Hard Discs

I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
(slave) drive. It boots from :4.

I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
find a drive.

I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK.

I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine
it only has one drive now.

Although I could leave the drive in situ till my new one arrives I
really want it out so it can replace an ailing drive in my partners
PC.

My question is twofold - firstly where do you configure the number of
hard drives, configure discs only allows you to change floppy, CD and
SCSI drives and mine are both IDE; and secondly will the same problem
arise when I eventually take it out and replace it with a new drive as
that won't yet be formatted.

JayCee

0
jaycee (105)

In message <395577804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
> (slave) drive. It boots from :4.
>
> I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
> the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
> find a drive.
>
> I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK.
>
> I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine
> it only has one drive now.
>
> Although I could leave the drive in situ till my new one arrives I
> really want it out so it can replace an ailing drive in my partners
> PC.
>
> My question is twofold - firstly where do you configure the number of
> hard drives, configure discs only allows you to change floppy, CD and
> SCSI drives and mine are both IDE; and secondly will the same problem
> arise when I eventually take it out and replace it with a new drive as
> that won't yet be formatted.

If there is only one drive on the cable it should have its link set to
Master. It there are two then they could be either Master/Slave or
Cable Select.

I have just replaced both the harddrives in my Iyonix with rather
splendid 120MB 7200rpm devices from CJE. The instructions said if
connected to an Ultra cable, which I took to mean eighty cores, which
I do have, then use Cable Select. (The cable has its sockets labelled
Master and Slave.) I just did what I was told, all works perfectly.

I have the CD is own cable, the original ribbon.

I rather think the Master is drive 4.

The system manages itself, there is no configuration.

Hope that helps.
--
David Pitt.

Castle Iyonix, RISC OS 5.09.
0
news7066 (1533)
6/25/2005 9:13:33 AM
In message of 25 Jun, JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> My question is twofold - firstly where do you configure the number of
> hard drives, configure discs only allows you to change floppy, CD and
> SCSI drives and mine are both IDE; and secondly will the same problem
> arise when I eventually take it out and replace it with a new drive as
> that won't yet be formatted.

The answer is, I think, that you don't (configure the number of IDE
drives).  I have a disc in a caddy and if I remove it and then reboot,
no problem occurs, it just is not there.  Put it back in and reboot -
and the drive reappears.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe������������������������������������������tim@powys.org
�������������For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org
On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
> (slave) drive. It boots from :4.
>
> I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
> the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
> find a drive.

You've probably added something from the second drive to your boot sequence,
either via the Boot section of !Configure, or in an applications choices.
Skip the error, and then work out what hasn't loaded.

> I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine
> it only has one drive now.

You don't its automatic.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
6/25/2005 10:39:08 AM
In message <06d881804d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
>> (slave) drive. It boots from :4.
>>
>> I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
>> the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
>> find a drive.
>
> You've probably added something from the second drive to your boot sequence,
> either via the Boot section of !Configure, or in an applications choices.
> Skip the error, and then work out what hasn't loaded.

I have checked configure very carefully and it doesn't refer to drive
5 anywhere; on that drive are only a complete backup of 4 and graphic
and sound files, no applications (except backed up ones). I have put
the drive back in and everything works again.

There is no error to skip, the machine starts up in the desktop but
with no hard drive icons and if I go to the command line and look for
drive 4 it says it isn't there.

I don't like to keep plugging and unplugging things so will leave it
till next week when my new drive arrives and see what happens then -
could it be that drive 4 is set to see a slave (that might be rubbish
but I am not technically au fait with how these things work - just
read what others write on here sometimes!))

JayCee
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 11:03:03 AM
In message <0db983804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <06d881804d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>
>> On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
>>> (slave) drive. It boots from :4.
>>>
>>> I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
>>> the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
>>> find a drive.
>>
>> You've probably added something from the second drive to your boot sequence,
>> either via the Boot section of !Configure, or in an applications choices.
>> Skip the error, and then work out what hasn't loaded.
>>
> I have checked configure very carefully and it doesn't refer to drive
> 5 anywhere; on that drive are only a complete backup of 4 and graphic
> and sound files, no applications (except backed up ones). I have put
> the drive back in and everything works again.
>
> There is no error to skip, the machine starts up in the desktop but
> with no hard drive icons and if I go to the command line and look for
> drive 4 it says it isn't there.
>
> I don't like to keep plugging and unplugging things so will leave it
> till next week when my new drive arrives and see what happens then -
> could it be that drive 4 is set to see a slave (that might be rubbish
> but I am not technically au fait with how these things work - just
> read what others write on here sometimes!))

Sorry to add a PS but it may be relevanty - drive 5 now has absolutley
nothing on it so given that the machine starts OK with it connected
but empty doe sthat provide any clue?

JayCee
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 11:06:17 AM
In message <0db983804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> I don't like to keep plugging and unplugging things so will leave it
> till next week when my new drive arrives and see what happens then -
> could it be that drive 4 is set to see a slave (that might be rubbish
> but I am not technically au fait with how these things work - just
> read what others write on here sometimes!))

Swap the links then so that the drive with the data on is Master and
the empty one is Slave.

--
David Pitt.

Castle Iyonix, RISC OS 5.09.
0
news7066 (1533)
6/25/2005 11:16:16 AM
In message <303e85804d.pittdj+@pittdj.plus.com>
          David Pitt <news@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <0db983804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
>           JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>

> [snip]
>>

>> I don't like to keep plugging and unplugging things so will leave it
>> till next week when my new drive arrives and see what happens then -
>> could it be that drive 4 is set to see a slave (that might be rubbish
>> but I am not technically au fait with how these things work - just
>> read what others write on here sometimes!))
>>
> Swap the links then so that the drive with the data on is Master and
> the empty one is Slave.

The empty one is already set as slave - drive 4 should be set as
master but I can't get it out to look at the settings as one of the
screws where you have to poke your screwdriver through the metalwork
appears to have stripped its threads.

JayCee
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 11:29:56 AM
In message <ec5486804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <303e85804d.pittdj+@pittdj.plus.com>
>          David Pitt <news@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <0db983804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
>>           JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>> [snip]
>>>

>>> I don't like to keep plugging and unplugging things so will leave it
>>> till next week when my new drive arrives and see what happens then -
>>> could it be that drive 4 is set to see a slave (that might be rubbish
>>> but I am not technically au fait with how these things work - just
>>> read what others write on here sometimes!))
>>>
>> Swap the links then so that the drive with the data on is Master and
>> the empty one is Slave.
>>
>The empty one is already set as slave - drive 4 should be set as
>master but I can't get it out to look at the settings as one of the
>screws where you have to poke your screwdriver through the metalwork
>appears to have stripped its threads.

I had the stripped thread syndrome here. I was less than sure that the
screws were the right size. It came out in the end and was reinstated in
a data safe with a right assortment of self tappers.

The drives that were in the Iyonix had the marking where they were
visible which is more than can be said for the new pair.

I have reread the thread to try to resynchronise the brain. The machine
is booting from drive 4, are there the same errors with the empty drive
5 present as there were when drive 5 was removed.

--
David Pitt.

Castle Iyonix, RISC OS 5.09.
0
news7066 (1533)
6/25/2005 12:06:10 PM
In message <d5cf89804d.pittdj+@pittdj.plus.com>
          David Pitt <news@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <ec5486804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
>           JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <303e85804d.pittdj+@pittdj.plus.com>
>>          David Pitt <news@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <0db983804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
>>>           JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>>

>>> [snip]

>>> Swap the links then so that the drive with the data on is Master and
>>> the empty one is Slave.
>>>
>>The empty one is already set as slave - drive 4 should be set as
>>master but I can't get it out to look at the settings as one of the
>>screws where you have to poke your screwdriver through the metalwork
>>appears to have stripped its threads.
>>
> I had the stripped thread syndrome here. I was less than sure that the
> screws were the right size. It came out in the end and was reinstated in
> a data safe with a right assortment of self tappers.
>
> The drives that were in the Iyonix had the marking where they were
> visible which is more than can be said for the new pair.
>
> I have reread the thread to try to resynchronise the brain. The machine
> is booting from drive 4, are there the same errors with the empty drive
> 5 present as there were when drive 5 was removed.

No, I am probably confusing everyone else as much as I am myself.

With both drives in the machine works fine.

If I remove drive 5 then the machine boots into a useable desktop but
with no hard drive icons on the bar. If I try to access drive 4 from
the command line it just says drive not recognised.

Please don't expend too much brainpower on it as I may need to come
back to you when I try to put a new drive in next week - I certainly
never had any of these problems when I first put a second drive in.

JayCee

0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 12:29:53 PM
In message <395577804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
> (slave) drive. It boots from :4.
>
> I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
> the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
> find a drive.

Have you got it looking at or running something on drive 5 at the start
up?

[snip]

--
Kev Wells  http://kevsoft.topcities.com
http://kevsoft.co.uk/
On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> With both drives in the machine works fine.
>
> If I remove drive 5 then the machine boots into a useable desktop but
> with no hard drive icons on the bar. If I try to access drive 4 from
> the command line it just says drive not recognised.

Make sure drive 4 is at the end of the IDE cable, not in the middle.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
6/25/2005 1:17:38 PM
In message <d3958f804d.Kevin@pipex.com>
          Kevin Wells <kev.wells@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> In message <395577804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
>           JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second
>> (slave) drive. It boots from :4.
>>
>> I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from
>> the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't
>> find a drive.
>>

> Have you got it looking at or running something on drive 5 at the start
> up?
>
> [snip]

No - it can't find any drives at all it starts the desktop with no
hard drive icons at all
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 1:21:53 PM
In message <ab5a90804d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> With both drives in the machine works fine.
>>
>> If I remove drive 5 then the machine boots into a useable desktop but
>> with no hard drive icons on the bar. If I try to access drive 4 from
>> the command line it just says drive not recognised.
>
> Make sure drive 4 is at the end of the IDE cable, not in the middle.

Yes Drive 4 is at te end, drive 5 was (is) on the middle connector of
that lead. CD drive is on other IDE socket.

JayCee
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 1:32:13 PM
In message <14bc91804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <ab5a90804d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>
> > On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> >> With both drives in the machine works fine.
> >>
> >> If I remove drive 5 then the machine boots into a useable desktop but
> >> with no hard drive icons on the bar. If I try to access drive 4 from
> >> the command line it just says drive not recognised.
> >
> > Make sure drive 4 is at the end of the IDE cable, not in the middle.
> >
> Yes Drive 4 is at te end, drive 5 was (is) on the middle connector of
> that lead. CD drive is on other IDE socket.
>
> JayCee

Which of your two drives was the original ?

I once had a drive which would not work on the Iyonix on its own, so try
copying !Boot on the existing drive 4 to drive 5 and running with the
existing drive 5 as the only disc on the cable, set as master and on the
end etc.

John

--
John Sandford   West Herts   UK

Hemel Hempstead RISC OS User Group email info @ hhrug.org
In message <650997804d.jms@sandford.ntlworld.com>
          fornewsgroups@ntlworld.com wrote:

> In message <14bc91804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
>           JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <ab5a90804d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

>> > Make sure drive 4 is at the end of the IDE cable, not in the middle.
>> >
>> Yes Drive 4 is at te end, drive 5 was (is) on the middle connector of
>> that lead. CD drive is on other IDE socket.
>>
>> JayCee
>
> Which of your two drives was the original ?
>
> I once had a drive which would not work on the Iyonix on its own, so try
> copying !Boot on the existing drive 4 to drive 5 and running with the
> existing drive 5 as the only disc on the cable, set as master and on the
> end etc.

I thank you all for your comments but am now starting a production of
my monthly magazine so cannot keep opening up the computer.

I will bear it all in mind for when I change the drive next week.

In the meantimne van anyone suggest a solution to John's posting which
suggests there are drives which will not work alone on an Iyonix. If
it will 4 will work with 5 connected and not without then that doesn't
make much sense to me. Maybe if anyone from Castle is watching there
comments would be useful.

FWIW drive 4 is a replacement 120Gb drive and drive 5 used to be drive
4 then became drive 5 and that is the original 80Gb disc.
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 2:49:16 PM
On 25 Jun, JayCee wrote in message
  <249898804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>:

> In the meantimne van anyone suggest a solution to John's posting which
> suggests there are drives which will not work alone on an Iyonix. If  it
> will 4 will work with 5 connected and not without then that doesn't
> make much sense to me. Maybe if anyone from Castle is watching there
> comments would be useful.

Perhaps asking on the support list might be sensible?

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

0
news1571 (3486)
6/25/2005 3:55:20 PM
In article <249898804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
   JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> FWIW drive 4 is a replacement 120Gb drive and drive 5 used to be drive
> 4 then became drive 5 and that is the original 80Gb disc.

IWAL - in fact, that's the problem.

In that case, if you didn't alter the drive settings, the current drive 4
is set as a slave and thus won't be seen when you remove :5 which is still
set to master from when it was originally :4.

Set drive 4 to master and all will be solved. When you add your new disc,
set it to slave.

John

Or, as your new disc will possibly be set to master anyway on receipt, do
nothing until you fit it.

--
John Williams, Wirral, Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses!
Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <4d809f275dUCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>
>           "John Williams (News)" <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In article <249898804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
>>    JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> FWIW drive 4 is a replacement 120Gb drive and drive 5 used to be drive
>>> 4 then became drive 5 and that is the original 80Gb disc.
>>
>> IWAL - in fact, that's the problem.
>>
>> In that case, if you didn't alter the drive settings, the current drive 4
>> is set as a slave and thus won't be seen when you remove :5 which is still
>> set to master from when it was originally :4.
>>
>> Set drive 4 to master and all will be solved. When you add your new disc,
>> set it to slave.

To try to draw this to a close I have tried various things suggested
already to no avail.

I then finally managed to get drive 4 out of the computer and it was
set to 'master with slave', I have changed this to 'master' and
ensured it is on the end of the cable and then restarted the machine
without drive 5 connected.

Nothing, zilch, the drive doesn't even spin up and the screen stays a
dark shade of black.

This is totally puzzling; the boot is not searching for anything on
drive 5, it isn't even starting. But as soon as I plug drive 5 back in
everything works fine.

I have also tried it with just drive 5 with a boot on it as master and
that works as well.

Does this mean I am wasting my money on another drive as without drive
5 (remember the original drive with the machine but since reformatted)
it seems my machine will not work and that is the one I want to
upgrade.

JayCee

0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 6:34:40 PM
In article <a164ad804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
   JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Nothing, zilch, the drive doesn't even spin up and the screen stays a
> dark shade of black.

It's plugged into the cable wrong. Back to front normally gives those
symptoms.

On 25 Jun 2005 Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> On 25 Jun, JayCee wrote in message
>   <249898804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>:
>
> > In the meantimne van anyone suggest a solution to John's posting which
> > suggests there are drives which will not work alone on an Iyonix. If  it
> > will 4 will work with 5 connected and not without then that doesn't
> > make much sense to me. Maybe if anyone from Castle is watching there
> > comments would be useful.
>
> Perhaps asking on the support list might be sensible?

There might be problems for some people. Since last night my posts to
smartgroups have bounced. Checking today and www.smartgroups.com is
redirected to a network solutions holding page, so it appears PlusNet's
DNS isn't recognising it, neither is the ISP on a remote connection I've
called up. It is working form other ISPs as I'm still getting emails from
smartgroup lists.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
6/25/2005 7:08:20 PM
In message <4d80afdbb4steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com>
          Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> In article <a164ad804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
>    JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Nothing, zilch, the drive doesn't even spin up and the screen stays a
>> dark shade of black.
>
> It's plugged into the cable wrong. Back to front normally gives those
> symptoms.

It is definitely the correct way round it isn't physically possible to
plug it in the other way - but as I mentioned drive 4 will only work
if drive 5 is also present in the machine.

JayCee
0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 8:15:14 PM
In article <5e76b0804d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>,
   druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> There might be problems for some people. Since last night my posts to
> smartgroups have bounced. Checking today and www.smartgroups.com is
> redirected to a network solutions holding page, so it appears PlusNet's
> DNS isn't recognising it, neither is the ISP on a remote connection
> I've called up. It is working form other ISPs as I'm still getting
> emails from smartgroup lists.

Probably a lightning strike on something important. If you were not aware
of how bad things were down here then the BBC News site had ten pics
taken in Dorset in the early hours of Friday morning of lightning. The
storms came for us during the afternoon. A large hotel was struck nearby
and a large part burned out - we could smell it at a distance of about 3
miles.

What a time to pick to change ISP and sort backing-up trouble due to SCSI
connection woes.

Lionel

--
    ___          ______
   /  /         /  ___/       4 children         | Sea Vixen for pugnacity

From an OS that Windows is too young to remember. ;-)
0
lionels (537)
6/25/2005 9:06:40 PM
In article <07a6b5804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
   JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <4d80afdbb4steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com>
>           Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> > In article <a164ad804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
> >    JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Nothing, zilch, the drive doesn't even spin up and the screen stays a
> >> dark shade of black.

> > It's plugged into the cable wrong. Back to front normally gives those
> > symptoms.

> It is definitely the correct way round it isn't physically possible to
> plug it in the other way - but as I mentioned drive 4 will only work
> if drive 5 is also present in the machine.

Different set of symptoms there. As described it sounds like 5 is set as
master and so when it is removed there is no disc end control function
active and you see no drives.

There exists the possibility that you didn't fully describe the problem
with the drive 5 removed and that if you leave the machine long enough it
eventually starts but with a bare flash ROM based OS content.

You have to remember we can't see your machine so you have to be *very*
precise about what does and what does not happen. Short lines for
preference rather than war and peace. :-)

In message <a164ad804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> I have also tried it with just drive 5 with a boot on it as master and
> that works as well.
>
> Does this mean I am wasting my money on another drive as without drive
> 5 (remember the original drive with the machine but since reformatted)
> it seems my machine will not work and that is the one I want to
> upgrade.
>
> JayCee

This is just what I had with a western Digital drive, I since fitted an 80
Gb Maxtor as a second drive which works as master or slave. Drive 4 or
Drive 5, so I concluded that the WD drive and my iyonix did not like each
other. (I believe Risc OS and cavier drives have a long history of not
talking to each other)

John

--

In message <4d80bf2ad4steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com>
          Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> In article <07a6b5804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
>    JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <4d80afdbb4steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com>
>>           Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>> > It's plugged into the cable wrong. Back to front normally gives those
>> > symptoms.
>
>> It is definitely the correct way round it isn't physically possible to
>> plug it in the other way - but as I mentioned drive 4 will only work
>> if drive 5 is also present in the machine.
>
> Different set of symptoms there. As described it sounds like 5 is set as
> master and so when it is removed there is no disc end control function
> active and you see no drives.
>
> There exists the possibility that you didn't fully describe the problem
> with the drive 5 removed and that if you leave the machine long enough it
> eventually starts but with a bare flash ROM based OS content.
>
> You have to remember we can't see your machine so you have to be *very*
> precise about what does and what does not happen. Short lines for
> preference rather than war and peace. :-)

Sorry I do tend to go on....:)

Basically:

Drive 4 is 120Gb WD on end of cable set to master

Drive 5 is 80Gb Maxtor on center of cable set to slave

Both connected - machine works

4 only connected to end of cable machine does not boot
No disc activity and blank screen

5 only connected to end of cable machine boots with bare flash ROM

Thats about as basic as I can make it.

PS I never did finish War and Peace!

0
jaycee (105)
6/25/2005 10:23:41 PM
In message <d93cc2804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>
          JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> PS I never did finish War and Peace!

It was the butler that did it...

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website:
<http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/index.html>
0
Graeme (792)
6/26/2005 7:43:41 AM
In article <d93cc2804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>, JayCee
<jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <4d80bf2ad4steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> Steven Pampling
>           <steve.pampling@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> > You have to remember we can't see your machine so you have to be
> > *very* precise about what does and what does not happen. Short lines
> > for preference rather than war and peace. :-)
> >
> Sorry I do tend to go on....:)

> Basically:

> Drive 4 is 120Gb WD on end of cable set to master

Hmmm, after Fujitsu my second most amusing manufacturer is WD.
(That's "amusement" with a deeply ironic twist)
As I recall some models have different settings for master *with* slave and
master as single drive.

> Drive 5 is 80Gb Maxtor on center of cable set to slave

> Both connected - machine works

A working controller on the drive line.

> 4 only connected to end of cable machine does not boot No disc activity
> and blank screen.

Something connected but not a working controller - I think it would time
out eventually and give a minimal ROM based setup.(Unless the incompatible
controller hangs things)

> 5 only connected to end of cable machine boots with bare flash ROM

Looks like there is no !Boot on the drive available (or the boot config
points at a different disc name) so all you get is the ROM based
components.
I suspect if you  did have then it would boot like a normal single drive
machine.
Open a task window and check: What response does
 *status drive
 give you?

> Thats about as basic as I can make it.

> PS I never did finish War and Peace!

I took a brief look and decided that if I ever developed bad insomnia there
was a solution...

In article <4d80bb4bbelionels@argonet.co.uk>,
   Lionel Smith <lionels@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> A large hotel was struck nearby
> and a large part burned out - we could smell it at a distance of about 3
> miles.

Hey, if it was that smelly it's probably a good job it burned down. :-)

On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Drive 4 is 120Gb WD on end of cable set to master
> Drive 5 is 80Gb Maxtor on center of cable set to slave

Do you really need the extra 40GB? If not just use the 80GB by itself and put
the 120GB in the PC. If you do need more space, use both and get another
drive for the PC.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
6/26/2005 9:25:24 PM
In message <9ed840814d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> Drive 4 is 120Gb WD on end of cable set to master
>> Drive 5 is 80Gb Maxtor on center of cable set to slave
>
> Do you really need the extra 40GB? If not just use the 80GB by itself and put
> the 120GB in the PC. If you do need more space, use both and get another
> drive for the PC.

Many thanks to everyone of you who have made contributions to this
thread.

Druck's last one has made me consider my means of data storage and I
may make more use of 'off machine' storage.

It would seem that from what some people have said Western Digital
(whom I always though a reliable manufacturer) don't live happily with
our machines, although having said that I haven't (touch wood) had any
problems with my 120Gb drive whilst the Maxtor has been in the machine
as well.

Thanks to everyone again, you have really helped.

JayCee
0
jaycee (105)
6/26/2005 9:48:50 PM
In article <1c0b43814d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk>,
   JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> It would seem that from what some people have said Western Digital
> (whom I always though a reliable manufacturer) don't live happily with
> our machines,

My first experience of strangeness with drives was a WD drive and I was
trying to fit a set of them as second drives in 486 PeeCees (Yep, before
Pentium)

Freebie: Original Acorn 210Mb Hard Disc
In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no defects. Does anyone want this drive for the cost of postage? Email me at the address below. Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ On 12 Sep 2007 Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of > old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard > discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ > (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 > installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which > would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; > it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no > defects. These drives are so far past their expected lifetime, don't rely on them continuing to function. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page ...

FS: Misc Acorn (and non-Acorn) hardware
Like Peter Naulls yesterday, I'm trying to get rid of my remaining Risc PC and the related hardware. I've put them on eBay. The Acorn-specific items are: Acorn Risc PC StrongARM 233 MHz + Power-tec SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202188067 i-cubed EtherLan600 for Acorn Risc PC/A7000 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202186713 Acorn Risc PC power supply, backplane and screws http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202185817 RISC OS Select http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202184767 STD PS2Mouse for Acorn Risc PC http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202183392 Acorn MEU + Plextor PlexWriter RW 4220 internal SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202182624 Graphic tablet PaintPal Deluxe http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202181086 The rest is not Acorn-specific but was connected to either a Risc PC or a Iyonix and therefore may be of interest here as well: Mitsumi FA402M 3.5" Floppy and 7in1 Media Drive http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202179719 Sony 3.5" Floppy MPF 920 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202177159 ELSA MicroLink ISDN 4U Router/Hub http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5777800061 Iomega ZIP 100 Drive external SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202173954 HP ScanJet 3c SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...

Hard disc sick?
Hello, Don't know if this is a hardware issue or if it's just s/ware causing unnescessary concern. My HD verifys 100% perfect but I have recently strarted getting disc error messages when I load MPro. Nothing seems to get corrupted and everything works fine once I've clicked OK on all the errors but obviously I don't want to miss a warning sign that my HD's about to expire. I'm thinking it could well be hardware as also it keeps on re-initialising during use, certainly never used to park the heads after periods of inactivity which is what it appears to be doing now. Any one any thoughts? Pity there isn't a SATA podule available, I've got an 80GB SATA drive with about 3 hrs. use on it just sitting in a box. Also when I've got some money I'll be looking out for a new IDE podule as that Simtec one just isn't doing the job, am only getting onboard IDE performance levels out of it - think it's simply not working with DMA. If any one has a decent IDE card for sale I'd be interested to hear from them. Cheers, Mike.... -- Michael Hambley - mike@armpowered.co.uk http://www.armpowered.co.uk - My little corner of the web. http://www.dispose-it.co.uk - IT disposal/recycling & data destruction. http://www.ecoputers.co.uk - New and refurbished computers, peripherals etc. In message <7d2abf644d.Michael@armpowered.co.uk> Michael Hambley <mike@armpowered.co.uk> wrote: > expire. I'm thinking it c...

More hard disc woes
After all the difficulties I recently had -- but never solved -- getting a 120 GB disc recognised on a RISC OS 4 RiscPC, I've now tried another brand-new disc. This one is 80 GB (a size that is known to be usable on RO 4), and I haven't run HForm or similar tools on it as it came "ready to use" and I don't want to risk rendering it completely unusable. Once again it is not recognised, suggesting that there is something fundamentally wrong here. The 40 GB it replaced worked fine as slave to the 16 GB, the 40 GB is now the master and the 80 is jumpered as slave, so it's really rather puzzling! When I had the same problem with the 120 GB I also tried having it as the master with no slave and that made no difference, so I haven't tried that this time (I really don't fancy stripping down to the motherboard level again!) and strongly feel that it would change nothing. I ran DiscKnight to get some basic info, and the results (below) are intriguing, though I am no expert and do not know why it turns up this result. The number 219 keeps popping up, but I don't know what that signifies if anything. I am hoping that at least one of the experts here will read the report and immediately recignise something very silly that can easily be corrected. If not, I now have *two* spare hard discs(!) DiscKnight 1.40 (28-Dec-2002) [32bit] Serial no. 21300084 Arguments: -v -t -s ADFS 5 Boot block - Boot Record Number of Tracks : 0 Number of...

SCSI Hard Disc
My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their anything I can try? Luckily I only use it for temporary audio files so nothing important on it. I ran a test on it just the other day and it reported ok. Perhaps coincidence? -- *There's no place like www.home.com * Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article <4d1b9717e5dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > anything I can try? ... Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ In article <4d1c16edfcbric-nospam@argonet.co.uk>, Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > > anything I can try? ... > Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? No. -- *I yell because I care Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article &...

A3010 Hard disc
Hi. Know this is a tall order but does anyone have an IDE interface for the A3010 which I could use to connect a hard disc to the machine? Also, I need a user port on the expansion card. I dont need a hard disc, I have two in an A7000 and I could take one for this. Know it wont fit, but neatness doesnt really matter. I just need the inteface. Alternatively does anyone have an expansion card of any sort whatsoever for an A7000 with a user port on it? I really dont care what it is so long as theres a user port (for an external control box I want to get working for a model railway). If anyone has one they dont want could they email me? Dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk Would prefer an email as I wont have a chance to check the group for a while. A freebie would be great (I would pay postage etc) but otherwise email me with a price and I'll consider it. Cant pay too much tho Im a poor skivvy student!! :-) Many thanks in advance Jon Dallimore On 22-Jun-2005, "Jon Dallimore" <dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk> wrote: > Know this is a tall order but does anyone have an IDE interface for > the A3010 which I could use to connect a hard disc to the machine? > Also, I need a user port on the expansion card. I dont need a hard > disc, I have two in an A7000 and I could take one for this. Know it > wont fit, but neatness doesnt really matter. I just need the > inteface. > > Alternatively does anyone have an expansion card of any sort > whatsoever for an...

Hard disc dying?
Today the hard disc on the A5000 at the Wandle Industrial Museum (which is, not, I may add, an exhibit!) displayed worrying behaviour, spontaneously spinning down in the middle of print spooling and then failing to spin up at all when the computer was re-started, causing it to hang for a long time mid-boot and when the hard disc icon was clicked upon. I took the top off the machine and tried unplugging and reseating the power supply lead to the hard disc, which was all I could think of, and the machine did then start up properly the next time I tried it, but I don't know if this was a coincidence or not. The computer is due to be 'upgraded' to a Windows machine in the next few months and I was relying on being able to process the data into a lowest-common-denominator form for transfer, e.g. CSV, HTML, plain text etc. I have a spare hard disc of suitable size (albeit of similar age to the original). Is the defect likely to be in the power supply from the motherboard or in the disc mechanism? i.e. will replacing the hard disc improve reliability or not? There is only 58Mb used space on the disc at present, some of which is unnecessary software -- for example, DigitalCD on a machine where the sound doesn't work -- and I am hoping that I can probably keep the old hard disc running for long enough to copy the data across if required. -- Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie == We prefer to speak evil of ourselves than not speak of oursel...

FS: Hard discs
If anyone is interested, I've got hold of a bunch of hard discs. They're Fujitsu units, MPD3043AT, 4.3GB capacity. Ideal to give yourself a bit more space. Offers to the return address on here. Note that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I've got pukka boxes too, so mailing is no problem. Cheers Mike -- Michael Gilbert: in his own write OK, so there's the Trident in Bangor In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > .... Note > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails > headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I quite understand, but I did smile, I thought you worked in Technical support:-) That would be one of reducing your workload;-) Chris Evans -- CJE Micro's / NCS / Fourth Dimension 'RISC OS Specialists' Telephone: (01903) 523222 Fax: (01903) 523679 chris@cjemicros.co.uk http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/ 78 Brighton Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11 2EN, UK. In article <ant221229b49pErr@client.cjemicros.co.uk>, Chris Evans <URL:mailto:chris@cjemicros.co.uk> wrote: > In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert > <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > > > .... Note > > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard...

Replacement Hard Disc
I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the maximum hard disc size that I can fit is - I've been unable to run HForm (I've tried several versions) with a 40Gb HD. So, some questions: What is the maximum size HD that I can add with the current OS and what version of HForm would I use? Can I just add some spare 3.7 ROMs I have and would it make any difference? Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)? What upgrades would make sense in this situation? Thanking you in advance. John Haines In article <4cc4b35ec8jhaines@argonet.co.uk>, John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than > about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)? > What upgrades would make sense in this situation? One answer might be an IDE card. Those can allow you to partition a larger disc so you have several all within the 3.6 maximum. IIRC. -- *I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable. Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. On 25 Jun 2004 John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to > have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the &...

My hard disc locked
I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the data.( both of them are in NTFS format) few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not competitible w/ NTFS) So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my drive D's format. There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. Plz help me! On 19 Feb 2004 02:18:34 -0800, antony617hk@yahoo.com.hk (antony617) wrote: >I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the >data.( both of them are in NTFS format) >few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and >install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) >Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not >competitible w/ NTFS) >So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW >format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't >format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my >drive D's format. >There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. >Plz help me! I found this in a different group: ---------------------------------------------- >Bednarek <mb a...

Failed hard disc
The main hard disc in my RiscPC seems to have given up. It threw up a disc error (which may have been 5, sadly I didn't write it down) and now all I'm getting is "Disc not found...". Attempts to access it just result in the machine freezing for long periods of time and it makes the occasional unhappy crunching noise when powered up. I'm assuming it's dead, though if anyone has any suggestions as to troubleshooting methods I'd be interested... The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a bit out of date in this respect. -- Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/ In message <2ac633d44c.steve@helvellyn.stevefryatt.org.uk> Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote: [snip] > The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are > there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a > replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem > isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a > bit out of date in this respect. I am running a Maxtor Diamond +9 (Calypso) for over 15 month now without any trouble. It is connected to the inter...

Hard disc scratch
My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause the system to hang. I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that Scandisk can't overcome this. Anyone know of any utility that can perhaps put the bad sectors into an "envelope" so that they are simply ignored by the system ? Salvador Freemanson wrote: > My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system > (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. > > Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. > Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and > then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. > > We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. > But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause > the system to hang. > > I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc > when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that > Scandisk can't overcome this. ...

Hardware hard in Linux?
OK, here's the scenario. Dual boot box consisting of a P4P-800-E DLX, Nvidia video card, printer, scanner, bells, whistles, and it's something I'm proud of. The Linux side is running Slack 10.2 with a custom 2.6.16 kernel and gware Gnome for the desktop. Mrs. Phist decided to buy me a wireless keyboard and mouse since my old ones are almost five years old and I've beaten them all to hell. She's not the most tech savvy person in the world and just went to Best Buy and got a Microsoft keyboard/mouse combo for about $40 CAN. Not a bad deal, but I'm going from PS2 wired k...

Hard Disc linking
Hi, I have just installed a second hard disc (with no links, = slave) and all works perfectly. I had to work out whether the boot disc was configured as a Master or as Drive select so I checked the documentation that came with the disc many years ago. I was surprised as to how the boot disc is configured. All works well was I didn't alter anything but I am left curious. The boot disc is a Maxtor 5T030H3 and is linked as follows; Link between Pins 1 and 6 Link between Pins 2 and 3 X = Pin O = No Pin 1 2 3 4 5 X X X O X X X X X X 6 7 ...

Hard Disc format
I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults that HForm gave me. JayCee JayCee wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. ADFS (and HForm) carry a physical limitation of 128Gb. Drives >128Gb use feature sets not used on smaller drives, so the ADFS module needs to support that. Whilst the API for Filecore on RISC OS 5 has been designed to support 256Gb, I'm not aware of that restriction being lifted from ADFS. Select also currently formats and uses drives up to 128Gb on ADFS. Best wishes, Drew On 2 Jul 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. Use DiscKnight's verbose display to see what size you've actually formatted it to. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ In message <284027844d.druck@druck.freeuk.net> dr...

Some Acorn user discs
Hello, I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth anything to anyone out there? I haven't decided what to do with them yet, but if no one in my immediate circle can find a use for them, perhaps someone else might offer something for them. W.Simpson In article <JMjXc.415$Ch2.349@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, W.Simpson <simpsons.dot.box@ntlworld.dot.com> wrote: > Hello, > I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which > need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth an...

Hard disc recovery
I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the files on it ? Thanks On 3 Apr, 22:45, "freddy" <dsd....@hehg.com> wrote: > I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone > recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the > files on it ? > > Thanks Hi freddy, Ouch! Bad luck. Thoughts that spring to mind are: -Dump an image of the drive 'as is' before you do anything else... ....mind you 120gb is going to need some room. Do you have a (um) PC/ Mac with scsi you could use to make the dump if space is tight on your Acorn..? -Something like DiscKnight may help - really an IDE recovery tool but you never know... -Having backed-up the drive first, repartitioning with the original map *may* get you a fair bit of your data back. -Thanks for the contributions :-)- Regards, Charles. Charlie wrote: > On 3 Apr, 22:45, "freddy" <dsd....@hehg.com> wrote: >> I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone >> recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the >> files on it ? > -Something like DiscKnight may help - really an IDE recovery tool but > you never know... As long as the disc hasn't been repartitioned and reinitialised with the same sizes as originally (which will overwrite the disc ma...

Hard Disc on Iyonix
The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that I should purchase please? DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). On 14 May 2012, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: [snip] > DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the > existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). Disknight checks the directory structure. To find disc errors you need to *verify Tony In article <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: > The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 > at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same > or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same > time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that > I should purchase please? This type of error may also be due to the power supply going off. -- Chris Johnson Chris Johnson <chrisjohnson+news@spamcop.net> wrote: > In article > <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, > svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote...

Hard disc recovery
I had a somewhat strange experience today with a hard drive. Some months ago I decided to upgrade the hard drive on my PC from 100GB to 160GB. The drives were formatted to NTFS. I used the now spare 100GB drive in my Risc PC, initialising it with my Unipod, where it has been used since February this year. As the 100GB was a bit over the top and the PC again needed more space, I reverted the Risc PC to its original 10GB drive and put the 100GB drive - still with all the Risc PC stuff on it - back into the PC, as a slave to the other drive. When I turned the PC on, it went into a half hour ...

Angst over Iyonix hard disc
First sorry for posting here but because of my posting address I can't easily post to mail lists. Today I was informed of an error during the execution of the boot sequence. After acknowledging the message I went on to boot most of the system but only 1 icon was on the pin board. I went on to find DiscKnight, and did eventually a repair with an undo. This took a time, found several errors, about 50, which it said it had repaired. I went on to do another check, which said there were even more, over a hundred. I did another repair, or at least started it, but it hung at some point. ...

SCSI Hard Disc #2
Can I confirm that an HD should spin up if powered, but the SCSI bus not plugged in? -- *You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive * Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. On 12 Dec 2004 "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: > Can I confirm that an HD should spin up if powered, but the SCSI bus not > plugged in? Usually. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ In article <4f6a3e1c4d.druck@druck.freeuk.net>, druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote: > Usually. I have a situation here whereby the IDC connector at the back of a scsi caddy (rack) housing can ease out due to it being an interference fit with the nylon surround of the adjacent power connector. This has been known to cause a drive not to answer. I have shaved a little off the nylon to help but it cannot be completely cured. It just takes longer for a problem to show up, that's if I have not carried out a routine service in time. Lionel -- ___ ______ / / / ___/ 4 children | Sea Vixen for pugnacity / / ionel A.| \ mith 8 grandchildren, | Hunter for elegance / /____ __\ | no wonder life is a breeze | Phantom for clout /_______/ /_____/ http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/lionels | ZFC B+4+4 From an OS...

Hard disc pretending it is not formatted
My back up hard disc � only 12 months old - on a RISC PC is showing a message �Error when reading ADFS::5.$. Is it formatted?� DiscKnight has failed to repair it, is there anything to be done. Will reformatting and backing up again from scratch help and, if so, where do I get an appropriate formatting programme? Many thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions people can make. Tim Hartley -- �What life is then to a man that is without wine? for it was made to make men glad.� "Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis" In message <d8efe9c34e.tgh@dd30.orpheusnet.co.uk> Timothy Hartley <tgh@NOorpheusSPAmail.co.uk> wrote: > > My back up hard disc � only 12 months old - on a RISC PC is showing a > message �Error when reading ADFS::5.$. Is it formatted?� > DiscKnight has failed to repair it, is there anything to be done. > Will reformatting and backing up again from scratch help and, if so, > where do I get an appropriate formatting programme? > > Many thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions people can make. Try removing and re-fitting cables at both ends, and try a different hard drive cable. Also check that the power cables are connected and giving power. I had a Maxtor with the same symptoms after 6 months of use and got the disk going with the following procedure. NOTE you do this at your OWN risk and if something goes terribly wrong then don't blame me. What I did was with the computer turned...

Hard disk for Acorn A3000
Hi, Please can anyone tell me where I can get a new or second-hand hard disk for my A3000 from? I read article in the Acorn User about A3000, and I'm therefore interested although I don't really know how easy it is to fit one. Regards Paolo Paolo Borzini wrote: > Hi, > Please can anyone tell me where I can get a new or second-hand > hard disk for my A3000 from? > I read article in the Acorn User about A3000, > and I'm therefore interested although I don't > really know how easy it is to fit one. > Any old 2 1/2" HDD will do, the sort for laptops. You'll want a smallish one though, 512Mb Max I believe. You'll also need a 2 1/2" cable. Cheers, -- Russ Tarbox Remove THELID to reply by e-mail In article <403a2e5e$0$16927$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>, Russ Tarbox <russ-ebay@THELIDuserve.co.uk> wrote: > Any old 2 1/2" HDD will do, the sort for laptops. > You'll want a smallish one though, 512Mb Max I believe. You'll also need > a 2 1/2" cable. You forgot about the IDE filing system and interface, Russ. Only the A3020 has inbuilt support, the 3000 and 3010 will require an interface card of some sort. Hope this is of some help, John -- John Williams, Wirral, Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses! change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention! Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/ In message <2a057948.0402230652.da56c4...

Reading a corrupted hard disc.
A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed up recently - went belly-up on me yesterday. Even DiscKnight says it can't fix it. I've downloaded a trial version of Commander by Paul Vigay, also I see that Zap has the ability to read disc sectors. It's a 2Gig drive that I could copy somewhere else, I suppose. The thing is, I don't really understand how I can recover sections of the drive: presumably I'd end up with a large data file, or files - how would I recover the files and documents therein? Are there instructions available, or can someone advise me what I should do? Assistance much appreciated - there are many files on this drive that will be awkward, if not impossible to replace. -- Kell Gatherer kell@locsource.com The Location Source On 10 Jan 2004 Kell Gatherer <nospam@locsource.com> wrote: > A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed up > recently - went belly-up on me yesterday. Even DiscKnight says it can't > fix it. I dont remember you contacting me about it/ ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ In article <3eabbb6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>, news@druck.freeuk.com says... > On 10 Jan 2004 Kell Gatherer <nospam@locsource.com> wrote: > > > A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed up > > recently - went belly-up on me yes...

Web resources about - Hard Discs - comp.sys.acorn.hardware

Flying disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... the sport, see Ultimate (sport) . For the amusement ride, see Frisbee (ride) . For the type of UFO, see Flying saucer . The shape of the disc, ...

Next-gen Ultra HD Blu-ray discs probably won’t be cracked for a while
DVDFab, a software tool for ripping and decrypting DVDs and Blu-ray discs, will not be upgraded to support newer Ultra HD (4K) Blu-ray discs. ...

Eternal 5D nanostructured glass optical discs hold 360TB of data and last billions of years
... needs may be met by a new invention from the University of Southampton. Not only can its newly announced Eternal 5D nanostructured glass discs ...

PEARS cover Everclear's "Chemical Smile," Black Tusk contribute b-side to flexi-disc series
We recently posted a ripping track off New Orleans melodic hardcore band PEARS' upcoming album for Fat Wreck Chords, and now they've released ...

4K Blu-ray discs on sale early at Best Buy
Despite an official release date of March 2016, one of America's largest retailers has begun selling the next-generation discs early.

Discs of Vaughn: Tales from the Borderlands gets a physical edition
... The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us . Now, Tales from the Borderlands gets that treatment. 2K Games announced today that a physical disc-based ...

Wire cage supports disc-shaped diffuser in Front's Plane lamp
Thin metal strands support the circular diffuser and strip of LEDs in these lamps by Stockholm studio Front for Swedish brand Zero

'5D' discs can store data until well after the sun burns out
Researchers at the University of Southampton's Optical Research Center announced on Tuesday that they've perfected a technique that can record ...

Microsoft Was Right, Video Game Discs Are Stupid
Yesterday, I got my hard copy of The Division. Two and a half hours after putting the disc in, I was playing the game. With discs taking almost ...

Xbox 360 scratched discs: Why the U.S. Supreme Court will hear the case, a decade later
... Court agreed on Friday to review a lawsuit between Microsoft and Xbox 360 users who allege that a defect in the console caused their game discs ...