RO Sound

In the RISC OS boot configuration, Internal sound configuration tool, I
find all of the choices for the System beep annoying and grating on my
ears.

The question or two.
Where do these noises reside, is there a directory somewhere that contains
them?

Is there a way to add a better sound sample of my own to the system noise?

Thanks

Dave

--

Dave Triffid
0

In article <55dd3d3318dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes <dave@triffid.co.uk>
wrote:
> In the RISC OS boot configuration, Internal sound configuration tool, I
> find all of the choices for the System beep annoying and grating on my
> ears.

> The question or two. Where do these noises reside, is there a directory
> somewhere that contains them?

> Is there a way to add a better sound sample of my own to the system
> noise?

The nominal answer is "yes". This has been discussed on the ROOL forum
IIRC. I'm afraid I didn't take much notice as it is based on the old 8-bit
'wavetables' and 'voices' which don't interest me. But I think someone has
produced an updated wavetable/voice generator program that can be used on
modern RO hardware to create new 'voices'. There are, I assume, also ones
about - mainly created for old games I guess.

Jim

Jim
11/11/2016 9:29:05 AM
In article <55dd3d3318dave@triffid.co.uk>,
   Dave Symes <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In the RISC OS boot configuration, Internal sound configuration tool, I
> find all of the choices for the System beep annoying and grating on my
> ears.

> The question or two. Where do these noises reside, is there a directory
> somewhere that contains them?

> Is there a way to add a better sound sample of my own to the system
> noise?

On my ARMX6 they are in the rommodules:
 78 System ROM  WaveSynth               1.25    Active
 79 System ROM  StringLib               1.19    Active
 80 System ROM  Percussion              1.18    Active

So I assume you would need to unplug one of those and write a new module
in the same format with the sound you want, give it the same name and get
it to load at start up and then configure it in boot.

Having said that, I don't have the skills to do it.

Alan

--
alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk
alan.dawes@riscos.org
In article <55dd3d3318dave@triffid.co.uk>,
   Dave Symes <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In the RISC OS boot configuration, Internal sound configuration tool, I
> find all of the choices for the System beep annoying and grating on my
> ears.

> The question or two. Where do these noises reside, is there a directory
> somewhere that contains them?

> Is there a way to add a better sound sample of my own to the system
> noise?

Yes. I have what is called Sibelius Piano. A piano chord rather than the
beep, which I also disliked - and all the other standard noises.

I can't remember where it goes. If no-one else does, I'll have a search
for it. Verma shows it as a module. So it must be possible to add your own
too.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
0
Dave
11/11/2016 10:56:08 AM
In article <55dd4a35b3alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk>,
   Alan Dawes <alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <55dd3d3318dave@triffid.co.uk>,
>    Dave Symes <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> > In the RISC OS boot configuration, Internal sound configuration tool, I
> > find all of the choices for the System beep annoying and grating on my
> > ears.

> > The question or two. Where do these noises reside, is there a directory
> > somewhere that contains them?

> > Is there a way to add a better sound sample of my own to the system
> > noise?

> On my ARMX6 they are in the rommodules:
>  78 System ROM  WaveSynth               1.25    Active
>  79 System ROM  StringLib               1.19    Active
>  80 System ROM  Percussion              1.18    Active

> So I assume you would need to unplug one of those and write a new module
> in the same format with the sound you want, give it the same name and get
> it to load at start up and then configure it in boot.

> Having said that, I don't have the skills to do it.

> Alan

Thanks for that Alan,
On my RISC OS 6.20 I discover they are at position 80, 81 and 82.

Write a new module... Hohohohoho!  More chance of me walking on the moon
than that happening.

Don't need to unplug the modules to get rid of the sound, that can be
switched off in boot configure sound, and I don't really want it switched
off, just changed.

Ah well!

Thanks anyway.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid
0
<noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <55dd3d3318dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes
> <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> > In the RISC OS boot configuration, Internal sound configuration tool,
> > I find all of the choices for the System beep annoying and grating on
> > my ears.

> > The question or two. Where do these noises reside, is there a
> > directory somewhere that contains them?

> > Is there a way to add a better sound sample of my own to the system
> > noise?

> The nominal answer is "yes". This has been discussed on the ROOL forum
> IIRC. I'm afraid I didn't take much notice as it is based on the old
> 8-bit 'wavetables' and 'voices' which don't interest me. But I think
> someone has produced an updated wavetable/voice generator program that
> can be used on modern RO hardware to create new 'voices'. There are, I
> assume, also ones about - mainly created for old games I guess.

In the dim and distant pre-32 bit era I once created a sound module
(which now complains it is incompatible) and pretty sure I saved it from
a RISC OS sound app *as a module*. The help string says
Voice Module	2.10 (28 Feb 1995) by Richard Hudson
and the instructions I wrote say

Bell ReadMe.txt

Installation of new 'beep', RISC OS 3.n
=======================================

1. Place a copy of the Relocatable Module 'Bell' in

		!Boot.Choices.Boot.PreDesk

2. Re-boot.

3. Run !Boot (Configure) and select 'Sound'

4. From the 'Voice' drop-down menu, select 'Bell'.

5. Set Volume and Quiet or Loud beep to suit your setup.

6. Relax.

There are some 32 bit compatible 'voices' in drucksville
https://armclub.org.uk/32bit/

If you look at their help strings it tells you which software created
them.

--
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Ethical? Energy: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg Telecoms: http://tjrh.eu/phone

Dave Plowman (News) wrote on 11 Nov:
> Yes. I have what is called Sibelius Piano. A piano chord rather than
> the beep, which I also disliked - and all the other standard noises.
> I can't remember where it goes.

Here, I made a directory   $.Sound.autoboot-sounds   and put my own
little collection of sound modules into it -- like your Sibelius
Piano.  One of my favourites is Chimes.

Then in Boot Tasks I have a one-line obeyfile:
   repeat filer_run $.Sound.autoboot-sounds

This adds the new sound modules to the list in Configure > Sound.

Unfortunately other favourites from RiscPC days have never been
32-bitted and thus don't work on new hardware. Among them are Bing,
Carhorn, Ding and Tada, which all internally say "Voice module 2.10
(1995) by Richard Hudson".  Xylophone is another favourite; it says
"Voxsample 1.00 (1991)".  If 32-bit versions are available somewhere,
I'd be glad to know where.

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
>> "from" address is genuine but will change.  website has current one.
0
Jim
11/11/2016 4:48:32 PM
In article <9ba76ddd55.jim@abbeypress.net>,
   Jim Nagel <jimnewsm13c@abbeypress.co.uk> wrote:
> Dave Symes wrote:
> >> Is there a way to add a better sound sample of my own to the system
> >> noise?

> Dave Plowman (News) wrote on 11 Nov:
> > Yes. I have what is called Sibelius Piano. A piano chord rather than
> > the beep, which I also disliked - and all the other standard noises.
> > I can't remember where it goes.

> Here, I made a directory   $.Sound.autoboot-sounds   and put my own
> little collection of sound modules into it -- like your Sibelius
> Piano.  One of my favourites is Chimes.

> Then in Boot Tasks I have a one-line obeyfile:
>    repeat filer_run $.Sound.autoboot-sounds

> This adds the new sound modules to the list in Configure > Sound.

> Unfortunately other favourites from RiscPC days have never been
> 32-bitted and thus don't work on new hardware. Among them are Bing,
> Carhorn, Ding and Tada, which all internally say "Voice module 2.10
> (1995) by Richard Hudson".  Xylophone is another favourite; it says
> "Voxsample 1.00 (1991)".  If 32-bit versions are available somewhere,
> I'd be glad to know where.

Erm! but first you've gotta make the sound module, and I have absolutely
no idea about that.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid
0
<dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

[ ... ]

> Thanks for that Alan, On my RISC OS 6.20 I discover they are
> at position 80, 81 and 82.

> Write a new module... Hohohohoho!  More chance of me walking
> on the moon than that happening.

> Don't need to unplug the modules to get rid of the sound, that
> can be switched off in boot configure sound, and I don't
> really want it switched off, just changed.

I've sent you a few modules to try.

Brian.

0
Brian
11/11/2016 8:19:27 PM
In article <55dd80f738bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk>,
   Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <55dd4e4ef4dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes
> <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> [ ... ]

> > Thanks for that Alan, On my RISC OS 6.20 I discover they are
> > at position 80, 81 and 82.

> > Write a new module... Hohohohoho!  More chance of me walking
> > on the moon than that happening.

> > Don't need to unplug the modules to get rid of the sound, that
> > can be switched off in boot configure sound, and I don't
> > really want it switched off, just changed.

> I've sent you a few modules to try.

> Brian.

I received them okay Brian, I'll have a play tomorrow.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid
0
wrote:
> In article <55dd80f738bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk>, Brian Carroll
>    <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > I've sent you a few modules to try.

> > Brian.

> I received them okay Brian, I'll have a play tomorrow.

> Dave

There is a 32 bit program for creating voices. No idea if it works, but you
may be able to find it via

https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/1/topics/6619

or

http://www.riscository.com/2016/snippets-16th-october-2016/

Jim

Jim
11/12/2016 9:29:35 AM
On 11 Nov, dave@triffid.co.uk wrote:
> In article <55dd80f738bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk>,
>    Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <55dd4e4ef4dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes
> > <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > [ ... ]

> > > Thanks for that Alan, On my RISC OS 6.20 I discover they are
> > > at position 80, 81 and 82.

> > > Write a new module... Hohohohoho!  More chance of me walking
> > > on the moon than that happening.

> > > Don't need to unplug the modules to get rid of the sound, that
> > > can be switched off in boot configure sound, and I don't
> > > really want it switched off, just changed.

> > I've sent you a few modules to try.

> > Brian.

> I received them okay Brian, I'll have a play tomorrow.

> Dave

Thank for that Brian,
I've put CarHorn and Chimes in the pool and am using Chimes as the Sys
sound.

I've also had a play with something I downloaded (!WaveGen) that can be
used to create a sample and a module, but so far not had much luck with
that.   (Screech).

 It would be very useful to be able to use an existing sound sample and
get that put in... But we are talking about ancient RISC OS, not Windows
or Linux.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid
0
   Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <55dd8c7776dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes <dave@triffid.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > In article <55dd80f738bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk>, Brian Carroll
> >    <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > > I've sent you a few modules to try.

> > > Brian.

> > I received them okay Brian, I'll have a play tomorrow.

> > Dave

> There is a 32 bit program for creating voices. No idea if it works, but
> you may be able to find it via

> https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/1/topics/6619

> or

> http://www.riscository.com/2016/snippets-16th-october-2016/

> Jim

Yes indeed Jim,

After you posted yesterday that you'd seen something on the ROOL forums in
the past, I went there and spent some time searching, eventually finding
some links on the FrenchRO site that actually worked. (Some of the links I
found were dead)

I downloaded all three apps and had a play, but all I've managed to
produce is a short screech.

Thanks for the info though.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid
0
   Dave Symes <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>  It would be very useful to be able to use an existing sound sample and
> get that put in... But we are talking about ancient RISC OS, not Windows
> or Linux.

On this RPC, you have the choice of ticking 16 bit which I've done. Seem
to remember there was a card you had to fit for this too - which I must
have. Do later machines use 32 bit?

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
0
Dave
11/12/2016 11:15:33 AM
In article <55ddd30152dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News)
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <55ddcc5d89dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes
>    <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> >  It would be very useful to be able to use an existing sound sample
> > and get that put in... But we are talking about ancient RISC OS, not
> > Windows or Linux.

> On this RPC, you have the choice of ticking 16 bit which I've done. Seem
> to remember there was a card you had to fit for this too - which I must
> have. Do later machines use 32 bit?

I'm not quite sure what question you are asking. However in simple terms
the RO sound system remains limited to a maximum of 16 bits per sample.

In effect, there are still two parallel systems. One starts with the 8-bit
'voices'. The other Is based on assuming 16-bit lpcm. It is then up to any
playing software to supply the OS with either 8-bit or 16-bit streams.

FWIW I've largely ignored 8-bit in what I've done as it has no real
relevance to decent audio quality. But I have expanded on how the 16-bit
systems work in the ROSS Document.
http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/temp/ROSSDocument.pdf

IIRC I think it also has an over-view diagram that includes 8-bit. But
beyond that I ignored it, I'm afraid.

User software like !DigitalCD / DiskSample can play 24 bit source material.
So you can now play, say, 96k/24bit flac files if you use something like
the HDMI audio controller and have a suitable HDMI device. *However* to do
this the 24bit values get 'demoted' to 16 bits per sample in order to pass
though SoundDMA. Hence although you can play 24 bit files, the result is
reduced to 16 bit.

Indeed, you can now play 196k sample rate stereo though suitable hardware,
but again limited to a max of 16bits per sample.

Similarly, hardware as used for machines like the ARMiniX and ARMX6 is
capable of accepting and playing 24bit. But they encounter the same OS
limitation - that SoundDMA (and SharedSound) can't pass 24 bit and have t
be fed no more than 16 bits per sample.

This is a shame as most decent HDMI (and USB) devices can accept 24 bit.

It would be nice to see a software module that allowed 24 bit material to
be upsampled as that would improve the situation. But the basic problem is
that we'd need SoundDMA/SharedSound upgraded to cope with 24bit to really
solve this limit. Just as we could use surround sound *if* you could get it
past SoundDMA/SharedSound into the hardware.

FWIW If I list the audio modes supported by my HDMI hardware it includes
ones that go to 7.1 surround, and includes DTS. Others may find their
hardware can do even better. But the OS has no way to cope as things stand.
That said, personally, I have no interest in surround sound. But I'd
suspect other people *do*.

Jim

Jim
11/12/2016 1:30:19 PM
In article <55dddf5807noise@audiomisc.co.uk>,
   Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:
> > >  It would be very useful to be able to use an existing sound sample
> > > and get that put in... But we are talking about ancient RISC OS, not
> > > Windows or Linux.

> > On this RPC, you have the choice of ticking 16 bit which I've done.
> > Seem to remember there was a card you had to fit for this too - which
> > I must have. Do later machines use 32 bit?

> I'm not quite sure what question you are asking. However in simple terms
> the RO sound system remains limited to a maximum of 16 bits per sample.
[snip]

Just that I added a different sound to this RPC. So it is possible. And
easy if I managed it. ;-) But this is running RO 4.39 - I've no experience
of later OS.

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
0
Dave
11/12/2016 2:01:05 PM
In article <55dde228e2dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News)
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> > > On this RPC, you have the choice of ticking 16 bit which I've
> > > done. Seem to remember there was a card you had to fit for this
> > > too - which I must have. Do later machines use 32 bit?

> > I'm not quite sure what question you are asking. However in
> > simple terms the RO sound system remains limited to a maximum of
> > 16 bits per sample.
> [snip]

> Just that I added a different sound to this RPC. So it is possible.
> And easy if I managed it. ;-) But this is running RO 4.39 - I've no
> experience of later OS.

I've tried both Tim and Jims methods for substituting the default...
WaveSynth-Beep with Chimes but I get no sound during a re-boot. The
Sound window in the Configuration utility shows Chimes selected and
clicking 'Try' makes Chimes work.

Is there anything else I could try?

Tested on Raspberry Pi 2 model B with RISC OS 5.23 (02-Apr-16)

0
Richard
11/14/2016 5:27:43 PM
In article <55defcc03bbasura@invalid.addr.uk>, Richard Ashbery
<basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:
> I've tried both Tim and Jims methods for substituting the default...
> WaveSynth-Beep with Chimes but I get no sound during a re-boot. The
> Sound window in the Configuration utility shows Chimes selected and
> clicking 'Try' makes Chimes work.

I have Chimes set and it does not make a sound during a re-boot either,
unless an error occurs.

To test if the default sound has been set correctly, press f12 and then
<Ctrl>G. You should hear the chime.

--
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Ethical? Energy: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg Telecoms: http://tjrh.eu/phone
* Have a genuine & spam-proof address for Usenet http://www.invalid.org.uk/
* RISC OS downloads http://timil.com/riscos
0
Tim
11/17/2016 6:28:03 PM
In article <55e08dc837tim@invalid.org.uk>,
   Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:
> In article <55defcc03bbasura@invalid.addr.uk>, Richard Ashbery
> <basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:
> > I've tried both Tim and Jims methods for substituting the default...
> > WaveSynth-Beep with Chimes but I get no sound during a re-boot. The
> > Sound window in the Configuration utility shows Chimes selected and
> > clicking 'Try' makes Chimes work.

> I have Chimes set and it does not make a sound during a re-boot either,
> unless an error occurs.

> To test if the default sound has been set correctly, press f12 and then
> <Ctrl>G. You should hear the chime.

Since I changed my Sound setting to Chimes I get no beep/squeeks/burps
when the RISC OS emulators boot, but aside from that, when RISC OS is
fully running, sounds issued when required are the chimes.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid
0
          Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <55ddd30152dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News)
> <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <55ddcc5d89dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes
>>    <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>>>  It would be very useful to be able to use an existing sound sample
>>> and get that put in... But we are talking about ancient RISC OS, not
>>> Windows or Linux.

[snip]

> It would be nice to see a software module that allowed 24 bit material to
> be upsampled as that would improve the situation. But the basic problem is
> that we'd need SoundDMA/SharedSound upgraded to cope with 24bit to really
> solve this limit. Just as we could use surround sound *if* you could get it
> past SoundDMA/SharedSound into the hardware.

If you RMkill SharedSound - and then run !DigitalCD - it should latch
onto SoundDMA.

So only one module that needs updating to 24bit sound samples - to
start with.

--
Colin Ferris Cornwall UK
0
   <cferris@freeRemoveuk.com.invalid> wrote:
> In message <55dddf5807noise@audiomisc.co.uk> Jim Lesurf
>           <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

> > In article <55ddd30152dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News)
> > <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> [snip]

> > It would be nice to see a software module that allowed 24 bit material
> > to be upsampled as that would improve the situation. But the basic
> > problem is that we'd need SoundDMA/SharedSound upgraded to cope with
> > 24bit to really solve this limit. Just as we could use surround sound
> > *if* you could get it past SoundDMA/SharedSound into the hardware.

> If you RMkill SharedSound - and then run !DigitalCD - it should latch
> onto SoundDMA.

> So only one module that needs updating to 24bit sound samples - to
> start with.

Alas, it's way beyond my ability to write a 24bit replacement for
SoundDMA. And the ROOL people - understandably - have other priorities.

And in reality, the complication is that the SoundDMA module hands over to
the HAL - which would also need to cope with 24bit and varies with the
hardware platform. So more than one module would need changing.

Fortunately, I can now play 24bit audio via USB. But this bypasses SoundDMA
entirely. The snag then being that there are no modules which let DCD, etc,
use it. I've been trying to get people to write one, but no joy so far. It
would be superb if there was a module that let DCD play 24bit audio out via
USB. But this key link in the chain is missing. A 24bit version of
DisckSample that can send to USB would be very welcome. However the audio
emphasis recently has been on HDMI audio. Again, for understandable
reasons, but it didn't help with 24 bit.

The reality remains that serious audio now has migrated to at *least* 24bit
LPCM. But - apart from direct to USB - RO simply still can't cope with that
as yet. The best SoundDMA routes can currently offer is to truncate it to
16bit to squeeze though SoundDMA/HAL.

Jim

Jim
11/18/2016 10:03:47 AM
Dave Symes  wrote on 18 Nov:
> Since I changed my Sound setting to Chimes I get no beep/squeeks/burps
> when the RISC OS emulators boot, but aside from that, when RISC OS is
> fully running, sounds issued when required are the chimes.

I find a disadvantage to having Chimes set as the system beep is that
programs can't vary the pitch of it.  For instance, I have a utility
called Capsbeep* that alerts me if flying fingers hit the blessed
Capslock key -- high beep for uppercase, low beep for lowercase.

Chimes always gives the same sound, but simpler voices such as the old
Wavesynthbeep allow the different pitches for up and low.  The Piano
module (among those 24-bitted by Druck, mentioned upthread) also
cooperates, so I settled on that one, which is much nicer than the
primitive old Wavesynth one.

(* thanks, Bruce Coleman and Steve Fryatt --  published in Archive
some years ago.  Hmmm, I see I'm using a more recent version.  Will
have to do an update article in the mag.)

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
>> "from" address is genuine but will change.  website has current one.
0
Jim
11/18/2016 5:37:20 PM
On 18/11/2016 17:37, Jim Nagel wrote:
> Chimes always gives the same sound, but simpler voices such as the old
> Wavesynthbeep allow the different pitches for up and low.  The Piano
> module (among those 24-bitted by Druck, mentioned upthread) also
> cooperates, so I settled on that one, which is much nicer than the
> primitive old Wavesynth one.

24 bitted? I 32 bitted a couple of sound modules but didn't make any
changes to the sample format, they were probably all the old 8 bit voice
modules.

---druck

0
druck
11/18/2016 6:33:13 PM
druck  wrote on 18 Nov:
> 24-bitted? I 32-bitted a couple of sound modules but didn't make any
> changes to the sample format, they were probably all the old 8-bit
> voice modules.

Oops, a pils of the eugnot.  I meant 32 of course.

Been meaning to ask, Druck: how did you go about the 32-bitting?
Would your method be up to tackling a few other sound modules from the
8-bit days, such as Xylophone (which was my favourite)?

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
>> "from" address is genuine but will change.  website has current one.
0
Jim
11/18/2016 7:07:00 PM
On 18/11/2016 19:07, Jim Nagel wrote:
> Been meaning to ask, Druck: how did you go about the 32-bitting?
> Would your method be up to tackling a few other sound modules from the
> 8-bit days, such as Xylophone (which was my favourite)?

Most of the voice modules have been generated by a program, so when
you've done one, the rest are very similar. IIRC the procedure is:-

1. Run the 26 bit module through ARMalyser to produce assembler output
2. Manually convert any sections of the sound data which ARMalyser has
    incorrectly identified as code (its a bit too eager sometimes) to
    data statements
3. Fix any 26bit code identified by ARMalyser, usually just involves
    changing flag preserving return instructions to non-preserving
4. Ensure that the exits from the module entry points clear the flags
    so you don't get a spurious V set error condition when using non
    flag preserving return instructions
5. Extend the module header to include the new flags word and set the
    32 bit flag
6. Recompile the module by running it through Objasm, instructions
    should be in the ARMalyser documentation somewhere

If you want to try yourself, get hold of one of the modules I've
converted, and the original, run them through ARMalyser and look at the
differences.

---druck

0
druck
11/19/2016 11:18:27 AM
druck  wrote on 19 Nov:
> If you want to try yourself, get hold of one of the modules I've
> converted, and the original, run them through ARMalyser and look at
> the differences.

Thanks for the clear step-by-step.  It's wy beyond my programming
experience, and, though I'd find it fun to have a go, I'd better
devote my puzzling-time to stuff people are already waiting for me to
finish.  Howbout I publish it as a challenge in the magazine?