HDMI to SVGA convertor

I am testing a set-up where the video output from a Freeview box or
computer is HDMI, but the monitor has an D-SUB 15-pin SVGA input. This
needs a digital-to-analogue convertor.

So far I get a picture using my Pandaboard with an Iiyama CRT monitor
and also with a 42" Plasma screen. There is no sound as the HDMI
output I am using on the Pandaboard doesn't carry sound. Using a
Raspberry-Pi insteaad of the Pandaboard I once got a picture with the
Plasma screen, but couldn't repeat it, and haven't got anything from
the Iiyama monitor.

There has been no success with a Freeview box instead of a computer.

The Raspberry-Pi is supposed to output sound as well as picture
through its HDMI output.

The computers are running RISC OS v5.22 or v5.23, although I once
tried with a Raspberry-Pi running Linux Debian 6 and again got
nothing.

Plasma screen with Freeview box and a previous convertor did work
giving both picture and sound, the sound coming from separate
speakers, until it suddenly stopped working. Suspecting that the
convertor had failed, I got a new convertor.

Any suggestions?

Dave Lane

David

I tried without success to use a widescreen HD TV with an HDMI input with
one of my RPCs. I bought a S-VGA to HDMI adpator. Could get it to work
just fine with a PC, but no MDF I made or got sent would work on the RPC.

So concluded that HDMI and RISC OS didn't like one another. ;-)

--
*I get enough exercise just pushing my luck.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
0
Dave
10/23/2016 11:54:21 PM
In article <55d3cbc1e1dave@davenoise.co.uk>,
   Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> I tried without success to use a widescreen HD TV with an HDMI input with
> one of my RPCs. I bought a S-VGA to HDMI adpator. Could get it to work
> just fine with a PC, but no MDF I made or got sent would work on the RPC.

> So concluded that HDMI and RISC OS didn't like one another. ;-)

not all converters are the same.  At present my Iyonix is feeding an HDMI
only monitor via a powered  adaptor. That may be where some problems arise
- power.  (I've also fed a Rpi into a SVGA projector)

But on Saturday talk to the "man who has everything in stock".  He will
have tested things and have something to suit.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
0
> I tried without success to use a widescreen HD TV with an HDMI input with
> one of my RPCs. I bought a S-VGA to HDMI adpator. Could get it to work
> just fine with a PC, but no MDF I made or got sent would work on the RPC.
>
> So concluded that HDMI and RISC OS didn't like one another. ;-)

An interesting anecdote, but what has this to do with the OPs question?
0
Someone
10/24/2016 7:54:15 AM
In article <a5e5bdd355.D_Lane@D_Lane.PhoneCoop.coop>, David R Lane
<D_Lane@PhoneCoop.coop> wrote:
> I am testing a set-up where the video output from a Freeview box or
> computer is HDMI, but the monitor has an D-SUB 15-pin SVGA input. This
> needs a digital-to-analogue convertor.

> So far I get a picture using my Pandaboard with an Iiyama CRT monitor
> and also with a 42" Plasma screen. There is no sound as the HDMI output
> I am using on the Pandaboard doesn't carry sound. Using a Raspberry-Pi
> insteaad of the Pandaboard I once got a picture with the Plasma screen,
> but couldn't repeat it, and haven't got anything from the Iiyama
> monitor.

I've not kept up with the Pandaboard developments. But I am now using an
ARMX6 with the current ARMX6 version of RO. This lets me auto-detect and
use HDMI to a monitor and send audio over HDMI. I have an HDMI 'switch'
that provides spdif breakout for the audio. This works fine, even for 'high
rez' audio and I can thus play this out to an external DAC.

So on my ARMX6/RO system HDMI works nicely, and carries audio.

> There has been no success with a Freeview box instead of a computer.

> The Raspberry-Pi is supposed to output sound as well as picture through
> its HDMI output.

> The computers are running RISC OS v5.22 or v5.23, although I once tried
> with a Raspberry-Pi running Linux Debian 6 and again got nothing.

I haven't used any RPis so don't know their details. But under debian what
do

aplay -l

and

aplay -L

tell you about the audio devices? Note the first command uses a lower-case
'L'. Using lower case gives a brief list. Using upper case gives fuller
details.

To work with alsa you may find these pages help

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Linux/ALSA/ALSAforUsers.html
http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Linux/ALSA/NoMoreSilence.html

You may need to specify the correct device. If the system runs something
like pulse audio, you may need to beat that to death with a big stick to
get what you want. :-)

Under RO, can you run my !SoundCheck app and see what it lists? You can get
a copy from http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/software/index.html

This should tell you what device is selected, etc, under RO. Although again
I don't know what to expect for an RPi. But you may be able to compare
notes with other RPi+RO users.

Jim

Jim
10/24/2016 8:52:53 AM
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> I tried without success to use a widescreen HD TV with an HDMI input
> with one of my RPCs. I bought a S-VGA to HDMI adpator. Could get it to
> work just fine with a PC, but no MDF I made or got sent would work on
> the RPC.

> So concluded that HDMI and RISC OS didn't like one another. ;-)

I suspect the problem was not being able to get the 'right' mode definition
file. However as explained elsewhere, on my ARMX6/RO box the HDMI works
fine and even delivers up to 192k audio which I can then feed to a DAC. The
current OS version lets the machine read the monitor settings from the
monitor.

Jim

Jim
10/24/2016 8:55:20 AM
On 23/10/2016 22:22, David R Lane wrote:

[Big snip]

> Any suggestions?

Seems to be a question about the converter and plasma TV rather than
RISC OS hardware, so you may have more luck using an appropriate newsgroup.

---druck

0
druck
10/24/2016 2:07:39 PM
In article <nuken6$13pj$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
   Someone Somewhere <nntpac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/10/2016 00:54, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > I tried without success to use a widescreen HD TV with an HDMI input
> > with one of my RPCs. I bought a S-VGA to HDMI adpator. Could get it to
> > work just fine with a PC, but no MDF I made or got sent would work on
> > the RPC.
> >
> > So concluded that HDMI and RISC OS didn't like one another. ;-)
> >
> An interesting anecdote, but what has this to do with the OPs question?

Someone, somewhere, will know.

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
0
Dave
10/24/2016 2:17:26 PM
In message <55d3fd0f84noise@audiomisc.co.uk>
          Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <a5e5bdd355.D_Lane@D_Lane.PhoneCoop.coop>, David R Lane
> <D_Lane@PhoneCoop.coop> wrote:
>> I am testing a set-up where the video output from a Freeview box or
>> computer is HDMI, but the monitor has an D-SUB 15-pin SVGA input. This
>> needs a digital-to-analogue convertor.

>> So far I get a picture using my Pandaboard with an Iiyama CRT monitor
>> and also with a 42" Plasma screen. There is no sound as the HDMI output
>> I am using on the Pandaboard doesn't carry sound. Using a Raspberry-Pi
>> insteaad of the Pandaboard I once got a picture with the Plasma screen,
>> but couldn't repeat it, and haven't got anything from the Iiyama
>> monitor.

> I've not kept up with the Pandaboard developments. But I am now using an
> ARMX6 with the current ARMX6 version of RO. This lets me auto-detect and
> use HDMI to a monitor and send audio over HDMI. I have an HDMI 'switch'
> that provides spdif breakout for the audio. This works fine, even for 'high
> rez' audio and I can thus play this out to an external DAC.

> So on my ARMX6/RO system HDMI works nicely, and carries audio.

My ARMX6 running ARMX6_OS8 (a version of RISC OS 5.23 supplied by
R-Comp) doesn't have sound through HDMI. I checked Configure and it
was set for sound, but testing the system beep gave nothing. So I
don't know what version of the OS you have got? I wasn't aware of
anything later than ARMX6_OS8.

>> There has been no success with a Freeview box instead of a computer.

>> The Raspberry-Pi is supposed to output sound as well as picture through
>> its HDMI output.

>> The computers are running RISC OS v5.22 or v5.23, although I once tried
>> with a Raspberry-Pi running Linux Debian 6 and again got nothing.

> I haven't used any RPis so don't know their details. But under debian what
> do

> aplay -l

> and

> aplay -L

> tell you about the audio devices? Note the first command uses a lower-case
> 'L'. Using lower case gives a brief list. Using upper case gives fuller
> details.

aplay -l  gives the following lines where I have abbreviated by
X = bcm2835 ALSA     and
Y = ALSA .
card 0: Y  [X],  device0: X [X]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice#0: subdevice #0
Subdevice#1: subdevice #1
Subdevice#7: subdevice #7

aplay -L   gives
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (captive)
default: CARD = Y
X, X
Default Audio Device
sysdefault: CARD = Y
X, X

I got a picture on the analogue monitor (SVGA), but no sound. (The
previous test with Debian 6 was with the Panasonic plasma screen
instead of this Iiyama monitor)

I have just tried using the HDMI output on my wife's laptop running
Windows to the Iiyama monitor and got both picture and sound. This, at
least, proves that the convertor is working for sound as well as
picture.

> To work with alsa you may find these pages help

> http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Linux/ALSA/ALSAforUsers.html
> http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Linux/ALSA/NoMoreSilence.html

> You may need to specify the correct device. If the system runs something
> like pulse audio, you may need to beat that to death with a big stick to
> get what you want. :-)

> Under RO, can you run my !SoundCheck app and see what it lists? You can get
> a copy from http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/software/index.html

> This should tell you what device is selected, etc, under RO. Although again
> I don't know what to expect for an RPi. But you may be able to compare
> notes with other RPi+RO users.

I will follow up these suggestions later.

> Jim

Dave

--
They hang the man and flog the woman
That steals the goose from off the common,
<D_Lane@PhoneCoop.coop> wrote:
> In message <55d3fd0f84noise@audiomisc.co.uk> Jim Lesurf
>           <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

> > In article <a5e5bdd355.D_Lane@D_Lane.PhoneCoop.coop>, David R Lane
> > <D_Lane@PhoneCoop.coop> wrote:
[snip]
> > So on my ARMX6/RO system HDMI works nicely, and carries audio.

> My ARMX6 running ARMX6_OS8 (a version of RISC OS 5.23 supplied by
> R-Comp) doesn't have sound through HDMI. I checked Configure and it was
> set for sound, but testing the system beep gave nothing. So I don't
> know what version of the OS you have got? I wasn't aware of anything
> later than ARMX6_OS8.

I'm running the *R-Comp* version RO5.23 (29 Jun 16). I think this is
ARMX6_OS8. But I think the HDMI should either be now, or will be, added to
the ROOL version of RO.

If it is available or used, !SoundCheck should tell you.

The current version of the ROSS Document from
http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/temp/ROSSDocument.pdf
explains how to use it, etc.

[snip]

> aplay -l  gives the following lines where I have abbreviated by X =
> bcm2835 ALSA     and Y = ALSA . **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices
> **** card 0: Y  [X],  device0: X [X] Subdevices: 8/8 Subdevice#0:
> subdevice #0 Subdevice#1: subdevice #1 ...... ...... .... Subdevice#7:
> subdevice #7

> aplay -L   gives null Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero
> samples (captive) default: CARD = Y X, X Default Audio Device
> sysdefault: CARD = Y X, X Default Audio Device

That looks like the system can't see any HDMI audio ports. So either the
hardware connected at the time isn't detected as accepting audio via HDMI,
or doesn't offer it, or the Linux install doesn't cover it. (Afraid I have
no idea what sound modules, etc, the RPi distros may include.)

Note that the HDMI physical connections may be used by a subset of
protocols that omit audio. This has been the case for the ARMX6 until the
recent addition of the HDMI audio. Again, I don't know what the RPi
hardware may support or omit. So can't comment on this.

> I got a picture on the analogue monitor (SVGA), but no sound. (The
> previous test with Debian 6 was with the Panasonic plasma screen
> instead of this Iiyama monitor)

> I have just tried using the HDMI output on my wife's laptop running
> Windows to the Iiyama monitor and got both picture and sound. This, at
> least, proves that the convertor is working for sound as well as
> picture.

OK, with Debian on RPi it looks like I can't comment further as I don't
know much about that combination.

But your ARMX6 running RO should, I think, be able to deliver audio now
over HDMI.

Jim

Jim
10/25/2016 9:01:10 AM
In message <69c04ad455.D_Lane@D_Lane.PhoneCoop.coop>
          David R Lane <D_Lane@PhoneCoop.coop> wrote:

>My ARMX6 running ARMX6_OS8 (a version of RISC OS 5.23 supplied by
>R-Comp) doesn't have sound through HDMI. I checked Configure and it
>was set for sound, but testing the system beep gave nothing. So I
>don't know what version of the OS you have got? I wasn't aware of
>anything later than ARMX6_OS8.

On configure sound, there is a menu called: Controller, with on my ARMX6
2 choices, one is i.MX6 HDMI audio controller, the other one is
SGTL5000-compatible audio controller.

Sound works with the HDMU controller set.

--
Kev Wells
http://kevsoft.co.uk/
          Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <69c04ad455.D_Lane@D_Lane.PhoneCoop.coop>, David R Lane
> <D_Lane@PhoneCoop.coop> wrote:
>> In message <55d3fd0f84noise@audiomisc.co.uk> Jim Lesurf
>>           <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

>>> In article <a5e5bdd355.D_Lane@D_Lane.PhoneCoop.coop>, David R Lane
>>> <D_Lane@PhoneCoop.coop> wrote:
> [snip]
>>> So on my ARMX6/RO system HDMI works nicely, and carries audio.

>> My ARMX6 running ARMX6_OS8 (a version of RISC OS 5.23 supplied by
>> R-Comp) doesn't have sound through HDMI. I checked Configure and it was
>> set for sound, but testing the system beep gave nothing. So I don't
>> know what version of the OS you have got? I wasn't aware of anything
>> later than ARMX6_OS8.

> I'm running the *R-Comp* version RO5.23 (29 Jun 16). I think this is
> ARMX6_OS8. But I think the HDMI should either be now, or will be, added to
> the ROOL version of RO.

This is the version I am running.

> If it is available or used, !SoundCheck should tell you.

Included in the output from !SoundCheck are the following lines.

 * Probe HDMI Audio *
   ----------------

 No HDMI Speakers found!

 Note that the HDMIdevice may not support providing speaker details.
 Masks were => speaker arrangements = 0  validity = 0
 If both masks = 0 then no info obtained or no speakers.

 Now list any HDMI Audio modes that can be accepted:

 No HDMI Audio modes found!

> The current version of the ROSS Document from
> http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/temp/ROSSDocument.pdf
> explains how to use it, etc.

> [snip]

>> aplay -l  gives the following lines where I have abbreviated by X =
>> bcm2835 ALSA     and Y = ALSA . **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices
>> **** card 0: Y  [X],  device0: X [X] Subdevices: 8/8 Subdevice#0:
>> subdevice #0 Subdevice#1: subdevice #1 ...... ...... .... Subdevice#7:
>> subdevice #7

>> aplay -L   gives null Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero
>> samples (captive) default: CARD = Y X, X Default Audio Device
>> sysdefault: CARD = Y X, X Default Audio Device

> That looks like the system can't see any HDMI audio ports. So either the
> hardware connected at the time isn't detected as accepting audio via HDMI,
> or doesn't offer it, or the Linux install doesn't cover it. (Afraid I have
> no idea what sound modules, etc, the RPi distros may include.)

> Note that the HDMI physical connections may be used by a subset of
> protocols that omit audio. This has been the case for the ARMX6 until the
> recent addition of the HDMI audio. Again, I don't know what the RPi
> hardware may support or omit. So can't comment on this.

>> I got a picture on the analogue monitor (SVGA), but no sound. (The
>> previous test with Debian 6 was with the Panasonic plasma screen
>> instead of this Iiyama monitor)

>> I have just tried using the HDMI output on my wife's laptop running
>> Windows to the Iiyama monitor and got both picture and sound. This, at
>> least, proves that the convertor is working for sound as well as
>> picture.

> OK, with Debian on RPi it looks like I can't comment further as I don't
> know much about that combination.

> But your ARMX6 running RO should, I think, be able to deliver audio now
> over HDMI.

> Jim

I have just tried getting sound from the audio output of my ARMX6 with
speakers and got only a loud hum. :-(

Another Jim has told me that he hasn't got sound from the audio socket
of his ARMX6 either.

Dave Lane

--
Q: What do Microsoft and McDonald's have in common?
A: They both need a lot of bytes and so cause bloating.
Kevin Wells  wrote on 25 Oct:
> On configure sound, there is a menu called: Controller, with on my
> ARMX6 2 choices, one is i.MX6 HDMI audio controller, the other one is
> SGTL5000-compatible audio controller.

On my ArmX6 (5.23 with latest OS8 upgrade dated 16-june-29) that menu
has only the "SGTL500 analogue audio" option.  I get no sound.

What do I need to do to get the HDMI option?

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
>> "from" address is genuine but will change.  website has current one.
|| See you at the show?  www.wakefieldshow.org.uk  April 16
0
Jim
10/25/2016 11:41:49 PM
Jim Nagel  wrote on 26 Oct:

> Kevin Wells  wrote on 25 Oct:
>> On configure sound, there is a menu called: Controller, with on my
>> ARMX6 2 choices, one is i.MX6 HDMI audio controller, the other one is
>> SGTL5000-compatible audio controller.

> On my ArmX6 (5.23 with latest OS8 upgrade dated 16-june-29) that menu
> has only the "SGTL500 analogue audio" option.  I get no sound.

> What do I need to do to get the HDMI option?

Aha, answering my own Q.  Had a look at SP8, which I haven't yet
installed.  In the $.Sound directory is an obeyfile, HDMIaudio-on.
Doubleclicked it, and the HDMI option appears in Configure>Sound.
Yaaay!  The monitor speakers now beep and bong.

Remains now to be seen whether this survives a reboot, or whether I
will have to add the obeyfile to Predesk or somewhere.

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
>> "from" address is genuine but will change.  website has current one.
|| See you at the show?  www.wakefieldshow.org.uk  April 16
0
Jim
10/26/2016 12:10:38 AM
In message <94ebd4d455.jim@abbeypress.net>
          Jim Nagel <jimnewsm13c@abbeypress.co.uk> wrote:

>Jim Nagel  wrote on 26 Oct:
>
>> Kevin Wells  wrote on 25 Oct:
>>> On configure sound, there is a menu called: Controller, with on my
>>> ARMX6 2 choices, one is i.MX6 HDMI audio controller, the other one is
>>> SGTL5000-compatible audio controller.
>
>> On my ArmX6 (5.23 with latest OS8 upgrade dated 16-june-29) that menu
>> has only the "SGTL500 analogue audio" option.  I get no sound.
>
>> What do I need to do to get the HDMI option?
>
>Aha, answering my own Q.  Had a look at SP8, which I haven't yet
>installed.  In the $.Sound directory is an obeyfile, HDMIaudio-on.
>Doubleclicked it, and the HDMI option appears in Configure>Sound.
>Yaaay!  The monitor speakers now beep and bong.
>
>Remains now to be seen whether this survives a reboot, or whether I
>will have to add the obeyfile to Predesk or somewhere.

You can use the Run at start up option.

Configure Boot Run

--
Kev Wells
http://kevsoft.co.uk/
<D_Lane@PhoneCoop.coop> wrote:

> I have just tried getting sound from the audio output of my ARMX6 with
> speakers and got only a loud hum. :-(

Do you mean by 'speakers' units that have their own internal amplifiers?

The output from the rear socket on an ARMX6 will only drive an amp or pair
of headphones. That said, the sockets are a bit awkward, so you may have
trouble getting a plug to make connection properly.

Jim

Jim
10/26/2016 9:06:45 AM
In article <2148d2d455.jim@abbeypress.net>, Jim Nagel
<jimnewsm13c@abbeypress.co.uk> wrote:
> Kevin Wells  wrote on 25 Oct:
> > On configure sound, there is a menu called: Controller, with on my
> > ARMX6 2 choices, one is i.MX6 HDMI audio controller, the other one is
> > SGTL5000-compatible audio controller.

> On my ArmX6 (5.23 with latest OS8 upgrade dated 16-june-29) that menu
> has only the "SGTL500 analogue audio" option.  I get no sound.

> What do I need to do to get the HDMI option?

Here the OS shows as 29 June. Note the comment I've added to the new
thread on this. You may need to issue the relevant commands to activate
the change to HDMI. This may need to be run at each bootup. I've added
an Obey file to my startup. I've not tried altering the !Boot settings
via its GUI.

Jim

Jim
10/26/2016 9:09:18 AM
In article <94ebd4d455.jim@abbeypress.net>, Jim Nagel
<jimnewsm13c@abbeypress.co.uk> wrote:
> Jim Nagel  wrote on 26 Oct:

> > Kevin Wells  wrote on 25 Oct:
> >> On configure sound, there is a menu called: Controller, with on my
> >> ARMX6 2 choices, one is i.MX6 HDMI audio controller, the other one is
> >> SGTL5000-compatible audio controller.

> > On my ArmX6 (5.23 with latest OS8 upgrade dated 16-june-29) that menu
> > has only the "SGTL500 analogue audio" option.  I get no sound.

> > What do I need to do to get the HDMI option?

> Aha, answering my own Q.  Had a look at SP8, which I haven't yet
> installed.  In the $.Sound directory is an obeyfile, HDMIaudio-on.
> Doubleclicked it, and the HDMI option appears in Configure>Sound.
> Yaaay!  The monitor speakers now beep and bong.

People can find the details of the commands involved in the ROSS Document I
mentioned earlier.

> Remains now to be seen whether this survives a reboot, or whether I
> will have to add the obeyfile to Predesk or somewhere.

FWIW I put an Obey file containing

*ReadEDID
*HDMIOn
*Audio SoundDMA#HAL_0007_16000000

into the list of things to be run at startup.

Jim

Jim
10/26/2016 9:13:46 AM
In message <3062b2d455.Kevin@talktalk.net>
          Kevin Wells <kev@kevsoft.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <69c04ad455.D_Lane@D_Lane.PhoneCoop.coop>
>           David R Lane <D_Lane@PhoneCoop.coop> wrote:

>>My ARMX6 running ARMX6_OS8 (a version of RISC OS 5.23 supplied by
>>R-Comp) doesn't have sound through HDMI. I checked Configure and it
>>was set for sound, but testing the system beep gave nothing. So I
>>don't know what version of the OS you have got? I wasn't aware of
>>anything later than ARMX6_OS8.

> On configure sound, there is a menu called: Controller, with on my ARMX6
> 2 choices, one is i.MX6 HDMI audio controller, the other one is
> SGTL5000-compatible audio controller.

> Sound works with the HDMU controller set.

For my ARMX6 there is only one choice, i.e. no choice, for Controller:
SGTL5000 analogue audio. :-(

Following on from my report in a previous post about analogue audio, I
have tried different apeakers and got sound. I don't know why the
difference, but the only difference in the output from Jim Lesurf's
!SoundCheck are the following 3 lines:

J-S speakers through which there was no sound.

Number of VoiceGenerator channels =  4
Volume setting =  127
Nominal Volume gain scaling   x  1.000  [   0.00dB ]

Sound Force speakers through which there was sound.

Number of VoiceGenerator channels =  8
Volume setting =  104
Nominal Volume gain scaling   x  0.369  [  -8.65dB ]

May be Jim (Lesurf) can comment on this.

Dave Lane

--
RISC OS peace protesters say: ROMs not Bombs.
0
          Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <94ebd4d455.jim@abbeypress.net>, Jim Nagel
> <jimnewsm13c@abbeypress.co.uk> wrote:
>> Jim Nagel  wrote on 26 Oct:

[snip]

>> Aha, answering my own Q.  Had a look at SP8, which I haven't yet
>> installed.  In the $.Sound directory is an obeyfile, HDMIaudio-on.
>> Doubleclicked it, and the HDMI option appears in Configure>Sound.
>> Yaaay!  The monitor speakers now beep and bong.

> People can find the details of the commands involved in the ROSS Document I
> mentioned earlier.

>> Remains now to be seen whether this survives a reboot, or whether I
>> will have to add the obeyfile to Predesk or somewhere.

> FWIW I put an Obey file containing

> *ReadEDID
> *HDMIOn
> *Audio SoundDMA#HAL_0007_16000000

> into the list of things to be run at startup.
> Jim

Following the above, I also found it was necessary to run the above
commands at startup to ensure that the ARMX6 chose option HDMI audio
from the start. An easy way of doing this is to go to Configure, then
Boot, then Run (at startup) and include the Obey file HDMIaudOn in the
Sound directory. This runs exactly the same commands as Jim (Lesurf)
states above.

Thanks to the two Jims for help on this. For Druck it's a ducking. :-)

Next up is to go back to testing my digital to analogue convertor on
the ARMX6 with the Sound Force speakers and an analogue monitor.

Dave Lane

--
Existence = Resistance! Er...., resist Micro$oft ....... and come to
RISC OS London Show 2016 at St Giles Hotel, Feltham on 29th October.
<D_Lane@PhoneCoop.coop> wrote:

> For my ARMX6 there is only one choice, i.e. no choice, for Controller:
> SGTL5000 analogue audio. :-(

Put the following three lines into an 'Obey' type file

*ReadEDID
*HDMIOn
*Audio SoundDMA#HAL_0007_16000000

Then run that file. Does that make a difference? The purposes of these
commands is as follows:

ReadEDID = Get the monitor to report what video and audio modes it can
support.

HDMIOn = tell the OS to setup the hardware to enable the HDMI port to
accept audio.

*Audio <controller ID> = tells the OS what audio controller to use. (And
hence which hardware to connect the audio output to.)

> Following on from my report in a previous post about analogue audio, I
> have tried different apeakers and got sound. I don't know why the
> difference, but the only difference in the output from Jim Lesurf's
> !SoundCheck are the following 3 lines:

> J-S speakers through which there was no sound.

> Number of VoiceGenerator channels =  4 Volume setting =  127 Nominal
> Volume gain scaling   x  1.000  [   0.00dB ]

> Sound Force speakers through which there was sound.

> Number of VoiceGenerator channels =  8 Volume setting =  104 Nominal
> Volume gain scaling   x  0.369  [  -8.65dB ]

> May be Jim (Lesurf) can comment on this.

I can only say that:

1) You changed the number of voicegen channels from 4 to 8 for some reason.
However that only relates to 8-bit voice modules and has nothing to do with
playing 16bit audio files.

2) When playing the audio one of your programs altered the system's gain
(volume) setting.

Neither relates directly to the HDMI audio issue.

Note that the rear socket on the ARMX6 has a tendency to be difficult to
connect to. You can easily get no sound, or mono, or only one channel. You
may have to try different plugs and wiggle/adjust them to make contact.
Unfortunate choice of socket maker I think.

Jim

Jim
10/27/2016 8:39:45 AM
In article <6b4712d555.D_Lane@D_Lane.PhoneCoop.coop>, David R Lane
<D_Lane@PhoneCoop.coop> wrote:

> Next up is to go back to testing my digital to analogue convertor on
> the ARMX6 with the Sound Force speakers and an analogue monitor.

FWIW I'm currently using a 'Monoprice' HDX-401TA HDMI 'switch' between my
ARMX6 (and Linux box) and my monitor. This provides an spdif audio
'breakout' I then feed to a DAC.

This works OK, right up to 192k sample rate stereo audio*. But a snag is
that it is a USA device I'm using with a mains adaptor. I'd like to find UK
models that work as well or better. But I don't know of anyone who has
tested any. If anyone has, please say.

Jim

The *monitor* only accepts up to 48k. But the box tells the computer it can
accept higher rates so they can be extracted, even though the monitor can't
actually play them. In fact, the switch is said to also accept and extract
surround sound over HDMI, but I have no kit to test or verify this.

Jim
10/27/2016 8:46:50 AM
In message <55d58803e1noise@audiomisc.co.uk>
          Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <6b4712d555.D_Lane@D_Lane.PhoneCoop.coop>, David R Lane
> <D_Lane@PhoneCoop.coop> wrote:

>> Next up is to go back to testing my digital to analogue convertor on
>> the ARMX6 with the Sound Force speakers and an analogue monitor.

This works now that I have enabled sound over HDMI.

> FWIW I'm currently using a 'Monoprice' HDX-401TA HDMI 'switch' between my
> ARMX6 (and Linux box) and my monitor. This provides an spdif audio
> 'breakout' I then feed to a DAC.

> This works OK, right up to 192k sample rate stereo audio*. But a snag is
> that it is a USA device I'm using with a mains adaptor. I'd like to find UK
> models that work as well or better. But I don't know of anyone who has
> tested any. If anyone has, please say.

> Jim

> The *monitor* only accepts up to 48k. But the box tells the computer it can
> accept higher rates so they can be extracted, even though the monitor can't
> actually play them. In fact, the switch is said to also accept and extract
> surround sound over HDMI, but I have no kit to test or verify this.

Dave Lane

--
A true sign ..... of a recycled signature!
0