you can back up.
0
3/15/2007 5:59:03 PM
Reader in Invisible Writings wrote:
> Timothy Hartley wrote:
>> My back up hard disc � only 12 months old - on a RISC PC is showing a 
>> message �Error when reading ADFS::5.$.  Is it formatted?�
>> DiscKnight has failed to repair it, is there anything to be done.   
>> Will reformatting and backing up again from scratch help and, if so, 
>> where do I get an appropriate formatting programme?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions people can make.
>>
>> Tim Hartley
> Risc OS formatting software in the OS.  This sounds like a problem I had 
> when the physical drive was not spinning up (Samsung drive less than one 
> year old so able to get it replaced under g.tee - 20 MB so it shows how 
> long ago).
> 
> You could try getting the disc accessible (not in a drive cage)<1> and 
> giving it a light tap on a corner at start up <2> (so that there is a force 
> tangential to the axis of the drive) <3>and see if it spins up and works, 
> so that you can back up <4>.
:-( Bad form replying to own post but Tea time beckoned.
Some additional points, but advice is on the basis that the drive is 
probably broke so it'd data salvage time.
<1> you must earth yourself before working on such things and put the 
drive on a flat surface so that nothing damages the circuit board 
underneath!
<2> when the drive access light first lights up is the time to tap, 
because that is when the drive is being spun up. Once the electronics 
have decided that the disc is not responding it seems to stop trying, 
certainly the Samsung drive had a small led which came on initially and 
only stayed on if the drive spun up, else it went out.
<3> if the drive is likened to a paperback with the cables in the bottom 
you need to tap in the direction of the title, direction does not seem 
to matter, but you could try both.  I should also not matter if the 
drive is on its back, especially useful if it has an activity led of its 
own.
<4> from other discussions it seems to only be a problem getting the 
disc to spin initially, once going they can go for months so I am told. 
   Some drives are also ok for re-boot until they stop in the wrong 
place, when they need disturbing to get going.
0
3/15/2007 6:42:35 PM
News poster wrote:
> In message <d8efe9c34e.tgh@dd30.orpheusnet.co.uk>
>           Timothy Hartley <tgh@NOorpheusSPAmail.co.uk> wrote:
> 
>> My back up hard disc � only 12 months old - on a RISC PC is showing a 
>> message �Error when reading ADFS::5.$.  Is it formatted?�
>> DiscKnight has failed to repair it, is there anything to be done.   
>> Will reformatting and backing up again from scratch help and, if so, 
>> where do I get an appropriate formatting programme?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions people can make.
> Try removing and re-fitting cables at both ends, and try a different
> hard drive cable. Also check that the power cables are connected and
> giving power.
> 
> I had a Maxtor with the same symptoms after 6 months of use and got the
> disk going with the following procedure. NOTE you do this at your OWN
> risk and if something goes terribly wrong then don't blame me.
> 
> What I did was with the computer turned off, I lifted the front of the
> computer 1 cm off the desk and dropped it back down onto the desk. On
> restart the disc was seen again.
> 
> If the drive then works I'd be inclined to back up any important data
> *immediately* then get a new drive for the RiscPC.
> 
> HTH
> Stan
> 
> 
I forgot to mention cables, worth checking first.  1 cm drop can do the 
same as a tangential tap, but you are then stressing everything!
0
3/15/2007 6:46:11 PM
On 15 Mar 2007 Timothy Hartley <tgh@NOorpheusSPAmail.co.uk> wrote:

> 
> My back up hard disc � only 12 months old - on a RISC PC is showing a 
> message �Error when reading ADFS::5.$.  Is it formatted?�
> DiscKnight has failed to repair it, is there anything to be done.   
> Will reformatting and backing up again from scratch help and, if so, 
> where do I get an appropriate formatting programme?

Why haven't you contacted me at the DiscKnight support address?

There are a number of things that can be attempted if a repair doesn't work
straight away.

DO NOT use a formatter in the mean time as it will destory and possibility of
recovery.

---druck

-- 
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/
0
news5843 (7461)
3/15/2007 7:16:54 PM
On 15 Mar 2007 Reader in Invisible Writings <markfoweraker@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Risc OS formatting software in the OS. 

Not for hard discs it isn't.

---druck

-- 
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/
0
news5843 (7461)
3/15/2007 7:18:10 PM
In article <d8efe9c34e.tgh@dd30.orpheusnet.co.uk>, Timothy Hartley
<tgh@NOorpheusSPAmail.co.uk> wrote:
> My back up hard disc � only 12 months old - on a RISC PC is showing a 
> message �Error when reading ADFS::5.$.  Is it formatted?�
> DiscKnight has failed to repair it, is there anything to be done.   
> Will reformatting and backing up again from scratch help and, if so, 
> where do I get an appropriate formatting programme?
> 
> Many thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions people can make.

I had one once that didn't like starting on a cold morning. As soon as it
was warm and started I backed it up and changed it!!

John


-- 
    _                     _________________________________________
   / \._._ |_  _     _  /'       Orpheus Internet Services
   \_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_> /          'Internet for Everyone'
_______ | ___________./       http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk


0
mijas (537)
3/15/2007 7:36:09 PM
In article <12c20ec44e.news@casema.nl>,
   News poster <mistymornings@casema.nl> wrote:

> I had a Maxtor with the same symptoms after 6 months of use and got the
> disk going with the following procedure. NOTE you do this at your OWN
> risk and if something goes terribly wrong then don't blame me.

> What I did was with the computer turned off, I lifted the front of the
> computer 1 cm off the desk and dropped it back down onto the desk. On
> restart the disc was seen again.

I've got a Maxtor here that used to stick on the PC whenever I'd force the
machine to powerdown. The Head mechanism sticks (rather than failing to
spin) and would just clunk away on a reboot. All it requires is a shake to
free it.

-- 
Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6          terminal_crazy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk
Lancashire England          http://www.sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk/terminal_crazy/
0
mitch1 (52)
3/15/2007 8:11:57 PM
In message <01371ac44e.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 15 Mar 2007 Timothy Hartley <tgh@NOorpheusSPAmail.co.uk> wrote:
> 
>> 
>> My back up hard disc � only 12 months old - on a RISC PC is showing a
>> message �Error when reading ADFS::5.$.  Is it formatted?�
>> DiscKnight has failed to repair it, is there anything to be done.
>> Will reformatting and backing up again from scratch help and, if so,
>> where do I get an appropriate formatting programme?
> 
> Why haven't you contacted me at the DiscKnight support address?
> 
> There are a number of things that can be attempted if a repair doesn't work
> straight away.
> 
> DO NOT use a formatter in the mean time as it will destory and possibility of
> recovery.
> 
> ---druck
> 
No offence meant - I simply thought that if DiscKnight could not cure 
it the problem was probably something outside its intended role.  I'd 
be delighted to have any help you can give.  I've found DiscKnight 
very helpful for getting me out of trouble before with a failing disc 
and it was my first port of call this time but...


Tim Hartley
0
tgh7405 (2)
3/16/2007 9:12:58 AM
Thanks to everyone who has offered help - I'll try the tangential tap
if nothing else works. Fortunately as I said it's a backup drive annd 
all imporatn data is also on a Virtual Acorn laptop as well so - 
fingers crossed - things could be worse.


Tim Hartley
0
tgh7405 (2)
3/16/2007 9:19:25 AM
On 16 Mar 2007 Timothy Hartley <tgh@NorpheusPAmail.co.uk> wrote:
> No offence meant - I simply thought that if DiscKnight could not cure 
> it the problem was probably something outside its intended role. 

No worries, but if it doesn't work, complain! 

---druck

-- 
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/
0
news5843 (7461)
3/16/2007 5:51:59 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Hard Disc format
I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults that HForm gave me. JayCee JayCee wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. ADFS (and HForm) carry a physical limitation of 128Gb. Drives >128Gb use feature sets not used on smaller drives, so the ADFS module needs to support that. Whilst the API for Filecore on RISC OS 5 has been designed to support 256Gb, I'm not aware of that restriction being lifted from ADFS. Select also currently formats and uses drives up to 128Gb on ADFS. Best wishes, Drew On 2 Jul 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. Use DiscKnight's verbose display to see what size you've actually formatted it to. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ In message <284027844d.druck@druck.freeuk.net> dr...

Formatting hard disc for iMac
Hi All, The hard drive in my brothers iMac (CRT, DV 2001) has died and I've got a replacement for him here. Now, the question is: I've got OS X 10.4 family pack on DVD but he's only got a CD drive. Can I format the and install 10.4 on the drive here using my Desktop G4 and then send him the drive, or does the install process optimse the software for the hardware? Many thanks Michael Sanders Michael Sanders <test@glowstars.demon.uk> wrote: > The hard drive in my brothers iMac (CRT, DV 2001) has died and I've got a > replacement for him here. > > Now, ...

SCSI formatted USB hard disc limitations?
I have been successfully using a DOS-formatted 2GB HDD connected via a USB external caddy to back up my Iyonix for some time. Following comments in the recent "USB Hard Discs..." thread, I thought it might be a good idea to format a larger disc using !SCSIForm and use that instead. The disc formatted fine and files copied readily. However, what seems to happen is that, with some folders, the system locks up before the entire contents are copied. For example, lockup occurs with the !Boot folder when approx. 101 of the 103MB have been copied. Subsequent attempts to add even one file to the folder are unsuccessful unless some files are deleted from it first. Similar problems occur with several other folders that are much smaller in size than !Boot. This appears to indicate that there is a "number of files per folder" limit with SCSIFS, although comparisons of file numbers in the offending folders doesn't seem to show any pattern. Can anyone shed any light on this? Have I missed something really obvious? Googling has been no help. (Iyonix, RISC OS 5.10, !SCSIForm dated 19/5/2005; all defaults accepted when formatting disc.) -- Robert Werry . - . .^. Robert Werry Computer Services . pc ; '___' 165 Nicholson's Lane Harwood Is 2465 Australia IYONIX '.. ' Acorn'. .' Phone/Fax: +61 (0)2 66464377 Superior British computer technology ...

Freebie: Original Acorn 210Mb Hard Disc
In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no defects. Does anyone want this drive for the cost of postage? Email me at the address below. Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ On 12 Sep 2007 Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of > old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard > discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ > (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 > installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which > would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; > it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no > defects. These drives are so far past their expected lifetime, don't rely on them continuing to function. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page ...

SCSI formatted USB hard disc problem solved!
A couple of weeks ago I posted to this group about a problem I was having backing up files on my Iyonix to an external USB hard drive formatted with !SCSIForm. Although some files copied to the drive OK, eventually the system would lock up and refuse to add any more files to the current folder. I am pleased to report that after upgrading the Iyo to USB2 the problem has been solved. Thanks to Dave Ruck for his help at the time and Paul Vigay who, in an unrelated thread, reported the above as a solution to a similar problem he had experienced. Hope this may be of help to others. -- Robert Werry . - . .^. Robert Werry Computer Services . pc ; '___' 165 Nicholson's Lane Harwood Is 2465 Australia IYONIX '.. ' Acorn'. .' Phone/Fax: +61 (0)2 66464377 Superior British computer technology --'._ ...

FS: Misc Acorn (and non-Acorn) hardware
Like Peter Naulls yesterday, I'm trying to get rid of my remaining Risc PC and the related hardware. I've put them on eBay. The Acorn-specific items are: Acorn Risc PC StrongARM 233 MHz + Power-tec SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202188067 i-cubed EtherLan600 for Acorn Risc PC/A7000 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202186713 Acorn Risc PC power supply, backplane and screws http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202185817 RISC OS Select http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202184767 STD PS2Mouse for Acorn Risc PC http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202183392 Acorn MEU + Plextor PlexWriter RW 4220 internal SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202182624 Graphic tablet PaintPal Deluxe http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202181086 The rest is not Acorn-specific but was connected to either a Risc PC or a Iyonix and therefore may be of interest here as well: Mitsumi FA402M 3.5" Floppy and 7in1 Media Drive http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202179719 Sony 3.5" Floppy MPF 920 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202177159 ELSA MicroLink ISDN 4U Router/Hub http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5777800061 Iomega ZIP 100 Drive external SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202173954 HP ScanJet 3c SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...

Formatting a disc
When using a new hard drive on my RISC PC under RISC OS 4.33 I have always 'fudged' the drive parameters to get an actual disc size to match near to the manufacturers quoted one. This is when I use !IDEFormat v3.51 5 March 1999. For example a 40 Gb drive is marked and reports 16,383 cylinders, 16 heads, and 63 sectors and an LBA of 78,165,360, which the formatter calculates gives only 8063 Mb. Without knowing what I'm doing I have thought that if I multiply the cylinders by 5, I'll get the size I expect. It seems to format OK and do what I want. The questions are: Is this a reasonable thing to do? Will I get reliable operation? Why does it work? Is there a more logical approach? Thanks for any insight you can give me. Barry -- __ ___ //_)) //__)) //__))arry //unchard mailto:barry.punchard@btinternet.com ____________________ Hemel Hempstead, UK Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@btinternet.com> wrote: > When using a new hard drive on my RISC PC under RISC OS 4.33 I have always > 'fudged' the drive parameters to get an actual disc size to match near to > the manufacturers quoted one. This is when I use !IDEFormat v3.51 5 March > 1999. > > For example a 40 Gb drive is marked and reports 16,383 cylinders, 16 > heads, and 63 sectors and an LBA of 78,165,360, which the formatter > calculates gives only 8063 Mb. Without knowing what I'm doing I have > ...

Hard Discs
I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second (slave) drive. It boots from :4. I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't find a drive. I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK. I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine it only has one drive now. Although I could leave the drive in situ till my new one arrives I really want it out so it can replace an ailing drive in my partners PC. My question is twofold - firstly where do you configure the number of hard drives, configure discs only allows you to change floppy, CD and SCSI drives and mine are both IDE; and secondly will the same problem arise when I eventually take it out and replace it with a new drive as that won't yet be formatted. JayCee In message <395577804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second > (slave) drive. It boots from :4. > > I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from > the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't > find a drive. > > I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK. > > I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine > it only has one drive now. > > Although I co...

FS: Hard discs
If anyone is interested, I've got hold of a bunch of hard discs. They're Fujitsu units, MPD3043AT, 4.3GB capacity. Ideal to give yourself a bit more space. Offers to the return address on here. Note that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I've got pukka boxes too, so mailing is no problem. Cheers Mike -- Michael Gilbert: in his own write OK, so there's the Trident in Bangor In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > .... Note > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails > headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I quite understand, but I did smile, I thought you worked in Technical support:-) That would be one of reducing your workload;-) Chris Evans -- CJE Micro's / NCS / Fourth Dimension 'RISC OS Specialists' Telephone: (01903) 523222 Fax: (01903) 523679 chris@cjemicros.co.uk http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/ 78 Brighton Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11 2EN, UK. In article <ant221229b49pErr@client.cjemicros.co.uk>, Chris Evans <URL:mailto:chris@cjemicros.co.uk> wrote: > In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert > <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > > > .... Note > > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard...

Hard Disc on Iyonix
The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that I should purchase please? DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). On 14 May 2012, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: [snip] > DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the > existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). Disknight checks the directory structure. To find disc errors you need to *verify Tony In article <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: > The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 > at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same > or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same > time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that > I should purchase please? This type of error may also be due to the power supply going off. -- Chris Johnson Chris Johnson <chrisjohnson+news@spamcop.net> wrote: > In article > <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, > svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote...

Failed hard disc
The main hard disc in my RiscPC seems to have given up. It threw up a disc error (which may have been 5, sadly I didn't write it down) and now all I'm getting is "Disc not found...". Attempts to access it just result in the machine freezing for long periods of time and it makes the occasional unhappy crunching noise when powered up. I'm assuming it's dead, though if anyone has any suggestions as to troubleshooting methods I'd be interested... The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a bit out of date in this respect. -- Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/ In message <2ac633d44c.steve@helvellyn.stevefryatt.org.uk> Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote: [snip] > The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are > there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a > replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem > isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a > bit out of date in this respect. I am running a Maxtor Diamond +9 (Calypso) for over 15 month now without any trouble. It is connected to the inter...

My hard disc locked
I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the data.( both of them are in NTFS format) few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not competitible w/ NTFS) So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my drive D's format. There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. Plz help me! On 19 Feb 2004 02:18:34 -0800, antony617hk@yahoo.com.hk (antony617) wrote: >I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the >data.( both of them are in NTFS format) >few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and >install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) >Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not >competitible w/ NTFS) >So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW >format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't >format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my >drive D's format. >There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. >Plz help me! I found this in a different group: ---------------------------------------------- >Bednarek <mb a...

A3010 Hard disc
Hi. Know this is a tall order but does anyone have an IDE interface for the A3010 which I could use to connect a hard disc to the machine? Also, I need a user port on the expansion card. I dont need a hard disc, I have two in an A7000 and I could take one for this. Know it wont fit, but neatness doesnt really matter. I just need the inteface. Alternatively does anyone have an expansion card of any sort whatsoever for an A7000 with a user port on it? I really dont care what it is so long as theres a user port (for an external control box I want to get working for a model railway). If anyone has one they dont want could they email me? Dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk Would prefer an email as I wont have a chance to check the group for a while. A freebie would be great (I would pay postage etc) but otherwise email me with a price and I'll consider it. Cant pay too much tho Im a poor skivvy student!! :-) Many thanks in advance Jon Dallimore On 22-Jun-2005, "Jon Dallimore" <dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk> wrote: > Know this is a tall order but does anyone have an IDE interface for > the A3010 which I could use to connect a hard disc to the machine? > Also, I need a user port on the expansion card. I dont need a hard > disc, I have two in an A7000 and I could take one for this. Know it > wont fit, but neatness doesnt really matter. I just need the > inteface. > > Alternatively does anyone have an expansion card of any sort > whatsoever for an...

More hard disc woes
After all the difficulties I recently had -- but never solved -- getting a 120 GB disc recognised on a RISC OS 4 RiscPC, I've now tried another brand-new disc. This one is 80 GB (a size that is known to be usable on RO 4), and I haven't run HForm or similar tools on it as it came "ready to use" and I don't want to risk rendering it completely unusable. Once again it is not recognised, suggesting that there is something fundamentally wrong here. The 40 GB it replaced worked fine as slave to the 16 GB, the 40 GB is now the master and the 80 is jumpered as slave, so it's really rather puzzling! When I had the same problem with the 120 GB I also tried having it as the master with no slave and that made no difference, so I haven't tried that this time (I really don't fancy stripping down to the motherboard level again!) and strongly feel that it would change nothing. I ran DiscKnight to get some basic info, and the results (below) are intriguing, though I am no expert and do not know why it turns up this result. The number 219 keeps popping up, but I don't know what that signifies if anything. I am hoping that at least one of the experts here will read the report and immediately recignise something very silly that can easily be corrected. If not, I now have *two* spare hard discs(!) DiscKnight 1.40 (28-Dec-2002) [32bit] Serial no. 21300084 Arguments: -v -t -s ADFS 5 Boot block - Boot Record Number of Tracks : 0 Number of...

Hard Disc linking
Hi, I have just installed a second hard disc (with no links, = slave) and all works perfectly. I had to work out whether the boot disc was configured as a Master or as Drive select so I checked the documentation that came with the disc many years ago. I was surprised as to how the boot disc is configured. All works well was I didn't alter anything but I am left curious. The boot disc is a Maxtor 5T030H3 and is linked as follows; Link between Pins 1 and 6 Link between Pins 2 and 3 X = Pin O = No Pin 1 2 3 4 5 X X X O X X X X X X 6 7 ...

Hard disc recovery
I had a somewhat strange experience today with a hard drive. Some months ago I decided to upgrade the hard drive on my PC from 100GB to 160GB. The drives were formatted to NTFS. I used the now spare 100GB drive in my Risc PC, initialising it with my Unipod, where it has been used since February this year. As the 100GB was a bit over the top and the PC again needed more space, I reverted the Risc PC to its original 10GB drive and put the 100GB drive - still with all the Risc PC stuff on it - back into the PC, as a slave to the other drive. When I turned the PC on, it went into a half hour ...

Replacement Hard Disc
I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the maximum hard disc size that I can fit is - I've been unable to run HForm (I've tried several versions) with a 40Gb HD. So, some questions: What is the maximum size HD that I can add with the current OS and what version of HForm would I use? Can I just add some spare 3.7 ROMs I have and would it make any difference? Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)? What upgrades would make sense in this situation? Thanking you in advance. John Haines In article <4cc4b35ec8jhaines@argonet.co.uk>, John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than > about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)? > What upgrades would make sense in this situation? One answer might be an IDE card. Those can allow you to partition a larger disc so you have several all within the 3.6 maximum. IIRC. -- *I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable. Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. On 25 Jun 2004 John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to > have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the &...

SCSI Hard Disc
My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their anything I can try? Luckily I only use it for temporary audio files so nothing important on it. I ran a test on it just the other day and it reported ok. Perhaps coincidence? -- *There's no place like www.home.com * Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article <4d1b9717e5dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > anything I can try? ... Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ In article <4d1c16edfcbric-nospam@argonet.co.uk>, Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > > anything I can try? ... > Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? No. -- *I yell because I care Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article &...

Hard disc sick?
Hello, Don't know if this is a hardware issue or if it's just s/ware causing unnescessary concern. My HD verifys 100% perfect but I have recently strarted getting disc error messages when I load MPro. Nothing seems to get corrupted and everything works fine once I've clicked OK on all the errors but obviously I don't want to miss a warning sign that my HD's about to expire. I'm thinking it could well be hardware as also it keeps on re-initialising during use, certainly never used to park the heads after periods of inactivity which is what it appears to be doing now. Any one any thoughts? Pity there isn't a SATA podule available, I've got an 80GB SATA drive with about 3 hrs. use on it just sitting in a box. Also when I've got some money I'll be looking out for a new IDE podule as that Simtec one just isn't doing the job, am only getting onboard IDE performance levels out of it - think it's simply not working with DMA. If any one has a decent IDE card for sale I'd be interested to hear from them. Cheers, Mike.... -- Michael Hambley - mike@armpowered.co.uk http://www.armpowered.co.uk - My little corner of the web. http://www.dispose-it.co.uk - IT disposal/recycling & data destruction. http://www.ecoputers.co.uk - New and refurbished computers, peripherals etc. In message <7d2abf644d.Michael@armpowered.co.uk> Michael Hambley <mike@armpowered.co.uk> wrote: > expire. I'm thinking it c...

formatting hard drive
A friend has asked me to reformat his hard drive. He deleted windows xp! Surprise - surprise the pc doesn't boot up! He said he got a screen that asked if he wanted to restore it and he said yes, but it boots and them keeps shutting off. I think it will go into safe mode. He wants me to reformat it and install Win 2000 instead of XP. Now that Windows is gone (or partially gone), is it still the same process - bootable floppy, etc. Would that be a Win 2000 bootable floppy? Also, I have no idea what drivers it will need. Where will I find the driver information? Ken On 30 Se...

Hard disc recovery
I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the files on it ? Thanks On 3 Apr, 22:45, "freddy" <dsd....@hehg.com> wrote: > I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone > recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the > files on it ? > > Thanks Hi freddy, Ouch! Bad luck. Thoughts that spring to mind are: -Dump an image of the drive 'as is' before you do anything else... ....mind you 120gb is going to need some room. Do you have a (um) PC/ Mac with scsi you could use to make the dump if space is tight on your Acorn..? -Something like DiscKnight may help - really an IDE recovery tool but you never know... -Having backed-up the drive first, repartitioning with the original map *may* get you a fair bit of your data back. -Thanks for the contributions :-)- Regards, Charles. Charlie wrote: > On 3 Apr, 22:45, "freddy" <dsd....@hehg.com> wrote: >> I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone >> recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the >> files on it ? > -Something like DiscKnight may help - really an IDE recovery tool but > you never know... As long as the disc hasn't been repartitioned and reinitialised with the same sizes as originally (which will overwrite the disc ma...

Hardware hard in Linux?
OK, here's the scenario. Dual boot box consisting of a P4P-800-E DLX, Nvidia video card, printer, scanner, bells, whistles, and it's something I'm proud of. The Linux side is running Slack 10.2 with a custom 2.6.16 kernel and gware Gnome for the desktop. Mrs. Phist decided to buy me a wireless keyboard and mouse since my old ones are almost five years old and I've beaten them all to hell. She's not the most tech savvy person in the world and just went to Best Buy and got a Microsoft keyboard/mouse combo for about $40 CAN. Not a bad deal, but I'm going from PS2 wired k...

Disc not formatted error
I use floppy discs to transfer Organizer data between my computer and my friend's, on several occasions when I have put in my disc to write back to it I have got the error 'Disc not formatted' although it had read it earlier, and all other disc tried have produced the same error. Re-booting has made all read/writeable again. Then my friend when trying to save an back Exel file under DOS got the error 'Error when reading ADFS::Untittled.$-' . I had thought some rogue program might be upsetting the computer but then had the error occur when trying to read a disc imme...

How to format this hard drive
Hello everybody I have a 640 gb hard drive that has windows 7 pro 64 bit , It has a lot of viruses on it plus files i dont really need , The thing is i sold the pieces of the original computer it was in and i have only the hard drive left and i would like to erase everything on it and install windows 7 again however at the mean time i dont have a desktop pc , I sent it to my friend in the computer store for upgrades and im not going there soon either I have a lenovo g550 laptop , Can i connect the hard drive to the laptop and format it from there ? if possible then how do i do it Cheers Mike :D Yep can connect it via the USB port using a powered adapter such as this one--> www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200171 On 08/05/2012 20:17, rb wrote: > Yep can connect it via the USB port using a powered adapter such as this > one--> > www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200171 > > That's OK for the data side, what about power to the drive? He would be better off using an external USB type enclosure which could be used in the future as an external backup drive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817366037 On 09/05/2012 08:12, Enrie Membership wrote: > On 08/05/2012 20:17, rb wrote: >> Yep can connect it via the USB port using a powered adapter such as this >> one--> >> www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200171 >> >> > > That's OK f...

Web resources about - Hard disc pretending it is not formatted - comp.sys.acorn.hardware

Man Fools More Than 500,000 Facebook Users Pretending To Be Lottery Winner
As we learned earlier with the ubiquitous “ In response to the new Facebook guidelines ,” posts, Facebook users will share just about anything ...

Pretending to work - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Too many damn wires. Clean up time. A far cry from my MITRE office... Photo by Rani

FAKE OSCAR PRANK - Pretending to be a Celebrity - YouTube
Have you ever imagined what it'd be like to be an Oscar winner? Me too. Welcome to the fake oscar prank. In it, I pretend to be a celebrity and ...

'I made a dumb mistake': New Zealand man admits pretending to be decorated SAS soldier
NAPIER: He bought medals off Trade Me, pinned them to his chest and made up elaborate tales about life as an SAS soldier.

Drug addict conned vulnerable uncle to feed habit by pretending to be a police officer, court told
A former Qantas aircraft cleaner desperate for money to feed her drug addiction began blackmailing her vulnerable uncle by posing as a police ...

Gayle Newland jailed for eight years for pretending to be a man to have sex with a female fan
A WOMAN has been jailed for eight years by a British court after tricking a friend she met on Facebook into having sex with her for two years ...

Echoes of Fifty Shades of Grey: man cleared of raping estranged wife while pretending to be another man ...
A bizarre rape trial with echoes of the novel Fifty Shades of Grey has been thrown out of a New Zealand court.

I was still pretending I was dead: survivor's terror - Anders Breivik
A youth leader who survived the massacre at a Norwegian youth camp has described from his hospital bed how he played dead as the gunman stood ...

How to ignore the UN while pretending it really has a role to play
One key point of illumination from Julian Assange's announcement on Thursday is the rich impotence of the United Nations.

Paris attacks: Melbourne woman narrowly escapes injury by hiding and 'pretending to be dead'
A Melbourne woman narrowly escapes injury in the Paris terror attacks by hiding and pretending to be dead.

Resources last updated: 3/23/2016 6:52:46 AM