f



Angst over Iyonix hard disc

First sorry for posting here but because of my posting address I can't
easily post to mail lists.

Today I was informed of an error during the execution of the boot
sequence.  After acknowledging the message I went on to boot most of the
system but only 1 icon was on the pin board.  

I went on to find DiscKnight, and did eventually a repair with an undo. 
This took a time, found several errors, about 50, which it said it had
repaired.  I went on to do another check, which said there were even more,
over a hundred.  I did another repair, or at least started it, but it hung
at some point.  I had to reset.  

Lo and behold the boot sequence worked correctly.  I did another check
which was not clear, and again had a hang when I tried another repair. 
Again a reset allowed a correct boot sequence.  Of course I lost the undo
files but I have a directory with Lost+found

I don't think I can face another repair just yet. 

Would someone please advise me.  Is it time to order a new hard disc? 
What is the easiest way to transfer the stuff.


Thanks to all

0
rjseago (182)
8/27/2008 8:39:00 PM
comp.sys.acorn.misc 5707 articles. 0 followers. michael104 (366) is leader. Post Follow

3 Replies
221 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 40

Robert Seago wrote:

Follow ups to csa.hardware, please.  csa.misc is not a dumping ground.

> I don't think I can face another repair just yet. 
> 
> Would someone please advise me.  Is it time to order a new hard disc? 
> What is the easiest way to transfer the stuff.

Perhaps.  If you do, then jumper it to slave, and plug it in
alongside the main drive (possibly unplug the CDROM temporarily).
Format it, and copy from main drive whilst you can.

Take out old drive, jumper new drive to main, and boot.  You
probably need to do *opt4,1 (IIRC) to make it bootable, and
rename the drive to the same as the old one, so your
Pinboard stuff doesn't get upset.


0
peter4500 (2516)
8/27/2008 9:15:17 PM
On 27 Aug 2008 Robert Seago <rjseago@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> First sorry for posting here but because of my posting address I can't
> easily post to mail lists.

> Today I was informed of an error during the execution of the boot
> sequence.  After acknowledging the message I went on to boot most of the
> system but only 1 icon was on the pin board.

What error?

> I went on to find DiscKnight, and did eventually a repair with an undo.
> This took a time, found several errors, about 50, which it said it had
> repaired.  I went on to do another check, which said there were even more,
> over a hundred.  I did another repair, or at least started it, but it hung
> at some point.  I had to reset.

At which point you stop, and contact me on the support email address, 
the free support is provided for a good reason.

> Lo and behold the boot sequence worked correctly.  I did another check
> which was not clear, and again had a hang when I tried another repair.
> Again a reset allowed a correct boot sequence.  Of course I lost the undo
> files but I have a directory with Lost+found

Undo files are supposed to be stored on a different persisant medium, 
such as floppy drive, so you don't loose them.

> I don't think I can face another repair just yet.

Don't attempt one until the cause of the problems is established, as 
you risk compounding any data loss.

> Would someone please advise me.  Is it time to order a new hard disc?
> What is the easiest way to transfer the stuff.

Have you done a verify from the drives icon to check if the disc has 
physical errors?

Please email me on the DiscKnight address for further advice.

---druck

-- 
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/
0
news5843 (7461)
8/27/2008 10:58:55 PM
On 27-Aug-2008, Robert Seago <rjseago@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Today I was informed of an error during the execution of the boot
> sequence.  After acknowledging the message I went on to boot most of the
> system but only 1 icon was on the pin board.
>
> I went on to find DiscKnight, and did eventually a repair with an undo.
> This took a time, found several errors, about 50, which it said it had
> repaired.  I went on to do another check, which said there were even more,
> over a hundred.  I did another repair, or at least started it, but it hung
> at some point.  I had to reset.
>
> Lo and behold the boot sequence worked correctly.  I did another check
> which was not clear, and again had a hang when I tried another repair.
> Again a reset allowed a correct boot sequence.  Of course I lost the undo
> files but I have a directory with Lost+found
>
> I don't think I can face another repair just yet.
>
> Would someone please advise me.  Is it time to order a new hard disc?

I rather think it is.Certaionly if the drive is more than about 3 years old.
However, IME if you get this type of problem with a hard disc you should
regard the 'fixing' process as merely a temporary patch to enable you to do
an up to date backup. Then re-initialise the drive, restore everything and
try again. (You DO have a proper backup system, don't you?  ;-)

Also remember *something* caused the problem. If it's not a physical error
(Disc error xxx at xxxx) then it's some piece of software that's causing it
and it may well do it again, even with a new drive. The last time I had to
do any sort of disc repair was in the days of <512MB hard drives, so, apart
from things like power problems, these errors shouldn't happen.

> What is the easiest way to transfer the stuff.

  Buy new drive.
  Set as Slave.
  Connect temporarily in place of CD ROM drive.
  Configure 2 IDE hard drives.
  Copy everything to new drive.
  Configure 1 IDE hard drive again.
  Reset new drive to Master
  Remove old drive and replace with new drive.
  Replace CD ROM
  Start up computer and, after canceling errors, change name
      of new drive to the same name as the old drive.
  Re-boot

-- 
David Holden  -  APDL  -  <http://www.apdl.co.uk>
0
SpamBin5339 (850)
8/28/2008 5:57:16 AM
Reply: