f



Replacement Hard Disc

I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to
have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the
maximum hard disc size that I can fit is - I've been unable to run
HForm (I've tried several versions) with a 40Gb HD.

So, some questions:

What is the maximum size HD that I can add with the current OS and what
version of HForm would I use?

Can I just add some spare 3.7 ROMs I have and would it make any
difference?

Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than
about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)?

What upgrades would make sense in this situation?

Thanking you in advance.

John Haines

0
jhaines1 (11)
6/25/2004 6:14:00 PM
comp.sys.acorn.hardware 3619 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

9 Replies
383 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 36

In article <4cc4b35ec8jhaines@argonet.co.uk>,
   John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than
> about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)?

> What upgrades would make sense in this situation?

One answer might be an IDE card. Those can allow you to partition a larger
disc so you have several all within the 3.6 maximum. IIRC.

-- 
*I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable.

    Dave Plowman        dave@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
0
dave137 (3026)
6/25/2004 6:45:25 PM
On 25 Jun 2004 John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to
> have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the
> maximum hard disc size that I can fit is - I've been unable to run
> HForm (I've tried several versions) with a 40Gb HD.
> 
> So, some questions:
> 
> What is the maximum size HD that I can add with the current OS and what
> version of HForm would I use?

You could use any size up to 128GB, but the format is horribly inefficent
above 4GB, and 8GB is a practical limit, otherwise the disc will be filled
before a fraction of the space is used.

For examople on a 40GB disc every file and directory will take up a minimum
of 4MB.
 
> Can I just add some spare 3.7 ROMs I have and would it make any
> difference?

You need RISC OS 4 to be able to benefit from the more efficent storage
format, plus long filenames and (almost) unlimited files per directory.
 
---druck

-- 
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/
0
news5843 (7461)
6/25/2004 11:16:05 PM
On 25 Jun  John Haines  wrote:

> I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to
> have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the
> maximum hard disc size that I can fit is - I've been unable to run
> HForm (I've tried several versions) with a 40Gb HD.

> Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than
> about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)?

AUTdirect - http://www.autdirect.co.uk/acatalog/
often have small capacity harddrives on sale.

-- 
Stewart Goldwater
http://www.janus.freeserve.co.uk/
0
6/26/2004 12:10:44 AM
In article <d206cfc44c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>, druck
<news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 25 Jun 2004 John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc
> > appears to have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find
> > out what the maximum hard disc size that I can fit is - I've been
> > unable to run HForm (I've tried several versions) with a 40Gb HD.
> > 
> > So, some questions:
> > 
> > What is the maximum size HD that I can add with the current OS and
> > what version of HForm would I use?

> You could use any size up to 128GB, but the format is horribly
> inefficent above 4GB, and 8GB is a practical limit, otherwise the
> disc will be filled before a fraction of the space is used.

I'm getting a "bad number" error when I run HForm with a 40Gb HD. I'd
assumed that was because of a hardware limitation but you're saying it
isn't. Ive tried HForm 2.48, 2.51 and 2.56 and they all do this
immediately identifying the HD as IDE. Any ideas?

I'm aware of the storage efficiency limitations and the benefits of
RISC OS 4 (my other RISC PC runs it).

John

0
jhaines1 (11)
6/26/2004 9:12:59 AM
In article <d206cfc44c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>,
   druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> You need RISC OS 4 to be able to benefit from the more efficent storage
> format, plus long filenames and (almost) unlimited files per directory.

Interesting.... so not an unlimited files per directory, then? 
And therefore... how many files per directory on RO 4?
And does the same apply to RO 5, which I use almost exclusively these days?

John

0
iyonix (4)
6/26/2004 11:23:57 AM
In message <4cc511aa6ciyonix@ntlworld.com>
          Iyonix <iyonix@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> In article <d206cfc44c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>,
>    druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> 
> > You need RISC OS 4 to be able to benefit from the more efficent storage
> > format, plus long filenames and (almost) unlimited files per directory.
> 
> Interesting.... so not an unlimited files per directory, then? 
> And therefore... how many files per directory on RO 4?
> And does the same apply to RO 5, which I use almost exclusively these days?
> 
You will find that the filing system slows down the more files you put
into it. It is noticeable by the time you get to a couple of thousand I
think. I did once get to about 11000 but by this time each filing
operation would take about 2 seconds.
Don't know about RO5 though.

Cheers!
-- 
Graham
The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk
Deathzone Emulation - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk/emulation
0
thedoctor3 (634)
6/26/2004 1:40:55 PM
In message <4cc505acc6jhaines@argonet.co.uk>
          John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]
> I'm getting a "bad number" error when I run HForm with a 40Gb HD. I'd
> assumed that was because of a hardware limitation but you're saying it
> isn't. Ive tried HForm 2.48, 2.51 and 2.56 and they all do this
> immediately identifying the HD as IDE. Any ideas?
>
What make and model of drive is it?
Are you using the internal interface or a third party one? (I'm
guessing the internal one)
Cheers!

-- 
Graham
The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk
Deathzone Emulation - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk/emulation
0
thedoctor3 (634)
6/26/2004 1:42:06 PM
On 26 Jun 2004 Iyonix <iyonix@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> In article <d206cfc44c.druck@druck.freeuk.net>,
>    druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> 
> > You need RISC OS 4 to be able to benefit from the more efficent storage
> > format, plus long filenames and (almost) unlimited files per directory.
> 
> Interesting.... so not an unlimited files per directory, then? 

Not quite, directories can be a maximum of 4MB, so thats between 104856 files
with 10 character names, and 14768 files with 255 character names.

> And therefore... how many files per directory on RO 4?

As long as the disc is the '+' format, as above. Older formats with 77
files per directory and 10 character names are still supported.

> And does the same apply to RO 5, which I use almost exclusively these days?

Yes, the '+' format is available on both.

---druck

-- 
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/
0
news5843 (7461)
6/26/2004 2:27:21 PM
In article <56501ec54c.TheDoctor@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk>, The
Doctor <thedoctor@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <4cc505acc6jhaines@argonet.co.uk> John Haines
>           <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> [snip]
> > I'm getting a "bad number" error when I run HForm with a 40Gb HD.
> > I'd assumed that was because of a hardware limitation but you're
> > saying it isn't. Ive tried HForm 2.48, 2.51 and 2.56 and they all
> > do this immediately identifying the HD as IDE. Any ideas?
> >
> What make and model of drive is it? Are you using the internal
> interface or a third party one? (I'm guessing the internal one)
> Cheers!

Hitachi Deskstar HDS722540VLAT20 using internal interface.

I've now got hold of a 4.3 Gb drive which I've formatted to just less
than 4Gb to give a LFAU of 8k.

John

0
jhaines1 (11)
6/26/2004 6:28:09 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Freebie: Original Acorn 210Mb Hard Disc
In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no defects. Does anyone want this drive for the cost of postage? Email me at the address below. Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ On 12 Sep 2007 Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of > old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard > discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ > (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 > installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which > would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; > it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no > defects. These drives are so far past their expected lifetime, don't rely on them continuing to function. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page ...

FS: Misc Acorn (and non-Acorn) hardware
Like Peter Naulls yesterday, I'm trying to get rid of my remaining Risc PC and the related hardware. I've put them on eBay. The Acorn-specific items are: Acorn Risc PC StrongARM 233 MHz + Power-tec SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202188067 i-cubed EtherLan600 for Acorn Risc PC/A7000 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202186713 Acorn Risc PC power supply, backplane and screws http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202185817 RISC OS Select http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202184767 STD PS2Mouse for Acorn Risc PC http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202183392 Acorn MEU + Plextor PlexWriter RW 4220 internal SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202182624 Graphic tablet PaintPal Deluxe http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202181086 The rest is not Acorn-specific but was connected to either a Risc PC or a Iyonix and therefore may be of interest here as well: Mitsumi FA402M 3.5" Floppy and 7in1 Media Drive http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202179719 Sony 3.5" Floppy MPF 920 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202177159 ELSA MicroLink ISDN 4U Router/Hub http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5777800061 Iomega ZIP 100 Drive external SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5202173954 HP ScanJet 3c SCSI http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...

Hard Discs
I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second (slave) drive. It boots from :4. I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't find a drive. I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK. I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine it only has one drive now. Although I could leave the drive in situ till my new one arrives I really want it out so it can replace an ailing drive in my partners PC. My question is twofold - firstly where do you configure the number of hard drives, configure discs only allows you to change floppy, CD and SCSI drives and mine are both IDE; and secondly will the same problem arise when I eventually take it out and replace it with a new drive as that won't yet be formatted. JayCee In message <395577804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second > (slave) drive. It boots from :4. > > I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from > the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't > find a drive. > > I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK. > > I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine > it only has one drive now. > > Although I co...

Hard disc sick?
Hello, Don't know if this is a hardware issue or if it's just s/ware causing unnescessary concern. My HD verifys 100% perfect but I have recently strarted getting disc error messages when I load MPro. Nothing seems to get corrupted and everything works fine once I've clicked OK on all the errors but obviously I don't want to miss a warning sign that my HD's about to expire. I'm thinking it could well be hardware as also it keeps on re-initialising during use, certainly never used to park the heads after periods of inactivity which is what it appears to be doing now. Any one any thoughts? Pity there isn't a SATA podule available, I've got an 80GB SATA drive with about 3 hrs. use on it just sitting in a box. Also when I've got some money I'll be looking out for a new IDE podule as that Simtec one just isn't doing the job, am only getting onboard IDE performance levels out of it - think it's simply not working with DMA. If any one has a decent IDE card for sale I'd be interested to hear from them. Cheers, Mike.... -- Michael Hambley - mike@armpowered.co.uk http://www.armpowered.co.uk - My little corner of the web. http://www.dispose-it.co.uk - IT disposal/recycling & data destruction. http://www.ecoputers.co.uk - New and refurbished computers, peripherals etc. In message <7d2abf644d.Michael@armpowered.co.uk> Michael Hambley <mike@armpowered.co.uk> wrote: > expire. I'm thinking it c...

Replacing smbbatt.sys...
Hello, We are developing a battery powered portable unit that uses an off the shelf PC motherboard. The board has an Intel 815 chipset with ICH4 southbridge containing an SMBus host controller. I've installed Windows XP and it installs a composite battery driver and a few other ACPI drivers. Windows doesn't see any batteries and I'm guessing this is because the ACPI BIOS isn't fully describing that we have two batteries and a selector. Rather than have the BIOS customised the plan was to: 1. Write a PCI driver that drives the ICH4 host to replace the "no dr...

Replacing a hard drive
Hi everybody, The hard disk in my laptop no longer works, so I wanted to switch it with another one. As I have no other (spare) hard drives at hand, I was wondering if it was possible to connect a normal 3.5" IDE hard disk to this laptop. Can this be done? The laptop one has a special mini connector, is there a cable available to connect to an IDE hard disk? Please note that it is my intention to use this disk, replacing the disk with a laptop sized one is not an option. Thanks in advance, Ikke Re: "As I have no other (spare) hard drives at hand, I was wondering if it was possible to connect a normal 3.5" IDE hard disk to this laptop." Not as the "main" internal hard drive. However, it can be connected as a USB device, the laptop bios may or may not let you boot from it. You can get used laptop drives on E-Bay for as little as $10 for a 3 or 4 gigabyte size drive. Ikke wrote: > Hi everybody, > > The hard disk in my laptop no longer works, so I wanted to switch it with > another one. > > As I have no other (spare) hard drives at hand, I was wondering if it was > possible to connect a normal 3.5" IDE hard disk to this laptop. > > Can this be done? The laptop one has a special mini connector, is there a > cable available to connect to an IDE hard disk? > > Please note that it is my intention to use this disk, replacing the disk > with a laptop sized one is not an option. > &g...

Hard drive replacement
Is it possible to replace a hard drive in an iMac? MacMan <bshifley@gmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to replace a hard drive in an iMac? Are you asking is it possible at all or is it possible by you? Seriously, yes, certainly, it's possible, but whether it's something you're able or willing to do yourself depends partly on your level of comfort with disassembling and reassembling hardware and partly on which specific model of iMac you're talking about. The various models vary widely in their degree of difficulty. -- <http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi>...

Hard disc recovery
I had a somewhat strange experience today with a hard drive. Some months ago I decided to upgrade the hard drive on my PC from 100GB to 160GB. The drives were formatted to NTFS. I used the now spare 100GB drive in my Risc PC, initialising it with my Unipod, where it has been used since February this year. As the 100GB was a bit over the top and the PC again needed more space, I reverted the Risc PC to its original 10GB drive and put the 100GB drive - still with all the Risc PC stuff on it - back into the PC, as a slave to the other drive. When I turned the PC on, it went into a half hour ...

More hard disc woes
After all the difficulties I recently had -- but never solved -- getting a 120 GB disc recognised on a RISC OS 4 RiscPC, I've now tried another brand-new disc. This one is 80 GB (a size that is known to be usable on RO 4), and I haven't run HForm or similar tools on it as it came "ready to use" and I don't want to risk rendering it completely unusable. Once again it is not recognised, suggesting that there is something fundamentally wrong here. The 40 GB it replaced worked fine as slave to the 16 GB, the 40 GB is now the master and the 80 is jumpered as slave, so it's really rather puzzling! When I had the same problem with the 120 GB I also tried having it as the master with no slave and that made no difference, so I haven't tried that this time (I really don't fancy stripping down to the motherboard level again!) and strongly feel that it would change nothing. I ran DiscKnight to get some basic info, and the results (below) are intriguing, though I am no expert and do not know why it turns up this result. The number 219 keeps popping up, but I don't know what that signifies if anything. I am hoping that at least one of the experts here will read the report and immediately recignise something very silly that can easily be corrected. If not, I now have *two* spare hard discs(!) DiscKnight 1.40 (28-Dec-2002) [32bit] Serial no. 21300084 Arguments: -v -t -s ADFS 5 Boot block - Boot Record Number of Tracks : 0 Number of...

Hard disc dying?
Today the hard disc on the A5000 at the Wandle Industrial Museum (which is, not, I may add, an exhibit!) displayed worrying behaviour, spontaneously spinning down in the middle of print spooling and then failing to spin up at all when the computer was re-started, causing it to hang for a long time mid-boot and when the hard disc icon was clicked upon. I took the top off the machine and tried unplugging and reseating the power supply lead to the hard disc, which was all I could think of, and the machine did then start up properly the next time I tried it, but I don't know if this was a coincidence or not. The computer is due to be 'upgraded' to a Windows machine in the next few months and I was relying on being able to process the data into a lowest-common-denominator form for transfer, e.g. CSV, HTML, plain text etc. I have a spare hard disc of suitable size (albeit of similar age to the original). Is the defect likely to be in the power supply from the motherboard or in the disc mechanism? i.e. will replacing the hard disc improve reliability or not? There is only 58Mb used space on the disc at present, some of which is unnecessary software -- for example, DigitalCD on a machine where the sound doesn't work -- and I am hoping that I can probably keep the old hard disc running for long enough to copy the data across if required. -- Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie == We prefer to speak evil of ourselves than not speak of oursel...

Hard disc scratch
My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause the system to hang. I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that Scandisk can't overcome this. Anyone know of any utility that can perhaps put the bad sectors into an "envelope" so that they are simply ignored by the system ? Salvador Freemanson wrote: > My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system > (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. > > Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. > Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and > then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. > > We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. > But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause > the system to hang. > > I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc > when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that > Scandisk can't overcome this. ...

My hard disc locked
I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the data.( both of them are in NTFS format) few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not competitible w/ NTFS) So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my drive D's format. There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. Plz help me! On 19 Feb 2004 02:18:34 -0800, antony617hk@yahoo.com.hk (antony617) wrote: >I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the >data.( both of them are in NTFS format) >few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and >install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) >Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not >competitible w/ NTFS) >So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW >format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't >format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my >drive D's format. >There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. >Plz help me! I found this in a different group: ---------------------------------------------- >Bednarek <mb a...

Failed hard disc
The main hard disc in my RiscPC seems to have given up. It threw up a disc error (which may have been 5, sadly I didn't write it down) and now all I'm getting is "Disc not found...". Attempts to access it just result in the machine freezing for long periods of time and it makes the occasional unhappy crunching noise when powered up. I'm assuming it's dead, though if anyone has any suggestions as to troubleshooting methods I'd be interested... The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a bit out of date in this respect. -- Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/ In message <2ac633d44c.steve@helvellyn.stevefryatt.org.uk> Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote: [snip] > The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are > there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a > replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem > isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a > bit out of date in this respect. I am running a Maxtor Diamond +9 (Calypso) for over 15 month now without any trouble. It is connected to the inter...

SCSI Hard Disc
My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their anything I can try? Luckily I only use it for temporary audio files so nothing important on it. I ran a test on it just the other day and it reported ok. Perhaps coincidence? -- *There's no place like www.home.com * Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article <4d1b9717e5dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > anything I can try? ... Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ In article <4d1c16edfcbric-nospam@argonet.co.uk>, Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > > anything I can try? ... > Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? No. -- *I yell because I care Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article &...

Replacing hard drive? ? ?
I have a fairly new HP Pavilion ze5300 -- which has given me a lot of trouble. I have an uneasy feeling that the hard disc may be going bad. I have a good hard drive from another laptop that I could use, but my question is, if I start with a newly formatted hard drive and use the recovery disc that came with my laptop, with it install everything, including Windows XP, on the new one? Ray Jenkins <rayj.balt@deletethisverizon.net> wrote: : I have a fairly new HP Pavilion ze5300 -- which has given me a lot of : trouble. : I have an uneasy feeling that the hard disc may be going bad. I have a good : hard drive from another laptop that I could use, but my question is, if I : start with a newly formatted hard drive and use the recovery disc that came : with my laptop, with it install everything, including Windows XP, on the new : one? Doing a restore from the restor CD's should restore the laptop to the state it was in when you opened the box and first turned it on. If the laptop came with some canned software installed, that too should be already installed after the restore. Andrew -- ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <---- ******************************************************************* ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address ******************************************************************* This question is difficult to answer specifically and exactly, si...

FS: Hard discs
If anyone is interested, I've got hold of a bunch of hard discs. They're Fujitsu units, MPD3043AT, 4.3GB capacity. Ideal to give yourself a bit more space. Offers to the return address on here. Note that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I've got pukka boxes too, so mailing is no problem. Cheers Mike -- Michael Gilbert: in his own write OK, so there's the Trident in Bangor In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > .... Note > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails > headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I quite understand, but I did smile, I thought you worked in Technical support:-) That would be one of reducing your workload;-) Chris Evans -- CJE Micro's / NCS / Fourth Dimension 'RISC OS Specialists' Telephone: (01903) 523222 Fax: (01903) 523679 chris@cjemicros.co.uk http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/ 78 Brighton Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11 2EN, UK. In article <ant221229b49pErr@client.cjemicros.co.uk>, Chris Evans <URL:mailto:chris@cjemicros.co.uk> wrote: > In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert > <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > > > .... Note > > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard...

Replacing the Hard Drive..
Do you need to back up the OS too, or will the pc automaticaly install it back?? Thanks angelsbridge@webtv.net wrote: > Do you need to back up the OS too, or will the pc automaticaly install > it back?? Thanks Think this through. Install it back from WHERE? -- Regards, James Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 05:38:28 -0500, angelsbridge@webtv.net wrote: >Do you need to back up the OS too, or will the pc automaticaly install >it back?? Thanks No laptop -- or desktop/tower PC for that matter -- will automatically recover its ...

How to Replace Fiery Hardware?
Hello I am a Computer techy for a Graphics Design shop. We have a Kodak 1565 printer that is run by a very old Fiery Hardware RIP. Lately it has been unreliable and guess who has been asked to find a cheap solution. Is there a good software rip to power this Kodak 1560? I have setup a new P4 with hypertheading and Windows XP Pro dedicated to powering another large format printer. If I could put the software on that computer and get rid of the old slow Fiery Hardware I would be considered a God in my shop. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Regards to all, Bozo :) Just what language does the Kodak machine speak? "Bozo" <qulus@telus.net> wrote: > Is there a good software rip to power this Kodak 1560? > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Hi Bozo, Could you use Photoshop for this task? Photoshop is a good eps and pdf rasterizer software. Just a suggestion. I work mostly with single page documents and Photoshop works fine with them. Alejandro Tejada Rampage. http://www.getitfromtheexperts.com/rampage.asp Thomas D. Greer http://www.tgreer.com "Bozo" <qulus@telus.net> wrote in message news:8izRb.25108$A7.3324@edtnps84... > Hello I am a Computer techy for a Graphics Design shop. > We have a Kodak 1565 printer that is run by a very old Fiery Hardware RIP. > Lately it has been unreliable and guess who has been asked to find a cheap > solution. > Is there a good software rip to power this Kodak 1560?...

Replace a hard drive
Does anyone know how to get a Daewoo CN610 laptop open to replace a dead hard drive? Thanks, John ...

Replacing my hard drive
I have an IBM T42. It only came with a 40G hard drive which is about full. I need to get a new one. I'm used to having either an operating cd or a restore cd that come with my computers but IBM has a partition on the hard drive in case of a system restore. Although I can't see it in "my computer" with an assigned drive letter. I'm wondering how I can install a new hard drive on my laptop. I was thinking I should go through the "create recovery disks" and then start dumping them into the new hard drive. Wrong? Thanks IS IS <y@hl.com> wrote: > I have an IBM T42. It only came with a 40G hard drive which is about full. > I need to get a new one. Err .... how about "deleting something"? It works, you know! > I'm used to having either an operating cd or a restore cd that come with my > computers but IBM has a partition on the hard drive in case of a system > restore. They give you a cd if you ask - within 180 days, I believe. And it's easy enough to make your own - look it up on the web (I presume you are talking about MS slp). > I'm wondering how I can install a new hard drive on my laptop. Copy your old one to your new one (use a usb housing or some other computer). Peter Can't delete anything. That's why I need a larger HD. It's not completely full. I'm at about 32G's right now. Thanks for the info. I will try to copy directly on to a new hard drive. IS "P...

A3010 Hard disc
Hi. Know this is a tall order but does anyone have an IDE interface for the A3010 which I could use to connect a hard disc to the machine? Also, I need a user port on the expansion card. I dont need a hard disc, I have two in an A7000 and I could take one for this. Know it wont fit, but neatness doesnt really matter. I just need the inteface. Alternatively does anyone have an expansion card of any sort whatsoever for an A7000 with a user port on it? I really dont care what it is so long as theres a user port (for an external control box I want to get working for a model railway). If anyone has one they dont want could they email me? Dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk Would prefer an email as I wont have a chance to check the group for a while. A freebie would be great (I would pay postage etc) but otherwise email me with a price and I'll consider it. Cant pay too much tho Im a poor skivvy student!! :-) Many thanks in advance Jon Dallimore On 22-Jun-2005, "Jon Dallimore" <dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk> wrote: > Know this is a tall order but does anyone have an IDE interface for > the A3010 which I could use to connect a hard disc to the machine? > Also, I need a user port on the expansion card. I dont need a hard > disc, I have two in an A7000 and I could take one for this. Know it > wont fit, but neatness doesnt really matter. I just need the > inteface. > > Alternatively does anyone have an expansion card of any sort > whatsoever for an...

Hard Disc on Iyonix
The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that I should purchase please? DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). On 14 May 2012, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: [snip] > DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the > existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). Disknight checks the directory structure. To find disc errors you need to *verify Tony In article <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: > The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 > at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same > or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same > time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that > I should purchase please? This type of error may also be due to the power supply going off. -- Chris Johnson Chris Johnson <chrisjohnson+news@spamcop.net> wrote: > In article > <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, > svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote...

Hard Disc format
I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults that HForm gave me. JayCee JayCee wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. ADFS (and HForm) carry a physical limitation of 128Gb. Drives >128Gb use feature sets not used on smaller drives, so the ADFS module needs to support that. Whilst the API for Filecore on RISC OS 5 has been designed to support 256Gb, I'm not aware of that restriction being lifted from ADFS. Select also currently formats and uses drives up to 128Gb on ADFS. Best wishes, Drew On 2 Jul 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. Use DiscKnight's verbose display to see what size you've actually formatted it to. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ In message <284027844d.druck@druck.freeuk.net> dr...

Hard drive replacement
Hi, Apologies for my ignorance. I've been building my own desktops for 10 years, but I've been told that laptops are different beasts. I just inherited a 5-year-old Toshiba A15-S127 from a friend. It appears that the hard drive (original Toshiba) has given up the ghost. When we booted it up, it ran a full scandisk (to my friend's surprise) and corrected all errors and ran flawlessly for 3 hours. When we rebooted it couldn't access the hard drive. He said his son had dropped it more than once. I assume that the HD has been damaged, as it displayed new errors when scandisk ran again. And again. Then I got the "a disk read error has occurred" message over and over. Now all I get is the Toshiba splash screen and a blinking cursor followed by a blank screen. Hmm... now the "a disk read error has occurred" message is back. BTW, I tried booting from an XP install disk. I got it to boot once but it crashed during the system scan. Now it won't boot at all. That's got me wondering if the IDE connector on the board could be damaged? I can hear both the HDD and combo drives spin up. I'd rather not throw money at this if it seems to be a mobo problem, but I wouldn't mind investing in a new hard drive. Any thoughts you folks might offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Steve haligonab wrote: > Hi, > > Apologies for my ignorance. I've been building my own desktops for 10 > years, but I've been told that la...

Web resources about - Replacement Hard Disc - comp.sys.acorn.hardware

Chemistry and Metallurgy Research Replacement Facility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Chemistry and Metallurgy Research Replacement Facility , usually referred to as the CMRR , is a facility under construction at Los Alamos ...

Unsportsmanlike Conduct Called On Replacement NFL Ref Due To Facebook Posts
One of the National Football League ’s replacement officials was removed from his assignment to work the New Orleans Saints ’ visit to the Carolina ...

Facebook Home: Replacement Home Screen for Android
Nicely-designed phone interface that I would personally never want to use. (They’re embedding Helvetica rather than using Google’s crummy Roboto. ...

The Replacements (@TheReplacements) on Twitter
Website has been fixed. Stay tuned to see what other shenanigans we may or may not have up our sleeves... theReplacementsOfficial.

App Store - The Complete Hair Replacement Guide
Get The Complete Hair Replacement Guide on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Nexus 4 Screen Replacement + Frame/Bezel Exchange - YouTube
For the parts or tools needed to perform this repair visit http://www.repairsuniverse.com/lg-nexus-4-e960-screen-replacement-repair-parts.ht ...

You can now buy replacement tips for the Apple Pencil in packs of 4 for $19
While it didn’t officially announce them onstage during its press event earlier today, Apple this evening has started selling replacement tips ...

Senator Demands Abbott Labs Reconsider 180 Layoffs, Foreign Replacements
Senator Demands Abbott Labs Reconsider 180 Layoffs, Foreign Replacements

Brita’s Smart Water Pitcher Orders Its Own Replacement Filters
... so many of those (admittedly safe) carbon flakes getting through the filter. So, that’s it right? They can just kick back, keep selling replacement ...

This firm finds oxycodone replacement
A U.K.-based company has found a drug that could replace oxycodone as a leading painkiller, CNBC’s Jim Cramer says.

Resources last updated: 3/23/2016 7:45:27 AM