Reading ADFS floppies on Linux

Has anyone tried reading ADFS floppies on Linux, or more
specifically Fedora Core?

I've tried

mount -t adfs /dev/fd0 /etc/floppy

but the adfs file type seems unsupported - even though
the docs indicate the type ADFS is supported by mount.

Ian.

0
dna-7e6g (33)

In message <1170953348.259140.87460@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>
          dna-7e6g@iximail.com wrote:

> Has anyone tried reading ADFS floppies on Linux, or more
> specifically Fedora Core?
>
> I've tried
>
> mount -t adfs /dev/fd0 /etc/floppy
>
> but the adfs file type seems unsupported - even though
> the docs indicate the type ADFS is supported by mount.
>
> Ian.

Is the adfs kernel-module existing and loaded?

Try "modprobe adfs" and then see if it works.

--
Ask me about GPG-Key.
(As in: "Ask me about Loom", LucasArts�)
dna-7e6g@iximail.com wrote:
> Has anyone tried reading ADFS floppies on Linux, or more
> specifically Fedora Core?

Not recently, but there are two problems here.  One is reading the data off
the floppy, and the other is understanding the FileCore (ADFS) filesystem.
The latter is supported by the 'adfs' module (and also someone posted here
recently about a FUSE filesystem that can understand ADFS images).  The
first is a problem because lots of hardware is expecting DOS sector
numbering (512 byte sectors, numbered starting from 1) whereas ADFS sectors
are 1024 bytes starting from 0.  I think Linux should be capable of 1024
byte sectors, but it's the sort of thing that's not tested very well these
days (because none of the PC people use it).

It might be worth seeing how Linux support for different sector sizes is
doing... it worked for me (reading sector-by-sector off the disk) back in
2002, but I think I used an extra library to do it.

Theo
0
news539 (2440)
2/8/2007 10:47:43 PM
Theo Markettos <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> It might be worth seeing how Linux support for different sector sizes is
> doing... it worked for me (reading sector-by-sector off the disk) back in
> 2002, but I think I used an extra library to do it.

I remember now:
http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk/Unix/LibDsk/

I wanted it mostly for its corrupt sector skipping function, but I did
manage to read all my old floppies under x86 Linux with it.

Theo
0
news539 (2440)
2/9/2007 3:06:01 PM
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 08:49:08 -0800, dna-7e6g wrote:

> Has anyone tried reading ADFS floppies on Linux, or more
> specifically Fedora Core?
>
> I've tried
>
> mount -t adfs /dev/fd0 /etc/floppy
>
> but the adfs file type seems unsupported - even though
> the docs indicate the type ADFS is supported by mount.

Issuing 'cat /proc/filesystems' from a shell should tell you what types of
filesystem the kernel that you're running knows about.

There's no DFS support in the kernel at all though, and the ADFS support
is limited to later types.

I doubt that any of the stock kernels shipped with any of the Linux
distributions have ADFS support compiled - you'll need to grab the
kernel source and rebuild, including the ADFs code either as a module or
compiled directly into the kernel.

However, Andrew Benham's written some code to support more ADFS variants,
as well as DFS, under Linux using the FUSE code:

  http://www.adsb.co.uk/bbc/linux

.... FUSE allows you to provide filesystem drivers at the userspace level
rather than in kernel space - but you'll still need to rebuild the kernel
to compile the FUSE API layer in if you don't have it (and most stock
kernels probably don't)

cheers

Jules

Thanks for the replies - I checked and the ADFS support isnt
included - so I'm going to recompile the kernel with it enabled.

Ian.

0
dna-7e6g (33)

reading ADFS floppies from alien hardware
Hi all, Is there any sensible way to read old ADFS floppies from linux running on x86 hardware? ADFS support has been in the kernel for many years, but I believe that there is a problem driving the floppy disk controller. TIA -- Sig goes here... Peter D. On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 14:57:32 +1000, "Peter D." <psd@c17.home.invalid> wrote: >Hi all, > >Is there any sensible way to read old ADFS floppies from linux running >on x86 hardware? ADFS support has been in the kernel for many years, >but I believe that there is a problem driving the floppy disk cont...

LibDsk: reading ADFS floppies on Linux
I want to image my collection of ADFS floppies before bit-rot turns them all unreadable. But I don't fancy the idea of tying up the Risc PC to image several hundred floppies so I can't get on with other work. The other Acorn machines are also out, which leaves me with a Win95 or a Linux box to do the imaging... I'm trying to use libdsk on the Linux box to read some E format floppies. I'm doing dsktrans -otype raw -format acorn800 /dev/fd0 disc.image but this only works some of the time on my small selection of test floppies. Some floppies it images fine, whilst others it ...

read adfs under linux
Hi, It's many years since I've had a working RISC OS machine. Inow find a need to re-visit some of my old work, stored on ADFS floppies. Can anyone here advise me whether any linux utility exists for reading such discs? Cheers, Tony In message <dbbpn0Ftea7U1@mid.individual.net> on 21 Nov 2015 Tony van der Hoff wrote: > It's many years since I've had a working RISC OS machine. Inow find a > need to re-visit some of my old work, stored on ADFS floppies. Can > anyone here advise me whether any linux utility exists for reading such > dis...

Floppies read by Windows but not by Linux
Why can some of my older floppies, newly written on with my vintage Sony Mavica camera, be read by Windows XP but not by Linux? All I know at this point is that formatting is not at issue. -- Charles Packer http://cpacker.org/whatnews mailboxATcpacker.org Charles Packer wrote: > Why can some of my older floppies, newly written on with > my vintage Sony Mavica camera, be read by Windows XP but > not by Linux? All I know at this point is that formatting > is not at issue. > Might be a physical drive issue, or simply that Linux hasn't got the right FAT drivers installed. ...

Reading dos floppy under Linux
How can I read dos floppies under SUSE Linux ? If I remember correctly Slackware had commands like dos dir, dos cp to serve this purpose. What is available under SUSE ? Thanks, Paul On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 01:01:42 GMT, paul <paul.horan@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > How can I read dos floppies under SUSE Linux ? > If I remember correctly Slackware had commands like dos dir, dos cp to serve > this purpose. What is available under SUSE ? > Thanks, > Paul > The commands dosdir, doscp, etc. are part of the mtools package. You can use that or you ...

OT: How to read an ADFS harddrive under Linux (x86)?
Hi All, Sorry, this is pretty off topic - but I figured this was the most likely place to have anyone who knew how this worked! I've recently started looking into Linux and have Mandrake installed on my PC. I'd like to transfer the (zipped) contents of my RiscPC harddisc onto my x86 PC. With some googling I've come across a handful of references to "being able to read ADFS under Linux", but nothing which actually tells you how to do it! I'd be grateful for any pointers. Thanks a lot, Adam -- news@snowstone.org.uk wrote: > Hi All, > > Sorry, this is pr...

Linux, Linux, Linux

Beta testers: read oldmap ADFS on Linux
If you have any oldmap ADFS disks or image files (i.e. S,M,L, or D floppy disks, or image files of BBC Micro hard drives) and you run Linux, then I'd appreciate feedback on my Fuse module to enable the filesystems to be read natively. http://www.adsb.co.uk/bbc/linux/Fuse-ADFS-beta1.tar.gz Although you may want to look at http://www.adsb.co.uk/bbc/linux/ first. ...

Reading old IIe floppies without Apple Hardware
I have a box of 5�" floppies that were used in a IIe system back in the late 80's / early 90's. My boyfriend's mom passed away in 1989 and left a number of disks behind. The contents of the disks are a mystery, but they would mostly be high school papers, etc. (His mom was an English teacher.) Is there any easy way to get the contents of the disks? I was looking through them briefly and one of them says, "Appleworks", on it. Not sure if it's the software or the documents. I would love to be able to read the contents and maybe convert them to disk im...

Minix cannot read minix-formatted floppies formatted on Linux or vise versa
Just to let people know, I have found a *BUG* In minix 3. Minix 3 cannot read floppy disks formatted under linux (no matterwhat options you pass to mkfs.minix, or vise versa. FYI I always build my Linux kernel with minix filesystem support, because you never know when it will be useful. Thank you. -- Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the answer. (Taken from a .signature from someone from the UK, source unknown) Segin, Does it works with minix version 2. I mean floppy formated on minix version 2 accessable on Linux. Thanks, On 10/28/05 01:57, Seg...

All About Linux: GNU To Linux? Read This First!
http://encyclopediadramatica.se/Lunix � I haven't been laid in a year. :( I think it's my distro. What version are you guys running? � �Welcome to Lunix! � I always eagerly wait for the new Lunix kernel. When I think of what compilation commands to use I get a huge boner and I often masturbate during the compilation. Some time ago I bought a new computer that compiles the kernel so fast I don't have time to cum. So I compile it twice. � �Typical Lunix user. Hope he runs make clean! "linux.exe, pronounced Ginoo Slash Linnucks, is a common ...

migrating linux to linux, different hardware
hi all. We're planning to migrate several linux servers, with applications installed (like oracle, etc.) , onto another newer hardware, which I am to install linux (preferably an updated distro version) as well. I'm a bit of newbie, but what I imagine is that instead of installing on the new machines from scratch -- OS plus apps plus accompanying data -- which would take too much time, can I install an updated version of linux distro first, and then after that, just copy all the directories in the original box that are not dependent on the OS (such as /var, /home, /etc, /usr, ...)? W...

USB floppy that reads LD floppies
http://www.techadvice.com/info/item.asp?cid=401&pid=106&iid=14968 It says it wont read HFS/ProDOS 720KB disks. JWolf6589 <jwolf6589@aol.comnospam> wrote: > It says it wont read HFS/ProDOS 720KB disks. Yes, and that's definitely a problem for the people for whom it's a problem. However, not's absolutely not a problem for the people for whom it's not a problem. So, I can say that if this presents a problem to you, then you have a problem, but if it doesn't present a problem to you, then at least in this regard you're problem-free. Thanks for car...

[News] [Linux] More Focus on Linux Hardware Support
64-Bit Linux Spotlighted at Gelato ICE: Itanium Conference & Expo ,----[ Quote ] | Attendee favorites included keynotes on Linux kernel development for | Itanium architecture by the Linux 2.6 kernel maintainer, Andrew | Morton, and the Itanium processor vision and roadmap by Intel's | James Fister. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070523006049&newsLang=en More Fun With Printing ,----[ Quote ] | Overall, if you choose your printers carefully, printing on | Linux is powerhouse, and getting better all the time. `---- ...

Web resources about - Reading ADFS floppies on Linux - comp.sys.acorn.hardware

floppies - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I wonder if these even still work...

Imperial March (of the Floppies) - YouTube
Uh oh, I'm afraid my floppy drives might be turning to the dark side of the force... The software this creation is based off of is open source ...

Free floppies a policy flop
The Opposition Leader promised this week that every Australian household would receive a free floppy disk drive and monochrome monitor under ...

60 Minutes shocked to find 8-inch floppies drive nuclear deterrent
... Strategic Air Command Digital Network (SACDIN) , a communication system that delivers launch commands to US missile forces. Beyond the floppies, ...

Is Netflix killing DVDs like Apple killed floppies? (Q&A)
Big Champagne CEO argues that Netflix's price increase is reminiscent of when Apple CEO Steve Jobs removed the 3.5-inch floppy drive from the ...

Sports Illustrated gives us ‘The Floppies’
SI ranks the worst dives, flops, and fakes of season

Lost Andy Warhol artworks discovered on Amiga floppies from the '80s
Rediscovered artwork like a napkin Picasso or unearthed Matisse can be identified on sight, but pieces crafted in the digital age by pop-artist ...

Roddenberry, restored: Team recovers nearly 200 floppies owned by Star Trek creator
A data recovery company has rescued the contents of more than 200 floppy disks owned by Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. Data on the disks ...

The Floppies: Ranking The 10 Most Ridiculous Dives Of The Season
To much fanfare, the NBA unveiled a new anti-flopping program last October. Finally, through a video review process that would assess warnings, ...

Windows 8.1 install-able from 3,711 Floppies - Imgur
Imgur is home to the web's most popular image content, curated in real time by a dedicated community through commenting, voting and sharing. ...