More hard disc woes

After all the difficulties I recently had -- but never solved -- getting a
120 GB disc recognised on a RISC OS 4 RiscPC, I've now tried another
brand-new disc.  This one is 80 GB (a size that is known to be usable on
RO 4), and I haven't run HForm or similar tools on it as it came "ready to
use" and I don't want to risk rendering it completely unusable.

Once again it is not recognised, suggesting that there is something
fundamentally wrong here.  The 40 GB it replaced worked fine as slave to
the 16 GB, the 40 GB is now the master and the 80 is jumpered as slave, so
it's really rather puzzling!  When I had the same problem with the 120 GB
I also tried having it as the master with no slave and that made no
difference, so I haven't tried that this time (I really don't fancy
stripping down to the motherboard level again!) and strongly feel that it
would change nothing.

I ran DiscKnight to get some basic info, and the results (below) are
intriguing, though I am no expert and do not know why it turns up this
result.  The number 219 keeps popping up, but I don't know what that
signifies if anything.

I am hoping that at least one of the experts here will read the report and
immediately recignise something very silly that can easily be corrected.
If not, I now have *two* spare hard discs(!)

DiscKnight 1.40 (28-Dec-2002) [32bit] Serial no. 21300084

Arguments: -v -t -s ADFS 5

Boot block - Boot Record
  Number of Tracks         : 0
  Number of Heads          : 0
  Sectors per track        : 219
  Sector size              : 1
  Density                  : 219?
  ID Length                : 0
  Bytes per map bit (LFAU) : 0
  Minimum object size      : 0
  Sector skew              : 1
  Boot Option (*Opt 4,n)   : 219
  Lowest sector id         : 0
  Disc sides               : interleaved
  Disc is 40 track         : No
  Number of map zones      : 219
  Spare bits in zones      : 56064
  SIN of root directory    : &DB00DB00
  Disc size                : &DB00DB00DB00DB00 (13.7E)
  Disc cycle id            : &DB00
  Sharing granularity      : 1 sectors
  Big Flag (>512M)         : &DB
  FileCore version         : -620700928
  File type of disc        : &DB00DB00
* Sector size invalid (0)
* Number of Heads invalid (0)
* Density invalid (219)
* Spare bits in zones invalid (56064)
* Bytes per map bit (LFAU) invalid (219)
* Disc size invalid (&13.7E)
* Big Flag (>512M) may be invalid (&DB)
* Big Flag (>512M) should be set
* FileCore version invalid (-620700928)
* ID Length invalid (0)
* SIN of root directory invalid (&DB00DB00)
* Unable to determine a valid disc shape, run again with the drive
parameters (-p)
Boot Block - Defect List
* End1 &DB00DB00 CRC is Bad (should be &20000000)
* End2 &DB00DB00 CRC is Bad (should be &40000000)
* Boot Block CRC is Bad, (is &DB, should be &6D)

    Disc is bad, 14 faults found
    Run a repair (-f and -u flags) to fix

John M Ward
* * RISC OS computing since 1987, A310 to Iyonix * *

In message <8JPoc.7172$h87.94@front-1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>
          "John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]

> Once again it is not recognised, suggesting that there is something
> fundamentally wrong here.  The 40 GB it replaced worked fine as slave to
> the 16 GB, the 40 GB is now the master and the 80 is jumpered as slave, so
> it's really rather puzzling!  When I had the same problem with the 120 GB
> I also tried having it as the master with no slave and that made no
> difference, so I haven't tried that this time (I really don't fancy
> stripping down to the motherboard level again!) and strongly feel that it
> would change nothing.

One small point. Master and single drive are not the same, and some
drives have different jumper settings for them. (Most likely not the
problem in this case, but probably worth checking none the less)

--
Jess   msn: phantasm_39@hotmail.com  icq: 91353267
mailto:nospam@itworkshop.uklinux.net Hotmail is spamtrap, don't email it
"Jess" <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In message <8JPoc.7172$h87.94@front-1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>
>           "John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Once again it is not recognised, suggesting that there is something
> > fundamentally wrong here...
>
> One small point. Master and single drive are not the same, and some
> drives have different jumper settings for them. (Most likely not the
> problem in this case, but probably worth checking none the less)

Thanks for the thought.  I hoped I had eliminated such variables with all
the trials I performed with the other disc, but perhaps not.  I had also
hoped that the DiscKnight report might have shed some light on the root
cause -- it clearly didn't find any heads or tracks info, but it did seem
to find the thing itself (if I read it right).  I am no expert on these
things, especially nowadays, so correct me if I am wrong on this.

Meanwhile, it looks like further surgery sessions on the long-suffering
two-slicer...

--

"John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> > [snip]
>
> I had also hoped that the DiscKnight report might have shed
> some light on the root cause -- it clearly didn't find any heads
> or tracks info, but it did seem to find the thing itself (if I read
> it right).

I didn't, did I?  That's the trouble with my eyesight problems -- I tend
to skip things inadvertently.

Okay: surgery it is -- probably tomorrow.  I'll get to the bottom of
this...well, to the bottom of the RiscPC case. at least!

--

> "John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > > [snip]
> >
> > I had also hoped that the DiscKnight report might have shed
> > some light on the root cause -- it clearly didn't find any heads
> > or tracks info, but it did seem to find the thing itself (if I read
> > it right).
>
> I didn't, did I?  That's the trouble with my eyesight problems -- I
> tend to skip things inadvertently.
>
> Okay: surgery it is...

....and I didn't wait until tomorrow, after all.

But nope: even with the disc in the bottom of the case, jumpered as
supplied, it is not recognised either without or without the other disc
(now configured as slave) plugged in -- which is recognised when it is in.
I even tried a Delete-power-on this time, and all the podules have been
removed.

Turning out to be something of a saga, this  :-|

--

In message <2R9pc.1719$YS4.558@doctor.cableinet.net>
          "John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]

> But nope: even with the disc in the bottom of the case, jumpered as
> supplied, it is not recognised either without or without the other disc
> (now configured as slave) plugged in -- which is recognised when it is in.
> I even tried a Delete-power-on this time, and all the podules have been
> removed.

Just as long as "as supplied" isn't cable select mode

> Turning out to be something of a saga, this  :-|

--
Jess   msn: phantasm_39@hotmail.com  icq: 91353267
mailto:nospam@itworkshop.uklinux.net Hotmail is spamtrap, don't email it
RISC OS 4.37 kinetic 64+128+2M Castle Storm DMA + 17GB  586-133 I-3 ADSL
   http://www.itworkshop-online.co.uk     http://www.b1-11.net
0
phantasm_39 (2515)
5/14/2004 11:14:02 PM
In message <2R9pc.1719$YS4.558@doctor.cableinet.net>
          "John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> ...and I didn't wait until tomorrow, after all.
>
> But nope: even with the disc in the bottom of the case, jumpered as
> supplied, it is not recognised either without or without the other disc
> (now configured as slave) plugged in -- which is recognised when it is in.
> I even tried a Delete-power-on this time, and all the podules have been
> removed.
OK, a few questions:
  1) Is the drive making any unusual mechanical noises on powerup (e.g.
     scraping noises, excessive clicking, etc)
  2) What interface is the drive plugged into?
  3) What version of RISC OS are you using?
  4) Have you tried a different IDE cable?
  5) What brand was the drive sold as, e.g. IBM, Maxtor...

If the functionality of the drive is in question, it might be worth removing
it, plugging it into a PC, then running the manufacturer's diagnostic tool
over the drive. Maxtor's PowerMax diag tool offers something called a
"Re-Certify" test, which does a destructive (i.e. nukes all data on the disc)
test to near-factory standards. The idea is, if the drive passes a
re-certify, it's probably in pretty good electrical and mechanical condition
(one of my Maxtors got severely "thrashed" by the PowerMax tests) and is
certainly usable.
I'm not sure what Seagate call their diag test, but the IBM one is called
"DFT" - Drive Fitness Test.

Later.
--
Phil.                                | Acorn RiscPC600 Mk3, SA202, 64MB, 6GB,
philpem@despammed.com (valid address)| ViewFinder, 10BaseT Ethernet, 2-slice,
> In message <2R9pc.1719$YS4.558@doctor.cableinet.net>
>           "John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > But nope: even with the disc in the bottom of the case,
> > jumpered as supplied, it is not recognised either without
> > or without the other disc (now configured as slave) plugged
> > in -- which is recognised when it is in. I even tried a Delete-
> > power-on this time, and all the podules have been removed.
>
> Just as long as "as supplied" isn't cable select mode

No.  I am very careful about jumper settings, and generally double- and
triple-check them at different times before installing them.  I am trying
extremely hard to eliminate as many variables and uncertainties as
possible.

--

"Philip Pemberton" <philpem@despammed.com> wrote in message
> In message <2R9pc.1719$YS4.558@doctor.cableinet.net>
>           "John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > ...even with the disc in the bottom of the case, jumpered as
> > supplied, it is not recognised either without or without the
> > other disc (now configured as slave) plugged in -- which is
> > recognised when it is in.
> > I even tried a Delete-power-on this time, and all the podules
> > have been removed.
>
> OK, a few questions:
>   1) Is the drive making any unusual mechanical noises on powerup
>      (e.g.scraping noises, excessive clicking, etc)

No.

>   2) What interface is the drive plugged into?

The built-in (i.e. standard) interface.

>   3) What version of RISC OS are you using?

4.02

>   4) Have you tried a different IDE cable?

Only the other end of the same cable, both ends of which work fine with
the 40 GB drive, just as they did with the 16 GB unit before.

>   5) What brand was the drive sold as, e.g. IBM, Maxtor...

The first disc (120 GB) is a Hitachi, the 80 GB is by ExcelStor.

> If the functionality of the drive is in question...

Probably not.  The 120 GB was able to work in an Iyonix, but then again
failed to be recognised when transferred to the RiscPC.  I feel sure the
same would apply to the 9- GB drive.

As I think you can see, I have eliminated all the variables/unknowns I
could find by substituting just about everything and by resetting the
machine back to its factory default state.  I have even tried
shift-booting just in case there was an oddity somewhere inside !Boot.

This really is a mystery!

--
John M Ward
* * RISC OS computing since 1987, A310 to Iyonix * *

[Posted and mailed]

In message <4PEpc.35159$1j5.21273@pathologist.blueyonder.net>
          "John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> >   5) What brand was the drive sold as, e.g. IBM, Maxtor...
>
> The first disc (120 GB) is a Hitachi, the 80 GB is by ExcelStor.

I think the ExelStor drive may be the cause of the problem. I had a 40Gb
ExelStor drive and !HForm couldn't seem to interogate it, in order to format
it correctly. I swapped this for a 40Gb Seagate which worked perfectly. I
recall that someone else also had the same problem trying to format an
ExelStor drive.

Part of the problem is that !HForm is long overdue for a serious rewrite.

--
Michael Lowe
Loughton
"Michael Lowe" <michael.lowe@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> [Posted and mailed]
>
> In message <4PEpc.35159$1j5.21273@pathologist.blueyonder.net>
>           "John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > >   5) What brand was the drive sold as, e.g. IBM, Maxtor...
> >
> > The first disc (120 GB) is a Hitachi, the 80 GB is by ExcelStor.
>
> I think the ExelStor drive may be the cause of the problem. I
> had a 40Gb ExelStor drive and !HForm couldn't seem to
> interogate it, in order to format it correctly. I swapped this for
> a 40Gb Seagate which worked perfectly. I recall that someone
> else also had the same problem trying to format an ExelStor drive.

Thanks for the thought (and the email).  Because of this I have tried the
Hitachi disc once again, carefully entering values in accordance with its
technical specs (logical drive layout characteristics), but the latest
version of HForm that I have (2.54) still refused to format beyond 254
cylinders, resulting in a still-unreadable disc.

> Part of the problem is that !HForm is long overdue for a serious
> rewrite.

Very true; and even !DiscInit in both its original and hacked forms is
based on it, which could be why even that didn't solve my problem.

I hope that posting my experiences here does at least caution others that
they too /might/ have real difficulties with today's high-capacity drives
in RiscPCs, no matter what the stated limits indicate for their particular
version of RISC OS.  Perhaps the safest bet is not to attempt to install
such a drive in RiscPCs until a suitable new tool has been produced.

--

In message <P20qc.36354$A55.17730@pathologist.blueyonder.net>
          "John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> "Michael Lowe" <michael.lowe@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > [Posted and mailed]

> > > The first disc (120 GB) is a Hitachi, the 80 GB is by ExcelStor.
> >
> > I think the ExelStor drive may be the cause of the problem. I
> > had a 40Gb ExelStor drive and !HForm couldn't seem to
> > interogate it, in order to format it correctly. I swapped this for
> > a 40Gb Seagate which worked perfectly. I recall that someone
> > else also had the same problem trying to format an ExelStor drive.
>
> Thanks for the thought (and the email).  Because of this I have tried the
> Hitachi disc once again, carefully entering values in accordance with its
> technical specs (logical drive layout characteristics), but the latest
> version of HForm that I have (2.54) still refused to format beyond 254
> cylinders, resulting in a still-unreadable disc.

You do realise that there is a link here. ExelStor is a Chinese company who
manufacture Deskstar drives under an agreement signed with IBM before they
sold their storage division to Hitachi. Indeed there is some evidence that
the same drives have been sold under both the ExelStor and Hitachi labels. I
think you are getting the same problem with both drives.

--
> In message <P20qc.36354$A55.17730@pathologist.blueyonder.net>
>           "John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > "Michael Lowe" <michael.lowe@dsl.pipex.com> wrote...
> > > [Posted and mailed]

> > > I think the ExelStor drive may be the cause of the problem. I
> > > had a 40Gb ExelStor drive and !HForm couldn't seem to
> > > interogate it, in order to format it correctly. I swapped this for
> > > a 40Gb Seagate which worked perfectly. I recall that someone
> > > else also had the same problem trying to format an ExelStor
> > > drive.
> >
> > Thanks for the thought (and the email).  Because of this I have
> > tried the Hitachi disc once again...resulting in a still-unreadable
> > disc.
>
> You do realise that there is a link here. ExelStor is a Chinese
> company who manufacture Deskstar drives under an agreement
> signed with IBM before they sold their storage division to
> Hitachi. Indeed there is some evidence that the same drives have
> been sold under both the ExelStor and Hitachi labels. I think
> you are getting the same problem with both drives.

I think you've got it.  By George, you've got it!

Well, okay, not the solution, but it does explain why the substitution did
not improve the situation.  Where that leaves me now is still uncertain,
but perhaps our dealers (from one of whom I bought these two units) need
to be alert to this danger with these products.  I wonder whether the same
drives appear under any other names as well, because it looks like our
good folks out there will need to know which to avoid buying for our
market.

--
John M Ward
* * RISC OS computing since 1987, A310 to Iyonix * *

In article <P20qc.36354$A55.17730@pathologist.blueyonder.net>, John Ward
<URL:mailto:john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

snip

> Thanks for the thought (and the email).  Because of this I have tried the
> Hitachi disc once again, carefully entering values in accordance with its
> technical specs (logical drive layout characteristics), but the latest
> version of HForm that I have (2.54) still refused to format beyond 254
> cylinders, resulting in a still-unreadable disc.

This probably won't solve your problem, but I think it's
worth trying.  Hform 2.56 can be found at
http://support.riscos.com/Support/Updates/HForm256.zip

HTH
Dave
--
A sig will appear here when normal service is resumed :)

0
notspam1153 (133)
5/18/2004 10:28:09 PM
"Dave Lawton" <notspam@lawetc.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

<snip>

> This probably won't solve your problem, but I think it's
> worth trying.  Hform 2.56 can be found at
> http://support.riscos.com/Support/Updates/HForm256.zip

Thanks for the link.  I also do not think it would make a difference; but
meanwhile I have had an offer from the dealer concerned to replace the
drives anyway (by Maxtors, which I've had working OK in this particular
RiscPC before).  I've also come up with another way out of the problem,
based on info provided by the dealer.

I think the caution still stands, though I am led to understand that there
are a number of RISC OS machines with these troublesome (to me!) makes of
drives working properly.  Just be prepared for the /possibility/ of
problems with them, I'd caution.

--

In article <N1Hqc.38881$yj2.34130@pathologist.blueyonder.net>,
   John Ward <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> "Dave Lawton" <notspam@lawetc.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> <snip>

> > This probably won't solve your problem, but I think it's
> > worth trying.  Hform 2.56 can be found at
> > http://support.riscos.com/Support/Updates/HForm256.zip

> Thanks for the link.  I also do not think it would make a difference; but
> meanwhile I have had an offer from the dealer concerned to replace the
> drives anyway (by Maxtors, which I've had working OK in this particular
> RiscPC before).  I've also come up with another way out of the problem,
> based on info provided by the dealer.

> I think the caution still stands, though I am led to understand that
> there are a number of RISC OS machines with these troublesome (to me!)
> makes of drives working properly.  Just be prepared for the
> /possibility/ of problems with them, I'd caution.

The best place for this information is in the Acorn FAQ maintained by Paul
Vigay. I would suggest you email him with the details (csafaq@vigay.com)
so he can add it to the next edition of Comp.Sys.Acorn.FAQ that gets
posted to the c.s.a.misc newsgroup at the beginning of each month.

Alan

--
 --. --. --. --. : : --- --- ----------------------------
 |_| |_| | _ | | | | |_   |    alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk
 | | | \ |_| |_| | | |__  |     Using an Acorn RiscPC

0
alan.dawes (433)
5/19/2004 12:41:02 PM
On 13 May 2004 "John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> After all the difficulties I recently had -- but never solved -- getting a
> 120 GB disc recognised on a RISC OS 4 RiscPC, I've now tried another
> brand-new disc.  This one is 80 GB (a size that is known to be usable on
> RO 4), and I haven't run HForm or similar tools on it as it came "ready to
> use" and I don't want to risk rendering it completely unusable.

[snip]

> I ran DiscKnight to get some basic info, and the results (below) are
> intriguing, though I am no expert and do not know why it turns up this
> result.  The number 219 keeps popping up, but I don't know what that
> signifies if anything.

[Snip DiscKnight info]

If you look carefully you'll see all that is being read from the disc is
alternate &00 &DB indicating IDE bus problems. As other posters have
mentioned you need to check master/slave settings and try swapping over which
is master and slave, and try each drive on it own incase there is a
compatibility problem between them.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
5/26/2004 11:55:28 PM
"druck" <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote in message
> On 13 May 2004 "John Ward" <john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > After all the difficulties I recently had -- but never solved --
getting a
> > 120 GB disc recognised on a RISC OS 4 RiscPC, I've now tried another
> > brand-new disc.  This one is 80 GB (a size that is known to be usable
on
> > RO 4), and I haven't run HForm or similar tools on it as it came
"ready to
> > use" and I don't want to risk rendering it completely unusable.
>
> [snip]
>
> > I ran DiscKnight to get some basic info, and the results (below) are
> > intriguing, though I am no expert and do not know why it turns up this
> > result.  The number 219 keeps popping up, but I don't know what that
> > signifies if anything.
>
> [Snip DiscKnight info]
>
> If you look carefully you'll see all that is being read from the disc is
> alternate &00 &DB indicating IDE bus problems.

Ah, so that's what that means.

> As other posters have mentioned you need to check master/slave
> settings and try swapping over which is master and slave, and try each
> drive on it own incase there is a compatibility problem between them.

Yes, I did all of that (several times!) while you were elsewhere, so you
wouldn't have been aware of that, I realise.  The dealer has agreed to
exchange them for Maxtors, and I should be doing that shortly.

It certainly is odd, and if it hadn't been for the fact that the dealer
has supplied a number of these drives to our market without problem, I'd
have offered a caution to go into the FAQ.  However I am still unsure
whether that would be the right thing to do as apparently no-one can point
to the underlying cause.

--
John M Ward
* * RISC OS computing since 1987, A310 to Iyonix * *

On Fri, 28 May 2004 09:59:13 +0100, John Ward
<john-m-ward@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes, I did all of that (several times!) while you were elsewhere, so you
> wouldn't have been aware of that, I realise.  The dealer has agreed to
> exchange them for Maxtors, and I should be doing that shortly.
>
> It certainly is odd, and if it hadn't been for the fact that the dealer
> has supplied a number of these drives to our market without problem, I'd
> have offered a caution to go into the FAQ.  However I am still unsure
> whether that would be the right thing to do as apparently no-one can
> point
> to the underlying cause.

I've tested a pair of new Hitachi Deskstars on an Adjust Kinetic RPC. Both
worked fine, not only on the internal IDE bus, but also on the Blitz and
on the Unipod. The main one, which is still in use in my main drive is
60Gb.

I'd caution you over anything greater than 128Gb on ANY RISC OS machine as
I suspect they won't work.

Best wishes,

Drew

drew.hill (20)

Freebie: Original Acorn 210Mb Hard Disc
In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no defects. Does anyone want this drive for the cost of postage? Email me at the address below. Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ On 12 Sep 2007 Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of > old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard > discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ > (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 > installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which > would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; > it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no > defects. These drives are so far past their expected lifetime, don't rely on them continuing to function. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page ...

FS: Misc Acorn (and non-Acorn) hardware
Like Peter Naulls yesterday, I'm trying to get rid of my remaining Risc PC and the related hardware. I've put them on eBay. The Acorn-specific items are: Acorn Risc PC StrongARM 233 MHz + Power-tec SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202188067 i-cubed EtherLan600 for Acorn Risc PC/A7000 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202186713 Acorn Risc PC power supply, backplane and screws http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202185817 RISC OS Select http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202184767 STD PS2Mouse for Acorn Risc PC http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202183392 Acorn MEU + Plextor PlexWriter RW 4220 internal SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202182624 Graphic tablet PaintPal Deluxe http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202181086 The rest is not Acorn-specific but was connected to either a Risc PC or a Iyonix and therefore may be of interest here as well: Mitsumi FA402M 3.5" Floppy and 7in1 Media Drive http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202179719 Sony 3.5" Floppy MPF 920 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202177159 ELSA MicroLink ISDN 4U Router/Hub http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5777800061 Iomega ZIP 100 Drive external SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202173954 HP ScanJet 3c SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...

Hard Discs
I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second (slave) drive. It boots from :4. I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't find a drive. I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK. I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine it only has one drive now. Although I could leave the drive in situ till my new one arrives I really want it out so it can replace an ailing drive in my partners PC. My question is twofold - firstly where do you configure the number of hard drives, configure discs only allows you to change floppy, CD and SCSI drives and mine are both IDE; and secondly will the same problem arise when I eventually take it out and replace it with a new drive as that won't yet be formatted. JayCee In message <395577804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second > (slave) drive. It boots from :4. > > I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from > the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't > find a drive. > > I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK. > > I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine > it only has one drive now. > > Although I co...

Some Acorn user discs
Hello, I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth anything to anyone out there? I haven't decided what to do with them yet, but if no one in my immediate circle can find a use for them, perhaps someone else might offer something for them. W.Simpson In article <JMjXc.415$Ch2.349@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, W.Simpson <simpsons.dot.box@ntlworld.dot.com> wrote: > Hello, > I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which > need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth an...

Failed hard disc
The main hard disc in my RiscPC seems to have given up. It threw up a disc error (which may have been 5, sadly I didn't write it down) and now all I'm getting is "Disc not found...". Attempts to access it just result in the machine freezing for long periods of time and it makes the occasional unhappy crunching noise when powered up. I'm assuming it's dead, though if anyone has any suggestions as to troubleshooting methods I'd be interested... The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a bit out of date in this respect. -- Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/ In message <2ac633d44c.steve@helvellyn.stevefryatt.org.uk> Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote: [snip] > The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are > there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a > replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem > isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a > bit out of date in this respect. I am running a Maxtor Diamond +9 (Calypso) for over 15 month now without any trouble. It is connected to the inter...

Hard disc sick?
Hello, Don't know if this is a hardware issue or if it's just s/ware causing unnescessary concern. My HD verifys 100% perfect but I have recently strarted getting disc error messages when I load MPro. Nothing seems to get corrupted and everything works fine once I've clicked OK on all the errors but obviously I don't want to miss a warning sign that my HD's about to expire. I'm thinking it could well be hardware as also it keeps on re-initialising during use, certainly never used to park the heads after periods of inactivity which is what it appears to be doing now. Any one any thoughts? Pity there isn't a SATA podule available, I've got an 80GB SATA drive with about 3 hrs. use on it just sitting in a box. Also when I've got some money I'll be looking out for a new IDE podule as that Simtec one just isn't doing the job, am only getting onboard IDE performance levels out of it - think it's simply not working with DMA. If any one has a decent IDE card for sale I'd be interested to hear from them. Cheers, Mike.... -- Michael Hambley - mike@armpowered.co.uk http://www.armpowered.co.uk - My little corner of the web. http://www.dispose-it.co.uk - IT disposal/recycling & data destruction. http://www.ecoputers.co.uk - New and refurbished computers, peripherals etc. In message <7d2abf644d.Michael@armpowered.co.uk> Michael Hambley <mike@armpowered.co.uk> wrote: > expire. I'm thinking it c...

My hard disc locked
I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the data.( both of them are in NTFS format) few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not competitible w/ NTFS) So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my drive D's format. There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. Plz help me! On 19 Feb 2004 02:18:34 -0800, antony617hk@yahoo.com.hk (antony617) wrote: >I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the >data.( both of them are in NTFS format) >few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and >install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) >Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not >competitible w/ NTFS) >So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW >format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't >format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my >drive D's format. >There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. >Plz help me! I found this in a different group: ---------------------------------------------- >Bednarek <mb a...

Hardware hard in Linux?
OK, here's the scenario. Dual boot box consisting of a P4P-800-E DLX, Nvidia video card, printer, scanner, bells, whistles, and it's something I'm proud of. The Linux side is running Slack 10.2 with a custom 2.6.16 kernel and gware Gnome for the desktop. Mrs. Phist decided to buy me a wireless keyboard and mouse since my old ones are almost five years old and I've beaten them all to hell. She's not the most tech savvy person in the world and just went to Best Buy and got a Microsoft keyboard/mouse combo for about $40 CAN. Not a bad deal, but I'm going from PS2 wired k...

Hard Disc format
I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults that HForm gave me. JayCee JayCee wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. ADFS (and HForm) carry a physical limitation of 128Gb. Drives >128Gb use feature sets not used on smaller drives, so the ADFS module needs to support that. Whilst the API for Filecore on RISC OS 5 has been designed to support 256Gb, I'm not aware of that restriction being lifted from ADFS. Select also currently formats and uses drives up to 128Gb on ADFS. Best wishes, Drew On 2 Jul 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. Use DiscKnight's verbose display to see what size you've actually formatted it to. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ In message <284027844d.druck@druck.freeuk.net> dr...

Hard disc dying?
Today the hard disc on the A5000 at the Wandle Industrial Museum (which is, not, I may add, an exhibit!) displayed worrying behaviour, spontaneously spinning down in the middle of print spooling and then failing to spin up at all when the computer was re-started, causing it to hang for a long time mid-boot and when the hard disc icon was clicked upon. I took the top off the machine and tried unplugging and reseating the power supply lead to the hard disc, which was all I could think of, and the machine did then start up properly the next time I tried it, but I don't know if this was a coincidence or not. The computer is due to be 'upgraded' to a Windows machine in the next few months and I was relying on being able to process the data into a lowest-common-denominator form for transfer, e.g. CSV, HTML, plain text etc. I have a spare hard disc of suitable size (albeit of similar age to the original). Is the defect likely to be in the power supply from the motherboard or in the disc mechanism? i.e. will replacing the hard disc improve reliability or not? There is only 58Mb used space on the disc at present, some of which is unnecessary software -- for example, DigitalCD on a machine where the sound doesn't work -- and I am hoping that I can probably keep the old hard disc running for long enough to copy the data across if required. -- Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie == We prefer to speak evil of ourselves than not speak of oursel...

Hard disc recovery
I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the files on it ? Thanks On 3 Apr, 22:45, "freddy" <dsd....@hehg.com> wrote: > I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone > recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the > files on it ? > > Thanks Hi freddy, Ouch! Bad luck. Thoughts that spring to mind are: -Dump an image of the drive 'as is' before you do anything else... ....mind you 120gb is going to need some room. Do you have a (um) PC/ Mac with scsi you could use to make the dump if space is tight on your Acorn..? -Something like DiscKnight may help - really an IDE recovery tool but you never know... -Having backed-up the drive first, repartitioning with the original map *may* get you a fair bit of your data back. -Thanks for the contributions :-)- Regards, Charles. Charlie wrote: > On 3 Apr, 22:45, "freddy" <dsd....@hehg.com> wrote: >> I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone >> recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the >> files on it ? > -Something like DiscKnight may help - really an IDE recovery tool but > you never know... As long as the disc hasn't been repartitioned and reinitialised with the same sizes as originally (which will overwrite the disc ma...

Hard Disc on Iyonix
The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that I should purchase please? DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). On 14 May 2012, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: [snip] > DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the > existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). Disknight checks the directory structure. To find disc errors you need to *verify Tony In article <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: > The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 > at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same > or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same > time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that > I should purchase please? This type of error may also be due to the power supply going off. -- Chris Johnson Chris Johnson <chrisjohnson+news@spamcop.net> wrote: > In article > <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, > svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote...

Hard disc scratch
My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause the system to hang. I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that Scandisk can't overcome this. Anyone know of any utility that can perhaps put the bad sectors into an "envelope" so that they are simply ignored by the system ? Salvador Freemanson wrote: > My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system > (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. > > Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. > Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and > then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. > > We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. > But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause > the system to hang. > > I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc > when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that > Scandisk can't overcome this. ...

Hard disc recovery
I had a somewhat strange experience today with a hard drive. Some months ago I decided to upgrade the hard drive on my PC from 100GB to 160GB. The drives were formatted to NTFS. I used the now spare 100GB drive in my Risc PC, initialising it with my Unipod, where it has been used since February this year. As the 100GB was a bit over the top and the PC again needed more space, I reverted the Risc PC to its original 10GB drive and put the 100GB drive - still with all the Risc PC stuff on it - back into the PC, as a slave to the other drive. When I turned the PC on, it went into a half hour ...

SCSI Hard Disc
My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their anything I can try? Luckily I only use it for temporary audio files so nothing important on it. I ran a test on it just the other day and it reported ok. Perhaps coincidence? -- *There's no place like www.home.com * Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article <4d1b9717e5dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > anything I can try? ... Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ In article <4d1c16edfcbric-nospam@argonet.co.uk>, Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > > anything I can try? ... > Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? No. -- *I yell because I care Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article &...

Hard Disc linking
Hi, I have just installed a second hard disc (with no links, = slave) and all works perfectly. I had to work out whether the boot disc was configured as a Master or as Drive select so I checked the documentation that came with the disc many years ago. I was surprised as to how the boot disc is configured. All works well was I didn't alter anything but I am left curious. The boot disc is a Maxtor 5T030H3 and is linked as follows; Link between Pins 1 and 6 Link between Pins 2 and 3 X = Pin O = No Pin 1 2 3 4 5 X X X O X X X X X X 6 7 ...

A3010 Hard disc
Hi. Know this is a tall order but does anyone have an IDE interface for the A3010 which I could use to connect a hard disc to the machine? Also, I need a user port on the expansion card. I dont need a hard disc, I have two in an A7000 and I could take one for this. Know it wont fit, but neatness doesnt really matter. I just need the inteface. Alternatively does anyone have an expansion card of any sort whatsoever for an A7000 with a user port on it? I really dont care what it is so long as theres a user port (for an external control box I want to get working for a model railway). If anyone has one they dont want could they email me? Dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk Would prefer an email as I wont have a chance to check the group for a while. A freebie would be great (I would pay postage etc) but otherwise email me with a price and I'll consider it. Cant pay too much tho Im a poor skivvy student!! :-) Many thanks in advance Jon Dallimore On 22-Jun-2005, "Jon Dallimore" <dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk> wrote: > Know this is a tall order but does anyone have an IDE interface for > the A3010 which I could use to connect a hard disc to the machine? > Also, I need a user port on the expansion card. I dont need a hard > disc, I have two in an A7000 and I could take one for this. Know it > wont fit, but neatness doesnt really matter. I just need the > inteface. > > Alternatively does anyone have an expansion card of any sort > whatsoever for an...

Replacement Hard Disc
I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the maximum hard disc size that I can fit is - I've been unable to run HForm (I've tried several versions) with a 40Gb HD. So, some questions: What is the maximum size HD that I can add with the current OS and what version of HForm would I use? Can I just add some spare 3.7 ROMs I have and would it make any difference? Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)? What upgrades would make sense in this situation? Thanking you in advance. John Haines In article <4cc4b35ec8jhaines@argonet.co.uk>, John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than > about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)? > What upgrades would make sense in this situation? One answer might be an IDE card. Those can allow you to partition a larger disc so you have several all within the 3.6 maximum. IIRC. -- *I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable. Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. On 25 Jun 2004 John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to > have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the &...

FS: Hard discs
If anyone is interested, I've got hold of a bunch of hard discs. They're Fujitsu units, MPD3043AT, 4.3GB capacity. Ideal to give yourself a bit more space. Offers to the return address on here. Note that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I've got pukka boxes too, so mailing is no problem. Cheers Mike -- Michael Gilbert: in his own write OK, so there's the Trident in Bangor In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > .... Note > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails > headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I quite understand, but I did smile, I thought you worked in Technical support:-) That would be one of reducing your workload;-) Chris Evans -- CJE Micro's / NCS / Fourth Dimension 'RISC OS Specialists' Telephone: (01903) 523222 Fax: (01903) 523679 chris@cjemicros.co.uk http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/ 78 Brighton Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11 2EN, UK. In article <ant221229b49pErr@client.cjemicros.co.uk>, Chris Evans <URL:mailto:chris@cjemicros.co.uk> wrote: > In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert > <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > > > .... Note > > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard...

Hard disk for Acorn A3000
Hi, Please can anyone tell me where I can get a new or second-hand hard disk for my A3000 from? I read article in the Acorn User about A3000, and I'm therefore interested although I don't really know how easy it is to fit one. Regards Paolo Paolo Borzini wrote: > Hi, > Please can anyone tell me where I can get a new or second-hand > hard disk for my A3000 from? > I read article in the Acorn User about A3000, > and I'm therefore interested although I don't > really know how easy it is to fit one. > Any old 2 1/2" HDD will do, the sort for laptops. You'll want a smallish one though, 512Mb Max I believe. You'll also need a 2 1/2" cable. Cheers, -- Russ Tarbox Remove THELID to reply by e-mail In article <403a2e5e$0$16927$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>, Russ Tarbox <russ-ebay@THELIDuserve.co.uk> wrote: > Any old 2 1/2" HDD will do, the sort for laptops. > You'll want a smallish one though, 512Mb Max I believe. You'll also need > a 2 1/2" cable. You forgot about the IDE filing system and interface, Russ. Only the A3020 has inbuilt support, the 3000 and 3010 will require an interface card of some sort. Hope this is of some help, John -- John Williams, Wirral, Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses! change user to johnrwilliams for speediest attention! Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/ In message <2a057948.0402230652.da56c4...

USB Hard Disk Woes
hi, havign trouble hooking up and formatting maxtor 250gb hard disk to solaris 9 (latest patches) on v880 . when i run cfgadm i can see the drive attached. then when i run format and see the drive in the list it asks me for the type. autoconfigure fails so i try the other type. it asks for a heap of disk geometry questions, the only inf oi have is Logical CHS but when i put these specs in the drive is formatetd nowhere its capacity. Logical CHS is 16383/16/63 drive specs are at http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/data_sheets/maxline_data_sheet.pdf .. im not enti...

Angst over Iyonix hard disc
First sorry for posting here but because of my posting address I can't easily post to mail lists. Today I was informed of an error during the execution of the boot sequence. After acknowledging the message I went on to boot most of the system but only 1 icon was on the pin board. I went on to find DiscKnight, and did eventually a repair with an undo. This took a time, found several errors, about 50, which it said it had repaired. I went on to do another check, which said there were even more, over a hundred. I did another repair, or at least started it, but it hung at some point. ...

Hard to Find and Used Hardware
comp.unix.aix, I have seen a number of posts, asking were to find low cost system in the Chicago Area and also were to find parts for older systems. Sorry to those who take offence to a vendors posting. I work for Elarasys, Inc. located in Elgin, IL. We are a reseller of used UNIX hardware with a 27,500 square foot facility. Our largest inventory of equipment is IBM RS/6000 (pSeries) followed by Sun. If you are looking for systems, parts and features and are tired of paying IBM's high prices, I would be glad to help. We carry most systems and features in stock. Here are a few affor...

Second hard disc questions
I've been using a second hard drive on an Ultra 5 (Sol 10) for a while [1], but am setting up an x86 box (Sol 10) to use instead and would like to move the disc from one machine to the other whilst keeping the data intact. I've a couple of questions. 1) Is it ok to move a UFS formatted disc from Sparc to x86? Does it work? 2) Are entries in /dev/dsk automatically created when discs are detected or do I have to manually add entries? Peter [1] The ultra 5's graphics output has gone wibbly, an IDE channel died a while back and there were 'motherboard' warnings popping up o...

Web resources about - More hard disc woes - comp.sys.acorn.hardware

'Two brothers' behind Brussels attack
Two suicide bombers who attacked the airport in Brussels are named by Belgian media as the brothers Khalid and Brahim el-Bakraoui.

Apple’s new iPhone SE unlikely to make a splash in Asia despite low price
Apple’s newest addition to the iPhone family may be its cheapest phone yet at $399, but the four-inch iPhone SE isn’t likely to move the needle ...

How the hell could the FBI hack into that iPhone?
Experts have lots of theories, but the one that seems likeliest would be a grind.

Google's cloud business nabs Home Depot as client
By Sarah McBride SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Google Inc, long an also-ran in cloud services, has scored an important victory in its effort to win ...

World extra: Former Toronto mayor Rob Ford, 46, dies after fighting cancer
Press of Atlantic City World extra: Former Toronto mayor Rob Ford, 46, dies after fighting cancer Press of Atlantic City FILE - In this Oct. ...

Supreme Court upholds workers' class-action verdict in setback for corporations
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court dealt a setback to corporate America on Tuesday by upholding a nearly $6-million class-action verdict for a group ...

The Syrian Electronic Army was careless with Gmail, Facebook
If you're a hacker, it's a good idea to stay away from Facebook and Gmail to communicate with your colleagues. Three men, who allegedly were ...

Making money is cool again for young Silicon Valley startups
Investors packed Y Combinator's prestigious Demo Day on Tuesday to listen to startups pitch their business. But those pitches had a different ...

Nintendo is reportedly ending Wii U production this year
Nintendo launched the Wii U at the end of 2012, but sales have fallen far short of the company's expectations since then, and now a report claims ...

Sarah Palin Signs To Host Syndicated Court Show For ‘Mountain Men’ Producer
Former Alaska Governor, Vice Presidential candidate, Fox News contributor and reality star Sarah Palin is looking to return to television as ...