f



Reading a corrupted hard disc.

A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed up
recently - went belly-up on me yesterday. Even DiscKnight says it can't
fix it.

I've downloaded a trial version of Commander by Paul Vigay, also I see
that Zap has the ability to read disc sectors. It's a 2Gig drive that I
could copy somewhere else, I suppose.

The thing is, I don't really understand how I can recover sections of the
drive: presumably I'd end up with a large data file, or files - how would
I recover the files and documents therein?

Are there instructions available, or can someone advise me what I should
do?

Assistance much appreciated - there are many files on this drive that will
be awkward, if not impossible to replace.

-- 
Kell Gatherer
kell@locsource.com
The Location Source
0
nospam5958 (219)
1/10/2004 6:08:16 PM
comp.sys.acorn.hardware 3619 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

18 Replies
305 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 7

On 10 Jan 2004 Kell Gatherer <nospam@locsource.com> wrote:

> A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed up
> recently - went belly-up on me yesterday. Even DiscKnight says it can't
> fix it.

I dont remember you contacting me about it/

---druck

-- 
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/
0
news5843 (7461)
1/10/2004 7:51:13 PM
In article <3eabbb6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>, news@druck.freeuk.com 
says...
> On 10 Jan 2004 Kell Gatherer <nospam@locsource.com> wrote:
> 
> > A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed up
> > recently - went belly-up on me yesterday. Even DiscKnight says it can't
> > fix it.
> 
> I dont remember you contacting me about it/
> 

Not ever having used DiskKnight (and will probably live to regret this 
post), I presume that your personal email addy is present within the 
programme...

Otherwise a report of 'un-recoverable data' or 'DiskKight cannot recover 
any data' will promt users to ask here.

-- 
Greg Harris (Norwich)
0
1/10/2004 10:14:03 PM
On 10 Jan 2004 Greg H <nothanks@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <3eabbb6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>, news@druck.freeuk.com 
> says...
> > On 10 Jan 2004 Kell Gatherer <nospam@locsource.com> wrote:
> > 
> > > A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed up
> > > recently - went belly-up on me yesterday. Even DiscKnight says it can't
> > > fix it.
> > 
> > I dont remember you contacting me about it/
> > 
> 
> Not ever having used DiskKnight (and will probably live to regret this 
> post), I presume that your personal email addy is present within the 
> programme...

Yes. DiscKnight includes free lifetime support.

> Otherwise a report of 'un-recoverable data' or 'DiskKight cannot recover 
> any data' will promt users to ask here.

Why do people persist with this notion? If you difficulty with a program
you should contact in order:-

1) The programs author

2) The comapany which you bough it from

and only if there is no response from either of them

3) The newsgroups

If you go straight to the newsgroups you will:-

a) annoy the author

b) waste lots of other peoples time

c) get a lots of responses which may or may not be accurate

---druck

-- 
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/
0
news5843 (7461)
1/10/2004 10:29:30 PM
In article <4c6eb23e6bnospam@locsource.com>, Kell Gatherer
<URL:mailto:nospam@locsource.com> wrote:
> A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed up
> recently - went belly-up on me yesterday. Even DiscKnight says it can't
> fix it.
> 
> I've downloaded a trial version of Commander by Paul Vigay, also I see
> that Zap has the ability to read disc sectors. It's a 2Gig drive that I
> could copy somewhere else, I suppose.
> 
> The thing is, I don't really understand how I can recover sections of the
> drive: presumably I'd end up with a large data file, or files - how would
> I recover the files and documents therein?
> 
> Are there instructions available, or can someone advise me what I should
> do?
> 
> Assistance much appreciated - there are many files on this drive that will
> be awkward, if not impossible to replace.
>

Many moons ago I had a drive that crashed lots. I bought LookSystems
DiscRescue, which solved that problem and many others since.
Unfortunately, it can't cope with the latest disc format, so I've
bought DiscKnight. Which is, quite possibly, wonderful, but isn't as
friendly or easy to use.

ISTR Adrian Look resurfacing recently, so the prog might well be
available again.

-- 
Michael Gilbert: in his own write

OK, so there's the Trident in Bangor

0
mgilbert (427)
1/10/2004 10:47:12 PM
In message <MPG.1a6a807d762856829896ae@news.demon.co.uk>
          Greg H <nothanks@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <3eabbb6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>, news@druck.freeuk.com 
> says...
> > On 10 Jan 2004 Kell Gatherer <nospam@locsource.com> wrote:
> > 
> > > A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed up
> > > recently - went belly-up on me yesterday. Even DiscKnight says it can't
> > > fix it.
> > 
> > I dont remember you contacting me about it/
> > 
> 
> Not ever having used DiskKnight (and will probably live to regret this 
> post), I presume that your personal email addy is present within the 
> programme...
> 
> Otherwise a report of 'un-recoverable data' or 'DiskKight cannot recover 
> any data' will promt users to ask here.
> 
The relevant address is at the end of DiscKnight's !Help

Contact Information
-------------------
DiscKnight is distributed by The ARM Club (http://www.armclub.org.uk/),
registered users may obtain support via:-

Email: DiscKnight@armclub.org.uk

There is even a phone number (charged at Flextel rates).


The point is that the author of DiscKnight does attempt to resolve
problems and DiscKnight has, where possible, evolved in the light of
user experience. That can only happen with good feedback.

-- 
Dave Pitt.

Iyonix, OS5.03.
0
pittdj (247)
1/10/2004 11:02:05 PM
In article <3329ca6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>, news@druck.freeuk.com 
says...
> On 10 Jan 2004 Greg H <nothanks@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <3eabbb6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>, news@druck.freeuk.com 
> > says...
> > > On 10 Jan 2004 Kell Gatherer <nospam@locsource.com> wrote:
> > > 
> > > > A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed up
> > > > recently - went belly-up on me yesterday. Even DiscKnight says it can't
> > > > fix it.
> > > 
> > > I dont remember you contacting me about it/
> > > 
> > 
> > Not ever having used DiskKnight (and will probably live to regret this 
> > post), I presume that your personal email addy is present within the 
> > programme...
> 
> Yes. DiscKnight includes free lifetime support.

But is this stated in the ReadMe file?

> 
> > Otherwise a report of 'un-recoverable data' or 'DiskKight cannot recover 
> > any data' will promt users to ask here.
> 
> Why do people persist with this notion? If you difficulty with a program
> you should contact in order:-
> 
> 1) The programs author

Your looking at this from within the womb of the RISCOS community. There 
are some users who will ask 'outside' before asking the s/w writers. 
This is for many reasons, mostly to save face as I'm sure you have done 
in the past.

> 
> 2) The comapany which you bough it from

This is usually the first line but as they are 'usually' companies, you 
can expect a delay with the reply. Users are normaly impatient and want 
answers immediatley hence why they ask on usenet.
> 
> and only if there is no response from either of them
> 
> 3) The newsgroups
> 

See above.

> If you go straight to the newsgroups you will:-
> 
> a) annoy the author
> 

This depend on the fuse of the author. And wether there are forums set 
up with instruction given within the s/w.

> b) waste lots of other peoples time
> 

How can teaching someone be a wast of time. ;-)

> c) get a lots of responses which may or may not be accurate
> 

That's the purpose of usenet, surely...     ;-))

-- 
Greg Harris (Norwich)
0
1/10/2004 11:17:44 PM
In article <ad24cd6e4c.pittdj@kinetic300.fsnet.co.uk>, 
pittdj@kinetic300.fsnet.co.uk says...
> In message <MPG.1a6a807d762856829896ae@news.demon.co.uk>
>           Greg H <nothanks@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> 
> > In article <3eabbb6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>, news@druck.freeuk.com 
> > says...
> > > On 10 Jan 2004 Kell Gatherer <nospam@locsource.com> wrote:
> > > 
> > > > A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed up
> > > > recently - went belly-up on me yesterday. Even DiscKnight says it can't
> > > > fix it.
> > > 
> > > I dont remember you contacting me about it/
> > > 
> > 
> > Not ever having used DiskKnight (and will probably live to regret this 
> > post), I presume that your personal email addy is present within the 
> > programme...
> > 
> > Otherwise a report of 'un-recoverable data' or 'DiskKight cannot recover 
> > any data' will promt users to ask here.
> > 
> The relevant address is at the end of DiscKnight's !Help
> 
> Contact Information
> -------------------
> DiscKnight is distributed by The ARM Club (http://www.armclub.org.uk/),
> registered users may obtain support via:-
> 
> Email: DiscKnight@armclub.org.uk
> 
> There is even a phone number (charged at Flextel rates).
> 
> 
> The point is that the author of DiscKnight does attempt to resolve
> problems and DiscKnight has, where possible, evolved in the light of
> user experience. That can only happen with good feedback.

Most 'PC' users expect a few clicks of the mouse ie. Ontrack.

The likelyhood of contacting the author direct as with Diskknight, as 
opposed to a WIN PC application, is usually very good. With the 
shrinking market for RISCOS it is more than likely that you can talk 
direct but with multi-regional support with many more thousands of users 
this is a little more difficult for PC apps, hence support 'desks'.

RISCOS has this privilege but for how long?

-- 
Greg Harris (Norwich)
0
1/10/2004 11:38:13 PM
On 10 Jan 2004 David Pitt <pittdj@kinetic300.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> The relevant address is at the end of DiscKnight's !Help
> 
> Contact Information
> -------------------
> DiscKnight is distributed by The ARM Club (http://www.armclub.org.uk/),
> registered users may obtain support via:-
> 
> Email: D i s c K n i g h t @ a r m c l u b . o r g . u k
> 
> There is even a phone number (charged at Flextel rates).
> 
> 
> The point is that the author of DiscKnight does attempt to resolve
> problems and DiscKnight has, where possible, evolved in the light of
> user experience. That can only happen with good feedback.

Thanks David, but I already have enough spam arriving on that address
without sticking it on the newsgroups again.

---druck

-- 
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/
0
news5843 (7461)
1/11/2004 12:29:55 AM
On 10 Jan 2004 Greg H <nothanks@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <3329ca6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>, news@druck.freeuk.com 
> says...
>> Yes. DiscKnight includes free lifetime support.
> 
> But is this stated in the ReadMe file?

Yes, but what it doesn't say this may be substantially shorter than you
expect if you argue with the author :-)

---druck

-- 
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/
0
news5843 (7461)
1/11/2004 1:09:21 AM
On 11-Jan-2004, druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 10 Jan 2004 Greg H <nothanks@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <3329ca6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>,
> > news@druck.freeuk.com
> > says...
> >> Yes. DiscKnight includes free lifetime support.
> >
> > But is this stated in the ReadMe file?
>
> Yes, but what it doesn't say this may be substantially shorter than
> you expect if you argue with the author :-)

I know customers can sometimes be a bit annoying but even I don't
resort to killing them  :-O

-- 
David Holden - APDL - <http://www.apdl.co.uk>
0
news5974 (817)
1/11/2004 8:11:26 AM
In article <3329ca6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>,
   druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2004 Greg H <nothanks@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <3eabbb6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>, news@druck.freeuk.com 
> > says...
> > > On 10 Jan 2004 Kell Gatherer <nospam@locsource.com> wrote:
> > > 
> > > > A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed
> > > > up recently - went belly-up on me yesterday. Even DiscKnight says
> > > > it can't fix it.
> > > 
> > > I dont remember you contacting me about it/
> > > 
> > 
> > Not ever having used DiskKnight (and will probably live to regret this 
> > post), I presume that your personal email addy is present within the 
> > programme...

> Yes. DiscKnight includes free lifetime support.

Good news. I rang the telephone number and spoke to someone called Matt
who said he would e-mail all his colleagues at the ARM Club to see if
anyone would be willing to give me further assistance. I would have
expected that to have included you.

> > Otherwise a report of 'un-recoverable data' or 'DiskKight cannot
> > recover any data' will promt users to ask here.

> Why do people persist with this notion? If you difficulty with a program
> you should contact in order:-

> 1) The programs author

Whereas it is common knowledge that you are the program's author, I
considered it more appropriate to follow the instructions in the !Help
file, which specifically states "Please contact the DiscKnight support at
the address at the end of this document.".

> 2) The comapany which you bough it from

....which I did...

> and only if there is no response from either of them

> 3) The newsgroups

> If you go straight to the newsgroups you will:-

> a) annoy the author

David, that was furthest from my intentions, and if I have caused offence
I apologise.

> b) waste lots of other peoples time

> c) get a lots of responses which may or may not be accurate

Well, one of the responses was from the author of Disc Commander, which so
far is the only app that seems capable of reading bits of the disc. In
Google groups there's also mention of an application called FileFind that
probably won't work because this is an F+ (RO4 long filenames) disc.

If there's hope that DiscKnight can recover files on the disc, please I
need your help! I e-mailed you last night but haven't had a reply as yet.

Regards,

-- 
Kell Gatherer
kell@locsource.com
The Location Source
0
nospam5958 (219)
1/11/2004 11:04:03 AM
In article <btr0fe$agd93$1@ID-141941.news.uni-berlin.de>,
   David Holden <news@apdl.co.uk> wrote:

> I know customers can sometimes be a bit annoying but even I don't
> resort to killing them  :-O

Was the previous thread referring to the lifetime of the customer or the
lifetime of the author though?? ;->

-- 
Paul                           __\\|//__            Life,
                               (` o-o ')        the Universe
---- www.segfault.co.uk ------ooO-(_)-Ooo------ & Everything ------

Posted using a RISC OS computer - 100% immune to all email viruses.

If you're born again, do you have two bellybuttons?
0
nospam126 (984)
1/11/2004 11:55:50 AM
In article <4c6f0f3e06nospam@locsource.com>,
   Kell Gatherer <nospam@locsource.com> wrote:

> Well, one of the responses was from the author of Disc Commander, which
> so far is the only app that seems capable of reading bits of the disc. In
> Google groups there's also mention of an application called FileFind that
> probably won't work because this is an F+ (RO4 long filenames) disc.

To clarify, Disc Commander is intended to complement Disc Knight, as the
two perform different tasks.

Disc Knight will examine the map and directory structure of the disc, so
can be invaluable if your machine has trashed part of the directory map.
However, because Disc Knight looks for corruption it can't necessarily
recover or repair data lost from a disc which doesn't have any obvious
corruption on it - ie. you've re-initialised the disc or deleted a
directory, which results in lost data but no actual error.

Disc Commander will recover data and read sectors directly from the disc,
so you could (say) recover a deleted JPEG image or Impression document etc.
It can sometimes also help in reading data on physically damaged discs
which can't be repaired (but data might be recovered and re-saved onto a
different disc).

I've recently lowered the cost of Disc Commander by 10 quid, so there's no
real excuse not to buy both. :-)

-- 
Paul                           __\\|//__            Life,
                               (` o-o ')        the Universe
---- www.segfault.co.uk ------ooO-(_)-Ooo------ & Everything ------

Posted using a RISC OS computer - 100% immune to all email viruses.

Success is a journey, not a destination.
0
nospam126 (984)
1/11/2004 12:01:06 PM
On 10 Jan, in message <3329ca6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
  druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

>On 10 Jan 2004 Greg H <nothanks@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <3eabbb6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>, news@druck.freeuk.com 
>> says...
>> > On 10 Jan 2004 Kell Gatherer <nospam@locsource.com> wrote:
>> > 
>> > > A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed up
>> > > recently - went belly-up on me yesterday. Even DiscKnight says it can't
>> > > fix it.
>> > 
>> > I dont remember you contacting me about it/
>> > 
>> 
>> Not ever having used DiskKnight (and will probably live to regret this 
>> post), I presume that your personal email addy is present within the 
>> programme...
>
>Yes. DiscKnight includes free lifetime support.
>
>> Otherwise a report of 'un-recoverable data' or 'DiskKight cannot recover 
>> any data' will promt users to ask here.
>
>Why do people persist with this notion?

Don't ask me.
And what I like even less is sarcastic comments along the lines of "I
hope the <...> maintainer is reading this and picking up there's this
bug in <...>".

Yours,

Phil L.
-- 
http://www.philipnet.com               http://director.sourceforge.net
 The From address is valid, but anything >8k is deleted by the server
          f y cn ndrstnd ths cn y gv m  jb s  cmptr prgrmmr?

0
nospam8024 (635)
1/11/2004 12:23:31 PM
On 11 Jan 2004 Kell Gatherer <nospam@locsource.com> wrote:

> In article <3329ca6e4c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>,
>    druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> > If you go straight to the newsgroups you will:-
> 
> > a) annoy the author
> 
> David, that was furthest from my intentions, and if I have caused offence
> I apologise.

Dont worry, I wasn't picking on your particularly, just mentioning a trend
I've seen from doing support and help services. I get a regaular stream of
mails from people saying "I've just bought abc product from xyz company and
how do I use it?", asking xyz first doesn't seem to be as obvious as it
should. 

> If there's hope that DiscKnight can recover files on the disc, please I
> need your help! I e-mailed you last night but haven't had a reply as yet.

I haven't received anything yet, and I've just checked that the email address
is working.

---druck

-- 
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/
0
news5843 (7461)
1/11/2004 12:38:32 PM
On 11-Jan-2004, pv <NOSPAM@segfault.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <btr0fe$agd93$1@ID-141941.news.uni-berlin.de>,
>    David Holden <news@apdl.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I know customers can sometimes be a bit annoying but even I don't
> > resort to killing them  :-O
>
> Was the previous thread referring to the lifetime of the customer or
> the lifetime of the author though?? ;->

You mean druck might have been so p****d off he was considering
killing himself  :-{}

-- 
David Holden - APDL - <http://www.apdl.co.uk>
0
news5974 (817)
1/11/2004 12:40:43 PM
In article <4c6f13fb77NOSPAM@segfault.co.uk>,
   pv <NOSPAM@segfault.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <btr0fe$agd93$1@ID-141941.news.uni-berlin.de>,
>    David Holden <news@apdl.co.uk> wrote:

> > I know customers can sometimes be a bit annoying but even I
> > don't resort to killing them  :-O

> Was the previous thread referring to the lifetime of the
> customer or the lifetime of the author though?? ;->

<some time in the future Joe Bloggs has a problem with
DiscKnight...>

<fx: a telephone rings>
"Hello, Happy Mediums, Madam Cassandra speaking. How may
I help?"
"Yeah, hi, would you please meet me at the cemetry in
half an hour. I need to speak to Druck..."

VinceH

-- 
VinceH can be found in the vicinity of http://www.vinceh.com
Soft Rock Software can be found around http://www.softrock.co.uk
WebChange2 for RISC OS & Windows is at http://www.webchange.co.uk
0
spam5752 (1717)
1/11/2004 12:59:09 PM
In article <4c6eb23e6bnospam@locsource.com>, Kell Gatherer
<URL:mailto:nospam@locsource.com> wrote:
> A rather important hard drive - which of course I had not backed up
> recently - went belly-up on me yesterday. Even DiscKnight says it can't
> fix it.
> 
> I've downloaded a trial version of Commander by Paul Vigay, also I see
> that Zap has the ability to read disc sectors. It's a 2Gig drive that I
> could copy somewhere else, I suppose.
> 
> The thing is, I don't really understand how I can recover sections of the
> drive: presumably I'd end up with a large data file, or files - how would
> I recover the files and documents therein?
> 
> Are there instructions available, or can someone advise me what I should
> do?
> 
> Assistance much appreciated - there are many files on this drive that will
> be awkward, if not impossible to replace.
> 
have you tried !FSCK recently ?

Regards,
Simon.

-- 
MicroSoft/NetScape/Intel/Java/Javascript = TRASH - Blow'em ALL SKYHIGH !!!!!
There IS only one OS - Which is THE best - That is RISC OS 4 from RISCOS Ltd.
StrongARM Risc PCs - NR. 1 on this Planet - We Sell them Cheap as well to you
---

0
simon1211 (19)
1/13/2004 8:59:30 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Freebie: Original Acorn 210Mb Hard Disc
In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no defects. Does anyone want this drive for the cost of postage? Email me at the address below. Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ On 12 Sep 2007 Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of > old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard > discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ > (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 > installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which > would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; > it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no > defects. These drives are so far past their expected lifetime, don't rely on them continuing to function. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page ...

Reading Risc OS 4 hard disc.
I have a 40GB hard drive, formatted for Risc OS 4 (long filenames, etc.) but no longer have the RiscPC which contained it. Is there any way I can read the contents with a RO 3.7 machine? On 7 Feb 2005 dennis.mews@freeuk.com wrote: > I have a 40GB hard drive, formatted for Risc OS 4 (long filenames, > etc.) but no longer have the RiscPC which contained it. > > Is there any way I can read the contents with a RO 3.7 machine? DiscKnight could extract the files using its backup option, but you would have to use a 3rd party utility to provide long filenames and more than 77 files per directory, or it files could be overwritten or lost. I'd recommend however you invest in a copy of RISC OS 4 instead, as this would bring far more benefits. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ On 7-Feb-2005, dennis.mews@freeuk.com wrote: > I have a 40GB hard drive, formatted for Risc OS 4 (long filenames, > etc.) but no longer have the RiscPC which contained it. > > Is there any way I can read the contents with a RO 3.7 machine? Realistically, no. The best way would be to install RO4. If you don't want to do this (and the implication of what you say is that you've abandoned RISC OS but kept an older machine 'just in case') then I would be prepared to copy the data to an E format drive or CDs for you for a very modest fee. Contact me at dave@do...

hal.dll not found or corrupt (appears to be some kind of intermittant hardware problem with dual raid sata hard drives)
I have been getting this message intermittantly lately. I eventually did a ghost restore and the computer started working again, but during the an overnight disk check + free space too, I got an unexpected error. When I tried to boot, the hal.dll error was back. I just left the computer off for the day, and when I booted again when I got home from work, everything was fine again; and I hadn't done anything to fix the hal.dll error. What might be causing the problem. I have 2 SATA disks on raid with stripping. These are also the boot drive (letter e:). It almost seems like he...

FS: Misc Acorn (and non-Acorn) hardware
Like Peter Naulls yesterday, I'm trying to get rid of my remaining Risc PC and the related hardware. I've put them on eBay. The Acorn-specific items are: Acorn Risc PC StrongARM 233 MHz + Power-tec SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202188067 i-cubed EtherLan600 for Acorn Risc PC/A7000 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202186713 Acorn Risc PC power supply, backplane and screws http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202185817 RISC OS Select http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202184767 STD PS2Mouse for Acorn Risc PC http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202183392 Acorn MEU + Plextor PlexWriter RW 4220 internal SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202182624 Graphic tablet PaintPal Deluxe http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202181086 The rest is not Acorn-specific but was connected to either a Risc PC or a Iyonix and therefore may be of interest here as well: Mitsumi FA402M 3.5" Floppy and 7in1 Media Drive http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202179719 Sony 3.5" Floppy MPF 920 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202177159 ELSA MicroLink ISDN 4U Router/Hub http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5777800061 Iomega ZIP 100 Drive external SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202173954 HP ScanJet 3c SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...

Bush: Corruption is corruption is corruption
He is pure terror. ...

Hard Discs
I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second (slave) drive. It boots from :4. I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't find a drive. I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK. I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine it only has one drive now. Although I could leave the drive in situ till my new one arrives I really want it out so it can replace an ailing drive in my partners PC. My question is twofold - firstly where do you configure the number of hard drives, configure discs only allows you to change floppy, CD and SCSI drives and mine are both IDE; and secondly will the same problem arise when I eventually take it out and replace it with a new drive as that won't yet be formatted. JayCee In message <395577804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second > (slave) drive. It boots from :4. > > I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from > the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't > find a drive. > > I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK. > > I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine > it only has one drive now. > > Although I co...

fgetcsv returns false in dynamic read vs. hard-coded read ??
I am working with directories in PHP for the first time. I have code that I've changed multiple times to try different things. I would think this is pretty standard fare so I'm not sure why I can't seem to get it right. What I would like to see happen: The code opens the directory and loops through the files, opening them and processing them. What is happening: If I hard code the name of one particular file (it is always the same file) in my test setting, fgetcsv does not return false and the code runs fine. The file is parsed and all is well. However, if I let the code open a ...

Hard disc dying?
Today the hard disc on the A5000 at the Wandle Industrial Museum (which is, not, I may add, an exhibit!) displayed worrying behaviour, spontaneously spinning down in the middle of print spooling and then failing to spin up at all when the computer was re-started, causing it to hang for a long time mid-boot and when the hard disc icon was clicked upon. I took the top off the machine and tried unplugging and reseating the power supply lead to the hard disc, which was all I could think of, and the machine did then start up properly the next time I tried it, but I don't know if this was a coincidence or not. The computer is due to be 'upgraded' to a Windows machine in the next few months and I was relying on being able to process the data into a lowest-common-denominator form for transfer, e.g. CSV, HTML, plain text etc. I have a spare hard disc of suitable size (albeit of similar age to the original). Is the defect likely to be in the power supply from the motherboard or in the disc mechanism? i.e. will replacing the hard disc improve reliability or not? There is only 58Mb used space on the disc at present, some of which is unnecessary software -- for example, DigitalCD on a machine where the sound doesn't work -- and I am hoping that I can probably keep the old hard disc running for long enough to copy the data across if required. -- Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie == We prefer to speak evil of ourselves than not speak of oursel...

Reading data from hardware
Hello, this is the first time I use NI hardware. I have the USB-6009 unit which runs well on NI-DAQmx (V4.5). I'm trying to bring an input value to a Labview (V8.0.1). I know it sounds stupid, but what must I do to measure a signal in Labview? Best regards Marco Marco Metzger wrote: > this is the first time I use NI hardware. I have the USB-6009 unit which > runs well on NI-DAQmx (V4.5). > I'm trying to bring an input value to a Labview (V8.0.1). I know it sounds > stupid, but what must I do to measure a signal in Labview? > Best regards Marco...

Hard Disc on Iyonix
The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that I should purchase please? DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). On 14 May 2012, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: [snip] > DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the > existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). Disknight checks the directory structure. To find disc errors you need to *verify Tony In article <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: > The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 > at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same > or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same > time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that > I should purchase please? This type of error may also be due to the power supply going off. -- Chris Johnson Chris Johnson <chrisjohnson+news@spamcop.net> wrote: > In article > <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, > svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote...

read() corrupting fd_set
Hello, Consider the following code snippet: --- std::cout << "before:" << std::endl; for (HANDLE h = 0; h <= maxHandle; ++h) { if (FD_ISSET(h, &read_fds)) { std::cout << "read, " << h << std::endl; } } int r = read (this->readerPipe, (char *)data, 1); std::cout << "r = " << r << std::endl; for (HANDLE h = 0; h <= maxHandle; ++h) { if (FD_ISSET(h, &read_fds)) { std::cout << "read, " ...

Reading other disc formats
Hi all, In "The New Advanced User Guide for the BBC Master, Compact, B, B+ & Electron" there is a listing which enables the Master or B+ (basically a machine with a 1770 chip) to read files from an IBM format disc (i.e. FAT). This then got me thinking - could the 1770 be programmed to read other formats, e.g. Commodore 1541, if one knew the layout of the said format? Cheers, Gerald. -- gerald at hollypops dot co dot uk On 29/10/2015 21:56, Gerald Holdsworth wrote: > In "The New Advanced User Guide for the BBC Master, Compact, B, B+ & > El...

Hard disc scratch
My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause the system to hang. I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that Scandisk can't overcome this. Anyone know of any utility that can perhaps put the bad sectors into an "envelope" so that they are simply ignored by the system ? Salvador Freemanson wrote: > My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system > (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. > > Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. > Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and > then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. > > We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. > But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause > the system to hang. > > I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc > when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that > Scandisk can't overcome this. ...

Replacement Hard Disc
I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the maximum hard disc size that I can fit is - I've been unable to run HForm (I've tried several versions) with a 40Gb HD. So, some questions: What is the maximum size HD that I can add with the current OS and what version of HForm would I use? Can I just add some spare 3.7 ROMs I have and would it make any difference? Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)? What upgrades would make sense in this situation? Thanking you in advance. John Haines In article <4cc4b35ec8jhaines@argonet.co.uk>, John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than > about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)? > What upgrades would make sense in this situation? One answer might be an IDE card. Those can allow you to partition a larger disc so you have several all within the 3.6 maximum. IIRC. -- *I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable. Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. On 25 Jun 2004 John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to > have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the &...

Hard Disc format
I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults that HForm gave me. JayCee JayCee wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. ADFS (and HForm) carry a physical limitation of 128Gb. Drives >128Gb use feature sets not used on smaller drives, so the ADFS module needs to support that. Whilst the API for Filecore on RISC OS 5 has been designed to support 256Gb, I'm not aware of that restriction being lifted from ADFS. Select also currently formats and uses drives up to 128Gb on ADFS. Best wishes, Drew On 2 Jul 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. Use DiscKnight's verbose display to see what size you've actually formatted it to. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ In message <284027844d.druck@druck.freeuk.net> dr...

More hard disc woes
After all the difficulties I recently had -- but never solved -- getting a 120 GB disc recognised on a RISC OS 4 RiscPC, I've now tried another brand-new disc. This one is 80 GB (a size that is known to be usable on RO 4), and I haven't run HForm or similar tools on it as it came "ready to use" and I don't want to risk rendering it completely unusable. Once again it is not recognised, suggesting that there is something fundamentally wrong here. The 40 GB it replaced worked fine as slave to the 16 GB, the 40 GB is now the master and the 80 is jumpered as slave, so it's really rather puzzling! When I had the same problem with the 120 GB I also tried having it as the master with no slave and that made no difference, so I haven't tried that this time (I really don't fancy stripping down to the motherboard level again!) and strongly feel that it would change nothing. I ran DiscKnight to get some basic info, and the results (below) are intriguing, though I am no expert and do not know why it turns up this result. The number 219 keeps popping up, but I don't know what that signifies if anything. I am hoping that at least one of the experts here will read the report and immediately recignise something very silly that can easily be corrected. If not, I now have *two* spare hard discs(!) DiscKnight 1.40 (28-Dec-2002) [32bit] Serial no. 21300084 Arguments: -v -t -s ADFS 5 Boot block - Boot Record Number of Tracks : 0 Number of...

Hardware hard in Linux?
OK, here's the scenario. Dual boot box consisting of a P4P-800-E DLX, Nvidia video card, printer, scanner, bells, whistles, and it's something I'm proud of. The Linux side is running Slack 10.2 with a custom 2.6.16 kernel and gware Gnome for the desktop. Mrs. Phist decided to buy me a wireless keyboard and mouse since my old ones are almost five years old and I've beaten them all to hell. She's not the most tech savvy person in the world and just went to Best Buy and got a Microsoft keyboard/mouse combo for about $40 CAN. Not a bad deal, but I'm going from PS2 wired k...

FS: Hard discs
If anyone is interested, I've got hold of a bunch of hard discs. They're Fujitsu units, MPD3043AT, 4.3GB capacity. Ideal to give yourself a bit more space. Offers to the return address on here. Note that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I've got pukka boxes too, so mailing is no problem. Cheers Mike -- Michael Gilbert: in his own write OK, so there's the Trident in Bangor In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > .... Note > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails > headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I quite understand, but I did smile, I thought you worked in Technical support:-) That would be one of reducing your workload;-) Chris Evans -- CJE Micro's / NCS / Fourth Dimension 'RISC OS Specialists' Telephone: (01903) 523222 Fax: (01903) 523679 chris@cjemicros.co.uk http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/ 78 Brighton Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11 2EN, UK. In article <ant221229b49pErr@client.cjemicros.co.uk>, Chris Evans <URL:mailto:chris@cjemicros.co.uk> wrote: > In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert > <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > > > .... Note > > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard...

Reading disc names
I'm looking for an easy way of discovering the disc names attached to the different filing systems on my machine (ADFS, IDEFS, ShareFS, SCSI etc) i.e. to read all the connected drives and return something like the following: ADFS::HardDisc4 ADFS::Backup IDEFS::Delta IDEFS::Texan ShareFS::Oak Is there anything already available out there to produce a list like this? Or maybe someone could point me at some code that does this. I've googled through the archives of c.s.a.p and found a similar request and I believe the source of !Slayer had some code to do something along ...

Reading the size of a disc
How should the size of a (hard) disc be read? FileCore_DescribeDisc is returning the size of FileCore filesystem in the disc size fields of the disc record. -- Member AFFS, WYLUG, SWP (UK), UAF, RESPECT, StWC OpenPGP key fingerprint: D0A6 F403 9745 CED4 6B3B 94CC 8D74 8FC9 9F7F CFE4 No to software patents! Victory to the iraqi resistance! On 16 Oct 2005 Timothy Baldwin <T.E.Baldwin99@members.leeds.ac.uk> wrote: > How should the size of a (hard) disc be read? OS_FSControl 55, reverting to 49 if not supported. > FileCore_DescribeDisc is returning the size of FileCore filesy...

Failed hard disc
The main hard disc in my RiscPC seems to have given up. It threw up a disc error (which may have been 5, sadly I didn't write it down) and now all I'm getting is "Disc not found...". Attempts to access it just result in the machine freezing for long periods of time and it makes the occasional unhappy crunching noise when powered up. I'm assuming it's dead, though if anyone has any suggestions as to troubleshooting methods I'd be interested... The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a bit out of date in this respect. -- Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/ In message <2ac633d44c.steve@helvellyn.stevefryatt.org.uk> Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote: [snip] > The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are > there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a > replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem > isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a > bit out of date in this respect. I am running a Maxtor Diamond +9 (Calypso) for over 15 month now without any trouble. It is connected to the inter...

Disc read error? ? ?
A little while ago my HP Pavilion ZE5375 froze. When I tried to reboot, the process begins, then it churns for a minute or so, and I get a message which reads: "A disc read error occurred." It tells me to reboot using CTL+ALT+DEL, but everytime I do this, I always wind up with the same message. I have a CD-ROM disc which is lagbeled: "HP notebook Operating System CD Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1" I inserted this and tried to boot from the disc, but I began to get some messages that frightened me -- suggesting I might be about to reinstall Windows XP or something else drastic -- so I aborted. I'm terrified at losing the stuff I have on the disc, including my income tax which I just completed today. I'm also terrified at calling HP because I figure they'll tell me to use the recovery discs, which will wipe out everything. Any and all help and suggestions will be gratefully welcome. It sounds like your hard drive has indeed failed. This is, obviously, not good. What I would do: Remove the hard drive from the laptop and attach it to a desktop as a 2nd (3rd, 4th) hard drive using a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter. If you are lucky, the "failure" is limited to a few specific sectors, and while these are critical sectors with respect to booting from the hard drive, you can hopefully (again, if you are lucky) copy most of the data on the hard drive to the hard drive in your desktop. Once you have gotten everything off o...

My hard disc locked
I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the data.( both of them are in NTFS format) few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not competitible w/ NTFS) So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my drive D's format. There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. Plz help me! On 19 Feb 2004 02:18:34 -0800, antony617hk@yahoo.com.hk (antony617) wrote: >I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the >data.( both of them are in NTFS format) >few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and >install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) >Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not >competitible w/ NTFS) >So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW >format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't >format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my >drive D's format. >There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. >Plz help me! I found this in a different group: ---------------------------------------------- >Bednarek <mb a...

Hard disc recovery
I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the files on it ? Thanks On 3 Apr, 22:45, "freddy" <dsd....@hehg.com> wrote: > I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone > recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the > files on it ? > > Thanks Hi freddy, Ouch! Bad luck. Thoughts that spring to mind are: -Dump an image of the drive 'as is' before you do anything else... ....mind you 120gb is going to need some room. Do you have a (um) PC/ Mac with scsi you could use to make the dump if space is tight on your Acorn..? -Something like DiscKnight may help - really an IDE recovery tool but you never know... -Having backed-up the drive first, repartitioning with the original map *may* get you a fair bit of your data back. -Thanks for the contributions :-)- Regards, Charles. Charlie wrote: > On 3 Apr, 22:45, "freddy" <dsd....@hehg.com> wrote: >> I have a SCSI 120Gb hard disk that was accidently re-partitioned can anyone >> recommend a suitable tool to un partition the drive so I can recover the >> files on it ? > -Something like DiscKnight may help - really an IDE recovery tool but > you never know... As long as the disc hasn't been repartitioned and reinitialised with the same sizes as originally (which will overwrite the disc ma...

Web resources about - Reading a corrupted hard disc. - comp.sys.acorn.hardware

Corrupted Blood incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Corrupted Blood incident is a video game glitch and virtual plague that occurred on September 13, 2005 in the MMORPG World of Warcraft . ...

Corrupted Cartridge (@corruptedcart) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

Corrupted Call - The Demonic Furby - YouTube
So a man named Milton, buys his obsese son a Furby doll. However what he soon finds out is that the Furby is a demon, who uses vulgar language ...

Dangerous liaisons: How George Alex and his gang corrupted the building industry
George Alex's ambition to control building construction in Australia was enabled by the backing of ruthless criminals, big building companies ...

Leaders of national political advisory body discuss expelling corrupted official
Leaders of national political advisory body discuss expelling corrupted official People's Daily Online 19 Chairman and vice chairpersons of ...

Apple has fixed the corrupted DRM App issue according to a statement
... with Good Reader ) today. Apple: This is a serious problem. It’s not isolated. Please fix this. Related articles Apple is pushing out corrupted ...

Now That Scalia Has Corrupted Kagan, What Progressive Pastime Should Kagan Make Scalia Do?
Scalia now has Kagan hunting defenseless animals. Great. His victory is nearly complete… Continue reading » Follow Above the Law on Twitter ...

Google introduces safety warnings for corrupted and modified Android software
... will be checked every single time the device boots, giving you a specific warning if the phone has been somehow tinkered with, or is corrupted. ...

A corrupted IRS
Via Zero Hedge: On Jan, 25, 2012, the criteria for flagging suspect groups was changed to, "political action type organizations involved in ...

Apple tells developers fix is coming for corrupted App Store
Developers were notified by Apple on Thursday that a fix is in the works for the corrupted iOS and Mac App Stores, some three days after a possible ...

Resources last updated: 3/23/2016 7:52:47 AM